lesbian justice

Let the lesbians dance. I mean really.
Since this is an Ethics forum and not simply a 'Law Discussion' Forum I would like to say that while their may be no legal recourse against said private school
I think it is immoral to keep the lesbians from dancing with their partners.

Next thing you know they won't let in Jews.

They will let Jews in as long as they are not lesbians.

myles what the hell are you talking about? of course there are public schools, infact the state system is the biggest 8 systems in the country (ok im guessing with the NT but i assume it is). actually i wonder if its called a state school in the ACT and the NT *shrugs* anyway

shorty public schools are all required to follow the anti discrimination act in ALL states and territories, they dont have a choice. Further more if you read the artical i posted on page 1 you will see a quote from the the education department spokesmen on this issue

from post 13 said:
A NSW Education Department spokesman said same-sex couples would be allowed at school balls or formals in the state system.

"Discrimination is not tolerated in public schools. The Department's policies require principals to act against such behaviour, including homophobia," he said.

"Further, depending on the circumstances, it is likely that to refuse entry to same-sex partners at a school-organised formal would breach anti-discrimination legislation."

myles what the hell are you talking about? of course there are public schools, infact the state system is the biggest 8 systems in the country (ok im guessing with the NT but i assume it is). actually i wonder if its called a state school in the ACT and the NT *shrugs* anyway

shorty public schools are all required to follow the anti discrimination act in ALL states and territories, they dont have a choice. Further more if you read the artical i posted on page 1 you will see a quote from the the education department spokesmen on this issue
It also seems to me the school should not be in the position of trying to determine if two women are friends or lovers.

I said PUBIC schools

Can they go alone? Then you can just purchase individual tickets and go with your partner regardless. That's what I would do. I went to my junior prom with another girl because I didn't want to pay the singles price. There were no rules regarding who your date was as long as they went to the school or if they didn't weren't more than 2 years older than you. That's a stupid rule, but I don't see how they can really enforce it, unless of course you can't go by yourself.

myles, so was i

there are 3 systems in australia

the public system where all workers are employees of the education department
the independent system of which the catholic system is the biggest single unit (hence why its referd to as a seperate system)

ALL schools no matter what system must teach the same cirulum which includes things like sex ed (real sex ed, not what they teach in the US) and REAL science not creatioisum. no school can get creative when it comes to these sorts of things because the ciruiculam is set by the education department even if the schools are independent.

the final 2 years are even more restristive with all exams and assesments decided by the relivent boards like BOS (bord of studys) and they all must conform to the university assements set by orgaisations like VTAC (victorian teritary assement, umm cant rember what the c stands for), this even goes for religion if they are studying it.

anyway we have a public system and its the biggest system ok?

Again, it's private property and frankly you can't blame the people for not wanting a bunch of lesbians on their property.

Is the school allowed to ban other groups of people based on race or religion too? The Catholic schools where I live aren't allowed too, even though they are private schools. The students will be instructed in Catholic beliefs, but you don't have to be Catholic to attend, you can even be open about your other faith if you want.

Again, it's private property...
You can't keep blacks as a group off of all kinds of private property. For example.
....and frankly you can't blame the people for not wanting a bunch of lesbians on their property.
Sure we can.
I happen to be standing on private property while I blame them.
but even if I was on public property, I would go ahead and blame them anyway.

Point is, it's private property and you can't blame people for not being comfortable with lesbians. I'm not.

Is the school allowed to ban other groups of people based on race or religion too? The Catholic schools where I live aren't allowed too, even though they are private schools. The students will be instructed in Catholic beliefs, but you don't have to be Catholic to attend, you can even be open about your other faith if you want.

they can discriminate based on religion with the aim being to preferance catholics over everyone else. they dont ban the non religious (or other religions) but if your a member of the atached church you get first in, then other parishes, then the rest and if the school fills up just with members of there own church thats to bad.

race, political views and sexual oriantation on the other hand are different, they legally CANT discriminate based on them except in NSW and the ACT

Point is, it's private property and you can't blame people for not being comfortable with lesbians. I'm not.

Sure we can.
I happen to be standing on private property while I blame them.
but even if I was on public property, I would go ahead and blame them anyway.

Note: Sorry for the plagiarism there, SA, but I can't think of a better way to answer Norsefire's redundant post. ;)

No I'm not comfortable with them. Until I learned about homosexuality I simply assumed man and woman was the universal way it always was

Quite naturally, I am uncomfortable watching something that goes against what I always knew

I'm sure if you take any average man and place him in a room where two gay men are making out, he will feel uncomfortable more so than if it was a straight couple.

No I'm not comfortable with them. Until I learned about homosexuality I simply assumed man and woman was the universal way it always was

Quite naturally, I am uncomfortable watching something that goes against what I always knew
Yes, quite naturally. You're lucky you don't have the ability to watch this stuff all the time. I mean, if there were cameras everywhere, for example, you would probably go insane... :poke:

I'm sure if you take any average man and place him in a room where two gay men are making out, he will feel uncomfortable more so than if it was a straight couple.
What do you base this on? Do you consider yourself "average"?

Yes, quite naturally. You're lucky you don't have the ability to watch this stuff all the time. I mean, if there were cameras everywhere, for example, you would probably go insane...
I do not think people have sex in the streets or in public areas. At least not legally.

What do you base this on? Do you consider yourself "average"?

On the likelyhood that most people also grow up in a straight environment and on the media see marriage and love with straight couples and in books read about man and woman and after all of this they logically assume that man and woman is the norm.

Back