Islam and Science

Did you ask him why. If not you should .
I am a curious cat.....;););).

I think he was convinced by what he found in the Koran. If he is still around, maybe we can ask him. The webcam site wasn't a very good format for discussion, and he has a little trouble with english. That's why I offered him a link to sciforums. I thought a discussion here might be a little more productive.

I find it a little hard to believe that an atheist would turn to religion, but I suppose that it happens.

W..... and I invited him to express his views here. Since I have never read the Koran, I'm a little out of touch with the facts, so I was hoping that we could find some objective views on the topic.

:shrug:

of course
pardon me

Its called islam watch which is the muslim equivalent of jew watch.

http://www.jewwatch.com/

What did you expect?
some real info i guess, something like islamonline.net or something.. i never thought a site would have such a suggestive name and an straight out opposite agenda.
i'm losing more and more of my innocence these days..
Science is science and religion is religion . Trying to mix them does not make sense .

is that a subjective opinion or an objective fact?
Muslims used to be at the cutting edge of science.
man i felt a thrill of pride upon reading that..
At that time, they innocently assumed that everything revealed by science would support their religious viewpoint. It was the same with Christian scholars who got their start from studying Islamic texts. While all that is admirable
??
i'm not sure i know what you're talking about.

nothing in the Quran seems to indicate a knowledge beyond what could have been known at the time.
a lot does, not only what could've been known at that time, in that place, for that exact person who happened to be illiterate, but also worldwide to a relatively close time.
and even if some of it was possible, all of it is immpossible, i can understand coming up with one or two or even ten of the wonders there by chance or foresight or sharp intelluct or hidden scholarly, but the vastness and sheer number of them all make them just impossible to be "faked" given the circumstances.
if the given circumstances were fake, meaning the history was a lie, history written down by a race, actually several races, were all deceivers or deceived, then the book in my hands still holds some of the qualities which make it impossible to be faked, and such qualities are verifiable in the present. stuff like in the thread heh heh heh.
Are you saying people during the time of Mohammed didn't know about the stars or lava? These vague descriptions only hint at the vastness of what they didn't know.
underwater lava? that all planets are "swimming"-instead of the sun being stationary?-

and don't forget, they were desert nomads. in the time of the prophet, the other muslim scientists came afterwards, way afterwards.
That Qur'an has no, none, zilch, zero "scientific" miracles in it. It's a superstitious book of mythology. Once again, there are no scientific miracles (or any other "miracles") in the Qur'an or any other superstitious book.

There are no "scientific miracles" (oxymoron) in the Qur'an it's a load of Biblical superstitious nonsense - what you are proposing is propaganda. A poor excuse to lend meaning where none exists.
you seem so sure of that, just sooooo sure and passionate about that, i wonder what does that mean?

Really?
No iron in our galaxy?
Wow, I wonder what the engineering/ manufacturing industries use.
Damn scientists.
in the quran iron is said to be "brought down", instead of originating from earth, and i heard a scientific fact relating to that.

If you're looking for validation of science in religion, MKT, you'll have to look pretty bloody hard.
not really, just consult uncle google.

or open the damn book for yourself.

in the quran iron is said to be "brought down", instead of originating from earth, and i heard a scientific fact relating to that.
You heard a scientific fact?
Meteoritic iron does exist (in fact it was supposedly "charmed" or "supernatural") - many swords in mythology/ fantasy are made from meteoritic iron.
Meteoric iron is used in some kris not so much for its superior quality or contrasting beauty (although these are valid virtues) but because of its magical associations.
http://www.nikhef.nl/~tonvr/keris/keris2/swords1.html
Meteoric iron was sought whenever possible because it typically consisted of alloys that were tougher than the iron mined from earth.
http://www.weaponsemporium.com/WE-Sword_care.htm
(Some Elf swords are also made from this in Tolkien's Silmarillion).

But iron is the second most common metal in the Earth's crust (after aluminium), and the fourth-most common element.
So I'd be interested in finding out exactly where you heard this "scientific fact".

Sam's a muslim? Indeed, what's the scoop on all this talk about science in the Koran?

not really, just consult uncle google.

or open the damn book for yourself.

Don't be foolish, scifes: I've done both many times. Illustrate some scientific facts that the Quran predicts, if you can. And don't use the "wood burns" one that someone tried to convince me hadn't been known until the 7th century. :D

SAM said:
They skipped that part in the wiki. Sultan X, Impaler Supreme, seems to have been ignored by history.

So they did all this to him before he was 17 and then made him king?

Thats really twisted.
According to the biographies I've read, Vlad (and his brother) spent his childhood at the neighboring Muslim court, in some kind of diplomatic exchange cum hostage or loyalty setup involving his father Dracul (the local ruler). Think military boarding school.

He returned home from this boarding school motivated, apparently, by an obsession with justice rigidly defined, a hatred of his former masters, and a fascination with impalement as a punishment.

He did not return from his Islamic education showing any notable acquaintanceship with the science of the times.

According to the biographies I've read, Vlad (and his brother) spent his childhood at the neighboring Muslim court, in some kind of diplomatic exchange cum hostage or loyalty setup involving his father Dracul (the local ruler). Think military boarding school.

He returned home from this boarding school motivated, apparently, by an obsession with justice rigidly defined, a hatred of his former masters, and a fascination with impalement as a punishment.

He did not return from his Islamic education showing any notable acquaintanceship with the science of the times.

Sounds like it hasn't changed much over the years. Bombing people still takes precedence over science education, except when science can be used to toture and kill more "efficiently"

I'm still waiting for some "Scientific Miracles" in the Qur'an. Well SAM? Care to post a few?

There's "The Honey as Medicine" miracle. HAAAA!!! That's always a good old "Islamic" miracle-whip :p

Oh, I know, how about the moon slitting into two peaces! That thar's a miracle that even an Indian somewhere wrote about! Oh, and then there's the midnight flight of the magic fairy creature miracle :D

Well thank you SAM.
Now about Islamic Science in the Qu'ran , you know, OP - care to comment? Or would you rather write about Joos and the USA?

I hate to tell you this, but the Quran is not a textbook on science, any interpretation that sees scientific miracles in it cannot be conidered as validation of either the scientific principle or the Quran.

The one verse of the Quran which makes that point very succintly is this one:

Do not be in haste with the Qur'an before its revelation to you is completed, but say, "O my Sustainer! Increase my knowledge."[20:114]

I think thats a good lesson to take away from it.

I know the Qur'an is not a text book, it's a copy of the Bible mythology mixed with Arab mythology. but, then again, I'm not the one suggesting it contains "scientific miracles".

I am of the opinion that scientific miracle is a redundant phrase.

SAM said:
Sounds like it hasn't changed much over the years.
Not your usual view of the Muslim court, or the effects of a Muslim education (a top flight one, of the time).

It does make an interesting parallel with the School of the Americas, except for the reaction against it.

SAM said:
I hate to tell you this, but the Quran is not a textbook on science, any interpretation that sees scientific miracles in it cannot be conidered as validation of either the scientific principle or the Quran.
Unfortunately, Quranic literalists seem to be even more prevalent among Muslims than Biblical literalists among Christians. They show up on this forum frequently, for example. That bodes ill for science, in Muslim lands.

Back