Is God a tyrant? (If he exists)

None of it makes sense to me. The biblical god goes on a killing spree destroying his enemies and those evil children and babies- THEN, turns around and says how love should be extended to your enemies? *gulp* I can see where Elisha learned to "love" his enemies when he cursed the children and god answered his prayer with "love" sending the she bears out to kill them.

Are you saying because god can redeem them of sins- gives him the right to kill? If that's what you mean, I'm sorry but I kind of find that twisted.

Jenyar said:
Times have changed. What had been a sign of God's soveignity and justice had become a sign of weakness in your eyes. It's not a contradiction, it's an achievement. And how was this achieved? By accepting God's decree that love should extend even to your enemies. It's hypocritical to condemn the means from the perspective advantage of the end it has achieved.

You would do well to realize that like the tribe of Amalekites, the inhabitants of Jericho, Sodom and Gomorrah and Nineveh, the whole earth had been placed under the ban (charam) - set apart for destruction. Like a living flood, God used Israel as a force of nature. This was in contrast to the "gods" of Egypt He had turned into natural disasters (each of the ten plagues corresponds to an Egyptian deity). The artificial "innocence" you claim for children and babies won't save them. After sin had been judged, the earth won't be left populated by babies or "innocents", it would be empty if it weren't for the possibility of redemption.

One could just as easily say that what God "achieved" was the continuation of a religion, one that has, in turn, produced the Crusades and Inquisitions. As far as we're talking means versus ends (with the benefit of hindsight), let's take 9/11 or the recent bombing in Madrid. Both of these tragedies, though horrific, produced some interesting "achievements" so the speak (the heroism of the first responders (not to mention ordinary people), increased vigilance, awareness of a wider world community, the oppression of governments, failed foreign policies, etc.), so might we say the terrorists were really just people who used extreme measures (sound familiar?) to create a dramatic result?

The acts of the OT God are achievements in your eyes because they furthered some earthly mission of God's, protected the Jews, and showed his "soveignity" and "justice." You like to accuse us of viewing things through tainted, skeptical eyes, but you too are viewing events that must have been horrific to those involved with some kind of pretend authority as to their ultimate necessity (i.e., "The Bible says...."). And you're taking the word of those who perpetrated the acts at face value! Once again, I urge you to re-examine the one constant of history: rationalization of atrocity. Hitler, too, believed firmly in a cause - one he thought to be endorsed by God, in fact - and he committed atrocities that, in his eyes, were completely justifiable.

Would you take terrorists at their word? Dictators? Murderers? If not, why, I ask, do you make an exception for the supposed God of a 2000-year-old text? "Times have changed" is a poor excuse. If the social mores of a time period lend validity to the acts committed during that time period, then slavery was right in 1850, witch burning was right in the Dark Ages, and killing Jews was right in 1940's Germany. Wonderful how each time gets its own set of moral standards, huh?

I guess we're incredibly lucky that God so closely follows societal trends. :D

Josh

It's just a ride. - Bill Hicks

One could just as easily say that what God "achieved" was the continuation of a religion, one that has, in turn, produced the Crusades and Inquisitions. As far as we're talking means versus ends (with the benefit of hindsight), let's take 9/11 or the recent bombing in Madrid. Both of these tragedies, though horrific, produced some interesting "achievements" so the speak (the heroism of the first responders (not to mention ordinary people), increased vigilance, awareness of a wider world community, the oppression of governments, failed foreign policies, etc.), so might we say the terrorists were really just people who used extreme measures (sounds familiar?) to create a dramatic result?
Not quite. The terrorists tried to achieve disruption, fear and terror. Heroism and anything "good" that came out of it merely undermines that end. It merely emphasizes that love doesn't need ideal circumstances to thrive.

On the other hand, God promised justice; He promised He wouldn't tolerate immorality and injustice and He demonstrated the difference between His leadership and people's - the kind of responsibility involved with creating, maintaining and judging a planet can't rest on human shoulders because it would mean this kind of destruction.

It was a lesson those terrorists would have done well to heed. I wish it didn't also permit people to judge their saviour as well, but it seems it did. Like most human failings do, to those who don't actually believe in God. The achievement was that faith survived, that God could provide real comfort to the victims of sin, and that terrorism like the Amalekites practised only resurfaced as a real threat to civilization more than 3000 years later. I'd say we need God's promise to deliver the just now more than ever.

he acts of the OT God are achievements in your eyes because they furthered some earthly mission of God's, protected the Jews, and showed his "soveignity" and "justice." You like to accuse us of viewing things through tainted, skeptical eyes, but you too are viewing events that must have been horrific to those involved with some kind of pretend authority as to their ultimate necessity (i.e., "The Bible says...."). And you're taking the word of those who perpetrated the acts at face value! Once again, I urge you to re-examine the one constant of history: rationalization of atrocity. Hitler, too, believed firmly in a cause - one he thought to be endorsed by God, in fact - and he committed atrocities that, in his eyes, were completely justifiable.
The Amalekites had four hundred years to prevent the world having to sympathise with their demise. As Josephus reports in his Antiquities (Book III, ch.2):
These proceedings of the people of those countries occasioned perplexity and trouble to Moses, who expected no such warlike preparations. And when these nations were ready to fight, and the multitude of the Hebrews were obliged to try the fortune of war, they were in a mighty disorder, and in want of all necessaries, and yet were to make war with men who were thoroughly well prepared for it. Then therefore it was that Moses began to encourage them, and to exhort them to have a good heart, and rely on God's assistance by which they had been state of freedom and to hope for victory over those who were ready to fight with them, in order to deprive them of that blessing: that they were to suppose their own army to be numerous, wanting nothing, neither weapons, nor money, nor provisions, nor such other conveniences as, when men are in possession of, they fight undauntedly; and that they are to judge themselves to have all these advantages in the Divine assistance.
Velikovsky even proposed that the Israelites freed Egypt from the tyranny of the Hyksos with this decisive victory. (See also Ancient Sources and the Hyksos/Amu/Amalekites).

My point is that for it would be more accurate to equate Hitler with the Amalekites than with the Israelites. Israel has nothing to gain by rationalizing their victory. In fact, they only belittle themselves in the account! Would Hitler justify the holocaust by emphasizing that he lost the war? Israel, by their own admission, failed to destroy the Amalekites. In normal circumstances, taking a king captive was a great victory worthy of boast, yet Saul loses his kingship because of it. The account is described as a low point in Israelite history, something to be ashamed about: their first king was a failure. The whole chapter ends not with "and we celebrated God's victory over his enemies", but with "And the LORD was grieved that he had made Saul king over Israel.".

So they didn't justify the slaughter by appealing to divine sanctioning as you suggest. They make it clear that their victory is to be attributed to God, but that doesn't justify it - it only serves to condemn them. The main difference is probably humility. Hitler conquered out of pride, and could only have boasted about God's involvement because of his own success. Israel had no successes except the ambiguous honour of having been freed out of slavery against all odds.

Israel wasn't in any position of power, and there's a clear difference between the charam and a sustained and divinely sanctioned policy of terrorism.

heart said:
None of it makes sense to me. The biblical god goes on a killing spree destroying his enemies and those evil children and babies- THEN, turns around and says how love should be extended to your enemies? Are you saying because god can redeem them of sins- gives him the right to kill? If that's what you mean, I'm sorry but I kind of find that twisted.
You don't understand because you go out from the idea that we can just believe what we like as long as we can find a verse in the Bible that supports it. While it's true that some people will shoot someone just because they can get their hands on a gun, it's doesn't apply here for the simple reason that we may never forget God is the protagonist. The moment you forget that you shoot yourself in the foot - and then you can't blame Him for it. God made His judgment clear through Abraham, through Israel and finally through Christ. God judged the nations through Israel, in order to later judge the world through Christ. If you can't admit that Christ finalized God's plan for judgment and salvation, you're having the right argument with the wrong person.

God has no love for injustice.

But it's telling how you use the word kill. Have we been talking about different gods all along? Because I'm talking of the Creator of all life. He doesn't kill, He judges - and can take life just as He can give it. People kill - for glory, hatred, even out of love (euthanasia), but we cannot judge, because we have been judged ourselves.

Excuse me, but who is trying to justify killing for religious purposes here, you or me? I think it's time we get some perspective here. I believe in a just God, and therefore don't consider myself above judgment myself. You on the other hand, believe in no God, for if you truly believed in an unjust God, you wouldn't be arguing with me on principle, now would you? You've long ago abandoned the premises of the Bible "for the sake of argument".

For the record, here's my contribution: Christ died in the place of the Amalekites, at the hands of executioners God himself authorized by law, so that they (the Amalekites and all sinners alike) might be saved for eternal life, even though they sinned against Him. Had this not happened, we would all be fighting to establish ourselves, our own gods and our own kingdoms - whether physical or metaphysical - all by asserting our own moral authority. Isn't that what terrorists do, whether they call themselves "pacifists" or "Hammas"? Pitting their beliefs against each other in order to put the other party in the wrong. But it has happened, and we're all equally in the wrong before God.

Last edited:
heart said:
You're right, we both are entitled to our opinion. I'm just explaining that I cannot excuse brutal behavior- even if "god" is the one doing it. To blindly believe that he has a good motive for ordering children to be dashed to pieces in front of their parents eyes, for me, is kind of foolish. I don't think it is a good thing to just blindly believe, although I will confess I have done so before.
Given the situation... I can... it's not a blind belief... the key is not to blindly focus on one aspect of God's character... the God who doesn't take crap from you... Jesus didn't give you an excuse to "Oh sin when you want... God'll just forgive you if you ask.":)
Perhaps it's easy for you to condone and respect killing children and babies, which I might add are innocent, but I just can't. The alternative to following your biblical god or the alternative of him killing innocent lives?
The alternative to him taking innocent lives given the situation. Oh... and one other thing... Obviously you have tried to rationalise why God purportedly authorised these acts.... what reasons did you come up with? Give me a concise list if you may... please.
Okay, I shouldn't have used the word can't- instead I should have used the word shouldn't.
I might add you agreed that one shouldn't dismiss the fact that Joe Blow is a pedophile when it comes to him watching a child.
Of course not. Just make sure you expose him for what he is and don't leave you children alone with him.;) Try to equate that statement to a situation with God... who exists... and you have no choice but to believe in Him like you see the sun shining.;)
Wow- so you are saying it would be heartless to focus on the fact that Joe Blow is a pedophile especially if he is wants to baby sit children?
It is heartless to soley focus on one aspect of Joe Blow's character.
I guess it's easy to shut your eyes to that fact or try to rationalize it- for me it is a pretty big fact. I don't want to hang out with baby killers, why should I worship one? Like you said we both are entitled to our opinions.
Guess again... not everything that is possible is easy... Oh we definitely are... however irrational or rational they may be.

MarcAC said:
Oh we definitely are... however irrational or rational they may be.

Yeah, those crazy kooks who don't believe in pissed off invisible patriarchs in the sky are as irrational as they come. Imagine not believing that donkeys talk, people can suddenly turn to sodium chloride, and hair length can determine a man's physical strength! What loons!

Josh

You don't understand because you go out from the idea that we can just believe what we like as long as we can find a verse in the Bible that supports it. While it's true that some people will shoot someone just because they can get their hands on a gun, it's doesn't apply here for the simple reason that we may never forget God is the protagonist. The moment you forget that you shoot yourself in the foot - and then you can't blame Him for it. God made His judgment clear through Abraham, through Israel and finally through Christ. God judged the nations through Israel, in order to later judge the world through Christ. If you can't admit that Christ finalized God's plan for judgment and salvation, you're having the right argument with the wrong person.

While I mean no disrespect, Jenyar, I find the very idea that (what is supposed to be) THE God, would require the sacrifice of his only begotten son in order to satisfy him enough to pay the price for our wrong doings aka sin, insane.

The very thought of it is repulsive. An all powerful god, in order for his satisfaction to be met, needs blood. Animal sacrifices weren't enough for him anymore- he needed the blood of his son. Talk about messed up!

The truth is, Jenyar, that an all powerful god didn't need this, he wanted it. The route he chose to "redeem" others was nothing but violent- it didn't have to be though. He could have used any other means but he didn't. Yet, this is suppose to be a precious thing god did for the "sinners".

But it's telling how you use the word kill. Have we been talking about different gods all along? Because I'm talking of the Creator of all life. He doesn't kill, He judges - and can take life just as He can give it. People kill - for glory, hatred, even out of love (euthanasia), but we cannot judge, because we have been judged ourselves.

It is my opinion that anyone who floods the world in order to "take the lives" of every man, woman, child, baby, and let's not forget the animals (why kill them? shit!) because they were all evil??? (I find it hard to believe children and babies were wicked) Well, except one family, orders children to be dashed into pieces before their parents eyes, or someone who "takes a life" of another just because they touched an object they weren't suppose to, or someone who when asked helps off children because they made fun and mocked a man, or someone who "takes the life" of a husband and wife because they had lied before god about keeping money of property they sold (so much for judging through the eyes of Jesus, huh) etc.. (I don't have the time to go on and on , but I think you get the picture)- is ABUSING their power to judge. I do believe that a true and loving God would be above such barbaric acts.

For the record, here's my contribution: Christ died in the place of the Amalekites, at the hands of executioners God himself authorized by law, so that they (the Amalekites and all sinners alike) might be saved for eternal life, even though they sinned against Him. Had this not happened, we would all be fighting to establish ourselves, our own gods and our own kingdoms - whether physical or metaphysical - all by asserting our own moral authority. Isn't that what terrorists do, whether they call themselves "pacifists" or "Hammas"? Pitting their beliefs against each other in order to put the other party in the wrong. But it has happened, and we're all equally in the wrong before God.

If your god hadn't created hell and the concept of sin, there wouldn't be a need for all this bloodshed he had so desired. Had he really truly desired for all to live in heaven, then this life on earth would simply be a place to learn from our experiences without the threat/promise of hell.

JustARide said:
Yeah, those crazy kooks who don't believe in pissed off invisible patriarchs in the sky are as irrational as they come.
Well whatever exactly you refer to here... if you say so... I didn't... and don't share your opinion.
Imagine not believing that donkeys talk, people can suddenly turn to sodium chloride, and hair length can determine a man's physical strength! What loons!
I'm not God, therefore I'm not one to say what is possible or impossible. Mind you if you believe that hair length is the source of your strength and your hair is long, then indeed, you might feel and thus be strong... all because your hair is long. I dreamt of a talking dog once too.;)

One of the most interesting things I notice about some critics is that they will destructively criticise down to the bone cell > amino acids > proteins > atoms... but you can neeeever ask for alternatives.:p That's another revealing thing.:)

Last edited:
I'm not God, therefore I'm not one to say what is possible or impossible. Mind you if you believe that hair length is the source of your strength and your hair is long, then indeed, you might feel and thus be strong... all because your hair is long. I dreamt of a talking dog once too.

There were many who believed in Santa too- and there was proof he had visited their home by all the packages he left under the tree. Many might have believed in him, however, this belief didn't make him real- all there had ever been was the illusion.

MarcAC said:
One of the most interesting things I notice about some critics is that they will destructively criticise down to the bone cell > amino acids > proteins > atoms... but you can neeeever ask for alternatives.:p That's another revealing thing.:)

What's the alternative to killing? Umm maybe NOT to kill?

MarcAC said:
Well whatever exactly you refer to here... if you say so... I didn't... and don't share your opinion. I'm not God, therefore I'm not one to say what is possible or impossible. Mind you if you believe that hair length is the source of your strength and your hair is long, then indeed, you might feel and thus be strong... all because your hair is long. I dreamt of a talking dog once too.;)

Right. Dreams are odd things. Believing them is another matter entirely. I just find it funny when religious folk accuse (or in this case, imply) nonbelievers are somehow irrational for not accepting what, in any other circumstance, would be considered pure fantasy.

Perhaps one day an alien race will discover J.R.R. Tolkein's writings and they will deduce, simply from the sheer length, complexity, the invented languages, and seeming consistency of the universe he created for Lord of the Rings, that elves and hobbits must have once existed. That's the funny thing about recorded history (or fiction); since it is, considering the currently unlikely nature of time travel, impossible to verify and therefore, easier to believe. I can say giant turtles once ruled the world and performed miracles long before the dinosaurs and believe that assertion on faith - and the great thing is, I never have to really prove it. People will ask, "Well, where are the giant turtles and their miracles now?" and I can conveniently answer, "Oh, God decided to make the turles smaller and non-miraculous now." Case closed.

One of the most interesting things I notice about some critics is that they will destructively criticise down to the bone cell > amino acids > proteins > atoms... but you can neeeever ask for alternatives. That's another revealing thing.

Tell me, since we're so unaccepting of alternatives, what alternatives to your own faith are you prepared to accept?

I have been a Christian, a pantheist, an atheist, and an agnostic. I'm no stranger to change. I have actually admitted to the possibility that I could be wrong (effectively opening myself to the alternatives you are suggesting, even if I do not currently accept them as likely true). However, I have seen no sign that you are prepared to do even that, so I suggest you stop complaining about the inability of others to entertain alternatives until you can muster the will to admit your own fallibility in matters of religion. It's a tad hypocritical to suggest that nonbelievers who have a headstrong, unyielding faith in their position are somehow at fault, while your headstrong, unyielding faith is admirable.

Josh

Last edited:
heart said:
While I mean no disrespect, Jenyar, I find the very idea that (what is supposed to be) THE God, would require the sacrifice of his only begotten son in order to satisfy him enough to pay the price for our wrong doings aka sin, insane.

The very thought of it is repulsive. An all powerful god, in order for his satisfaction to be met, needs blood. Animal sacrifices weren't enough for him anymore- he needed the blood of his son. Talk about messed up!
I can't believe someone could have it so wrong! God demands nothing less than justice. Everybody who rejected God since creation were supposed to be carrying that cross. Not to satisfy God's bloodlust, but to satisfy nature. That cross represents everything that is wrong with the world: everything God hates. Everything we would ever do from our fallen state would only be an attempt to compensate for that. That Jesus would take it up and be rejected by everthing that's moral, just and loving in the world was an incredible sacrifice. But why would He make it if it wasn't for our benefit?

Because what could God possibly gain by it if it wasn't our love - more than that: our lives? If He was only interested in suffering, why suffer for us and with us?

The truth is, Jenyar, that an all powerful god didn't need this, he wanted it. The route he chose to "redeem" others was nothing but violent- it didn't have to be though. He could have used any other means but he didn't. Yet, this is suppose to be a precious thing god did for the "sinners".
The truth is, Heart, that we needed it. Actually, we demanded it. It wasn't God that demanded His son's death, it was the law - the very same laws He gave to prevent that sort of thing. What happened to Jesus was morally, legally and ethically wrong. That's why we say what Jesus did was a sacrifice. Injustice would always have prevailed over justice if God didn't decide to turn the tables, and condemn even what we call "justice". He made every man a liar, so that nobody could be "right" anymore - only one: Jesus. He was justified, and if we repent (admit that it we are on the wrong side of God, never mind justice), we admit that God is right, and we are redeemed. You have to ask yourself: are you the one flogging God, or are you the one helping Him carry that cross?

It is my opinion that anyone who floods the world in order to "take the lives" of every man, woman, child, baby, and let's not forget the animals (why kill them? shit!) because they were all evil??? (I find it hard to believe children and babies were wicked) Well, except one family, orders children to be dashed into pieces before their parents eyes, or someone who "takes a life" of another just because they touched an object they weren't suppose to, or someone who when asked helps off children because they made fun and mocked a man, or someone who "takes the life" of a husband and wife because they had lied before god about keeping money of property they sold (so much for judging through the eyes of Jesus, huh) etc.. (I don't have the time to go on and on , but I think you get the picture)- is ABUSING their power to judge. I do believe that a true and loving God would be above such barbaric acts.
The Old Testament was a "natural" book - it reflected the outlook people had on life and God. That included seeing natural disasters as God's judgement, for better or worse. Apparently, the survivors came to the conclusion that everybody who died was somehow judged, and who would God judge but evil? We, on the other hadn, know that God judged evil and not people - evil (attributed to large masses of water, check your ancient sources if you don't believe me) held sway over the earth, but God held sway over people. Can you see where this is leading to? God could save anybody from evil, but evil would still swallow the earth if people let it.

Now my question to you is: why would you let yourself be drowned, murdered, killed and crucified before you would admit only God can save you?

If your god hadn't created hell and the concept of sin, there wouldn't be a need for all this bloodshed he had so desired. Had he really truly desired for all to live in heaven, then this life on earth would simply be a place to learn from our experiences without the threat/promise of hell.
"The concept of sin". Please, could you be more specific? You mean, if He didn't tell us what was wrong with the world, we could have stayed blissfully ignorant? But, wouldn't that mean He supported injustice?

His desire wasn't for us to live in heaven - it was for us to live on earth! We are where we're supposed to be, but it's all gone to the birds because we continue cutting our own throats. There are two ways to approach this life: curse God and die (Job 2:9 - your option, apparently) or to accept that He did everything that was necessary that we shouldn't have to.

I can't believe someone could have it so wrong! God demands nothing less than justice. Everybody who rejected God since creation were supposed to be carrying that cross. Not to satisfy God's bloodlust, but to satisfy nature. That cross represents everything that is wrong with the world: everything God hates. Everything we would ever do from our fallen state would only be an attempt to compensate for that. That Jesus would take it up and be rejected by everthing that's moral, just and loving in the world was an incredible sacrifice. But why would He make it if it wasn't for our benefit?

Because what could God possibly gain by it if it wasn't our love - more than that: our lives? If He was only interested in suffering, why suffer for us and with us?

Who was the one who made these spiritual laws? Who was the one who created hell? God, right? My point is, Jenyar, that he could have designed it so that no one is punished for eternity. That life as we know it be a place where people can grow learn from their experiences. Kind of like school, what you put in is what you get out of it type of thing. He didn't. Instead his ways/laws/justice brought violence.

The truth is, Heart, that we needed it. Actually, we demanded it. It wasn't God that demanded His son's death, it was the law - the very same laws He gave to prevent that sort of thing. What happened to Jesus was morally, legally and ethically wrong. That's why we say what Jesus did was a sacrifice. Injustice would always have prevailed over justice if God didn't decide to turn the tables, and condemn even what we call "justice". He made every man a liar, so that nobody could be "right" anymore - only one: Jesus. He was justified, and if we repent (admit that it we are on the wrong side of God, never mind justice), we admit that God is right, and we are redeemed. You have to ask yourself: are you the one flogging God, or are you the one helping Him carry that cross?

Whose law, Jenyar? Who/what decided that the death of Jesus was the only way to save others?

The Old Testament was a "natural" book - it reflected the outlook people had on life and God. That included seeing natural disasters as God's judgement, for better or worse. Apparently, the survivors came to the conclusion that everybody who died was somehow judged, and who would God judge but evil? We, on the other hadn, know that God judged evil and not people - evil (attributed to large masses of water, check your ancient sources if you don't believe me) held sway over the earth, but God held sway over people. Can you see where this is leading to? God could save anybody from evil, but evil would still swallow the earth if people let it.

Are you saying that the OT was nothing more than an interpretation of how people viewed natural disasters and such? Meaning the story Noah related was not necessarily true? If so, how do you know the same isn't that way for the NT as well?

I'm at work so my time is short- later

heart said:
Who was the one who made these spiritual laws? Who was the one who created hell? God, right? My point is, Jenyar, that he could have designed it so that no one is punished for eternity. That life as we know it be a place where people can grow learn from their experiences. Kind of like school, what you put in is what you get out of it type of thing. He didn't. Instead his ways/laws/justice brought violence.
The only way I can think of is for God to have created us static: no love but the love He has given us, no obedience but the obedience he programmed us with - no cliffs that we could fall off. In short, suspended us in mid-air surrounded by walls for our protection, with no possibility that we would ever fall under His judgement. Or in other words: as far as possible from His presence and judgment. Instead, He provided the theory for such walls: his Word, should we ever wonder where we stand with Him. What Moses & co. called his Laws, enabling us to predict what His judgment "would have been". Kind of like a school.

If you look closely you can see that the further and further humanity did move towards "safety" from God's judgement, the more it needed to compensate for the lack of His presence and comforts. More and more laws, more and more injustice, and more laws to compensate. The alternative is of course, no laws, but that's just the next step away from God, and one more step towards total chaos.

Our ways brought violence and injustice, His laws only exposed them. The evidence is all around you: there is violence and corruption among religious and secular alike. It exists independently of God's will - far from His presence. Otherwise only the religious would still be violent, and only the secular would have presumed to teach morality.

Whose law, Jenyar? Who/what decided that the death of Jesus was the only way to save others?
If we believe Jesus' own words: He decided that his sacrifice was necessary in accordance to God's will. He believed it alone would be sufficient to compensate for the rift between God and his creation. We were separated from God with no way of ever becoming reconciled, and without reconciliation we would be lost when He judged evil. Evil filled the void that was left when people rejected God. What we call "temptation" is the natural order of things: the osmosis of will from a high concentration to a lower - from God towards anything else. From the direction of the flow might seem to be coming from God, but that's only because it's flowing away from Him towards destruction.

Because nobody really ever commits "evil", do they? They simply do what seems natural, they just take the next logical step from wherever they find themselves. So whenever a situation arises, we see where it takes us - and we steer it towards our own benefit if we can. But God has decided to cut off what is dying, and our little river is leading towards a waterfall that has no bottom. Maybe the ancients were more correct than we realized, when they thought the earth was flat...

So when we dismiss those of God's laws that just get in our way, we might be pushing away sticks thrust out from the banks to pull us out. They're just signs of a final "judgment": where our last options have run out.

Are you saying that the OT was nothing more than an interpretation of how people viewed natural disasters and such? Meaning the story Noah related was not necessarily true? If so, how do you know the same isn't that way for the NT as well?
Not "nothing more", those are your words. It's certainly part of it, but like I said: even the notion of a flat earth could have more spiritual truth than the "natural" truth. "Truth, what is truth?", Pilate asked... The story of Noah was certainly true, but maybe not in the purely historical way as we understand it in the 19th century Von Rankean "scientific" sense. What more could a man wish for in the face of impending disaster than God's helping hands? In their worldview, the natural world just blended with the spiritual world in a way that's sometimes hard for us to separate (and we only disect them for the sake of academic interest - science to explain the scientific, religion to explain the facts pertaining to faith). The culmination of these two worldviews came through the minds of philosophers like Plato. They were the "scientists" of the day. The New Testament contains both natural and spiritual aspects, but its authors emphasized the spiritual meaning. It no longer sought to explain the world as much as to explain how God's interaction with it affects us.

I can give you an example: Where Jesus calms the storm, Mark simply tells it as a storyteller or eyewitness would. He relates impressions and details, like other boats in the harbour, and Jesus sleeping on a cushion. Then he says a great squall comes up, using the common Greek word Lailaps for a tempest, which threatens to swamp the boat.

Matthew, on the other hand, leaves out unneccesary details. He uses the word Seismos for "storm" instead, which had spiritual connotations of the gods shaking the earth. Water was the domain of the forces of chaos (which is why great serpents were supposed to inhabit the oceans). And the waves don't just break over the boat [Gr. epiballo), they obscure it at times (Gr. kalupto). When Jesus calmed the storm, he did more than just perform a miracle - he actively subjects the demons and gods that were thought active in the world. In Mark, Jesus calms the storm first and then speaks to his disciples, but in Matthew's version Jesus is asking them why they are afraid while the storm is still raging! His point is that we're also in a spiritual boat with Jesus - at times we can see where we are and other times not. But a boat that has Jesus on it doesn't need to fear storms or other forces. He has asserted God's power, even over death.

Merely reporting what happened in the true historical sense doesn't do justice to the significant truth: what it means for us. In the OT, people could not understand why the world didn't work according to the laws they thought applied to it - but they believed it out of faith. Surely the good should prosper and then foolish not? The NT no longer promises good crops and large families as rewards for being faithful - it shows how God makes those promises realistic - how He justifies that faith.

Last edited:
JustARide said:
Right. Dreams are odd things. Believing them is another matter entirely. I just find it funny when religious folk accuse (or in this case, imply) nonbelievers are somehow irrational for not accepting what, in any other circumstance, would be considered pure fantasy.
I'm really not implying that you know. I'm just stating the facts as I see them. You see the implications.

Perhaps one day an alien race will discover J.R.R. Tolkein's writings and they will deduce, simply from the sheer length, complexity, the invented languages, and seeming consistency of the universe he created for Lord of the Rings, that elves and hobbits must have once existed. That's the funny thing about recorded history (or fiction); since it is, considering the currently unlikely nature of time travel, impossible to verify and therefore, easier to believe. I can say giant turtles once ruled the world and performed miracles long before the dinosaurs and believe that assertion on faith - and the great thing is, I never have to really prove it. People will ask, "Well, where are the giant turtles and their miracles now?" and I can conveniently answer, "Oh, God decided to make the turles smaller and non-miraculous now." Case closed.
So we are at the next stage... Faith is nothing without supporting evidence that you can accept. If you see sufficient evidence of diosaurs or giant turtles that you can accept... so be it.... you accept it through your faith.
Tell me, since we're so unaccepting of alternatives, what alternatives to your own faith are you prepared to accept?
You don't get me... I simply asked Heart what is the alternative given the situation to killing. Heart's response... NOT to kill. *Said with a straight face* It's good to know I can make people laugh though... and rolling on the floor and stuff... not bad. I'll just remain happy that I made Heart laugh... or so it appears...

Later... HHHHHHHHHHick Guy. Ass Cracker can work... as opposed to... A Christian...;)

MarcAC said:
You don't get me... I simply asked Heart what is the alternative given the situation to killing. Heart's response... NOT to kill. *Said with a straight face*

Well, is that an alternative or not? I'm willing to bet if the Bible depicted Jesus suddenly lashing out and maybe killing a couple of the moneychangers you would have some scripture or arcane belief to explain why it was necessary. It's called rationalization - and the Bible is full of it. If you want a modern example, read just about anything the Bush White House puts out. You'll get the idea. Nothing is ever anything other than what it had to be. (Diagram that one. :D )

MarcAC said:
It's good to know I can make people laugh though... and rolling on the floor and stuff... not bad. I'll just remain happy that I made Heart laugh... or so it appears...

Indeed, Christians are incredibly funny - usually unintentionally, but funny nonetheless. Kill 10,000 Iraqi civilians and they don't bat an eye. Put a breast on TV for a pico-second and they fly into moral rage. Imply that artists may have valid reasons for including violence or nudity in their art and you're an evil secular humanist. Show Jesus being beaten into a bloody, pulverized mass of muscle and tissue for two hours and it's "Quick, honey! Get the kids!" Fundies, I find, tend more toward a darker brand of humor... like claiming to be "pro-life" but also "pro-gun" and "pro-murder" (only abortion doctors and an occasional civil rights leader, of course). It's that wholesome lack of irony that really drives the comedy.

MarcAC said:
Later... HHHHHHHHHHick Guy. Ass Cracker can work... as opposed to... A Christian...;)

I'm thinking I like Ass Clown better. How does that grab ya?

So, does the AC really stand for "A Christian"? Boy, you're one creative motherfucker!

Ciao, bro.

Josh

Last edited:
i haven't been round for ages and am surprsied this logon still exists (and excuse me for butting in), but:

Is god a tyrant?

plain and simple can we hear a collective hell yes. i never thought of god as hegemonic but it's actually a brilliant way of thinking about it. and in justification for me calling for a hell yes, all i ask myself is this, "who would create a being with insufficient capacity to reason through that what he was doing was wrong?". that is then followed by, "why was the creator of that being so affronted by the unknowing act?". which is then followed by, "is the creator a dumbass?", and i can only assume that he most likely is.

in all seriousness though, why persecute everyone of that beings lineage with the threat of eternal damnation when the creator claims to be kind and caring? unless of course that being and all its offspring for eternity devotes itself to worshipping the creator. it doesn't make an ounce of sense. to continue on the story, offspring beings claim that the creator gave the original being free will, but free will without a moral conciousness does not meet my understanding of free will. the original being didn't have complete free will, it was not created with a 100%, money back guaruntee (scuse the spelling) free will.

all in all it's been to long since i last posted for me to get my thoughts down properly without sounding like an excited child who can't verbalize his sentences because he's rushing to get everything out at once. hope this is coherent (again spelling), but whatever. i might be back from the wilderness but i don't think anyone here could care less :p

Back