Let's cut through the chase: Jesus didn't exist.

it's not unlikely to have been a pre-arranged stunt
-------------------

A pre-aranged stunt.......!
You have no idea the power of God..
Or His word spoken on the lips of His people
It's the very power of creation.
I just had a NDE, and was called back from the edge of death, with it's jaws snapping at my feet.
The prayer of believers brought me back to health, after the doctors had done all they could do and give me up for dead.
Thats the power of God.
It ain't no pre-arranged stunt.
The doctors themselves were using the word "miracle" after I walked out of the hospital on my own two feet, Jan 27.

Last edited:
[edited because I was slightly uncompassionate towards TheVisitor's illness.]

Well done for helping me make my point. My argument was that Jesus really existed because the miracles attributed to him were not really supernatural. Iasion suggested that Lazarus's resurrection could not really have happened. But if it happened to you, then obviously it could happen to Lazarus.

Seriously, though, Just. Butt. Out. We are not discussing matters that you can only cling on to through a subjective mind-altering called "faith". We are not going to convert to your way of looking at things, simply because you tell us that we "have no idea of the power of God". We are discussing history, not theology.

I'm happy for your recovery, at any rate.

Last edited:
Wow. Someone else who believes because of an NDE
-------------------
I believed twenty years before I had the NDE......
The journey starts at being born again by the Spirit.
Then your grow up as a spiritual warrior in the image of Christ.

[edited for content] :rolleyes:

And as for your discusing history....
Maybe you are because thats all you can do.
But I'm not talking about history.
God is real, here and His people are making it today.

Last edited:
Then fuck off out of this room, we don't want to have religion forced down our throats here. Kindly observe a little consideration and netiquette. Are you in the habit of constantly talking about God and your recent brush with death to your working colleagues and (say non-religious) friends? In which case you are nothing but a bore. Don't be a bore. I've defended you here and gently hinted that your kind of preaching is just not welcome in this particular discussion. I've done my best. Now piss off.

Silas said:
Then fuck off out of this room, we don't want to have religion forced down our throats here. Kindly observe a little consideration and netiquette. Are you in the habit of constantly talking about God and your recent brush with death to your working colleagues and (say non-religious) friends? In which case you are nothing but a bore. Don't be a bore. I've defended you here and gently hinted that your kind of preaching is just not welcome in this particular discussion. I've done my best. Now piss off.

I've been here for years....
Who's this "We" your talking about..?
Do you have multiple personalities...?
This is the religious thread. If you continue to rail against God, especially if He is with me as I have been saying....you'll go mad.
Others have the same way.....stark raving lunatic.
Sounds like your having a mental break, a psychotic episode.
Maybe you'd better take time to think before you speak.

Thread. Subforum. Kindly learn the difference. I'm not disputing that the subforum may well have theological threads on it where you can preach to your heart's content. Preaching here, where theology is not being disputed, is just rude.

It is my experience that many people go mad and have gone mad through religious zealotry of the kind that you are displaying. I've never heard of anyone going mad through railing against God.

I was arguing rigorously with Iasion and SnakeLord. There might well have been some gentle chiding of the nature of the illogicality of positions on either side. However, none of us felt the need to call the others "arrogant" or to accuse them of having a breakdown or psychotic episode. People here will tell you that I stoop to rudeness only very rarely, but I'm afraid you snapped my patience. I have been busy crafting arguments and organising thoughts, and have written four thousand words on the subject, and your irrelevant harping on about my "ignorance" was not really what I would call an appropriate response. Disagree with me all you want, but stop chastising me for not having experienced your individual subjective faith. Get a little humility yourself!

(By the way, I edited out the NDE part of my original post before you posted your response to it)

Last edited:
Silas said:
I was arguing rigorously with Iasion and snakelord

---------------
I've been doing that for years, we've developed quite a friendship although S.L. doesn't like to admit it.
We ain't buddies. We ain't neighbours, we ain't friends.. hell, I don't even like you.
Yes, going around the same old ground can get a little frustrating.
("have we found the same old fears") couldn't resist...
Sorry, if I pushed your buttons.

I didn't have an illness, I was protecting a lady friend when two or three gang bangers with weapons tried to rob us.
I was outnumbered and in the dark couldn't see the tire tool or the asailants. I had my skull crushed in several places and was left for dead.
There were two bleeding veins creating a large blood clot in the brain building pressure that was killing me.
I passed out in the ambulence, before the CAT scan and emergency brain surgery.
The doctors were quite skilled - hey they seemed to have hooked everything back up alright....but after they did all they could, I was still dying from brain swelling.
Thats when I was prayed for.
Thanks for the concern.........I've made a complete recovery, like I said it was a miracle.
I could have been dead, a vegetable, or crippled for life.
Or just left crazy.....there were some of those in the brain injury clinic that I was fortunate enough to leave walking on my own two feet.
Maybe I'm just grateful to be alive.
So please escuse my recent enthusiasm.
I don't even think it shaved any off my previous above average IQ, with the articfical blood vessels they installed, (or whatever they did) it might have even increased it a few points.
Hey, one can only hope. ;)

Last edited:
Heh. I made an incorrect deduction from documentary evidence! :D I checked your profile and saw that you hadn't posted for about 18 months prior to early February, so I assumed you'd been ill all that time and had only come back to the forum when you recovered.

Well, we'll leave it at that, then.

Dammit! Half way through a response then accidentally hit the left hand extra button on my mouse, went "Back" and lost everything!

It sucks when that happens. Nowadays I tend to just have notepad open and copy/paste every now and then.

of course we can't make a connection between the authors of the Pentateuch and a "real" Moses, or even David.

Ok. It is largely attested to that Moses was a later version of Sargon, much like Jesus is often considered to have been a later version of earlier stories and ideas.

These considerations of the mythological status of Moses, Noah and even Robin Hood, simply do not apply to Jesus, who at the very least was first written of by Paul - a man of the same generation and probably about the same age.

But you come to that conclusion on the basis that Jesus was written about as being around at 'nearly' the time of writing. But if, as stated above, he was a later telling of an earlier myth, it's not going to make the slightest difference. In either case they're talking about some possible character from eons before, but in the case of this update, they have attached it to their current time and society. It still does not promote validity for the story or existence of the characters.

This is seemingly your main conclusion, but I cannot help but disagree.

The Gospels too were written by people who had become Christians either through knowing Apostles or from people who had been converted by Apostles.

Again there would be an issue of bias. Undoubtedly Tom Cruise would give us all a lengthy sermon on the value and 'truth' of scientology, but that doesn't mean certain specific aliens actually exist.

Let's say that in 4000AD, fragments of an old book are found written by a member of the Unification Church. Are we to doubt Sun Myung Moon's existence simply because the Moonie in question never met him, but only knew people who had?

Without any evidence other than a handful of letters written by people with obvious bias, that couldn't agree on details - yes.

But just because the evidence disappears over time, that doesn't remove Moon's physical existence in the here and now.

No, but in 2000 years time when there is no evidence, then there certainly would be call for debate.

First of all, no I am not espousing that Gilgamesh as a real person.

Why ever not? He was written about 'at the time'. The city where he lived and the wall he built have been found etc etc. In actuality he has more evidence concerning his existence than Jesus does.

The Biblical evidence for Jesus is far better founded

Because people still preach it and for eons people were forcing others to believe it? The 'evidence' itself is but a small handful of stories.

Actually I haven't really been saying "the book says so"

But you have, because that's all there is. You're somehow trying to argue that Jesus existed because a couple of people wrote about him.. {at the time when he existed} <-- which in itself is a completely unfounded claim. As I said earlier, we haven't even got close to establishing that any such person did exist, and yet you're already handing me birth and death dates.

and I have repeatedly stated that obviously I don't believe in any of the miraculous parts of the tale.

But that is the Jesus they are writing about. It's probably that there were people named Jesus living in that time, so you need to look at what specific Jesus they are talking about. In this instance it's a guy that does miracles and is half a god.

Erm, the Gospels

So again.. jesus existed and died on a specific date because the book says so.

You're going to have to back that up with specific references.

For some reason I am expected to back up a statement concerning some serious scholars that doubt jesus' existence while you're not when you say "all"? Hmm.. I would oblige but then in your very next sentence you disallow me the opportunity to use anyone that disagrees with you. {pp} "By 'serious scholars' I mean anyone that agrees with me". It's ludicrous.

I'm not aware that anyone had even thought of writing a novel based on a fictional person that was supposed to be living today or in the very recent past.

So you not being aware, removes the possibility? There is no indication that Gilgamesh was written about hundred or thousands of years after his supposed existence, and yet you seemingly wont even give him the time of day.

And in a thousand years when there is not one person to be able to attest to that UFO landing, and the few other accounts concerning it written a hundred or more years after the supposed events, what validity would my one little account have?

Very little.

Ok, to stay with the NT, let's say there are four ufo accounts but all of them contradict each other. Would you justify it as a valid source of evidence?

Written by a bunch of UFO cult members - most probably not.

I said 5 people, but lets reduce it to 3, none of whom ever met Jesus.

So why do you consider it valid? It seems the only reason is that the story happens within a reasonable time to when the writers lived.. which I do disagree with.

First of all, the Eagles do exist, right? I mean, you're not claiming that just because people who claim to know someone famous don't actually know them, therefore the famous person doesn't exist, right?

That wasn't the point of my statement.

He was this guy who said things, attracted a following, pissed off the authorities and was executed.

Says who? Certainly not the "evidence" you're pointing at that says he was god's son and did miracles.

yet you disbelieve in Jesus when there's actually more written about him dating from only a few years after his death - {so the book claims} than there ever was for any of those

I still see no valid reason to believe in this person's alleged existence - pretty much merely on the basis that he was "supposedly" written about shortly after his "supposed" existence.

When Polycarp, reported by Irenaeus, said he knew the Beloved Disciple, that's not a declaration of faith, that's either the truth or a lie. It's not really the same kind of "conviction".

Why not?

A) He, (Irenaeus), was supposedly born in 130 - some 100 years after your claimed death of jesus and as a result is merely taking Polycarp's word for it.. While to Polycarp it would be either truth or lie, to Irenaeus it is faith.

B) Again these were religious men with clear and obvious bias.

(I really really hate to do this yet again!) So if you're lying about that, then Axl Rose never existed?

I really hate to say this again, but that was not the point of the statement.

You claimed that Irenaeus was biased because he was a Christian. But if why would he lie about talking to a man who claimed to know the Beloved Disciple, unless he was part of the whole Jesus Myth conspiracy which would have been being generated at that time?

Being a friend of a friend of a friend of god? That's something many people would want.

Well, you don't say if you believe in Varus or not, so it's pretty hard for me to argue with your response.

Until this moment I was not exactly familiar with Varus, and as such an answer is pretty hard to give.

*sigh* Jesus would be a "later copy of stories concerning Mithra" only if the new stories told of someone a couple of hundred years ago

Eh?

Nobody would make up a fictional person today, copying Jesus's story elements, claim him as a worship figure and then claim that this fictional person began preaching in 1960 and died in 1965.

Why not? Do you write much?

I do not see anybody doing the same thing for Joe Bloggs, someone I just made up.

I do it all the time, (although not for Joe Bloggs). Are you suggesting that Spiderman exists because he lives in 21st century New York? What is in 2000 years, (after some nukes have pretty much laid waste to our earth), a few survivors stumble on some 'spiderman' evidence. It even includes pictures of the man himself.

There really is an Axl Rose. My old Dad knew Montgomery (or at least saw him in the flesh), who himself met Winston Churchill. In the fullness of time, thousands of years away, perhaps that sentence I just typed will be the only documentary evidence for the existence of Winston Churchill. But does the gradual dropping away of all the evidence of his existence mean that he never existed?

No, but then that evidence needs to be looked at, and if that's all there is with concerns to evidence, you're in very little position to claim existence as fact. Need I go back to Spiderman? Imagine if in 2000 years these people found pictures and words concerning spiderman, and then a quote from me saying: "I went to see Spiderman on Saturday". For you that would clearly be enough - although you would undoubtedly remove any "powers" he is claimed to have had and say he was just a normal man that wore a funny suit.

The evidence works both ways. There are many Peter's in existence, but the authors are talking about a specific Peter that can cast webs, and fling through the city. In the case of Jesus they are talking about a man that preached and could do miracles. You dismiss one part, (even though it is part of that very same evidence), for some reason while accepting only one small portion.

There were probably dozens of Jesus's, which one are we talking about?

SnakeLord said:
But you come to that conclusion on the basis that Jesus was written about as being around at 'nearly' the time of writing. But if, as stated above, he was a later telling of an earlier myth, it's not going to make the slightest difference. In either case they're talking about some possible character from eons before, but in the case of this update, they have attached it to their current time and society. It still does not promote validity for the story or existence of the characters.
I don't understand why you can't see the difference between adding old mythological accoutrements to a real person, and taking an old mythological figure called Mithras and for no apparent reason recasting him as a Galilean carpenter called Jesus. The former is likely, the latter is unlikely. As to Jesus being "nearly the time of wriitng", it very definitely does make a difference. Jesus is so near the time of writing that it's just too unlikely that there wasn't somebody about whom the stories were based.

Your argument relies entirely on making allusion to modern fictional characters. There simply was no such thing in those times, unless you can prove differently. I haven't anything to hand, but I think you'll find that Gilgamesh definitely qualifies as "ancient myth" at the time of writing. In any case, Gilgamesh was quite typical of the kind of protagonist you would find at his time. He was a King right from the get-go.

I'm not talking about writing a book with Joe Bloggs in it, I'm talking about promoting a religion based on someone called Sun Myung Moon and his teachings, when Moon is actually a figment created by the Unification Church. This is surely highly, highly unlikely. But in any case, the creation of Jesus like that would have involved not only creating a religion and a demi-God to worship, but simultaneously inventing the contemporary novel, as far as I know an entirely new literary form.
And in a thousand years when there is not one person to be able to attest to that UFO landing, and the few other accounts concerning it written a hundred or more years after the supposed events, what validity would my one little account have?
Very little.
Ok, to stay with the NT, let's say there are four ufo accounts but all of them contradict each other. Would you justify it as a valid source of evidence?
Written by a bunch of UFO cult members - most probably not.
You're arguing with yourself there, or rather agreeing with yourself. You wrote the inner quotes, not me. Perhaps you could take another look at my responses to your points?

I said 5 people, but lets reduce it to 3, none of whom ever met Jesus.

So why do you consider it valid? It seems the only reason is that the story happens within a reasonable time to when the writers lived.. which I do disagree with.
I consider it valid because of what they said about him. I don't mean "Jesus was the Son of God and look at all the people he healed". I mean Galilean carpenter, taught and preached, annoyed the authorities (Jewish and Roman), tried and "crucified" (which may or may not involve a crossbeam, I'm not certain). Graham Stanton in Gospel Truth? holds this last as particularly telling, because crucifixion was utterly shameful, and the early Christians would hardly testify to his being crucified if they could possibly avoid it. But I personally am not completely convinced by that point.

First of all, the Eagles do exist, right? I mean, you're not claiming that just because people who claim to know someone famous don't actually know them, therefore the famous person doesn't exist, right?
That wasn't the point of my statement.
Surely the point is to cast doubt on Jesus's existence by raising doubt about people who make claims about him? Of course you can raise that doubt, but seemingly only by reference to genuinely famous people about whose existence there is no doubt. So, the point is lost, it seems to me.

I'll concede defeat on the Irenaeus/Polycarp thing because there we really are arguing in circles.

Until this moment I was not exactly familiar with Varus, and as such an answer is pretty hard to give.
That's fine. I myself haven't been reading much Roman history lately, so I was casting around for a 1st Century figure for whom there is no evidence except in historical texts (with the Caesars, obviously there are coins, etc), and I remembered the story of Varus from I, Claudius. And in fact there have been recent archaeological finds which back up the Teutoberger massacre finds.

No, but then that evidence needs to be looked at, and if that's all there is with concerns to evidence, you're in very little position to claim existence as fact.
Why does that not apply to other historical figures of the same era? The evidence for them is frequently less. Three different near-contemporary accounts, probably based on at least some eyewitness testimony? That's loads more than many other people get. You disregard documents that date back only as far as the fourth century, when for the vast majority of Latin and Greek classic texts there's nothing older than four to five centuries later still.

No, but then that evidence needs to be looked at, and if that's all there is with concerns to evidence, you're in very little position to claim existence as fact. Need I go back to Spiderman? Imagine if in 2000 years these people found pictures and words concerning spiderman, and then a quote from me saying: "I went to see Spiderman on Saturday". For you that would clearly be enough - although you would undoubtedly remove any "powers" he is claimed to have had and say he was just a normal man that wore a funny suit.
You make a good point. But notional claims about how a current character might be viewed in a few thousand years does not help us examine a person from thousands of years ago without throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You might as well claim that our evidence for the Caesars, or at least the people around them, is based on as little evidence and therefore should be discarded too. As I said to Iasion, the Gospel stories, however much obvious fabrication is within them, do not smell like traditional mythologies or fictions of the kind you read about Noah, Joseph, Moses, Jonah, Daniel or even Gilgamesh and Odysseus. The book of Daniel is a late-written fiction, we know, because the author got all the kings mixed up, incorrect and placed in entirely the wrong centuries. The Gospels, however, when detailing personalities generally gets it right - Augustus is Caesar for the birth of Christ, and Herod the Great was at the end of his reign at roughly that time. Also Quirinius was indeed governor of Syria. Tiberius was Caesar when Jesus was about thirty and preaching, and Antipas was tetrarch. Dating Jesus exactly runs into problems only if you are rigidly fixed on 0AD and Jesus being 30. He could have been born in the years BC when Herod was alive, or AD when Quirinius really did call a census, and he could have been in his forties rather than thirties when he was preaching. But certainly there is no firm disproof in the way there is with the Prophets Daniel or Jonah, where the personalities are completely incorrect or entirely fictional.

There were probably dozens of Jesuses, which one are we talking about?
I've heard this theory, too. The Jesus who came from Galilee, made a disturbance in the temple and was crucified by the authorities. Those details are fairly unique to him. (John was not from Galilee, and was executed by the Jewish tetrach, for instance. Other proto-Messiahs were better known because they made a better disturbance, like the one cited in Josephus who did John-like things at the Jordan and started a rebellion which ended when a Roman soldier cut his head off - this is all from memory, but I'll check my sources later).

You're going to have to back that up with specific references.
For some reason I am expected to back up a statement concerning some serious scholars that doubt jesus' existence while you're not when you say "all"? Hmm.. I would oblige but then in your very next sentence you disallow me the opportunity to use anyone that disagrees with you. {pp} "By 'serious scholars' I mean anyone that agrees with me". It's ludicrous.
Well, I quoted names of people who I believe are respected, and then backed up my reasons for not accepting the scholarship of some other names. If you would please give me some people that back your theory up, I'm happy to oblige. Of course, they pursue a theory with which I disagree, so I'm likely to find fault with their reasoning, as they would undoubtedly find fault with mine. At least I gave reasons for that. This is what scholarship is all about! Hardly "ludicrous". To be specific:
He was this guy who said things, attracted a following, pissed off the authorities and was executed.
Says who? Certainly not the "evidence" you're pointing at that says he was god's son and did miracles.
Stanton quotes E.P. Sanders (whom I referenced before, author of The Historical Figure of Jesus, Jesus and Judaism and a number of scholarly studies of Paul) who gives a list of 8 things that can "definitely" be said about Jesus, among which are that he was from Nazareth, that he preached, that he caused a disturbance in the Temple which caused him to make enemies of the Jewish temple authorities, and that he was executed. Obviously he does not back this up simply by saying "It says so in the New Testament", but by close reading and cross-referencing between the Gospels, what it says in Paul and other extra-Biblical sources.

Last edited:
@Silas, cc SnakeLord, Iasion

Hello, all

Silas said:
The Biblical evidence for Jesus is far better founded, but Jesus being Jesus, his existence is put into question in a way that wouldn't occur to people to apply to Varus.
Right, but because there is nothing supernatural about General Varus, perhaps?

Silas said:
Actually I haven't really been saying "the book says so" [...]
I'll back you up in that regard.

However-

Though you haven't resorted to quoting scripture, one of your points was that the incongruencies between the collection of books of the NT were suggestive of authenticty. By itself, I can see Snake's objection, but in my opinion it is a very elegant point when combined with the distinction between the styles of "modern fiction" and "retold fables or lore"... now, I can be dense, sure, but that PAIR of points really "grew on me."

I figured that Snake or Iasion would've either granted you that point, even tactily, or rebutted it with earlier writings; Genesis, for example, is obviously a "retold myth" and there are numerous other similar creation stories, SO, the more pressing question is then that of any "sharp contrast" of Paul's super-hero Jesus; was that Jesus similarly mythical or legendary?

The point I wish to make is- is there an 'Argument from the Evolution of Fiction' for (or against-) a historical Jesus?

How many years passed between when Genesis was allegedly written down by Moses, and Paul? 600 or more? How many years have elapsed since Paul? 1900? Years between the scriptural Genesis and Jesus? X,XXX? I suppose now it looks rather silly, but I think that it would be possible to plot characteristics of simple-fictions over time, and that of mega-myths (since there is a distinction), and that with enough data points for both, a timeline would become visible which would show how "fictional" or "mythical" certain concepts were from "world knowledge" at those times; surely some similar text analysis was done to detect which NT stories (and books) were older, and later derivative?

(My overall position is: no "Jesus Christ" and only a possible ordinary Jesus)

For One that proposes "the literary evidence is sufficent to indicate that a Jesus probably lived" they could make no better effort or case than you have, Silas; and I don't mean to be vulgar, only succinct, by describing this as the "if there's smoke, there's a fire" type position.

Is that terribly over-simplified?

Silas said:
[...] yet you disbelieve in Jesus when there's actually more written about him dating from only a few years after his death [...]

I took this important point very differently, and granted it wasn't what you had in mind, but it bears comment- that I think the issues of the supposed life and death of the Christian Jesus would be better resolved IF we only knew more about the timelines in consideration. Naturally, the tendency of Biblical Scholars is to put Paul and Mark as far back as possible, no?

Greetings

Last edited:
I don't understand why you can't see the difference between adding old mythological accoutrements to a real person, and taking an old mythological figure called Mithras and for no apparent reason recasting him as a Galilean carpenter called Jesus.

My issue comes with the fact that you can create a character from eons past or last weekend without that character being real. As a man that likes to write, I find I do it all the time.

Having given it some thought over the day, I have come to the conclusion that we are by and large talking about two different things. I find that when I write a story, the characters are generally a 'template' of someone that does exist. Although it might sound vain, in most cases the template is myself. I use my mannerisms, ideals, behaviour etc to create a character. The big but in the story is that the actual character is not real.

Yes, there might have been a jesus.. there were probably many of them.. but the jesus that has been written about - the character portrayed in the NT is clearly fictional - or there is certainly no evidence concerning the existence of such a character.

What you have done is stripped the character naked. No, this isn't true, this isn't true and neither is this, but there was a guy named jesus. Once you do that there is no meaning to the topic anymore. Did jesus exist? Sure.. hundreds did. Did the jesus from the bible exist? It's a completely different question.

Was the character's 'persona' taken from real people? Most likely.. it usually is - but that does not make the person real. There would have been many long haired carpenters that knew religious texts and preached it - and the biblical texts could have happily been a mass amalgamation of all of these people without anyone ever doubting a word. The only thing that separates these people is the acts attributed to the character - in this case his role as son of god, his miracles etc etc. Without them we are no longer talking about a specific person.

Generally when a person turns into a mythological character, or becomes a 'legend'.. the miraculous aspects come along eons later, (as you yourself would most likely agree to given your earlier statements concerning Thatcher etc). To add miraculous components to a person that is apparently right there, right then is either because the miraculous components are true or because the story is a work of fiction.

You would either have to espouse right now that Paul, (who you state was around at the same sort of time), is either giving a factual account of a character or he's talking utter horseshit.

You have told me that jesus pretty much must have existed because the stories concerning him were written at a time where other people would have known about him and "would have been able to consult with living friends and followers of Jesus", but then the same must ring true for the man's actions aswell? Paul states that this man walked on water.. the people there at the time must have been able to find out whether there was any validity to that claim as much as they would have been able to find out whether this specific jesus person actually existed?

As to Jesus being "nearly the time of wriitng", it very definitely does make a difference. Jesus is so near the time of writing that it's just too unlikely that there wasn't somebody about whom the stories were based.

And yet while writing about a real person that everyone could verify, the author decided to also add a bunch of old cobblers for the mere sake of it in the hopes that nobody would attempt to verify it?

Your argument relies entirely on making allusion to modern fictional characters. There simply was no such thing in those times, unless you can prove differently.

My argument comes in several forms:

A) The lack of evidence, (external non-bias evidence).

B) That for some reason you deny 3/4 of the story but agree with 1/4 on the basis that people were there to refute it if it was lies.

C) That fictional characters do exist and have always existed. While, as I stated earlier, they are often a 'template' of real people, the actual characters are entirely fictional.

What you're doing is saying "Peter Parker is real but Spiderman isn't" - even though they are both the same character and written about at the same time, in the same text, by the same author. How can you justify dismissing one while accepting the other when they are both the same thing?

jesus was a man that walked on water and healed the sick. If you dismiss the walking on water and healing of the sick, then we're no longer talking about jesus, but any old jackass that happened to have long hair.

But in any case, the creation of Jesus like that would have involved not only creating a religion and a demi-God to worship, but simultaneously inventing the contemporary novel, as far as I know an entirely new literary form.

A) The creation of jesus did involve a new religion and a new demi-god. It wasn't Joe Bloggs that was being written about, but a man born of god's willy. A man that raised the dead and led possessed pigs to suicide.

B) As for inventing a new literary form, I'll have to have a quick browse after a snooze :)

or rather agreeing with yourself.

Well, I certainly concur that I am agreeing with myself. It would seem silly not to. Indeed if I wasn't going to agree with myself, I just wouldn't say anything to begin with :D

I consider it valid because of what they said about him. I don't mean "Jesus was the Son of God and look at all the people he healed". I mean Galilean carpenter, taught and preached, annoyed the authorities (Jewish and Roman), tried and "crucified" (which may or may not involve a crossbeam, I'm not certain).

But as stated above, in doing so we're not talking about jesus anymore. We're not talking about the person that Paul etc wrote about. I have no issues believing that carpenters existed, or that many many many people got crucified after annoying authorities. None of that makes jesus real.

Of course for Paul and the bunch, these things were the norm of the day. Nowadays stories do not have people being crucified, but people being shot in the head while wandering the ghetto looking for some "charlie", (coke). I am not disagreeing that there are people getting shot in the head while looking for charlie in the ghetto, but that a specific person named Wayne that gets charlie by flying round on a magic carpet with people shooting at him ever existed. Perhaps if there was some dude named Wayne that was quite a hero amongst ghetto drug dealers and then was turned into legend as time passed it would be understandable, (and thus my earlier arguments concerning Gilgamesh etc), but to add all those fictional pieces of nonsense to Wayne while he's still walking the ghetto seems less credible than the other way around.

In essence I am debating the opposite to you here.

Surely the point is to cast doubt on Jesus's existence by raising doubt about people who make claims about him? Of course you can raise that doubt, but seemingly only by reference to genuinely famous people about whose existence there is no doubt. So, the point is lost, it seems to me.

The point was simply that people make shit up.

Why does that not apply to other historical figures of the same era? The evidence for them is frequently less.

Well then it does, or should. Of course it wont generally get so much attention for reasons we both agreed to earlier.

Three different near-contemporary accounts, probably based on at least some eyewitness testimony?

Supposed eyewitness that attested to there being a hippy carpenter, or a hippy carpenter that walked on water. Why dismiss it if those very same supposed eyewitnesses attested to the latter, but find them credible if they just attest to the former even though the actual claim concerns the latter just as much as the former?

You disregard documents that date back only as far as the fourth century

Certainly. They're a few hundred years too late to actually have a say in the matter.

“ “ He was this guy who said things, attracted a following, pissed off the authorities and was executed. ”

Again, we could be talking about anyone. The jesus we are talking about was not just that, he was a lot more. If you're going to strip the character naked, we're not talking about that character anymore, but something entirely different.

Obviously he does not back this up simply by saying "It says so in the New Testament", but by close reading and cross-referencing between the Gospels, what it says in Paul and other extra-Biblical sources.

So.. because the book says so, (and some other much latter bias claims)?

Last edited:
SnakeLord said:
jesus was a man that walked on water and healed the sick. If you dismiss the walking on water and healing of the sick, then we're no longer talking about jesus, but any old jackass that happened to have long hair.
Ok, That made me rofl.

SnakeLord said:
Well, I certainly concur that I am agreeing with myself. It would seem silly not to. Indeed if I wasn't going to agree with myself, I just wouldn't say anything to begin with :D

Who can argue with that? Oh, wait... =D

Always a good read, man. Every word and smilie.

Cheers

TheVisitor said:
I had my skull crushed in several places and was left for dead.
There were two bleeding veins creating a large blood clot in the brain building pressure that was killing me.
The doctors were quite skilled - hey they seemed to have hooked everything back up alright....but after they did all they could, I was still dying from brain swelling.
Thats when I was prayed for.
I've made a complete recovery, like I said it was a miracle.

Or the doctors simply did their job, no miracles required. Although I herald your gallantry and sympathize with your misfortune, I see no reason you would think that the skilled hands of a doctor are somehow the hands of a god. Your misplaced appreciation is reproachable and would signify your recovery is alleged.

Maybe I'm just grateful to be alive.

Then, rather than trying to convince anyone your situation changed as a result of perceived devine intervention, you should be calling up those skilled doctors immediately and thanking them profusely.

If your delusions are a result of their work, then never mind.

qwerty mob said:
SnakeLord said:
Ok, That made me rofl.
Well, I'm glad someone was entertained. But as far as I can see, SnakeLord is descending from his high standards for argument, by creating ridiculous straw men. From my point of view Jesus either had a deep and profound affect on Peter and James, their friend who affected their lives so deeply they dedicated the rest of their lives to his memory, or Peter and James made him up as a fiction. The latter is unlikely and in the former case, well, obviously Jesus wasn't "any old jackass".

And I personally am not prejudging the length of his hair. I'm certainly not claiming that Robert Powell was the foundation stone of Christianity.

Supposed eyewitness that attested to there being a hippy carpenter, or a hippy carpenter that walked on water. Why dismiss it if those very same supposed eyewitnesses attested to the latter, but find them credible if they just attest to the former even though the actual claim concerns the latter just as much as the former?
It's sad that you keep using "walking on water" as if this were some bona fide supernatural event impossible by any means, that therefore could not be witnessed. As it happens, then, I'm not dismissing 3/4 of the story and retaining 1/4. If we exclude John as a philosophical work with only passing points of contact with the synoptic gospels, I'm only dismissing the parts that were clearly added afterwards, like Mary's giving birth while still a virgin (and obviously all the meeting with Angels etc). I don't dismiss the walking on water. I don't dismiss the healing of the sick. But, as I'd hoped to make clear, not because I think Jesus was defying gravity and water displacement physics, and commanding bacteria. I don't dismiss the Crucifixion and Resurrection, either, as a statement of what happened. He died too soon, he was placed in a tomb (not even buried underground), there were no witnesses, not even third person written ones (such as Moses talking to the Burning Bush or getting the Ten Commandments), but simply a record of what was found the next day. I've never heard of any other myth that finished like that. I could be certainly be wrong about that, and possibly the whole Resurrection thing was simply the triumph of hope over experience, but the clues are there, it seems to me, that he never died in the first place.

Jesus wasn't any old jackass. He was a guy who said things, new things that affected people. He said one thing too many and paid the price, under a repressive regime. That this one man became revered around the world and changed the shape of it forever, is an accident of history. If things had gone differently, Christianity might today be a minority sect of Judaism, like the Chasidim. As far as I can see, people only accord him the privilege of being an entirely fictional character because of these later accidents of history and the importance he has in the world to this day. For Jesus to be a fiction supposes enormous prescience on the part of Paul and the other living Apostles at the time Paul was writing, that this fiction would be overpoweringly powerful - as if their intention was to create a new Church altogether. If they were simply the followers of a martyr, however, no such prescience is called for.

And that, I'm afraid, is my last word on the subject. Because over the past few days, excessive dwelling on the Bible and biblical matters has driven me close to a breakdown. Reading and talking too much about Religion, even if one doesn't subscribe to anything but a rational view of it, well, that way madness lies. My feelings have been exacerbated by discovering that despite it no longer being the XVIth century, certain Protestant Christians are still very eager to attack Catholics, let alone describe Islam as evil on the basis that "our Book says this but your Book says that". If only Religion could "eat itself" so completely there were only us rationalists left. I'm bowing out from the Religious forum for a while, because the whole thing just makes my head hurt.

Right, Silas, and you'll recognize that I've made that same clear distinction before- that one can accept a possibly-historical Jesus without all the alleged miracles; long-haired "jackass" temple-wrecker or not. I separate the two as "Jesus Christ" and an "ordinary Jesus" or "Yesh'ua bin Jospeh" or whatever his name might have been; history isn't clear; and by the time the Gospels are written, posterity knows next to nothing about this alleged person's life. I argued this point with "ConsequentAtheist" some years ago, and was handed nothing but personal contempt and empty ridicule.

Now, Snake has a much stronger take on it than I do, and if it seemed as though I was simply cheerleading his point of view, I can only apologize and suggest that one keep an open mind and a sense of humor both.

Or not.

Levity, not ridicule per se, is often the final synthesis on this topic, because neither the thesis nor antithesis are particularly gravitational or illuminating.

Recall the "Allegory of the Invisible Green Dragon." =)

Cheers

If your delusions are a result of their work, then never mind.
They "the doctors", used the word miracle I said....from observing the way I rcovered from the point of death.
They did a fine job but after they did all they could do....it wasn't enough.
After tramatic injury....the brain continues to swell.
If you refuse to accept "miracles"
That's your delusion not mine.....go ahead and live in it if that makes you happy.

The doctors probably used the word 'miracle' to describe how unlikely a recovery was. I doubt they actually meant that it was impossible for you to recover without the guidance of a mythical being.

I use the word miracle too but never attribute it to an imaginary friend.

Back