How do you feel about people who kill animals for the sheer fun of it?

So it's ok to kill an animal to enjoy it's tasty flesh, but not ok to actually enjoy killing the animal?
Why is this?

There are people who hunt animals to provide food and clothing for their family, such as eskimos.

But then there are those people who engage in hunting and shooting down defenseless animals for sports. People who hunt for the thrill of the kill. They kill for fun and recreation, and are proud of their killings.

What's your opinion on these type of people?

Killing for pleasure is natural. If someone has a psychological need to kill then hunting is the perfect way to meet that need.

Killing for pleasure is natural.

What are you basing this perception on, exactly? Keep in mind that typical animals in the wild do not kill because it's a pleasureable experience. They avoid it. Leaving their domicile to kill something expends much needed food-energy, time, and it exposes them to dangers. This is why many predators have metabolisms designed to have long resting periods in between kills.

So I repeat... what are you basing this perception on? It may be your own somewhat twisted desires that you are projecting onto nature here, due to having been so far removed from it.

Why, then, can't you prove it? Don't just elaborate on a whole lotta nonsense and go into some silly ethereal tangent that no one except yourself could possibly appreciate. Show us actual proof that right/wrong is not universal. Go ahead. Do it.

Who said I can't? By the way I am making the negative statement, which in most cases impossible to prove, but I will be nice to you, so I will present the impossible:

If you watch Star Trek, in it Klingons have different morals and their rights are completely different than ours, thus morals are not universal.

There, you have it. Human morals only exists as long as humans are present and even then it is different for each culture.

It is you, who have to prove that morals are universal because you made that positive statement, although I don't expect you to understand it.

Anyhow, conversation is over....

Last edited by a moderator:
Killing for pleasure is natural. If someone has a psychological need to kill then hunting is the perfect way to meet that need.

It is? I've never killed anything just because it was fun, I've never gotten enjoyment out killing anything, unless perhaps I didn't know I was killing something.

But then there are those people who engage in hunting and shooting down defenseless animals for sports. People who hunt for the thrill of the kill. They kill for fun and recreation, and are proud of their killings.

What's your opinion on these type of people?

These people apparently lack the capacity to empathise with their victims. They see them as "things" rather than as sentient beings. Killing an animal is for them no different from breaking an inanimate object.

They are satisfying a deep human need for hunting, the same way a cat will play with a toy mouse when it can't find suitable prey. It's been our way of life for a million years or so, I can't criticize people for doing what evolution programmed them to do.

Since most human beings on the planet do not hunt, this "deep human need" seems confined to a minority. Which suggests to me that it's not really a deep human need at all.

And what would be the evolutionary advantage of a "need" to kill for sport, in your opinion?

It is their right to do so because they are stronger than the animals. Who are you to think or say otherwise?

Might makes right, then? Is it ok to hurt or kill all weak things? Babies? Defenseless old people? People who don't have a gun when you do have one? Or just non-human animals?

What about sport fisherman?
Now, are you only going to chastise one group of hunters vs another?

Perhaps. Can you think of any reason why killing a man would be "worse" than killing a cow, which might be "worse" than killing a fish?

Or do you think these are all morally equivalent? Please explain.

to be honest, many vegetarians dont eat meat due to an overall squeamishness towards it and then try to justify not eating meat many different ways...

Really? You seem very knowledgable about vegetarians. How many do you know? Where did you get your information?

as long as the animal doesn't go to waste, I have no problem with it.

Would you have a problem with killing a human being, if that human "didn't go to waste"? If so, why the double standard?

What are you basing this perception on, exactly? Keep in mind that typical animals in the wild do not kill because it's a pleasureable experience. They avoid it.

Ever see a house cat kill a bird? To be a predator, killing must be a pleasurable experience. This behavior is consistent amongst all predatory species. Some species when confronted with very helpless prey, will kill by biting and eating, vomit, and then repeat the process so they can kill again.

Leaving their domicile to kill something expends much needed food-energy, time, and it exposes them to dangers. This is why many predators have metabolisms designed to have long resting periods in between kills.

This is partially true when a kill takes effort.

So I repeat... what are you basing this perception on?

Observation of nature.

It may be your own somewhat twisted desires that you are projecting onto nature here, due to having been so far removed from it.

It sounds like you're caught up in the human bias-judment of "he's being mean!". Take a step back and observe they way species on earth really behave.

It is? I've never killed anything just because it was fun, I've never gotten enjoyment out killing anything, unless perhaps I didn't know I was killing something.

In humans, gaining pleasure from killing is far more predominant in men. We have historically always been the hunters and fighters.

Ever see a house cat kill a bird? To be a predator, killing must be a pleasurable experience. This behavior is consistent amongst all predatory species. Some species when confronted with very helpless prey, will kill by biting and eating, vomit, and then repeat the process so they can kill again.

This is partially true when a kill takes effort.

Observation of nature.

It sounds like you're caught up in the human bias-judment of "he's being mean!". Take a step back and observe they way species on earth really behave.

That behavior is absolutely not consistent among all predators. Housecats kill animals in the way they due to frustration. They're still wild at heart and are tempremental, and they have no outlet for that predatorialness inside the home. An unnatural situation is causing their unnatural behavior.

Most animals in the wild, don't torture and kill animals the way cats do, and since in the wild is the natural state, then we can just toss your housecat example out the window. Most predators kill an animal as quickly as possible, and then eat it as quickly as possible so that it is not stolen by another animal. Survival, not sport, is the aim of animals in the wild. Citing weird and unusual examples of cats vomiting out a dead thing because it agrees with a freaky notion that doesn't hold true in the majority, makes no sense.

Take a step back and observe they way species on earth really behave.

Almost no animals behave in the way you just described. Snakes don't choke mammals because it's pleasurable. Birds don't bite worms because it's pleasurable. Most predators in fact *avoid* killing, if it isn't a foodkill. If that were untrue, then we would see sharks biting people on sight. Shark attacks are very rare, however, and whenever it takes place, it is a case of a mistaken identity for a seal.

You're transposing your own very human and very contrived thought patterns onto animals here, and that just doesn't fly.

That behavior is absolutely not consistent among all predators. Housecats kill animals in the way they due to frustration. They're still wild at heart and are tempremental, and they have no outlet for that predatorialness inside the home. An unnatural situation is causing their unnatural behavior.

Sure dude. That's why they purr and roll around in ecstasy with blood on their faces.

Most animals in the wild, don't torture and kill animals the way cats do, and since in the wild is the natural state, then we can just toss your housecat example out the window.

Can you give me an example of a predtor that won't kill prey for pleasure?

Most predators kill an animal as quickly as possible,...

Incorrect. Many predators disable an animal as quickly as possible. There are countless instances of disabled prey being eaten alive instead of being killed first.

...and then eat it as quickly as possible so that it is not stolen by another animal.

Much of the time this part would be correct for hungry animals.

Survival, not sport, is the aim of animals in the wild.

Incorrect. Persisting is the aim of animals in or out of the wild. That include psychological health/satiation.

Citing weird and unusual examples of cats vomiting out a dead thing because it agrees with a freaky notion that doesn't hold true in the majority, makes no sense.

Cats aren't the only species that do that.

Almost no animals behave in the way you just described.

Except for many mammals, avians, and fish.

Snakes don't choke mammals because it's pleasurable.

I don't think most predatory snakes choke mammals.

Birds don't bite worms because it's pleasurable.

Ever seen a crow kill smaller birds just for the heck of it? Dogs and deer? Lamprey and whatever?

Most predators in fact *avoid* killing, if it isn't a foodkill. If that were untrue, then we would see sharks biting people on sight. Shark attacks are very rare, however, and whenever it takes place, it is a case of a mistaken identity for a seal.

Most predators avoid hard-to-kill species if possible. They usually go for the weakest and dumbest prey available; however, if they have an opportunity to kill really weak prey for the fun of it; they are not likely to let that opportunity go.

You're transposing your own very human and very contrived thought patterns onto animals here, and that just doesn't fly.

Or alternatively, and more likely, I simply know more about nature.

The whole argument that it is "natural" for humans to kill animals for fun is an example of the [enc]appeal to nature[/enc] logical fallacy that assumes that everything "natural" must be good. That's even assuming that it is, in fact, "human nature" to kill for fun - an arguable point on its own.

Killing an animal for sheer sport and without any physical need is not only a great injustice, it is a breach of the covenant between God and man's right to live on this Earth. Furthermore, not only killing, but imprisoning creatures is also against the natural order of things. Imprisoning rodents, birds, and other animals against their will for the mere pleasure of humans is a great injustice. God shall judge humanity considering the transgressions which they commit against fellow men, animals, plant life, and even the air and soil.

Back