Is G-d real, a figment of our imagination, or both?

Is G-d real, a figment of our imagination, both, or none

• real

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • figment of our imagination

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • both

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • none

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
I opted for both; I believe God is everything; therefore, he is both real -and- a figment of our imaginations (our imaginations are still part of everything ;-)). I also don't really care if people say they 'believe' in God; it's just a word. The most important thing is if they believe in something (something being part of everything, in my view, they still believe in atleast a part of God).

Something else to think about: what is real?

I personally view 2 types of realities; consensual reality, which you could call to be the most real, and personal reality, which while not as real, has strong local effects (I begin to think of things like the forces of gravity, strong and weak forces for some reason).

I also think that the more something affects us, the more real it is; this works in both for both the macro and the micro realities.

Using this logic, a dream can be far more 'real' then one's every day life. I remember a time when I prefered my dreaming hours to my actual waking ones. And I still consider certain dreams I remember to be very meaningful. I also believe that I unconsciously forget other dreams because at times consciously knowing too much can be too much to handle.

I'm a very open man with the people I'm close to, so my dreams are the final holdout for any secrets; I feel they speak of what truly is (as opposed to how things appear) and what may one day be and how both of those things tend to play with each other (patterns getting stronger until they become the official 'reality'; present dreams becoming future reality).

Reposted from a PM, to show how little fedr808 grasps things;

phlogistician said:
Isn't using G-d for God just another name, and therefore self defeating?"

fedr808 said:
Umm no, it is not another name it is the name of G-d.

fedr808, that was my point entirely. You replace the label God, with G-d. G-d becomes a new name for God. You defeat yourself, because you are are not allowed to use the name of God, be it God, G-d, YHWH, or 'Tetragrammaton', they are all labels, and names, for the same thing! The practice is therefore utterly self defeating.

If you can't see this, it's pointless carrying on discussion with you.

In fact the only things you can do to solve your dilemma are: make sure it never gets destroyed (not going to happen), don't talk about God, stop with the silly rule.

Reposted from a PM, to show how little fedr808 grasps things;

fedr808, that was my point entirely. You replace the label God, with G-d. G-d becomes a new name for God. You defeat yourself, because you are are not allowed to use the name of God, be it God, G-d, YHWH, or 'Tetragrammaton', they are all labels, and names, for the same thing! The practice is therefore utterly self defeating.

If you can't see this, it's pointless carrying on discussion with you.

Yeah i said that. Was it really too compicated for you to understand?

Yeah i said that. Was it really too compicated for you to understand?

You clearly do not understand the implication! You say you cannot use the name 'God', so use 'G-d' instead, which becomes a name for God, and you are not allowed to use the name for God, so cannot therefore use G-d either, and it NEVER ENDS.

Are you really that thick you can't see this?

Reposted from another PM.

fedr808 said:
phlogistician said:
fedr808 said:
No the assertion that you are insecure with the idea that people can and will disagree with you, and that you have to insult them until the point they have to agree with you.

Here's the thing. You have the faith you do, because you disagree with all other world religions. I just go one further, and disagree with all of them, yours included. You are insecure, because you cling to faith, where I need none. I have not insulted YOU, but I have called empty religious practices bullshit. If you can't see the difference, you need to take a step back, and look at it with fresh eyes.

If you were secure in your faith, you wouldn't need to ask questions here, you'd be content.

Wow, you know what you should start the atheist kkk.

Seems fedr808 really doesn't understand what is going on here at all. Oh, and when he's run out of arguments, starts spouting spurious bullshit.

Reposted from another PM.

Seems fedr808 really doesn't understand what is going on here at all. Oh, and when he's run out of arguments, starts spouting spurious bullshit.

wow, well i have to say i can't deny what i said. You would make a great atheist kkk. do yuo know what pm even stands for?

wow, well i have to say i can't deny what i said. You would make a great atheist kkk. do yuo know what pm even stands for?

If I choose to publicise a PM, that's my choice. You don't get to say stupid things and get away with it, just because it's a PM.

BTW, I'm now going to report you for making a slur against me and calling me racist. Good day.

wow, im scared. you called my religion bs, all religion bs. Called me ignorant, tons of other stuff. Insult every person whom has posted something other than what you believe in, heck you could even make an atheist bible, or encyclopedia. so take it like a man/woman/other. probably other. quite frankly that was a personal insult not a rascial slur, a slur is like all atheists are retarded because that is insulting all atheists and is a slur, and is not true. Not that i believe it. So reporting me for a rascial slur is false. Adn you ARE racist get over it or stop.

wow, im scared. you called my religion bs, all religion bs. Called me ignorant, tons of other stuff. Insult every person whom has posted something other than what you believe in, heck you could even make an atheist bible, or encyclopedia. so take it like a man/woman/other. probably other. quite frankly that was a personal insult not a rascial slur, a slur is like all atheists are retarded because that is insulting all atheists and is a slur, and is not true. Not that i believe it. So reporting me for a rascial slur is false. Adn you ARE racist get over it or stop.

How am I racist? Quote or be damned.

'Atheist bible', er, the antithesis of atheism there, I think, do you not understand what atheism is? Oh, and please tell me what you think I believe in, you have said I;

Insult every person whom has posted something other than what you believe in

It's not about people having beliefs different to mine, my beliefs don't enter into it, but people holding beliefs which are unfounded, anachronistic, unjustifiable, and now merely exists as part of empty ritual. It's got nothing to do with what I believe, but the practices of an empty, obsolete religion.

And yes, I called all religions bullshit, including yours. You think strapping phylacteries to your forehead is to be taken seriously?

Oh, and where have I called you 'ignorant'? I can't see it.

Last edited:
phlogistician said:
I knew you were young, your naivety shone through your prose like a beacon.
I called your religion bullshit, because ALL religion is bullshit, so grow the fuck up.
Once you've sicked up all the rhetoric and scripture, and perhaps have an original though, get back to me.
You are insecure, because you cling to faith, where I need none. I have not insulted YOU, but I have called empty religious practices bullshit. If you can't see the difference, you need to take a step back, and look at it with fresh eyes.

Your very colorful with your pm's aren't you? Unlike you the gloves come off for me when they must.

So what don't you get in that or do you need me to break out a thesoraus.

Your very colorful with your pm's aren't you? Unlike you the gloves come off for me when they must.

I didn't use the word 'ignorant' anywhere. You have failed to prove your assertion.

You haven't shown where I used racist terminology.

You have failed.

u used naivety, you called all religions bull shit etc.

Back