Votes: 5 14.7%
  • A Woman's Choice

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • A Crude Form of Birth Control

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Unfortunate but Often Necessary

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
My guess is that many who do often regret their choice.

Wow. Your "guess".
wizard.gif

OK, I'm fine with that...

Never. Exactly my point. You would, at least occasionally, if you had consistency or integrity in your claims of extending your concept of murder into the womb.

Your conception of murder cannot be extended into the womb. That's not what you are doing.

Ha.

This is the situation: You have no problem throwing innocent miscarried and ectopic humans - cells dividing like mad, notice - into a bucket with all manner of foulness and diseased slop, and incinerating them alive with the rest of the garbage. That's your actual conception of the nature of the early human embryo, living or dead - it's medical waste, garbage for the incinerator.

Except under one circumstance. In one particular context, and no other, this embryo is the very essence of the innocent human soul, a defenseless being of near infinite worth that a woman cannot even deny harmful residence within her body at the risk of her life. So what happens, there, that makes this enormous and sudden and inexplicable alteration in your conception of human embryos?
I have no problem disposing of dead tissue, including my own. My problem is the termination of life when there is no good cause. You're desperate to make this an issue when it really isn't.

So, Bowser, what would you do if you found yourself with an unwanted pregnancy?

So, Bowser, what would you do if you found yourself with an unwanted pregnancy?
Wow, I was once a very liberal guy. When I was much younger, I found myself in that situation, but fortunately for my son and myself, my girlfriend (now my wife) was smart enough for both of us. Now, had I my way, I never would have known my son, but looking at him now, I can't imagine my life without our history.

Way to go on presenting the most extreme possible scenario.
It recently happened. What do you think should have been done? By forcing the 11 year old to have the child, do you feel the 11 year old was made into a responsible mother?
Again, rape accounts for less than 1% of all abortions. But to answer your question, yes, two lives are now part of the equation. I don't believe the unborn is responsible for any crime in said scenario. Why should it pay with its life?
Same reason most embryos pay with their lives. (60% of fertilized embryos never implant.) It is the way the world works.
I don't consider abortion part of the natural process. It's human intervention. If you're suggesting eugenics, I would have to disagree.
Evolution is natural eugenics.
My idea of responsible contraception is the total absence of fertilization. Once those cells start dividing, you're pregnant.
So you oppose some forms of birth control. (BTW, birth control is one of the few proven ways to REDUCE the incidence of abortion.)
How is that any different than any other form of murder?
Keeping two people from having sex is not murder. (If it is, I sure hope you are picketing all those abstinence workshops!)
Who are we to say their lives have no value? If it's inconvenient or a burden to care for another life, should we just exterminate it?
Up to the parents.

If a fetus with anencephaly or thanatophoric dysplasia is aborted, they die a few weeks or months early. In that case there is no moral issue; there will be no life outside the womb.

Wow, I was once a very liberal guy. When I was much younger, I found myself in that situation, but fortunately for my son and myself, my girlfriend (now my wife) was smart enough for both of us. Now, had I my way, I never would have known my son, but looking at him now, I can't imagine my life without our history.
No, I asked what you would do if you found yourself with an unwanted pregnancy, what what your girlfriend did when she found herself with one.

No, I asked what you would do if you found yourself with an unwanted pregnancy, what what your girlfriend did when she found herself with one.
If I were a woman, I wouldn't find myself in that position, so it's not something I would have to concern myself.

If I were a woman, I wouldn't find myself in that position, so it's not something I would have to concern myself.
If you were a woman and had been raped, and were told you would likely die if you tried to carry the child to term (and the child likely wouldn't survive in any case) what would you decide to do?

If you were a woman and had been raped, and were told you would likely die if you tried to carry the child to term (and the child likely wouldn't survive in any case) what would you decide to do?
Wow, what an unfortunate turn of events if I were a woman.

We needn't worry about gender here: This troll is as asexual as it is asinine.

We needn't worry about gender here: This troll is as asexual as it is asinine.
Unnecessary. I remind you that I've attacked nobody throughout this conversation. Though we might disagree, I see no need to allow the thread to degenerate into character assassination.

You've implied that anyone who has an abortion is a murderer. That's pretty offensive.

I would consult medical professionals before taking any drastic action.
Just a few points i would like to add about this conversation... all offered IMHO

there was no need for this answer...
1- it is already required by law for you to get an abortion.
2- it is also a necessity to find out that you are pregnant and it will likely cause terminal issues with you, unless you are discussing this with a psychic, and then i would suggest serious counseling.
3- it is already part of the question posed
While everyone might be suggesting abortion, I would look for a lifesaving solution.
commendable, but the problem still exists. you are willing to (likely) forfeit your life for said fetus? Plus, the medical professionals can offer opinion but wouldn't suggest abortion unless there was a serious and viable threat to your personal existence, hence the terms of the situation above.

the biggest problem with this type speculation, however, is that many folk can say "i would do this" based upon their current convictions or beliefs about themselves or their way of life, including religion, etc... but the truth is, until you are actually in said situation, you really don't know how you will respond. especially when the whole ""self preservation" issue kicks in.

Plus, the added stigma of rape with additional psychological stresses, including trauma, PTSD, guilt, self-loathing or more...

this cannot truly be answered (unless experienced), and especially not by a man. and especially not by a man who has never been raped nor been in the situation to offer their life for another.

This is most commonly seen in military boot camp or other typical para-military organisations when training. No one reacts to these life threatening stresses exactly like they think they will... it is the WHOLE reason for training. the training is supposed to overwhelm your need to think, which is why you "train like you work". when you have to "think" about how to respond in an immediate life threatening situation, you can (and usually do) cause problems, with either yourself or with your partner/s.

is anyone actually talking about the validity of the fetus?
when does life actually occur?
when is the organism a viable organism?
when do you call it viable versus a mass of replicating cells?
when do you start assigning the label of life - when it moves? when it simply looks human? or when the egg is fertilised?

before you can answer what is right, you must be able to accurately quantify and qualify the situation, the organism, the culture, the involved species, the entire situation and when, exactly, things move from zygote to fetus... from basic cellular reproduction to actual viable infant which can self sustain given typical assistance (food, shelter, etc, as in a birthed fetus would need)

until then, it is all a reason to speculate and denigrate others for their responses because they're not like yours/mine/theirs/everyone else/no one else... whatever prejudice might be assigned

to talk intelligently, the subject must be more clear than "is abortion murder"...

You've implied that anyone who has an abortion is a murderer. That's pretty offensive.
Is there a nice way when referring to someone who kills another? I understand that some would rather call it "abortion" or "a woman's choice," but the truth is it's all about taking life...literally. In any other circumstance we would probably all agree that taking another human life is "murder."

Just a few points i would like to add about this conversation... all offered IMHO
to talk intelligently, the subject must be more clear than "is abortion murder"...
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm committed to the idea that life starts at conception, IMHO. I understand the real potential bundled with the clump of cells that others feel deserve no more consideration than they might have for a cancer.

Back