Is God Real?

One valuable lesson I think all should take from these forums is this: Never speak stereotypically.

You are correct. However, isn't the point of Buddhism to deny worldly desire? Suffering comes from desire, even though it usually comes from not taking action.

Furthermore, how is praying for something causing any benefit? The participant prays for some sort of comfort, because they would rather just pray and releive stress and sorrow through constant meditation rather than just attacking the root of the problem. Example: All of the people in a village are starving to death because of the Roman Regime. Jesus comes by and tells them to pray. Everyone dies. They would rather not live, because they can find spirituality in god's grace, in his imaginary world, rather than face reality under all odds. Anyone can avoid a problem, but a real hero would stand up and fix it.

Furthermore, how is praying for something causing any benefit? The participant prays for some sort of comfort, because they would rather just pray and releive stress and sorrow through constant meditation rather than just attacking the root of the problem. Example: All of the people in a village are starving to death because of the Roman Regime. Jesus comes by and tells them to pray. Everyone dies. They would rather not live, because they can find spirituality in god's grace, in his imaginary world, rather than face reality under all odds. Anyone can avoid a problem, but a real hero would stand up and fix it.
In fact the exact opposite happened. It would have been better for them if they had followed what Jesus said. The Jews who revolted were crushed in a failed attempt. Praying and meditation helps one concentrate and stay calm and this helps the decision process. In any case you can't really define what is a problem. It's all perception.

The better man would revolt and die in battle, then die sitting down.

MarAC,

The fact that christianity exists is because Christ is alive,
Not true. Whether he exists or not is irrelevant if no one believes the story. Christianity exists and is maintained entirely because people like you continue to believe it true.

Or in other words it exists entirely in the minds and imaginations of those who want it to be true. The only way you can prove this to be incorrect is to show that Christ actually exists. Until then or if, I’ll repeat my mantra again, all you have is a fantasy.

No kidding, what are you on Marc? The idea of Xstianity is 'faith', which means belief without proof. Any Christian could tell you there is no real proof of Jesus, because it is completely irrelevant to the belief.

Originally posted by Cris
Jenyar,

The point is that a placebo has no active ingredients of its own. In the God case we don’t actually need him to exist to achieve an effect. All that is needed is the mental conviction that he exists. The reality is what the mind creates.

Placebo God:
synonym, Graven Image.

Originally posted by and2000x
Christianity is actually a form of death denial. Since death is characterized as the end of conscious existence, a story about heaven is fabricated to facilitate the world beyond the current plane. Death has no serious consequences for the christian, because he is free from this miserable world (only miserable in hir eyes) , thus death doesn't exist.
originally posted by Cris
Brilliant and hooray. Now you are beginning to comprehend reality. Life often sucks real bad. Reality offers no guarantee that anyone will live happily ever after, like the Christian fairy story. Life is hard, and those who recognize this either commit suicide or learn to deal with it. All that religion does is to offer those that can’t deal with reality an imaginative narcotic that dulls their ability to see reality.

You both forget that we also believe God gave us this life to live to the fullest and to contribute to the lives of everybody else. That death poses no threat does not make a difference to life. It does not make you value life less! I can't understand: is your problem with God that He makes life too easy, or that it makes life bearable when it shouldn't be, or that it actually is bearable and Christians thinks it's miserable?

Eccl. 3
10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men.
11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.
13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil--this is the gift of God.

16 And I saw something else under the sun:
In the place of judgment--wickedness was there, in the place of justice--wickedness was there.
17 I thought in my heart,
God will bring to judgment both the righteous and the wicked, for there will be a time for every activity, a time for every deed.
18 I also thought, As for men, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals.
19 Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless.

This combined with some of your other statements represents one of the key reprehensible attitudes generated by Christianity. It is simple and flagrant arrogance; the assumption that without such a faith then others will be insensitive. It is both condescending and very insulting.

Most ordinary people are sensitive about the fate of other people, and this I would argue is a basic tenet of being human. That you attribute this to your self imposed elitist faith is offensive.
It's unfortunate that you experience it that way, but that is not "the assumption". Faith is not what permits sensitivity. But I find it strange that most anti-religious arguments go something along lines that deny the validity of human experience (the "love equals just a chemical reaction" being the most common) yet when I defend it, I'm accused of either being sentimental or elitist.

If you admit that sensitivity to the fate of other people is one of the "basic tenets of being human", why go to such great lengths to dismiss it as a fluke of evolution? If that is the source of our moral behaviour, why shouldn't God not also hold it to the highest standards? And why can't the "God of love" not regard insensitivity and selfishness as sin?

Faith not much else than sensitivity to God, and that why it should inspire faithful believers to "think twice where others would not". Not because only they can - the whole idea is that everybody can.

And this is, I think, the most tragic result of the Christian paradigm. That you consider that just a few decades of life as acceptable, an insignificant spec in the vast ocean of time and that death is nothing to fear or avoid is very sad. This fatalist widespread approach that prevents mankind from effectively trying to solve the real enemy – involuntary death, is sickening and to my mind characterizes an evil that is the real effect of religion – that death is a good thing.
If only a few decades of life was acceptable, there would be no expectance of eternal life. Our lives are not insignificant. It's mostly agnostics who ask "why would the God of such an immense universe bother with us?" or "how can we even begin to know God?", as if scale or status determined significance. If we thought death was a good thing, why would we believe that Christ came to conquer death? And if I said death was a bad thing, wouldn't you just have said it's just another natural part of life? But you call it an enemy - how is that different from the Christian perspective?

The tree of eternal life will be no less poisonous than the tree of knowledge. Adam and Eve was expelled from Eden because they departed from God, and God will only permit those who return to Him to eat from the second tree.

PS. I can't see how you think eternal life would make suffering more bearable. Do you know what the average age for suicide is? How many people would tolerate an eternity without love?

Just so that it is clear: death itself is neither good nor bad, it's a sign.
1 Corinthians 15
54 ... Death has been swallowed up in victory.
55 Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?
56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the human spirit continues past the cessation of corporeal life regardless of whether you believe in a certain religion.

It seems to me that kike stomping is a lot of fun and should be enjoyed by everyone.

The Human Spirit

Originally posted by candy
It seems to me that the human spirit continues past the cessation of corporeal life regardless of whether you believe in a certain religion.

I agree with you, Candy. There is no death of the Spirit. Death is a transition of the Spirit from its corporeal existence back to its source--the One Spirit of God.

Originally posted by and2000x
Furthermore, how is praying for something causing any benefit? The participant prays for some sort of comfort, because they would rather just pray and releive stress and sorrow through constant meditation rather than just attacking the root of the problem.
Not necessarily. Yes, people pray for comfort. But that has nothing to do with avoiding the task of solving a problem. I, for example, pray for some direction towards the best methodd of solving a problem. Whenever that solution arrives, then I solve my prob. However much work sweat, blood, sleeplessness and pain has to go into it.
No kidding, what are you on Marc? The idea of Xstianity is 'faith', which means belief without proof. Any Christian could tell you there is no real proof of Jesus, because it is completely irrelevant to the belief.
My advice to you; think for yourself.;) Without Christ, there is no Christianity. I won't even go further into this one because it's pretty pointless. Proof is within you. Proof that Christ existed is in a lot of place sin history. Even the most ardent skeptic has to acknowledge the existence of such a figure in history. His impact was just too great. Ask Cris... s/he was a Christian once [or so s/he said]... I suspect that's why s/he thinks they are 'intellectually challenged'. Such are the dangers of speaking stereotypically. Not because you were one when you were a christian doesn't mean they all were. That's simple logic don't you think? Seems to have stuck with h/im/er too.:D No offence Cris... well... not... really.

Not true. Whether he exists or not is irrelevant if no one believes the story. Christianity exists and is maintained entirely because people like you continue to believe it true.
Whether quarks exist or not is irrelevant to the rest of the universe too, if noone believes they do, right? I mean hey... they are 'fundamental' particles... but heck... who needs 'em. Well except for the 'fact' that they are the constituents of the 'particles' which make us up. Hence... I disagree.
Or in other words it exists entirely in the minds and imaginations of those who want it to be true. The only way you can prove this to be incorrect is to show that Christ actually exists. Until then or if, I’ll repeat my mantra again, all you have is a fantasy.
You see... this part is just annoying - when you ask me to show you. The scientist doesn't ask the other scientist who made the measurement to 'show me'. He familiarises himself with the methodology and measures for himself. No? As an advocate of the scientific method why the hell are you asking me to show you? Huh!?! Find the proof for yourself!!! It can't be done any other way! O.k.???

Method:Open your eyes, open your heart, look around you. Put your faith in Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. Believe in Him. Then you'll see your proof.

You people have faith manifest so strongly, yet you just place it in the wrong places.

Marc

My advice to you; think for yourself. Without Christ, there is no Christianity. I won't even go further into this one because it's pretty pointless. Proof is within you. Proof that Christ existed is in a lot of place sin history.

Below are a couple examples that can be found at http://www.truthbeknown.com/origins.htm, which are very similar to that of Jesus. Both predating the historical figure Jesus.

Horus of Egypt
The stories of Jesus and Horus are very similar, with Horus even contributing the name of Jesus Christ. Horus and his once-and-future Father, Osiris, are frequently interchangeable in the mythos ("I and my Father are one").41 The legends of Horus go back thousands of years, and he shares the following in common with Jesus:

Horus was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on December 25th in a cave/manger42, with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.43
He was a child teacher in the Temple and was baptized when he was 30 years old.44
Horus was also baptized by "Anup the Baptizer," who becomes "John the Baptist."
He had 12 disciples.
He performed miracles and raised one man, El-Azar-us, from the dead.
He walked on water.
Horus was transfigured on the Mount.
He was crucified, buried in a tomb and resurrected.
He was also the "Way, the Truth, the Light, the Messiah, God's Anointed Son, the Son of Man, the Good Shepherd, the Lamb of God, the Word" etc.
He was "the Fisher," and was associated with the Lamb, Lion and Fish ("Ichthys").45
Horus's personal epithet was "Iusa," the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father."46
Horus was called "the KRST," or "Anointed One," long before the Christians duplicated the story.47
In fact, in the catacombs at Rome are pictures of the baby Horus being held by the virgin mother Isis - the original "Madonna and Child"48 - and the Vatican itself is built upon the papacy of Mithra49, who shares many qualities with Jesus and who existed as a deity long before the Jesus character was formalized. The Christian hierarchy is nearly identical to the Mithraic version it replaced50. Virtually all of the elements of the Catholic ritual, from miter to wafer to water to altar to doxology, are directly taken from earlier pagan mystery religions.51

and
Mithra, Sungod of Persia
The story of Mithra precedes the Christian fable by at least 600 years. According to Wheless, the cult of Mithra was, shortly before the Christian era, "the most popular and widely spread 'Pagan' religion of the times." Mithra has the following in common with the Christ character:

Mithra was born on December 25th.
He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.
He had 12 companions or disciples.
He performed miracles.
He was buried in a tomb.
After three days he rose again.
His resurrection was celebrated every year.
Mithra was called "the Good Shepherd."
He was considered "the Way, the Truth and the Light, the Redeemer, the Savior, the Messiah."
He was identified with both the Lion and the Lamb.
His sacred day was Sunday, "the Lord's Day," hundreds of years before the appearance of Christ.
Mithra had his principal festival on what was later to become Easter, at which time he was resurrected.
His religion had a Eucharist or "Lord's Supper."52

Those are only 2 examples, if you'll go to the site you'll find more. It sure appears that the character of Jesus was created from various myths.

Last edited:
MarcAC,

Whether quarks exist or not is irrelevant to the rest of the universe too, if noone believes they do, right? I mean hey... they are 'fundamental' particles... but heck... who needs 'em. Well except for the 'fact' that they are the constituents of the 'particles' which make us up. Hence... I disagree.
But, Marc, quarks were detected in 1975, we don’t have to believe in them for them to exist because they are real and independent of our imagination.

Now, God of course is quite a different matter. He has never been detected and there is nothing to indicate he is real, hence if we stop imagining him he will simply vanish and no one will notice any difference.

The scientist doesn't ask the other scientist who made the measurement to 'show me'. He familiarises himself with the methodology and measures for himself. No?
Then show me the methodology that proves that God exists, apart from the techniques I know don’t work.

Method:Open your eyes, open your heart, look around you. Put your faith in Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. Believe in Him. Then you'll see your proof.
I tried it 30 years ago and it didn’t work. But it did open my eyes to atheism and for that I am truly grateful to Christianity.

Any other ideas?

You people have faith manifest so strongly, yet you just place it in the wrong places.
Ditto.

Jenyar,

That death poses no threat does not make a difference to life. It does not make you value life less!
You cannot be serious. How can you delude yourself so completely? That you cannot see how wrong you are is because you have been completely saturated by your fantasy. You cannot see death as a threat because you believe that death is not the end of life. For you life can only represent an insignificant and very temporary stage before you achieve eternal paradise and the glory of God’s presence. Such a temporary state can never be seen by you as vitally precious as it does to me. For me this life is all I have and every moment is a jewel that I can never experience again. That you dare to compare your terribly flawed perspective on life to mine is indicative of your appalling ignorance of life without a religious crutch – i.e. reality.

I can't understand: is your problem with God that He makes life too easy, or that it makes life bearable when it shouldn't be, or that it actually is bearable and Christians thinks it's miserable?
Fantasies are incapable of doing anything other than delude their owners. As for life, it is precious and worth fighting for. At the end you will cease to exist.

. You cannot see death as a threat because you believe that death is not the end of life. For you life can only represent an insignificant and very temporary stage before you achieve eternal paradise and the glory of God’s presence.

But this makes it less painful removing the lives of lunatics who believe such trash. Fire up the ovens.

Such a temporary state can never be seen by you as vitally precious as it does to me. For me this life is all I have and every moment is a jewel that I can never experience again. That you dare to compare your terribly flawed perspective on life to mine is indicative of your appalling ignorance of life without a religious crutch – i.e. reality.

Well said. It seems that the atheists usually (not always, as Stalin clearly illustrates) find more value in life- in humans, plants, minerals, and physical systems- than the religious maniacs who delude the masses, rape the soil, and keep the weak alive using toxins.

Jenyar,

But I find it strange that most anti-religious arguments go something along lines that deny the validity of human experience (the "love equals just a chemical reaction" being the most common) yet when I defend it, I'm accused of either being sentimental or elitist.
The difference is how we attribute the cause. You devalue humanity when you assign the cause to an external influence.

If you admit that sensitivity to the fate of other people is one of the "basic tenets of being human", why go to such great lengths to dismiss it as a fluke of evolution?
It is neither being dismissed nor attributed to being a fluke. It is an essential ingredient of who we are and has played a major role in our survival to date.

If that is the source of our moral behavior, why shouldn't God not also hold it to the highest standards?
Because God becomes an irrelevant and null component in a system that has already allowed us to survive and grow as we have.

And why can't the "God of love" not regard insensitivity and selfishness as sin?
Because to disobey a super being is superfluous to an evolving species that has no need for the interference or existence of such a being.

Faith not much else than sensitivity to God, and that why it should inspire faithful believers to "think twice where others would not". Not because only they can - the whole idea is that everybody can.
That you can reason for the values of life and that I as an atheist can reason the same way indicates that the common factor is our human values for life. Your inclusion of a God figure is a null factor in the equation.

If you were to remove your faith and the notion of God, and after a suitable period of adjustment, would you seriously believe you would think any differently about life value to how you think now? A difficult hypothetical and I don’t expect an answer.

If only a few decades of life was acceptable, there would be no expectance of eternal life.
Then we share the same desires and we are little different. Except that you think the problem is solved and I don’t.

Our lives are not insignificant. It's mostly agnostics who ask "why would the God of such an immense universe bother with us?" or "how can we even begin to know God?", as if scale or status determined significance.
I agree. I no longer ask such pointless questions. God is a fiction.

If we thought death was a good thing, why would we believe that Christ came to conquer death?
That is the essence of your fantasy. You’ve distorted the reality of death into a gateway made possible by Jesus. The horror and finality of death has been magically changed into a wonderful portal to paradise.

And if I said death was a bad thing, wouldn't you just have said it's just another natural part of life? But you call it an enemy - how is that different from the Christian perspective?
The difference is paramount. You believe Jesus is on the other side and hence you cannot see death as a threat. But involuntary death is not a part of life; it is the failure of a functioning mechanism to sustain itself because of the weakness and crudity of the evolutionary process that produced us. Cell senescence is a disease to be treated like any other, and is the approach being taken by all those working in anti-aging research. Aging is an enemy just like cancer or polio.

PS. I can't see how you think eternal life would make suffering more bearable.
I’m not sure that I do. This seems out of context. I’ll think on this, I’m tired.

Do you know what the average age for suicide is?
I guess I could do a search. What is your point though?

How many people would tolerate an eternity without love?
Those who don’t assign such temporary emotions the same relevance as you.

And also just to be clear. Death is the ultimate evil. It is the end of existence. There is nothing worse. There is no return. And to treat death as less of a threat is to betray your species and yourself.

The difference is paramount. You believe Jesus is on the other side and hence you cannot see death as a threat. But involuntary death is not a part of life; it is the failure of a functioning mechanism to sustain itself because of the weakness and crudity of the evolutionary process that produced us. Cell senescence is a disease to be treated like any other, and is the approach being taken by all those working in anti-aging research. Aging is an enemy just like cancer or polio.
So we agree that death is an affliction. But we disagree on its source and on the cure. Even a way of sustaining your body indefinitely will not "cure" death, it will only postpone it indefinitely. And assuming you are still talking about a human being as we know it: dependent on the earth, oxygen and food to sustain it.

My position is that only the creator of life can ultimately sustain it. Evolution hasn't proved very competent at that. What makes you so certain we can do better?

A French philosopher whose name escapes me once wrote: "anybody who believes in justice must believe in the hereafter."

Originally posted by Jenyar

1 Corinthians 15
54 ... Death has been swallowed up in victory.
55 Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?
56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

The problem with death is that you can be dead and not even know it.

Death, to be dead in anyone or combination there of, Mind, body or spirit.

A Manic Depressive dies a thousand deaths, lives a thousand lifetimes.

Back