Islam; What does it mean?

piddu

Registered Member
I have to do a report on a word for English, and I picked Islam. As a Muslim, I am curious as to people's reactions to the word "Islam" and what they think it means to different people and the world as a whole. What are connotations of it? Is it comprable to any other words? Any comments are welcome.

Good question! I'm a verbophile, so let me take a stab: Islam = I slam. I's on the lam. Ma's ill. Mails. I Sam. Sam is I. Ma. Mas. I'm Al's.

Okay, so it really doesn't mean anything else. What's in a name?

Piddu,

Try this - http://www.dartabligh.org/books/ebooks/basicbeliefs/page17.asp

The key aspect is total submission, unfortunately that mental conditioning allows for strong political forces to exert their power over the populace in the name of God. Concequently Islamic peoples tend to be heavily subjugated, lack many freedoms that we take for granted in the west and are often denied access to materials that would question the authority of their governments.

Islamic governments have little choice but to be fearful of western nations since we represent personal freedoms that if truly experienced by Muslims would mean the end of Islamic governments.

Kat

Last edited:
Katazia, I respect your opinion that the mental conditioning of total submission (to God and only God), makes it easier for political forces to act on Muslims, but I disagree.

Islam provides us with the freedoms of the west, but governments try to take these away. It is not the fault of Islam, but the Muslims who follow it. I think many of these freedoms would greatly benefit Islam, not harm it. (I realize you said Islamic governments not Islam).

BTW, thanks for the link :)

You have to admit that Islam, like any religion, significantly restricts what you can do with your life. You have to behave a certain way, eat only certain things, in some places you can only dress in certain things, and you can't even think anything that goes against the popular beliefs of the religion. Secular western culture povides a certain amount of restriction itself and in some clicks is getting moreso by the day but it is nowhere near that level yet.

What any religion boils down to is a shared belief in the nature of the universe, how to live, and what is right and wrong that is independent of observation and reason. Interestingly, Islam has sat in the same geograpical region for so long that it is no longer just a religion. It blurred with the local culture and government to such an extent that it is not easy to separate whats what.

I am sure that you are mixing the culture and Govt. with the religion, Islam atually not that type!

Clockwood said:
You have to admit that Islam, like any religion, significantly restricts what you can do with your life. You have to behave a certain way, eat only certain things, in some places you can only dress in certain things, and you can't even think anything that goes against the popular beliefs of the religion. Secular western culture povides a certain amount of restriction itself and in some clicks is getting moreso by the day but it is nowhere near that level yet.

What any religion boils down to is a shared belief in the nature of the universe, how to live, and what is right and wrong that is independent of observation and reason. Interestingly, Islam has sat in the same geograpical region for so long that it is no longer just a religion. It blurred with the local culture and government to such an extent that it is not easy to separate whats what.

Yes, it is true that Islam can restrict what you can eat, wear, etc., but I don't think it restricts what you can do with your life. If anything, it probably enhances it because you can have more of an impact on people. If you are at all familiar with the life of the Prophet, you will realize what an impact he had on people because of his beleifs in Islam, and his good-nature and truthfulness.

But the aspects of not eating, drinking etc. are not the core of Islam. I beleive that you can still go to heaven if you drink etc. There is an example in the Qu'ran or the Hadith that a prostitute once gave water to a dog, and because of that one act she went to heaven. So Islam is basically just basically doing what in your heart you know is right. It is not really necesarry to follow the restrictions to be a Muslim, although you will probably be a better Muslim if you do.

But I mostly agree with you. It is definately hard to seperate the culture/government/religion in the Muslim world.

Thank a lot for your comments.

A bit that might serve as a "starting point."
"The new sect would eventually be called islam (surrender); a muslim was a man or a woman who had made this submission of their entire being to Allah and his demand that human beings behave to one another with justice, equity and compassiuon. It was an attitude expressed in the prostrations of the ritual prayer (salat) which Muslims were required to make three times a day. (Later this prayer would be increased to five times daily.) The old tribal ethic had been egalitarian; Arabs did not approve of the idea of monarchy, and it was abhorrent to them to grovel on the ground like slaves. But the prostrations were designed to counter the hard arrogance and self-sufficiency that was growing apace in Mecca. The postures of their bodies would re-educate the Muslims, teaching them to lay aside their pride and selfishness, and recall that before God they were nothing. In order to comply with the stern teaching of the Quran, Muslims were also required to give a regular proportion of their kncome to the poor in alms (zakat). They would also fast during Ramadan to remind themselves of the privations of the poor, who could not eat or drink whenever they chose.

Social justice was, therefore, the crucial virtue of Islam. Muslims were commanded as their first duty to build a community (ummah) characterized by practical compassion, in which there was a fair distribution of wealth. This was far more important than any doctrinal teaching about God. In fact the Quran has a negative view of theological speculation, which it calls zannah, self-indulgent whimsy about ineffable matters that nobody can ascertain one way or the other. It seemed pointless to argue about such abstruse dogmas; far more crucial was the effort (jihad) to live in the way that God had intended for human beings. The political and social welfare of the ummah would have been a sacramental value for Muslims. If the ummah prospered, it was a sign that Muslims were living according to God's will, and the experience of living in a truly islamic community, which made this existential surrender to the divine, would give Muslims intimations of sacred transcendence. Consequently, they would be affected as profoundly by any misfortune or humiliation suffered by the ummah as Christians by the spectacle of somebody blasphemously trampling on the Bible or ripping the Eucharistic host apart." (Armstrong, 5 - 6)

"The life and achievements of Muhammad would affect the spiritual, political and ethical vision of Muslims forever. They expressed the Islamic experience of "salvation," which does not consist in the redemption of an "original sin" committed by Adam and the admittance to eternal life, but in the achievement of a society which puts into practice God's desires for the human race. This not only redeemed Muslims from the sort of political and social hell that existed in pre-Islamic Arabia, but also provided them with a context within which they could more easily make that wholehearted surrender to God which alone can fulfil them. Muhammad became the archetypal example of that perfect submission to the divine, and Muslims . . . would attempt to conform to this standard in thei rspiritual and social lives. MUhammad was never venerated as a divine figure, but he was held to be the Perfect Man. His surrender to God had been so complete that he had transformed society and enabled the Arabs to live together in harmony. The word islam is etympologically related to salam (peace), and in these early years Islam did promote cohesion and concord." (Armstrong, 23 - 24)
And the citation, please:

• Armstrong, Karen. Islam: A Short History. New York: Modern Library Chronicles, 2000.

I recommend two books by Armstrong, both the above, and also A History of God. Look for 'em at a library. Islam has plenty of information in its introductory pages that should be of use. History of God is a little more in-depth, as Islam is discussed in at least two contexts orbiting centrally Abramic foci.

Sorry I didn't see the topic sooner.

Also, I'm very slowly discussing a book by Jaroslav Stetkevych that is on the one hand aimed at college students, and on the other a little more abstract than you might be seeking at this time, but if you can find a copy of that book, its of general interest to the idea and, in the end, necessary fro a fundamental understanding of the cultural underpinnings of Islamic Arabia.

Last edited:
Medicine*Woman said:
Good question! I'm a verbophile, so let me take a stab: Islam = I slam. I's on the lam. Ma's ill. Mails. I Sam. Sam is I. Ma. Mas. I'm Al's.
Oh my God...

tiassa said:
its of general interest to the idea and, in the end, necessary fro a fundamental understanding of the cultural underpinnings of Islamic Arabia.

From the extract of the book you quoted :

"The old tribal ethic had been egalitarian; Arabs did not approve of the idea of monarchy, and it was abhorrent to them to grovel on the ground like slaves. But the prostrations were designed to counter the hard arrogance and self-sufficiency that was growing apace in Mecca. The postures of their bodies would re-educate the Muslims, teaching them to lay aside their pride and selfishness, and recall that before God they were nothing. In order to comply with the stern teaching of the Quran, Muslims were also required to give a regular proportion of their kncome to the poor in alms (zakat). They would also fast during Ramadan to remind themselves of the privations of the poor, who could not eat or drink whenever they chose.
"

From a socio-political point of view :

The various clans, quraish and other arab clans, really seemed to have no tendency to have a monarch to rule all the clans. This close association with clan was considered to be a thing of pride and was cemeted by the clan-wise god(s) / idols at Kaaba. Really it would be difficult to put one god over the other. The strict mono-theism solved this problem. But association with clan continued even after the prophet. In fact it had been a crucial factor in course of early islamic history. Especially from the period of the 3rd and 4th caliphs and afterwards muslim unity could not challenge this strong factor.

From a religious point of view :

The mighty and aweful god only could put fear in the warring and restive arab society. Compassion and zakat was the demand of the mighty god. This perfect balance between compassion and wrath was often disturbed by unscrupulous elements who heavily rely on their might rather than right. I always wonder why the righteous Ali and Hussien were let down by the then arab population. These imams were held in high esteem generally by all muslims (both by sunni and shia sects that formed later) yet they could not get support when they needed against unjust but powerful rivals. Human might ruled (still rules) higher than the devine might in their mind, i presume.

Its really interesting to read the islamic history somehow. and it gives a strange understanding of the mind of Allah. I might be wrong or too early to say this. Peace.

Katazia said:
Piddu,

Try this - http://www.dartabligh.org/books/ebooks/basicbeliefs/page17.asp

The key aspect is total submission, unfortunately that mental conditioning allows for strong political forces to exert their power over the populace in the name of God. Concequently Islamic peoples tend to be heavily subjugated, lack many freedoms that we take for granted in the west and are often denied access to materials that would question the authority of their governments.

Islamic governments have little choice but to be fearful of western nations since we represent personal freedoms that if truly experienced by Muslims would mean the end of Islamic governments.

Kat

When your 'European 'ancestors were living in dark holes and when black magic and witchcraft was the only way to treat your sick people, and when burning WOMEN as witches was your daily hobby, MUSLIMS WERE BUILDING HOSPITALS AND UNIVERSITIES, WATER CLOCKS AND ASTROLOGICAL OBERVATION CENTRES.

READ LITTLE BIT BEFORE YOU SPIT YOUR PATHETIC IGNORANCE:

http://www.cyberistan.org/islamic/ghazi1.html

Way back during the eighth century, Europe was still knee-deep in the Medieval period. That's not the only thing they were knee-deep in. In his book, "The Day The Universe Changed," the historian James Burke describes how the typical European townspeople lived:

"The inhabitants threw all their refuse into the drains in the center of the narrow streets. The stench must have been overwhelming, though it appears to have gone virtually unnoticed. Mixed with excrement and urine would be the soiled reeds and straw used to cover the dirt floors. (p. 32)

WHEN LONDON WAS A SMALL MUDDY TWON, THE MUSLIM SPANISH CITY OF CORDOBA WAS THE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD:

http://www.xmission.com/~dderhak/index/moors.htm

Truly, Ignorance knows no limit.

Proud_Muslim said:
When your 'European 'ancestors were living in dark holes and when black magic and witchcraft was the only way to treat your sick people, and when burning WOMEN as witches was your daily hobby, MUSLIMS WERE BUILDING HOSPITALS AND UNIVERSITIES, WATER CLOCKS AND ASTROLOGICAL OBERVATION CENTRES.

READ LITTLE BIT BEFORE YOU SPIT YOUR PATHETIC IGNORANCE:

The ancient muslims that Proud Muslims speak of are all dead, and proud muslim is one of the maggots that live on that dead body. Pardon me, given the rate of decomposition, you are probably less than a maggot, perhaps you are the creature that allah almighty have created to consume the maggots.

The European dark ages are gone with and centuries behind...The current west is a fresh live body. The reality of the current situation is very different that the historic bragging...and your bragging is extremely gagging.

Let me define for you a couple of terms:
Retardation: Steps backwards taken by a society.
Advancement: Steps forward taken by a society.

According to the definitions and your historic bragging, the west seem to be advancing and the east to be retarding/decomposing...can you reflect a bit on that? perhaps the muslims have already died and are in second degree decomposition...the odor, flies, maggots, and creatures like you are evident to the degree of their decomposition.

Perhaps the only good point that could be drawn out of your bragging is that muslims are an almost extinct breed....or even better, Islam have already undergone a metamorphis that is not detected by those that still think that they are muslims while they are feeding off the historic corps.

Last edited:
piddu said:
Yes, it is true that Islam can restrict what you can eat, wear, etc., but I don't think it restricts what you can do with your life. If anything, it probably enhances it because you can have more of an impact on people. If you are at all familiar with the life of the Prophet, you will realize what an impact he had on people because of his beleifs in Islam, and his good-nature and truthfulness.

Well said, those people have little if any knwoledge about Islam.

http://www.harunyahya.com

But the aspects of not eating, drinking etc. are not the core of Islam. I beleive that you can still go to heaven if you drink etc. There is an example in the Qu'ran or the Hadith that a prostitute once gave water to a dog, and because of that one act she went to heaven.

Absolutely, and this hadith is AUTHENTIC one.

Proud_Muslim said:
Absolutely, and this hadith is AUTHENTIC one.

As authentic as this one with it's view in regards to those that really love and adorn the mosques.

In the End Times of the community of the faithful, people, those who adorn the mosques but leave their own hearts in ruins, who fail to look after their religion as much as they do their clothes, who forsake their religious obligations for the sake of their activities in this world, will increase in number.

(Agreed upon)

Or this one in regards to those monkey Sheiks that offer voodoo Fatwas in a mosque full of people

There will come a time for my people when… the mosques will be full of people but they will be empty of right guidance.

(Agreed upon)

Or this one stating that idiots with no knowledge will be reading and esteemed from singing the Quran.

When the Qur’an is read as if singing a song, and when a person is esteemed for reading in that way, even though he is not knowledged …

(Al-Tabarani, Al-Kabir)

Proud_Muslim said:
very impressive answer.

:rolleyes:
For short, and to sum up his mood, let's call him PMS, Proud Muslim Syrian.
A tribute to PMS:
When he is impressed, he rolls his eyes.
When he is boiling mad, he laughs hystrically.
He can induce vomit in little children
He farts under the pressure of lifting a small sheep.
I don't want to know what he does when he tries to lift a camel.

Tiassa, thanks a lot for the links and comments, I really appreciate it. It'll help me a lot :)

"Proud Muslim", you are being really ignorant and closed-minded. If you call yourself a Muslim, respect other people's opinions and do not try to brag about the ancient Islamic civilization which is now a ruin. First of all you are not supposed to brag anyways. Plus, the west is WAY beyond the Muslim world in applying good ideas such as democracy and freedom. The Muslim world nowadays is a wreck. Do not insult people anyways, especially if what you are bragging about no longer applies. This is exactly the anti-nonmuslim attitude that earns us the reputation we have nowadays.

I agree with Flores about PMS :)

Thanks a lot for the comments and help though, you too Proud Muslim, I can talk about the "overly defensive/radical" Muslims in my essay. :)

Proud Muslim,

You are talking of the past; my comments refer to the present and specifically regarding political control of Muslims who are vulnerable because of their belief system. My message does not criticize Islam but I suspect that was your interpretation and expectation. Perhaps you should not be so defensive and/or take greater care with your English comprehension.

Where strong emotions are involved and strong beliefs such as those generated by religious concepts we consistently see throughout history political exploitation of those adherents. In America the founding fathers understood their history very well and attempted to keep government and religions strictly separate. They have succeeded to a large extent but recent right wing religious extremists like Bush, Robertson, and Falwell, are working very hard and with enormous funding to erode that very important separation. At the same time in Iran where religion and government is the same thing, there is widespread dissatisfaction among the populace and many signs of a brewing revolution that might result in an eventual secular government. Pakistan currently teeters on the brink of being able to maintain its secular government and seemingly only through military power. That too will change soon and it is not clear yet how the cards will fall.

Certainly 1000 years ago the Middle East was the world center for trade, art and culture, and with a vital and significant Islamic influence. But the Islamic nations/tribes were not organized as they are today and for that we can probably give our thanks to the Crusades. The crusaders were primitive barbaric war-mongering thugs who wielded mayhem and destruction on a largely peaceful Islamic world. It took some years but eventually the Islamic peoples became organized and repelled the invaders. Much of that period is still etched in the minds of many Islamic fundamentalists like Osama bin Laden who is still looking for revenge. Had it not been for the butchery brought by the Crusaders then the world of religious inspired terrorism that we see today might not have occurred.

At the heart of every religion there is a concept centered on a peaceful and harmonious ideal; this simply reflects the real nature of humanity since everyone at some time especially after hardship, toil, and war desires eventual peace and harmony more than anything else. But the major religions also become pawns in political struggles and are exploited. Islam to submission and unfortunately the clerics are the dispensers of guidance but also run many Islamic governments, and Christianity is based on fear of a fiery afterlife and that threat is still wielded today by western legal systems and moral systems.

Sorry I’ve rambled a bit too much.

Kat

Katazia said:
Proud Muslim,

You are talking of the past; my comments refer to the present and specifically regarding political control of Muslims who are vulnerable because of their belief system.

This is another piece of CRAP, how about MALAYSIA ??? they are MUSLIMS and they have DEMOCRASY !!! your whole argument collapses when we see shining examples of Muslim democracies.

My message does not criticize Islam but I suspect that was your interpretation and expectation. Perhaps you should not be so defensive and/or take greater care with your English comprehension.

I wish you could speak 3 words Arabic !! how about that ? :rolleyes:

Where strong emotions are involved and strong beliefs such as those generated by religious concepts we consistently see throughout history political exploitation of those adherents. In America the founding fathers understood their history very well and attempted to keep government and religions strictly separate.

What history ?? does America have any history ?? or is it the history of plunder, genocide and land theft ????

They have succeeded to a large extent but recent right wing religious extremists like Bush, Robertson, and Falwell, are working very hard and with enormous funding to erode that very important separation. At the same time in Iran where religion and government is the same thing, there is widespread dissatisfaction among the populace and many signs of a brewing revolution that might result in an eventual secular government.

MEANWHILE, after 70 years of SECUALR OPPRESSION, Turkey now has an ISLAMIC DEMOCRATIC GOVERNMENT which won with LANDSLIDE !! why you dont talk about that ??????????????

Pakistan currently teeters on the brink of being able to maintain its secular government and seemingly only through military power. That too will change soon and it is not clear yet how the cards will fall.

And Again, who cares about Democrasy ?? after all democrasy is the RULE OF THE MOB where 51 % can rule 49 % !! no thanks, we have our own form of democrasy called Shoura.

Islam to submission and unfortunately the clerics are the dispensers of guidance but also run many Islamic governments, and Christianity is based on fear of a fiery afterlife and that threat is still wielded today by western legal systems and moral systems.

Sorry I’ve rambled a bit too much.

Kat

Why we should follow your rules and your system ?? keep them to yourself and we shall work hard to establish our own ISLAMIC SYSTEMS.

piddu said:
Tiassa, thanks a lot for the links and comments, I really appreciate it. It'll help me a lot :)

"Proud Muslim", you are being really ignorant and closed-minded. If you call yourself a Muslim, respect other people's opinions and do not try to brag about the ancient Islamic civilization which is now a ruin. First of all you are not supposed to brag anyways. Plus, the west is WAY beyond the Muslim world in applying good ideas such as democracy and freedom. The Muslim world nowadays is a wreck. Do not insult people anyways, especially if what you are bragging about no longer applies. This is exactly the anti-nonmuslim attitude that earns us the reputation we have nowadays.

What freedom and democrasy you are talking about ?? your west is just MURDEROUS CRIMINAL BARBARIC and OIL HUNGRY KILLERS:

http://www.motherofevil.com/

Back