Votes: 5 14.7%
  • A Woman's Choice

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • A Crude Form of Birth Control

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Unfortunate but Often Necessary

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
Well, my wife asked me if I was going to leave her. No, I was responsible enough to take on the task. My feeling at the time was that I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of becoming a father, ...
Were you going to abandon your girlfriend if she had the abortion you wanted? Doesnt sound like it.

But you do know many women face parenthood alone, not having a boyfriend willing to stick it out. So while you chose to stay around (and your glad you did), that is not the reality for everyone and you admit you would have at one time preferred your girlfriend make a different choice. Doesnt matter that it all turned out ok. Doesnt matter that you changed your mind, though you did get to change your mind.

Its like murder in your mind.

I would love my daughter no matter what she did. My daughter is at age to make her own decisions, The law allows her to choose abortion.
She is only at an age to make her own decisions because its not against the law. If you had your way, that wouldnt be true.

I live in a very liberal state. Yes, I would still consider it murder, but as I said above, I would love my daughter no matter what.
This is where your morality confuses me. The law does not dictate my morality and it does affect my votes. I dont think its murder and wouldnt change my position even if the law changed.

I would love my daughter no matter what she did. Having her life ahead of her, showing a lot of promise and ambition, I would be very disappointed should she become pregnant. My daughter is at age to make her own decisions, The law allows her to choose abortion. All I can do is offer my advice and support for the her and her child.
But I didnt ask you if you would still love your daughter. I dont even question that being true. The law allowed you that same choice but your opinion now is, given the ballot option, you would vote to repeal that; regardless of the fact that with that option open to you, everything worked out ok. But votes are secret and you dont have to witness its effects first hand.

So let me ask the question in a different way.

If it was against the law in your state and you found out your daughter, or your son aided his gf/wife getting an abortion, would you turn them in? I guess what I am asking is how serious you are about this?

bowser said:
Coercion? Are the politically conservative forcing women to hump?
Yep. That has happened. It took a concerted push by the liberals to get marital rape even recognized as a possibility, among conservatives.
bowser said:
Since neither of my children are psychotic, I don't see that as a relevant question
So if your daughter used a morning-after pill to kill your grandchild after being coerced into sex, you would regard her as psychotic?
bowser said:
Again, I have no problem with responsible birth control My understanding is that they don't know for certain how a IUD works.
All IUDs occasionally prevent implantation of a fertilized egg - murdering the child, in other words. It's not necessarily the typical mode of action (depends on the type), but it's always a possibility. Copper IUDs are sometimes used as post-rape abortifacients, for that reason - effective within five days of the rape, says the literature.

But your response illustrates: if you don't know for certain it's happening, it's OK for your daughter to murder your grandchildren on a fairly regular basis.
bowser said:
I think it's more a recognition of life once it takes root in the womb. The question seems to be when life begins. Conception would be my definition.
No - as the ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage handling response showed, and there are many others I could run past your eyes, the only time you regard conception as establishing the existence of a living human being is when a woman is considering aborting her pregnancy. All the rest of the time, an early embryo is a blob of cells for you just like it is for everyone else.

Were you going to abandon your girlfriend if she had the abortion you wanted? Doesnt sound like it.

I think women are, for the most part, more sensitive to the responsibility of parenting. I know a kid who was raised by his mother since she was 15. Yes, they struggle, but he's a real cool kid--well worth the sacrifices. For myself, I had to become a parent to really appreciate the value of all life.

If my son or daughter murdered another person, would I be morally obligated to notify the authorities?

If my son or daughter murdered another person, would I be morally obligated to notify the authorities?

No. That is your position. Its murder. You are morally obligated. You dont have to now because Legally there is nothing the police could/would do. The question was regarding the effect your chance to cast a vote standing up for what you truely believe would entail. And that is, Would you turn your children in for murder?

bowser said:
We don't know. For me, yes I would be - but it's easier, because I don't have this weird area of abortion as murder complicating the matter. You're the guy claiming to regard abortion as murder, so - - - let's take, say, the example of your married son living in a place where abortion was illegal (Chile), and his wife using an IUD to keep from getting pregnant while abroad, thereby possibly murdering your grandchildren; Do you turn him in to local authorities, as a possible accessory to abortion? If not why not?

Last edited:
I'm all for responsible birth control.
Even if a potential life ids destroyed?
As well they should.
Even if a potential life is destroyed?
Sounds like good parenting to me.
Even if a potential life is destroyed?
I'm opposed to the destruction of life.
Apparently only in cases of abortion. In all the above cases you are apparently OK with it.

Considering whether a blastocyst wants to be killed is approximately equivalent to asking a banana if it wants to be picked from its palm and eaten.
Actually in the language of attractive color and pleasing gustration, that’s exactly what a ripe banana calls out for. Its evolved function is to be eaten by animals like us in order to propagate the seeds of its parent tree. The first communication we receive from the blastocyst is the detection by a pregnancy test of the HCG hormone it secretes during implantation. Some interpret this introduction by the blatocyst as a greeting from a welcome guest, while others see it as battle cry from an invading parasite. Carcinomas, which are also living human entities, introduce themselves in much the same fashion, but because they don’t tend to develop sentience at some later stage of development, they aren’t usually welcomed as guests.

Last edited:
Bowser:

By becoming pregnant a woman becomes capable and responsible for the life she holds.
That includes rape, according to you. That is, you are saying that when a woman is forcibly raped and becomes pregnant, she is responsible for the pregnancy thereafter, despite the fact that she had no choice in the matter of becoming pregnant. This is because suddenly there is an all-important new life that has come into existence that is a "potential person", and that potential person's rights trump all of the mother's rights from the point of conception onwards.

[The alternative to back-alley abortion] depends on the condition and the medical interventions available.
Please explain. Suppose the mother's life is in danger from the pregnancy. If abortion is illegal because it is murder, then what? Or would you make an exception in such cases?

I would place higher value on that of a person than, say, that of a cow.
Ok. But you wouldn't have a cow killed just so you could eat it, would you? Even if its life is not as valuable as a human being's, you'd still say that it is important, because "life is all important". Right? It's the life that matters, not just the fact that something is human. Or do you really only care about human life?

There are billions of people with whom I am not intimate, Does that make their lives any less valuable?
You tell me. Is all human life equally valuable?

Yet we all start the same way [as "potential people"]. What a loss if any of us should have been denied the opportunity to evolve.
It's a real pity that one third to one half of conceptions end in spontaneous abortion then, don't you think? All those potential people gone.

[James R's lottery example is] a bad analogy.
I don't think so. Your argument is that because a newly-conceived foetus might someday grow into a newborn baby, therefore it should be treated at least as well as a newborn baby and entitled right now to all the same rights that a newborn baby has. It's not ok to kill a newborn baby; therefore it is not ok to kill a foetus.

My lottery analogy says that because when the draw happens my ticket might turn out to be the winning ticket, therefore it should be treated as the winning ticket right now and I should get the money now. It wouldn't be right to deny me the money after the draw showed that I had the winning ticket; therefore it wouldn't be right to deny me the money now.

No, I don't have a problem with responsible contraception.
So your issue with potential people only goes back as far as conception. Why do you draw the line there rather than earlier or later?

What were the penalties before abortion was legal? How was such a thing deliberated.
The typical penalty was somewhere from 10 years to life in prison. Abortion is murder, remember. In countries where abortion is still illegal, the penalties are about the same as this. Do you think that's an appropriate punishment for having an abortion?

Also, what if the mother of my best friend had the ability to go back in time and have an abortion, would that be murder?
Not in my opinion, since your friend wouldn't then exist. The only being that would have been killed in the new timeline would be a foetus.

What if you were made a surrogate against your will, what would you do in that situation, Bowser?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Turducken: Cartoon by Rose Jaffe for The Michigan Daily, 23 November 2010.

Bowser said:
I know a kid who was raised by his mother since she was 15. Yes, they struggle, but he's a real cool kid--well worth the sacrifices.

Frankly, I think this appeal is absolute excrement.

So, here. Let us applaud. [golf clap]

The reason I'm so sarcastic is that the appeal is so self-centered, so simplistic, and so insulated.

First: That applies to your opinion of this one mother and offspring, and has no real application to anyone else.

Second: If you want to hold these stories up as proof of anti-abortion merit, then so must you also hold up every bit of suffering inflicted on a child forcibly born into this world against a mother's will.

Third: If it's ever your child who suffers, whether raped, or burned horribly in an accident, or even weeping over a miscarriage, would you really remind them to cheer up, it's a blessing, because at least they weren't aborted?

If you want the appeal to be anything more than yet another selfish excuse to assert your own will over a woman, then you need to recognize that not all ends are happy; life is an agonizing death sentence; and this process, this pregnancy, is taking place inside the body of a human being.

We went through this not so long ago; when the equally protected rights of the zygotal-assigned "person" were stacked up against the equally protected rights of the mother, anti-abortion advocates could not figure out how to cope with it. And while I appreciate your answer, Bowser, in the early going of that discussion, I would beg you recall what happened afterward. Nobody really could answer the conundrum.

And it's not just the fact that nobody could answer the conundrum; there is also the question why. That answer, in turn, isn't simply unsettling; it's dangerous.

The problem is that the human rights of a woman are alien to their outlooks. The idea that a woman has human rights is unnatural to the paradigm underpinning the anti-abortion argument. Entirely foreign. A liberal conspiracy of modern vintage that is the ruination of society.

If you consider history honestly, then you will come to recognize the reason it's 2015 and you're still stuck saying the same things anti-abortion advocates have been saying for over four decades; they have nothing new, and cannot answer the obvious questions facing their preferred societal structure.

Think of debate, the general structure of a formal exchange of arguments. One proposes; the other rebuts; the one rebuts the rebuttal. That, for instance, is how it works at the Supreme Court, but there are other processes that include counterproposal and deeper valences of rebuttal. In either case, however, it doesn't matter, because the way it works in this dispute is that anti-abortion proposes, reproductive health rights rebut, and anti-abortion simply reiterates its proposal. And no matter how many times the two sides go 'round, anti-abortion can only reiterate itself; at its heart, the rights of men come first, the rights of zygotes and fetuses second, and the rights of women never.

And for some reason, anti-abortion advocates still think they can just reiterate this formula over and over again until ... well, frankly, Judgment Day, probably. And all the time, in their compassion, they remind over and over that in their eyes, women are not human beings entitled to the human rights that are recognized for all humans.

Women are people, too. Y'all have never come to terms with that fact. It would be helpful if folks would pencil it in for sometime real soon.

Meanwhile, somewhere around the nth time hearing The Anecdote about how someone knows someone else who something something and that proves the point, yeah, the argument loses its luster. That is to say, it's been kind of annoying and offensive for its insistent hatred of women pretty much the whole time.

The problem is that the human rights of a woman are alien to their outlooks. The idea that a woman has human rights is unnatural to the paradigm underpinning the anti-abortion argument. Entirely foreign. A liberal conspiracy of modern vintage that is the ruination of society.
It’s not that human rights are necessarily alien to their outlook, it’s that maternity sets up a potential for conflicting rights of the two entities involved in the process. The rights of individuals in a given society are not immutable, societies have and will grant them as they see fit. In most societies you don’t have the right to harm or kill another person on the basis that they may represent a potential threat to your own life or well being, that’s what a woman’s right to choose amounts to if you define an embryo or fetus at any stage a person. At such time when the actions of one individual conditionally threaten the life of another, societies do grant a right of self protection, such as lethal force employed to defend against a violent assault, or medical intervention to prevent mortality posed by a complicated pregnancy. Whether or not a person is within you or not, they can still pose a threat to your life, and you do have rights of self defense that may result in the death of another who threatens your life, regardless of their perceived innocence. If a 5 year old child unintentionally threatened me with a gun, I might be forced to kill it to protect myself. It’s no different with a fetus that threatens a mother with a fatal complication in pregnancy. As for less restrictive abortion, that depends on where societies draw the line of personhood, arguments range from conception to postnatality. Currently most societies grant fetal rights from mid pregnancy onward.

This is a very personal thing for women, and they should have the right to make the decision. It's their bodies. It's their lives, it's their health, it's their decision. While I have my moral beliefs with respect to abortion, my beliefs do not trump the right of women to make their own decisions regarding their bodies. I don't want women taking unnecessary risks. Contrary to the beliefs of some folks, I don't think women approach the issue of abortion frivolously.

Women need to be respected, even though they can be a giant pain at times. Their rights should be respected and their bodies should be respected. It really is that simple. They aren't murders if they get an abortion. They are just like the rest of us, trying to get by the best we can. And by God, women should not be made to feel bad about their bodies or their decisions. This is a very personal decision and it should be respected. Abortion is a tough decision for women as it would be for a man. I'm just glad I have never had to make that decision.

There are three kinds of abortions, first trimester, second trimester, and third trimester. My only concern is later term abortions (i.e. third trimester). At that point we are getting very close to a baby, so any abortion at that point needs to have a very good reason (e.g. threats to the life and health and wellbeing of the mother). At that point if I were a physician, I could not do an abortion unless the life or health & wellbeing of the mother was threatened. And I'm sure that point is not lost on women and their physicians. These people, these women and physicians are not monsters as some would have us believe. Women and physicians don't make these decisions lightly.

Last edited:
In most societies you don’t have the right to harm or kill another person on the basis that they may represent a potential threat to your own life or well being, that’s what a woman’s right to choose amounts to if you define an embryo or fetus at any stage a person.
A developing embryo brings an absolute certainty of serious harm, and a non-trivial risk of death, to the pregnant woman.

As for less restrictive abortion, that depends on where societies draw the line of personhood, arguments range from conception to postnatality
One cannot grant personhood to a six week embryo without denying personhood to the pregnant woman. Consider self defense.

And I'm sure that point is not lost on women and their physicians. These people, these women and physicians are not monsters
Some people are monsters - including some who are pregnant, some who are physicians, and some who own corporations and control lives, medical plans, family well-being, etc. They have disproportionate influence. Half the laws on the books are there only to fence off the monsters among us, however imperfectly.

Tell the Captain

Capracus said:
It’s not that human rights are necessarily alien to their outlook, it’s that maternity sets up a potential for conflicting rights of the two entities involved in the process.

Just so we're clear: You do recognize how hilariously stupid that sounds coming from you?

After all, we recently had a sixteen-month demonstration, over the course of two↗ threads↗, in which the equal protection conflict invoked by Fertilization-Assigned Personhood so confused, defied, or frightened anti-abortion advocates in our community that they refused that issue.

I'm quite certain you recall that discussion↗.

Still, though, you make my point for me:

The rights of individuals in a given society are not immutable, societies have and will grant them as they see fit.

Those rights are supposedly inalienable, but consider the reason we have Amendment XIX, granting woman suffrage. After the Civil War, Congress passed three constitutional amendments that were then ratified by the states; these are Amendments XIII, XIV, and XV. Amendment XIV contains the Equal Protection clause, which requires states to treat all persons within their jurisdiction equally under law. On this basis, multiple states moved forward giving women the vote; the federal government objected, and successfully argued that the Equal Protection Clause of Amendment XIV, forbidding states to "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws" was not intended to apply to women.

And you make an excellent example of the result; the proposition of a woman's human rights so confounds anti-abortion activists that they cannot acknowledge those human rights explicitly, and only acknowledge the idea of a woman's human rights, as you have, when telling us why women shouldn't have them.

To the one, it's kind of grotesque, anyway.

To the other, it's especially grotesque given the historical record of this community; you could probably behave more like a cheap stereotype if you tried, but that would be especially grotesque.

The rights of individuals in a given society are not immutable, societies have and will grant them as they see fit.

And a woman's rights as a human being are supposed to be inalienable; the best way around that is to effectively deny the existence of such human rights, which is generally how anti-abortion does it.

You spend ten sentences discussing why a woman's human rights aren't in effect, and never acknowledge that women actually have them. This kind of misogyny might be stock and standard, but that does not make it acceptable, and that does not mean it is not hateful. Blind misogyny nonetheless remains misogyny.

Acknowledge that women are people, too, with no ifs or buts. Acknowledge that women have human rights, with no ifs or buts. It's a lot harder to fashion your anti-abortion argument when you do that, isn't it?

Conflicts involving the protected rights of two individuals can generally be settled under standing case precedent; what makes the FAP argument different in this context is that it is attempting to install a new standard for resolving those conflicts. The legislation of ontology in order to justify further legislation is one of those ultimately cynical maneuvers that, in any other context, would only feed the fire of anti-government tinfoils fretting about intrusion and expanding state power; but this is a cynical maneuver to expand the state's intrusive power that those potsherds can get behind. In the larger political landscape, this dissonance has long been apparent, and in truth it complicates people's response to tinfoil libertarianism about other things. Like when the Pauline Evangelism would try to win votes from people like me: Ron Paul supports your rights, dude. Wants pot to be legal! Uh-huh. And I have a daughter, whose human rights Ron Paul despises; what do they think I'm going to do? Ron Paul wants to be the arbiter of whether a woman has suffered an "honest rape"? These days the libertarian appeal includes the right to aid and abet sexual abuse of female minors, asserted as religious conscience freedom in a Texas bill currently waiting for its day in the state Senate. One would expect genuine libertarians to get sick of this bullshit, but the conflict between libertarianism and the conservative, intrusive claim to its mantle will continue to foil libertarianism in other issues, too.

To the other, I've got virtually nothing to say about killing a five year-old in self-defense, other than to marvel at the desperation of the argument. You probably wouldn't have to humiliate yourself like that if you would just acknowledge the human rights of women. Then again, if you do that and continue to advocate for the elimination of those human rights, there's nothing anyone else can do about such self-denigration.

Go and tell the Captain, waves are growing high, and anyone washed overboard, leave them here to die. Go, now, tell his mistress, who lies in sheets of wine, the candles and the invocations will not bring down the tide. He's abandoned any hope of life now; the endless storms that rage upon us grow from ripples in his mind. He has chosen darkness over light now; mistress and crew have lied and left him to be cold.

Desperation

It would be one thing to say Pat Robertson is disqualified from this or that issue, but reality dictates otherwise; he still has a large audience hoping to buy a ticket to Heaven by believing anything he says.

Stuff like this:

Far-right televangelist Pat Robertson linked Monday's precipitous drop in the stock market to the issue of abortion in the U.S. ....

.... Robertson delivered a diatribe against Planned Parenthood and abortion on TV's "The 700 Club" Monday, telling viewers that God will "hold us accountable." Planned Parenthood – known for providing reproductive health services to women – has been under fire in recent weeks over secretly recorded videos that show executives from the organization discussing the donation of fetal tissue for medical research.

"We will pay dearly as a nation for this thing going on," Robertson said. "And possibly if we were to stop, stop all of this slaughter, the judgment of God might be lifted from us. But it's coming, ladies and gentlemen. We just have a little taste of it in terms of the financial system. But it's going to be shaken to its core in the next few months, years or however long it takes, and it will hurt every one of us. It's coming down the road. But at least we could repent and try to change."

(Taintor↱)

There is an old story about how one is more likely to see a business journal under Mr. Robertson's arm than a Bible, and given his history of saying insanely insupportable things as if they were God's Word, one might start to believe the tale true simply for the fact of how hypocritical and un-Christian his behavior repeatedly demonstrates him to be.

But this is how desperate it's getting. Hurricanes as evidence that we're too nice to gays and women. A million stock analysts must necessarily be wrong, because it's not the financial situation that's problematic, but God is punishing the United States for the existence of Planned Parenthood by destabilizing the Chinese economy in order to cause effects reaching most of the human species, regardless of their nationality.

So it's one thing to tell Mr. Robertson to give it a rest. The real problem is his outsized audience of Barnum's bastards, desperate suckers, every one, begging a wolf in shepherd's clothing to please, please fleece them for the glory of Jesus.

If this flock and their false prophet were simply mucking up their own lives, it would be sufficient―though not especially compassionate―to leave them to their own self-inflicted torments. However, as they are causing other people problems, as well, and that makes Mr. Robertson's swindle everybody's business.

We're over four decades into the fight to overturn Roe v. Wade, the anti-abortion sector has come up with virtually nothing new over the years―the transformation from "life at conception" to "personhood" is about as innovative as they've shown themselves through the period―and here we see the problem with reality being merely one side of the argument.

It seems almost inevitable, though, that the hateful, hypocritical iterations of Christian faith so affecting our political discourse in recent decades should require the usurpation of reality in order to realize their fantasy of God's Kingdom.

The problem for other anti-abortion advocates, though, is that if they really do strike from their ranks and allegiances those who would rely on delusion and confidence swindles, they will find out just how few of them there really are.

Notes:

Taintor, David. "Pat Robertson links stock market plunge to abortion". msnbc. 24 August 2015. msnbc.com. 25 August 2015. http://on.msnbc.com/1fC53lH

Bowser said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I gather from previous posts that you are a father...?

And the one you're quoting, as well, but yes, I am indeed a father.

This is a very personal thing for women, and they should have the right to make the decision. It's their bodies. It's their lives, it's their health, it's their decision. While I have my moral beliefs with respect to abortion, my beliefs do not trump the right of women to make their own decisions regarding their bodies. I don't want women taking unnecessary risks. Contrary to the beliefs of some folks, I don't think women approach the issue of abortion frivolously.

Over 50 million abortions in the US alone since Roe v. Wade. Apparently many have taken the leap. I agree with you on one point, I think some women give it considerable thought before committing the crime. I also believe many live to regret that derision.

Women need to be respected, even though they can be a giant pain at times. Their rights should be respected and their bodies should be respected. It really is that simple. They aren't murders if they get an abortion. They are just like the rest of us, trying to get by the best we can. And by God, women should not be made to feel bad about their bodies or their decisions. This is a very personal decision and it should be respected. Abortion is a tough decision for women as it would be for a man. I'm just glad I have never had to make that decision.

Empowering someone to kill is not a sign of respect, more like cowardice.

There are three kinds of abortions, first trimester, second trimester, and third trimester. My only concern is later term abortions (i.e. third trimester). At that point we are getting very close to a baby, so any abortion at that point needs to have a very good reason (e.g. threats to the life and health and wellbeing of the mother). At that point if I were a physician, I could not do an abortion unless the life or health & wellbeing of the mother was threatened. And I'm sure that point is not lost on women and their physicians. These people, these women and physicians are not monsters as some would have us believe. Women and physicians don't make these decisions lightly.

Well, there might be rare occasions when medical intervention is not enough, but I think it's an issue that's used to justify abortion as a whole. Kinda like a slippery slope.

And the one you're quoting, as well, but yes, I am indeed a father.
I don't know you on a personal level, but I am willing to gamble that she's a pretty darn important part of your life. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Back