In goes another nail: Pierolapithecus catalaunicus

guthrie said:
Actually, I can't seem to find any history books not written by archeologists or using archeological evidence. Your point is presumably that all their dates are wrong?

:rolleyes:
Since you want us to do all your digging for you, heres some links:
http://www.geocities.com/we_evolve/Origins/ori_main.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB035.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB035_2.html
I think they'll answer some of your questions. Needless to say, these are still under development, so if you can come up with any new evidence I'm sure the researchers will be glad to know.

That was in 1950. In 2004, they know better. look up Bristlecone pines. They have been used to calibrate C14 for over 5,000 years back.
I think this should answer your questions:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood-c14.html
Or this quote:
"It has also been tested on items whose age is known through historical records, such as parts of the dead sea scrolls and some wood from an Egyptian tomb [Watson 2001; MNSU n.d.]."

They have done so, as pointed out above.

Sometimes it did wear away. Other times the layer of sediment has been compressed, like with coal. Oddly enough I think you'll find that its hard to find fossils in layers of sediment that have been highly compressed. Do you have any evidence to back up your claims, like photos of strata?
Thank you Guthrie, some of these are good links... This seems to be the only intelligent response I have gotten.

Yes, all archeological dates are wrong, if they used C14. Yes, all archeological dates are wrong if they used the bible (which all Egyptian, Babylonian, Hittite and indeed all of the entire Mediteranean dates are based upon - but that is another topic). Perhaps I should not be so bold as to say all, but I can still say highly suspect.

I have tried to keep up with these theories, and I have read most of these before. Of course, the different camps point out how the other's theories must be wrong - but that is how science is supposed to work. I have taken the time to read your links, would you do me the courtesy of reading mine? (Note, even though the first one is on a Creation site, there is no mention of creation or of God).

http://www.creationism.org/vonfange/vonFangeTimeUpDownChap04.htm
http://www.diveturkey.com/inaturkey/uluburun/dendrochron.htm

I was under the impression that the tree ring work was still in progress - the problem being the ability to find overlapping tree rings from common areas since trees obviously don't live longer than a maximum of 2000 years. I am astounded at the claim that they can go back over 8000 years, especially with the overlap problems as noted here. I will continue to investigate, thank you.

In the second link above note the following quote:
In the hope of obtaining an absolute date for the ship, seven wood samples taken from the keel-plank, planking, and cedar logs were submitted to Peter Kuniholm of Comell University for dendrochronological dating. While some samples did not have a sufficient number of tree rings to match the established master sequence, others with more rings appeared not to match at all. A large log-like piece of undetermined purpose, but with its outer layers trimmed, yielded a date of 1441 B.C. ±37 years, the uncertainty factor arising from the carbon dating of samples constituting the floating master conifer-ring sequence.​
Please tell it isn’t so! Carbon 14 dating is used to place the pieces of the master sequence in the proper order at the proper date? If C14 is used to establish the master sequence then how can the master sequence be used to calibrate C14?

You have to be careful with tree rings since the climate is important: Tree rings come in pairs, one light and the next dark:
Trees also add one ring for each rainy season within a year. If the climate of a particular region is wet year-round, as in the tropics, rings tend to be very thick and almost indistinguishable. If the climate of an area has two distinct rainy seasons separated by periods of no rain, trees will add two rings per year. Now, here's a problem to consider. How might one interpret tree rings if an area with bimodal rainfall experiences an anomalous year in which there is only one rainy season? Clearly, dendrochronology isn't as easy and clear-cut as it might seem at first glance. ref
So it turns out that counting rings does not give an age in years but an age in seasons – wet/dry cycles. In parts of the world where we live in bimodal conditions (most of the US, and at least part of Europe, where the rains come in the Spring and in the Fall) then there are actually two ring-pairs laid down per year – making an 8000 ring-pair sample actually cover only 4000 years or so. I was under the impression that dendrochronological calibration of C14 was still under way. To see someone claim the process is complete is astounding.

Concerning C14 dating and calibration:
Carbon 14 dating is based upon a number of important assumptions, but only one will be discussed here. In order to compare C14 dates meaningfully, we must assume that all organisms contained the same amount of C14 when they died. Otherwise, organisms with less C14 will appear older because there will be less C14 than expected when the sample is tested. Unfortunately, that assumption is faulty.

As Mary Hudson explained in her Aucilla River Times article two years ago, C14 is created by cosmic radiation in the upper atmosphere. That radiation fluctuates year to year and therefore so does the creation of C14 . That means if our branch grew at a time when relatively lower levels of C14 were in the atmosphere, it would have less C14 when it died and would show an older apparent age than it should. Conversely, if it grew at a time of abundant C14 it would appear younger than it should. This differential C14 concentration may give our branch a younger C14 age than another branch that died hundreds of years after our branch, making comparison of the two samples misleading.

The only way to resolve this uncertainty is to calibrate the C14 dates with calendar dates. This calibration has been done by compiling a dendrochronological (tree-ring) record and painstakingly figuring the C14 age of these tree rings. This tree-ring record now extends back about 11,500 years, and by comparing the calendar age of the tree rings with their radiocarbon age, calibration curves have been created to produce a calendar date for a corresponding C14 date. The differential production of C14 produces “wiggles” in the calibration curves, and these wiggles can result in a single radiocarbon age corresponding to more than one calendar age. – ref
Notice in the figure in the reference that many dates can correspond to a single C14 level (found on the vertical axis). Note that at the 10500 year level the amount drops off! According to the theory, low levels should have been billions of years ago when C14 first started being produced in the atmosphere! (I doubt the level stays at this low range but I had fun saying the previous statement anyway). This calibration table was based upon dendrochronological dating, which itself has serious issues as I have already discussed.

Another problem for C14 is that the levels of C14 have been rising for the past few decades. The common excuse put forward by C14 advocates is that dating within the past 150 years is not possible since the levels of C14 in the atmosphere have been artificially raised due to nuclear testing. The average solar lumination all over the world is 164 Watts per square meter over a 24 hour day (as high as 300 Watts per square meter at high noon) and the surface area of the entire Earth is 509,600,000,000,000 square meters so the sun delivers about 7.22 E21 joules per day (5.096E14 * 24hours * 3600sec * 164watts = 7.22 billion-trillion joules per day). The average output from a nuclear bomb is about 1.5 E14 joules (150 trillion joules). If there were an average nuclear bomb exploded every single day, the effect on the Earth would be less than one billionth (0.000002%) of what the sun normally delivers. There has never been a time when nuclear bombs were exploded every day. Such a claim is absurd. The truth is that C14 levels are naturally rising, putting to sever question the assumption about original level of C14 in specimens which died in the past. Without knowing the original levels, no meaningful dating can be done.

I particularly liked the link about Green River and Fossil Lake. The data indicated that the layers put down annually accumulated at an average of 0.18mm per year. The fish fossils averaged about 18cm in length which I would think would mean about 2-3cm in thickness. The rebuttal article tried to say that organics would in fact be well preserved on the bottom of the lake and cited a story of a human body, which was preserved for 5 years and was still in somewhat recognizable state. However, the humans were inside a car, not on the lake bottom. Further, at the indicated rate, it would take, not 5 years to cover a 2-3cm thick fish but 150years - and this is just to get the fish covered over with the smallest layer of sediment. Fossilization requires a thick covering (some pressure from the sediment) so we are not talking about 150years to just get the fish covered by many times that to provide the correct conditions for fossilization. How is it this can be explained? How can a fish survive without decomposition for hundreds of years? Far from debunking the younger age of the region claimed by creationists, the debunk article has actually added good data to support such a claim.

Thank you again Guthrie for an intellegent response.

Last edited:
Andre said:
And this one may be of special interest.

But you need to sign up for a (free) acccount first.
It is interesting that you mention Shoshank I and that you equate him to Shishak of the Bible. This link is one of the two foundational links in Egyptology, and current efforts are being made to severe both this link and the older link (Rameses II to the Exodus) because there is no foundation for these links whatsoever (no evidence that Shoshank ever went to Jerusalem nor any evidence that Rameses every had millions of Hebrew slaves). Interestingly, when you severe these links and let the evidence speak for itself, Shoshank I moves to the 600BC range, which means your proof is actually proof of a falsehood!

A note to everyone.

It seems I am being ganged up on, which is fine. I am trying to answer, but these things take research and thought (I flippently answered Andre about C13 and got it wrong - which I really don't want to do). I am doing my best, please be patient. I do have a regular life to live which includes a vacation for the next couple of days.

Andre said:
Bye david I hope you have a nice life on your world.
I will. I live in a world where we believe in facts, not fantasy theories.

As I have told others before you, Evolution requires more faith than religion - actually it has become the religion of the intellectual elites. Perhaps you fit in that category? Is Evolution your religion?

Michael said:
It seems to me that your entire argument stems from this idea of a watchmaker. Maybe you should read: The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design I’m sure it will answer many of these questions for you.

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with disagreement, that’s how science marches forward. But, I do not see where you think I have a disagreement with the field?

The notion of replication and replicators has similarities with the notions of evolution, and may in fact have precipitated from evolution – however, evolution is not abiogenesis.

Although - obviously abiogenesis occurred at some point – else we wouldn’t be here having this conversation :)

As to flies and men, most of the biochemical pathways have been described in flies and found to be the same pathways in humans (see: any biochemistry text book). However, the proteins are not always identical (for example the human p75 protein is 75% identical to it’s counterpart in mice).

This is evidence of a common ancestor, whether you care to believe it or not.

By the way, what exactly is it you have a problem with concerning evolution?
I have no problem with species variation at all, although the variation is not necessarily caused by DNA modification/mutation I have a huge problem with common ancestory and with abiogenesis. Nether of these ideas has any foundation at all. I am right now looking at a current, in use biochemestry book from our local college which presents three different possibilities for the origin of life: 1) Special Creation, 2) Extraterrestrial origin, and 3) Spontaneous origin. Since the first two are simply story form and are unprovable, there is no point to any scientific discussion concerning them. The third, according to this textbook, has (at present) five different possible explainations, a) Ocean Edge (reducing atmosphere), b) Under frozen oceans, c) Deep in the Earth's Crust, d) Within Clay, and e) At deep-sea vents. These theories are interesting because each of the theories primarily discusses why the other four cannot be true.

Please don't misunderstand my intentions. I am not trying to lead anyone down the Creation path. Creation, true or false, is unprovable and thus only available to those with Faith. I am trying to stick strickly with science and simply show how current scientific theories are nonviable. There are a few facts pointing to a younger version of Earth (certainly more than 6000 years) and there are a few facts pointing to a more mature Earth. However, there are no facts at all that I can find which point to an age in the billions of years.

I started as a young, eager science studend in the seventies. I was excited to study how things worked and what things were made of - how the universe worked. What I found instead was an institution of relics, teaching nonsense to students who never bothered to raise their hands, or their heads, and ask, Why? I have been asking why ever since and my conclusions have been (independant of any creation philosophy) that most of the so-called science of the 20th century is simply wrong. This is primarily due to extrapolation - taking known facts and theories and extrapolating them into unknown areas where the theories simply don't work and were never intended to work. The second problem is making unwarrented, untested assumptions about conditions far away or long ago, which end up coloring the results of any test and make those results useless. Science is not something we may speculate about. Science should stick to what can actually be verified and leave speculation and story telling to the theologians (they are good at making up stories to please the public).

David F.: I have no problem with species variation at all, although the variation is not necessarily caused by DNA modification/mutation I have a huge problem with common ancestory and with abiogenesis. Nether of these ideas has any foundation at all.
M*W: David, I have a couple of questions I'd like for you to answer. If the Earth is dated to be only a little more than 6,000 years old, how does that explain some of the unearthed peoples right here in the US who existed some 35,000 years ago? First, I visited a little Native American site deep in Appalachia a few years ago. The artifacts found in the dig dated these peoples to have lived in that area some 35,000 years ago. Secondly, can you explain why archeologists found Catal Huyuk in Anatolia (Turkey) to have many relics from a female dominated society where archeologists have dated these cultures and those following the Neolithic Period to be anywhere from 15,000 - 8,000BC. Can you explain that? At 6,500BC Anatolia had an advanced civilization. So, how could these societies have been dated to before the earth was made? Certainly, all the archeologists and scientists can't be wrong.

David F. said:
I have no problem with species variation at all, although the variation is not necessarily caused by DNA modification/mutation I have a huge problem with common ancestory and with abiogenesis. Nether of these ideas has any foundation at all.

1) I posted the link: Early events in speciation: polymorphism for hybrid male sterility in Drosophila

What is your "problem" with their study? Where are they wrong? Please be specific. (PS: As you are doing a PhD I am sure your campus library will have a copy of the journal - either online or in hard copy - it is PNAS after all)

2) No foundation at all huh?

a) Commonly shared proteins and biochemical pathways within different species - what exactly was your explanation for this?

b) abiogenesis did occur - the foundation is all around you.

c) closing your eyes to reality and stomping your feet isn't going to change it.

3) could you respond to Silas :) on this point?

“But your claim that there is no known explanation is based solely on your own inability to accept the explanations that science gives you. You are at liberty to point out the many times that science has been wrong in the past, but to do so with the current consensus, you must show some valid unexplained or unexplainable phenomena which proves the current paradigm to be incorrect - which you have failed to do. You simply continue to state and restate your incredulity, which is not a valid argument.”

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand David's point - I could see where he was at with ice core dating, after all, that's not really something that many of us could easily pick up without a lot of extensive training and understanding.

But David doesn't believe in tree ring dating? It's like, some scientific discovery has just come along showing that rings are put on in pairs per year so that the number of rings is in fact twice as many as the age of the tree. But surely, people have counted the rings of trees of which the age was already known, surely? I mean, wasn't that how tree ring dating was discovered?

It seems to me that the arborealists who count the rings on trees do so from a position of knowing a lot about trees, and fully understanding (through study which has taken place over what must be at least 200 years or more) the processes which a tree undergoes in its life cycle, and precisely what is involved with putting a ring on. So if David has just found out that you count a year's age by counting a light ring and then a dark ring, I think the arborealists know that, and take it into account when measuring the enormous age of Bristlecone Pines, for instance. It seems to me that a light-dark pair would be considered as "a ring" for counting purposes.

There are a few facts pointing to a younger version of Earth (certainly more than 6000 years) and there are a few facts pointing to a more mature Earth. However, there are no facts at all that I can find which point to an age in the billions of years.

Such as?

This thread was trollishly begun in the religion forum. Talk of this latest find really belongs in the biology forum.

David, you keep playing dodgeball about your status as a creationist. But if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....

Rather than throw brickbats at Darwins theory, (which has been accepted in a modified form for over a century by leading biologists, and is part of a mosaic of credible work on the age of this planet) why not give us an alternate explanation without resorting to unprovable and untestable magic? Sorry, no supernatural beings allowed.

David, Silas. Limit yourselves to one post at a time. If you have something else to say after you have already posted, please use the edit function. It makes it easier on everyone.

David F. said:
I am trying to stick strickly with science and simply show how current scientific theories are nonviable.
You are not, in fact, showing any such thing - you are simply stating and re-stating your incredulity. You also have a habit of cherry-picking which science you believe and which science you don't believe (need I say, "Common Creationist technique"?)

David F. said:
There are a few facts pointing to a younger version of Earth (certainly more than 6000 years) and there are a few facts pointing to a more mature Earth. However, there are no facts at all that I can find which point to an age in the billions of years.
The best I can do is refer you to http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html . You will say of course that radiometric dating is predicated on an unchanging decay rate, and how do we know the decay rate is unchanging? The page has a reference for that, too.
A nice (technical) summary is given by Sisterna and Vucetich (1991) . Among the phenomena they look at are:

searches for changes in the radius of Mercury, the Moon, and Mars (these would change because of changes in the strength of interactions within the materials that they are formed from);
searches for long term ("secular") changes in the orbits of the Moon and the Earth --- measured by looking at such diverse phenomena as ancient solar eclipses and coral growth patterns;
ranging data for the distance from Earth to Mars, using the Viking spacecraft;
data on the orbital motion of a binary pulsar PSR 1913+16;
observations of long-lived isotopes that decay by beta decay (Re 187, K 40, Rb 87) and comparisons to isotopes that decay by different mechanisms;
the Oklo natural nuclear reactor (mentioned in another posting);
experimental searches for differences in gravitational attraction between different elements (Eotvos-type experiments);
absorption lines of quasars (fine structure and hyperfine splittings);
laboratory searches for changes in the mass difference between the K0 meson and its antiparticle.
While it is not obvious, each of these observations is sensitive to changes in the physical constants that control radioactive decay. For example, a change in the strength of weak interactions (which govern beta decay) would have different effects on the binding energy, and therefore the gravitational attraction, of different elements. Similarly, such changes in binding energy would affect orbital motion, while (more directly) changes in interaction strengths would affect the spectra we observe in distant stars.

The observations are a mixture of very sensitive laboratory tests, which do not go very far back in time but are able to detect extremely small changes, and astronomical observations, which are somewhat less precise but which look back in time. (Remember that processes we observe in a star a million light years away are telling us about physics a million years ago.) While any single observation is subject to debate about methodology, the combined results of such a large number of independent tests are hard to argue with.
....though I'm sure you'll give it a try.

For a review of a specific dating method which is self-correcting, there's also http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/isochron-dating.html.

David F. said:
http://www.diveturkey.com/inaturkey/uluburun/dendrochron.htm

I was under the impression that the tree ring work was still in progress - the problem being the ability to find overlapping tree rings from common areas since trees obviously don't live longer than a maximum of 2000 years. I am astounded at the claim that they can go back over 8000 years, especially with the overlap problems as noted
In the second link above note the following quote:
In the hope of obtaining an absolute date for the ship, seven wood samples taken from the keel-plank, planking, and cedar logs were submitted to Peter Kuniholm of Comell University for dendrochronological dating. While some samples did not have a sufficient number of tree rings to match the established master sequence, others with more rings appeared not to match at all. A large log-like piece of undetermined purpose, but with its outer layers trimmed, yielded a date of 1441 B.C. ±37 years, the uncertainty factor arising from the carbon dating of samples constituting the floating master conifer-ring sequence.​
Please tell it isn’t so! Carbon 14 dating is used to place the pieces of the master sequence in the proper order at the proper date? If C14 is used to establish the master sequence then how can the master sequence be used to calibrate C14?
The first point about overlapping is that Bristlecone pines have lived longer than 2,000 years.
I think this might answer your point:
http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/dendro.html

Secondly, the dendrochronological record can be extended backwards by use of timbers from boats as you have already found, or in countries like the UK and Ireland, timber found in bogs. Or used in buildings, there still a few 700 year old roofs and timber buildings in the UK. Needless to say it has taken decades to build up a decent picture, which is where the controversy over the boat comes in. You'll agree I am sure that if it was the case in this case that they were counting the rings one a year instead of 2 a year, the boat would turn out to be dated to about 400AD or so, which would be rather odd given the artefacts found on board. Also, 37 years + or - isnt too bad. Thats not enough to throw out the entire system, merely enough for you to avoid saying "Its from 1440BC". A good sensible archeologist will use the error bars, like you do in experiments in chemistry and physics. The fact that many history book authors will leave them out is a reflection of a need/ desire to keep things simple for the public or just carelessness.
As far as I can work out, reference to the "floating sequence" is because it covers timbers found in ships, or else a series of timbers that do not have a proper date and place assigned to them in the sequence yet. Maybe because they are too small a sample, or maybe because they grew in out of the way microclimates. ONe or two small exceptions do not destroy a theory, it is the cumulative massive errors that lead people on to find the evidence that replaces the old paradigm.

David F. said:
ref[/indent]
So it turns out that counting rings does not give an age in years but an age in seasons – wet/dry cycles. In parts of the world where we live in bimodal conditions (most of the US, and at least part of Europe, where the rains come in the Spring and in the Fall) then there are actually two ring-pairs laid down per year – making an 8000 ring-pair sample actually cover only 4000 years or so. I was under the impression that dendrochronological calibration of C14 was still under way. To see someone claim the process is complete is astounding.
And? The key here is cross correlation and widespread sample collecting. You'll notice the link did little more than point out a problem with tree rings that you need to be aware of, not that itwas all lies foisted upon us by liars.

David F. said:
The only way to resolve this uncertainty is to calibrate the C14 dates with calendar dates. This calibration has been done by compiling a dendrochronological (tree-ring) record and painstakingly figuring the C14 age of these tree rings. This tree-ring record now extends back about 11,500 years, and by comparing the calendar age of the tree rings with their radiocarbon age, calibration curves have been created to produce a calendar date for a corresponding C14 date. The differential production of C14 produces “wiggles” in the calibration curves, and these wiggles can result in a single radiocarbon age corresponding to more than one calendar age. – ref[/indent]
Notice in the figure in the reference that many dates can correspond to a single C14 level (found on the vertical axis). Note that at the 10500 year level the amount drops off! According to the theory, low levels should have been billions of years ago when C14 first started being produced in the atmosphere! (I doubt the level stays at this low range but I had fun saying the previous statement anyway). This calibration table was based upon dendrochronological dating, which itself has serious issues as I have already discussed.
The reason it shows it dropping off at 10500 is because its a chart showing correlations of years with a sample, and the statistical matching of a sample that has been dated already. ITs about a computer program that calibrates C14 dates> I believe the quote you want is this:

"There are presently a few computer programs available over the Internet that automatically calibrate C14 dates. The latest version of OxCal v.3 is fairly simple to use and produces information like the graph in Figure 1. The program can be downloaded from http://units.ox.ac.uk/departments/rlaha/oscal_h.html. By inserting a C14 date of 10,000 ± 100 for our branch, OxCal produced a range of calibrated dates with different confidences. Just like C14 dates, calibrated dates are given in a range."

David F. said:
Another problem for C14 is that the levels of C14 have been rising for the past few decades. The common excuse put forward by C14 advocates is that dating within the past 150 years is not possible since the levels of C14 in the atmosphere have been artificially raised due to nuclear testing.
Do you have a link for this assertion?

David F. said:
The average solar lumination all over the world is 164 Watts per square meter over a 24 hour day (as high as 300 Watts per square meter at high noon) and the surface area of the entire Earth is 509,600,000,000,000 square meters so the sun delivers about 7.22 E21 joules per day (5.096E14 * 24hours * 3600sec * 164watts = 7.22 billion-trillion joules per day). The average output from a nuclear bomb is about 1.5 E14 joules (150 trillion joules). If there were an average nuclear bomb exploded every single day, the effect on the Earth would be less than one billionth (0.000002%) of what the sun normally delivers.
Unfortunately that is mince, since C14 is created by the impact of cosmic ray neutrons upon Nitrogen14.
http://www.c14dating.com/int.html
Its not a matter of energy, its the form its in.
Right thats enough for just now.

Silas said:
You are not, in fact, showing any such thing - you are simply stating and re-stating your incredulity. You also have a habit of cherry-picking which science you believe and which science you don't believe (need I say, "Common Creationist technique"?)

The best I can do is refer you to http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html . You will say of course that radiometric dating is predicated on an unchanging decay rate, and how do we know the decay rate is unchanging? The page has a reference for that, too. ....though I'm sure you'll give it a try.

For a review of a specific dating method which is self-correcting, there's also http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/isochron-dating.html.

Why would I question the decay rate? Of course the decay rate is constant - at least it is with a large sample. Decay is a statistical process where approximately half the sample decays in the given "half-life". Apparently (although no one knows why) each atom has a 50% chance of decaying within the given half-life (which is different for each radio-active isotope). As long as the sample is large, the rate will be constant. When the sample gets smaller (less than a 1000 or so atoms) then the rate becomes less predictable. When the sample becomes really small, say less than 10 atoms, then the decay rate becomes statistically unpredictable. When you have only one atom, then there is no predictability at all as to whether it will decay sometime within the given half-life.

Notice the equation from your reference:

equatn-1.gif

I have never questioned the math or the science. I have only questioned the value given for the initial quantity (P-orig). This amount is always an unproven assumption which I can see no valid reason to believe. I see here an equation with four variables, only two of which are known (half-life and P-now). You have to make a huge, unsubstantiated assumption about either age or P-orig to solve.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with "cherry-picking" science. I believe what I can verify and I question everything else. I'm initially an engineer by training and I know that I can test and verify certain things, properties about materials, strengths, life-expectancy, durability. There are certain formula which are verifiable and thus to my thinking - true. There are other things in science, which are not verifiable, like the initial conditions of the C14 in an animal which lived 25,000 years ago. I see nothing wrong with "cherry-picking" and believing the formula for the bending moment of a steel beam yet not believing the C14 formula for a multi-thousand year old animal. Saying that I must take science "all or nothing" is not science - it is more like religion.

Repo Man said:
This thread was trollishly begun in the religion forum. Talk of this latest find really belongs in the biology forum.

David, you keep playing dodgeball about your status as a creationist. But if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.....

Rather than throw brickbats at Darwins theory, (which has been accepted in a modified form for over a century by leading biologists, and is part of a mosaic of credible work on the age of this planet) why not give us an alternate explanation without resorting to unprovable and untestable magic? Sorry, no supernatural beings allowed.
I'm really not trying to play dodgeball. I suspect, but cannot prove, that Special Creation is true. However, there really are some quacks out there which you would call "Creationists" and I prefer not to be lumped in with them. It does seem that some on this thread are doing that anyway and attributing beliefs to me which I do not hold - such as 6000 years for the age of the Earth.

I cannot explain why we are here - I have no alternate explaination. That does not mean the current theories are true. Actually, the first step in determining a true theory is to knock down the old, false theory. Just because a majority believes a theory does not make it true (or else the world would be flat). This is a common mistake in science - Hold onto old false theories (no matter how silly) until something better comes along. This makes it very difficult to move on to more truth.

I don't claim to be Galileo or Copernicus but they would, and did, face the same arguments and critisism I am facing on this thread - and their ideas were not based on religion either.

guthrie said:
The first point about overlapping is that Bristlecone pines have lived longer than 2,000 years.
I think this might answer your point:
http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/dendro.html

Secondly, the dendrochronological record can be extended backwards by use of timbers from boats as you have already found, or in countries like the UK and Ireland, timber found in bogs. Or used in buildings, there still a few 700 year old roofs and timber buildings in the UK. Needless to say it has taken decades to build up a decent picture, which is where the controversy over the boat comes in. You'll agree I am sure that if it was the case in this case that they were counting the rings one a year instead of 2 a year, the boat would turn out to be dated to about 400AD or so, which would be rather odd given the artefacts found on board. Also, 37 years + or - isnt too bad. Thats not enough to throw out the entire system, merely enough for you to avoid saying "Its from 1440BC". A good sensible archeologist will use the error bars, like you do in experiments in chemistry and physics. The fact that many history book authors will leave them out is a reflection of a need/ desire to keep things simple for the public or just carelessness.
No counting two rings per year does not change the date of the boat. The boat has an approximate "known age" and the tree rings in the boat timber are matched to tree ring samples in the master sequence for approximately the same time. The tree ring sample in the timber might also match sequences in the master for other time periods but no one looks at those since they are "known" to be incorrect. There might be many matches (I believe one of the links I gave you showed a timber matching 8 different master sequences) and the job is to pick which sequence match is the best. I am questioning the master sequence itself (since it is a known fact that tree rings are laid down in many places at the rate of two pairs per year). You boat timber might match a sequence dated on the master as 1440BC and it might match another sequence at 5000BC. But, since it is obvious there were no boats in 5000BC, nobody bothered to believe that match. However, if the tree rings are measured at two pair per year then the 5000BC match would really be 1500BC.

I am not calling scientists liars, just biased toward their own beliefs about truth. They tend to downplay the problems in their theories and play up the positives (as would anyone on any subject).
As far as I can work out, reference to the "floating sequence" is because it covers timbers found in ships, or else a series of timbers that do not have a proper date and place assigned to them in the sequence yet. Maybe because they are too small a sample, or maybe because they grew in out of the way microclimates. ONe or two small exceptions do not destroy a theory, it is the cumulative massive errors that lead people on to find the evidence that replaces the old paradigm.
No this is really really wrong. A thousand proofs of a theory still do not prove the theory. A single unexplained exception totally disproves a theory (until it is explained). This is fundemental to science. If you don't understand this, then you really need to go back and study.
And? The key here is cross correlation and widespread sample collecting. You'll notice the link did little more than point out a problem with tree rings that you need to be aware of, not that itwas all lies foisted upon us by liars.

The reason it shows it dropping off at 10500 is because its a chart showing correlations of years with a sample, and the statistical matching of a sample that has been dated already. ITs about a computer program that calibrates C14 dates> I believe the quote you want is this:

"There are presently a few computer programs available over the Internet that automatically calibrate C14 dates. The latest version of OxCal v.3 is fairly simple to use and produces information like the graph in Figure 1. The program can be downloaded from http://units.ox.ac.uk/departments/rlaha/oscal_h.html. By inserting a C14 date of 10,000 ± 100 for our branch, OxCal produced a range of calibrated dates with different confidences. Just like C14 dates, calibrated dates are given in a range."

Do you have a link for this assertion?
Certainly (search for "limitations" or "nuclear testing"):
I thought this was a well-known problem with C14 (maybe those scientists are trying to accentuate the positives and down-play the negatives). This problem is the whole reason for doing dendrochronological corrections.
Unfortunately that is mince, since C14 is created by the impact of cosmic ray neutrons upon Nitrogen14.
http://www.c14dating.com/int.html
Its not a matter of energy, its the form its in.
Right thats enough for just now.
But it IS the same form of energy (nuclear radiation). Energy is Energy, only the frequency changes, and in this case, the frequency is similar (the Sun is after all just a big nuclear - fusion - reaction).

Last edited:
You "suspect" that special creation is true. Obviously, that is the key to your criticisms. Yet you are only trying to hold scientists feet to the fire? What could be more fundamentally anti-scientific than a belief that some sort of being created humans?

As there is no evidence for any sort of creator, I do not believe in one. That only leaves evolution theory to explain the origin of life on Earth. The body of evolutionary theory has plenty of room for improvement, just as our understanding of physics does, and astronomy, and just about every other scientific field of enquiry. I'm not going to try to educate myself on C14 decay rates to fact check archaelogists or biologists claims. They have strict peer reviews in the journals they publish in for that (remember cold fusion?). Scientific method is fundamentally self correcting. It may not happen as quickly as is ought to sometimes, but it will eventually.

You seem to feel that scientists are just making things up to hide the "evidence" for special creation. Of course, you also wish to distance yourself from the "cranks" who believe in special creation. That's much the same as saying "only ten angels can dance on the head of a pin; those who say that twenty can are nutjobs". Creationism is fundamentally anti-scientific, and is completely irreconcilable with scientific method.

I don't have any proof as to how the world came to be, how old it is, or how life came to be on this planet. As a scientist myself, I find all the scientific explainations unsatisfactory (in some cases, requiring more belief than religion). Some, such as the rise of life from non-life, are simply impossible - not credible by any stretch. There seems to be no explaination thus far which even remotely avoids the laugh test. Does that mean science won't come up with some theory which holds water? I don't know.

I can't prove Creation. I do, however, believe there is a God. Could God have created life the way the bible protrays? Possibly. There is no test for the supernatural.

You seem to think you are being intellegent to belive in Evolution since you don't believe in God. What you don't seem to realize is that Evolution is just about as good an explaination as "The Tooth Fairy Did It". If you don't believe in God because there is no proof, they you should not believe in Evolution. I think the saying is "You choke on a gnat but swallow a camel". Biological Evolution of Life (Abiogenesis) is patently false, while God is at least a possibility. You trust in peer review, which actually prevents truth in favor of status quo (peer review perpetuates mistakes rather than, as you put it, self-corrects). The Scientific Method does not, in any way, relate to unprovable theories, like the initial conditions of pre-historic Earth.

What you are really doing in your post, is professing your fundemental belief in your religion - Evolution - and your fundemental non-belief in another religion - Judeo-Christianity.

Back