Is playing God - 'human cloning' not a dangeroues game?

Deaf people wouldn't agree. They have their own language and schools. They see cochlear implants and lip reading as an abomination. You are trying to 'pass'
There is even a hierarchy.
born hearing, lost hearing.
born deaf to hearing parents.
born deaf to deaf parents.
And I don't see anything wrong with Down's Syndrome. They could teach us 'normal' people a lot about love, compassion, joy, and acceptance.

If you had a choice, would you prefer a Down's syndrome child?
And I don't see anything wrong with Down's Syndrome. They could teach us 'normal' people a lot about love, compassion, joy, and acceptance.
he above sentiment sounds noble, but I doubt that it is sincere.

Who cares what religious people think. Perhaps cloning technique could be the future to us being being able to live forever. Imagine if we can cultivate new body for our brain to live in. Although clones now can't live as long as us I'm sure with alot more research and development we might find a ways to allow ourselves another lifetime in new bodies. I say bloody awesome if it's ever possible. At least allow the researchers to continue to see what can come out of it. Frankly I see huge potentials. Maybe we can just one day harvest clones to brainwash for military purpose. Big money to be made by entrepreneurs. Very cool and IMO nothing immoral or unethical about it.

Dangerous game? Why would it be dangerous game? Afraid we'll bring down the wrath of 'god'? Afraid we'll open some kind of pandora's box? I say hogwash. Pft... As for the slavery and human-rights issues, all I'm going to say is they were made by us for our use. Hey maybe you can purchase a clone your dead lovers. Haha

Last edited:
If you had a choice, would you prefer a Down's syndrome child?he above sentiment sounds noble, but I doubt that it is sincere.

I guess it just shows how I was raised.
My Mom was the WY Easter Seals poster child when she was young. The leg braces came off when she was 13. She got a cochlear implant a few years ago.

When I was pregnant with both my kids I was asked if I wanted to be tested for it. I told them no because it didn't matter to me.

They are human beings not defective genetic material. :mad:

detailed argument!
do you mean that sexual reproduction = cloning.
no no ,
cloning is meant to cure genetic disorders.
it's just about cutting dna fragments with restriction enzymes. and insertion of gene which codes for a particular Character.this comes under Rdna technology.

there are different types of cloning 1.RDNA cloning 2. reproductive cloning
curing disorders is a good thing.
but designing like a factory product, it is not good.

Who cares what religious people think. Perhaps cloning technique could be the future to us being being able to live forever. Imagine if we can cultivate new body for our brain to live in. Although clones now can't live as long as us I'm sure with alot more research and development we might find a ways to allow ourselves another lifetime in new bodies. I say bloody awesome if it's ever possible. At least allow the researchers to continue to see what can come out of it. Frankly I see huge potentials. Maybe we can just one day harvest clones to brainwash for military purpose. Big money to be made by entrepreneurs. Very cool and IMO nothing immoral or unethical about it.

Dangerous game? Why would it be dangerous game? Afraid we'll bring down the wrath of 'god'? Afraid we'll open some kind of pandora's box? I say hogwash. Pft... As for the slavery and human-rights issues, all I'm going to say is they were made by us for our use. Hey maybe you can purchase a clone your dead lovers. Haha

why would you want to live forever? :shrug:

i know i wouldnt!!

why would you want to live forever? :shrug:

i know i wouldnt!!

Agree to disagree. Why wouldn't I? Not ever having to face the oblivion of death would allow me to acquire all knowledge I ever want to know, have all the time I need to gather all the riches I ever want, be around to enjoy sex with lots more women than I already have, see and experience the future with my every own eyes, and rub it into the face of those that worship some nonexisting higher beings that science has made me pretty much as immortal as what they believe. Can you honestly tell me they're not great reasons if such development in science can possibly achieve them?

Orleander: You did not ask to be tested for some genetic defect in your fetus. There are many reasons for not taking such a test. For example: Perhaps you would not want to abort a fetus known to have a genetic defect.

However, you did not answer the question I posed:
Would you prefer a child with Down's syndrome, Tay Sachs, or some other genetic defect?
If you would prefer one such, would you impose your peference on somebody who wanted to use medical science to avoid having such a child? Are you against medical research with such a goal?

Orleander: You did not ask to be tested for some genetic defect in your fetus. There are many reasons for not taking such a test. For example: Perhaps you would not want to abort a fetus known to have a genetic defect.

However, you did not answer the question I posed:If you would prefer one such, would you impose your peference on somebody who wanted to use medical science to avoid having such a child? Are you against medical research with such a goal?

Asking if I would prefer a disabled child is like asking if I would prefer a boy or girl. I DON'T CARE! I was not raised to care about that. It is not in my thought process to care about that.
Would you care if your child had black or brown hair??

But if you weed out deafness you will be weeding out a culture, a language, and a people. The people that Down's Syndrome matter too, already weed out those children through selective abortion. I have no problem with that. But Down's syndrome isn't inheiritable and runs through families. It is simply a glitch.

I am not against medical research. I am not against cloning human tissue. I an not against stem cell research. I am not even against ethically using animals in medical research.

Deaf people wouldn't agree. They have their own language and schools. They see cochlear implants and lip reading as an abomination. You are trying to 'pass'

In many places poor people have their own culture. And indeed in many places if a poor person tries to better himself he will run into opposition or ridicule from their peers. Would you suggest that we shouldn't work to reduce poverty because it would "weed out the poor culture"? :bugeye:

Besides, even if you want to argue that deafness or Downs syndrome aren't really problems that people should make efforts to eliminate, there are certainly much worse genetic disorders out there that I'm sure you would agree should be eliminated. No one is going to make an argument for keeping progeria around.

In many places poor people have their own culture. And indeed in many places if a poor person tries to better himself he will run into opposition or ridicule from their peers. Would you suggest that we shouldn't work to reduce poverty because it would "weed out the poor culture"? :bugeye:

Besides, even if you want to argue that deafness or Downs syndrome aren't really problems that people should make efforts to eliminate, there are certainly much worse genetic disorders out there that I'm sure you would agree should be eliminated. No one is going to make an argument for keeping progeria around.

what does any of that have to do with cloning?

Danger Will Robinson!

The danger is in the limits of human knowledge, and our arrogance that we know what we are doing.

Face it folks, we're all just muddlin' through here, and if we start tinkering around with things like evolution and natural selection... well, it just sounds dicey to me.

Evolution is a process that has been devloping through the aeons, and the mutations that 'work' are weeded from the mutations that don't in a process that tempers viability with 'practicality and sustainablity'. (Please don't get hung up on these words. Others would work.)

We could eliminate... Ok, how's this: Most animals' bodies can make Vitamin C, Humans cannot. That's why it's so important to for us to consume.

Why is this? We don't know, really.
So someone get the idea that s/he is going to ease suffering in third nations and finds a way to 'fix' our inability to make Vitamin C.
Noble aspiration.

What if the inability to produce Vitimin C is directly connected to sentience. I'm not saying it is, just that it could be.

We Don't Know.

I'm not opposed to stem cell research, and the cloning of specific organs sounds like good research, but "designer babies"?
Oh, Please. Get over yourselves, people.

Please note: This has nothing to do with a "God Character" type of arguement.

Just "we ain't that smart".

So someone get the idea that s/he is going to ease suffering in third nations and finds a way to 'fix' our inability to make Vitamin C.
Noble aspiration.

What if the inability to produce Vitimin C is directly connected to sentience. I'm not saying it is, just that it could be.

We Don't Know.
Then presumably the first few test cases would end up non-sentient. We would have to give up on the idea of fixing vitamin c production, but we would gain some very valuable information about the brain. What's your point? No one is proposing that we suddenly change the genes of all the people on the planet at once.
I'm not opposed to stem cell research, and the cloning of specific organs sounds like good research, but "designer babies"?
Oh, Please. Get over yourselves, people.
You are pitting vague, imaginary problems that might arise against the very real problems of millions of people who suffer from genetic disease.

You are pitting vague, imaginary problems that might arise against the very real problems of millions of people who suffer from genetic disease.

Well, that's exactly what we do with the drugs that are manufactured in this country every year ...we required extensive, years-long, testing to prove that some of those "imaginary" problems might not arise. And when it does, and it makes it to the news media, we all demand that the drug be pulled from the market.

Would we do the same for cloned human babies? If it doesn't turn out quite right, and one of those "might happen's" happen's, would we demand that it be pulled from the "market" and ....what, incinerated?

What would we do with a cloned baby that didn't turn out quite right? ..even after years of testing and evaluations? (And I'll let you make up your own little horror story about what's wrong with the cloned baby ...but make up a good one, like she can start fires just by looking at something!)

Baron Max

Please tell me what you think:

Human beings, natural of course, have souls, are people and deserve equality and rights. Clones are clones, do NOT have souls, and are merely objects

Therefore, yes defintely good to make a military out of clones. It saves us human beings from death, does it not?

@Tht1Gy!: Um... and your argument against my earlier post was???

What would we do with a cloned baby that didn't turn out quite right? ..even after years of testing and evaluations? (And I'll let you make up your own little horror story about what's wrong with the cloned baby ...but make up a good one, like she can start fires just by looking at something!)

They're just necessary casualties for the betterment of human living standard IMO.

Please tell me what you think:

Clones are clones, do NOT have souls, and are merely objects

Therefore, yes defintely good to make a military out of clones. It saves us human beings from death, does it not?

Hey I'm agreeing with you there. Don't agree with that human have soul bit though. Oh well.

Back