Is there a downside to atheism?

Another point..

Tiassa what is the limit of supernatural? "quote"
"Right, and limiting God to a "supernatural existent" is your own error."

Is not supernaturalism what has been used for centuries to describe this infinite god?. or does supernaturalism have a different meaning in your philosophical non-sequitur?.

Quote: "Yet the mysteries of the Universe persist, foremost among them the purpose of human consciousness and existence its very self."

Ah!! but how long has mysticism in other words religious zealouts been invading free thought?. In order to really gain epistemological evidence of the mysteries of the unknown, there has to be a seperation of religious beliefs and scientific reaserch. There is now but only for a limited time in human history. Say the birth of America, did bring freedom of thought, and freedom of religion, of which also meant freedom from religion. Scientist have discovered more in the past two centuries, than at any other time in human history. In other words Tiassa give it some time we have only begun.

Quote: "I must admit, though, that this is not something I can necessarily expect an atheist to understand."

Yea you are right its kind of hard to understand non-sequitur.

Re: Tinker ...

*Originally posted by tiassa
On the one hand, I would point to the Top 40, to electoral results, and other statistical results of human decision and ask when the most popular was ever actually right, except by accident.

Good point.
Of course, given that approach, the practical atheism being discussed on this forum has almost zero chance of actually being right.

But, thanks for pointing that out, tiassa.

*It is becoming quite apparent to me that atheists tend to think the rejection of God is simpler than it really is.*

It's too bad they don't see that.

*This may not serve to justify the miniscule gods of earthsick holy books (e.g. Bible, Koran, and others) but these limited conceptions of God are part of the pursuit of the larger sense of God.*

Minuscule God of the Bible?
Again with the channeling, tiassa?
Which spirit ARE you channeling, anyway?

*To reject a concept for its immediate ineffability is a surrender to the magnitude of the concept. It is too big, and cannot be figured out.*

This is too funny.
Atheists are atheists not because they reject God, but because they believe in a God too big to understand?

*...I can lay out the entire history of what the idea of God points toward, and if you choose to operate only according to, say, one possible definition of what God is, then the should cannot be expressed, because the should will be applied to an incorrect concept.*

Reading between the lines, I can see how satan might want a person to believe how he is grossly misunderstood and would want people to "see" how an "incorrect" concept of God would lead people away from satan.

*But these are the specific gods being rejected, and those rejections speak nothing of the larger godhead.*

So, the God of the Bible is the specific God being rejected, and the "larger godhead" would presumably be satan and his cohort?

*...if we expect people to undertake that full rebuilding, then we need to create a socio-economic structure that allows that examination, planning, and construction.*

Hence the Novo Ordo Seclorum, or new world order.

*If atheists intend to ask for a full-blown installation of a new paradigm, then they're going to have to give difficult ideas of the ineffable the time of day, and even a little more. I find that highly offensive.*

Awwww.

*Just because an atheist can't open their mind enough to understand that the focus of their anti-identification does not comprise the whole of what they identify against, it's my obligation to change my vocabulary to suit them?*

This is at the heart of the issue satan has with atheism.
In rejecting God, atheists side with satan.
On the other hand, satan is also rejected.

Thus, there is an ongoing struggle with identification/anti-identification, rejection/anti-rejection, etc.
Satan's plans are thus always doomed to fail.

To demonstrate, we move on to...

*Originally posted by Godless
Of which I've stated that it does not, the term "atheist" is applied to a person who willfully rejects a theistic belief. It does not state that "there is or is not a god".

Can't decide?
No wonder.
To reject God means to reject satan also, since he is the adversary of God.
Then again, rejecting satan means that satan doesn't get the worship he demands.

*A wider view of atheism then would be that we refuse, or reject the "assumption" that a supernatural existent exists.*

Based on zero evidence, which is so amply pointed out by other atheists, who actually grasp the implications of atheism.

I can understand why atheism wants to stay in the minor leagues.

It doesn't actually want to stay there.
It's just completely hindered by its self-contradiction.
Not to mention the complete lack of logic on the part of its proponents.

*Lately, I've pointed to the Greek pantheism being monotheistic in respect toward whatever authority limited the conduct and power of the diverse gods. The Unmoved Mover, the Unnamed Namer, the Disinterested Interest, whatever you would like to call it.*

Pantheistic monotheism?
You've reached new heights in the depths of your inability to think, tiassa.
One feels almost compelled to congratulate you on the total absence of anything to congratulate you for.

--The prefix "a" means "without," so the term "a-theism" literally means "without theism," or without belief in a god or gods. Atheism, therefore, is the absense of theistic belief.--

Not so.
Since there is already theistic belief in existence, one can no longer go about claiming absence of theistic belief.
One only has the option of denying theistic belief.

*--An atheist is not primarily a person who "believes" that a god does "not" exist; rather, he does not "believe" in the existence of a god.--*

Piss-poor argument against a common truth.
The fact is that "atheism" isn't "a-theism."
It is "athe-ism."
In other words, a belief in no God.

After all, to claim that one has no belief in something implies that one has incontrovertible proof, and thus does not believe. but knows beyond any shadow of doubt.
That's hardly the case with atheism.

Godless

Is not supernaturalism what has been used for centuries to describe this infinite god?. or does supernaturalism have a different meaning in your philosophical non-sequitur?.
Superstition and supernaturalism are, indeed, close cohorts of religions. But even Judaism and Christianity have achieved certain mystical notions whose only faults are the accretions of sentiment and perceived necessity that make each a unique religious structure. Unfortunately, the Abramic tradition has yet to successfully adapt to a certain idea; when Diderot wrote that whether or not God exists, it is the most sublime and useless of mysteries, this idea was nothing new. A vital concept in 19th-century atheism, it is a common revelation of mysticism.

Christians, for instance, make the same error of limiting God to a supernatural existent. It's a common mistake, but in this case, limiting your argument to concern such a miniscule deity is your own choice.
Ah!! but how long has mysticism in other words religious zealouts been invading free thought?
Couple of millennia, at least. In the West, that is.
In other words Tiassa give it some time we have only begun.
Give what time? Scientific progress only aids us in understanding the idea of God and our relationship with it.
Yea you are right its kind of hard to understand non-sequitur.
Like I've noted lately--I don't think atheists fully grasp exactly what it is they're rejecting.
Hey Tiassa! what's the freaking meaning of "theism"?

What would then make the prefix "a" added in front of "theism"?

in other words, A-theism is with out theism!!!!.
Calm down, Beavis.

Do you understand that you and I can discuss atheism according to whatever definition you would like me to believe, but beyond that discussion 'twixt you and I, there is no evidence that such a definition will hold?

So keep throwing them out there. I'm not sure you understand that, beyond our own discussion, it does no good.
Atheism is not an organized institution such as religious institutions are, athiesm is on a private level, so yes you are correct when given a definition of what atheism is to one of us, you are going to get different answers and assertions.
Actually, atheism is becoming institutionalized. Didn't you catch Adam's topic?

And while both, I do appreciate the book citation, and I am in fact familiar with that approach to atheism, perhaps you haven't noticed the number of individual atheists around here with their own definitions that are, technically, slightly different from one another.

Despite the fellowship of atheists gathering down under, I agree that atheism is a private matter.
just as god is on a private level of those who belive in subjective fary tales.
Such simplistic statements only further convince me that atheists don't understand the full nature of what they're rejecting. I mean, if that's the sum total of god or religion in your mind, then I can confidently say that's exactly the whole of what you're rejecting.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Re: Godless

Unfortunately, the Abramic tradition has yet to successfully adapt to a certain idea; when Diderot wrote that whether or not God exists, it is the most sublime and useless of mysteries, this idea was nothing new.

Why would one wish to adapt to such a pointedly useless idea?

*A vital concept in 19th-century atheism, it is a common revelation of mysticism.*

As such a vital component of 19th-century atheism, it would be utterly useless.

*Christians, for instance, make the same error of limiting God to a supernatural existent.*

Nah, he acts in the natural, also.

*It's a common mistake,*

It is indeed quite common for atheists to think that Christians do that.

*limiting your argument to concern such a miniscule deity is your own choice.*

Minuscule deity?
I can see your channeling satan or one of his minor assistants again.
Who else would define God like that, and wish to have people actually believe that?

*Scientific progress only aids us in understanding the idea of God and our relationship with it.*

What form of science does that?

*Like I've noted lately--I don't think atheists fully grasp exactly what it is they're rejecting.*

Of course not.
They already look foolish enough rejecting what they don't grasp at all.
Imagine how foolish they'd look if they were to fully and completely describe and then reject him.

*Such simplistic statements only further convince me that atheists don't understand the full nature of what they're rejecting. I mean, if that's the sum total of god or religion in your mind, then I can confidently say that's exactly the whole of what you're rejecting.*

Perfect.
So, if your idea of God is defective, and you reject that idea, you'd be doing the same thing I am, namely rejecting your defective idea of God.

Welcome back Tony..

Hey old friend, good to see ya back, with some more nonsense to throw at us!. :D

From your zeal of theology, of which you don't have emperical proof of what is that you believe, and Tiassa's rambling non-sequitur of the meaning of atheism this thread has really lost its purpose of which was "Is there a downside to atheism"? apparently there is, dealing with intelectual non-sequitur and religious zealots such as yourself.

Re: Welcome back Tony..

Hey old friend, good to see ya back, with some more nonsense to throw at us!.

Glad to be back and to see that your noonsense is the same as ever!

*From your zeal of theology, of which you don't have emperical proof of what is that you believe, and Tiassa's rambling non-sequitur of the meaning of atheism this thread has really lost its purpose of which was "Is there a downside to atheism"? apparently there is, dealing with intelectual non-sequitur and religious zealots such as yourself. *

On the other hand, you could reread your own posts to see the real downside to atheism.
Admittedly tiassa's rambling non-sequiturs have that effect on pretty much every topic, but it's fun to see how many times he can shoot himself in the foot and not notice.

Getting back to the actual topic, the downside to atheism is having nothing to believe in.
What's the point of such a hopeless existence?

Ahhh! but you are so wrong as always..

Quote:"Getting back to the actual topic, the downside to atheism is having nothing to believe in.
What's the point of such a hopeless existence?

Taken from theology itself, what to believe in "Believe in Thyself".

What's the point of believing in fairy tale?. Living an illusion that everything will be allright, having hope, that we exists after death, saving a soul of which there is no proof, or explanation of what "it" is. Give me a break!! ;) :rolleyes:

Hey, Godless

Tiassa's rambling non-sequitur of the meaning of atheism this thread has really lost its purpose of which was "Is there a downside to atheism"? apparently there is, dealing with intelectual non-sequitur and religious zealots such as yourself.
Well, you know, if you post something with enough thought behind it, it's fairly easy to confuse the atheists. I might point toward my first in this topic and ask what the f--k the atheists' problems are. I mean, it's quite hard to explain what one perceives as being wrong with atheism when, in fact, the topic is actually just a propaganda joke.

Of course, if you, like many of your atheist counterparts, were to look beyond the immediate moment of having a conflict and therefore something (oh, goody-goody) to attack and thereby feel a sense of identity related to your atheism, you might have noticed that.

I might propose, then, instead of standing around and whining like a bitter child, that you address that post. I mean, shit, you'll notice that, from the get-go, atheists could only respond with irrelevant humor, such as riding crop jokes and bland declarations of "no-it's-not-because-I-say-so". The fact is that regardless of the fact that atheists have no common identity 'twixt themselves, y'all act like you're a common church.

If you think you're seeing shite and decide it's a non-sequiter, might I suggest that you remove your head from your ass before approaching the topic.

Tell me, Godless, since you can call it non-sequiter, then that means you've read all the posts and can follow the topic; could you explain to me just what the hell is relevant, intelligent, educated, or otherwise about the atheist position in this topic? It seemed easy enough, but then again it also seems that almost no atheist at Sciforums can ask an honest question. Perhaps when the lot of you get off this neurotic need to anti-identify, you might be able to contribute something to the general thought process of humankind. In the meantime, though, you are reducing yourself to the level of childishness best expressed by the posters I had hoped were gone for good.

But since you've focused on the non-sequiter idea, I'll ask you for the same advice I asked Tinker: What would you have me do? After all, how can I possibly respond to such intelligent responses as:

• Tiassa, I seem to have misplaced my riding crop. Would you be so kind as to keep posting drivel for me to refute? (Intelligence personified ... weren't you complaining about people and their argumentative methods? Oh, wait, that's before you decided such methods were worth using.)

• Hmm, I'd say my learning is superficial - if I was looking for poor insults. (This is a common tactic--change the actual phrase you're responding to--among atheist posters. In fact, the atheist-advocate poster is here changing the focus of what she's responding to in order to have a reason to feel insulted. It's an attempt at escalation by an atheist who wants to be able to hold her hands up and say, "I didn't do anything.")

• Try, dear Tiassa, try to think logically, rather than letting your emotions rule. (What's funny about this is that it's a response to what other atheists have acknowledged as true. Real educated response, eh?)

• I'm rather tired of this slur. (After hammering this point home, I finally demanded to know why the poster was denying, essentially, her own actions; when the question was put to her, the poster confessed that she had changed the topic, much like the point about superficial considerations of religion.)

• Good fucking grief, get a life! (This is one of the reasons I laugh whenever I see atheists reprimanding people on their debating tactics. It's almost word-for-word copied from the poster's closest cohort and sums up about the same degree of responsive ability.)

• Tiassa seems to confuse athiesm and skepticism. I submit that he is easily confused. (Aaah, yes ... when a person is out of gas, appeal to one's comrades for moral support. So, Godless, how again am I supposed to handle such an utterly worthless post? I mean, you seem to have a problem with my "non-sequiters", but how exactly am I supposed to respond? Ah, I should lie down and die? Sorry, Godless, I can't accommodate anyone on that.)

• If you do not like it, Tiassa, why don't you post somthing of substance other than "Athiests are mean"? (Sounds to me like a poster is nagged by her own conscience, but seems unable to cope with it. I could have responded with the notion that, Well, Adam asked, but that's less important than the atheist's need to personalize, reduce, and bash her head against a concept for no good reason. I wouldn't have said atheists are mean; I would have said they're human, but it doesn't seem the atheist poster in this case cares. She just needed something to hate.)

• Tell the lunchroom monitor, Tiassa, or grow up. (Really, Godless, since you've declared yourself enough of an authority on this topic as to claim I'm writing non-sequiters, I'll take your advice on how to deal with an atheist who's pissed off that someone addressed the topic. I mean, on the one hand, every atheist can behave this way and claim their behavior has no connection to atheism. This, essentially, is part of the problem with atheism; the attempt to divorce this part of intellect and behavior from the rest of one's intellect and behavior often brings embarrassing results, such as when you accuse me of writing non-sequiters. I mean, you'll notice atheists occasionally tell me that I shouldn't address certain aspects of the topic; like Adam reprimanding me for even taking part in the debate in the first place. Apparently, he wants his atheist cohorts to be able to use information and ideas that he would prefer be suspended from consideration by theists. I mean, why end the debate before it starts?)

• If you paid attention, you would not that substantiative debate is occuring all around you. (You'll notice that the atheist chose not to cite examples. I wonder why so many atheists expect us to believe what they tell us solely on faith?)

• In conclusion, your objections are laughable and illogical. (Like I said, Godless, how should I reply? After all, it was such a logical, reasonable, and successful refutation, right?)

See, Godless, the funny thing is that all of that is taken from one atheistic post. You tend to call it non-sequiter, but as such I'm more than willing to hear your recommendations for the most advisable response to this brand of ... uh .. intellectualism.

I mean, if you follow the topic, you'll notice that it takes two atheists just to keep me occupied with tag-team deceptions.

So if you're going to point out my, uh ... non-sequiters ... I'm going to ask you for your solution. I mean, in order to conclude that they were non-sequiters, I can only conclude that you know the posts they are written in relation to. Being that you've read those posts, then I'm quite sure this little review of one post as an example is, actually, familiar ground for you. In light of that, we'll call upon your debating expertise and ask: How am I supposed to respond to such a dishonest post, coordinated, dishonest posts by multiple people, and ill-conceived criticisms written by partisans who seem more interested in letting their emotions rule them than their alleged intelligence?

Thus, Godless, we might look to where you wrote:
this thread has really lost its purpose of which was "Is there a downside to atheism"?
and answer that the downside of this topic was that no atheist particularly wanted an answer. They just wanted something else to be angry at. Seriously ... look at their reaction. Of course, that's why I'm disappointed in your current posturing. I'm sure that if you gave it an honest shot, you could write a reasonable post on this topic. Why don't you? Why turn atheism into a religion? It can't possibly help any.

Looking forward to your advice,

A small problem with Atheism (in my oppinion)

When things become inexplicable, when logic and science end, that's where religion takes over. When life seems at its darkest you have to look somewhere for inspiration to lift yourself up, enter God, religion, whatever you may call it.

Re: Re: Welcome back Tony..

Originally posted by tony1
Getting back to the actual topic, the downside to atheism is having nothing to believe in.

Says who? God is only one concept, there are plenty of others to believe and for much better reasons too.

~Raithere

You know ...

If there's anything that flat annoys me about atheism, it's that atheists, for all their good intentions, still approach such debates as this in such a manner that inherently leaves me standing in aisles I'd rather not stand in. Case in point:
Says who? God is only one concept, there are plenty of others to believe and for much better reasons too.
I mean, inasmuch as I dislike Tony1 as a poster, and find his combative rhetoric to be utterly useless, it cannot be denied that he's got you sidestepping to a place you don't want to.

I mean, any number of answers could have sufficed, but Raithere I'm confused because you chose an answer that contradicts some of the earlier discussion on this topic.

Those other things to believe in and their good reasons are separate from atheism, which depends on the recognition of what it claims doesn't exist in order to foster an identity. Specifically, those other things and their good reasons have nothing to do with atheism.
Atheism is a simple statement of disbelief. Anyone who tries to include any further philosophy is simply using a confused terminology.
Such as this that you wrote to me a few days back.

Those other things to believe in are not part of atheism, and to tie them to atheism is to attempt to confuse the terminology, wouldn't you say?

Specifically, where you've left T1 to have a point is in your response. Atheism is merely atheism, and doesn't leave you anything to believe in; in that sense, those other things become necessary to fill the void left by what religion would have occupied. It's a little like trying to fill an ocean basin with an ice cube. The ice cube is a useful contribution, but you'll also need rivers, rains, and so forth. Sunlight, for instance, or some other source of heat to melt the ice cube.

Atheism does, however, free you to fill that space with other ideas instead of religion, but having your wife leave you also frees you up to try to sleep around.

It's not so much that atheists will say whatever in order to win an argument, but come on, man ....

Give people a break, please? ;)

Really. :D

Please? :bugeye:

I wish we were at a tavern drinking together right now so that you could understand that, while I'm laughing, it's not at you--it's a life chuckle.

He looks for the Nazarene in every dirty magazine,
He looks for the Nazarene in every dirty magazine.
He sees again just what the world is made of,
And keeps firing and repeating, "God is Love"
(Floater, Diamond)

Take a side, you say, it's black and gray,
And all the hunters take the hunted merrily out to play.
And, "We are one," you say, but who are you?
You're all too busy reaping the things you haven't sewn.
(Floater, Feast)

thanx,

Re: You know ...

Originally posted by tiassa
I mean, any number of answers could have sufficed, but Raithere I'm confused because you chose an answer that contradicts some of the earlier discussion on this topic.

Hardly. Atheism does not include a rejection of non-theistic beliefs. Tony1's post indicated that without Theism, Atheists had nothing to believe in. An atheist may believe whatever else they want except for God(s) for to do so would mean they are not Atheist. Anything else is fair game. Clear enough?

Atheism is merely atheism, and doesn't leave you anything to believe in

Doesn't leave or doesn't give? Granted, Atheism asserts no belief and therefore gives nothing to believe in but there are a plethora of non-theistic beliefs left to choose from. Or is your assertion that all beliefs are Theistic?

in that sense, those other things become necessary to fill the void left by what religion would have occupied. It's a little like trying to fill an ocean basin with an ice cube.

And you base this assertion upon what evidence? Rather typical Theistic tripe your spouting Tiassa, it must be late. I'm quite fulfilled by my non-theistic beliefs, happy and content. I didn't have much trouble doing it either; in fact, I found that throwing away all the mandated beliefs of religion was quite fulfilling in itself.

Atheism does, however, free you to fill that space with other ideas instead of religion, but having your wife leave you also frees you up to try to sleep around.

Sounds like you're trying to assert a value judgment here. Purely subjective, Tiassa, and hardly convincing.

It's not so much that atheists will say whatever in order to win an argument, but come on, man ....

I've in no way contradicted my assertions regarding Atheism. Only your misconceptions.

~Raithere

Raithere

Tony1's post indicated that without Theism, Atheists had nothing to believe in.
No, T1's post indicated that atheism left nothing to believe in. Here, I'll quote it for you:
Seems rather general, doesn't it? Besides, atheism itself leaves you nothing to believe in, and the plenty of others with plenty of reasons to believe them have nothing to do with atheism per se.

Or are you assigning further philosophy to atheism, and thus employing a confused terminology?
Doesn't leave or doesn't give? Granted, Atheism asserts no belief and therefore gives nothing to believe in but there are a plethora of non-theistic beliefs left to choose from.
Either way. You've made the point though. That plethora of non-theistic believes are not atheism.

Thus:

Theoretical atheist: Atheist, humanist, with a bent for presuppositions from Aldous Huxley.
T1's assertion: The downside of atheism is not having anything to believe in.
Result: Humanist, with a bent for presupposition from Aldous Huxley.

All I'm after with that quantitative assessment is that the atheism, having nothing other than its anti-identification to offer, does, in fact, leave you or give you nothing to believe in.
And you base this assertion upon what evidence? Rather typical Theistic tripe your spouting Tiassa, it must be late.
Actually, Raithere, I'd suggest you watch your mouth.

• Atheism is simply that. Any attempt to attach further philosophy to atheism results in a confused philosophy, right?
• Therefore, atheism is only it's anti-identification.
• But atheism, in rejecting God, rejects what is the basis for many people's moral structures.
• These elements of moral structure are what I'm referring to.
• Atheism itself is unable to provide these.
• Attempting to fill that void with merely atheism is like trying to fill the oceans with an ice cube.
• Thus, additional (further) philosophies, such as humanism, fill the void that religion would have filled.

Now, to revisit an old assertion of mine: I've said before that it's possible that atheists don't understand the magnitude of what they're rejecting. This is almost exactly what I'm getting after.
Sounds like you're trying to assert a value judgment here. Purely subjective, Tiassa, and hardly convincing.
Well, what value judgment could that be?

Oh, perhaps that it's all in what you make of it?

Or that it's what you do with the opportunity? The mere opportunity is merely that?

Atheism does free you to fill in that space. But, like all things, this is not purely good. Much like one's wife leaving. Sure, it frees you up to have other women with less conflict, but come on ... your wife just ditched you.

Frankly, I don't see what you're objecting to.
I've in no way contradicted my assertions regarding Atheism. Only your misconceptions.
Whatever you say, Raithere.

After all, you only responded to a criticism of atheism by tying further philosophy to it.

So, I'll just take it on faith, then, that you haven't contradicted your own assertions. Easy enough?

You know, faith? What one believes despite the evidence? ;)

I'm trying to take this with a smile; like I said, it's not so much that atheists will say whatever they feel like saying, regardless of consistency or integrity in order to win the argument, but it really, really, really looks like you're cutting the legs out from under your own assertions in order to object to T1. On that note, I would say be patient; he'll give you plenty of reasons to object.

thanx,

Re: Raithere

Originally posted by tiassa
Besides, atheism itself leaves you nothing to believe in, and the plenty of others with plenty of reasons to believe them have nothing to do with atheism per se.

You're still not getting it. Atheism offers no alternative philosophy. This is no different than a general notion of Theism would be. Theism alone only indicates a belief in God but mandates nothing else in itself; no specific God nor any mandated morality or conception of the World. A point I will grant you is that Atheism itself is not an alternative to the more complete paradigm of a religion. However, T1's statement "having nothing to believe in" implies that there is no alternative to a theistic philosophy, which is obviously incorrect. Now perhaps T1 did not mean such an implication but, regardless, I felt clarification was necessary.

All I'm after with that quantitative assessment is that the atheism, having nothing other than its anti-identification to offer, does, in fact, leave you or give you nothing to believe in.

"Leave you" and "give you" imply very different states. As I mentioned above.

Actually, Raithere, I'd suggest you watch your mouth.

If you find my comments acerbic then perhaps you should look to the tone in your own posts. I have a strong tendency to reply in kind.

Attempting to fill that void with merely atheism is like trying to fill the oceans with an ice cube.

Uh no, nice little refabrication to make you comment sound reasonable but that is not what you were indicating:

Such as this that you wrote to me a few days back.

Those other things to believe in are not part of atheism, and to tie them to atheism is to attempt to confuse the terminology, wouldn't you say?

Specifically, where you've left T1 to have a point is in your response. Atheism is merely atheism, and doesn't leave you anything to believe in; in that sense, those other things become necessary to fill the void left by what religion would have occupied. It's a little like trying to fill an ocean basin with an ice cube.
You were specifically referring to the "other things" not Atheism.

Thus, additional (further) philosophies, such as humanism, fill the void that religion would have filled.

Which is precisely the position I was stating.

Now, to revisit an old assertion of mine: I've said before that it's possible that atheists don't understand the magnitude of what they're rejecting.

Please. The only thing that makes that statement reasonable is the modifier "it's possible". Other than that you're simply stating that Atheists are ignorant or stupid. Please realize that most Atheist were religious at some point. It is the failings of religion that caused most of us to seek answers elsewhere. Taking into account that most Atheists have considered or have been religious at some point and most Theists have never cognizantly considered Atheism it seems that the logical generalization is that Theists don't realize what their missing. You, excluded, of course considering your history.

Atheism does free you to fill in that space. But, like all things, this is not purely good. Much like one's wife leaving. Sure, it frees you up to have other women with less conflict, but come on ... your wife just ditched you.

Frankly, I don't see what you're objecting to.Whatever you say, Raithere.

So disingenuous Tiassa, tsk tsk. You expressly selected an analogy that is loaded with negative connotations and then liken it to the Atheist experience. Or do you expect me to believe now that you're not intelligent enough to have realized those implications? I've seen too much literary skill in you to believe such. How about we change the analogy to a Husband that leaves his wife? A husband that lies, cheats, and abuses her; one that is controlling, manipulative and refuses to let her better herself? Personally, I find this a much better description of most institutionalized religions. Now what do you think of the poor wife (Atheist) that finally finds herself free of the tyrant?

After all, you only responded to a criticism of atheism by tying further philosophy to it.

No, I did not. I indicated that non-theistic philosophies were available for consideration to the Atheist. Being an Atheist does not imply that one has nothing with which to fill the supposed "void" of religion. Stop trying to make it more than it is.

I'm trying to take this with a smile; like I said, it's not so much that atheists will say whatever they feel like saying, regardless of consistency or integrity in order to win the argument, but it really, really, really looks like you're cutting the legs out from under your own assertions in order to object to T1.

I'm being as consistent as possible, after all these posts are not a pre-written dissertation that I've scoured for any possible contradictions. However, my position and my assertions have not changed.

~Raithere

Raithere

You're still not getting it. Atheism offers no alternative philosophy.
I don't see what I'm not getting, since that lack of alternative philosophy is part of the point. The very simple and narrow notion that there is no God, in addition to nullifying a specific and narrow idea that God is forms only a part of what atheism rejects in its anti-identification. The idea of God, for instance, provides people with a justification for morality. Atheism alone cannot provide this; it must be accompanied by another philosophy in order to begin to replace what the god-concept provides the most part of believers and, incidentally, the greatest portion of the idiotic believers we all, atheist or theist, need to reorient toward something more positive.
Leave you" and "give you" imply very different states. As I mentioned above.
And either case equals nothing.
If you find my comments acerbic then perhaps you should look to the tone in your own posts. I have a strong tendency to reply in kind.
Actually, what annoys me about your comments is that they're false. As I demonstrated, such a position is based upon evidence already included in the topic. I mean, really, what is your problem here?

You asked what I based a specific assertion on, which is well and fine, except that you then went on your propagandous condemnation of the idea as having no support whatsoever, yet I showed you from ideas in this very topic how I reached that position. I suggest that you watch your mouth when you choose to be dismissive of something just because you have chosen not to examine it. Be acerbic if you want. It's better, though, if you have a proper reason.

What's funny, though, is that when you tell me I'm not getting it, and pointing out that atheism offers no alternative philosophy, that is precisely the "typical theistic tripe" that points toward the position you've denounced in earlier posts.

I keep getting the impression that you're making far too big a deal out of the ocean and the ice cube than necessary, but I must confess I have absolutely no idea why the idea is such a big deal to you since you're reminding me of one of the essential points that leads to the analogy. The fundamental point, in fact.
You were specifically referring to the "other things" not Atheism.
Whatever you say, Raithere.

I can only wonder why paragraphs are such disparate entities to people. Would you prefer the word "otherwise"?

Write me a style sheet.
Which is precisely the position I was stating.
Which leaves me wondering why you're raising such a fuss. Is it that you're looking for something to disagree with?
Please. The only thing that makes that statement reasonable is the modifier "it's possible". Other than that you're simply stating that Atheists are ignorant or stupid. Please realize that most Atheist were religious at some point. It is the failings of religion that caused most of us to seek answers elsewhere. Taking into account that most Atheists have considered or have been religious at some point and most Theists have never cognizantly considered Atheism it seems that the logical generalization is that Theists don't realize what their missing. You, excluded, of course considering your history.
Why don't we break that down.

• The only thing that makes that statement reasonable is the modifier "it's possible". Well, it would be irresponsible of me to make a statement that violates my own observation. I've known atheists who do in fact, understand what they're rejecting. It's rare, but even more rare is the theist who knows what s/he is accepting.

Other than that you're simply stating that Atheists are ignorant or stupid. I wouldn't go that far. However, if you insist on silly points like that, it's possible that I might, someday, go that far.

• Please realize that most Atheist were religious at some point. Of course. I wouldn't forget that. But for that to have any significant impact, it would syllogistically suggest a broader awareness of diverse religions in people that is observable. The underlying counterpoint is simple: Joe the Christian decides, as the result of certain ideas, that God doesn't exist. Joe is convinced because all evidence tells him that the Bible was inaccurate, wrong, or whatever. Since Joe has decided that God doesn't exist, he is automatically an authority on diverse religions? There are atheists who do make a point of learning about the religious social phenomenon, since that aspect of faith can directly affect them. But by and large most of what we hear atheists rejecting are ideas of God that many theists have already cast off.

It is the failings of religion that caused most of us to seek answers elsewhere. While I do know of atheists joining churches to find out what they say, I don't know of any, for instance, post-Christian atheists who have spent any amount of time giving other religions honest consideration. That is, the doctrinal explanation of a religion tells us much, the experiential qualities of those religions give different value to the doctrinal explanations.

Taking into account that most Atheists have considered or have been religious at some point and most Theists have never cognizantly considered Atheism it seems that the logical generalization is that Theists don't realize what their missing.I'll grant you that, with the note that I do, in fact, realize what I'm missing. I can handle any pseudo-existential mess as long as I have justified cause to accept standards of right and wrong. But silly, self-centered me thinks that the advancement of the collective is the self-evident purpose of things, so in order to stand on the logical conclusion that right and wrong tend toward the benefit and detriment of the community (e.g. town, nation, species) I must at some point put my foot down. Who here can objectively tell me why murder and rape are wrong? It seems to me we're on that cycle somewhere around here. I'll get back to that point in a moment, though.

You, excluded, of course considering your history. Yes, considering that I've left religion behind for atheism and given atheism up for something that works, I've what? It is only after God ceases to have any stake whatsoever that it can be viewed objectively. That means accepting that something called God is. For the theist, the stake is typically set in religious terms, a narrow set of principles of conduct based on a particularly narrow justification. For the atheist, the stake is the anti-identification itself. Have you ever noticed the atheist tendency to take issue with fundamental literalism? If this is the bulk of the focus on the religion most familiar to these new atheists (who have been religious prior to their atheism) I have no particular pattern by which I might expect broader, more considerate examinations of other religions. I mean, it's on record that an atheist once tried to debunk Wicca by pointing out that it wasn't from the ancient countryside immediately around Rome. (Had to do with the word pagan.) Come on, complaining about happy people? I don't think I've excluded much, and given that I've gone through the very process of trying to fill the void, I consider myself well-enough grounded in both experience and observation to say that you've got to come up with something better than that.
You expressly selected an analogy that is loaded with negative connotations and then liken it to the Atheist experience
Would you have me pretend that atheism uniformly results in sunshine and friggin' rainbows?
Or do you expect me to believe now that you're not intelligent enough to have realized those implications?
Actually, what I don't believe is how specifically you read for things to get offended about.

See, a good number of devout Christians would take the willful departure of their wife better than they would the undeniable realization that God does not exist. A wife is just a wife. But that Christian God is ... well, everything. I tend to think I understated the issue slightly in order to respect diversity; for some people, the loss of God is not so devastating.
Personally, I find this a much better description of most institutionalized religions.
Sure. If you really insist on making that distinction. If it's that valuable to you to look at it that way, fine. Now, what happens when that most fortunate wife left with the kids to care for has no value on paper and no marketable skills? To simply leave it as atheism equalling liberation is deceptive. There is a drawback. Atheism, while it closes some avenues to accidentally making an ass of oneself, opens some others. I can point to a friend of mine, for instance, one of the brighter minds I know, but who devotes such energy to his atheism that it actually interferes with other progress. Or I can point to another bright, bright mind I know well, whose atheism has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with his disturbing perspective.
Now what do you think of the poor wife (Atheist) that finally finds herself free of the tyrant?
Shall I pretend that automatically she's capable of providing for herself? There still exist in our cities many women who live as victims of abuse because they either believe themselves or actually are unable to provide a living for themselves without resorting to prostitution. Having learned to drink in flesh bars, and having even dated strippers before, I can readily say that I was quite surprised at how desperate the conditions are at that level. Several women with whom I became acquainted performed on stage because at least there, they got respect and some cash for it. If the point is to cleanse atheism to a sparkling beacon, I will continue to reject such notions. However we look at it, we cannot pretend that atheism necessarily changes the quality of conditions. It can. But when the void where God was is filled with other moral necessities.
No, I did not. I indicated that non-theistic philosophies were available for consideration to the Atheist. Being an Atheist does not imply that one has nothing with which to fill the supposed "void" of religion. Stop trying to make it more than it is.
Are you implying then, that atheism is those other philosophies as well? Atheism by itself is merely that. I propose that you take your own advice.
I'm being as consistent as possible, after all these posts are not a pre-written dissertation that I've scoured for any possible contradictions. However, my position and my assertions have not changed.
That last part I accept easily. But consistency? If you say so.

As you pointed out, non-theistic philosophies are available for consideration by the atheist. Atheism itself is not those non-theistic philosophies. Those non-theistic philosophies are required in order to fill the void left by the atheistic position, especially when we consider that many atheists are former theists.

thanx,

Downside

Is there a downside to atheism? Sure there is. Try not to believe in a God. Its a little scary is'nt it? Now deal with the fear. Now deal with the truth. The truth is naked and wet and searches the horizon with wide hungry eyes. And that is just your truth. There are many more standing beside you that are confused and angry. Not a cowards plight.

• Please realize that most Atheist were religious at some point.
I don't want to cover old ground too much, I don't want to repeat pages and pages of stuff, but...

This is simply not true. Maybe in an isolated setting such as the USA, I don't know. But certainly not here.

Whereas that statement is not true, the reverse is true: all theists are born atheists. ALL theists were without religion at some point.

Originally posted by Adam

I don't want to cover old ground too much, I don't want to repeat pages and pages of stuff, but...

This is simply not true. Maybe in an isolated setting such as the USA, I don't know. But certainly not here.

Whereas that statement is not true, the reverse is true: all theists are born atheists. ALL theists were without religion at some point.

Statement is not true?

Why do you keep doing this? Blindly stating something is 100% false or not true without looking at the bigger picture. Certainly not in Australia, but because the statement does flow truly in Australia, does it mean that the entire statement itself is false?

Why don't you survey every atheist in here? Then you may apply statistically for the entire world.

Where's your proof that most athiests weren't at some point religious?

And please don't go asking me to prove, you asserted first, so prove, don't change subject.

And all theists are born agnostics. Not athiests, we aren't born rejecting theistic claims, notions of God, or anything like that.

Last edited:
1) Opening statement: "Please realize that most Atheist were religious at some point."

2) Reply: "The opening statement can not be true if it only applies in an isolated setting. Such an isolated setting is not enough grounds for saying that most atheists were religious at some point."

3) "Statement is not true?" See point 2.

Follow the logic.

The statement was a generalization. You called the statement false. Where is your proof?

Where's your proof that it isn't true in Australia?

A break-down of Australia's religions: Anglican 26.1%, Roman Catholic 26%, other Christian 24.3%, non-Christian 11%

Back