Is there a downside to atheism?

Tiassa

You doubt your own vision?

Well, Xev, if all you can do is ridicule Loone in absentia and worry, or, as some atheists do, worry about childish bullshit in the Bible, that's all it's worth.I had an interesting couple of minutes yesterday. I was reading a literary history and as I came to a bit about John Dos Passos, I found myself having an interesting moment. I could hear Sciforums' skeptical/atheist crowd arguing with the river, dammit .... It was amusing in that sense. It's like rejecting e.e. cummings because it doesn't rhyme. Sure, whatever. But it's superficial. I don'tcare if you have a PhD in literature and poetry; if that's as good as one can do, it's superficial.
with....

If you respect your learning so highly, Xev, you ought to try using it.

along with....

That's why I find your position at present so anemic. If you'd like to be careless with your words, then don't complain if you're not perceived as you'd like to be. But you're welcome to revisit the older topic and clarify, or to do so here. But when you say the idea of logical atheism has not been rejected, I'm curious what the fuck your problem with it is, then? You have, in the past, referred to my defense of logical atheism (even against theists) as "my error". Why is it "my error"? After all, if you claim logical atheism has not been rejected by atheists (such as yourself), then please enlighten us all as to what error I made in defending logical atheism despite its inability to function properly in my life.

We're waiting.

Actually, no, we're not. I'm not even waiting. I'm interested to know if you even have an answer for it, Xev, but at some point, it would be nice if you would get to know the concept of communication.

Also with...

If only you were here, Xev, you could hear the beautiful sound of the two tiny violins playing, "Cry Me a River (Stereo Mix)".

Funny, that ... when I do post other topics, atheists (since we're considering them directly) seem to prefer to continue bouncing their egos off the superficial concepts of religion.

alongside...

Wow, now you and Adam are both using schoolyard metaphors when you run out of things to say. Now, do you have anything to say to the grown-ups, or do you wish to remain in your schoolyard metaphors?

Next to...

True, but most humans are as petty and obsessive as you.

Here with...

Aw, Xev, giving up so soon? Just because you can't escape your own words without putting a little thought into them does not mean you should stick your lip out so far. Cheer up, kiddo. You can learn from it or not. It's up to you.

But don't get pissy just because I give such ideas more thought than you do. Neither piss nor envy are your colors, dear.

I can only hope that when you grow up, Xev, you'll learn to examine and explore religion, and not make it your outlet for frustration. Just because you want it one way doesn't mean you're going to get it. And if you can't say what you mean, and if you can't debate honestly, and if you can't remember what you actually wrote, I'm hardly disturbed by the conclusions you have reached. They were predictable, Xev. So much for diversity.

I can list a few more than you've posted on this thread, But I feel I have adequately made my point. While you play up to the trumph card of an arrogant, condenscending person, your best act of yet is your hypocricy. First you condemn slander and " ego " boosting, and then you yourself do it over and over again! Simply amusing.

All courtesy of Tinker.

Which you, Tiassa, followed with:

How would you like me to respond? Specifically, would you like me to waste time here pointing out what you intentionally or otherwise have failed to examine, or would that lead you to ask me why I'm focusing on you? In that case, I'd be happy to PM you as well.

However you would like the response, that's fine. But I'm getting a little sick of having to explain such simple things to you and sitting by while you bemoan a course of events which exists only in the plottings of your imagination.

Now, given what you said above, how do those two paragraphs make any sense whatsoever? Really, Tiassa, I'm curious how you can justify saying I imagined those things Tinker pointed out.

Thank you, Adam, and that is NOT sarcastic

So, given that atheism is only what I just said, what are its problems?
Seriously ... thank you. This is an excellent point.

• So, if atheism is only what you just said, what does that mean when discussing the concept and the next atheist rejects it?

That really does seem to be the source of all confusion here. I'm serious. I will try to explain that directly at some point in the near future. It applies to all ideas, whether religious or not. But the nature of religion and the atheist idea present some necessary considerations each toward the opposite.

Just as a general question, did anyone here have to be taught that money grows doesn't grow on trees, either literally or in the figurative?

I'll try to incorporate that, too.

We'll see.

But yes, you've made an important point, and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Now, this is just funny.

So how many times should I listen to someone make a bigoted declaration (e.g. Adam) only to deny they said it (e.g. Adam), and then have it pointed out to them (e.g. Adam) only to have that ignored while the poster espouses what he "really" meant (e.g. Adam) while constantly being hounded from the blindside for spending so much time on the one side (e.g. Xev)? I mean, Adam's and my disagreement goes back a little ways. I'm not sure what the hell Xev's problem is.
You really do want to get into my pants, don't you? :p

But seriously, if you're going to wildly declare "Adam is a bigot, blah blah blah" and all sorts of things, such declarations don't hold any water unless you actually provide some clear evidence (and I don't mean evidence of disagreeing with your opinion).

Look, the questions simply put

Is atheism ...

• a rejection of god(s)
• a rejection of religion
• a rejection of the supernatural

or

• Does atheism require a rejection?

and

• Is "unconscious" atheism different from "conscious" atheism?

Given that I have made much about the nature of the identification "atheist":

• Is atheism an identification?
• On what is that identification based?

I have charged that it is an anti-identification. I have charged that atheism identifies itself according to what it is not or what it rejects.

so, just to try the question again, in case it reads differently now,

Philosophical integrity consideration:

• Is it really fair to say that "atheism" is anything qualitative? If we discuss an advantage of atheism in one's life, is it really the advantage of "atheism" or is it the advantage of the larger system which includes atheism?

And this really is the heart of the matter:

• Atheism must necessarily have substance in order to compare that substance to another substantial idea. As an abstraction, there is no more that can be said about atheism than can be said about God. But in the practical, well ...?

• Does atheism really understand the full measure of what it rejects when it rejects gods, religions, or whatever range of myth the individual atheist chooses?

• Is unconscious atheism the same as conscious atheism?

I'm repeating that one for a reason.

thanx,

And to the topic...

Okay, what are the problems with atheism?

I have heard/seen it said that atheism does not provide any moral/ethical direction as religions can.

Well, that's absolutely true. Atheism, to me, has never bene about morals and ethics. It's only about a lack of religion. Not a lack of spirituality, just a lack of religion. My own moral-ethical direction has been shaped not by religion, but but my parents, my education, my experiences, and by television.

I've even heard theists complaing that the problem with atheism is that atheists don't believe in god and therefore their souls are in danger. :rolleyes:

This one needs no comment.

Anyone got other serious problems with it?

Well, since you admitted once you don't read my posts ....

But seriously, if you're going to wildly declare "Adam is a bigot, blah blah blah" and all sorts of things, such declarations don't hold any water unless you actually provide some clear evidence (and I don't mean evidence of disagreeing with your opinion).
You mean like the time I cited your assertion that religious people should be prohibited their consciences in public office? Or the time I cited your rejection of the gender equality you would later align yourself to?

Or the time I nailed you lying about my expressed position in order to bury the transition of your stance?

Man, you really don't read my posts, do you? I mean, when you admitted to skimming through the longer ones, I didn't think you were missing that much. A lot of it is, in fact, reiteration and trying to cover certain bases. But that explains why you never directly respond to the evidence when I provide it.

Evidence?

Whether you missed it or merely playing the lamb, this is among what I refer to when I ask you to address me honestly. What satisfaction do you take from misrepresenting people and circumstances?

--Tiassa :cool:

Tiassa, thank you!

Originally posted by tiassa
Is atheism ...

• a rejection of god(s)
• a rejection of religion
• a rejection of the supernatural

or

• Does atheism require a rejection?

and

Given that I have made much about the nature of the identification "atheist":

• Is atheism an identification?
• On what is that identification based?

I have charged that it is an anti-identification. I have charged that atheism identifies itself according to what it is not or what it rejects.

so, just to try the question again, in case it reads differently now,

Philosophical integrity consideration:

• Is it really fair to say that "atheism" is anything qualitative? If we discuss an advantage of atheism in one's life, is it really the advantage of "atheism" or is it the advantage of the larger system which includes atheism?

And this really is the heart of the matter:

• Atheism must necessarily have substance in order to compare that substance to another substantial idea. As an abstraction, there is no more that can be said about atheism than can be said about God. But in the practical, well ...?

• Does atheism really understand the full measure of what it rejects when it rejects gods, religions, or whatever range of myth the individual atheist chooses?

• Is unconscious atheism the same as conscious atheism?

I'm repeating that one for a reason.

thanx,

Much better stuff.

As I've mentioned before, to me it seems there are two flavours of atheist. Those who make an act of rejection against religion, and those who never had religion to reject. For the former, I feel it may require an act of rejection, a decision to leave their past beliefs/indoctrination behind.

As for conscious and subconscious (note that unconscious and subconscious are entirely different), for me it is never a matter at all except when discussing religion and such. So for me, one who was never indoctrinated in any religion, I suppose it could be considered just another facet of personality in the subconscious. For those who make an act or decision of rejection, however, I have noticed that many keep it close to them at every waking moment sort of like a shield against past authority.

I would say for those like me it is far too small and specific a matter to consider "identification" based on it. But for the other type, I would say it can indeed be something by which they identify themselves. Some I have known go so far as to actively proclaim atheism as their way of life (I don't see how) much the same way as we see christian hawkers in the city shouting and handing out pamphlets (okay, maybe not quite that bad).

Atheism must necessarily have substance in order to compare that substance to another substantial idea.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Consider claims that there are little green men building pyramids on Mars. Call it Greenism (theism, for the purposes of the example). Now, this belief has no basis in fact whatsoever. Now consider all those who realise it has no basis in fact, and call them Agreenists (atheists). The agreenist point of view on the matter does not need any substance. It is entirely up to the greenists to provide some substance. After all, the agreenists can not provide substantive proof of a negative. It must be up to those tryign to prove a positive to provide some substance. Meanwhile, the agreenists only consider themselves agreenists when discussing greenism. At any other time they are just people.

This is why I asked, Adam

Although not directed at me - this time - I feel I should help you out with something. When you accuse someone of being childish, a liar, ignorant, a bigot, or any other favourite catch-word, it does not make you look adult and rational. Quite the opposite. It seems, whether intended or not, that you are doing a child's "No, you are!" and poking out your tongue. I'm not saying this to be insulting, just trying to point out how it comes across. I suggest you try to avoid such things
Fair enough, but it does seem to be what you and your special someone seem to prefer.
Indeed. However, humans are also born without superstition.
Well, how technical should we get? How many hairs can we split?
I've been looking back through this thread, and I can't really see anything I might have posted which would warrant:
- Telling me to f--- myself.
- Calling me dishonest.
- Assuming I have a problem.
- Doubting my lack of direct addressing.
It is largely the post to which that outburst responded. When you chose to ask me to leave you out of the topic, I found that to be rather quite offensive. You always seem to be hunting for some issue to take with me, Adam. You admitted that you chose to bash Wicca because of something I had said about it, and you've been after it ever since. You have ignored argumentative points specifically to ask where they are, you have made hard statements which you first denied and then softened when called upon to address their deficiencies, you have stooped so low as to invent a position and assign it to me so that you could reject it while modifying your own position in the topic. By the time I get to the Adam/Xev tag team, I've lost my sense of humor about either one of you. And when you choose to take such a stand as you did, I'm not ducking to get out of your way. I mean, you wrote, Dude, don't bring me into your tiff with Xev. I'm just an innocent friggin bystander. Now, let's just take a look at that tiff. Eh? Why are you asking me not to bring you into my discussion with Xev when it is, in fact, Xev, who invoked your name?

So to take your four points:

• You have been dishonest in your posts before.
• I doubt the honesty of the occasions that you address me because you are repeatedly dishonest in your posts.
• This dishonesty seems quite related to your frequent need to oppose me on points that perhaps you shouldn't need to. I'm thinking, for instance, of the recent gender-combat topic. How far into it were we before you started defining your position? And how different was that from what you had posted earlier in the topic? Your modification of the religion/politics point seemed equally dishonest. And every time you try to play some sort of victim. And now. Except you chose to pick your bone with me. Hey, if you want to be left out of my tiff with Xev, tell Xev.
• Telling you to f--k yourself is my cumulative frustration at the ongoing lack of integrity in your posts. You've been at this for months now and I'm rather quite tired of it.

I mean, since it's well enough for you to falsely attribute a position to me in order to refute me, what respect do you think I owe you? I'm curious as to what you think about that.

So why don't you tell me what respect I owe you that you don't think you owe me in return. So far it's taken two of you to keep this going. I spent last evening entertaining and didn't read the essay I said I would, so I have to put Xev off for a while today. Not a problem. I'd rather take the time to give her an answer than keep at this.

And I'd rather, in the long run, find either something better to talk about with you or nothing at all. I will not abide this mountain of horseshit you keep throwing at me, though. Whatever your problem is, you either need to get it off your chest or get over with it.

It slays me, in a way. On the one hand, you demand an ancient definition for pagan while trying to write a new definition for theist. I don't understand why you need the discussion settled before it starts.

And it blows my mind, when you ask for evidence. I've offered it in other threads. And you never really do address it. I can only conclude, based (A) on the lack of direct response to those posts, (B) the request for evidence that has already been provided, and (C) your acknowledgment that you don't read portions of my posts, that either you simply did not read that evidence, or have no adequate response to it. Simply asking for what has already been given doesn't help the situation. It is not my place to sit around for hours dredging all of that up again so that you can forget you asked for it and wonder publicly why I'm so worried about you.

So, seriously ... if you're going to address your innocent-friggin'-bystander lament to me, then yes, you need to go f--k yourself. She's your tag-team partner for Jiminy Cricket's sake. What am I supposed to do about it?

thanx much,

Tiassa, I think we have very different ideas about respect, integrity, evidence, and so on.

Now, does my previous post help at all?

As for conscious and subconscious (note that unconscious and subconscious are entirely different), for me it is never a matter at all except when discussing religion and such.
To me, subconscious would suggest a psychological association. I'm referring to the one who has no consciousness of god, religion, or the rejection of god.
So for me, one who was never indoctrinated in any religion, I suppose it could be considered just another facet of personality in the subconscious.
But you do consciously identify yourself as an atheist? I realize that word is somewhat in doubt, according to the Adam's way topic you referred me to, but I think you know what I mean.
For those who make an act or decision of rejection, however, I have noticed that many keep it close to them at every waking moment sort of like a shield against past authority.
Is that all of those? Might it be that you're not recognizing enough acts or decisions? It's kind of a high percentage if we stick with all.
I would say for those like me it is far too small and specific a matter to consider "identification" based on it.
You might be examining too large an identification.
I'm not sure I agree with this.
I'm assuming that, by this argument, the Greenists have sufficient cause for the manifestation of their vision? That is, something compels them to believe in the little green men and the pyramids and the glaven?

Toward that point:

• God
• Bible
• God as described by the Bible

Are we addressing the first or the third bullet in the illustration?

I would also encourage you to bear in mind that when considering notions related to the word "god", we are considering notions related to a word which has no synonyms, and no analogies.

thanx,

Different, indeed

Tiassa, I think we have very different ideas about respect, integrity, evidence, and so on.
Probably. I mean, I showed you your words and explained how I arrived at my conclusions. If that doesn't suffice in terms of evidence, perhaps you should tell me what your evidentiary standard is. I recall the occasions that would respond to something I wrote with a change of subject, even possibly a true and honest misperception which put you on the wrong track; I'll never know for sure; you called me a fascist. I don't find that respectful. Whatever condemnation you found in those early exchanges when I said you missed the point is entirely your own. You were, in fact, missing the point, as evidenced by your arguments. But your idea of respect ... see what it's earned you? Or were you consciously and intentionally being disrespectful? Of integrity ... the number of times you've modified your positions and even disowned them speaks toward at least one definition of the word; your false attribution of an argumentative position to me speaks toward another.
Now, does my previous post help at all?
It reminds me that you like bulleted, easy-to-read posts. The less words the better.

There's a few questions about that post. None of them are as harsh as this part of the exchange, though. I'll leave them in their own post.

thanx,

tiassa,

It's not as simple as that. However, it would be quite ridiculous, would it not, to argue against the Christian God when it is the Hindu theology you're trying to undo? I see this habit quite frequently among atheists. Specifically, because atheism is reactionary and an anti-identification, what seems to happen is that the "atheist" will accomplish an intellectual rejection of the religion most immediately affecting him/her self, and, quite often, extend the basis of that rejection toward other ideas about which the atheist is less intellectually aware. The extension is symptomatic of identification needs. And that's why it's important to examine the reactionary nature of atheism. To be consciously atheist, one must necessarily have something to reject (e.g. a god). Thus, the reaction is, as in nature, dependent on the action.

Well, I do agree that to argue againest the Christian God while addressing the Hindu theology would be a little....misplaced. However, as I stated before, using Occam's Razor, if the Hindu ( or any other theology ) are met with the same inconsistencies that is faced in the Christian religion, then I don't see any need to further invistigate said religions.

This is part of an ongoing discussion I'm having with others, who dislike any sense of logical obligation that might come with identifying one's philosophy as rational or logical. It's an issue of consistency, whether or not someone can slap a bumper sticker on a Tonka and call it a Mercedes. However, I would point out Humanism--is it really the same as atheism?

And this is part of a larger issue that I'll try to get back to in a moment.

Humanism is very different then atheism. I feel I have to remind you, that atheism is not a philosophy, not any sort of moral doctrine. It's simple a position. True, it is an anti-identification position, but thayts all it is. It makes no promises, sets no goals, or outlines any possible answer for reality.

Humanism however, is a philosophy. It bases itself on reason, and logic. The only "truths" that it purposes is that which can be scientifically found, or reasonably brought to. Athiesm, is simply a characteristic, as God(s) have (yet) to be reasonable proven.

Furthermore, we might point out that atheists have no reason to believe in their own conceptions of God. Beyond that, they're working with imperfect communication. Certes, we might reject the apparent symptoms of any given individual's religious faith, but we cannot confirm the experience.

I agree with this. However, every individual's "experience" is obviously subjective. Furthermore, they can't really use "experience" as viable proof, unless he can somehow allow others to share in that same experience.

If he can't, then why am I obligated to believe anything he says? He/she may have very well had an extraordinary experience, but if he can't show it to others, then how can I believe that it points to something outside of his mind?

Well, if the atheists were to discuss religions, I wouldn't mount such an objection. But by and large, it seems that the Religion forum is, to our atheists, largely a place to rehearse comedy acts that were stale in the last century. So few of them have anything insightful to offer, anything particularly honest to consider. So much of it is masked behind veils of smoky humor and shallow wit that one wonders why they bother. I mean, rejecting the least-educated, most superstitious notions within the whole of the Christian spectrum, objecting as some do to all-powerful gods who are everywhere and see everything ... well, how hard is that, really? What does it gain anyone? If someone's here arguing on behalf of it, then refute it. But it's more than a little disturbing to see people resorting to invented generalisms to object to instead of working with the perfectly nasty quirks of reality that do exist.

Well, I will give you that. Most of the discussions here probably have very little to do with religion itself, and one doesn't gain anything disproving every little point that theists present.

However, I would argue, that it is nessecary. The thiests here could be here for any reason that suits them. Some of them may be genuinely interested in a path of reason, and some might just be here to dignify themselves ( if I may say such a thing. )

I'll admit it here and now, thats one my main reasons for hanging around here. Growing up in the Deep South, in a Southern Baptist community, I can't go anywhere without seeing some sort " Jesus is Lord " rhetoric, or "Christian thinking " type advertisements. I feel like I'm constantly having to remind myself that it's ok for me to feel the way I feel.

So, prehaps any posts I may make may not offer anything of substance to the field at all, but it offers things of substance to myself, personnally.

Reguarding your conflict with Adam and Xev, please know that I understand your feelings. I've had similar conflicts with Jan Ardena ( I'm sure everyone is well aware of my sparing-matches with him ), so I can relate to your feelings of frustrated.

You asked for my opinion to how to react. Now, I'm not going to dare try and parent you, or tell you whats best. Do I personnally feel your reactions have been appropriate? No, not in the slightest.

Now I gather from your previous posts that you disdain engaging in meaningless conflict. My critism of you was based purely on my observation of how you've been reacting throughout this forum.

Whatever you do with Adam and Xev, is your choice, and not mind. Just keep in mind, that if you ( or Adam or Xev, or even myself ) act hypocritically, assholes like me are going to come around, and point it out to you in a rather annoying way ;)

I dealy with Jan by simply placing him on my ignore list. Honestly, I don't feel it's worth the aggravition for me to waste my time running around in circles with him. It's not good for me ( mentally ) nor is appropriate to continue the debate with him.

Now you say that they've lied to you, and have basically done everytihng they could to get on your bad side. Like any accusation, I hope you can provide proof of it. However, while they may require extensive proof, myself will only require brief explanations.

If I find your accusations true, then I will join you in critizing them ( when and if it's appropriate. )

Personnally, I find Adam and Xev both charming company. Adam I have no quarrel with, and I've found often presents logically, rational arguements. While I don't share some of his....critisms....reguarding the Wiccan faith ( I like Wiccans, personnaly ), I hold no fault in the man.

Xev I find to be very witty, outright hilarious, and a needed factor in these boards. She can not only present sound arguements, but she can expertly make a fool out of most people who spew out assumptions and false claims. ( thiest, or atheist alike )

I find it very undignified to ridicule one who is (A) not present, and (B) very possibly suffering psychiatric disability. She told me to have a sense of humor about it. I told her to have a sense of dignity about it. Seems fair. My sense of humor does, in fact, stretch to cover mental illness, but I prefer such humor to be a little less vicious, a little more natural, and a lot more subtle.

Are you suffering a mental illness? I deeply apologize if you are, you have my sympathies. I myself battled with Major Depression for a few months ( and I was hospitalized twice for my...behavior.... )

If Xev has ridiculed you reguarding your mental illness, then yes, she is at fault ( to me ). I don't see any dignity in that, and I would agree with that.

And do tell me, good Tinker, at what point I addressed you in that? I'm also open to whatever interpretation gives you offense. Perhaps there's something about the phrase that I don't see, but I'll need you to explain it before I can possibly address it.

My rebuke was targeted at your condenscending tone through-out this topic. Prehaps it was warranted, prehaps not. If it is, then I apologize for my rebuke. If it isn't, then I stand by it.

(Seriously, Tinker, I don't know how you feel about people lying about you, but I told Adam at the time that I ran out of reasons to respect him when he shifted to that tactic. I'm not inclined to drag Porfiry into it because it's merely a matter of annoyance, and there's no sense of threat to complain about. For Adam's part, I find it to be quite harassing, but I'm generally happy to let people make fools of themselves. It's the lying and the wriggling that gets me hot under the collar. But you've been so kind as to point all of this out, Tinker, so I'm perfectly willing to hear your proposals toward a solution. Xev and I are, hopefully, trying to hammer a few things out in a different thread. But your perspicacity is admirable, and I await your wisdom.)

No need for flattery. I'd rather not have it.

As I said before, I understand your frustration. And if your claims are true, then I will join you in condemning liars and bullies. If not, then I will stand with my previous stance, which is one of ridiculing the hypocrite :)

Atheism... downside...

The main downside to atheism is this:

For you, this world tainted with death, unfairness, and hate is the best it will ever get. After all, you don't believe in an afterlife.

If this world was all I had, I'd be pretty depressed.

-Mike

Ekimklaw,

For you, this world tainted with death, unfairness, and hate is the best it will ever get. After all, you don't believe in an afterlife.

If you believe that this is how atheists look at the world, then you are seriously doing us a dis-service sir.

Because I don't believe in an afterlife, my life is s much more fulfilling. I know that this is my only chance, the only shot I get at self-awareness. While I honestly don't know what lies beyond, worrying about whether I was going to a "heaven or hell" was acually one of the biggest burdens in my life. Constantly worrying about what some invisble man in the sky thought of me weight very heavily on me...

I'm sorry you feel thats all their is to the world. :(

Re: Atheism... downside...

Originally posted by Ekimklaw
The main downside to atheism is this:

If this world was all I had, I'd be pretty depressed.

-Mike
Mike, you are seriously misinformed. That post was equivalent to responding to the topic with "You're all gonna burn in hell!"

Death is real. I accept it. People can be unfair. People hate.

However, hate is not the best it gets. In one respect I must agree with Truthseeker, that love is the best it gets. Please show me rationally how you came to the conclusion that hate is the best it gets.

Tinker ... continuing with the examination

However, as I stated before, using Occam's Razor, if the Hindu ( or any other theology ) are met with the same inconsistencies that is faced in the Christian religion, then I don't see any need to further invistigate said religions
And that's a powerful if that is not necessarily achieved. I had, in a prior post pointed to this topic, and it serves as an excellent example. To wit:
The main thing i don't understand is why everyone even most atheist seem to think that there is no evidence disproving god. The fact is that a being with infite power that sees everythig would be easily detectable
Now, while I have no beef with Neutrino Albatross, I did point out in that topic what I refer to here:
You're confusing the notion of god with a specific God. As a theist, I can easily say that my conception of God has nothing to do with a being of infinite power that sees everything.
An atheist who rejects God rejects a specific form of God, and thus a God rather than God itself. The infinitely-powered, all-seeing God is an exceptionally limited notion. History shows that the Greek monotheism limited the conduct of the diverse gods, submission to a blind, overriding, insensitive concept.

It is especially ironic since the Christians, wo brought one of these infinitely-powered, all-seeing gods to power were considered atheists by pagans in their foundling period because of the incredibly ridiculous conception of God the Christians put forth.

I have, before, used Genesis as an example here. Consider the debates that go on both in Sciforums and society pertaining to the book of Genesis. Most familiar to us in the United States is the Creationism debate. People often focus on the days of creation or the presence of two creation stories in Genesis. And I'm not immune from spending words on that topic when it's necessary, but considering the importance of the idea of Original Sin in Western thought I find such an examination more important than arguments of seven days, numbers of ribs, and so forth. We know, truly, that creation stories are broader myths that cannot be taken literally.

And that's where we enter into the idea of why anything? What, for instance, is so important about seven days or the number of ribs that it really matters? To that end, what is the purpose of spending effort refuting the unsupportable, least educated, most superstitious part of any religion?

So such as we see in terms of atheists' tendencies to focus on the most apparent and superficial aspects of a religion, and applying Occam's Razor as you have pointed out, I would invite any atheist to enter that discussion with a Buddhist monk or a Sufi. The Sufi might actually laugh in derision at being asked to consider an infantile expression of God; they've laughed at less before.

Furthermore, sticking to the superficial aspects of a religion (e.g. seven days, number of ribs) leaves out much about the God. The God of the Bible is not merely derived from the Bible. I would invite any atheist choosing combat with this God to spend some time among Qabalism and other sorceries related to the Judeo-Christian experience. Watch what Qabalism does to God, what Dr Dee and E. Kelley do to God, what Barret does to God, what Crowley and the Dawn did to God (devotional incantations involving the Christ do, in fact, appear in entry-level instruction texts. It may seem odd, but what these magickers have done is seized upon specific aspects of the godhead and dissected them. Discovering a little bit about what they did and putting that back into the context of vulgar Christianity brings light to the notion of the infinitely-endowed, all-seeing godhead.

Just as an example.
Humanism is very different then atheism. I feel I have to remind you, that atheism is not a philosophy, not any sort of moral doctrine. It's simple a position.
So what we see, then, is that the common-sense "atheism" that people raise and which they have such difficulty defining or accepting is, in fact, atheism plus accretions.

Think of how inappropriate it is to say that atheism (negative), because atheism is not a philosophy or moral doctrine. Well, is it any more appropriate for an atheist to say that atheism (positive)? Or is that, in fact, humanism, transhumanism, psychology, ad infinitum, combined with the atheistic presumption?

To wit: I see a number of atheists throwing their hat into the ring because they've chosen to stand with other atheists, and because they've chosen to include themselves in the criticisms of atheism discussed. There is, often, a selfish tendency among people of any paradigm, to cling together despite their differences. I used to point out some of the worst foibles of Christians only to have people I had thought intelligent decide that I must be talking about them and step in to undertake an untenable position that, had the word Christian not been involved, they would not have taken. I see this among atheists, too. A general rejection of any criticism of atheism because people are attaching too much to it in order to criticize, yet a general praise of atheism that does not recognize that the individuals praising are not, in fact, praising the same concept. As we've noted, atheism is merely atheism, and anything beyond that is it's own. It seems that there is a tendency to identify positively through a mechanism that is unacceptable for the critical voice. I do find that base scrambling both puzzling and amusing. But I don't feel the atheists are doing much to clarify their position.
Humanism however, is a philosophy. It bases itself on reason, and logic. The only "truths" that it purposes is that which can be scientifically found, or reasonably brought to. Athiesm, is simply a characteristic, as God(s) have (yet) to be reasonable proven.
Such as this. The atheistic position can merely say that the atheist does not believe in God. Anything beyond that is other philosophy.

I would, instead, ask about the comparative values of Humanism. I guarantee you that any philosophy in the abstract relies upon a priori constructions and cannot be shown to be wholly or purely objective. The starting point is arbitrary, though it may be acknowledged as responsive to observable limitations.
I agree with this. However, every individual's "experience" is obviously subjective. Furthermore, they can't really use "experience" as viable proof, unless he can somehow allow others to share in that same experience.

If he can't, then why am I obligated to believe anything he says? He/she may have very well had an extraordinary experience, but if he can't show it to others, then how can I believe that it points to something outside of his mind?
I see the act of an atheist conceiving of a notion of God, identifying it with a concept, and then objecting based upon perception, conception, and, as a sad result, deception. Only if we expect language to communicate perfectly (which it does not) can we go from an imperfect expression of God to the perfect rejection thereof.

However, if I say one is in the presence of God, how can it possibly be demonstrated to someone who insists on a different definition of the word?

Consider this idea:

Theistic assertion: God is greater than that which can be conceived.

This comes straight from the Christians. The statement, when left to itself, is a wonderful moment of philosophical realization that, had the rest of Christianity understood the honesty of it, might have spared us some of the headache of the last few centuries.

To be in the presence of God, though, means a number of things. Specifically, I might be referring to a roomful of art which, taken together in its proper historical context, happens to speak toward a fundamental truth. It is here that "revelation" from "God" might occur, when the pieces of the puzzle, presented such as they are, affirm or explain a fundamental truth.

And toward that end, a slight diversion. I believe it was the fictitious Rabo Karabekian of Vonnegut's novels who was amid a minimalist phase in Breakfast of Champions. His two most famous paintings in the stories are (A) a massive panel of one color of blue, and (B) a canvas painted dark green with a strip of day-glo orange tape across it. This second idea is more important to me.

The idea being that the strip of tape represented a band of light which, in turn, represented the human essence. I've watched people have revelations examining art, watched something so simple as a few irresponsible brushstrokes, or the arrangement of classic dance postures, or the arrangement of words in a sequence, incite a deeper understanding of the human condition.

To look, as the metaphor has it, at the band of light, the pure characterization of the living endeavor--every once in a while we get to do that. Or, at least, we get to see a facet of it. And this may well be what one means by being in the presence of God.

But nope, it's not possible is it? Because any infinitely-powered, all-seeing God would be easily detectable ... ad nauseam.

Now, perhaps it's some other behavioral principle that causes this quirk of atheism, but when atheists identify it as atheism, or use their atheism to arrive at that rejection, what am I supposed to say? They're rejecting something that is all their own, and not necessarily what is in front of them.
Now you say that they've lied to you, and have basically done everytihng they could to get on your bad side. Like any accusation, I hope you can provide proof of it.
Sure. There's a women-in-combat topic in World Affairs which contains one of Adam's and my recent exchanges. Xev is a different issue. After Adam picked a fight with Wicca, she advised me to not get into a theist/atheist fight. I asked her then, since I was given to defending atheism, why I would do that. She never answered. And she's been in the trenches with Adam since. But if you'd like a time-frame, look for Kalvin B's last posts (I'm thinking of his "jackass" tantrum). Within days after, Adam and I were at each other's throats. Bashing for the sake of bashing, and then the rest of it that I've had the dubious duty of recounting to you.
Are you suffering a mental illness? I deeply apologize if you are, you have my sympathies. I myself battled with Major Depression for a few months ( and I was hospitalized twice for my...behavior.... )

If Xev has ridiculed you reguarding your mental illness, then yes, she is at fault ( to me ). I don't see any dignity in that, and I would agree with that.
Actually, Xev has a problem with Sir Loone, and while we all did, I see no reason to continue ridiculing him in such an annoying manner after he's gone. Of course, you did mention the option of ignoring people. I recall that Adam once feigned surprise that I had eventually put Loone on ignore. He found too much entertainment value in Loone's tendency to embarrass himself. I have no problem with responding to posters while they're at it, and I'm admittedly prone to making references to earlier fights with T1 or KB, but I would hope those references serve toward something other than the satisfaction of my own ideological bloodlust. Thankfully, though, there has been a reduction in the marquee-text ranting and idiocy going on around here.
My rebuke was targeted at your condenscending tone through-out this topic. Prehaps it was warranted, prehaps not. If it is, then I apologize for my rebuke. If it isn't, then I stand by it.
Makes sense. If I take the small pleasure that my tone of condescension is that much more powerful than others, it gives me something to think about that might help avoid such nasty flare-ups in the future. And that's actually sincere; you may have noticed that I have several grades of conduct that can be called "condescending". I generally like to think that when I switch into that mode, I am, in fact, attempting to "speak the language of the natives".
No need for flattery. I'd rather not have it.
There is that. You've watched a lot even in this topic merely to be moved to comment on it.
As I said before, I understand your frustration. And if your claims are true, then I will join you in condemning liars and bullies. If not, then I will stand with my previous stance, which is one of ridiculing the hypocrite
A Jedi warning, if I might? Specifically, that's exactly how I used to look at it. Following that course seems to end up with the traveler being accused of hypocrisy. Fair enough, I suppose, but beware of that result on your own path.

thanx much,

Accreted necessity?

Raithere

Help me out with this extension of atheism. You wrote (6.17.02, 15.52 PDT)
Atheism is a simple statement of disbelief. Anyone who tries to include any further philosophy is simply using a confused terminology
This is fair. This seems to be what atheists are now demanding we restrict atheism to. And I'm happy to, in the end. Except it's confusing because of stuff like this, from the same point:
Declaratory: The problem with declaratory atheism is that, since there's not much to it, the position becomes one declared in reaction to another. It's not possible to say, "I'm an atheist, and so should you be." That idea makes atheism into Atheism.

I’m an atheist, and so should you be; it’s a rational conclusion based upon logic and evidence (or lack thereof).
That's very subjective isn't it? Why attach the moral weight of should? That is, why presume the correctness of a data set in order to attach a moral necessity to the concept of atheism?

Are we dealing with a confused terminology, since there is a further philosophy attached to atheism in your statement? Especially in light of a statement from the same post:
The logical conclusion that God does not exist is hardly offensive. It is, in fact, a result of observation. But the logic ends there.

That’s all that atheism states so why should it go on?
Again you reaffirm the narrowness of the atheistic concept. Why, then, extend the necessity of should to it?

And that is an example of what's at the heart of this debate for me. I can fully accept the answers and ideas I'm presented, but only in their theoretical state. People are attempting to identify a state that does not seem to exist in them, and attach themselves to it. It's kind of like subjective objectivity--it's not that anyone is necessarily being sinister, but it really does seem that people are defending something that isn't here. In that sense, it's kind of like the Christians telling us about the ideals of their religion and how great it is without ever examining the real manifestation of those ideas.

But people are hammering home the point (on the one hand) that atheism is _____ (any number of variations on a rejection of god/religion/ideas) and that's all there is to it, while continuing to attach other ideas directly to it. And, as we see, the idea that "there's not much to atheism"--one which you seem to agree with--seems to upset some of our atheists. Why is this?

I'm having difficulty with the concept that I'm responding to one person's idea of atheism while being contradicted by another person who doesn't hold that same view of atheism. It would seem that, for a simple concept, some agreement could be had on what it is. But as we fan some of the dust out of the air, some of the glaring issues of the problem of atheism's definition and implementation are showing through with sparkling clarity.

So I would ask you exactly at what point you drop the hammer and say that "atheism is"? I've read your posts, and I'm still curious about why you would note the error of attaching superfluous philosophies to atheism, while at the same time attaching a superfluous necessity to it.

thanx much,

Constantly worrying about what some invisble man in the sky thought of me weight very heavily on me...

See, that's a really one sided view on all that is not atheism. Just like there are some stereotype views on atheism.

See the wealth of spirituality before you narrow it down to the invisible man in the sky.

Originally posted by A4Ever

See, that's a really one sided view on all that is not atheism. Just like there are some stereotype views on atheism.

See the wealth of spirituality before you narrow it down to the invisible man in the sky.

Well, I will concede that it is a rather narrow view on spirituality. Not ALL faiths require an idea of some God-head or another.

However, my question would then be- Do I need it to lead a happy and fulfilling life?

If the answer is No, then the point is moot. If the answer is Yes, then I'll require an explanation why.

tiassa,

And that's a powerful if that is not necessarily achieved. I had, in a prior post pointed to this topic, and it serves as an excellent example. To wit:

I don't see how it is. If I reject God A under a certain critirion, and God B-Z require the same tihng God A did, then why should the other religions be any more valid then the first?

And even if they are, the question begs: Why hasn't "God" made better attempts at communicating the "proper message" to the masses? If God really wants me to know him, to love him, then it would only prudent that he come down and talk to me himself.

An atheist who rejects God rejects a specific form of God, and thus a God rather than God itself. The infinitely-powered, all-seeing God is an exceptionally limited notion. History shows that the Greek monotheism limited the conduct of the diverse gods, submission to a blind, overriding, insensitive concept.

It is especially ironic since the Christians, wo brought one of these infinitely-powered, all-seeing gods to power were considered atheists by pagans in their foundling period because of the incredibly ridiculous conception of God the Christians put forth.

I have, before, used Genesis as an example here. Consider the debates that go on both in Sciforums and society pertaining to the book of Genesis. Most familiar to us in the United States is the Creationism debate. People often focus on the days of creation or the presence of two creation stories in Genesis. And I'm not immune from spending words on that topic when it's necessary, but considering the importance of the idea of Original Sin in Western thought I find such an examination more important than arguments of seven days, numbers of ribs, and so forth. We know, truly, that creation stories are broader myths that cannot be taken literally.

And that's where we enter into the idea of why anything? What, for instance, is so important about seven days or the number of ribs that it really matters? To that end, what is the purpose of spending effort refuting the unsupportable, least educated, most superstitious part of any religion?

So such as we see in terms of atheists' tendencies to focus on the most apparent and superficial aspects of a religion, and applying Occam's Razor asyou have pointed out, I would invite any atheist to enter that discussion with a Buddhist monk or a Sufi. The Sufi might actually laugh in derision at being asked to consider an infantile expression of God; they've laughed at less before.

Furthermore, sticking to the superficial aspects of a religion (e.g. seven days, number of ribs) leaves out much about the God. The God of the Bible is not merely derived from the Bible. I would invite any atheist choosing combat with this God to spend some time among Qabalism and other sorceries related to the Judeo-Christian experience. Watch what Qabalism does to God, what Dr Dee and E. Kelley do to God, what Barret does to God, what Crowley and the Dawn did to God (devotional incantations involving the Christ do, in fact, appear in entry-level instruction texts. It may seem odd, but what these
magickers have done is seized upon specific aspects of the godhead and dissected them. Discovering a little bit about what they did and putting thatback into the context of vulgar Christianity brings light to the notion of the infinitely-endowed, all-seeing godhead.

As I stated above with A4ever, Unless I should be at all inclined ( for whatever reason ) to believe or live by said paths. If I don't, then this discussion is moot. If I should, I expect to know why. If you can't provide a reason beyond " just because " then I'm not even going to give you the time of day. I just don't see why I should.

I would, instead, ask about the comparative values of Humanism. I guarantee you that any philosophy in the abstract relies upon a priori constructions and cannot be shown to be wholly or purely objective. The starting point is arbitrary, though it may be imitations.

Point taken. However, Humanism does not claim to be "the answer" as so many religions often take the stance. Humanism is relative, and is only made up of those who choose to associate themselves with it. Those who don't are not looked down on in any manner of speaking.

The reason I follow Humanism is because it best suits my ideology(sp?) and perception. Of course, I don't mind at all different views ( Makes things interesting ). However, as I stated before, If I'm not any inclination too believe a different perpective, then I'll make my own choices as I see fit.

• Theistic assertion: God is greater than that which can be conceived.

I've always disgreed with this notion for several reasons.
1) It doesn't point to any specific God. Oh I'm more than willing to accept the notion that their can be a God. But which one, and why?
2) It appeals to ignorance. " Just because I can't concieve of it myself, doesn't mean it isn't real. " Hogwash reasoning. If I should follow any sort of doctrine, I demand to know why. And if I find those reasons lacking, then it will be dismissed.
3) I doesn't provide any proof, and it acually circular in reasoning.

Makes sense.

I'm glad we agree. So if you further any acts of hypocrisy, then you'll understand when I jeer and laugh at you myself :) ( And I most certainly expect you to do the same to me! :)

A Jedi warning, if I might? Specifically, that's exactly how I used to look at it. Following that course seems to end up with the traveler being accused of hypocrisy. Fair enough, I suppose, but beware of that result on your own path.

Hmmm. Good point. I'll have to keep that mind in posts ahead :bugeye:

Wow what a great thread...

Off topic somewhat at times but over all a good thread.

Now to the question at hand. " Is there a downside to atheism?"

Simply put *no!*

The anti-identification as Tiassa labels it, is just that, i'ts just a label for a word with which has no philosophical grounds, it's identity is "non-theism"

It is the willfull rejection of "any" religious belief.

If there is such a thing as subconscious rejection of belief, it is easily identified as ignorance of such beliefs. i.e.. when Europeans brought there sets of religious belifs to the Americas the aboriginies of America "indians" were ignorant of these believes. They had their own mysticism.

back to the topic;

What could be the downside of athiesm is created through the ignorance of others, or what they consider athiests are, or the way we are categorized, i.e. with out morals, with out commons sence etc.

Since I do folow a philosophy which is Objectivism I'll imput some of the wisdom Leonard Peikoff writes on the topic of atheism.

"Every argument for god and every attribute ascribed to him rests on a false metaphysical premise. None can survive for a moment on a correct metahysics.
Existence exists, and only existence exists. Existence is a primary: it is uncreated, indestructible, eternal. So if you are to postulate something beyond existence--some supernatural realm--you must do it by openly denying reason, dispencing with definitions, proofs, arguments, and saying flatly, "To hell with argument, I have faith." That of course, is a willfull rejection of reason.
Objectivism advocates reason as man's sole means of knowledge, and therefore, for the reasons I have already given, it is atheist. It denies any supernatural dimension presented as a contradiction of nature, of existence. This applies not only to god, but also to every variant of the supernatural ever advocated or to be advocated. In other words, we accept reality, and that's all."

Now for another identification of what we've have witnessed on this thread:

ARGUMENT FROM INTIMIDATION: There is a certain type of argument which, in fact, is not an argument, but a means of forestalling debate and extorting an opponent's agreement with one's undiscussed notions. It is a method of bypassing logic by means of psychological pressure. It consists of theatening to impeach an opponent's character by means of his argument, thus impeaching the argument without debate. Example: "Only the immoral can fail to see that Candidate X's argument is false." The falsehood of his argument is asserted arbitrarily and offered as proof of his immorality.
In today's epistemological jungle, that second method is used more frequently than any other type of irrational argument. It should be classified as a logical fallacy and may be designated as "THE ARGUMENT FROM INTIMIDATION."
The essential characteristics of the AFI is it's appeal to moral self-doubt and its reliance on the fear, quilt or ignorance of the victim. It is used in the form of an ultimatum demanding of beign considered morally unworthy. The pattern is always: "only those who are evil (dishonest, heartless, insensitive, ignorant, etc.) can hold such an idea."

Yea! I got that from one of my Objectivist literature, Ayn Rand, my hero!!.

However I think I've just witnessed the Above thread as the Argument From Intimidation with the rants of both parties.

Back