Is Faith Blind?

-=-

Many (most?) view life as evidence of gods. Many view the order & "design" of the universe as evidence of gods. Most view existence of morality as evidence of gods. Most view souls as evidence of gods.
That's all logical evidence that they're blind to reason.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that evolution is evidence of gods.
Someone in another thread just said the definition of god is proof of the existence of god.

You're right, and I'm probably trying to give the term "blind" too narrow a definition, but I do think it's a bit misleading to call it blind faith. The faith itself, I don't think, is blind. I think their inability and/or unwillingness (inability, more likely) to weigh the evidences and see the actual truth makes them blind from our perspective...but in their little world, they have evidence.

i don't. that's why i don't consider myself to be religious, although truth in scriptures has been shown to me through experience.

Oh, you'd be the only one who doesn't consider you religious. I've spoken with you, and you're no more interested in reality than most religious folks.

Oh, you'd be the only one who doesn't consider you religious. I've spoken with you, and you're no more interested in reality than most religious folks.

that's your apparently biased opinion and nothing else. nothing i have ever testified to here on this forum even hints at a religious indoctrination. quite the opposite actually. but lots of people believe what they want to believe contrary to fact or honest testimony because it serves their agenda. kudos to your agenda and your ego.

nothing i have ever testified to here on this forum even hints at a religious indoctrination.

Theists, who have been indoctrinated, don't usually know the difference between indoctrination and teaching.

Almost everything Lori writes is a testament to her indoctrination. However, Lori also believes she has conversations with her god which would lead one to conclude there is some schizophrenia involved as well.

that's your apparently biased opinion and nothing else. nothing i have ever testified to here on this forum even hints at a religious indoctrination. quite the opposite actually. but lots of people believe what they want to believe contrary to fact or honest testimony because it serves their agenda. kudos to your agenda and your ego.

Uh, wrong.

But I'm not here to attack you. You offered up an inaccurate portrayal of yourself, and I corrected it. That's all.

wow. so you know the "real" me huh? better than i do, is that correct? well, your arrogance is astounding and self-serving...and entirely wrong.

wow. so you know the "real" me huh? better than i do, is that correct? well, your arrogance is astounding and self-serving...and entirely wrong.

Obviously I can only go by what you post here, Lori. It's not a personal attack, so your personal attacks in return are pointless.

It is interesting how when confronted with someone else's image of you, your first instinct is to insult, though.

as i stated before, your image of me is not based on anything i've posted out here. we're discussing religion, and i am not religious. my beliefs are based in experience, and because it's convenient for you, as it fits your paradigm, you lump me in with the religious. it's wrong. i don't practice a religion. i react to my experiences, none of which have involved religion. i actually have no desire to participate in any religion.

i ask you jdawg, what is closer to reality than experience?

as i stated before, your image of me is not based on anything i've posted out here. we're discussing religion, and i am not religious. my beliefs are based in experience, and because it's convenient for you, as it fits your paradigm, you lump me in with the religious. it's wrong. i don't practice a religion. i react to my experiences, none of which have involved religion. i actually have no desire to participate in any religion.

OK, I'm telling you that I see it differently. As do others here, I'm sure.

Faith cannot be any kind of logic. No logic is difficult to explain. Logic is simple.
ahh come on stranger, what is faith based on then? cosmic luck?
and by faith i don't mean religious faith, i mean it in general..

How do you "know" a person is lying?
in the same way you hate someone or feel comfortable towards him on first sight..

in the same way love works..

in the same way intuition or hunches or experience work...something like sixth senses(?)..
there are numerous logical "threads" which make you reach a point wihout you being able to trace them all..

the human brain is better at reaching conclusions than explaining them.

... that is what my faith in god is based upon.

Incorrect.
Faith by definition, cannot be 'based upon' anything.

take a look around. are you in the same world that i am? do you not see violence and damnation everywhere? the destructive power of which keeps getting greater, and greater, and greater...

Exactly.

Ever had faith in a person? Knew them, could identify them, describe them, trusted them? What's that based on?

Past history.

And that wouldn't be faith.
Again, faith, by definition, is not based upon evidence...

The fallacy being committed here is one of equivocation. Many English words have multiple, sometimes contradictory meanings. "Faith," is one of those words.

Faith: [religious] a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; an institution to express belief in a divine power;
[non-religious] complete confidence in a person or plan etc; loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person.

Religious people can, of course, have non-religious faith, even about their religion. But faith in the supernatural or faith surrounding the superstitious is unreasoned and irrational and falls in the first definition.

This is one of those words, like "believe," that the superstitious like to use when arguing (albeit fallaciously) with the rational. Equivocating terms is a popular, and probably unconscious, act among the superstitious.

I have faith in a great many people, but that faith is based on my knowledge and experience with and about the individual whom I have empirical observation of.

The fallacy being committed here is one of equivocation. Many English words have multiple, sometimes contradictory meanings. "Faith," is one of those words.

Faith: [religious] a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; an institution to express belief in a divine power;
[non-religious] complete confidence in a person or plan etc; loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person.

Religious people can, of course, have non-religious faith, even about their religion. But faith in the supernatural or faith surrounding the superstitious is unreasoned and irrational and falls in the first definition.

This is one of those words, like "believe," that the superstitious like to use when arguing (albeit fallaciously) with the rational. Equivocating terms is a popular, and probably unconscious, act among the superstitious.

I have faith in a great many people, but that faith is based on my knowledge and experience with and about the individual whom I have empirical observation of.

If I have actually experienced the supernatural (which I don't like that word because nothing is supernatural, only undefined), then to me those definitions are one in the same. Replace the word person with god.

Then there are only two possible explanations:

1), you're misusing the term "faith"
2), you've created your own language where "faith" means something to you that it does not to the rest of the world.

In either case, you're wrong.

Back