Votes: 5 14.7%
  • A Woman's Choice

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • A Crude Form of Birth Control

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Unfortunate but Often Necessary

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
A personal choice made by the person who chooses to end their own life, in most cases. If I have a living will that stipulates the option of pulling the plug, them yes, it is permissible. In rare cases, very rare cases, the family might be given the opportunity to dictate death for another family member, but I would be surprised if that would go unchallenged.
It is done quite often in the case of a couple; one makes the medical decisions for the other, including discontinuance of life support.

It has to do with the number of cells and the differentiation of structures.
OK. At six months gestational time, the number of cells and the differentiation of structures has reached a plateau in the developing fetus; the next big structural change (beyond simple size changes) happens at puberty. Does that mean that a six month old fetus is human, but a five month old one is not?

It is done quite often in the case of a couple; one makes the medical decisions for the other, including discontinuance of life support.
Yet we read stories where that option is denied. Also, we must assume that normal life is beyond reach for that person, where an infant, in most pregnancies, shows all hope of a fully functional existence.

Well, murder is a social construction. You just want to expand the construction to include a fetus to the exclusion of all mitigating factors. Women and their physicians don't just wake up one day and decide it's a good day to abort a fetus. This isn't an easy decision for them and there are good reasons for abortion.
All of our perceived rights are social constructions. To a certain degree our society has already extended rights of physical integrity to a fetus, and when those rights are violated, just as they are with full persons, society imposes punitive sanctions on the violators. The vast majority of women and physicians are socially conditioned to be respectful of the ethical standards that currently govern maternity. Likewise, the vast majority of people are socially conditioned to respect our laws governing assault and murder. Regulation in these two cases is for the minority who for whatever reason fail to acquire or maintain that respect.

Women and their physicians are more qualified to make these decisions than any government or religious leader could ever hope to be.
Some women and physicians most defiantly are more qualified than a compromised oriented government, but that’s true in all cases of social policy. But at least the government position offers protection from the least qualified side of the equation.

People are born every day and people die every day. Sometimes even the same people.

All these people trying to deny women the choice of whether to gestate - under the banner of "saving the lives of the unborn" - well I don't see those same people making any fuss over the lives of those that have already been born.

well I don't see those same people making any fuss over the lives of those that have already been born.
You're not looking and quite possibly assuming. I'll give you this, there are many who need our charity, and there is never enough to cover all.

No, it's not BS.

It's a lot more common than you think.

Heck, it was even a major plot point in the Harry Potter Universe.

I would suggest that all life struggles to survive, including the fetus. Also, have you ever had a miscarriage?
I see, and you wish to make that struggle much harder than it should be by forcing women to carry children they don't want.

Back