Is God a tyrant? (If he exists)

Jenyar,

I am really curious why an all loving god would have commanded children to be killed- In additon as Josh pointed out- you would think that an omniscient and omnipotent god would realize that doing so would cause future harm(bloodshed).

The crusades were not God's will, killing babies or anybody to "send them to heaven" is not God's will.

Then why did god command those babies and children to be killed?

JustARide said:
Jenyar - first of all, thanks for providing actual quotes to support your argument. It's refreshing.

Your interpretation may indeed lead you to the conclusion that God only ordered killings for a select period of history, using a select people to achieve those goals. Sadly, it seems your interpretation of scripture has not been entirely accepted, as evidenced by the continuing religious strife in the world. I wish more people agreed with you.
So do I. I think the root of the problem is ignorance. It's alarming how many people live under the impression that they have the same authority as God. Satan's true lie to Adam was more deceptive than we realize: we have indeed become like God, at least in our own eyes - but the truth is we'll never be God.

My problems remain as follows...

1. Whether you believe God ordered killings for only a small time in history or that he continues to order them today, it's fairly difficult to deny that that belief alone has led to great bloodshed throughout history. If God himself had never introduced the idea in the first place, at least we could be sure that none of the violence being perpetrated in his name was truly warranted. After one takes the leap and affirms that God is capable and, in fact, has already ordered slaughters, it tends to make the entire notion far more palatable, would you agree?
God didn't introduce the idea of bloodshed. The act that set the precedent was when Cain killed his brother Abel because "his own actions were evil and his brother's were righteous" (1 John 3:13). But God demands accountability, and He is fully capable of carrying it out:
Genesis 9:5 And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.
My whole argument up to this point was that God did not slaughter anybody out of whim - it was always in answer to injustice. Their can be nothing worse than exile from God (sometime called being "given over to their sins"). Submitting the Amalekites to God meant their complete annihilation. That's something we can't accept anymore, because we live under a different paradigm. There are two reasons for this, one is what I've been explaining at length - the political circumstances. The other is closely tied to this: the authority by which these exterminations were carried out.

I have already mentioned that at that point, God was starting on a path of redemption for the whole world. He was establishing His authority among the nations, using Israel as the chosen vehicle. It's important to remember that Israel's rise wasn't a path of victory - it was a struggle for survival, typified by their 40 years in the Sinai desert, and the Amalekites typified the enemies they would encounter. Israel was at this point under direct command of God, with the Ten Commandments as their prime directive. After their initial settlement, God confirmed His authority during the time of the Judges (you'll find the first few verses of Judges 3 especially interesting ;)), and the early history of Israel is filled with conflict - as all the ANE cultures were. But after the Middle Babylonian period a transition came with the monarchy. Saul was the first king - the first time Israel demanded a visible authority over them. This one event not only described but emphasized his disobedience, and showed why God removed him from power and replaced him with David. But in the same way, as a king, he is described as having replaced God's authority in the eyes of the people. And Jesus in turn came from David's line to re-establish God's kingship and remove the oppression (Acts 13:23). Once again, God is the final word, not man. People can't order wars in God's name anymore, because everything has been submitted to God himself. He established Israel, but only so that they would realize His authority.

Romans 13:1
"Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God."

1 Peter 2:13
"Submit yourselves for the Lord?s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority,"

In other words, we can't use the way God established His kingdom to justify establishing our own - our way leads to war, His way leads to peace. We have to submit to the laws of society, unless they violate God's laws. We can fight for what God has already established, but there is nothing more to establish that warrants bloodshed. We have to accept His authority - and the same authority that ordered Saul to annihilate the Amalekites orders us to love one another. That's not a contradiction because it's towards the same goal: establishing a kingdom that would 1)be under God's sovereign rule, 2)contains no evil and therefore can 3)experience God's unreserved presence.

2. I'm still curious as to why God did not carry out the death sentences himself (as he had shown the ability to do), but instead ordered earthly armies to do his bidding. Surely, he knew this would only lead to more violence, with more and more leaders crying, "God told me to kill you."
With that thinking we're back to square one. Why did God create people in the first place, if we were just pawns He moved around or pushed off the board at will. God was involved in freeing Israel from slavery and creating a nation for Himself. Sin and injustice is not something you can wish away - it's a reality we have to face. Eden is gone my friend. As for people crying "God told me to kill you"... we should make it better - not worse. The Bible makes that quite clear enough, at least. It also makes clear that it's impossible to achieve this while being disobedient to God.

3. Again, by limiting the killings to certain points within the Old Testament and thereby making the very idea off-limits to research or discussion, the Bible is, essentially, covering its own ass. The killings probably had to be cordoned off in history because, had they been allowed to continue, A) the entire world might look like the Middle East, B) People might grow suspicious as to the motives of the righteous killers (as they should have been in the first place), and C) If people were still making those claims today (as some wackjobs still do), people might realize how full of shit they are. God is an unchanging rock, the same "yesterday, today, and forever," but yet he decided to radically shift his tactics roughly 2000 years ago?
The shift wasn't with God, it was with society. It's interesting that you would admit the killings were limited. Even your case studies in their dangers are limited: The first Christian "holy war" was probably that of Constantine, whose outnumbered Christian army won an army that was supposed to be protected with a pagan enchantment. This was a turning point in Christian history (for better and for worse). [source: BBC: Wars that are not Just Wars].

The next was the first crucade, intended to right the wrongs Muslims committed against Christianity, and prbably an outflow of the Christian state. But at the point of victory, it became a secular war of great brutality. People took justice into their own hands. I think the pattern can be found in any so-called holy war. And I maintain that the vast majority of people do not need "God's approval" to wage them. I would like an example where I might be wrong if you have one.

But none of these ever represented the idea of shalom that Israel hoped for, which would eventually translated in our present idea of heaven. God answered the challenge when the world declared war on his people - He is the Rock they broke themselves on. But instead of making Israel the strongest and greatest nation on earth, He let them be dispersed and weakened - and the similarity between Israel and Jesus isn't coincidence. Christians don't have a tyrant warrior God on their side - we have the victory of Jesus over death on our side. Any war could be won with that, but no act of terror can be justified by it, because life doesn't belong to us anymore. If you really believe God reserves the right to grant victory or not, you would think twice about taking those reigns into your own hands. Unfortunately, there are people who place their own interests above God.

Bottom line: belief in a God who has, even at any time in history, ordered killings increases the likelihood of more violence. Again, I don't see many Taoists claiming the Tao told them to go bomb innocent people. If the Tao Te Ching had included the line, "And the Tao ordered the king to smite his enemies with great force," they might have some basis for a belief in Tao-sanctioned violence, would they not?

People can still point to one atrocity and say, "God did not inspire that," then point to another and say, "God might have inspired that." It's all a crapshoot as far as I can tell.
It's crapshoot because it's speculation. We don't have the authority to judge, only God has. The course of history is just too complex too formulate it in black and white like that. But at least from the Bible we can see that no event is so out of control that God cannot make something out of it. How He responds is up to Him, and how we respond is up to us - but a separation between the two results in conflict. Tao is certainly a valid way of living, but it has no power to deliver us from injustice or resolve the conflict, and has never asserted such power. If this life was all that mattered, it might have been an ideal way of life even, but we are in exile in this world, facing death and suffering as a reality, we can't afford not to be delivered from it.

The world is at the moment gripped in the "war against terrorism", and the recent incident in Spain makes it clear that it's a real war with real casualties. But how do we fight it? How is justice done? Will justice be done once each terrorist is serving life in prison, or only once the authority that prompts them has been replaced?

The Bible leaves no room for political aggression, because God's kingdom isn't a political state. It leaves no room for religious aggression, because would undo its message. And it leaves no room for territorial aggression, because God will establish a new earth himself. Nothing God has promised us is something we can bring about ourselves - not even peace. Our task is to take hold of what God has promised under all circumstances, and exercise the love for which He created us.

Last edited:
heart said:
Jenyar,

I am really curious why an all loving god would have commanded children to be killed- In additon as Josh pointed out- you would think that an omniscient and omnipotent god would realize that doing so would cause future harm(bloodshed).

Then why did god command those babies and children to be killed?
I'm sorry heart, I don't know. I'm making educated guesses and specualtions, but I can never really know. To make it worse, I'm pretty certain that it wasn't the only such atrocity - either by Israel or by any other Near Eastern nation.

But I can tell you that it's not because I wonder about God's motives, it's becasue I am quite certain I don't know enough to say God didn't know what He was doing. I have a picture here with me (it's on my hard drive and I don't know how I can post it here since a link would just be dead) of three rows of ten young children (about 8-15 years old) standing in military formation with rifles at the ready. And I know that no matter how much I theorize and speculate - that army of children would unravel my world. I wouldn;t know for how much they would be accountable, I would not know how guilty or innocent they are of the people they killed, or which of them knew exactly what it meant. If you would tell me they were as innocent as a new born baby I would believe it, but at the same time I know that the violence and injustice they are inflicting and are inflicted with has no justification. And that's the kind of decisions God makes over thousands of years, and billions of people. But whether they died by the hands of the people they are trained to kill, or natural deaths in old age, I would not know if they were better off one way or the other.

You know... the thing I find most annoying and the most revealing when people try to find every single detail to try and discount God's existence or delegitmize Him is this: Every single descrepancy, every single contradiction (and really contradictions are nothing... because they usually point to some level of ignorance regarding whatever is seemingly contradictory)... they reeeeaaach and reeeaaach to try to find some minute detail... some nuance which will not even justify their argument to any greater extent, but it will just seem to be another link broken in the Godly chain.

In their reaching though they fail to recognise that the world is not a choice A or choice B place. It's not black and white. The world is basically a world of logic, science, and religion. They ALL have their contradictions and their problems, yet people will only focus on the one of those three which for some unknown reason they do not feel should be a legitimate path in life.

In my eyes that points to total and utter desperation. When you will argue yoursellf down to the point where you get that black and white tunnel vision. God will exist whether you believe He exists or not. A blind man doesn't have to believe stars exist, or a moon, or any such visual stimuli. Everyone views a specific situation in a different way. You might look at one thing and say it's beautiful, and I'll look at the same thing and say it's utterly disgusting, ugly, and dispicable. Who is right?

You know... the thing I find most annoying and the most revealing when people try to find every single detail to try and discount God's existence or delegitmize Him is this: Every single descrepancy, every single contradiction (and really contradictions are nothing... because they usually point to some level of ignorance regarding whatever is seemingly contradictory)... they reeeeaaach and reeeaaach to try to find some minute detail... some nuance which will not even justify their argument to any greater extent, but it will just seem to be another link broken in the Godly chain.

Hmmm. Now, tell me, if contradictions are usually evidence of our ignorance of something (a point I’m surprisingly close to agreeing with), then tell me, how can you discount other religions? Being a Christian, you must have at least superficially examined other faiths and found them lacking somehow. I’m wondering how you could possibly decide on a religion if you’re this open-minded. Or are you simply willing to give more slack to Christianity’s contradictions than, say, Hinduism’s?

By the way, one need not “reeeeeach” to find contradiction in the Bible, or any religious text for that matter. Also, finding a workable explanation of a seeming contradiction isn’t that hard either. Stare at a piece of modern art long enough and I guarantee you can come up with an “interpretation” that explains it. Read a couple scholarly essays on David Lynch films and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Anything can be made to fit if you try hard enough.

In their reaching though they fail to recognise that the world is not a choice A or choice B place. It's not black and white. The world is basically a world of logic, science, and religion. They ALL have their contradictions and their problems, yet people will only focus on the one of those three which for some unknown reason they do not feel should be a legitimate path in life.

Exactly. I agree with you 100%. You have, in fact, explained one of the core tenets of agnosticism – that being the fallibility of the human reasoning. By realizing that you are simply choosing from available knowledge, which is limited, and deciding based on your own thought-process, which is imperfect, you can come to see beliefs what for they truly are: only beliefs.

Just as life is not a choice between A and B, so religion and spirituality are not simple right/wrong equations. The problem arises when people are not willing to recognize their own fallibility, when they adopt a belief system that is rigid and dogmatic, not allowing for any future alteration based on new evidence. That is tunnel vision.

In my eyes that points to total and utter desperation. When you will argue yoursellf down to the point where you get that black and white tunnel vision. God will exist whether you believe He exists or not. A blind man doesn't have to believe stars exist, or a moon, or any such visual stimuli. Everyone views a specific situation in a different way. You might look at one thing and say it's beautiful, and I'll look at the same thing and say it's utterly disgusting, ugly, and dispicable. Who is right?

Once again, I’m with you. At no time on this thread have I stated that my beliefs should be automatically equated with reality. I’ve talked about what I think is likely, about my ideas of how we might decrease violence around the world, about how I see Christianity as a negative, restrictive force that binds people intellectually. I might be entirely wrong – I admit that. Jenyar, however, is far more sure of himself. Of course, people were also sure that Earth was the center of the universe at one point as well. I prefer to keep my options open, on all fronts, because I have seen how easily barriers can be broken down.

Now, since we are both keenly aware of our own narrow view of things, tell me… why do you feel it necessary to find contradictions in the opposing side’s argument? After all, considering what you just said, is it not also equally as possible that you simply have not realized the “level of ignorance” that prevents you from seeing the truth in what we are saying?

Just food for thought.

Josh

It’s just a ride. – Bill Hicks

JustARide said:
Hmmm. Now, tell me, if contradictions are usually evidence of our ignorance of something (a point I’m surprisingly? close to agreeing with), then tell me, how can you discount other religions? Being a Christian, you must have at least superficially examined other faiths and found them lacking somehow. I’m wondering how you could possibly decide on a religion if you’re this open-minded. Or are you simply willing to give more slack to Christianity’s contradictions than, say, Hinduism’s?
All I have is faith. That's my strange reason.
By the way, one need not “reeeeeach” to find contradiction in the Bible, or any religious text for that matter. Also, finding a workable explanation of a seeming contradiction isn’t that hard either. Stare at a piece of modern art long enough and I guarantee you can come up with an “interpretation” that explains it. Read a couple scholarly essays on David Lynch films and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Anything can be made to fit if you try hard enough.
I agree fully. But again... who is right?
Exactly. I agree with you 100%. You have, in fact, explained one of the core tenets of agnosticism – that being the fallibility of the human reasoning. By realizing that you are simply choosing from available knowledge, which is limited, and deciding based on your own thought-process, which is imperfect, you can come to see beliefs what for they truly are: only beliefs.
Not disagreeing... but how do you figure that our thought-process is imperfect (which is the saaaame process the agnostics use to come to their agnostic belief in beliefs?)? Anywho... I have faith.... faith in my belief... faith in my God... faith in myself.
Just as life is not a choice between A and B, so religion and spirituality are not simple right/wrong equations. The problem arises when people are not willing to recognize their own fallibility, when they adopt a belief system that is rigid and dogmatic, not allowing for any future alteration based on new evidence. That is tunnel vision.
Fully agree. I try my best not to do that. Many professed Christians on this forum who, by their posts, I have come to respect seem to avoid doing that too. If you look at Christianity on a whole... many Christians realise and avoid that... that's why you have so many divisions, but they still don't see the point. They disagree and with that tunnel vision see their way as the only way. The subjects of many of these squabbles, on close investigation, are of little consequence at the end of the Christian road.
Once again, I’m with you. At no time on this thread have I stated that my beliefs should be automatically equated with reality. I’ve talked about what I think is likely, about my ideas of how we might decrease violence around the world, about how I see Christianity as a negative, restrictive force that binds people intellectually. I might be entirely wrong – I admit that. Jenyar, however, is far more sure of himself. Of course, people were also sure that Earth was the center of the universe at one point as well. I prefer to keep my options open, on all fronts, because I have seen how easily barriers can be broken down.
Now they are unsure that the earth is the centre right? The belief may be correct... isn't the Earth at the centre of our observable universe? Faith makes you sure of yourself. There's nothing wrong with that. It's either that... or... living with some nihilistic viewpoint on 'whatever the hell this is'... whatever a 'this' is. Living in total confusion. You need a point of reference. I assume Jenyar has enough faith in the Christian God and herself to hold strong to her belief. You have faith in something [yourself perhaps?] to hold to what you hold true... unless nothing is true to you.:p
Now, since we are both keenly aware of our own narrow view of things, tell me… why do you feel it necessary to find contradictions in the opposing side’s argument? After all, considering what you just said, is it not also equally as possible that you simply have not realized the “level of ignorance” that prevents you from seeing the truth in what we are saying?
For me there's no other side. I exist in a world of science, religon, and logic... all underscored by faith. I utilize science, and I particularly dislike the label relgious, I have my belief, which is a Christian belief, through faith, in myself, and moreso in God. If you read my posts here at this forum, I always do my best to criticize the scientists, the theists, and the logicists.

You know I don't particularly have any prob with what you're saying, as is apparent. I'm a christian. You aren't. I have my belief through faith. Don't ask me what faith is or where it comes from... I believe it comes from God. Think about it? Without faith, what would you believe? Nothing, right? You can't exist in this world without faith in something. Even if it's faith in your ideas. My faith assures me that the correct path is the Christian path. In the end. I'll find out for myself, or I won't. We all will, or won't.;)
Just food for thought.
Just food for thought. Later Hick Guy.;)

MarcAC said:
All I have is faith. That's my strange reason. I agree fully. But again... who is right?

We aren't quite sure what's right. Perhaps nobody is right. That's the point.

MarcAC said:
Not disagreeing... but how do you figure that our thought-process is imperfect (which is the saaaame process the agnostics use to come to their agnostic belief in beliefs?)?

Indeed, our thought-process is imperfect. That's why agnosticism is not a written-in-stone idea, nor is it tantamount to "faith" or "belief." It is simply an openness to what can be - and the humility to accept that faith does not make something real.

A true agnostic will admit the fallibility of his own position, hence agnosticism is a fluid thing, ready to change or be changed at any moment.

MarcAC said:
Now they are unsure that the earth is the centre right? The belief may be correct... isn't the Earth at the centre of our observable universe? Faith makes you sure of yourself. There's nothing wrong with that. It's either that... or... living with some nihilistic viewpoint on 'whatever the hell this is'... whatever a 'this' is. Living in total confusion. You need a point of reference. I assume Jenyar has enough faith in the Christian God and herself to hold strong to her belief. You have faith in something [yourself perhaps?] to hold to what you hold true... unless nothing is true to you.

I hold beliefs like everyone else; the only difference is I'm willing to admit they may be wrong. The trick comes in realizing that beliefs must be rooted in individual experience. There seems to be no way around it. I have certain convictions about what is right and wrong, but I get them merely from my own observations, which boil down to, essentially, the good ol' Golden Rule. I know what hurt feels like, so I try not to bring that upon others. I do not, however, derive my convictions from ancient books that were clearly written in a far more barbaric and ignorant time. Oh well. Some of us are just crazy like that, I guess.

A sureness of oneself can be both good and bad, but let me say, when it comes to religion, rock solid certainty often goes hand-in-hand with ignorance, intolerance, and hatred (for more information, visit any terrorist organization). If you had to be stranded on a desert island with a group of people, would you rather them be fundamentalists, completely sure that they have tamed all cosmic questions and found the ultimate truth, or open-minded people, willing to listen, be challenged, and change should they find some new, undiscovered truth?

I'm sure it may seem like I'm going on about ability to change, yet I am not willing to budge from my positions on this thread. That's true - I have read nothing on this thread that convinced me otherwise. But I have been a number of things in my life thus far: a Christian for 15 years, then an atheist, and now an agnostic. Some people might look at that and say, "He's spiritually weak-minded. He has no faith." That may be true, but from my end, it's been a learning journey, one that I hope I never give up. It's people who adopt one religion so strongly that they let go of their brain reigns that perplex me.

So, as you might guess, I'm not a big proponent of martyrdom.

"Of course I'm not willing to die for my beliefs. I could be wrong." - Bertrand Russell

By the way, is Jenyar female? I never really asked;)

MarcAC said:
For me there's no other side. I exist in a world of science, religon, and logic... all underscored by faith. I utilize science, and I particularly dislike the label relgious, I have my belief, which is a Christian belief, through faith, in myself, and moreso in God. If you read my posts here at this forum, I always do my best to criticize the scientists, the theists, and the logicists.

Hey, whatever gets you through the night, it's all right...

MarcAC said:
You know I don't particularly have any prob with what you're saying, as is apparent. I'm a christian. You aren't. I have my belief through faith. Don't ask me what faith is or where it comes from... I believe it comes from God. Think about it? Without faith, what would you believe? Nothing, right? You can't exist in this world without faith in something. Even if it's faith in your ideas. My faith assures me that the correct path is the Christian path. In the end. I'll find out for myself, or I won't. We all will, or won't.
MarcAC said:
Just food for thought.

Very true. Even an atheist has faith that there is no God.

As long as you respect the faith (or lack thereof) of others, then I think there is always room to grow or, dare I say, evolve.

I have a certain degree of faith in this and that, but mostly things I've dealt with intimately: art, music, stuff I find make the world more liveable. Talking snakes and donkeys don't really do much for me. That being said, I think there are beliefs (or ideas might be a better word) worth having and, in many instances, fighting to preserve. I suppose when it comes to the big questions - the abstract quandaries about life, the cosmos, God, and nature - I can't help but laugh at those who have it all figured out. After all, it's one thing to have good ideas, interesting theories, and honorable intentions... and another to have decided the entire debate is already over and your side won. (I'm glad to see you do not seem like this kind...)

MarcAC said:
Later Hick Guy.

Later, smartass. ;)

Just for that, some more Bill Hicks quotes! Muahahaha!

"Christians wear crosses around their necks. You really think the first thing Jesus wants to see when he comes back is a fucking cross?"

"I love watching the Pope in his little Pope-Mobile with the three feet of bullet-proof plexiglass. Boy, there's faith in action."

"Imagine being adopted by pro-life fundamentalist Christian parents. Shit, give me the Satan-worshipping family down the block - you know, the ones that have the good albums."​

Josh

It's just a ride. - Bill Hicks

Last edited:
MarcAC,

I happen to think some details are important and shouldn't be overlooked. ie the piece of poop sitting in the middle of the chicken breast you're about to eat. I don't know about you, but that is one detail that will stop me from consuming the chicken breast. Although, I suppose what may bother one person will not bother the other.

So when you think others are trying to "reeeach" and not accepting your beliefs/faith, remember it could very well be that they are having a hard time digesting what others are trying to feed them given the details.

Just food for thought :D

Last edited:
So when you think others are trying to "reeeach" and not accepting your beliefs/faith, remember it could very well be that they are having a hard time digesting what others are trying to feed them given the details.
Just as an observation, I tend to agree with MarcAC... you seem to stumble over grass in an attempt to kick at rocks.

You say that one untasteful event in the Bible is enough to spoil the whole thing for you, but I wonder if you apply the same standard to your life. You'd be left without hope - or with very little to believe - if that's the case. You're not being asked to believe everything without reservation (that's just a melodramatic objection), but to believe what it comes down to - to at least realize the significance of what it would mean if that detail were true...

If GOD (the personal GOD, that looks after YOU) ia all powerful HE is a criminal... and should be accountable for all the ills of the world!!!

Thus no personal GOD exists.

If GOD (the personal GOD, that looks after YOU) ia all powerful HE is a criminal... and should be accountable for all the ills of the world!!!

Thus no personal GOD exists.
And thus was Jesus denied and crucified...

>> And thus was Jesus denied and crucified...

Many godlike men and women suffer similar fates in this cruel world.

But is it cruel because of evil or is it cruel because of ignorance??

Or to put it differently, if evil, then GOD is responsible, if ignorance then it is our fate to cure the problems.... I think it is up to us to get it togehter,,, and I mean together together

Many godlike men and women suffer similar fates in this cruel world.

But is it cruel because of evil or is it cruel because of ignorance??
Both. Ignorance is no excuse for evil. But the people who crucified Jesus weren't ignorant, they knew exactly why they wanted an innocent man dead.

Or to put it differently, if evil, then GOD is responsible, if ignorance then it is our fate to cure the problems.... I think it is up to us to get it togehter,,, and I mean together together
The one who does the evil is responsible. If it was so evidently God, then you would have had no trouble believing in Him. No, you infer that God is responsible, based on what people do. Have you no free will?

You have just proved that the same mentality that put an innocent man on the cross is still alive and well - ironically, Jesus was crucified because people held Him accountable for who He was, and in spite of what He did. Don't you think God is trying to tell you something?

We were created for our own good and not for our own evil....
Ancient Stoic wisdom

So it seems one of LIFE'S goals is to learn about the reality it is growing in, and what better place to discuss this than a science foum, because science is the study of the physical Creation, which for us, is reality.

>> Jesus was crucified because people held Him accountable for who He was, and in spite of what He did. Don't you think God is trying to tell you something?

Yes indeed, to learn and gain the knowledge that there is only wellness and illness, not good and evil .... there can be only be good

Illness can be cured with enough knowledge. As the responsible / fell willed elders of LIFE we need to learn to cure our LIFE's ills and be able to follow our common clear direct conscience.

This seem to me to be a good goal for us humans to aim for.
:).

That is the way I see it.
:)

Yes indeed, to learn and gain the knowledge that there is only wellness and illness, not good and evil .... there can be only be good
Oh, that's nice. Child rapists are only "unwell"; their evil actions are only symptoms of ignorance, so they're not really accountable. Is that it?

So do you think education in "life skills" will cure violence, murder, theft and deceit in a person? How would you impart your "common clear direct conscience" on them?

No my dear Zarkov, that's not reality. Reality is that criminals are criminals because they act criminally, they do evil - they disobey the law and they ignore the common conscience. Not because God makes them do it, and neither because the devil makes them do it. People will act against the nature of good-willed people, they will even act against their own conscience.

The cure is to make them realize that they will be held accountable. They might escape people, but they can't escape God. Read your quotation again: "we were created for..."; that means we are not good or evil in and by ourself, but by what we choose to do - act according to God's intention, be who He created us to be, or not.

Of well I see it differently, certainly many people are out of social control.

Such behaviour is not to be condoned but there may well be reasons that can be addressed given a clear understanding of the cause of the problem.

Biological systems may be ill in one of two ways or more usually both. There is mental and physical.

Some illnesses are due to organic physical failure creating mental disturbances, but more usually there is mental disturbance due to heredity environment, or mental p o i s o n e s due IMO to dietry toxic metal accumulation.

If we are to achieve unity and common trust, the certain realisations have to be addressed. Are we just individuals or are we bits of a greater organism....

I think we are super-cells in a greater super-organism.... the benifit of one is the benifit of all. I am a Stoic.

I think we are super-cells in a greater super-organism.... the benifit of one is the benifit of all. I am a Stoic.
Then I'll place you in good company and let Paul repeat his speech to the Stoics and Epicureans in Athens:
Acts 17
18A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, "May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we want to know what they mean." 21(All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)

22Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'

29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone--an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

There are always reasons; just like dietary toxic metal accumulation leads to illness, sin leads to spiritual death. Explaining why a criminal acts criminal doesn't make him less culpable, unless he's really completely unaware of what he's doing (the ratio between people who go to prison instead of psychiatric institutions should show that this is the expeception).

Otherwise you're just like an alcoholic who refuses to admit he has a problem "because their is a perfectly good biochemical reason why you get drunk".

You say that one untasteful event in the Bible is enough to spoil the whole thing for you, but I wonder if you apply the same standard to your life. You'd be left without hope - or with very little to believe - if that's the case. You're not being asked to believe everything without reservation (that's just a melodramatic objection), but to believe what it comes down to - to at least realize the significance of what it would mean if that detail were true...

I find more than just one event in the Bible that is, as you say, "untasteful". I think many of the things the biblical god did are quite alarming. Let's put it this way, if he were running for president he would not get my vote.

I will not hang out with a person who is a blood thirsty baby killer. Why on earth should I follow one? Those are facts that cannot be overlooked. Yet, I have a feeling you are suggesting that one should look at the good only and close their eyes to any and everything bad god did which would taint the image you have of him.

I will stand my ground that I just think a true god would be above the brutal acts that the biblical god portrays.

Jenyar said:
Just as an observation, I tend to agree with MarcAC... you seem to stumble over grass in an attempt to kick at rocks.

Oh, this is one of my favorites! The If-you-don't-find-the-Bible-inspiring-how-can-you-find-inspiration-anywhere? argument. So, let me get this straight. Having trouble with a God who repeatedly commits large scale atrocities is comparable to letting "one untasteful event" ruin one's life? Oh, please. The problem is not that the Bible includes distasteful events - it's that God endorses/causes many of them.

Guess what. There are a lot of "little" details that, if they turned out to be true, would qualify as huge revelations. Christians, by virtue of their faith, have simply decided that the "details" presented in the Bible, should they be proven true, would represent the most earth-shattering realizations... for them.

But many other possibilities exist (an infinite number, in fact) and it is only the strictly religious mind that refuses to accept their possible existence because, of course, it has already decided what is "true." What sucks the joy out of life is not doubt of one religion or another, but a closed mind that will not entertain any idea that does not fit inside one's preset mental framework. Examples of this are myriad. Why did the Catholic Church feel threatened by Galileo's theories? Or why do religions feel threatened by any scientific theory, for that matter? Why is there a massive regressive, conservative movement backed up by Christianity in the US but not a corresponding liberal one? Because religion does not open up; it closes off, shuts down, isloates, and constricts thought.

A very simple comparison can be drawn here. Do you feel truly pained that you have not accepted Islam, Hinduism, or Buddhism? You have ruled those options out (for whatever reason... likely for inconsistencies you find in them), but it hasn't sucked the joy out of your life, has it?

Just curious.

Josh

It's just a ride. - Bill Hicks

Back