How is faith in God attained?

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Matthew 6:19-21

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." -Matthew 6:24

"Jesus answered, 'If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'" -Matthew 19:21

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.'" -Matthew 19:23-24

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." -Matthew 19:29-30

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.'" -Matthew 25:41-45

Adstar,

As a true Christian you have certainly sold all of your own possessions and given your money to the poor, haven’t you? You are surely following all of Christ's commands here, right?

Or are you following the words of Paul instead?

Who is your master, Adstar?

Last edited:
Oh that doesnt apply to me, I am a bishop I am allowed to live with wealth and extravagances.

Define "reject the Messiah Jesus." Muslims accept Jesus as "The Messiah", as written the Quran, so please be more specific with this claim.

Muslims reject the atonement of the Messiah Jesus. In fact they claim that Jesus was not crucified. So for muslims Jesus is not their Redeemer who has paid for their sins. He is to them just another prophet. To have access to the atonement that Jesus secured we must believe that He secured it. Belief that Jesus existed is pointless unless we believe He atoned for our sins.

Also, in Hinduism there are have been 9 great incarnations of God, or 9 great "avatars." The tenth, the Kalki Avatar, should be arriving in, say, some odd thousands of years. Jesus, is not one of the ten great Avatars, however he is "accepted" by them as a minor one. Does this acceptance of Jesus as a "minor Avatar" grant them heavenly access?

No. There is only one way to eternity with God and that is by accepting the Messiah Jesus for the atonement of ones sins.

Also, Jesus doesn't even make the Hindu top 25 avatar list.

Why should a hindu list concern me?

Not only do I NOT admire them, I despise them and are utterly disgusted by basically all Catholic "Leaders." To me they are worse then most murders, adulterers, etc.

I do not despise the people as much as i despise their lies and the injury those lies do to the perception of The gospel amongst the non-believing community. The people are forgivable if they turn away from the deception they believe in or are caught up in or are taking an active part in promoting.

Nor do I desire to defraud people. It is a disgusting practice. I was simply pointing out that the early catholic Church leaders did.

Ok, you just had a funny way of expressing it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

LOL. Okay, great.

Hey Ice, since your too proud to say it I'll just say it for you: YOU DO NOT KNOW.

There are alegedly 2.1 billion people on this earth who have been tallied up as Christians (basically the Catholic Church just made up whatever number they wanted and told the surveyers that number).

I personally believe that 99.999% of that 2.1 Billion HAS NOT spoken in tongues over the course of their lives, or has not had some kind of vision or experience. Therefore, it's safe to say that 99.999% of "Christians" have not been baptised by the Holy Ghost.

My church, which is non-demoninational Christian, has had a harsh history with this "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" deal. There came a point when the idea of H.S. Baptism started spreading around the church and suddenly all the old timers became obsessed with it.

My grandparents got caught up in the H.S. Baptism frenzy. They were genuine good people who meant well and wanted to serve God/Jesus as best as they could. But they became almost depressed/extremely worried about the fact that they had not yet been baptised with the H.S. My grandma died fairly young of breast cancer. I never met her. However, it almost disgusts me aside from pissing me the hell off that she probably died on her death bed worried sick that she hadn't been baptised by the Holy Ghost. That's why this issue really gets to me, and I'm tired of people's bullshit.

Ahhhh you reveal much about your past nds1. I am going to have to reply to your baptism points.

I personally believe that 99.999% of that 2.1 Billion HAS NOT spoken in tongues over the course of their lives, or has not had some kind of vision or experience. Therefore, it's safe to say that 99.999% of "Christians" have not been baptised by the Holy Ghost.

I know that there are a few pentecostal churches that say they if you do not talk in tongues then you have not received the Holy Spirit. I suppose this kind of thinking has spread over to your non-denominational church and i know that even some baptist preachers have jumped on the same Bandwagon. Anyway the scriptures reveal that even in the days of the apostles not all who where in the Body of Christ (the real church remember :) ) spoke in tongues. Lets read shall we:

1 Corinthians 12
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

This scripture clearly states that different gifts are given to different people. where the people who where given knowledge unsaved because they did not receive the gift of tongues? What about those with the gift of healing? Where they indwelled by the Holy Spirit?? Of course they where.

The doctrine that a person must talk in tongues if they have received the Holy Spirit is just as false now as it was then.

I feel sorry for your grandma if she did die in a state of fear. But one thing that all Christians should do is read the Bible for themselves and ask God for understanding through the Holy Spirit. If more people did that then the false preachers would find it very hard to deceive. If people had taken the time to read the scriptures that i have posted to you nds1 then when some preacher came along with this false teaching it would have been nipped in the bud before it grew.

The whole "having a mental belief to get to heaven" concept just seems a little off to me.

You can go to heaven if you believe X. If you don't believe X, you will suffer forever.

I think if we are to take the above statement as true then we should reword it to be more specific:

You can go to heaven if you have a strong enough belief in X. If you don't have a strong enough belief in X, you will suffer forever.

In my opinion, 90% of all Catholics have a very weak faith, probably 10-15%. I would estimate that 75% of all other Christians also have a weak faith of around 10-15% of maximum strength. Even Muslims, while appearing on the surface to be more religious, have many adherents which don't really follow the tenants of Islam too well. I knew a few Muslims from America which seemed like they could care less about acting "Godly."

I really am curious though as to what the minimum strength level of faith is in order be considered SAVED. Saved from what? I'm guessing saved means saved from the Lake of Fire, or God's Wrath which is not pretty.

In my church, people are baptised around age 12-13, or supossedly when they are "ready." LOL. What a joke. Are you kidding me? Ready? It's either you get baptised at 12 or 13 or become the joke of the church. The social implications are enormous especially with the social hypocrites in my church, which again disgusts me to the core.

So we can bash the Catholics all we want for baptising people while they are infants, yet my church and many others are really doing the same thing, just 12 years later.

But how strong does someone's faith have to be in Jesus in order to be accepted into heaven, or "saved"? I hope it's not at least 30%, because in that case, 5.9 billion people out of the 6 million in existence are going to the Lake of Fire.

Belief is like pregnancy you cannot be 30% pregnant. You either believe and trust in the atoning sacrifice of the Messiah Jesus for your personal redemption or you do not.

Its both belief and trust and also the repentant acknowledgement of ones need for another to save them. Its not just believing X as if it's like believing that grass is green. It's more than that.

As for baptism if a person wishes to take part in a ceremony of water baptism then it should be at their initiation. No age should be stipulated.

M*W: Your post jogged a question in my mind. I know a woman who has a 21 year-old retarded child with an IQ of a five year-old. His mother borders on fanatical christianity. Maybe that's an overstatement coming from me, but she's definitely christian in her belief (can't say she practices what she preaches, though). Anyhoo, when her son was about 12-13, he was baptised at the First Baptist Church. He didn't have the foggiest idea what he was doing or what the act meant. To this day, he still thinks Jesus brings babies. (Don't get me started on that one!). Obviously, his baptism was more for her benefit than it was for him. I thought that in the Protestant groups, baptism was supposed to occur at the age of reason, unlike catholics who practice infant baptism and at the age of reason are confirmed. If the kid didn't understand the concept of baptism, what was the purpose?

It was a pointless exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adstar,

As a true Christian you have certainly sold all of your own possessions and given your money to the poor, haven’t you? You are surely following all of Christ's commands here, right?

Wrong. I am not perfect.

Matthew 19
16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” 17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.[g] But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”
Jesus said, “ ‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’[h] and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”
20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”
21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

There is no Good thing that i can do to secure eternity with God. My eternity with God is secured by The Messiah Jesus. Jesus was revealing to the young man that He could not obtain eternity with God by doing good deeds. The young man was looking for advice on how to earn His own way into eternity with God. Jesus knowing the mans weakness (love of money and possessions) told Him to give up, what He knew the young man would not give up. Therefore the young man came to understand that he could never be perfect to justify himself in eternity.

The scripture continued:

Matthew 19
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?” 26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Jesus revealed to his apostles that it was impossible for a man to win eternity for himself with God but with God it is possible for a man to be saved. It is only with the power of God that men can be saved. It is impossible for a man to achieve perfection by his won efforts.

Or are you following the words of Paul instead?

The Words of Paul where Holy Spirit given and therefore are in agreement with Gods will.

Who is your master, Adstar?

The Messiah Jesus.

But, Messiah Jesus commanded that you be perfect, Adstar!

"Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."
-Matthew 5:48

And with the help of the Holy Spirit this is possible, right? As you indicated, all these things are possible with God’s help! So why don’t you just go out and sell everything you own and give your money to the poor, so you will be perfect? Why don’t you do this simple thing? Don’t you want to be perfect like Jesus commanded?

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." -Matthew 6:24

Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?
Again I ask, who is your own personal master? God or money?

You cannot serve both!

Last edited:
M*W: Your post jogged a question in my mind. I know a woman who has a 21 year-old retarded child with an IQ of a five year-old. His mother borders on fanatical christianity. Maybe that's an overstatement coming from me, but she's definitely christian in her belief (can't say she practices what she preaches, though). Anyhoo, when her son was about 12-13, he was baptised at the First Baptist Church. He didn't have the foggiest idea what he was doing or what the act meant. To this day, he still thinks Jesus brings babies. (Don't get me started on that one!). Obviously, his baptism was more for her benefit than it was for him. I thought that in the Protestant groups, baptism was supposed to occur at the age of reason, unlike catholics who practice infant baptism and at the age of reason are confirmed. If the kid didn't understand the concept of baptism, what was the purpose?

I agree. There was no purpose. Infants don't have reason, neither do "autistic" or "mentally retarded" people. I'm guessing autistic people get a free pass to heaven as well.

Muslims reject the atonement of the Messiah Jesus. In fact they claim that Jesus was not crucified. So for muslims Jesus is not their Redeemer who has paid for their sins. He is to them just another prophet. To have access to the atonement that Jesus secured we must believe that He secured it. Belief that Jesus existed is pointless unless we believe He atoned for our sins.

Ok, so simply believing in the "Messiah Jesus" is not enough. It is a conditional belief. So we must believe that:

X) The man named Jesus existed
Y) Jesus was the Son of God and was God himself
Z) Jesus atoned for our sins by his sacrfices and perfect life

So if you mentally believe X, Y, and Z, then you will go to heaven. If not you will burn forever.

Adstar said:
Why should a hindu list concern me?

It doesn't concern you. I was just personally interested in your opinion on Hindu beliefs.

Adstar said:
Belief is like pregnancy you cannot be 30% pregnant. You either believe and trust in the atoning sacrifice of the Messiah Jesus for your personal redemption or you do not.

Its both belief and trust and also the repentant acknowledgement of ones need for another to save them. Its not just believing X as if it's like believing that grass is green. It's more than that.

I disagree that belief is like pregnancy. That would mean that we can either fully believe something or fully don't believe something.

I could make myself "believe" right now that a Bungi Cord at an amusement park is safe and that there's an extremely small percent chance it could break and kill me. I could tell myself: "Oh yeah, I would Bungi Jump. They make those cords so they can't break."

But then, let's say I got to the top of the 500 foot high platform. Suddenly, my belief that the cord won't break is shown to be a "weak" or "fake" or "surface" belief. In any case, if I was afraid of heights or generally scared of things like Bunji jumping my belief level wouldn't be high enough for me the actually go through with the Bunji Jump. To me there is exact percentage of belief which would be enough for me to take the jump voluntarily with no other influencing variables.

Let's say that I need a 65% belief that the Cord won't break in order to jump off. But I only have a 40% belief that it won't break. I will not jump because I am too scared. The risk of death outweighs the belief that I'll survive the jump. Now let's say that I grew a pair and my belief went up to about 70%. Now I have it in me to at least take the jump, but I will be scared while doing it.

Now let's say I am one of those fearless people, and I have a 95% belief that the Cord won't break. With this strong belief I can Bunji Jump with relatively no fear of death and I can do it joyfully.

This analogy proves to me that there are differing levels of belief or faith which can be tested when risk of an unwanted event is presented.

It is a duty for Christians to tithe 10%, and gifts are in addition to that, the amount of the gifts will vary from Christian to Christian.

Jesus clearly required more than this, Ice.

I could quote it for you again if you wish, but you already know what it says. If this is all you give away then money is clearly your true master, not God. Money is 90% master over you and God is only 10%. Even if you gave 70%, or 80%, or 90% of all you possess away it would still not be enough because He has asked you to give it all away. Every bit of it! God can even help you do this if you need Him to.

So why don't you do this? :bugeye:

Don't you think God wants His children to live in poverty?

I agree that the rich should give a much higher percentage, and God, I'm sure, deals with those who underperform in this regard, so just relax Seti.

The Bible speaks of good success for believers in this world, of course, persectution comes to true believers, but who would be drawn to a faith whose adherents are chronicly destitute?

God wants believers to have wealth, to share in an impactful way, and to live.

The Bible speaks of good success for believers in this world, of course, persectution comes to true believers, but who would be drawn to a faith whose adherents are chronicly destitute?

That is just wishful thinking my friend!

Luke 6:20
" ...Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God."

Here is another one...

James 2:5
Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

Last edited:

I always thought it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

So God shouldn't want believers to have wealth. He should bless them by making them poor and giving them better odds at reaching the kingdom of God.

Speaking of the kingdom of God, is there a difference between the Kingdom of Jesus on the 2nd Coming and the kingdom of God?

In other words, can only the top-notch servants of God go to the kingdom of God while all the "normal" or "half ass" servants are restricted to the normal heaven? This is what my church teaches.

I did, and he said that only the top-notch servants of God go to the kingdom of God while all the "normal" or "half ass" servants are restricted to the normal heaven.

IAC, Adstar seems to suggest that in order to reach "heaven" one must have three key beliefs in their mind at the moment of death.

Adstar said:
i believe the most important belief is the belief that we hold in our minds at the moment of our death. So whatever you believe now might have no bearing on your destination if you change your mind to what is truth before you die.

So basically, if you believe X, Y, and Z right before you die, you will be all set.

X) The man named Jesus existed
Y) Jesus was the Son of God and was God himself
Z) Jesus atoned for our sins by his sacrfices and perfect life

The flawed part of that argument is that I, and anyone else, can make myself believe literally anything if the threat of torture (the Lake of Fire) is present.

Let's say someone had a taser to my head and I was connected to a lie detector test. Let's say that the taser holder said to me, "If you believe the Lochness monster exists, I will not taser you. If you don't believe it exists, I will taser you in the face. Now, do you believe the Lochness Monster exists? Yes or No."

I think I could rationalize the existence of the Lochness Monster if forced to. I would convince myself of its existence, and hence form a belief.

Back