Is there a downside to atheism?

TheChosen, I know you have certain troubles with logic and rationalisation, so I'll go over it once again.

The statement of "most" is absolutely false. It is up to the originator of such a statement to provide supporting evidence. I was under the impression you had been involved in school debates or such.

Originally posted by Adam
The Chseon, I know you have certain roubles with logic and rationalisation, so I'll go over it once again.

The statement of "most" is absolutely false. It is up to the originator of such a statement to provide supporting evidence. I was under the impression you had been involved in school debates or such.

There you go again, "absolutely false" - *sighs* proof?

You can ask Raithere, and maybe Tiassa can help since he agreed with Raithere. I agree also.

Adam, it doesn't matter, you still asserted saying "absolutely false", and I'm asking you to prove. Can you or can you not? I'm guessing the latter, but we'll see.

How do you know it is "absolutely false"? You must have proof to state such a statement or is it your "half-baked" opinion?

A few issues concerning this latest change in direction

We need to review a little bit of history here. Specifically, the history of this topic, because it may affect the direction of other portions of the debate.

Let's start with T1 ....

• .... the downside to atheism is having nothing to believe in. (Tony1, 6.23.02, 00.00 PDT)

Says who? God is only one concept, there are plenty of others to believe and for much better reasons too. (Raithere, 6.24.02, 17.22 PDT)

•  Atheism is merely atheism, and doesn't leave you anything to believe in; in that sense, those other things\ become necessary to fill the void left by what religion would have occupied. It's a little like trying to fill an ocean basin with an ice cube. The ice cube is a useful contribution, but you'll also need rivers, rains, and so forth. Sunlight, for instance, or some other source of heat to melt the ice cube. (Tiassa, 6.24.02, 22.51 PDT)

• And you base this assertion upon what evidence? Rather typical Theistic tripe your spouting Tiassa, it must be late. (Raithere, 6.24.02, 23.51 PDT)

• 
- Atheism is simply that. Any attempt to attach further philosophy to atheism results in a confused philosophy, right?
- Therefore, atheism is only it's anti-identification.
- But atheism, in rejecting God, rejects what is the basis for many people's moral structures.
- These elements of moral structure are what I'm referring to.
- Atheism itself is unable to provide these.
- Attempting to fill that void with merely atheism is like trying to fill the oceans with an ice cube.
- Thus, additional (further) philosophies, such as humanism, fill the void that religion would have filled.

Now, to revisit an old assertion of mine: I've said before that it's possible that atheists don't understand the magnitude of what they're rejecting. This is almost exactly what I'm getting after. (Tiassa, 6.25.02, 1.08 PDT)
Please. The only thing that makes that statement reasonable is the modifier "it's possible". Other than that you're simply stating that Atheists are ignorant or stupid. Please realize that most Atheist were religious at some point. It is the failings of religion that caused most of us to seek answers elsewhere. Taking into account that most Atheists have considered or have been religious at some point and most Theists have never cognizantly considered Atheism it seems that the logical generalization is that Theists don't realize what their missing. You, excluded, of course considering your history. (Raithere, 6.30.02, 00.48 PDT)

Why don't we break that down .... • Please realize that most Atheist were religious at some point. Of course. I wouldn't forget that. But for that to have any significant impact, it would syllogistically suggest a broader awareness of diverse religions in people that is observable. The underlying counterpoint is simple: Joe the Christian decides, as the result of certain ideas, that God doesn't exist. Joe is convinced because all evidence tells him that the Bible was inaccurate, wrong, or whatever. Since Joe has decided that God doesn't exist, he is automatically an authority on diverse religions? There are atheists who do make a point of learning about the religious social phenomenon, since that aspect of faith can directly affect them. But by and large most of what we hear atheists rejecting are ideas of God that many theists have already cast off. (Tiassa, 6.30.02, 18.35 PDT)

This is simply not true. Maybe in an isolated setting such as the USA, I don't know. But certainly not here. (Adam, 7.02.02, 1.20 PDT)

Okay, the simple-enough questions at hand:

For my benefit: Adam, what purpose does it serve you, when you dislike information included in the debate, to consistently address my posts to form the basis of your objection when it is, in fact, other posters who raise the point? This is, in fact, the second time in recent weeks you have done this to me, and I'm truly wondering why you focus on me so greatly.

Comparative: I find a great deal of irony that someone in Australia would use the phrase "isolated setting" to refer to the USA while ignoring examinations of South America and Europe, at least, though I understand that the terminology gets harder when dealing with Asian cultures, and few if any of us have met post-Islamic atheists. Are there any atheists in Africa whatsoever? I have no clue. But if we're going to stick with Australia/USA comparisons, I find the argument of "isolated setting such as the USA" to be quite ironic coming from an Aussie.

Natural state: I love selective recognition. Theism--especially superstition--develops as part of our thought process. I might ask if you've forgotten, Adam, that we also do not walk at birth, and that we need to be "told" to breathe upon our arrival?

• Topic question: It would seem that a certain argumentative point is back to square one; that is, Raithere called me out on the following point: "Now, to revisit an old assertion of mine: I've said before that it's possible that atheists don't understand the magnitude of what they're rejecting." In that response, Raithere pointed out that most atheists are former theists, which would indicate a severe fault in my assertion. While I do appreciate Raithere's position, and have tried to consider it in response, I'm curious: Where does Adam's counter-assertion leave that point of the debate?

I mean, Adam has cut the legs out from Raithere's counterpoint, but I can no more permit my debate with Raithere to continue without at least examining the impact of this position than I can presume the response to the counter-assertion.

But, in the spirit of the topic, we do have a possible downside to atheism that is still standing.

• If atheists do not understand what they are rejecting, this can become very problematic. The atheist tends to get stuck in a cycle, such as constant identification against a deity already disproven. It can lead, then, to the whipping of a dead horse, and to the reinforcement of the ideas which atheism identifies against. If atheism was a life calling, I'd say it was an act to ensure job security. And there is the aspect of a rash decision; that is, to reject something before it is understood is to forsake any qualities that might redeem it. Very problematic indeed.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

TheChosen, you're an lost cause. I'll give it one last shot.

TheChosen, I know you have certain troubles with logic and rationalisation, so I'll go over it once again.

The originator made an assertion, with no proof. It's that simple. It is up to the originator to supply proof. A statement such as that is false or true. It only becomes true when supported by evidence, which has not been supplied. Therefore it is false.

Re: A few issues concerning this latest change in direction

Originally posted by tiassa
• If atheists do not understand what they are rejecting, this can become very problematic. The atheist tends to get stuck in a cycle, such as constant identification against a deity already disproven. It can lead, then, to the whipping of a dead horse, and to the reinforcement of the ideas which atheism identifies against. If atheism was a life calling, I'd say it was an act to ensure job security. And there is the aspect of a rash decision; that is, to reject something before it is understood is to forsake any qualities that might redeem it. Very problematic indeed.

thanx,

I couldn't have said that any better Tiassa. You are correct, I already reject most interpretations of God (deity). But if an atheist rejects what is already rejected and base their doctrine on it, it is a problem.

TheChosen, you're an lost cause. I'll give it one last shot.

You are the lost cause Adam. I asked you to prove what you asserted and you, as usual, ignore it.

The originator made an assertion, with no proof. It's that simple. It is up to the originator to supply proof. A statement such as that is false or true. It only becomes true when supported by evidence, which has not been supplied. Therefore it is false.

I don't care about the originator. I am asking Y-O-U not the originator to prove. Do you understand? I certainly hope so. Don't encumber responsibility of proving onto the originator.

Can you prove your statement or not? Statistics maybe? or just your opinion. Someone mentioning "absolutely false" must know with concrete proof, and I want to see this proof.

Okay, how out of hand is this?

Adam & The Chosen

Alright ... umm ... The Chosen ... actually ... I'm going to guess that by the end of this you know what advice I would throw your way.

Because, to be honest, tomorrow it gets interesting. I promise. Well, I hope. (Watch this ... here comes the tricky part ;) )

• • • • •

Adam ... Might I respectfully suggest that if it is that important to you that the originator of the assertion offer proof to back that assertion, you ought to wait for the originator to return to the forum?

Don't worry. Raithere will be around at some point. In the meantime, twenty posts will bury the problem out of sight.

thanx much,

Oh loquacious Tiassa, just having fun.

Adam & The Chosen

Alright ... umm ... The Chosen ... actually ... I'm going to guess that by the end of this you know what advice I would throw your way.

thanx much,

Sure, hopefully, Raithere would prove and show Adam not to claim somthing to be "absolutely false" without bearing any evidence.

Since Adam obviously backed out. But he can gladly become rapturous in being right when he proves to me that he did not, in fact, back out and prove.

Something yet so simple, he cannot carry out. I'm waiting to be proven wrong...:cool:

So, let's hear it. What is bad about atheism, if anything? Please don't say "You're gonna burn in hell!" Give me some rational responses.

I think anti-theism (popularly known by the happy-go-lucky, albeit innacurate title "atheism") is often used to justify terrible attrocities. Let me explain.

To the anti-theist, humans are simply animals. Perhaps at the top of the food chain, perhaps not. Compassion is not one of animals strongest attributes. Sure they can show what seems like compassion. Look at the kitty rubbing his master's face. How precious. But that same kitty will later be ripping the living guts out of a mouse for a mixture of purpose and what seems like pleasure.

Ergo humans also can kill or destroy what they think they must with no regard to anything other than society or one's individual desire. Not just killing animals for food. But killing other humans (other animals to atheists) for the betterment of society. This justification has been used in history for genocide.

That is the main problem with anti-theism.

As for the arm-chair "atheist". Mostly they just gain-say whatever a believer says. They are habitual contrarians who find delight in rejecting whatever they refuse to understand.

Your pal,

-Mike

I think anti-theism (popularly known by the happy-go-lucky, albeit innacurate title "atheism") is often used to justify terrible attrocities.

Um, let's see here. Anti theists who center around hating a particular religion...yes. I would agree. But atheists? No, I would not agree with you there. Let's see your reasoning here.

To the anti-theist, humans are simply animals. Perhaps at the top of the food chain, perhaps not.

I would say humans are very intelligent, complex animals. Is that an atrocity?

Compassion is not one of animals strongest attributes. Sure they can show what seems like compassion. Look at the kitty rubbing his master's face. How precious.

Kitty is indeed cute. And precious. But what is it about the kitty (besides the obvious gap in intelligence) that makes it fundamentally inferior to us humans? And what would you do if aliens from different planets came? Woudl you classify them as "animals" since they are not humans, or would you think otherwise?

But that same kitty will later be ripping the living guts out of a mouse for a mixture of purpose and what seems like pleasure.

Not to mention the humans who keep them there to get mice? Whats up with that?

Ergo humans also can kill or destroy what they think they must with no regard to anything other than society or one's individual desire. Not just killing animals for food. But killing other humans (other animals to atheists) for the betterment of society. This justification has been used in history for genocide.

So you are agreeing with Hitler's genocide???? I'm confused here.
More later.

digression

Granted I should have used a modifier such as "In my experience" as I'm not citing any scientific study. Still, I believe that based upon the premise that most of the people in the world are Theists I'm most likely correct. Still, I'm happy to change the assertion to "Many Atheists were Theists" which I don't believe detracts much from my argument.

However, I disagree with the assertion you made; "It only becomes true when supported by evidence, which has not been supplied. Therefore it is false." Without evidence, or a demonstrated lack of evidence, a statement is neither true nor false but is in an indeterminate state.

In all, I find this whole track to be a digression from the point, Adam, as the statement was simply pointing out an error in the assertion that Atheists do not know what it is they're rejecting.

Tiassa, I'll get to your previous post as soon as I am able to take the time for it. However, this single point was hardly critical to my argument. Reconsider it in the modified form; "Many Atheists were Theists." But even if no Atheists had ever been Theists it would be incorrect to assume that they do not understand what they are rejecting. Of course there is also the counterpoint that God, by your definition, is unknowable and therefore, Theists do not know what it is they are accepting. In light of which this particular argument becomes rather meaningless as you're comparing ignorance to ignorance.

~Raithere

Re: Raithere

The idea of God, for instance, provides people with a justification for morality.

Exactly. What I've often noted in Theists and Atheists alike is that people gravitate towards the paradigm that fits their predetermined morality and personality. Morality is determined on a subjective level and then outside assent and justification is sought. In the case of the Theists this process is simplified, they simply seek out a religion that fits their own preconceptions. If none is available they will invent their own interpretations. This is most obviously evinced in the proliferation of Christian denominations as the morality of the early RC Church becomes more and more disparate from modern cultural mores.

Atheism alone cannot provide this

Agreed: Just as Theism alone cannot provide this without an accompanying religious doctrine.

it must be accompanied by another philosophy in order to begin to replace what the god-concept provides

Again, the "God concept" provides nothing but justification. As there is no proof that any religion has the "true word of God" unsullied by human interference the morality itself is suspect. Even assuming God does exist you'd have to demonstrate that the moral precepts of the religions are truly and accurately attributable to God. Care to demonstrate this?

the most part of believers and, incidentally, the greatest portion of the idiotic believers we all, atheist or theist, need to reorient toward something more positive.

I agree.

But by and large most of what we hear atheists rejecting are ideas of God that many theists have already cast off.

Unfortunately, this often seems to be the case. However, many of the arguments that work against the Christian God work against many of the other conceptions of God. I would also point out that this discussion board is not a random sampling from which you can accurately base a realistic projection upon.

While I do know of atheists joining churches to find out what they say, I don't know of any, for instance, post-Christian atheists who have spent any amount of time giving other religions honest consideration.

That might be an interesting poll to take. Personally, I make an honest attempt to give every proposition respectful consideration. Of course, after a time my consideration may already be well formed and quickly rationed out. But anything new I take the time to consider properly.

That is, the doctrinal explanation of a religion tells us much, the experiential qualities of those religions give different value to the doctrinal explanations.

I agree. This is why, why I want an explanation of an experience I look towards someone who has experienced it. I don't ask the Roman Catholic about Buddhism, I ask the Buddhist. If I can and I'm so inclined I may check it out personally. I have in quite a number of cases.

But silly, self-centered me thinks that the advancement of the collective is the self-evident purpose of things, so in order to stand on the logical conclusion that right and wrong tend toward the benefit and detriment of the community (e.g. town, nation, species) I must at some point put my foot down.

That's fine. I find that basis for morality to be largely acceptable. I just wouldn't try to assert that it was mandated by God. I'd find other rationales.

It is only after God ceases to have any stake whatsoever that it can be viewed objectively.

I disagree. One can learn to view anything objectively. It's a process not dissimilar to meditation.

That means accepting that something called God is.

Are you suggesting that one needs to accept actuality in order to consider the concept? If not, what is it that you mean because that’s what this sounds like.

Would you have me pretend that atheism uniformly results in sunshine and friggin' rainbows?

Not at all. The process, for me, was sometimes difficult. But I find the payoff to be worthwhile.

Now, what happens when that most fortunate wife left with the kids to care for has no value on paper and no marketable skills? To simply leave it as atheism equalling liberation is deceptive.

Sticking with this as an analogy: She will have to develop such skills. Preferably she will have built up some of these skills before leaving… in fact she probably has marketable skills but it's the Husbands influence that make her think she doesn't, that she's "worthless, evil, and stupid". But the process will probably be quite difficult and possibly emotionally painful at time. She'll wonder at times why she left. But ultimately she can succeed and her position will be much better than she was with the abusive husband. Or should she just stick around and get beaten because it's easier or because he says he "loves" her?

accidentally making an ass of oneself

Has nothing to do with Theism or Atheism, it's the human condition.

Shall I pretend that automatically she's capable of providing for herself? There still exist in our cities many women who live as victims of abuse because they either believe themselves or actually are unable to provide a living for themselves without resorting to prostitution.

So you think it's preferable that the women stick around to be abused and denigrated?

As you pointed out, non-theistic philosophies are available for consideration by the atheist. Atheism itself is not those non-theistic philosophies. Those non-theistic philosophies are required in order to fill the void left by the atheistic position, especially when we consider that many atheists are former theists.

Agreed.

~Raithere

Ekimklaw,

Your post seems to indicate you are an anti-atheist, an atheist hater. I hope you realize such attitudes have resulted in the persecution and murder by Christians of many innocent people over the past centuries. I can’t believe you want to be linked with such atrocities. But you also continue to demonstrate a considerable lack of understanding of atheism. I do strongly and politely suggest you read something about atheism that isn’t Christian propaganda. Your view is very inaccurate and distorted.

Your post really doesn’t have any value since it is based on serious errors of perception and understanding. The basic flaw in your initial statement really means the remainder of your argument here is invalid. Trying to compare the “intellect and the ability to reason” by humans to any other species is a dead end. But I’ll make a couple of points.

To the anti-theist, humans are simply animals.
Simply animals? This is very transparent Christian propaganda again - trying to make out that anti-theists see humans as something less than they are. Animals have no intellect and little intelligence, as I am sure you must be aware? Some study of evolution will help you understand how humans evolved and progressed from animals. Sorry, but that sounded condescending and isn’t intended to be so.

That is the main problem with anti-theism.
I think you are just gesturing for fun as I don’t think any intelligent and rational person could ever reach that somewhat bizarre conclusion.

As for the arm-chair "atheist". Mostly they just gain-say whatever a believer says. They are habitual contrarians who find delight in rejecting whatever they refuse to understand.
Please please try at least reading something independent about atheism. Otherwise your arguments in this style will continue to look rather foolish.

Cris

Last edited:
Raithere

What I've often noted in Theists and Atheists alike is that people gravitate towards the paradigm that fits their predetermined morality and personality.
My turn to be nitpickety: Predetermined by what? Biology? Environmental factors? Psychological factors? Understand, I'm not suggesting predetermination by God except by the most vague interpretations, and that interpretation is dependent merely through the God/Universe juxtaposition, at which point God is indeed unnecessary. Hence, biology? Environmental factors? Psychological factors? I'm all ears on this one.
Morality is determined on a subjective level and then outside assent and justification is sought. In the case of the Theists this process is simplified, they simply seek out a religion that fits their own preconceptions.
Ah, if I am patient, I see I am answered, indeed. Biology. Environmental and psychological factors. Reality. As to theists specifically, I don't think you have quite the grounds to stand on. (You do, in fact, make the point for me in just a moment.) But while I agree that religions are, by and large, very simplistic representations of perception, assimilation, and justification, I'm not sure that any other philosophical template that one might employ, be it Christianity, humanism, Sisyphanism, Existentialism proper, ad infinitum--these are, similarly, compressions of the whole reality.
If none is available they will invent their own interpretations.
Are you still speaking of theism specifically, or people in general? With the latter, I agree.
This is most obviously evinced in the proliferation of Christian denominations as the morality of the early RC Church becomes more and more disparate from modern cultural mores.
I agree. If I might counterpoint, just for fun: It is also quite clear in any examination of the current phenomenon known as Scientology. Check out Satanism. The New Age? It's not so much any one religion made to order, but with so many facets, there's bound to be one available. But there are even churches popping up here and there which appeal to people's senses of humor; custom-built theological irreverence? We can remove theism from the equation and look at politics. Sure, X% of the US population supports the war effort, but how much of the information upon which people base their judgments is properly information and not superstition or falsehood? How much of what they perceive is simplified by the necessities of paradigms which have nothing whatsoever to do with God? Economy? Government (George Bush's silver foot notwithstanding)?

And here, just for the heck of it, I think of the Sufis, who ask, Is the best we have the best that we can do? That is, are the factors which determine my best morality truly the best factors I can employ? Is the weight I give moral factors to achieve my best moral result really as accurate as they can be?
Just as Theism alone cannot provide this without an accompanying religious doctrine.
Thank you.

(Remember I said you'd be making the point for me? That was the one I was talking about.)
Again, the "God concept" provides nothing but justification.
To a certain degree, it doesn't have to. That is, to the degree that religions provide rhetorical justifications, no. But to look again at the Sufis: a divine power (whatever that may turn out to be), a purpose in life (the human endeavor is not pointless), and certain opportunities for humankind (to, oh, say, improve its quality of existence and thereby secure the species). At that point, what doesn't provide justification? I mean, there's atheism as a stand-alone, without any accompanying life philosophy, but at that point one risks voiding the idea of the self. Well enough, but humanity does seem to be better off recognizing the self.
As there is no proof that any religion has the "true word of God" unsullied by human interference the morality itself is suspect
I agree. And?
Unfortunately, this often seems to be the case. However, many of the arguments that work against the Christian God work against many of the other conceptions of God. I would also point out that this discussion board is not a random sampling from which you can accurately base a realistic projection upon.
One of my basic complaints about atheism as it is represented at this board is only peripherally related to its Judeo-Christian anti-identity. I well understand the focus, though I don't understand the translation of this Christian God to the others; just because one thinks they've disproven "God" after having tackled one of the most ridiculously simplistic notions of God ever invented does not mean they actually have. Beyond that particular complaint, I hear what you're getting after. But in many of these cases, it's not quite as important to the authority of the religion that the stories be true. All across modern paganism, for instance, is a sense of religious symbolism. While the various deities might have been given a more literal anthropomorphism, in Irish history, for instance, we see a sense of that symbolism. I was reading today a friend's copy of Caitlan and John Matthews' Encyclopedia of Celtic Wisdom and came across a section on (and I forget the word for them) "place-name stories". The tales of how a place in Ireland got its name are often diverse, but strangely lend toward common themes for each place. To prove, for instance, any or all of the stories attached to a place inaccurate does not matter as much because the principle invoked by the stories is commemorated through them. Amairgin White-Knee, for instance, promised Lady Eire, atop a mountain, to name the land in her honor. though another version of the story says it was Fotla (which is interesting because at a certain moment of a lack of faith, Eire raises an army against the Milesians, but Amairgin breaks the enchantment whereupon the Milesians see that the monsters are merely sod of the earth; in the copy of the story I was reading, Fotla was seemingly associated with the earth--that is, the ground, the soil itself). The larger point being that with some of those other gods, you may be fighting an unnecessary fight. You may be able to prove that Eire didn't raise an army of monsters out of sod, but who cares? There's a tendency of wells and springs to erupt in response to wrongdoing in Irish mythology. Nobody will ever prove the connection between the wrongdoing and the natural event, but ... so what? It's not like Christianity, for instance, where it matters that the story is true or not. Since it's all a representation of an ineffable idea, it doesn't matter whether the story is literally true or not. And yes there are some Wiccans out there who would probably like to have a word or two with me, but we'll see, we'll see.

As to the random sampling idea, I agree and disagree. Specifically, it amazes me how ... um ... predictable ... people can be sometimes. I mean, understand, please, I put up with T1 for months before I got into that war of words with KB, and I had a couple of other nasty exchanges in there at the same time; all of that was typical and expected. There were one or two Christian posters who broke that particular mold, but one of them eventually had a point where the foot had to be put down. I wish the other had stayed longer. But who hasn't seen me criticizing even our most eloquent Christian advocates for being typical in this or that way? No, I don't see a demographic balance represented here whatsoever, but our forum is microcosmic of a certain argument that plays out on a grand scale in the US, at least.
Personally, I make an honest attempt to give every proposition respectful consideration.
Well, there's part of the problem. Involved in that is sort of the impossible, and that's part of the point. It's not something to be held against anyone because there's just no way to pull it off. I've tried, to a limited extent and didn't manage it. But that impossible thing ... well, consider those former theists who become atheists. Now, did Bob go from Baptist to Lutheran to Quaker to atheist? Or did he go from Baptist to LDS to some reactionary paganism to Buddhism to atheism? Like me: I was confirmed as a Lutheran at 13, and would attend a Catholic high school. My first alternate religion was Satanism; after that I muddled around with poetic-magical ideas until I came across witchcraft, which I left aside for a delving into various sorceries, among which was Qabalism. See the pattern? What's missing? I know very little about Hindu, only a smattering of Islam, and have only the slightest genuine exposure to Buddhism. I do, in fact, intend to spend a period of my life with Eastern philosophical and religious concepts as the primary influence. Specifically, I intend to delve into Buddhism at some point, but to start where I have friends--an associate of mine spent some time looking into Tibetan Buddhism; he recently visited a monastery with the intent of spending some time there, and I think it has something to do with why he says, "Who, me? I'm not Buddhist."

Crowley, one of my primary Western influences, was very aware of the Sufis, the Hindus, the Buddhists, and a number of other Eastern religions. I Ching and Tao and so forth make their way through part of his tarot philosophy, as well as Egyptian mythology, Qabalism, and some form of astrology or another that may or may not have been Persian. It took, for instance, Steven Brust novels, the accompanying soundtrack CD to one of those novels (The Gypsy, by Brust & Megan Lindholm), and a documentary movie about modern Gypsies to shake me out of Western music. I now actually prefer Balkan, Gypsy, and other types of music to most of contemporary pop or rock and roll, and I must admit that I first heard of the Sufis from Mr Brust and Ms Lindholm.

But no matter what attention I give Sufism, Buddhism, Balkan fiddling, or otherwise, it will never quite equal the portion of my life that God could equal under Christian influence; in getting to where I could understand that they existed at all, I destroyed all possibility of ever letting an idea possess me like as Christianity did ever again. And in that, I can never quite experience even the paganism I keep closest to me at that same level, and can never give it the same kind of consideration.

So at the point that honest consideration fails ... well, so what? But in terms of what atheists are rejecting, and the awareness thereof, atheism does hack out a certain amount of possible experience. Where certain honest consideration fails is much more local to the focus. In terms of atheism as a personal choice, this range was far too narrow for my needs.
I agree. This is why, why I want an explanation of an experience I look towards someone who has experienced it. I don't ask the Roman Catholic about Buddhism, I ask the Buddhist. If I can and I'm so inclined I may check it out personally. I have in quite a number of cases.
And you, as I, will experience a certain limit to which your sympathies will embrace the philosophy.
I just wouldn't try to assert that it was mandated by God.
Why would I assert that? What does that have to do with anything? We learn more about God by looking at morality than we learn about morality by looking at God. Stop looking at it backwards. Really, it makes it easier if you don't look at it backwards.
I disagree. One can learn to view anything objectively. It's a process not dissimilar to meditation.
I'm not sure that's disagreement.
Are you suggesting that one needs to accept actuality in order to consider the concept? If not, what is it that you mean because that’s what this sounds like.
One does not have to believe in their heart or mind that God is real before one can consider God. But one does need to stop rejecting God for a moment in order to give the notion honest consideration. For example:

God is. Bullsh@t

Or ...

• God is. Now what the f@ck does that mean?

It's a simple leap.
Not at all. The process, for me, was sometimes difficult. But I find the payoff to be worthwhile.
And you wonder why ... oh, never mind.
She will have to develop such skills.
And how is that done?
Preferably she will have built up some of these skills before leaving… in fact she probably has marketable skills but it's the Husbands influence that make her think she doesn't, that she's "worthless, evil, and stupid". But the process will probably be quite difficult and possibly emotionally painful at time. She'll wonder at times why she left. But ultimately she can succeed and her position will be much better than she was with the abusive husband. Or should she just stick around and get beaten because it's easier or because he says he "loves" her?
I'm with you most of the way. Of course, an anecdote from my life that I generally reserve for discussions of drug policy, where the story actually has some statistical backing. In college, my girfriend's mom's best friend (got that?) often came by the folks' place and hung out for dinner, a drink, and to smoke a joint or two and explain the latest atrocity. Specifically, her husband. He was a freak. I mean, he'd been through a bunch of rehabs: alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamine, nicotine, gambling, sex dependency, anger management--he gambled the car away once. But for all of his apologies and rehabilitation programs, not a single one ever aimed toward finding out what the hell made him so unhappy that he had to drink, snort, gamble, and f@ck that much to begin with?

In terms of the analogy, it might be possible to discover the root of the discord and thus change the nature of the relationship. Many people, both in marriages and in their relationships with god and religion, have pulled that off.
Has nothing to do with Theism or Atheism, it's the human condition
So perhaps it isn't the religion or the god that needs changing but the human condition and how people choose to relate to their superstitions, fears, ignorances, myths, psyches, and so forth? I'm there. With a drink in my hand and a joint in my mouth and ready to go all night, I'm there.
So you think it's preferable that the women stick around to be abused and denigrated?
How's that? Marriage or prostitution?
Right. So, what's the problem, then?

thanx,

Re: Raithere

My turn to be nitpickety: Predetermined by what? Biology? Environmental factors? Psychological factors?
Ah, if I am patient, I see I am answered, indeed. Biology. Environmental and psychological factors. Reality.

Predetermined by the individual. Of course there are many factors involved, some of which are often buried deep in the subconscious. Often much of the individual’s ethics are supplied by religion through their parents and early religious education, thus a cycle of belief occurs (all institutionalized ideologies depend on this type of induction). But any rational, thinking, adult must ultimately take responsibility for their own code of ethics or that to which they adhere. My point is that people rarely bend themselves to an extraneous code but find a code that fits what they already believe.

these are, similarly, compressions of the whole reality.

Agreed. But I still feel that the Theists take the easy way out much of the time. Attributing the validity of their beliefs to the authority of God they are able to escape a direct analysis of the belief itself. This is not to say that all Theists do so or that all religious beliefs lack rational argument. Nor am I saying that all Atheists have rational justification for all their beliefs. But analysis of Theistic belief is quite often bypassed and the argument falls to one regarding God, authority, or interpretation while Atheistic beliefs tend to be addressed more directly. A telling question to ask Theists is, “If I were able to prove that God did not exist would you still believe in ___? (Insert a particular belief here, for instance; “in the soul or spirit”)?”

Inherent in this system is a power structure, a hierarchy of authority, which is prone to manipulation and abuse. For instance, note the incredible number of Roman Catholics who believe in the infallibility of the Pope and Church. This is despite thousands of years of stated beliefs being proved wrong. Yet many members continue to believe it inviolate due to the authority of God.

We can remove theism from the equation and look at politics. … How much of what they perceive is simplified by the necessities of paradigms which have nothing whatsoever to do with God? Economy? Government?

Agreed. I find similar weaknesses in most political and business structures as well.

I well understand the focus, though I don't understand the translation of this Christian God to the others; just because one thinks they've disproven "God" after having tackled one of the most ridiculously simplistic notions of God ever invented does not mean they actually have.

I agree; there are conceptions that are due much more attention. However, I do see the situation here in the USA with it’s predominating Christian factions to be critical and deserving of such focus.

Beyond that particular complaint, I hear what you're getting after. But in many of these cases, it's not quite as important to the authority of the religion that the stories be true.

I would argue that this is an uncommon perspective for a religious person to take regarding the entirety of their beliefs. More often, in my experience, the religious person takes certain aspects as literal truth, reducing only that which they do not agree with literally as symbolic. Few, are those who regard the entirety as symbolic and there is a vociferous faction that would claim to literalism in all aspects.

Specifically, it amazes me how ... um ... predictable ... people can be sometimes.

I am often amazed as well, particularly by how people with disparate beliefs often act almost identically.

No, I don't see a demographic balance represented here whatsoever, but our forum is microcosmic of a certain argument that plays out on a grand scale in the US, at least.

Agreed. And while I agree that, philosophically, we need to address larger questions I also feel, as I already mentioned, that the situation in the US is critical.

in getting to where I could understand that they existed at all, I destroyed all possibility of ever letting an idea possess me like as Christianity did ever again. And in that, I can never quite experience even the paganism I keep closest to me at that same level, and can never give it the same kind of consideration.

Agreed. To paraphrase: “Man’s mind, once stretched to a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

But in terms of what atheists are rejecting, and the awareness thereof, atheism does hack out a certain amount of possible experience. Where certain honest consideration fails is much more local to the focus. In terms of atheism as a personal choice, this range was far too narrow for my needs.

As far as you have explained it, I would concur. I, however, and many others have had drastically different experiences with Atheism. The problems, however, sounded like there were due more to the attending philosophy than to Atheism.

But one does need to stop rejecting God for a moment in order to give the notion honest consideration.

Of course. Honest consideration cannot be made while holding an opinion about the subject one must let go of one’s preconceptions, at least for the moment.

And how is that done?

How does one learn anything?

In terms of the analogy, it might be possible to discover the root of the discord and thus change the nature of the relationship.

It might be but consider the abuse that will occur in the mean time. Also consider that the husband must be willing, many are not.

So perhaps it isn't the religion or the god that needs changing but the human condition and how people choose to relate to their superstitions, fears, ignorances, myths, psyches, and so forth? I'm there. With a drink in my hand and a joint in my mouth and ready to go all night, I'm there.

Sounds good, I’m there too.

Right. So, what's the problem, then?

Actually, I think we pretty much resolve the initial disagreement some time ago.

~Raithere

Raithere

Predetermined by the individual.
Well enough.
But I still feel that the Theists take the easy way out much of the time.
As compared to ... atheists? Or to others beyond that?
Attributing the validity of their beliefs to the authority of God they are able to escape a direct analysis of the belief itself.
Such as the wrongness of murder and rape. I agree.

But show me any generalized template for living that doesn't do that.
Nor am I saying that all Atheists have rational justification for all their beliefs.
Beyond atheism itself, which is rational according to the confines of our knowledge, very few justifications for beliefs are truly rational.
But analysis of Theistic belief is quite often bypassed and the argument falls to one regarding God, authority, or interpretation while Atheistic beliefs tend to be addressed more directly
What is the difference between:

• Murder is wrong because "God" says so.

... and ...

• Murder is wrong because ... well, because ... um ... because it just is wrong.

(???)
A telling question to ask Theists is, “If I were able to prove that God did not exist would you still believe in ___? (Insert a particular belief here, for instance; “in the soul or spirit”)?”
I think even more functionally demonstrative would be, If ... God did not exist would you still believe that _____? (Insert moral conclusion, e.g. murder is wrong, stealing is bad°, &c.)
Inherent in this system is a power structure, a hierarchy of authority, which is prone to manipulation and abuse. For instance, note the incredible number of Roman Catholics who believe in the infallibility of the Pope and Church.
And if you think a discussion of that concept can stay purely in religious sources, you're off base. The old connection between God and the power structure is much similar to the connection between economy and the power structure in the modern day. I encourage atheists who worry about power structures to watch the parallels 'twixt religion and government. As for foundations, each is similarly foolish.
This is despite thousands of years of stated beliefs being proved wrong. Yet many members continue to believe it inviolate due to the authority of God.
This depends, actually, on what specifically has been proved wrong. Though I tend to agree with you about Catholics, we must recognize that it does depend on what specifically has been proved wrong.

There are, however, religions out there which do not involve such power structures. The first place any witch looking for a waer-loga might seek is at the top of any coven's power structure; there shoudn't be much of a power structure beyond the fact that "somebody has to lead the ritual this week". The presence of a power structure among the adherents indicates a certain sickness at the core. Or, to move more broadly, would it surprise you that I'm thinking of the Sufis again as well? While there exists a structure of authority during training and preparation, and while some heirarchy may or may not be respected when many Sufis gather (this is a gray zone as we cross the line from respect to sycophantism, as the latter clouds one's objectivity), there is no prescribed power structure. Sufism, unlike Catholicism, never experienced a period when people in general looked to it for governance, and thus never entered that stake of being a governing body. Such a condition would be considered an accretion, and a very negative one.
Agreed. I find similar weaknesses in most political and business structures as well
And this is, in part, why religion gets a few free passes out of me. I give them out to other, equally ill-conceived ideas in faith that the people who say it's for the human benefit can explain and make real that condition. It is easy enough from this point to rule out the charlatans, e.g. waer-loga, the most apparent forms of Christianity, and so forth.
I agree; there are conceptions that are due much more attention. However, I do see the situation here in the USA with it’s predominating Christian factions to be critical and deserving of such focus.
I've found, in terms of Christianity and the USA, that the more I learn to sympathetically view Christian behavior, the more I understand why these people are so whacked.

To constantly press the attack, then, merely freezes the issues that are being fought over, and the numbers are called to the fight. You ever see a Christian defending a point that you know s/he would not accept anywhere else, but because another Christian has f--ked up and brought this point to scrutiny, the faithful rally blindly? An example: A few years ago, here in Seattle, a minister got into some sort of trouble when a newspaper uncovered evidence of (A) his arrest at DisneyWorld for indecently exposing himself to a little boy, and (B) a coverup effort by law enforcement sympathetic to his credibility as a pastor. When the story broke, the flock was furious. They rallied to his cause; how dare you invade his privacy over unsubstantiated rumors, the press ought to be ashamed of itself. Smear tactics, smear tactics. Why, oh, why, do they hate us Christians so? Lamentations, lamentations .... Turned out it was true. The guy did expose himself to a little boy and the local law enforcement did try to cover up his arrest. In the end, hundreds of Christians threw their support behind the privacy of a child-molester because it was more important to support the Christian cause.

Now, you and I both know that these supporters do not advocate child molestation per se. However, someone got a snapshot of an ethic in motion, held it up as a banner, and the flocks tromped to the field. It does, in fact, maintain the division between people to continually isolate aspects and call people to arms over them. Those isolated concepts become incomplete, and people will defend them in what seems like a nonsensical manner because the nonsense-aspect comes from the perception of an interrelationship that the attacker does not seem to understand exists.
I would argue that this is an uncommon perspective for a religious person to take regarding the entirety of their beliefs
I'll grant you that in a Abramic-dominated statistical base.
More often, in my experience, the religious person takes certain aspects as literal truth, reducing only that which they do not agree with literally as symbolic
This is a reaction to the statistical domination of ideas. It is also a reaction to having a political stake. People who learned the idea of "godless commies" in the 1950s will have considerably different associations to the notion of God (and to the idea of government) than someone who learned the idea of "god's children" in the 70's and 80's. Furthermore, to what degree the transformation is an inclusive idea° as opposed to a dominion paradigm° varied greatly from church to church--the variations especially being a "human issue" and not a "religious issue".

This is, in part, why it's important (to me, at least) to chase after that "ancient core" spoken and written of by the Sufis. As I go from Christian to Christian, the psychological associations awarded to the idea of God change within the confines of the template. And when we stop and consider that, in order to make the Bible make sense in any way as the "word of God" it has to be taken so mythically and so interpretively as to be, as it has been said of that god, "Greater than that which we can conceive," well ...? Specifically, the two ideas are the reason for each other. Diversity exists because of experiential associations of the faithful person's psychology, yet part of those experiential associations are dependent on diversity.
Few, are those who regard the entirety as symbolic and there is a vociferous faction that would claim to literalism in all aspects.
That vociferous faction is largely the least educated echelon of a religion whose recruitment policy is to target primarily the least-educated, most desperate in society. It's a little bit like giving a bunch of five year-olds loaded guns and saying, "Okay, kids ... go play." (Bang-bang, you're dead; did not, did too! ;) )

But, in the case of how to "stop" this vociferous faction we must realize that engaging them on a combative level will concretize the principles at stake, fix them, freeze them, and reduce considerations of God to such narrow necessities, and creating a series of associations which reinforce the idea that what the vociferous faction argues is, in fact, legitimately of God.

Try this notion: Everybody's honest. Not everybody knows it.

Specifically, not everybody realizes how honest they are. Their true colors shine through almost any veneer if you just deal accept the façade.

Take a look at how many atheists, while they would never consciously claim to be in it only for themselves (and some who would) never get past the "me" stage of their religious considerations and thus object to obscure or accreted ideas which don't really have to do with the larger considerations. Or, more simply, look at how many atheists deny the higher functions of theistic thought while lamenting the simplicity of theistic thought. If they get past the "me" stage, where everything is compared so directly to the self, complete with overwhelming moral weight, it can only help.

Seriously, whether it's the ballot box, the confessional, or the hidden diary, what is the measure of the value of an idea considered therein: What does it get me? or What's wrong with this idea?°

Most people operate according to what an idea gets them. This is expected, both as a biological and as a social result. But at some point, the principle becomes problematic, such as we see in:

Business/Commerce: With WorldComm layofs expected to reach as high as 17,000, did anyone think of who gets hurt when spiking the books to their personal advantages?
Religion: People believed that X conditions earned or entitled them to heaven (or some such). If we take, for instance, Matthew 25.31-ff as our example, and apply that to certain kinds of atrocities in history, and then to modern situational ethics, a pattern might come clear. I urge you to read the passage according to What it gets/Who it hurts, and then apply that, to, say, accusing your neighbor of witchcraft (e.g. Inquisition, Salem Trials) or perhaps according to the psychological notion of Intervention such as we saw with alcoholics, drug users, people who liked sex, people abandoning Christianity, &c., in the 1980s.
Politics: Strange, eh, how the two prior points can be included here? But when one votes for a candidate because they promised a tax cut ... well, it works for Republicans, doesn't it? Oh, goody, a tax cut. And the government will do an even better job of fulfilling its duties than before. Does it really make sense? Or what about the person who votes for a candidate because they oppose abortion rights or religions not your own?

What I think is amazing about it is that, while people will openly acknowledge the problems of the What does it get me philosophy, they will often go forth with a problematic enactment of it while complaining about what everybody else wants for themselves.

You can throw that argument into race or gender politics, into just about anything. What people claim to want when justifying themselves or casting themeselves as benevolent is usually included in the Who does it hurt or What's wrong with the idea camp while their actions reflect the notion of What does it get me?
I am often amazed as well, particularly by how people with disparate beliefs often act almost identically.
Suggesting that it may be a common human problem mixed up among various, accreted digressions? Or, so I would suggest it suggests ....
Agreed. And while I agree that, philosophically, we need to address larger questions I also feel, as I already mentioned, that the situation in the US is critical.
Well, polarizing the situation isn't going to do a whole lot for the situation without some other action. If one chooses to fix the ideas in order to fight against them, that is all they're fighting against. Here's where issues of vocabulary come into play (and you did once ask; I gave you a partial answer).

When I accepted that there was no God, I found I could no longer communicate with people in my life to whom God was still a big deal; in one case this also involved lessening the theistic grip around the person's conscience in order to alleviate a mound of stress contributing to possible psychosis.

It was impossible to do without meeting ideas of God on an honest field. Whether the ideas of God would stay honest is its own question. But I could have lied to someone experiencing psychiatric problems. I could have just made something up, but while atheism got me virtually nothing I didn't have already, it took from me a certain ability to communicate with other human beings, and thus hurt other people because of the obligations one accepts for friends and family. In adopting atheism, I put myself in a situation where I could no longer communicate, or else communicate dishonestly. The latter would have been more damaging than the former.

Pointing out to a Christian, for instance, that they are wrong (or any number of words more harsh than that simple term) only puts it into that context of right/wrong, and Christians are quite fluent with dualities, in case you hadn't noticed ;). But to disagree with a Christian on the grounds that certain factors indicate that the interpretation they've offered may be incorrect or misguided--by shifting the weight of responsibility onto the ideas and not the person, one can communicate. An example: during the thick of the Gay Wars in Oregon, a Christian co-worker and I would occasionally discuss the issues. It was her opinion that what was "wrong" with gays was that something had hurt them, yadda-yadda-yadda, come back to God and make it better, Jesus weeps, hearts hurt, ad nauseam. The end result of it being that I convinced her to vote against the anti-gay measure because I was able to convince her that such a vote reflected a greater portion of God's will. That is, I could have laughed and told her how embarrassingly wrong she actually was, but it seemed more useful to take the factors she had put in front of me and arrange them in a sequence the logic of which she could not deny, and thereby show her a result different from the one she had presumed as God's will according to the most basic and childish pop-religion. Given that the equality faction was barely winning at the ballot box, it seemed the right thing to do; over times, margins built because the equality faction received much help from Christians who seemed to be struggling with that very process. Do you win, for instance, at someone else's expense? Or can you entice them to the winner's circle, as such, as well?
Agreed. To paraphrase: “Man’s mind, once stretched to a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes
To paraphrase Thomas Wolfe: You can't go home again.
As far as you have explained it, I would concur. I, however, and many others have had drastically different experiences with Atheism. The problems, however, sounded like there were due more to the attending philosophy than to Atheism.
True, I could have merely called it atheism and went on behaving as dishonestly as anyone else. But since I chose the logical root in such a basic and fundamental identification, the extraneous idea of integrity got in my way.

Damn those attendant ideas, eh? F--k integrity? I mean, there's no reason my worldview and therefore the basis of my conduct toward and among other people shouldn't have been completely arbitrary. If they don't understand it, f--k 'em.

Literally, sir, I tried everything short of that to find a way to make life conduct match life philosophy. It couldn't be done. The ideas--quite common here--that atheism was rational or logical (either one) are what poisoned it. It seemed rather quite ludicrous to deliberately identify against something so inherent to the way people in my corner of the Universe thought in order to go forth with an elective, jigsaw of ethics. I mean, fair is fair, right? But what about when it's not? Experientially, I found to start with a sense of purpose creates a better result than going forth with none. (Meaning/purpose of life arguments.)

We could put it this way: At some point I will most likely be raising a child. Can I justify morality in any way? No, not really. But I might as well shoot for consistency. It makes for a better result. A purely objective path leads to the brink of nihilism. On the one hand, I would hope to spare a child growing into an adult from this battle of conscience. To the other, I'm not sure it's avoidable.

What is the objective basis of right and wrong? Because I say so is perhaps even more foolish a place to stand than the presumption that there is, in fact, a true right and wrong. Because I say so is a result of the presence of the self, and therefore is a specific condition among life. To draw this separation 'twixt ourselves and the animals according to the objective observation that we have a higher thought process is nearly as foolish as using notions of divinity to justify human "superiority" over animals°.
Of course. Honest consideration cannot be made while holding an opinion about the subject one must let go of one’s preconceptions, at least for the moment.
In terms of the running did-not/did-too, do you really find that consideration present? I do not.

In the larger consideration, though, consider please the above portion on lexicon.
How does one learn anything?
A number of ways, but your meaning is, I think, well-received.

In terms of the analogy of the wife, we are presuming then that at the moment she leaves the husband, she is adequately skilled and prepared to undertake the demands of surviving in the world on her own. While many women are, in fact, capable in this sense, it seems quite foolish to rely on it as a generalization, especially in the analogy we're considering.

What is the boundary of the situation, for instance? On the one hand, to repair the situation can mean to fix the human associations. To the other, to fix the situation might be to reject them.

When I say that a situation might be repaired, I mean that the marriage might still be reconciled, the seed of unhappiness might be exposed, &c.

To simply presume from the get-go that the situation is irreconcilable on the level of human associations is a bit irresponsible in terms of the analogy we're considering.
It might be but consider the abuse that will occur in the mean time. Also consider that the husband must be willing, many are not.
Right. And either way, a solution will present itself. The analogy as you've presented it, however, gives the appearance of presuming one condition as uniform.

I well accept the analogy as you've presented it, but I am unable to presume that such is the only dimension of the analogy. It has other implications as well, such as those I've presented.
Sounds good, I’m there too.
Here, here ... I'll raise a Newcastle Brown to that.
Actually, I think we pretty much resolve the initial disagreement some time ago.
There's also the possibility that we've come so far from it that we're not going to wrap it up in this topic. However, merely recognizing that possibility is enough. I agree that it seems we've got certain common ground. If I pardon myself from trying to quantify it at this time, I hope you'll forgive me on that.

Notes:

° Stealing is bad: For instance, to establish that stealing is bad, one must establish the right of ownership or the condition of property. All of a sudden, a simple moral assertion gets huge real fast, eh?

° Inclusive idea: The idea that "we are all God's children" intended to cease disrespect based on religious ideas.

° Dominion paradigm: The idea that "we are all God's children" intended to undermine the claims of other religions and account for atheists (among other things).

° What does it get/What's wrong: In political arguments, I generally phrase the juxtaposition, What does it get me? versus Who does it hurt and how? In the political argument, to vote no on the school levy gets me a profit by reserving more of my own money for myself, as opposed to giving it to the schools. However, such a vote also hurts me (and many of my neighbors) by putting less educated people out in the world to either hold you up at knife/gunpoint (such as the examples go) or to be less prepared when flying your airplane or driving your bus or fireproofing the electrical system in your new house ....

° Superiority over animals: Come on, even I tend to think I'm doing better than a horse, who is doing better than the dog, who is doing better than the cat, who is doing better than the mouse .... The dolphins and whales might object; the elephants would have something to say if they had common language. And I'm told the mice might object, but that's purely an abstract notion. Nonetheless, watching sibling felines interact, there is a form of communication taking place which I cannot quantify. It is instantaneous, soundless, and can take place across disparate rooms visually separated. Whether this is a result of sonics above or beneath my perception, or of heat-related visual phenomena, I cannot say. But I'm also reasonably prepared for the notion that the animals have been talking to each other all along and wonder why we're silent except for our nonsensical braying. That is, I'm generally prepared for the notion that my cat wonders why I have nothing to say.

thanx,

Back