Is the earth expanding?

That region appears very broken up, because it is the location of multiple mantle extrusions that took place at different time and in different directions. These extrusions overprinted the west side of the old pacific lithosphere.

See a close up:

Philippines-extrusions.jpg

. . .Yeah . . . that's the way of geologic processes over geologic time . . . they (processes) build stuff up . . . then break stuff apart . . . such is the constant antagonism between heat and gravity!!

. . .Yeah . . . that's the way of geologic processes over geologic time . . . they (processes) build stuff up . . . then break stuff apart . . . such is the constant antagonism between heat and gravity!!
That region reminds me a log jam (of continental and ocean plate pieces, all jambed together . Which does suggest massive flow toward that location.

That region reminds me a log jam (of continental and ocean plate pieces, all jambed together . Which does suggest massive flow toward that location.
Yes, these extrusions are the results of massive mantle upwellings along the east asian margin. These upwellings emerge at the surface and spread. It's popping out everywhere in the area, eventually tearing apart the continental margin, and encroaching on the old pacific lithosphere (>120 My).

How do you get that isolated section of old ocean floor in the middle of the pacific? (latitude 10 - 20 degree North) :)

By eduction. See Yu Chudinov.
Does it consider decompression as a possible cause? I want to be educated on that aspect only. :)

http://www.geologynet.com/tectonics1.htm
"PLATE TECTONICS AND THE EXPANDING EARTH
The slow-expanding Earth theory of Creer (1965) and others is more plausible but lacks evidence. It does not suggest why the Earth would expand, why continental drift began so late in the Earth's history or where the energy source for expansion is derived from"......
Compression is the answer!

Last edited:
How supercontinents are born

In their "orthoversion model", after a supercontinent breaks up, the continents initially drift apart but become trapped within a north–south band of subduction – a relic of the previous supercontinent (on our present-day Earth, this is the Pacific Ring of Fire). The new supercontinent forms in this band, one-quarter of the way around the globe (90°) from the centre of its predecessor.

In order to test their model, the researchers used paleomagnetic data – records of the Earth's magnetic field preserved in rocks – to study variations in the rotation of the Earth with respect to its spin axis. These variations, known as "true polar wander", are caused by changes in the planet's mass distribution; they are the Earth’s attempt to maintain rotational equilibrium – a re-adjustment that takes place over millions of years.

By combining these data with knowledge of how supercontinents affect the Earth's motion, the researchers were able to calculate the angles between successive supercontinents. Their analysis reveals an angle of 87° between Pangaea and its predecessor Rodinia, and an angle of 88° between Rodinia and its predecessor Nuna. From these two independent measurements, the researchers inferred that the orthoversion model best describes supercontinent transitions.

Is that the thin line going through Siberia? That won't split there. I'd say there is too much back-pressure transmitted via North America.

What you call a "thin line" is the Laptev rift.
What does Wiki say?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptev_Sea_Rift
The Laptev Sea Rift is a divergent tectonic plate boundary between the North American Plate and the Eurasian Plate located on the Arctic Ocean coast of northeastern Siberia in Russia. The Laptev Sea Rift is the continuation of the Gakkel Ridge (Mid-Arctic Ridge) into the continental crust of Siberia. It starts offshore in the continental shelf and continues onshore to a point located in the Chersky Range where the boundary motion changes from extension to compression.

So there is a compression (back-pressure) rather that extension. :)

The rift is a divergent boundary, that compression is not part of the rift.

Pay special attention to where the merger is predicted to happen:
amasia.jpg

I've seen this one already and it is ludicrous. They predict that Kamtchatka will close the arctic oceans while it has done exactly the opposite for eons.

Let computers modeling guys that don't know shit about geology and this is what you get. Actually, I'm not surprised that you swallow that bullshit.

Back