Is eating meat morally wrong

madanthonywayne said:
What is pain? A subjective interpretation of stimuli induced by damage to one's body? The abillty to percieve such stimuli should determine who has rights? So if we inject animals with numbing medication before killing them, is it OK then? Also, does a quadripeligic have fewer rights because he can not feel pain below the neck?
It's not just the pain they suffer upon death, it's also the pain they suffer in life, as they are abused for their meat, fur, etc.

James R said:
You're essentially saying that just because one individual is a member of a particular species and another is not, one individual should have basic rights and the other have none.
The same argument when applied to groups of human beings leads to racism, sexism, homophobia and so on. Do you advocate those? If not, why are you so keen on that other -ism - speciesism?
Because the other "ism's" equate some groups of humans with animals, which is wrong. To quote Thomas Jefferson:
We hold these truths to be self evident. That all men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights...

All men are created equal. To treat them as otherwise is wrong. But animals are not men, they do not have the ability to enter into a social contract whereby we respect their rights and they'll respect ours. Animals live by the law of the jungle. Dog eat dog. When dealing with them, we should follow the same rules.
I didn't say they were morally equal. I might well choose to save the human in that situation.
You might! You'd have to consider the decision, I see. I hope my Down's syndrome son is never in a situation where he requires your assistance. At least not if there's a cow nearby that requires similiar assistance.

madanthonywayne:

Because the other "ism's" equate some groups of humans with animals, which is wrong.

It is not necessary to "equate" humans and non-humans for all purposes. But can you give a good (non-selfish) reason for denying non-humans a basic right to life that we give all humans.

To quote Thomas Jefferson:

We hold these truths to be self evident. That all men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights...

You realise, of course, that when Tom said "all men" he was excluding women. He wasn't protesting for women's rights to vote, for example.

We've moved on a little from Jefferson's time. We've widened the moral circle of beings which we consider to be morally equal for various purposes. These days, we think slavery and sexism are wrong. And the enlightened ones among us think homosexuals ought to have the same rights as heterosexuals. And gradually, people are coming around to the idea that we ought to include non-human animals in the moral circle, too.

Start living in the 21st century rather than the 19th.

Animals live by the law of the jungle. Dog eat dog. When dealing with them, we should follow the same rules.

Why? Don't you think you're on a higher moral plane? Doesn't that mean you should set an example for others?

madanthonywayne said:
Thomas Jefferson:

All men are created equal. To treat them as otherwise is wrong. But animals are not men, they do not have the ability to enter into a social contract whereby we respect their rights and they'll respect ours. Animals live by the law of the jungle. Dog eat dog. When dealing with them, we should follow the same rules.

Are you serious? What do you mean by equal? If you're talking about basic human rights then that depends on the society you're born into.
What rules of the jungle? Show me how the meat industry (or any industry that uses animals) follows the rules of the jungle! :p

Theoryofrelativity said:
I found these words in another thread and it made think.

"you think eating animals is morally wrong......."

Given nature and the prey predator relationships that exist throughout it I was wondering when the act of killing other animals for food becomes a moral issue.

Do we think of morals when considering a lion killing a deer to eat?
If not why not?

When and why does humans killing animals to eat become a moral issue if at all?

What is it about our relationships with animals and how we view ourselves in relation to animals that dictates we should (if we should) take a 'moral' view?

Killing is only morally right, when done in self defense or for survival. I think humans do need meat, or types of protien for survival, however we do have other options besides mammals. We have fish such as sharks and whales we could eat. We have insects we could eat. We have a vast array of protien sources to choose from that would more ethical to consume as well as more efficient for the eco-system.

I think the animals we should not be eating are the animals which eat grass all day, why exactly do we hunt deer and cow when deer and cow does not hunt other animals, but animals which hunt other animals, we protect?

I think people are more prone to eat meat at this point for cultural not moral or rational reasons. If we developed the technlogy to eat bacteria, mushrooms and other sources of animal free protien I think that would be the most ethical solution. The next best solution would be to hunt in a rational eco-friendly way, so we'd have to change our eating habits seasonally, and eat whale for a while, shark for a while, cats and dogs for a while, and just cycle through the different species.

I think however we should hunt and eat in specific the species that are most dangerous to us. We should keep population counts, we should avoid over hunting any species, there should be only a select few who follow strict laws who get to hunt, I do not think hunting for sport is ethical. I think some animals are completely harmless and should not be hunted at all. Why do we eat chickens and birds? We prefer to take the lazy route and eat farm animals that aren't even carnivores, I think as a rule we should only hunt carnivores, and only hunt the carnivores which are both over populated and which would just as easily hunt us if it were hungry.

If you farmed, tigers for example, you can hunt eat the tiger knowing that if the situation were reversed and the tiger were hungry, it would have moral justification in hunting you. So in specific, man should hunt the enemies of man. If a species is known to eat human, humans should eat it.

Last edited:
James R said:
Having space in which to live and "owning" land in the human-defined sense are two different things. Non-human animals do not have a concept of "ownership" of land, so it makes no sense for us to recognise their right to land ownership.
So your only argument is that they can't uphold the responsibilities of owning land? That conflicts with your other arguments.
I have already explained that the ability to carry out responsibilities is not necessary for the possession of rights. Human infants have many rights, but no responsibilities. Certain disabled human beings are in a similar situation. You cannot arbitrarily kill and eat a human being with Down's syndrome, even though that person may not be able to take moral responsibility for certain things. So, why is a cow different?
Human infants are expected to uphold certian responsibilities at some point in their life. While they aren't, their parents, or somebody else takes on their responsiblities for them. Most disabled people are expected to pay taxes. If you mean hospitalized people, that raises a different arguement. But, for the most part, somebody else takes care of their societal responsibilities.
No. I don't need to eat the cow. Neither do you. The cow's interest in staying alive outweighs the momentary pleasure you would get from killing and eating it.
No, I don't NEED to, but I have an intrest in doing so. Just like you don't NEED to have your big screen TV or the extra food in your kitchen, but you still have a problem with someone robbing you.

James R said:
It is not necessary to "equate" humans and non-humans for all purposes. But can you give a good (non-selfish) reason for denying non-humans a basic right to life that we give all humans.
Again, we should give animals the same rights they give each other. The strong eat the weak.
Why? Don't you think you're on a higher moral plane? Doesn't that mean you should set an example for others?
How can one set an example for an unthinking brute? Animals act according to their instincts, any example we set will have no impact.
We've moved on a little from Jefferson's time. We've widened the moral circle of beings which we consider to be morally equal for various purposes. These days, we think slavery and sexism are wrong. And the enlightened ones among us think homosexuals ought to have the same rights as heterosexuals. And gradually, people are coming around to the idea that we ought to include non-human animals in the moral circle, too.

Start living in the 21st century rather than the 19th.
Do you really think we've moved on since the days of the founding fathers? I'll tell you what, I would not trust any group of modern politicians with the power to write a new constitution from scratch as the founding fathers did. The American constitution and the Bill of Rights are a miracle. Washington could have been king. Everyone kind of expected it. Madison promised to propose the Bill of rights as ammendmends once the main body of the constitution was passed, but no one really expected him to. Then he actually did it. Imagine, politicians who did what they promised!

For the first time in human history, we had a government designed with limits to its power. We were citizens, not subjects.

The twentieth century saw us backing further and further from the ideal of limited government. What I wouldn't give for a Washington, a Jefferson, or a Lincoln today. America has always been blessed with great leaders stepping forward when they were really needed. If any are out there now, they must be laying low.

Moved on, give me a break. And "widening the circle" of human rights to include animals makes a mockery of the entire thing. If anyone had thought it would actually come to this, it would have made a great argument against civil rights. Imagine:
"Sure, give rights to the dames and the coloreds, next thing you know, they'll be demanding rights for monkeys!"​

Oniw17:

So your only argument is that they can't uphold the responsibilities of owning land? That conflicts with your other arguments.

I didn't say that. I said that non-human animals have no concept of land ownership.

Human infants are expected to uphold certian responsibilities at some point in their life.

My point was that we recognise their rights when they in fact uphold no responsibilities.

While they aren't, their parents, or somebody else takes on their responsiblities for them.

Fine. Then you can take on responsibilities on behalf of the animals whose right to life you recognise, in a similar way.

No, I don't NEED to [eat a cow], but I have an intrest in doing so.

The cow's life outweighs your wish for momentary pleasure, as I said before.

madanthonywayne:

Again, we should give animals the same rights they give each other.

Why? I thought humans were supposed to be rational and "enlightened" beings.

How can one set an example for an unthinking brute?

You can set an example for other humans, regarding your positive ethical traits and your ability to reason.

Do you really think we've moved on since the days of the founding fathers?

In terms of well-articulated ethics? Yes, especially in matters of animal rights. We are also more enlightened in our attitudes to women, homosexuals, people of other races etc. We still have a way to go with all of these things, but progress is obvious.

Moved on, give me a break. And "widening the circle" of human rights to include animals makes a mockery of the entire thing.

Not at all. It's a simple matter of applying moral principles equally - giving Equal Consideration to matters which are equal. Treating like as like.

If anyone had thought it would actually come to this, it would have made a great argument against civil rights. Imagine:

"Sure, give rights to the dames and the coloreds, next thing you know, they'll be demanding rights for monkeys!"

I'm sure that such slippery-slope arguments were made.

James R said:
Oniw17:I didn't say that. I said that non-human animals have no concept of land ownership.
How do you define land ownership? As a privilage which requires certain responsibilities to be upheld? A dog is terrotorial, doesn't that convey that the dog "owns" the land?
My point was that we recognise their rights when they in fact uphold no responsibilities.
But other animals don't recognise the rights of human infants, why should we recognise the rights of other animals. Nevermind, it's because humans have claimed that they are on a higher ground than other animals. I've never made that statement in my life. But I still have to uphold the responsibilities that society forces on me.

Fine. Then you can take on responsibilities on behalf of the animals whose right to life you recognise, in a similar way.
What will they contribute to in their lives, besides to science and entertainment? An infant grows up to vote, contribute to the economy, contribute socially to the community, and possibly to contribute to the next generation of infants. Can a cow do any of that?

The cow's life outweighs your wish for momentary pleasure, as I said before.
Why does the cows life outweigh the energy that I can use from the cow to contribute to my community? Surely, I can put the cow's energy to better use.

Oniw17:

How do you define land ownership?

I'm not going to teach you property law here. Look it up yourself.

But other animals don't recognise the rights of human infants, why should we recognise the rights of other animals.

You keep missing the point. This is the third time I've said this: the ability to undertake responsibilities is not a prerequisite for having rights.

Think about it.

What will they contribute to in their lives, besides to science and entertainment? An infant grows up to vote, contribute to the economy, contribute socially to the community, and possibly to contribute to the next generation of infants. Can a cow do any of that?

Like TW Scott, you assume that the only value an animal has is in what it can give you or other human beings. In making that assumption, you fail to recognise its intrinsic value as a creature worthy of moral consideration.

Do you believe that your own personal value is only in what you can do for other human beings? Do you agree that you should be shot when you're no longer useful to other humans? What if other people decide the best use for you is as food? Would it be acceptable to kill you then?

Why does the cows life outweigh the energy that I can use from the cow to contribute to my community? Surely, I can put the cow's energy to better use.

You are so far off the moral map here that I am struggling for a response.

James R said:
You keep missing the point. This is the third time I've said this: the ability to undertake responsibilities is not a prerequisite for having rights.

Think about it.

Repeating you assertion does not make more correct. Oh wait that a James R.ism. Okay so you've said it three time you're out.

Like TW Scott, you assume that the only value an animal has is in what it can give you or other human beings. In making that assumption, you fail to recognise its intrinsic value as a creature worthy of moral consideration.

I love how you assume I believe that is the only value. It's not but then again the only value that merits discussion is of what use is it to humans. And I do feel animals arew worthy of moral consideration. Farmed animals should well treated up until their slaughter.

Do you believe that your own personal value is only in what you can do for other human beings? Do you agree that you should be shot when you're no longer useful to other humans? What if other people decide the best use for you is as food? Would it be acceptable to kill you then?

No, and what a strange way of looking at it. No, and I am not proposing that people shoot animals becuase they are no longer useful, just the opposite is true. Well, that would be a crime in this society, not to mention unnatural. For them it would be, not for me, but then again this is the point HUMANS decide MORALS. Since HUMANS eat animals then it is completely MORAL to kill them before eating them.

...I am struggling for a response.

Of course, it's hard to fight the truth.

James,
You and I arguing about this issue is like a Bears fan and a Packers fan arguing over which team is better. You will never convince me that I shouldn't eat meat. You might convince me that I shouldn't eat some particular animal {say, primates, which I wouldn't eat or dolphins}, but I just can't be convinced that humans should restrict themselves to eating a diet better suited to cows and other unthinking herd animals, when they are meant to eat everything.

Conversely, you are clearly not about to switch positions. A pity. There's nothing like a big juicy steak.

On that note, I'm getting pretty hungry. Time for a midnite snack. Perhaps a club sandwich. That would include meat from pigs, cows, and turkeys!

TW Scott:

Repeating you assertion does not make more correct.

Yes. But it does help drive home the point to those who missed it the first few times.

I love how you assume I believe that is the only value.

I draw this conclusion from your own statements. But in case I am wrong...

Answer a straight question: what value do you believe animals have, other than in terms of their value to you or other human beings?

It's not but then again the only value that merits discussion is of what use is it to humans.

Hang on! Let me get this straight. You're saying that animals have value apart from their value to humans, but you're also saying the only value that matters is their value to humans. Isn't that just a tad inconsistent?

And I do feel animals arew worthy of moral consideration. Farmed animals should well treated up until their slaughter.

Again, a straight question: WHY do you think farmed animals should be treated well up until their slaughter?

No, and what a strange way of looking at it. No, and I am not proposing that people shoot animals becuase they are no longer useful, just the opposite is true. Well, that would be a crime in this society, not to mention unnatural.

There's that word "unnatural" again, with the implication that unnatural is bad. A kind of reverse appeal to nature.

For them it would be, not for me, but then again this is the point HUMANS decide MORALS. Since HUMANS eat animals then it is completely MORAL to kill them before eating them.

Humans decide human morals, I'll grant. The morality of eating meat does not at all follow from that bare fact. Your ability to reason logically is, to say the least, shaky.

Of course, it's hard to fight the truth.

Isn't it. :)

madanthonywayne:

You will never convince me that I shouldn't eat meat.

Never say never! I doubt I'll convince you now. But in 6 months time, you'll be chowing down on a steak with some friends and you'll discover that someone you know is vegetarian. Somebody else will criticise the vegetarian position using the exact same arguments you've used against my position here. But, here's the thing: you'll know the flaws in those arguments. And they might start to annoy you just a little because they stem from a lack of knowledge. Before you know it, you'll be siding with the vegetarians. And then, sooner or later, you'll start evaluating your own behaviour in light of what you know to be true.

You might convince me that I shouldn't eat some particular animal {say, primates, which I wouldn't eat or dolphins}, but I just can't be convinced that humans should restrict themselves to eating a diet better suited to cows and other unthinking herd animals, when they are meant to eat everything.

There is no "meant to". That's a fallacy.

But if you stop eating at least some meat - dolphin or whale or monkey or whatever - that's better than nothing. It's not an easy progression to vegetarianism, but small steps are good steps.

Conversely, you are clearly not about to switch positions. A pity. There's nothing like a big juicy steak.

I might like the taste of a big juicy steak as much as the next person. But that doesn't affect in the least bit whether or not it is right for me to eat it or not. Sometimes, doing the right thing means sacrificing something.

On that note, I'm getting pretty hungry. Time for a midnite snack. Perhaps a club sandwich. That would include meat from pigs, cows, and turkeys!

Why do you feel the need to trumpet your immorality? Do you think I'll be shocked? Or do you think you'll score some points with other meat eaters ("Ha! That showed that egotistical James R guy! Rub his face in the meat!")?

James R said:
Why do you feel the need to trumpet your immorality? Do you think I'll be shocked? Or do you think you'll score some points with other meat eaters ("Ha! That showed that egotistical James R guy! Rub his face in the meat!")?
Actually, all that talk about meat just made me hungry.

PS You sound like invader Zim {"The meat, the horrible meat...."}.

Hapsburg said:
Agreed.

And those billions rely on a fictional being and an old storybook rather than taking the responsibility to make thier own choices, thier own decisions, and take control of thier lives rather than wasting it bowing down to something that simple isn't there.

You cannot prove what is fictional and what isnt. Yes I can agree with you that certain versions of God are not for me, but this does not mean there is no creator.
Also agree.

God brings order, without God there is no order.

wsionynw said:
Eating meat is a luxury that we can do without. It's true that humans can eat meat, and our bodies are proof of this. However we are not designed as carnivores, and a meat rich diet can do more harm than good. There is plenty of evidence that proves vegetarians are just as if not more healthy than meat eaters.

I never called us carnivores, but we arent vegetarians either. I agree with the morality of being vegetarian, I don't eat redmeat myself, I eat mainly fish, but it's also extremely difficult to get protien as a vegetarian, and different people need different amounts of different nutrients as eating habits and health are very individualized. A vegetarian diet can make some people sick as some people are designed to eat more protien than others. I think women usually do best on the vegetarian diets because their bodies are smaller, men on the other hand may lose a lot of muscle, and despite what you say, most men don't like the idea of being weak and feminized.

Soy for example, has been proven to raise estrogen levels in men. This is not good for the male hormone balance. This might be good for females, but like I said until we find complete protiens to replace meat, we still need a source of fat and protien, right now fish is the best source and the most ethical source because fish are not mammals.

True people keep pets again for no other purpose than there own ends. I have a yorkshire terrier, a Pekinese, and a Siamese cat. I have them becuase they make me happy and smile. If they didn't they would be gone. I wouldn't bother keeping an animal that did not bring me joy. Don't pretend you would.

One activity in specific that I disagree with, is capturing wild cats and dogs from the streets and putting them to sleep. Can anyone explain why we do this wasteful process? We don't eat the animals, we just kill them. It's one thing if an animal is sick, but I think it is unethical to put animals to sleep that are healthy.

Morality is not completely subjective as, right and wrong is based on the harm principle. JS. Mill displays the harm principle, and it was the basis for a lot of the laws in this country. Wiccan's also believe in limiting harm, so in order to be morally right, you want to limit harm.

The meat industry is extremely harmful, maybe even evil, and the food industry is also very harmful and perhaps evil. However, we all have to eat, and until vegetarians have supermarkets, what are we supposed to eat? I'd willingly go vegetarian tomorrow, but vegetarian food is not healthier, it has pesticides. If you want to influence a person like me, you have to come at me both rationally (it's healthy for me), and ethically (it's least harmful).

Vegetarians have won me over morally, but I'm too rational to believe it's healthier because it's not. Vegetarians, if you want to win support from me, focus on food and water security.

This is the pesticide network http://www.panna.org/ anyone who cares about their long term health should read it. Pesticides are the cause of the number one killer, cancer, and it causes many other unpredictable illnesses. Pesticides lower sperm count, reduce fertility, cause abortions, destroy DNA, all sorts of unpredictable reactions that I don't have enough knowledge to explain in detail but they are very very bad.

I'm going to start a thread on food security, I invite all of you to post on it.

Back