Isn't time that Humanity was more important than any religion

True

But the secular war is not about the mind , religious war is about the mind

Again, ideologies are only justifications for war, not causes. No sane person can reasonably say that any mind can be genuinely won over through the use of force. Minds can only be broken in such a manor. For exam

What do you mean by outside being? Religion aside

Anything beyond the individual's personal concerns.

Actually I don't agree

Religion and the fighting for , is an entirely different reason to fight than merely for land

Religion fights for the hearts and minds of people for some invisible concept

Whereas those that fight for land and/or country have a concrete reality

Not all political violence is about land. More often than not it is about power, whether territorial, economic, or some other very practical concern of security and dominance. Again, the variety of ideologies are only justifications for taking such extreme measures as war. Where security becomes preemptive dominance people must justify how their security requires laying waste to others. Ideologies are only the most well-used method of doing so.

But the secular war is not about the mind , religious war is about the mind

Again, ideologies are only justifications for war, not causes.

I disagree

When Christianity first came to Europe, there was a war upon Gnostic's , which is a war of idealology

No sane person can reasonably say that any mind can be genuinely won over through the use of force. Minds can only be broken in such a manor.

Disagree

Above

I disagree

When Christianity first came to Europe, there was a war upon Gnostic's , which is a war of idealology

"The age of the Gnostics was highly diverse, they seem to have originated in Alexandria and coexisted with the early Christians until the 4th century AD and due to there being no fixed church authority, syncretism with pre-existing belief systems as well as new religions were often embraced. According to Clement of Alexandria, "... In the times of the Emperor Hadrian appeared those who devised heresies, and they continued until the age of the elder Antoninus."

... Irenaeus declares in his treatise "Against Heresies" that Gnostic movements subjected all morality to the caprice of the individual, and made any fixed rule of faith impossible."
-wiki​

As you can see, the conflict was one of power of rule, i.e. political not ideological. You are only conflating the two because they are coincident here.

I would appreciate it if you could provide some reference detailing this "war upon Gnostic's", as I am not readily finding anything of substance.

I find it very unnatural for any intelligent being to believe in some outside being to be more important than there own natural being

On the contrary, solipsism is the refuge of madmen.

It is only natural to seek a context greater than oneself.

So as I said " Isn't time that Humanity is more important than any religion " ?

By producing another religion, except that this time, it won't be called "religion"?

The idea of the thread that I presented was to forward Humanity in the direction of Humanity first and foremost so that we see the bigger picture for Humanities survival

So we stop killing each other over religious ideologies

What if killing/bullying/manipulating each other is the human thing to do?
Given how wide-spread it is, it certainly seems to be only human.

But the secular war is not about the mind

Of course it is. How else could anyone hope to win, if not by defeating the other party (also) mentally, "breaking their spirit"?

In order to keep the land one has taken from others, one either has to physically eliminate them, or convert them, so that they don't try to take it back again.

whoever was fighting the gnostics lost, because the idea that yahweh sucks is a pretty common one, and the idea that some undefined God is really in charge, and religion is confused, is pretty close to the standard position these days. They just call that type of gnosticism "normal". This is why i wonder what the difference is between greatest i am's idea and the standard non-religious idea is, "i'm God" doesn't sound very enlightening to me, it is often the subconscious modus operandi of the general culture anyway, in america at least.
So humanity more important? I would say no, but with the caveat that we shouldn't pretend being human isn't what we are doing, even if we are talking about something else.

BTW, using iranaeus to talk about gnostics is like watching fox news, the bias is intense.

whoever was fighting the gnostics lost, because the idea that yahweh sucks is a pretty common one, and the idea that some undefined God is really in charge, and religion is confused, is pretty close to the standard position these days.

Not likely, considering that one-third of the world's population are Christian adherents. Whether they use the term Yahweh or not, Christianity has always considered the Hebrew and Christian god one and the same.

BTW, using iranaeus to talk about gnostics is like watching fox news, the bias is intense.

You cannot deny that gnosticism promotes a generally secular morality, making it equally open to criticisms of moral relativism.

Not likely, considering that one-third of the world's population are Christian adherents. Whether they use the term Yahweh or not, Christianity has always considered the Hebrew and Christian god one and the same.
I think there are many people who simply believe in a higher power, and christianity is the ad hoc religion for them. They are basically free to make their decisions on morality without agreeing with a particular biblical idea, so they share this gnostic quality. I am not saying they are actually gnostic, though, just pointing out that ideas can continue to fight for this war of the "mind", after physical or "political" war is over. My position concurs with yours in that religion is the excuse, and if there were no prize to win, religious war would not be happening. This is one of the "old saws" that keeps popping up.
You cannot deny that gnosticism promotes a generally secular morality, making it equally open to criticisms of moral relativism.
my point about Iranaeus is a bit impractical, considering the information we have from sources other than antagonistic christians on early Gnostic practice is provided by reading texts that give us only some ideas of what they might have done, based on what they may have believed. The fact that Iranaeus could have said gnostics secretly eat babies, and had an obvious bias, was also demonstrated by the other writers who attacked "Gnostic" teachers. Tertullian wrote for us a multi-volume "adversus marcionem", Epiphanius wrote also against the "heretical" teaching of Marcion. And so for our knowledge of what Marcion taught we are mostly, if not totally, dependent upon Tertullian and Epiphanius. I am just saying it is difficult to say exactly what Gnosticism promotes, and we should keep in mind when we talk about it, that gnosticism, as practiced, may have been a very different thing than modern ideas expect it to be. It could have been, in practice, more akin to the Orphic mystery cult, than what is ascribed to it as this free-for-all. So there could have been an emphasis similar to orphic practice, of living of a life that is blameless before the judgement of hades.

If some future person were to find an attack on christianity, based on an attack on fundamentalist ideas, from someone who may or may not have properly understood what christians actually taught, with no possibility of hearing christianity's description of its own ideology, we couldn't say that that was entirely informative material.

As far as "gnosticism" leaving "morality to the caprice of the individual", that is exactly what it seems to me, but I am just wary of attaching what i think the religion means to their religion.

As far as humanism goes, how do we have a humanism that is not leaving "morality to the caprice of the individual", while avoiding ochlocracy, or total mob rule? A higher principle (of some kind) must be introduced. Also, how does a materialist provide a higher principle, without leaving the cognitive security of their provable ideas?

I think there are many people who simply believe in a higher power, and christianity is the ad hoc religion for them. They are basically free to make their decisions on morality without agreeing with a particular biblical idea, so they share this gnostic quality.

What you think and what you may be able to evince are two different things. And I think you mean "de facto" rather than "ad hoc". Christians, in comparison to Jews, have always had fewer moral laws and thus greater latitude in descriptive morality. So you would have to demonstrate what "biblical idea" these Christians do not agree with, and show that this is anything but a simple lack of devotion. Lack of devotion alone does not necessarily have any bearing on whether a particular notion of god is disbelieved. People believe things they are not fully devoted to all the time.

Any solid reasoning behind your unsupported conjecture that Christians think Yahweh "sucks"? Seems you are only equivocating "gnostic" to suit your purpose.

Syne said:
my point about Iranaeus is a bit impractical, considering the information we have from sources other than antagonistic christians on early Gnostic practice is provided by reading texts that give us only some ideas of what they might have done, based on what they may have believed. ... I am just saying it is difficult to say exactly what Gnosticism promotes, and we should keep in mind when we talk about it, that gnosticism, as practiced, may have been a very different thing than modern ideas expect it to be. It could have been, in practice, more akin to the Orphic mystery cult, than what is ascribed to it as this free-for-all. So there could have been an emphasis similar to orphic practice, of living of a life that is blameless before the judgement of hades.

Comparing gnosticism to orphism is a huge non sequitur. This would seem to indicate that your knowledge of gnosticism is far too lacking to be trying to discuss it. Gnosticism holds that descriptive systems of morality serve the ulterior motive of some demiurge. They reject any such system of morality, which would naturally include that held by Christianity. Yes, there very well could have been a lot of rhetoric, but the notions of heresy and moral relativism cannot really be denied.

And appeals to ridicule such as "eating babies" and comparisons to orphism are not productive to anything but muddying the discussion. You should not feel the need to go so far in making your point.

If some future person were to find an attack on christianity, based on an attack on fundamentalist ideas, from someone who may or may not have properly understood what christians actually taught, with no possibility of hearing christianity's description of its own ideology, we couldn't say that that was entirely informative material.

As far as "gnosticism" leaving "morality to the caprice of the individual", that is exactly what it seems to me, but I am just wary of attaching what i think the religion means to their religion.

So now you are assuming that all of our knowledge of early gnosticism is only through its critics or somehow a belief that does not espouse any moral system can contradictorily be fundamentalist? Look up the Nag Hammadi library. This is gnosticism's "description of its own ideology".

Just because you do not know something does not mean that no one else does.

But what is "Christianity's description of its own ideology"?
It's not like the people who claim to be "Christians" agree on that.

A uniform picture of Christianity seems to exist only in the mind of Christian "fundamentalists" and their opponents.

As far as humanism goes, how do we have a humanism that is not leaving "morality to the caprice of the individual", while avoiding ochlocracy, or total mob rule?

There are these concepts of "morality is subjective" and "mob rule" and such.
But do these concepts really capture the principles by which an actual person makes moral decisions?
Because to me, those concepts seem decidedly external, extroverted - as if an external observer were to make assumptions about a person's internal processes, and assume that such an external analysis is adequate.

A higher principle (of some kind) must be introduced.

It seems to me you may actually be looking for a way to analyze moral behavior and decision-making - a way that is not boxed into the usual subjective-objective, internal-external dichotomies.
A new theoretical model of morality that would make it possible to notice previously unnoticed phenomena and to provide new moral insights.

What you think and what you may be able to evince are two different things.
generally, when we are talking about things that everyone knows, such as the fact that many people believe in a higher power and use christianity as their explanation of the power, there is no need to prove it. You would be foolish to assert otherwise, so unless you intend to deny the common reality that many people believe in a higher power, and they were born in the west where christianity is a readily available explanation, you should just pass that over and agree with it. 92% of americans is definitely "many" people - "The study detailed Americans' deep and broad religiosity, finding that 92 percent believe in God or a universal spirit -- including one in five of those who call themselves atheists." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/23/AR2008062300813.html
And I think you mean "de facto" rather than "ad hoc".
you would be wrong in thinking that, because i meant readily accessible, first "at hand" religion that people use to define their higher power. If i mean "de facto" i will say "de facto", and i will mean "in practice, if not in ideology", or something to that effect, although i am sure someone else may want to use the phrase differently.

Christians, in comparison to Jews, have always had fewer moral laws and thus greater latitude in descriptive morality. So you would have to demonstrate what "biblical idea" these Christians do not agree with, and show that this is anything but a simple lack of devotion. Lack of devotion alone does not necessarily have any bearing on whether a particular notion of god is disbelieved. People believe things they are not fully devoted to all the time.
here we would have to discuss, and decide, whether lack of practice of a principle is evidence of lack of belief in a principle to make any sense out of this. We could easily say that the practice demonstrates belief in the higher principle of "serve yourself", as being stronger than belief in any particular biblical principle.

Any solid reasoning behind your unsupported conjecture that Christians think Yahweh "sucks"? Seems you are only equivocating "gnostic" to suit your purpose.
i didn't say that christians believe that. I said it was a pretty common idea, as shown by looking at sciforums for one thing. Many of the anti-yahweh statements made by various posters here, could have literally been pulled from Marcion's writings. It isn't a maybe or a conjecture, it is a reality pasted all over the internet. You could throw a rock in a random direction (so to speak) and hit this idea on the internet.

Comparing gnosticism to orphism is a huge non sequitur. This would seem to indicate that your knowledge of gnosticism is far too lacking to be trying to discuss it. Gnosticism holds that descriptive systems of morality serve the ulterior motive of some demiurge.
First off, you and i don't know what their practices were, so saying that Gnosticism in practice MAY have shared some practices with influential religions of slightly earlier periods is not out of the question. ALSO, to say "They reject any such system of morality" is tidy for the sake of discussion, but unproven, ESPECIALLY, when what know of their "lack of morality", is asserted by someone who is attacking them. EDIT
Are you also saying that your knowledge is "too lacking", because unless you have examples from all of the purportedly "gnostic" teachers and sources, or at least some expert's opinion (which still removes you personally from having the knowledge you feel is lacking on my part), you need to ease up on the finger pointing, dude. I am not an expert on gnosticism, but i certainly have enough knowledge to discuss it. in the future it would be helpful for you to say, "perhaps OUR knowledge is too lacking", so I can not think you are just expressing ignorance of my quite varied store of, perhaps useless, knowledge.

They reject any such system of morality, which would naturally include that held by Christianity.
no, see the following

Yes, there very well could have been a lot of rhetoric, but the notions of heresy and moral relativism cannot really be denied.
please note this text from the gospel of truth by valentinus which seems be have descriptive moral value - "Speak concerning the truth to those who seek it and of knowledge to those who, in their error, have committed sin. Make sure-footed those who stumble and stretch forth your hands to the sick. Nourish the hungry and set at ease those who are troubled. Foster men who love. Raise up and awaken those who sleep. For you are this understanding which encourages. If the strong follow this course, they are even stronger. Turn your attention to yourselves. Do not be concerned with other things, namely, that which you have cast forth from yourselves, that which you have dismissed. Do not return to them to eat them. Do not be moth-eaten. Do not be worm-eaten, for you have already shaken it off. Do not be a place of the devil, for you have already destroyed him. Do not strengthen your last obstacles, because that is reprehensible. For the lawless one is nothing. He harms himself more than the law. For that one does his works because he is a lawless person. But this one, because he is a righteous person, does his works among others." http://gnosis.org/naghamm/got.html Why would you take Iranaeus' word that valentinus means to ignore judging sin, rather than meaning to keep it from wasting your energies, or some other thing?

And appeals to ridicule such as "eating babies" and comparisons to orphism are not productive to anything but muddying the discussion. You should not feel the need to go so far in making your point.
just saying we may not know exactly what many teachers of gnosticism actually taught. Please note above an example from a school of thought from the best known Gnostic teacher Valentinus, expressing some descriptive moral requests, as an example of why we cannot just accept detractor's (iranaeus) words as reality.

So now you are assuming that all of our knowledge of early gnosticism is only through its critics or somehow a belief that does not espouse any moral system can contradictorily be fundamentalist? Look up the Nag Hammadi library. This is gnosticism's "description of its own ideology".
no. i said "texts that give us only some ideas of what they might have done, based on what they may have believed", which PRECLUDES the idea that it is "only through critics". To call Gnosticism "fundamentalist", would demand a different idea of fundamentalism than that which i have. Are you saying that anything that isn't entirely relativistic is "fundamentalist"? Not sure why you would say that or why you got any of that from what i wrote.
Just because you do not know something does not mean that no one else does.
it is clear that your definition of gnosticism left something to be desired, so i stand uncorrected. In the future, perhaps it is best to allow that we all are imperfect and lack knowledge, although the pretense of authority does do well for some, so maybe that isn't the best course.

But what is "Christianity's description of its own ideology"?
It's not like the people who claim to be "Christians" agree on that.
A uniform picture of Christianity seems to exist only in the mind of Christian "fundamentalists" and their opponents.
that is all very true, I clearly can't say "christianity is x", if x is just in my version. I would suggest that we have to look at a cross-section of ideas to get a full understanding of christian ideology.
There are these concepts of "morality is subjective" and "mob rule" and such.
But do these concepts really capture the principles by which an actual person makes moral decisions?
Because to me, those concepts seem decidedly external, extroverted - as if an external observer were to make assumptions about a person's internal processes, and assume that such an external analysis is adequate.
consensus seems to be a very large factor in how we construct our reality tunnels. In government we have structures imposed by "enlightened" (in the moral sense) people to govern those that are not moral, and thereby the "rule of law" which is better than the mob rule. How do we get to that in ethics??? Ethics as a philosophical discipline, is yet another window i have only looked through in part, unfortunately.

It seems to me you may actually be looking for a way to analyze moral behavior and decision-making - a way that is not boxed into the usual subjective-objective, internal-external dichotomies.
A new theoretical model of morality that would make it possible to notice previously unnoticed phenomena and to provide new moral insights.
perhaps we have already had such advances in ethical philosophy and it sits unread in some library somewhere... i like the idea that perhaps we need a new method of judgement.

i didn't say that christians believe that. I said it was a pretty common idea, as shown by looking at sciforums for one thing. Many of the anti-yahweh statements made by various posters here, could have literally been pulled from Marcion's writings. It isn't a maybe or a conjecture, it is a reality pasted all over the internet. You could throw a rock in a random direction (so to speak) and hit this idea on the internet.

You did not qualify "common" and "standard" as being in the microcosm of internet science forums, where atheism tends to be grossly over-represented. This is a bit of cherry-picking you should have just copped to immediately instead of making all of these justifications.

generally, when we are talking about things that everyone knows, such as the fact that many people believe in a higher power and use christianity as their explanation of the power, there is no need to prove it. You would be foolish to assert otherwise, so unless you intend to deny the common reality that many people believe in a higher power, and they were born in the west where christianity is a readily available explanation, you should just pass that over and agree with it. 92% of americans is definitely "many" people - "The study detailed Americans' deep and broad religiosity, finding that 92 percent believe in God or a universal spirit -- including one in five of those who call themselves atheists."

Again, you are conflating common knowledge in the general populous with "common knowledge" among atheists. Do you really think that Christians are cognizant of the bible only being some explanation of god, or do they take that description to be of the identity of god? Why else would they study the Bible seeking to "know God"? Quit adding claims you cannot support in a vain attempt to justify your earlier claims.

you would be wrong in thinking that, because i meant readily accessible, first "at hand" religion that people use to define their higher power. If i mean "de facto" i will say "de facto", and i will mean "in practice, if not in ideology", or something to that effect, although i am sure someone else may want to use the phrase differently.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. -Inigo Montoya

ad hoc
adj
1. Formed for or concerned with one specific purpose
2. Improvised and often impromptu

Most people would say that Christianity deals with more than just explaining god. Morality, salvation, afterlife, etc.. And Christianity certainly is not made up on the spot for each case. And before you quote the adverb definition, you used it as an adjective.

If you really must have something Latin for "readily accessible" try "opportunus".

Syne said:
Christians, in comparison to Jews, have always had fewer moral laws and thus greater latitude in descriptive morality. So you would have to demonstrate what "biblical idea" these Christians do not agree with, and show that this is anything but a simple lack of devotion. Lack of devotion alone does not necessarily have any bearing on whether a particular notion of god is disbelieved. People believe things they are not fully devoted to all the time.
here we would have to discuss, and decide, whether lack of practice of a principle is evidence of lack of belief in a principle to make any sense out of this. We could easily say that the practice demonstrates belief in the higher principle of "serve yourself", as being stronger than belief in any particular biblical principle.

You have not pointed out any specific principle, nor shown how a lack of devotion necessitates a disbelief in a particular god. We were not discussing belief in principles, we were talking about belief in a god. Do you have to vote for a particular elected official in order to believe they hold a public office? No, your actions are inconsequential to your belief.

First off, you and i don't know what their practices were, so saying that Gnosticism in practice MAY have shared some practices with influential religions of slightly earlier periods is not out of the question. ALSO, to say "they all reject any descriptive system of morality" is tidy for the sake of discussion, but unproven, ESPECIALLY, when what know of their "lack of morality", is asserted by someone who is attacking them.

Moral relativism is not equivalent to "lack of morality". You have yet to describe any specific comparisons between gnosticism and orphism, so as yet it is still a non sequitur. In comparison to the Christian notion that descriptive morality has some salvific eternal consequences, yes, gnosticism does reject any such system. Salvation for a gnostic can only come through gnosis.

Are you also saying that your knowledge is "too lacking", because unless you have examples from all of the purportedly "gnostic" teachers and sources, or at least some expert's opinion (which still removes you personally from having the knowledge you feel is lacking on my part), you need to ease up on the finger pointing, dude. I am not an expert on gnosticism, but i certainly have enough knowledge to discuss it. in the future it would be helpful for you to say, "perhaps OUR knowledge is too lacking", so I can not think you are just expressing ignorance of my quite varied store of, perhaps useless, knowledge.

It is silly to insist I outline the whole of gnostic thought for you. If you have sufficient knowledge then you would not be claiming this false compromise of "OUR knowledge is too lacking".

please note this text from the gospel of truth by valentinus which seems be have descriptive moral value - ... Why would you take Iranaeus' word that valentinus means to ignore judging sin, rather than meaning to keep it from wasting your energies, or some other thing?

Gnostic descriptive morality is never considered in any way compulsory. It varies to accommodate the subjective needs of the individual, which is the primary concern of those seeking gnosis.

just saying we may not know exactly what many teachers of gnosticism actually taught. Please note above an example from a school of thought from the best known Gnostic teacher Valentinus, expressing some descriptive moral requests, as an example of why we cannot just accept detractor's (iranaeus) words as reality.

You are the only one running with this straw man about accepting Iranaeus as any sort of authority. All apparently to avoid having to refute the fact that gnosticism has a generally secular morality, subject to moral relativism.

CG said:
Syne said:
no. i said "texts that give us only some ideas of what they might have done, based on what they may have believed", which PRECLUDES the idea that it is "only through critics". To call Gnosticism "fundamentalist", would demand a different idea of fundamentalism than that which i have. Are you saying that anything that isn't entirely relativistic is "fundamentalist"? Not sure why you would say that or why you got any of that from what i wrote.

Here, I quoted it so you could read my reply in context, which you seem to have trouble doing. YOU are the one who mentioned fundamentalist ideas, so that is yours to clarify. You will notice that I was asking you to do just that. You likened Christianity to Gnosticism and then seemed to likened fundamentalist ideas to those of gnosticism. Or was fundamentalism completely superfluous to whatever you were trying to say?

it is clear that your definition of gnosticism left something to be desired, so i stand uncorrected. In the future, perhaps it is best to allow that we all are imperfect and lack knowledge, although the pretense of authority does do well for some, so maybe that isn't the best course.

That is the fallacy of an argument to moderation. You have failed to refute what you claim is lacking.

My point is that your formulation allows for intoxication to count as an attempt to nullify these five different statuses of life, and thus as a means for liberation from the punishment of material existence!!

There is the saying "Religion is the opiate of the masses" and the formulation you posted plays right into it:

This is a succinct description of the process based on what are the the 5 vargas (a varga is a particular type of letter in the sanskrit language and "pa" = 5.... taken together .... pa-varga .... one can get the word aparvarga which, due to the way semantics combine in sanskrit, means "liberation"

Material life is called pavarga because here we are subject to five different states of suffering, represented by the letters pa, pha, ba, bha and ma. Pa means pariçrama, very hard labor. Pha means phena, or foam from the mouth. For example, sometimes we see a horse foaming at the mouth with heavy labor. Ba means byarthatä, disappointment. In spite of so much hard labor, at the end we find disappointment. Bha means bhaya, or fear. In material life, one is always in the blazing fire of fear, since no one knows what will happen next. Finally, ma means måtyu, or death. When one attempts to nullify these five different statuses of life—pa, pha, ba, bha and ma—one achieves apavarga, or liberation from the punishment of material existence.

There is the saying "Religion is the opiate of the masses" and the formulation you posted plays right into it:
I think the original context for that quote was religion bearing a superficial quick fix sort of solution (kind of like opiates tend to be) as opposed to the complete uprooting and solution of not just "a problem" but "all problems"

If one cannot accept another as having experiences more valid than one's self in a respectful manner (ie acknowledging that some one is better than you at something and not being envious about it) all criticism becomes inactionable.

Inactionable criticism is criticism that cannot be acted upon: name-calling and generalizations are prime examples.

"You are a fool."
"You are a rascal."
"You should be more intelligent."
"You are jaundiced."
"You have no faith."

While some of these things may be true, lashing out at a person with such accusations doesn't help them to change.
It's simply an expression of the accuser's aggressiveness and desire to get the upper hand over the other person.

Or alternatively, if one draws the line at anyone being better than one's self (ie we are all on an equal platform) criticism is also greatly diminished (and even then, only occurs if there is a strong bond of friendship between the people)

Much theism is about criticising people and pointing fingers. Nevermind that there exists no "strong bond of friendship between the people".

This is an aspect to look into, when discussing the importance of humanity in relation to religion.

I think the original context for that quote was religion bearing a superficial quick fix sort of solution (kind of like opiates tend to be) as opposed to the complete uprooting and solution of not just "a problem" but "all problems"

That doesn't change that the formulation you posted plays into it -
"When one attempts to nullify these five different statuses of life".

Intoxication of one kind or another is the prominent means by which people try to nullify those five statuses of life anyway.

Perhaps religion is not an intoxicant, but it can certainly be used as one, and, arguably, often is used as one. And then it has as much effect as an intoxicant: it does not actually nullify those five troublesome statuses of life, it even makes them worse.

that is all very true, I clearly can't say "christianity is x", if x is just in my version. I would suggest that we have to look at a cross-section of ideas to get a full understanding of christian ideology.

Given that there are even people who claim to be "Christians" but who don't believe in God, it's not clear whether that cross-section contains anything more than the label "Christian."

consensus seems to be a very large factor in how we construct our reality tunnels. In government we have structures imposed by "enlightened" (in the moral sense) people to govern those that are not moral, and thereby the "rule of law" which is better than the mob rule. How do we get to that in ethics??? Ethics as a philosophical discipline, is yet another window i have only looked through in part, unfortunately.

Of course ethics is a philosophical discipline, what else could it be?

perhaps we have already had such advances in ethical philosophy and it sits unread in some library somewhere... i like the idea that perhaps we need a new method of judgement.

Hypotheses, methods and findings go hand in hand.

You did not qualify "common" and "standard" as being in the microcosm of internet science forums, where atheism tends to be grossly over-represented. This is a bit of cherry-picking you should have just copped to immediately instead of making all of these justifications.
as usual, you jump all over every little deviation from your reality tunnel as though you had a point. Of course, the standard position in America is not atheism, it is a sketchily defined god, and the belief that religion is confused, just as i stated. Do you really believe that isn't the standard? If so please tell me what the standard is. As far as ideas being in common use, among people all over the world it is clear that the "problem of evil" is discussed and argued over, not just in internet forums, and people do trot out the millennia-old ideas. If you wish to dispute that, please present your case, i.e. say they do not, don't just try to define my points in terms i don't support. The straw here is ridiculous.

Again, you are conflating common knowledge in the general populous with "common knowledge" among atheists. Do you really think that Christians are cognizant of the bible only being some explanation of god, or do they take that description to be of the identity of god? Why else would they study the Bible seeking to "know God"? Quit adding claims you cannot support in a vain attempt to justify your earlier claims.
no, you are conflating all that with your false ideas of what i said. Unlike you, i realize that there are a bunch of people out there all believing different stuff, and their attempt, and possible failures, to "know God" imply only that God may be found in the bible, according to some. You are the only one who is trying to jump on semantics instead of dealing with the ideas.
ad hoc
adj1. Formed for or concerned with one specific purpose2. Improvised and often impromptu
[/indent]
can you just come straight out and say something obviously ridiculous such as presenting the idea that my usage of the phrase "ad hoc" is not used commonly for, "the first thing you can grab"? Are you REALLY willing to say that my usage isn't seen all the time? Sad.
Most people would say that Christianity deals with more than just explaining god. Morality, salvation, afterlife, etc.. And Christianity certainly is not made up on the spot for each case. And before you quote the adverb definition, you used it as an adjective.
as i said, please go on pretending my usage was not a common one, if that makes you feel you had a point. And various versions of christianity are being constructed all the time by millions around the world, so whatevs dude.
If you really must have something Latin for "readily accessible" try "opportunus".
first off, not often used and a douchey thing to include in one's writing. Second, i didn't mean to say, "suitable", or "advantageous", or "useful". I meant to say, as is a common usage for "ad hoc", "closest thing you can grab". If you really must be a douche, and pick at nothing because you don't have an actual argument against what i am saying, please douche in private.
You have not pointed out any specific principle, nor shown how a lack of devotion necessitates a disbelief in a particular god.
We were not discussing belief in principles, we were talking about belief in a god.
i said, "decisions on morality without agreeing with a particular biblical idea", so ACTUALLY i was specifically talking about a SPECIFIC principle. Another false problem your strange reading of my words has created.
Do you have to vote for a particular elected official in order to believe they hold a public office? No, your actions are inconsequential to your belief.
Would you walk over a bridge without believing it will hold you up? It is just as simple to say that all your actions are contingent on your beliefs, as to say they aren't. This is a silly point to argue. EDIT* what i mean by this is that it is a silly argument to have from either side right now, not that your idea here is more silly than the contrary idea.
Moral relativism is not equivalent to "lack of morality". You have yet to describe any specific comparisons between gnosticism and orphism, so as yet it is still a non sequitur. In comparison to the Christian notion that descriptive morality has some salvific eternal consequences, yes, gnosticism does reject any such system. Salvation for a gnostic can only come through gnosis.
Orphic similarity was simply a possibility, a perfectly valid possibility, so please show otherwise with some reasoning or sources. Also, until you show Valentinus rejects the "any such systems of morality" you, one of which is partially described by his own words in the fragment i posted, you aren't making your point. Please address that if you wish to actually MAKE a POINT.
It is silly to insist I outline the whole of gnostic thought for you. If you have sufficient knowledge then you would not be claiming this false compromise of "OUR knowledge is too lacking".
I was simply pointing out that you might want to know about what someone else knows before you say they don't know enough to talk. AND, it is quite reasonable for some true expert of Gnosticism to say I don't have the background to converse reasonably on the details of the subject, even though that would be a dick move for that expert to pull, but i can tell you aren't a true expert on the subject, because an expert on any subject doesn't often use the word "never".
Gnostic descriptive morality is never considered in any way compulsory. It varies to accommodate the subjective needs of the individual, which is the primary concern of those seeking gnosis.
Valentinus says "do x and y". Please present the gnostic material that shows we are our own law if you wish to make a point. My initial distrust of your statement comes when you use the word "never". You love that stuff huh? Never! I am actually interested to know if you actually are saying something valid here, because it would be enlightening if your are.
You are the only one running with this straw man about accepting Iranaeus as any sort of authority. All apparently to avoid having to refute the fact that gnosticism has a generally secular morality, subject to moral relativism.
YOU brought him into this as SOMETHING, if not an authority, then what? If you were just presenting iranaeus as a possible description of Gnosticism, I can easily accept that. You could have just said that.
Here, I quoted it so you could read my reply in context, which you seem to have trouble doing. YOU are the one who mentioned fundamentalist ideas, so that is yours to clarify. You will notice that I was asking you to do just that. You likened Christianity to Gnosticism and then seemed to likened fundamentalist ideas to those of gnosticism. Or was fundamentalism completely superfluous to whatever you were trying to say?
i said, "If some future person were to find an attack on christianity, based on an attack on fundamentalist ideas, from someone who may or may not have properly understood what christians actually taught, with no possibility of hearing christianity's description of its own ideology, we couldn't say that that was entirely informative material." It is pretty clear what i was talking about, i.e. the fact that we are not completely informed on Gnosticism. Do you deny that there is some lack of historical material describing gnosticism and additionally that there are conflicting ideas about what teachers should even be considered gnostic?
That is the fallacy of an argument to moderation. You have failed to refute what you claim is lacking.
please go back up to the point about valentinus and then get back to me on this idea.

Last edited:
That doesn't change that the formulation you posted plays into it -
"When one attempts to nullify these five different statuses of life".

Intoxication of one kind or another is the prominent means by which people try to nullify those five statuses of life anyway.

Perhaps religion is not an intoxicant, but it can certainly be used as one, and, arguably, often is used as one. And then it has as much effect as an intoxicant: it does not actually nullify those five troublesome statuses of life, it even makes them worse.
sure
plenty of examples of good things used inappropriately to give an adverse effect

Of course ethics is a philosophical discipline, what else could it be?
i mean a discipline, as differing from just thinking about ethics, in various modes, artistic, religious etc. and applying various feelings and ideas without focus or depth of information.

Back