Is This The Year Of "Noah's Ark"?

Repo Man said:
You can't seriously expect people on a science forum to take at face value a myth that says that every animal on the planet was on one big boat?

Exactly how many animals would need to have been on there?

Dave

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?articleId=177&issueId=21

link said:
In the dark when it comes to real numbers, scientists have devised several formulas to estimate species diversity. Not surprisingly, the results vary wildly. One method--which extrapolates the ratio of temperate to tropical organisms among relatively well-known species to the rest of life on Earth--yields a figure of 3 million to 5 million species. Another based on a well-established relationship between an animal´s body size and its abundance suggests there may be 10 million species of land-dwelling animals alone.

davewhite04 said:
Thanks Wes,

Do you trust these figures?

Dave

I don't have much of an investment in the validity of the numbers, so my trust is extended fairly easily and I say yeah I mostly trust them... I wouldn't stake much on that trust though without invenstigating the source further.

wesmorris said:
I don't have much of an investment in the validity of the numbers, so my trust is extended fairly easily and I say yeah I mostly trust them... I wouldn't stake much on that trust though without invenstigating the source further.

Ok, well what is your occupation?

Dave

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel. If you want to read just how ludicrous the whole idea is go here.

How did animals get to their present ranges? How did koalas get from Ararat to Australia, polar bears to the Arctic, etc., when the kinds of environment they require to live doesn't exist between the two points. How did so many unique species get to remote islands?

How were ecological interdependencies preserved as animals migrated from Ararat? Did the yucca an the yucca moth migrate together across the Atlantic? Were there, a few thousand years ago, unbroken giant sequoia forests between Ararat and California to allow indigenous bark and cone beetles to migrate?

Why are so many animals found only in limited ranges? Why are so many marsupials limited to Australia; why are there no wallabies in western Indonesia? Why are lemurs limited to Madagascar? The same argument applies to any number of groups of plants and animals.

Why is inbreeding depression not a problem in most species? Harmful recessive alleles occur in significant numbers in most species. (Humans have, on average, 3 to 4 lethal recessive alleles each.) When close relatives breed, the offspring are more likely to be homozygous for these harmful alleles, to the detriment of the offspring. Such inbreeding depression still shows up in cheetahs; they have about 1/6th the number of motile spermatozoa as domestic cats, and of those, almost 80% show morphological abnormalities. [O'Brien et al, 1987] How could more than a handful of species survive the inbreeding depression that comes with establishing a population from a single mating pair?
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

Who's talking about animals??? I just talking about an ark that may be half buried in the snow at the 15,000 foot level on Mt. Ararat.........I'll leave it up to the so-called biblical experts to debate the "2 of every kind" animal issue concerning whether or not Noah could gather and put all of them on the ark.......if discovered to be the so-called biblical ark............Use common sense if you're discussing a topic which requires it..........Especially this topic.

Atta Boy

My common sense tells me that this topic is a pointless waste of valuable time, and that watching Entertainment Tonight would be more intellectually stimulating.

Try Spiderman comic books........They may help you get more intellectually stimulated........The possibly of discovering Noah's Ark on Mt. Ararat is probably to dull for you anyway..........

Atta Boy

Norman, if you are not willing to admit that the alleged arc on mount Ararat is the very one created by Noah with blueprints from god, with which he saved all of the animals of the world (I guess the plants were saved by another miracle?) then what is it you find exciting about the possible discovery of a wooden object on this mountain?

SpyMoose said:
Norman, if you are not willing to admit that the alleged arc on mount Ararat is the very one created by Noah with blueprints from god, with which he saved all of the animals of the world (I guess the plants were saved by another miracle?) then what is it you find exciting about the possible discovery of a wooden object on this mountain?
M*W: But, SpyMoose, what if that wooden object on Mount Ararat is the boat of Gilgemish used during the Sumerian flood?

I am not familiar with this boat, however if it involves Gilgemish putting two of every animal inside, then its probably not that boat either, if it is indeed a boat or man made object of any kind. Although I have to say, it would give me a bit of satisfaction for hindu myth to be proven correct when christians are hanging thier hopes on this thing.

How exactly does one get a giant boat up to 15,000 feet on a mountain? I mean I know the idea is that the world was flooded, but there's just as much water on earth today as there was billions of years ago, and even the ice caps melting wouldn't raise the water level 15,000 feet. Did Noah get out and drag it up there himself once the flood was over?

I think what Medicine Woman suggests is rather clever. What if it turns out that it is an arc, but it happens to be the arc of some other figure from some other civilization's Flood myth. . . seeing how as just about every single civilization on earth has a flood myth. Not surprising, considering the fact it takes a river or coast line to build a big city and really get a civilization going, floods are a ubiquitous universal disaster which all people are at least historically familiar with.

If I we're a betting man, I wouldn't bet against the possibility of an ark being discovered at the 15,000 ft. level on Mt. Ararat either this year or next. The reason is quite simple........To many sightings (satellite especially), photographs from U.S. Navy aircraft (circa: 1949) and eye witness accounts from credible people from previous expeditions. Now for those of you who think it's just a joke, it's not true or it's rubbish that an ark lays half buried at the 15,000 ft. level on Mt. Ararat, then just wait a little longer (maybe this year or next) until certain expedition groups (given permission by the turkist government and military) led by credible leaders, mountain climbers and explorers climb Mt. Ararat and find it.........If they do find it, and it is an ark that has the same approx. dimensions as stated in the bible, then what are you going to say next????

Atta Boy

SpyMoose said:

Well look at it like this Mr. SpyMoose, I think the possibility is very good that the ark that lays half buried at the 15,000 ft. level on Mt. Ararat, is probably the biblical ark of Noah........Who or what else could have made it, especially an ark that is over 7,000 years old and probably closer to 10,000 years.......As for the "Great Flood"??? Something had to place it up there.........I don't think Noah would have been able to haul it up there even with a team of 100 mules......So maybe the "Great Flood" theory best explains it don't you think??? It's my opinion that the biblical ark will be discovered on Mt. Ararat, hopefully this year or next. If so, then all of the bible skeptics and disbelievers will then be hard pressed to explain it, won't they.......

Atta Boy :)

i dont know jack on this matter but

where did you hear that it would be found in Arafat (Quran, Bible, Torah?) and where did you get the date?

also hasnt Noha's ark been found or something? there was a documentry ages ago on Channel 4 (uk) and the discovery channel and adventure 1. i didnt watch them but i saw the ads a long time ago.

Back