Is there more than 5 senses / how many?

But like i said doesn't that have to do all with your subconcious? Plus that doesn't apply all the time you know those sayings "He just doesn't know his own strength"

i honestly think equilibrium is a sense.

u know why? i just thought of some kind of proof.

when u have a cold, you cant smell at all, u know what m talking about. you sense of smell is impaired.
ok. how about when you have vertigo? you become dizzy and your equilibrium sense is impaired.
same when u drink! heehee

look, here's a quote from the archives here:
Boris
Actually, the sixth sense is your vestibular apparatus (your inner ear) -- which helps you maintain your sense of orientation and balance.

There about 17 senses so far discovered by the scientific community, and up to about 30 that are currently being investigated by the same. Most all of them are unconsious. Your body has millions of different receptors for just about everything you can imagine; Pressure of all kinds, electromagnetic frequencies, sexual receptivty, motives, emotions(Yes, due to their biological partnerships), balance, motion outside the body, just about any kind of wave mechanical or energetic, heat outside the body, receptors that identify positive and negatively charged particles at the atomic level, gravitational changes and lunar rhythms, radiation sensing(all types),....etc

Ingo Swann gave a presentation on some of this to the United Nations awhile back, it was pretty interesting, except that he was giving it all a psychic slant to promote himself. If you can find it, read it. But you can find most of this in neurology and biology journals and texts.

Oh yeah, and humans have that electromagnetic sense, too, not just birds. We grow biologically synthesized magnetite crystals behind one of our sinusoidal bones. Used the same way animals use it, just not consciously.

By now its clear that the senses presented to the public are just too general to mean much. You all are getting into the sub levels of these general senses and, I suppose when u start getting this specific, then yes there are more than 5 senses.

Our sense of acceleration (which is the inner ear sense dicussed above) is definitely a sense and cannot be considered a sub sense of any other. Sense of sexual receptivity that Halycon described above might be thought of as a subset of smell.

" The sense of sight, which humans presume is centered only in the eyes, in fact can occur on the surface of the skin, as experiences of the blind attest. Light rays striking any living surface can be sensed and sorted out. The sense of sound likewise can be experienced outside of the ear, as vibrations. Taste and touch share similarities, as they are immediate reactions to chemicals affecting the living surface. Touch breaks down into many aspects, including pressure sensing. Senses not mentioned are the sense of balance, where relationship to the gravity center is sensed, the sense of motion, related to the sense of balance, and the sense of being ill, where the humans senses that all is not right with the body. We have mentioned only those senses that the common man can readily relate to, not the myriad that in fact exist. Between the soul and its surroundings, there are many touch points. Thus even though the soul does not actually have eyes, it can see! "

zonabi said:
" The sense of sight, which humans presume is centered only in the eyes, in fact can occur on the surface of the skin, as experiences of the blind attest. Light rays striking any living surface can be sensed and sorted out."

No, u could hardly call this sight! There might be a sense that light rays are striking the skin but sense of light rays alone is not the definition of sight.

The sense of sound likewise can be experienced outside of the ear, as vibrations. Taste and touch share similarities, as they are immediate reactions to chemicals affecting the living surface.Touch breaks down into many aspects, including pressure sensing.

I think it is best to say that taste is a reaction to chemicals (and is actually a chemical reaction - chemistry) whereas touch is a reaction to forces (physics). Pressure and force are analogous here and matter can be 'felt' because of forces between atoms.

Senses not mentioned are the sense of balance, where relationship to the gravity center is sensed, the sense of motion, related to the sense of balance,

These WERE mentioned by me above as the sense of acceleration.

and the sense of being ill, where the humans senses that all is not right with the body. We have mentioned only those senses that the common man can readily relate to, not the myriad that in fact exist.

I think u could include a sense of pain which might be different to the sense of touch and would include all sensations of illness and injury.

Between the soul and its surroundings, there are many touch points. Thus even though the soul does not actually have eyes, it can see!

I think its best to leave the "soul" out of this discussion. Thats another threads work :D

:)

glad to see we agree !

i did not say those words, but believed them mostly true, so i quoted

the soul is quite another subject to tackle, but i think its very connected to the senses.

Back