Votes: 5 14.7%
  • A Woman's Choice

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • A Crude Form of Birth Control

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Unfortunate but Often Necessary

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
tali89: There can be. However, the two aren't always mutually exclusive.
Truck Captain: actually, they are.
urging is about pushing a position, as noted in the comment/post, but "informing" is about giving different choices and information about a situation,

'Informing' is nothing more than giving information, by its very definition. It's very sly of you to sneak the 'giving differences choices' in there, but I'm not fooled. You can argue in favor of a particular stance, and provide information on said stance. Hence 'informing' and 'urging' aren't mutually exclusive.

the point is that when you argue your perspective (or urge to accept a decision based upon your knowledge or experience) then there is no way it can be unbiased.

Once does not need to be 'unbiased' to provide information, and I'd argue that an unbiased person is very rare indeed.

it is a form of anecdotal information, thus it is biased.

So you are claiming that it is information, but providing this information would not count as 'informing' someone? I don't agree.

exposure to differing opinions is like exposure to used toilet paper, and equally as hazardous... mostly because of the subjective nature of opinion or perspectives

Is this why left-wingers are so keen on censorship? Because they think being exposed to various opinions and perspectives is 'dangerous'. Hoo boy.

just because you are elder or parental doesn't mean you have all the facts or know every detail about the situation,

Nobody claimed this. However, elders and parents do (sometimes) have your best interests at heart, and (sometimes) have more life experience, and (sometimes) can look at your situation with a more clinical eye.

urging/coercion is not about reducing the total number of choices:

As you admit, urging is not about reducing the total number of choices, therefore urging by its very nature is not anti-choice. Therefore all the outrage about Capracus being anti-choice is unjustified. Q.E.D.

I believe in the woman's right to choose, but I don't think all women, especially at the lower age allowed for abortion, can make a sound rational choice. Girls under 16 can make this choice, without their parents, so why can't they vote or do other adult things? This is because they are not considered fully mature as adults.

Abortion is big business, with millions served each year. Big business and big government agencies are thinking about their own bottom lines and the potential for growth. Money is now even being made with harvesting and selling unborn body parts. This has growth potential, and will go better if more ladies are not of sound mind but just go along thinking this is about them. Maybe woman can opt out of body part harvest of her aborted fetus. This is not part of the choice that is laid on the table, due to the economic growth potential.

What is wrong with an objectivity test? Does being objective interfere with the con?

It's very sly of you to sneak the 'giving differences choices' in there, but I'm not fooled.
wasn't trying to "fool" anyone. it was a poor choice of wording: informing is what i defined it as previously
You can argue in favor of a particular stance, and provide information on said stance. Hence 'informing' and 'urging' aren't mutually exclusive.
i will concede that it depends a lot upon circumstances: perhaps if you are on a debate team, you can argue that there is the possibility of "informing" and "urging" at the same time... perhaps if you are trying to enlighten or educate while also trying to promote a position

however, given the circumstances as quoted by Cap and argued by you (the family member urging abortion) then the situation is completely different and gets relegated to sphere's of influence. then said situation becomes a matter of coercion. there was no indication (or statement) that said opinion was requested, it was simply stated that said family member would urge abortion: this indicated that said member would utilise influence over a child to effect a specific outcome, thus it can be stated to be coercion and not a matter of choice.
Once does not need to be 'unbiased' to provide information, and I'd argue that an unbiased person is very rare indeed.
truly all people are biased. however, information (especially in these kinds of cases, meaning emotionally charged) should be given by third parties without a vested interest in certain outcomes. perhaps you see a benefit in a passionate argument in favour of certain outcomes due to belief, but IMHO i feel that a logical assessment without emotional baggage provides a much better viewpoint
So you are claiming that it is information, but providing this information would not count as 'informing' someone? I don't agree.
that is your prerogative.
consider this, though: not everyone has the same life experiences. thus anecdotal information or experiences cannot always be applied equally because of the inevitability of change as well as the subjectivity of perspective. We can see this in simple things like: parachuting. it is a wholly different experience to become a human "lawn dart" with a round chute than use a square chute. the basic premise is the same- jump out of a perfectly good airplane. however, both experiences, though charged with adrenaline and beautiful to behold and experience are about as much the same as the difference between rolling to a stop on a motorcycle and hitting a wall at 25 miles an hour.

anecdotal evidence, or personal perspectives, may well have "information" that is relevant (this is your position), but they cannot necessarily be applied to the situation because not all people experience the exact same things the exact same way because each person is their own world of experiences and coloured by their own past and perspectives. this is most evident when you take eye-witness testimony in any crime scene with more than one person. you will have a crowd of people witness and live through the exact same thing and you usually have just as many different versions of what happened as there are people (and a lot of times, a person will change details based upon what they hear/overhear from another). Opinion, anecdote, experiences etc are all subjective to the individual.
Is this why left-wingers are so keen on censorship? Because they think being exposed to various opinions and perspectives is 'dangerous'. Hoo boy.
so your defense on this is to throw around ad hominem because you cannot thing of a logical argument for your position? imagine that... of course, that is kinda like throwing a tantrum because you can't get your way, right? are you going to call me a commie next? or simply denigrate the logical argument as some emo-posted drivel?

that would mean, by definition, that you don't approve of other opinions and that you don't feel anyone with a logical argument should be considered if you have a different opinion about a subject, right? isn't that a little Dunning-Kruger? or are you being narcissistic?

lets get a few things straight:
1- i am not left wing (nor right wing- i have no wings. i am not affiliated nor do i feel like minded with a political party)
2- i despise censorship in ALL forms
3- this is not about exposure to new ideas, so keep on topic: (summarized) Cap said he would urge for abortion, and you wanted to know how urging was coercion... then you altered this and went with:
I want someone, anyone, to demonstrate to me how arguing in favor of a particular action reduces the choices available to the audience
this was answered by more than just i... however, if you want a recap, i can give it from all parties making said argument against you... just in case you missed it, or are ignoring it (kinda like where you ignored my point about :
1- i hate party lines
2- i am neither liberal nor conservative. PERIOD. i consider myself a Truck Captain (RET) and Veteran. and i personally despise politics and religion (not a faith: there is a difference)
i posted: because you are elder or parental doesn't mean you have all the facts or know every detail about the situation
Nobody claimed this. However, elders and parents do (sometimes) have your best interests at heart, and (sometimes) have more life experience, and (sometimes) can look at your situation with a more clinical eye.
sometimes... you do realise that you are actually supporting my argument here, right?

lets get some more things clear, shall we?
1- i didn't say anyone claimed it, did it?
2- elders and family, friends, etc always claim to have your best interests at heart (and maybe they do, or try to) but that doesn't mean that they are actually thinking of your best interest, nor does it mean that they don't have ulterior motives or biases that you do not wish to accept
this also doesn't mean that their opinion really is your best choice- it doesn't mean that their good intentions are in any way what is really in your best interest!
in fact, if you will remember: it is their opinion, and the decision must be the one the deciding individual can live with, as they are ultimately responsible.
3- life experiences really are the meat of the problem - but as stated above: people can go through the exact same life experiences and take away completely different lessons (see: eyewitness testimony argument)
4- sometimes is not every time. you even note that all people are biased, so how is this more clinical or logical?
5- this is just actually proving my point: the assumption of authority or greater experience is the tool of coercion

Now, if you read my post, you will see, above, my comment about eyewitness testimony. this is the exact same thing: just because you have been there doesn't mean things are exactly the same, nor does it mean that you will perceive things exactly as another person. this cannot be stressed enough.

the actual point and conversation started because of your anger over people judging Cap. the argument Cap gave was: he would urge his daughter to have an abortion. this is tantamount to coercion. there was NO indication of request for opinion or personal experience which you are now arguing -this is a distraction, or red herring.... why are you trying to shift the argument?
Why are you now focused on arguing "left wing" or ad hominem, pushing censorship etc?
As you admit, urging is not about reducing the total number of choices, therefore urging by its very nature is not anti-choice. Therefore all the outrage about Capracus being anti-choice is unjustified. Q.E.D.
1- urging is not about the total number of choices, however, it does reduce the choices available to an individual through selective pressures, so, it is anti-choice, especially when given without request.
2- all the "outrage" is justified because there was no indication Cap was requested to share opinion. it was simply a statement of: i would urge abortion
3- you are arguing a point of perceived moral superiority without comprehending the argument fully
4- just because you don't believe (through your own cultural training) that parental figures can have ulterior motivations doesn't mean it is not true
5- just because you don't understand the differences between choice and coercion doesn't mean it aint coercion (perhaps you should go back through the thread and re-read the arguments again... specifically, read about coercion, the definition, and how peer, family, social etc pressures can force a person into making decisions)

you are circling, IMHO
your argument has twisted itself into a knot of confusion and you keep coming back to Cap.
IOW - you are simply trying to justify your own position with circular reasoning. this is similar to Conspiracy Ideation or Trolls who argue about scientific matters like AGW with no evidence (or debunked evidence- i am NOT trying to introduce a new topic, so don't bother trying to argue the science there). You can see this same tactic explained in this article: http://phys.org/news/2014-10-ironclad-logic-conspiracy-theories.html
it appears, IMHO, that since you have no legitimate points or argument, you will simply apply semantic games, ad hominem, distractions or red herrings from the topic, intentional misrepresentations and accusations, Non sequitur and circular logic to press your position, much like in the article.

Last edited:
It seems that mothers have the right to kill their unborn children.

Personally:
The clump of cells argument didn't sell me. Those were no anonymous clump of cells, they were the very special and specialized cells of a developing human being.
I find many abortions to be morally repugnant, cowardly, and dangerous.
I've known 3 women who had had abortions during their teen years, and then later were unable to bear children due to scarring(I was married to one of them).
(caveat: I'm old, and these abortions were done pre roe v wade---but done in hospitals and masked as "Dilation and Curettage" 'following miscarriages")

Does anyone know of statistics comparing abortions to IQs of the "mothers"?
Personal speculation is that they would be above average......././?
IF that holds true, then what?
Are we diminishing the intelligentsia while breeding lumpen?
Without any stats, all is a guess.

Meanwhile, even though abortion is the leading cause of death in this country, and almost seems epidemic, and the fact that i quite often find it morally repugnant, I cannot imagine any workable humanistic legislation which would deny a woman the right to kill her unborn children without directly diminishing/abrogating her natural rights as a human being.

Funny thing about sitting on a fence, some days it almost feels like a hemorrhoid.

Personally:
The clump of cells argument didn't sell me. Those were no anonymous clump of cells, they were the very special and specialized cells of a developing human being.
I agree. I think it is a poorly constructed argument that diminishes /ignores/minimizes empathy that people have for not only baby humans, but for a large part, baby anythings.

How so? I mean repugnant seems to me to be a bit harsh. And I dont understand the cowardly/dangerous aspect, from your point of view.
I've known 3 women who had had abortions during their teen years, and then later were unable to bear children due to scarring(I was married to one of them).
(caveat: I'm old, and these abortions were done pre roe v wade---but done in hospitals and masked as "Dilation and Curettage" 'following miscarriages")
My great-aunts abortion was back-alley. When she had to go to the hospital for bleeding, the doctor gave her (and her husband) a head start out of town before he reported it (as required). Back then it was easier to disappear. She was also left unable to have kids because of this.

I think that will be nearly impossible to determine. Of the people I know who have had abortions, I doubt any of them would agree to be in such a study.

Side note: I remember watching televised portions (may have been news segments) of the abortion debate back then and (cant remember if it NY or Fed level) talking about (not an exact quote): Legalizing abortion will reduce the number of black children being born...

I have searched and searched for this clip and have come up empty so far. But hints are out there:
http://liveactionnews.org/actually-rep-holmes-racism-was-a-factor-in-legalizing-abortion/

I agree. I think it is a poorly constructed argument that diminishes /ignores/minimizes empathy that people have for not only baby humans, but for a large part, baby anythings.

How so? I mean repugnant seems to me to be a bit harsh. And I dont understand the cowardly/dangerous aspect, from your point of view.

My great-aunts abortion was back-alley. When she had to go to the hospital for bleeding, the doctor gave her (and her husband) a head start out of town before he reported it (as required). Back then it was easier to disappear. She was also left unable to have kids because of this.

I think that will be nearly impossible to determine. Of the people I know who have had abortions, I doubt any of them would agree to be in such a study.

re·pug·nant
rəˈpəɡnənt/
adjective
extremely distasteful; unacceptable.
"the thought of going back into the fog was repugnant to him"
synonyms:abhorrent, revolting, repulsive, repellent, disgusting, offensive,objectionable, cringeworthy, vile, foul, nasty, loathsome, sickening,nauseating,
hateful, detestable, execrable, abominable, monstrous,appalling, insufferable, intolerable, unacceptable, contemptible,unsavory, unpalatable;
informal ghastly, gross, horrible, horrid;
literary noisome
  1. OK maybe repugnant was a tad harsh?
  2. cowardly= "I'm not ready to care for a baby." etc...acting out of fear...
  3. dangerous-----infertility due to scarring

See dysgenic reproduction
After an unwanted pregnancy has occurred, higher IQ couples are more likely to obtain abortions (Cohen, 1978).
alternately:
http://garthzietsman.blogspot.com/2011/12/intelligent-thinking-about-abortion.html

Those were no anonymous clump of cells, they were the very special and specialized cells of a developing human being.
i can understand your attachment to the thought, but as i stated elsewhere: people seem to think humans are something special. there is no consideration for the avian abortions we like to call breakfast... or bovine tasty treats of youth... so why should a cellular undeveloped ball of flesh hold a more significant place in the psyche simply because it is homo sapiens sapiens?
some of that may well be simply a matter of our psychological attachment and cultural training, really
No, i am not trying to be crass, either. i am simply bringing up a valid point that the sensitivity seems to be unnaturally high only for our species, but not for similar and far more productive cellular constructs that are far more survivable and useful to the ecosystem considering the time frame
perhaps your emotional repulsion is more because of your cultural and personal experience?
that would be an interesting study... but i don't see the relevance... are you suggesting that there is a connection?
how would we prove it?
NIH should hold stats that could be examined, but it would require some work considering the Privacy act of 1976 and current HIPA laws

about this & the link:
After an unwanted pregnancy has occurred, higher IQ couples are more likely to obtain abortions (Cohen, 1978).
alternately:
http://garthzietsman.blogspot.com/2011/12/intelligent-thinking-about-abortion.html

where is the study?

Personally:

as stated before (and above) - there doesn't seem to be any problems with people aborting chickens for breakfast to feed our protein and cholesterol needs, nor does there seem to be a problem with fish, bovines or most any other species.
we justify this in the name of the food pyramid and survival, but somehow assign some moral indignation when it is homo sapiens sapiens?
Why?

and i am not trying to minimize empathy nor ignore it...
i am trying to understand the justification for the completely irrational and illogical assignment of moral "offense" at abortion while ignoring the exact same situation elsewhere

IMHO, that is the height of hypocrisy
considering the argument poorly constructed on stating it minimizes empathy is just another self serving method to justify personal belief systems that are otherwise not supported by evidence or facts

i can understand your attachment to the thought, but as i stated elsewhere: people seem to think humans are something special. there is no consideration for the avian abortions we like to call breakfast... or bovine tasty treats of youth... so why should a cellular undeveloped ball of flesh hold a more significant place in the psyche simply because it is homo sapiens sapiens?
some of that may well be simply a matter of our psychological attachment and cultural training, really
No, i am not trying to be crass, either. i am simply bringing up a valid point that the sensitivity seems to be unnaturally high only for our species, but not for similar and far more productive cellular constructs that are far more survivable and useful to the ecosystem considering the time frame

perhaps your emotional repulsion is more because of your cultural and personal experience?

that would be an interesting study... but i don't see the relevance... are you suggesting that there is a connection?
how would we prove it?
NIH should hold stats that could be examined, but it would require some work considering the Privacy act of 1976 and current HIPA laws

about this & the link:
where is the study?
Maybe it's a matter of not wanting anything you won't eat killed? I've eaten pretty much anything that swims, crawls, walks, flies, etc---------to the best of my knowledge, I've never eaten a carnivore nor a human-but then again, who really knows what's in spam?

And, then, of course my emotions are much governed by my experiences.

--connection? perhaps, perhaps not---------ergo the question

the studies
http://www.eugenics.net/papers/eb8.html
http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Dysgenics
see wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_and_intelligence

Last edited:
Definitely true. And your brain is an even more specialized group of cells. Still, sometimes you will have a doctor remove part of those specialized human cells - even healthy ones! - to save you from the threat of a tumor.
They are sometimes dangerous. Sometimes, however, trying to carry the child to term is even more dangerous.
Birth control is a much bigger issue there. People who are not intelligent enough to use birth control when they want to avoid pregnancy have a lot of kids. Fortunately education and availability of birth control helps both reduce unwanted pregnancies and abortions - hence organizations like Planned Parenthood are the best way to combat that issue.

It is actually a case of women having the right to a say over their bodies and being able to exert control over their own bodies.

Your language is emotive. If I were to use your language, I would feel compelled to ask if you view miscarriages as involuntary manslaughter.

Personally:
Which are more often then not, passed through without implanting every month because they fail to implant in the uterine wall.

I have to ask, how do you feel about stem cell research using human embryonic stem cells? Are you aware that many of the diagnostic tools (often targeted for pregnant women) and drug protocols that we now use and take for granted were only possible because of testing on the "anonymous clump of cells"?

For example:

Several new studies have started to address this issue. This has been done either by genetically manipulating the cells, or more recently by deriving diseased cell lines identified by prenatal genetic diagnosis (PGD). This approach may very well prove invaluable at studying disorders such as Fragile-X syndrome, Cystic fibrosis, and other genetic maladies that have no reliable model system.

Yury Verlinsky, a Russian-American medical researcher who specialized in embryo and cellular genetics (genetic cytology), developed prenatal diagnosis testing methods to determine genetic and chromosomal disorders a month and a half earlier than standardamniocentesis. The techniques are now used by many pregnant women and prospective parents, especially those couples with a history of genetic abnormalities or where the woman is over the age of 35, when the risk of genetically related disorders is higher. In addition, by allowing parents to select an embryo without genetic disorders, they have the potential of saving the lives of siblings that already had similar disorders and diseases using cells from the disease free offspring.[20]

Scientists have discovered a new technique for deriving human embryonic stem cell (ESC). Normal ESC lines from different sources of embryonic material including morula and whole blastocysts have been established. These findings allows researchers to construct ESC lines from embryos that acquire different genetic abnormalities; therefore, allowing for recognition of mechanisms in the molecular level that are possibly blocked that could impede the disease progression. The ESC lines originating from embryos with genetic and chromosomal abnormalities provide the data necessary to understand the pathways of genetic defects.[21]

Are you also against this?

But not others?

Why are some morally repugnant and cowardly and dangerous but not others?

By the time I was 24 years of age, I had had to undergo a series of Dilation and Curettage for an ongoing medical condition (at one point, I was having one every few months) which resulted in severe scarring of my uterine wall. I was told that I would never be able to have children, or carry them to term. I did end up having 2 children (much to the shock of my doctors and myself, not to mention my parents and my then partner/husband), in my early 30's, but it is the D&C which caused the severe scarring.

It isn't always abortions that cause infertility issues in women, but often other medical conditions. D&C's can cause infertility issues depending on what it is for, how proficient the doctor is, how much of the uterine lining is removed and what medical condition the woman may have.

Abortions are not cheap for many women, and being able to access them - some have to travel a fair distance, for example - means that, as one researcher found, that women and couples from higher IQ ranges and with better jobs were more likely to access abortions than those who are younger and still in school, for example:

Another study found that after an unwanted pregnancy has occurred, higher IQ couples are more likely to obtain abortions;[33] and unmarried teenage girls who become pregnant are found to be more likely to carry their babies to term if they are doing poorly in school.[34]

But these are old studies, so that may have changed somewhat.

At the end of the day, women from all walks of life may have a need to access a safe medical procedure. Reducing access to this procedure and even things like Mifepristone, which is safe to use, especially in the first few months of pregnancy, will result in women accessing back alley abortions or risking their health and future chances of having children by forcing them to go for a surgical procedure that will scar their uterus because they were not able to access safer options earlier.

Meanwhile, even though abortion is the leading cause of death in this country, and almost seems epidemic
Oh?

In 2011 there were approximately 730,000 abortions in the US. And the rate is going down.

In 2010, the number of women who died as a result of complications from legal abortions were around 10 women.

Deaths of women associated with complications from abortions for 2011 are being investigated as part of CDC's Pregnancy Mortality Surveillance System. In 2010, the most recent year for which data were available, 10 women were identified to have died as a result of complications from known legal induced abortions. No reported deaths were associated with known illegal induced abortions.

Could you please provide the figures that support your claim that abortion is the leading cause of death in the US? I would say only 10 women dying out of over 700,000 abortions is a pretty good figure and to me it seems to be a very safe procedure.

The leading cause of death in the US is heart disease. Not abortion.

and the fact that i quite often find it morally repugnant, I cannot imagine any workable humanistic legislation which would deny a woman the right to kill her unborn children without directly diminishing/abrogating her natural rights as a human being.
That's the issue. There is none.

So people try to ban them completely, often with dire consequences - such as in some South American countries, 11 year old girls are being forced to endure pregnancy and childbirth after falling pregnant to rape and incest, or in Ireland, where a woman miscarrying was denied a D&C because even though it was a clear miscarriage, there was still a foetal heartbeat and the miscarriage became infected, which spread to her blood and she died an agonising death several days later.

Bells:
IF you consider the fertilized egg implanted on the uterine wall to be a rather unique combination of human dna which will grow into a unique human being as already a human being, then the 730,000 aborted human beings are indeed the leading cause of death. (I was referring to the child, not the mother.) What passes through is usually unfertilized and therefore only 1/2 of a potential human being.

And IF you follow a maxim in law which roughly states that if you or a product of yours causes death or disability in another person, you are not just liable for current value of that person, but also liable for the lifetime earning capacity of that person. Then IF an abortion leads to lifetime infertility, and that person would have had 3 children, then the one abortion has caused the non-being of 4 potential people. So your 730,000 number may just be the tip of the iceberg. Seriously, how does one assign a value to an unborn child?

Personally: I had a Friend from Ukraine who considered Stalin's actions which led to starvation and death in Ukraine to also be responsible for the low fertility rates in Ukraine following the starvation---------which, in her mind meant that the actual death toll (because of the non-being of the potential births) was much much higher than the published numbers.
----------
This whole topic gets rather tricky when contemplating not just what is, but what might have been.
And, is therefore beyond any measured form of understanding.
My personal feelings aside, the bottom line remains: IT AIN'T MY DECISION TO MAKE!
The last time I checked, I still ain't a woman.
as/re stemcell research and potential stemcell cures for various medical conditions------------once again, those stemcells ain't mine so it ain't my decision.
From my view from my fence: I applaud the potential benefits from that research.
---------------------
as/re:
It is actually a case of women having the right to a say over their bodies and being able to exert control over their own bodies.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
Of course it's emotional.
Show me a way of quantifying any of the above, and maybe there would be some glimmer of reason or rationality beyond emotion.

There is an old maxim: "There is no accounting for taste." Which is literal as well as figurative, as "taste" is qualitative not quantitative.
Again, on a personal note:
I prefer the scent of a woman to any perfume-so why do most women seem to want to use perfume?
Why do women wear high heels?
In my view, only about 7-10% of women look good in hip-hugger jeans, so why do the other 90-93% wear them?
Why do most men never want to discuss their mother's sexuality?
.................Some days, the depths of my ignorance astounds me.........

Even if I personally do not always approve, I do agree that all women have the right to choose to exert control over their own bodies.
--------------------------------------------------
Thanx for rattling my scaffold Bells, this fence doesn't jut feel like a mild hemorrhoid, but is beginning to feel like a royal pain in the ass.

You know the joke comparing the pains of a kick in the balls to giving birth?

Bells:
IF you consider the fertilized egg implanted on the uterine wall to be a rather unique combination of human dna which will grow into a unique human being as already a human being, then the 730,000 aborted human beings are indeed the leading cause of death. (I was referring to the child, not the mother.) What passes through is usually unfertilized and therefore only 1/2 of a potential human being.
Actually, a miscarriage is the most common form of loss of pregnancy. And when it just passes through, fertilised (most common before the 6th to 7th week), before the woman even realises or knows she is pregnant, it is classified as a miscarriage.

• There are about 4.4 million confirmed pregnancies in the U.S. every year.

• 900,000 to 1 million of those end in pregnancy losses EVERY year.

• More than 500,000 pregnancies each year end in miscarriage (occurring during the first 20 weeks).

• Approximately 26,000 end in stillbirth (considered stillbirth after 20 weeks)

• Approximately 19,000 end in infant death during the first month.

• Approximately 39,000 end in infant death during the first year.

• Approximately 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage; some estimates are as high as 1 in 3. If you include loss that occurs before a positive pregnancy test, some estimate that 40% of all conceptions result in loss.
This is not factoring in abortions.

If you are classifying the abortion as a 'life' lost, then the biggest killer is actually a natural death for the foetus, not through medical intervention.

And IF you follow a maxim in law which roughly states that if you or a product of yours causes death or disability in another person, you are not just liable for current value of that person, but also liable for the lifetime earning capacity of that person. Then IF an abortion leads to lifetime infertility, and that person would have had 3 children, then the one abortion has caused the non-being of 4 potential people. So your 730,000 number may just be the tip of the iceberg. Seriously, how does one assign a value to an unborn child?
The person who assigns value is the person who is carrying it or parent to it.

If you are going to start factoring in the possibility of having children in the future as potential losses, then I would suggest you do not look at the other causes of infertility, or you will go insane.

You simply cannot look at the potential person, that someone may or may not have. For all you know, the person may not have ever wanted to have children, in which case, the potential would be 0 loss.

Personally: I had a Friend from Ukraine who considered Stalin's actions which led to starvation and death in Ukraine to also be responsible for the low fertility rates in Ukraine following the starvation---------which, in her mind meant that the actual death toll (because of the non-being of the potential births) was much much higher than the published numbers.
That is not a real figure though. Circumstances change, people change. To suggest that we look at potential pregnancies that may or may not occur in the future and saying a woman could have gone on to have 3 children, and using those figures results in women being looked at as though they are broodmares.

This whole topic gets rather tricky when contemplating not just what is, but what might have been.
And, is therefore beyond any measured form of understanding.
More "children" die from natural causes - ie miscarriage, during childbirth, stillbirth, SIDS, etc, then through abortion.

You cannot contemplate what is literally impossible to know. Applying amounts of children women may or could have, literally, reduces her to being a broodmare. You cannot do something like that because each woman is different and some women want no children, some might want lots, others only 1-2. Calculating potential losses is what cattle breeders or racehorse breeders do with their breeding cows or horses if something happens and their prize mares can no longer bear the fruit from their loins..

My personal feelings aside, the bottom line remains: IT AIN'T MY DECISION TO MAKE!
The last time I checked, I still ain't a woman.
And I think that is something a lot of people have issues with.

As a woman, it is not my decision to make for another woman. That decision should be hers and hers alone.

as/re stemcell research and potential stemcell cures for various medical conditions------------once again, those stemcells ain't mine so it ain't my decision.
From my view from my fence: I applaud the potential benefits from that research.
Agree.

Of course it's emotional.
Show me a way of quantifying any of the above, and maybe there would be some glimmer of reason or rationality beyond emotion.
Your comment that it is not your decision to make.

I do feel that saying it is cowardly, for example, is going too far. You don't know what the situation is for women who have abortions and I find it is best not to judge them for a decision that is very hard to make.

Thanx for rattling my scaffold Bells, this fence doesn't jut feel like a mild hemorrhoid, but is beginning to feel like a royal pain in the ass.
They have topical creams for those.. ;)

Maybe it's a matter of not wanting anything you won't eat killed?
Yeah... maybe.
it could also be a psychological safety??
... or at least, something evolved to insure the propagation of the species...
to the best of my knowledge, I've never eaten a carnivore nor a human-but then again, who really knows what's in spam?
I've eaten plenty of carnivore... but not human (to the best of my knowledge)
a few Simians, though... does that count? LOL
and i am not sure even the company knows what is in spam ... maybe we should ask the Pythons?

the studies
Thanks for that... i appreciate it
i am going to DL and read... i found a couple from the author you mentioned, but not specifically the abortion issue/IQ

EDIT: continuation of above

sculptor
i have these links... but they do not discuss IQ relations to abortions... only fertility, which is another topic entirely... did you have anything else?
(or did i miss something important?)

the closest one is the first "unwanted births" eugenics link, and it isnt a study... but i will be going through it's references as time allows

Last edited:
It's not an argument, but an observation, in my posts: everyone treats a first trimester embryo - up to about 12 weeks - as a clump of cells, and always has, in every circumstance except abortion. Most people carry that assessment for several more weeks, and do things like discard removed ectopic pregnancies - still alive - into the garbage with removed appendices, without a second thought.

None of the opposition to abortion derives from a prior assessment of a human embryo or early stage fetus as a person, in other words. Consider the frequency of miscarriage and the paucity of grave markers or death registries, at any time in history or among any group today.

sculptor said:
Repugnant and cowardly cannot be argued, but dangerous they are not - they are by far the safest response to pregnancy.
sculptor said:
The legacy of illegality in abortion is indeed an ugly one, and full of tragedy of many kinds.

Back