Isn't time that Humanity was more important than any religion

But how is that failure? You define success by unattainable criteria. As far as we can tell, the very condition you call failure is the only condition which exists.
hence material nature defeats everyone - in fact what we call success is simply working hard to postpone whatever material nature ultimately undoes

This assumes that happiness is defined only by eternal life, and no other kind of happiness is attainable. I would disagree vehemently with that definition. It may in fact be valid to you, but to say that atheism--which does not posit some eternal existence--is therefore a failure is incorrect.
actually its simply about how the present condition of things is simply unsatisfactory ... or have the very real risk of becoming unsatisfactory (ie whatever grants happiness will also grant unhappiness in its absence - therefore people often attribute effective contingency plans as being "happiness" although its not really the case)

I disagree. You can't have a transcendental existence, you can only believe that you one day will. If that soothes you, then mission accomplished irrespective of the validity of the belief.
having a transcendental existence is simply not being in a state the is ultimately dictated by conditioned life. IOW the only individuals who can't have a transcendental existence are persons sold out to conditioned life - of course atheists have a difficult time acknowledging this because entertaining religion as anything more than a "myth" or "fabrication" (or something else that is essentially false) seriously disrupts their world view.

No, it's the deal for everyone. Whether you want to admit it or not, your god is a myth and your existence is temporary.
lol
actually I typed the above paragraph before I read this one
classic example of what i was talking about

No amount of faith can save you from reality. Of course, you can delude yourself, but your consciousness will blink out of existence just like everyone else's.
I don't expect you to speak on the nature of being free from conditioned life by dint of your own experience ... namely because its the nature of an atheist to have no other scope other than conditioned life.

IOW the only way you can approach the subject is in a theoretical manner.

As for there being no other choice, there are plenty of people who don't accept it and lie to themselves out of fear. Mother Theresa is a rather famous example of someone who spent their entire lives trying to silence their own doubt through works. But in the end, she had to admit that she just didn't feel it.
I think I missed the point where you established Mother Theresea as exemplifying the highest platform of transcendental existence in the material world
You know, I get the distinct impression that your biggest contention with atheism is that it's unpleasant. It's as if you find it inferior because it doesn't promise you eternal happiness. I'm sorry you feel that way, but its unpleasantness doesn't have any bearing on its validity.
The only thing unpleasant about atheism is that it has a limited scope for thought and action (and no capacity to actually solve the important problems of life - eg apavarga etc)

It functions like that at all thresholds of religious practice. At least in terms of monotheism. Perhaps it's different in faiths that don't require submission and prostration by its followers.
funnily enough conditioned life is characterized by an intense reluctance to submit to authority (of any sort) - its kind of the interesting social dynamic which makes the conditioned world what it is ... (aside from the standard issues of temporary existence etc)

2399395066_52d600ff4f.jpg

I did no such thing. I simply pointed out the error in you making absolute assumptions about the limits of medicine and technology. I never said those hypothetical advancements were required to have a good life and be happy.
so if they are not problems that require solving, why bring it up ...

And as I said, you don't seem to know anything about atheism, or atheists, save for what you've read on theist apologist websites. The fact that you don't seem to process anything said by actual atheists here at Sci speaks to this point. But then, I suppose ignoring reality in favor of ideas that are comfortable to you (atheists are mostly stupid, save for this mysterious second type which pretty much agrees with everything I say, and even then they're only "a bit more intellectual," etc.) is the very thing that brings you to your god, so I shouldn't be surprised.

:shrug:
On the contrary I am guessing that you have never met them because you are not in the habit of travelling around with the express purpose of discussing your views with other individuals (I don't know what made you think they agree with theists - actually they are capable of a certain depth of crafty argument that you won't find with your standard run of the mill dawkinsesque atheist) .

I just explained how I have actually met them, and even how certain individuals here on sci exemplify the same creed, and you are still trying to tell me I haven't met them and they don't exist.

And one more thing about this:

If one cannot accept another as having experiences more valid than one's self in a respectful manner (ie acknowledging that some one is better than you at something and not being envious about it) all criticism becomes inactionable.

Or alternatively, if one draws the line at anyone being better than one's self (ie we are all on an equal platform) criticism is also greatly diminished (and even then, only occurs if there is a strong bond of friendship between the people)

You are strawmaning.

I have never claimed that I refuse guidance altogether, nor have I ever said that I think I am better than everyone else, nor that I am equal to everyone else.
Much of my endeavor has been focused on finding a suitable person to learn from.

I just wish that the theists who preach to me would be more humane. That they would actually be worth submitting to.

Is that too much to ask for?

i mean a discipline, as differing from just thinking about ethics, in various modes, artistic, religious etc. and applying various feelings and ideas without focus or depth of information.

Sure, that is the whole point.

Early Buddhism (ie. the Buddhism of the Pali Canon), for example, works out the principles for such discipline.

Historically, the Stoics also made a point to have a thorough system of beliefs and according practices.

Some forms of theism also.

I'm rather bewildered by the idea that ethics could be done without philosophical discipline.

funnily enough conditioned life is characterized by an intense reluctance to submit to authority (of any sort) - its kind of the interesting social dynamic which makes the conditioned world what it is ...

No, I think that conditioned life is characterized by an intense uncertainty as to who in fact is authoritative. Instead, there are all kinds of people and organizations, each of them claiming to be authoritative, each of them competing with each other, each of them criticizing and demeaning others.

Reluctance to submit to a supposed authority follows from that uncertainty.

If your religion is authoritative, why isn't Barack Obama a Hare Krishna? Why aren't any of the presidents of other countries and other influential people of the world Hare Krishnas?
And if they are so in secret - then why are they so in secret?

It's difficult, to the point of impossible, to give much credence to self-professed authorities - such as supposed religious authorities - when these same people have no relevant position in the governance of worldly matters.

No, I think that conditioned life is characterized by an intense uncertainty as to who in fact is authoritative. Instead, there are all kinds of people and organizations, each of them claiming to be authoritative, each of them competing with each other, each of them criticizing and demeaning others.

Reluctance to submit to a supposed authority follows from that uncertainty.

If your religion is authoritative, why isn't Barack Obama a Hare Krishna? Why aren't any of the presidents of other countries and other influential people of the world Hare Krishnas?
And if they are so in secret - then why are they so in secret?

It's difficult, to the point of impossible, to give much credence to self-professed authorities - such as supposed religious authorities - when these same people have no relevant position in the governance of worldly matters.
precisely

There are some very good reasons why submission to authority doesn't make sense in the material world

And one more thing about this:

You are strawmaning.

I have never claimed that I refuse guidance altogether, nor have I ever said that I think I am better than everyone else, nor that I am equal to everyone else.
Much of my endeavor has been focused on finding a suitable person to learn from.

I just wish that the theists who preach to me would be more humane. That they would actually be worth submitting to.

Is that too much to ask for?
Yet you are already making statements about an entire creed "not being worth it"

precisely

There are some very good reasons why submission to authority doesn't make sense in the material world

If you think I have made the point precisely, do you still maintain that "conditioned life is characterized by an intense reluctance to submit to authority (of any sort)"?

We have worldly "authorities" fighting with each other, then we have religious "authorities" fighting with each other, and then we have worldly "authorities" fighting with religious "authorities."

The only thing that is constant in all this is the fighting.

Makes one wish that they should just go and have a final battle to the death, to finally settle who is to be the real authority.

You continually make absolute claims about things that are under discussion, and regarded by the other poster as not yet settled.
The response you're so up in arms about was in response to a claim of the opposite by another poster. Was I supposed to just accept his position?

Is that the only option you see?

precisely

You would not submit to natured authority? That is stupid. I understand not submitting to authority "figures" because they aren't true, true authority is a star child.

Syne said:
You did not qualify "common" and "standard" as being in the microcosm of internet science forums, where atheism tends to be grossly over-represented. This is a bit of cherry-picking you should have just copped to immediately instead of making all of these justifications.
as usual, you jump all over every little deviation from your reality tunnel as though you had a point. Of course, the standard position in America is not atheism, it is a sketchily defined god, and the belief that religion is confused, just as i stated. Do you really believe that isn't the standard? If so please tell me what the standard is. As far as ideas being in common use, among people all over the world it is clear that the "problem of evil" is discussed and argued over, not just in internet forums, and people do trot out the millennia-old ideas. If you wish to dispute that, please present your case, i.e. say they do not, don't just try to define my points in terms i don't support.

"Little deviation"? You are the one asserting a false dilemma based solely on your chosen perspective ("reality tunnel"). Just because there are a variety of conceptions of god does not mean that the majority of those conceptions are in any way "sketchy" or uncertain. You are also making a hasty generalization of all conceptions of god that heavily glosses over the individual conceptions. These fallacious arguments have a definite atheistic/agnostic bent. The "standard" is that, among the majority who do believe in a higher power, the overwhelming majority believes in a specific god:
ao6-3e1dqkk33bgf7vn_vg.gif

"Higher power" or "universal spirit" are terms used for a "sketchy" conception, and these statistics show that these are an overwhelming minority. The "standard" is that those who believe in a particular god do not feel any uncertainty about its nature, and this is a natural consequence of faith. Even among differing denominations of Christianity, where they greatly disagree about biblical interpretation, their concept of god is largely the same. This is why their god has very well-known attributes, i.e. omnipotence, omnipresence, omniscience, etc..

And why do you insist on introducing new non sequiturs at every turn? What does the problem of evil have to do with the belief in a god? This can only be a blatant red herring in an attempt to throw me off your heavily biased perspective. You are asking me to refute something I never claimed was in dispute.

no, you are conflating all that with your false ideas of what i said. Unlike you, i realize that there are a bunch of people out there all believing different stuff, and their attempt, and possible failures, to "know God" imply only that God may be found in the bible, according to some. You are the only one who is trying to jump on semantics instead of dealing with the ideas.

Again, why can you not just admit that you were talking about a small subset of the population when you say "common"? I have no false idea about what you said, as you have already fully verified it:
CG said:
i didn't say that christians believe that. I said it was a pretty common idea, as shown by looking at sciforums for one thing.
You have already admitted that what you said was qualified as pertaining only to this particular subset.

ad hoc
adj
1. Formed for or concerned with one specific purpose
2. Improvised and often impromptu​
can you just come straight out and say something obviously ridiculous such as presenting the idea that my usage of the phrase "ad hoc" is not used commonly for, "the first thing you can grab"? Are you REALLY willing to say that my usage isn't seen all the time? Sad.

Show me ANY source that supports that usage. I have looked, just to give you the benefit of the doubt. Nothing. And the more bare assertions you make on the matter, without any support whatsoever, the deeper you dig your hole. Now you could try to say, for example, that becoming a Rastafarian is an ad hoc excuse to smoke pot, but even that does not make Rastifari an ad hoc religion.

as i said, please go on pretending my usage was not a common one, if that makes you feel you had a point. And various versions of christianity are being constructed all the time by millions around the world, so whatevs dude.

Between the Tim Leary "reality tunnel" and the "whatevs dude", maybe you are better off sticking to the pot smoking. Now you are claiming that "versions of christianity" are being formed, which would actually be a proper use of "ad hoc" if formed for a specific purpose (see the above definition). This seems to indicate that you know your previous use was wrong and are now seeking to change the context, ex post facto, to justify yourself. It cannot be "readily available" or "at hand" if it must be formed to suit a specific purpose.

Syne said:
If you really must have something Latin for "readily accessible" try "opportunus".
first off, not often used and a douchey thing to include in one's writing. Second, i didn't mean to say, "suitable", or "advantageous", or "useful". I meant to say, as is a common usage for "ad hoc", "closest thing you can grab". If you really must be a douche, and pick at nothing because you don't have an actual argument against what i am saying, please douche in private.

Are you done with you little tantrum? Opportunus means convenient, so how is the "closest thing you can grab" not convenient? And how often a phrase is used is no excuse for misuse. I guess you would also defend the usage of "ironic" by Alanis Morissette with an argument by consensus as well.

i said, "decisions on morality without agreeing with a particular biblical idea", so ACTUALLY i was specifically talking about a SPECIFIC principle. Another false problem your strange reading of my words has created.

No, just another in your ever-growing list of complete non sequiturs. It would be a false dilemma to suppose that disagreement about many unrelated biblical principles necessitates a fundamental disagreement about the nature of a god.

Syne said:
Do you have to vote for a particular elected official in order to believe they hold a public office? No, your actions are inconsequential to your belief.
Would you walk over a bridge without believing it will hold you up? It is just as simple to say that all your actions are contingent on your beliefs, as to say they aren't. This is a silly point to argue. EDIT* what i mean by this is that it is a silly argument to have from either side right now, not that your idea here is more silly than the contrary idea.

Thanks for illustrating my point so well. You very well may need to believe that a bridge will hold you before crossing it, but that belief does not mean you MUST cross every such bridge. Belief does not necessitate action. Contingent is not the same as necessary. Damn, just crack a dictionary.

CONTINGENT
1: likely but not certain to happen
2: not logically necessary

Synonym: incidental​

What is silly is that you are arguing something you have no argument for.

Orphic similarity was simply a possibility, a perfectly valid possibility, so please show otherwise with some reasoning or sources. Also, until you show Valentinus rejects the "any such systems of morality" you, one of which is partially described by his own words in the fragment i posted, you aren't making your point. Please address that if you wish to actually MAKE a POINT.

Funny you should demand someone make a point while refusing to do so yourself. Hypocrite. There is nothing "perfectly valid" without some reason, and only trolls and hacks continually shift the burden of their own claims. You made the claim, so it is yours to defend. You have yet to give me anything to rebut, so no rebuttal is necessary. Some vague arm waving about some unknown "possible" similarities is no argument at all. Just hot air.

"Speak concerning the truth to those who seek it and of knowledge to those who, in their error, have committed sin. Make sure-footed those who stumble and stretch forth your hands to the sick. Nourish the hungry and set at ease those who are troubled. Foster men who love. Raise up and awaken those who sleep. For you are this understanding which encourages. If the strong follow this course, they are even stronger. Turn your attention to yourselves. Do not be concerned with other things, namely, that which you have cast forth from yourselves, that which you have dismissed. Do not return to them to eat them. Do not be moth-eaten. Do not be worm-eaten, for you have already shaken it off. Do not be a place of the devil, for you have already destroyed him. Do not strengthen your last obstacles, because that is reprehensible. For the lawless one is nothing. He harms himself more than the law. For that one does his works because he is a lawless person. But this one, because he is a righteous person, does his works among others.

Where in this do you see anything that indicates that these are commandments or in any way obligatory. If you read just a few sentences further you would find:
"For by the fruits one knows the things that are yours..."

By your actions you are known. This is an admonishment that, if you have achieved gnosis, your actions will be congruent. It actually makes a point to only worry about yourself and let the lawless destroy themselves.

Valentinus says "do x and y". Please present the gnostic material that shows we are our own law if you wish to make a point. My initial distrust of your statement comes when you use the word "never".

Straw man, as I have said nothing about being "our own law".
Another related concept is the moral core of an individual, which is assumed to be innate. This, in some religious systems and beliefs (e.g. Gnosticism), is assumed to be the basis of all aesthetics and thus moral choice. Moral codes as such are therefore seen as coercive—part of human politics. -wiki(morality)

If the words “ethics” or “morality” are taken to mean a system of rules, then Gnosticism is opposed to them both. Such systems usually originate with the Demiurge and are covertly designed to serve his purposes. If, on the other hand, morality is said to consist of an inner integrity arising from the illumination of the indwelling spark, then the Gnostic will embrace this spiritually informed existential ethic as ideal.

To the Gnostic, commandments and rules are not salvific; they are not substantially conducive to salvation. Rules of conduct may serve numerous ends, including the structuring of an ordered and peaceful society, and the maintenance of harmonious relations within social groups.
-gnosis.org​

Christians view their code of conduct as normative and compulsory.

Syne said:
You are the only one running with this straw man about accepting Iranaeus as any sort of authority. All apparently to avoid having to refute the fact that gnosticism has a generally secular morality, subject to moral relativism.
YOU brought him into this as SOMETHING, if not an authority, then what? If you were just presenting iranaeus as a possible description of Gnosticism, I can easily accept that. You could have just said that.

I did source that as a quote from wiki, and that quote made my initial point that wars are fought for power, not ideology alone (which I believe you have already agreed with). It is only you who has insisted that it said anything authoritative about Gnosticism. That is your own problem.

i said, "If some future person were to find an attack on christianity, based on an attack on fundamentalist ideas, from someone who may or may not have properly understood what christians actually taught, with no possibility of hearing christianity's description of its own ideology, we couldn't say that that was entirely informative material." It is pretty clear what i was talking about, i.e. the fact that we are not completely informed on Gnosticism. Do you deny that there is some lack of historical material describing gnosticism and additionally that there are conflicting ideas about what teachers should even be considered gnostic?

Nope, repeating a convoluted mess does not make it any less convoluted. Are commentaries on the Bible any more reliable, seeing as they are just as biased? Ultimately, we have no more or less than the scripture. Everything else is open to the same biases.

what are the basic human rights that go well with a submission to authority? There is some line totalitarians cross when keeping rigid guidelines between the authority and the subjugated.
How does a hindu reasonably defend women's lack of rights, or is that being sorted out the same way the problem of christian empire has been sorted out, i.e. a slow change over many many years?
Why is it that basic human rights in the middle east and far east are at levels similar to centuries of the past in the west? I am asking how human rights, especially women's rights, fit into the eastern religions, since it seems these rights are protected much less in the east, even though they are protected less than they should be in the west.

what are the basic human rights that go well with a submission to authority? There is some line totalitarians cross when keeping rigid guidelines between the authority and the subjugated.

To some extent, it is inevitable that we submit to authorities, for the simple reason that we cannot know or do everything ourselves. For example, we readily submit to the authority of car mechanics, dentists, telephone operators etc. At least some people don't have particularly high expectations about these authorities being competent, so when they fail, one can take this in stride and try not to be too upset about it, and simply accept it as a fact of life.

What I find much harder to take in stride is what by all accounts look like failings of those who claim to be authorities in spiritual and religious matters.

How does a hindu reasonably defend women's lack of rights, or is that being sorted out the same way the problem of christian empire has been sorted out, i.e. a slow change over many many years?

I've heard that traditionally, part of the "solution" was to consider women as non-culpable of any crime that they may commit - while the same crime, if committed by a man, was prosectuable.

Why is it that basic human rights in the middle east and far east are at levels similar to centuries of the past in the west? I am asking how human rights, especially women's rights, fit into the eastern religions, since it seems these rights are protected much less in the east, even though they are protected less than they should be in the west.

Both East and West cultures favor men. The mode of this favoritism differs, but it's there. At least the Easterners are more upfront about it, or used to be.

People in the West may have many rights - but only on paper. Not rarely, protecting those rights backfires.

And to you, this is the same as

- ??

"I just wish that the theists who preach to me would be more humane. That they would actually be worth submitting to."
Do you have issues with being socially inconsiderate, aggressive or otherwise inhumane?
Do you have issues with others being being socially inconsiderate, aggressive or otherwise inhumane?

"Little deviation"? You are the one asserting a false dilemma based solely on your chosen perspective ("reality tunnel"). Just because there are a variety of conceptions of god does not mean that the majority of those conceptions are in any way "sketchy" or uncertain. You are also making a hasty generalization of all conceptions of god that heavily glosses over the individual conceptions. These fallacious arguments have a definite atheistic/agnostic bent. The "standard" is that, among the majority who do believe in a higher power, the overwhelming majority believes in a specific god:
ao6-3e1dqkk33bgf7vn_vg.gif
"Higher power" or "universal spirit" are terms used for a "sketchy" conception, and these statistics show that these are an overwhelming minority. The "standard" is that those who believe in a particular god do not feel any uncertainty about its nature, and this is a natural consequence of faith. Even among differing denominations of Christianity, where they greatly disagree about biblical interpretation, their concept of god is largely the same. This is why their god has very well-known attributes, i.e. omnipotence, omnipresence, omniscience, etc..
again with the semantics about what i meant. I would suggest that quite a few of those people who believe in God don't go to church or know what faith they even belong to. gallup says, "Gallup International indicates that 41%[1] of American citizens report they regularly attend religious services," so at least a good chunk of the other 40% who believe in God are kind of "sketchy", along with the 12% higher power people, but whatever. Your idea of sketchy and my idea of sketchy may be different.

And why do you insist on introducing new non sequiturs at every turn? What does the problem of evil have to do with the belief in a god?
the "problem of evil" is about people saying "yahweh sucks", which is what i was still talking about. The only reason there is a "problem of evil", so-called, in western philosophy, is that the christian God is supposedly deficient, which comes up every time there is a big storm, or someone has to eat chocolate ice cream (i am just messing with you with the ice cream thing). It is certainly not an uncommon idea.
Again, why can you not just admit that you were talking about a small subset of the population when you say "common"? I have no false idea about what you said, as you have already fully verified it:
You have already admitted that what you said was qualified as pertaining only to this particular subset.
no, i specifically qualified my point when i said "for one thing" in that very sentence. Sciforums is only one example. It is ok if you just wanted to bring up the basically useless idea of how "common" must something be to allow me to use the word "common".
Show me ANY source that supports that usage. I have looked, just to give you the benefit of the doubt. Nothing. And the more bare assertions you make on the matter, without any support whatsoever, the deeper you dig your hole. Now you could try to say, for example, that becoming a Rastafarian is an ad hoc excuse to smoke pot, but even that does not make Rastifari an ad hoc religion.
Let me put it this way, "christianity is the religion many people use, for the special purpose presently under consideration by them of defining their God, lacking generality or justification, and without a systematic investigation of other possibilities." That is exactly what i meant by adhoc religion.
ad hoc [ad hok; Lat. ahd hohk]
1.for the special purpose or end presently under consideration:
ad hoc
for a particular purpose only; lacking generality or justification: an ad hoc decision
Between the Tim Leary "reality tunnel" and the "whatevs dude", maybe you are better off sticking to the pot smoking.
nice ad hom. You should just put that in your sig,
Syne, "ad homerator".
I don't smoke weed or do drugs, by the way. Although a lot of the great thinkers of history did get pretty wild, anyway. If you classify Leary as an unintelligent person, you are in rarefied air up there with the greatest minds of history, looking down on us humans. Not saying he was any great guru of mine ( i did meet him just before he died, when he was already kind of fried, which was interesting), but the "8 circuits of consciousness" is one of the truly great maps of the human experience.
Are you done with you little tantrum? Opportunus means convenient, so how is the "closest thing you can grab" not convenient? And how often a phrase is used is no excuse for misuse. I guess you would also defend the usage of "ironic" by Alanis Morissette with an argument by consensus as well.
I still think "opportunus" is not something in the common usage, but it could be useful talking to the rarefied few looking down on me and tim leary. Also, re: alanis, any song about a fork and a knife, is bound to have some illegitimate gobbledygook happening.
No, just another in your ever-growing list of complete non sequiturs. It would be a false dilemma to suppose that disagreement about many unrelated biblical principles necessitates a fundamental disagreement about the nature of a god.
i was making a point about specific principles, but once again you insist I was talking about something other than what i was talking about, even after i explain what i said. It must be weird for you, living with the magic power of knowing what people think, when it disagrees with what they think. Confusing.
Thanks for illustrating my point so well. You very well may need to believe that a bridge will hold you before crossing it, but that belief does not mean you MUST cross every such bridge. Belief does not necessitate action. Contingent is not the same as necessary. Damn, just crack a dictionary.
Nice set up to point out how narrowly you read. And i quote, "Damn just crack a dictionary"...
con-tin-gent - 4. dependent on or conditioned by something else "payment is contingent on fulfillment of certain conditions"

SO you said
"No, your actions are inconsequential to your belief."
I feel they are actually quite important and significant indicators of a particular belief, as explained by looking at the belief the bridge you are going to cross will not fall down, and the walking across it being contingent on that belief. BUT MOSTLY i said, we aren't going to settle that issue here. We might as well talk about something SOMEWHAT pertinent.

Where in this do you see anything that indicates that these are commandments or in any way obligatory. If you read just a few sentences further you would find:
"For by the fruits one knows the things that are yours..."
none of this is any less, or more, obligatory than the same verses when they appear in the canon, which solidifies my point that Iranaeus and other sources may also have not been totally clear on what was intended, may have rejected these other christians, for the sake of creating a solid power structure. So, they may have been attacked not necause they were actually lawless, but because they didn't think about God "right". What would Iraneus have said about Luther??????
Another related concept is the moral core of an individual, which is assumed to be innate. This, in some religious systems and beliefs (e.g. Gnosticism), is assumed to be the basis of all aesthetics and thus moral choice. Moral codes as such are therefore seen as coercive�part of human politics. -wiki(morality)
If the words �ethics� or �morality� are taken to mean a system of rules, then Gnosticism is opposed to them both. Such systems usually originate with the Demiurge and are covertly designed to serve his purposes. If, on the other hand, morality is said to consist of an inner integrity arising from the illumination of the indwelling spark, then the Gnostic will embrace this spiritually informed existential ethic as ideal.
To the Gnostic, commandments and rules are not salvific; they are not substantially conducive to salvation. Rules of conduct may serve numerous ends, including the structuring of an ordered and peaceful society, and the maintenance of harmonious relations within social groups.
-gnosis.org​

Christians view their code of conduct as normative and compulsory.
How is this any different from what Nietzsche would accuse christians of, but perhaps not Gnostics, i.e., that christians only do the right thing for the wrong reasons? So, the gnostic says, "do x, because if you are knowledgable you will see that x is good", and the christian says, "do x because God said it is good". The first is just a more psychologically adult way of achieving the same goal, i.e. the goal of having people choose to do good things and not bad. Or perhaps one just says, "look in your heart and you will see that your teacher is right". Hard to say.
Also, I would ask what the difference is between those who truly believe they are saved, "by grace, not by works, so that no man can boast," and that particular gnostic idea about compulsory actions. In both cases the works are not salvific. Gnosticism clearly has to have some set of morality or the earlier Valtninus excerpt would be a total relativist mess and this idea about gnostic poo-pooing the creator God wouldn't make sense either-
" In sum, the Paradise story taken literally, with its rather crude anthropomorphisms and descriptions of ungodlike or even morally dubious behavior on the part of the creator, clearly held the potential to be truly offensive to many ancient readers. Thus the fact that in demiurgical texts certain elements in this particular story are often selected for "reversal" or adjustment of "value" is not at all surprising." from rethinking gnosticism by R.G. Williams

The gnostics pretty much all believed that the creator God was a bad dude, so yet again (bringing us back to our thread topic), we have people saying, these ideas we are setting forth are basic truths, from the highest inspiration, and they happen to coincide with my greater understanding of God rather than that of the less knowledgable jews and other christians. They had to have a moral principle in order to make a pronouncement about the creator God, or what was sin and not sin, and what was morally dubious. Do you think they just said to each other, "don't sin, whatever that word means to you"?????? I am not saying it isn't possible that SOME of the Gnostics, although clearly not all of those we label gnostics, truly had some floating principle whereby lack of knowledge was the only true sin (delusion), but i do feel confident in saying that using the word "never" would be a mistake when talking about Gnosticism.
Nope, repeating a convoluted mess does not make it any less convoluted. Are commentaries on the Bible any more reliable, seeing as they are just as biased? Ultimately, we have no more or less than the scripture. Everything else is open to the same biases.
Including material from the other side we could perhaps make a more fair judgement. I agree there is a hell of a lot of bias floating around, but better to have two opposing ideas to check out than one, and we didn't even have anything from the gnostics until 1945. I will be maintaining my "slow to judge" policy, not that this little chat wasn't fun. If you have anything more solidly pointing out moral relativism, or come across it in the future, I do find the Gnosticism subject quite interesting and would appreciate seeing it.

I've heard that traditionally, part of the "solution" was to consider women as non-culpable of any crime that they may commit - while the same crime, if committed by a man, was prosectuable.
so the moral failures of women are just expected. i see why you would use quotes around the word "solution".
Both East and West cultures favor men. The mode of this favoritism differs, but it's there. At least the Easterners are more upfront about it, or used to be.
People in the West may have many rights - but only on paper. Not rarely, protecting those rights backfires.
I don't think you could compare the Lily ledbetter (spelling?) fair pay act with the kind of women's rights issues that are going on in the east. No way. In this example, the easterners are upfront about a coma patient, while the west is covering up a broken leg. Imperfect analogy, but there is quite a chasm between the human rights issues we work on in the west and east.

This has truly got me to thinking about your situation. If there were a religion you would consider joining, would it require you to accept subjugation to men? In other words, if I were having a conversation with a person you considered as a possible teacher for your religion, would he and I (just assuming he) be having a different conversation than any conversation you and he can have??? Would your possible religious path require you to admit some lower status as a woman?

P.S. i wrote you a response SYNE, but it has to be approved i guess. I am sure you are just holding your breath, and can't wait to chat more, you sweet-talker you.

Do you have issues with being socially inconsiderate, aggressive or otherwise inhumane?

I am certainly not going to claim that I am angelically perfect.

Do you have issues with others being being socially inconsiderate, aggressive or otherwise inhumane?

When they want me to submit to them in the name of God, yes, then especially so.

Other than that, I think everyone has issues with others being socially inconsiderate, aggressive or otherwise inhumane.

What is your point?
That theists are to be trusted, respected, and subjected to, no matter how they behave?

I am certainly not going to claim that I am angelically perfect.

When they want me to submit to them in the name of God, yes, then especially so.

Other than that, I think everyone has issues with others being socially inconsiderate, aggressive or otherwise inhumane.

What is your point?
That theists are to be trusted, respected, and subjected to, no matter how they behave?
If one can cut one's self some slack, one should also extend the same magnanimity to others. Of course many times we don't, but this is due to an inflated sense of self importance, etc

Back