Is Atheism Irrelavent?

It it trivial that most religions teach that man is responsible for his own fate, eternal or otherwise. As far as belief and behavior:

http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/2008/04/22/changing-belief-in-free-will-c/

In this case, we should be wary of using the V&S experiment to argue that belief in determinism has inimical effects for society. But even if it did, I can’t countenance hiding our belief in determinism—a belief shared by Dennett and many compatibilists—from the general public on the grounds that it’s bad for society. That’s simply condescending. The truth is the truth, and shouldn't be suppressed. And, of course, there are some potentially positive effects of accepting determinism and the idea that free will is an “illusion” (i.e., not the dualistic behavior it seems to many people). Those positive effects include salubrious reforms of the criminal justice system and the demolition of an important cornerstone of religion.

Does eroding belief in free will cause cheating? Failure to replicate a famous result.

http://rolfzwaan.blogspot.nl/2013/03/the-value-of-believing-in-free-will.html

I prefer Steven Pinker's thoughts on the subject.

But even if it did [belief in determinism has inimical effects for society], I can’t countenance hiding our belief in determinism... The truth is the truth, and shouldn't be suppressed.

I thought we were discussing responsibility here. Seems you weigh in on the "responsibility be damned" side.

"Do note, though, that Zwaan hasn’t yet published his result in a peer-reviewed journal, so this failure of replication must remain tentative." - Does eroding belief in free will cause cheating? Failure to replicate a famous result.

And I am not sitting through some tedious and perhaps dubious YouTube video. If you have a link to text, or (novel idea) can merely summarize it yourself, I would be happy to examine it.

arauca

The elimination of magical thinking alone would get rid of the Tea Party in the US, to great benefit for all. The anti-science, know-nothing party is dragging us down with their immunity to reality. That immunity has been inculcated into them by a lifetime of religious indoctrination to believe fairy tales are true.

By the way, most orthodox Buddhists are Atheists, the Shinto religion in Japan is honor to ancestors, not worship of gods, most Native American religions were spirit based, not god based and where did you get the idea that Atheists are not just as spiritual and moral as you are? The point being that even BILLIONS of people considered religious aren't by the definition of the Fundy Christians or Muslims, whole countries are mostly Atheist(some of them the best countries on Earth), your supernatural delusions are not an improvement for the human intellect and can lead to inane, if not insane, behavior. Hitler was a life-long devout Catholic, but then so is Rick Santorum.

Grumpy:cool:

# 1 the implication was only USA that atheism is increasing . Sorry I believe your first paragraph is irreverent ( Tea Party ). Religion or belief is not stopping science , Science have grown in the last 100 years religion did not stop scientific exploration , many religios scientists are contributing for the advancement in scientific information.
During my early years working in extracting proteines from different materials did not hinder scientific advancement . In the 1960 + I worked in introduction of laser as a light source for colored specimen for moving boundary electrophoresis in the company were I worked . We worked in the earliest IR. using Fourier trans. and observed emission IR. instead of absorption. and many other work. Ever I believed in a Creator and I continue believing . I believe our spiritual life does not hinder to continue work in exploration.

According to the CIA fact book, atheism doesn't even get it's category.
Possibly because you are looking at religious populations and atheism and atheists are not religious or classified as a religious group or belief?

To bolster its numbers, atheism has to be lumped in with agnostics, non-religious and secular just to reach 1.1billion. Even then there are twice as many Christians and 1.5 times as many Muslims. I was talking to a friend of mine at work who was asking me why I was arguing with atheists when they are such an insignificant minority?
I wonder why you are bothering as well? Especially given the fact that your stupidity resulted in your looking for atheists under religious populations... Not to mention you spend more time trolling than you do posting actual facts or anything even remotely interesting.

The interesting about your trolling rantings on this site reveals one thing. Your cowardice. You attempt to debunk physics in the religious forum. We do have a Physics sub-forum. What's the matter Mazulu? Afraid that they are going to rip your idiocy to shreds?

Possibly because you are looking at religious populations and atheism and atheists are not religious or classified as a religious group or belief?
Hey I'm just going by what the CIA fact book tells me. According to them, atheism isn't important enough to get its own NON-religious faith category. It has to be lumped in with other categories.

I wonder why you are bothering as well? Especially given the fact that your stupidity resulted in your looking for atheists under religious populations... Not to mention you spend more time trolling than you do posting actual facts or anything even remotely interesting.
If I'm defending religion, you call it trolling. If I don't agree with you, I'm stupid.
The interesting about your trolling rantings on this site reveals one thing. Your cowardice. You attempt to debunk physics in the religious forum. We do have a Physics sub-forum. What's the matter Mazulu? Afraid that they are going to rip your idiocy to shreds?

I'm not debunking physics. All I'm saying is that physics is incomplete. We're missing the part that says where the big bang came from. We're missing the part that shows how physics constants are sustained. As for cowardice, I think you have me confused with someone else.

Bells, I'm not ready to apologize for what I said to you. But I do owe you an apology.

Why "defend" religion? All anyone is trying to do it discuss it (or atheism for that matter). No need for defending anything.

Syne said:
"Do note, though, that Zwaan hasn’t yet published his result in a peer-reviewed journal, so this failure of replication must remain tentative."
Let’s not ignore the deficiencies noted in the original experiment.
Zwaan describes why his group’s result might have differed from that of Vohs and Schooler. First, there is sample size:
We ran the experiment on Mechanical Turk, using 150 subjects. This should give us awesome power because the original experiment used 30 subjects and the effect size was large (.82).
And then the nature of the subject population.
One obvious difference between our findings and those of V&S is in subject populations. Our subjects had an average age of 33 (range 18-69) and were native speakers of English residing in the US (75 males and 77 females). The distribution of education levels was as follows: high school (13%), college no-degree (33%), associate’s degree (13%), bachelor (33%), and master’s/PhD (8%).

How about the subjects in the original study? V&S used… 30 undergraduates (13 females, 17 males); that’s all it says in the paper. Kathleen Vohs informed us via email that the subjects were undergraduates at the University of Utah. Specifically, they were smart, devoted adults about half of whom were active in the Mormon Church. One would think that it is not too trivial to mention in the paper. After all, free will is not unimportant to Mormons, as is shown here and here. It is quite true that Psychological Science imposes rather stringent word limits but still…

Does eroding belief in free will cause cheating? Failure to replicate a famous result.
http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress...heating-failure-to-replicate-a-famous-result/
From the original V&S article.
The fact that brief exposure to a message asserting that there is no such thing as free will can increase both passive and active cheating raises the concern that advocating a deterministic worldview could undermine moral behavior. The data from the experiments reported here are consistent with this hypothesis.

The Value of Believing in Free Will
Encouraging a Belief in Determinism Increases Cheating
http://www.carlsonschool.umn.edu/assets/91974.pdf
The implication that a brief exposure to a philosophical concept could translate to a significant reformulation of one’s prolonged experientially derived moral foundation seems a bit of a stretch, especially from a single low sample quality experiment.

Syne said:
And I am not sitting through some tedious and perhaps dubious YouTube video.
Best not risk exposure to a brief 2 min video espousing pro-deterministic content, according to the above study it will likely corrupt your moral integrity.

Last edited:

Boom.

Sometimes you make me smile, Bells.

Let’s not ignore the deficiencies noted in the original experiment.

From the original V&S article.

The implication that a brief exposure to a philosophical concept could translate to a significant reformulation of one’s prolonged experientially derived moral foundation seems a bit of a stretch, especially from a single low sample quality experiment.

That is a lot of justification in lieu of peer review.

Best not risk exposure to a brief 2 min video espousing pro-deterministic content, according to the above study it will likely corrupt your moral integrity.

Did not notice it was that short (just tired of YouTube videos in lieu of actual discussion). But he made the same sort of complexity argument Christians often make in favor of creation.

I still maintain that we're going to have to figure out how to change the physics constants.

Of course, that is utterly ridiculous and shows incredible ignorance. What you're saying is the we puny humans can change how the universe actually works. :roflmao:

But I do think that atheism is misguided and it stifles the imagination.

What that has to do with anything other than satisfying your deluded fantasies is baffling.

Yes, insignificant. Especially when you consider that a very large majority of those self-reported as "nonreligious" would also identify themselves as spiritual, and this true for agnostics to a lesser extent.

What does that have to do with anything? What does that even mean when one describes themselves as "spiritual"?

"Secular" is basically an abstaining vote in a poll with these four options. Your "leaps and bounds" are a direct result of these groups being increasingly considered together under the label of "atheism" and the propensity for these groups to appear overrepresented in both the liberal-leaning media and online, where a vocal minority can get more exposure.

No, they are grouped together because they don't hold or embrace beliefs in gods or religions. They have come to realization that your God or any other god purported to exist is no more relevant than the gods of yore, Zeus, Thor, etc.

And even if this very diverse, composite group ever could become the majority, the nonreligious/spiritual (i.e. believers who just do not identify with any specific religion/denomination) would necessarily comprise the majority of that group.

And, until you can define what you what you're talking about in regards to "spiritual" and back it up with data, your point is entirely moot.

No doubt keeping atheistic activism alive and well, only without the statistics to back it (unless they then quit counting this composite group among their numbers).

Statistics, in the sense of data showing how many people don't believe in gods or the dogma of religions, those kind of statistics? Are you serious?

Einstein was often associated with atheism because of his views on conventional religion, but he never liked being called an atheist.

If Einstein were alive today, he would be standing next to and supporting guys like Dawkins and Harris.

That is a lot of justification in lieu of peer review.
Kathleen Vohs is the winner of the Free Will Essay Prize from Templeton for a forthcoming piece in Scientific American.

Oh my god, Templeton…imagine that. :rolleyes:

And it seems that Jonathan Schooler has had his share of replicability problems.

But while Schooler was publishing these results in highly reputable journals, a secret worry gnawed at him: it was proving difficult to replicate his earlier findings. “I’d often still see an effect, but the effect just wouldn’t be as strong,” he told me. “It was as if verbal overshadowing, my big new idea, was getting weaker.” At first, he assumed that he’d made an error in experimental design or a statistical miscalculation. But he couldn’t find anything wrong with his research. He then concluded that his initial batch of research subjects must have been unusually susceptible to verbal overshadowing. (John Davis, similarly, has speculated that part of the drop-off in the effectiveness of antipsychotics can be attributed to using subjects who suffer from milder forms of psychosis which are less likely to show dramatic improvement.) “It wasn’t a very satisfying explanation,” Schooler says. “One of my mentors told me that my real mistake was trying to replicate my work. He told me doing that was just setting myself up for disappointment.” Schooler tried to put the problem out of his mind; his colleagues assured him that such things happened all the time.

While publication bias almost certainly plays a role in the decline effect, it remains an incomplete explanation. For one thing, it fails to account for the initial prevalence of positive results among studies that never even get submitted to journals. It also fails to explain the experience of people like Schooler, who have been unable to replicate their initial data despite their best efforts. Richard Palmer, a biologist at the University of Alberta, who has studied the problems surrounding fluctuating asymmetry, suspects that an equally significant issue is the selective reporting of results—the data that scientists choose to document in the first place. Palmer’s most convincing evidence relies on a statistical tool known as a funnel graph. When a large number of studies have been done on a single subject, the data should follow a pattern: studies with a large sample size should all cluster around a common value—the true result—whereas those with a smaller sample size should exhibit a random scattering, since they’re subject to greater sampling error. This pattern gives the graph its name, since the distribution resembles a funnel.

THE TRUTH WEARS OFF

Are you a Mormon, Syne?

Let say atheism is increasing . Let's ask ourselves what benefit brings atheism for the society .

It would bring to society the lack of belief in gods and the dogma of religions, hence the eradication of decisions made based on a belief in gods and the dogma of religions. The current situation with the Republican Tea Party idiots is a perfect example.

It was mentioned that although a group of Republicans were very serious about going to the White House and discussing the current government shutdown with the President, they were shocked to find the when they got there, the President was still black.

The way I see Atheism does not provide discipline for the society , atheism condones selfishness

Of course you don't see anything, you're a believer. That is the problem. You're unable to think for yourself and make decisions not based on your belief in medieval myths and superstitions. You're incapable of distinguishing reality from fantasy. You've been taught to ignore or deny the facts and evidence of the world around you.

In other words, you should never be allowed to make decisions that affect societies.

That seems like a pointless statement, as even those who believe "god has a purpose for their life" know that they are responsible for taking the action to realize that purpose. Perhaps you do not realize that religion is generally the largest proponent of personal responsibility, and that belief has been directly shown to lead to more responsible behavior.

That completely defies reality and what we all observe. Believers constantly shift their burdens of responsibility onto their magical entities, if something good happens, it was God, if something bad happens, it was Satan. If they want anything to happen, they sit down and pray and wish it to come true.

Here is my two cents worth. The energy of the big bang basically comes from the negative potential energy of gravity. I don't think controlling googles of joules of energy is how warp drive will happen. I think we have to figure out how the physics constant c is maintained by nature. We have to get into the nuts and bolts of how the space-time continuum is put together. Only then can we manipulate the speed of light and make it larger. I'm probably alone in myopinion, but I think my opinion is correct.

I certainly wouldn't pay two cents for that drivel.

It would bring to society the lack of belief in gods and the dogma of religions, hence the eradication of decisions made based on a belief in gods and the dogma of religions. The current situation with the Republican Tea Party idiots is a perfect example.

It was mentioned that although a group of Republicans were very serious about going to the White House and discussing the current government shutdown with the President, they were shocked to find the when they got there, the President was still black.

All I care about is secularism. So long as they keep their gods out of my politics, I couldn't care less what they believe.

Of course you don't see anything, you're a believer.

Weeeeeeel, I'm not so sure being a believer is arauca's main problem. There are plenty of believers who would call him an ignorant fool for the BS he spouts.

You forget that physics has reached a dead end. In 50 years when science has played all it's tricks, technology will failure to fill the emptiness, and people will still turn to God. Atheism will always be a weird cult of extreme non believers.

I agree, ignorance and superstition will probably win in the end. Maintaining an educational infrastructure is difficult and expensive.

That is an interesting question. Physicists have figured out a bunch of relationships and physics constants, but we can't really do anything. Sure we can make science fiction movies with computer graphics of traveling faster than the speed of light, but we can't really do it; and if we can't travel faster than the speed of light, then the aliens can't either. I'm sure you'll all just get mad at me for saying this, but science just doesn't capture my imagination.
Can't really do anything? You must be unaware of the major medical advances of the last few decades. When I was a child, cancer was a death sentence. But now, I know many survivors. (Just one of many examples.)

I guess that's the real argument. Atheism fails to capture the imagination; that's why it's irrelevant.
Luckily, nature is not limited by your lack of imagination.

Back