Homosexulaity and the Bible

Does the Bible influence Christians' stance on the morality of homosexuality?

• Total voters
So you're gay because you are anti-bible then ?

My sexuality is of no consequence to my religious beliefs, nor would any religious belief have any consequence on my sexuality. I'm an atheist because--well--I realize that most religious beliefs are stupid and cater to small minded people with wayyyyy too much authority. For every loving Buddhist, Sufi and United Church of Christ adherent there are twenty people who adhere to the more backwards segments of their parent faiths.

~String

I have noticed a large number of lesi's have been abused by men at a young age
no doubt the same has happened with the church and young boys.

You are only a Christian when it suits you.

when am I not a Christian?

I suppose bizarre encounters with overweight entities don't exempt one from being Christian.. It was just the devil tempting you.

But mainline conservative Christianity seems to be grossly preoccupied with homosexuality while overlooking or downplaying rampant premarital sex, birth out of wedlock, extramarital affairs, divorce, spousal abuse, or child abuse, including sexual abuse, perpetrated by heterosexuals.
They also don't seem to be concerned so much with unlawful warfare if it is in the name of spreading American democracy to Islamic nations, nor are they too concerned with large, corrupt government, unless it is large, corrupt government in a liberal form. If it is an inclusive, Democrat government in power, then they're suddenly all in a tizzy about it.

Many Christian groups, mostly the large denominations and Christian political organizations, seem to be concerned with only a few topics, and homosexuality is one of the major ones. The other would probably be abortion. And these are used as rallying points to gather all sorts of conservative Christians into supporting this or that "Christian" politician.

It's a tactic that very often reduces the issues to one or two that are supposedly the most important to a Christian, and then allows for what is basically brainwashing. People are manipulated by the homosexuality and abortion issues into voting for people solely based on their Christian values.

The importance of homosexuality to Christians often seems to be political.

Last edited:
M*W: The bible was written by men and not by any god or gods or inspired by them. Just like a lot of men, those men were homophobic. They were the patriarchy. Homosexuals, women, children, and animals, were inferior in their delusions of grandeur. They were also ignorant human beings.

Homosexuality was prevalent among the Egyptian pharaohnic society (and so was incest). Even Moses was suspected of having carnal knowledge of his brother Aaron when the wandering slowed down (Osman and Gardiner).

I asked a Japanese if Japanese believed in evolution. She said most do of course. I said, some don't? She said, yeah, Christians.

The point being: Some memes (like the Christian one) results in a retarding of social progress. Such as teaching homosexuality is a sin or evolution is evil. We don't HAVE to have such asinine aspect of superstition. Just create a more rational superstition. A less intolerant form of belief.

I asked a Japanese if Japanese believed in evolution. She said most do of course. I said, some don't? She said, yeah, Christians.

The point being: Some memes (like the Christian one) results in a retarding of social progress. Such as teaching homosexuality is a sin or evolution is evil. We don't HAVE to have such asinine aspect of superstition. Just create a more rational superstition. A less intolerant form of belief.

You don't have to be Christian to question any aspect of evolution. You don't have to be Christian to be superstitious.

I think many self-professed scientists have their own superstitions and dogmas.

M*W: The bible was written by men and not by any god or gods or inspired by them. Just like a lot of men, those men were homophobic. They were the patriarchy. Homosexuals, women, children, and animals, were inferior in their delusions of grandeur. They were also ignorant human beings.

Homosexuality was prevalent among the Egyptian pharaohnic society (and so was incest). Even Moses was suspected of having carnal knowledge of his brother Aaron when the wandering slowed down (Osman and Gardiner).

Moses and Aaron! :eek: Pray tell, what is that about?

Aren't many homophobes actually predisposed to homosexuality themselves?

Moses and Aaron! :eek: Pray tell, what is that about?

M*W: Ahmed Osman has indicated in his research that toward the end of their wanderings near Canaan when they were in their old in their days, they may have acted on homosexual tendencies. That, in itself, wasn't forbidden. In their culture, incest and pedarasty, was commonplace. Whether they had wives at the time is not significant. I'm looking for the specific statements in Osman's works.

just refer to story of Sodom and Gomorrah and how Bible views the residents of those cities and how they should and were dealt with.

Ah yes this story with the story of Lot and his wife and his 2 Daughters. In which his wife got turned into a pillar of salt for merely looking back toward the Cities. And then The good old buy Lot went to the caves with his Daughters where they got Dad drunk and back came pregnant with Dad's children yes I remember this story. And the Moral you get to take away from this is well it is ok to practice incest but being homsexual well that will get you turned into Salt now wont it..

As for Freewill God has been pissed about that since Adam took the bite out of the Fruit of Knowledge that in fact enhanced mans ability to choose. Religion is not about Freewill it is about listening to the old Fart at the front of the church ramble on about how you should never question God. And if you do Watch out he will be pissed at you for sure. And oh by the way please insert your money into the plate so I can keep my job OK. I have said it before Religion and the Bible's of any religion are meant to be used to control people it is and was a primitive form of Laws. That were assembled via stories told over and over again and embellished along the way to appear really scary. To be able to control people and the way they think.

oh really. so where in the bible does it say that having sex between man and man or woman between woman is acceptable and moral thing to do?

Where does it say that it's not?

I can understand if you disagree with the Bible as a Christian, but how can you disagree what the Bible says when there are at least 5 references that appear to be telling the reader that homosexuality is immoral.

I don't think so. Has the Bible been used as a weapon? Unfortunately, yes. But usually when taking verses out of their historical and cultural contexts.

You don't have to be Christian to question any aspect of evolution. You don't have to be Christian to be superstitious.
It's perfectly fine to question any aspect of evolution.

Teaching your children evolution is evil is (almost) uniquely Christian and is asinine.

Japan makes an interesting laboratory to investigate the retarding effects of Christianity. Their language, cultural norms, food, pretty much all aspects of their life is the same as any other Japanese. Yet, here we have Christian Japanese teaching their children Evolution is wrong and to believe in it is sinful. And Buddhist/Shinto Japanese who think Evolution is not wrong (although yes aspects of it can be challenged) and most certainly is not sinful.

This seems like strong evidence that the meme's encompassed within Christianity are retarding Japanese.

Not that Japanese are not superstitious. Just that this superstition leads to a form of mental retardation.

I think many self-professed scientists have their own superstitions and dogmas.
I can see it now. A group of scientists teach their students that ONLY atomic orbital theory (AOT) is true. That molecular orbital theory (MOT) is the corrupted word of The Gods of Chemistry. Good AOT Scientists will receive Nobel Awards in Heaven for dieing in the cause to eradicate MOT scientists and their corrupt teachings from the world! ;)

IMO a scientists is simply someone who utilizes the scientific method. If a person can not accept the results of their experiments then they're not doing their job and are not scientists. Dogma's fall and people's view of the way the world works change.

I think the ones who act violently are. Those that are just homophobic because they were taught to be, no, they probably are not.

That's why you see the anti-Gay crusaders often getting caught with gay lovers. It actually makes some sense if you think about it. Not to mention some recent research suggests this is the case.

Homosexulaity. No such word.
Possibly you mean Homosexuclergy.
Homosexuclergy! :D

hahaha!!! You heard it first here on Sciforms folks! :p

I thought this letter added the right note for the issue of homosexuality and the Bible....
In her radio show, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox
> Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot
> be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter
> to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet.

> Dear Dr. Laura:
> Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have
> learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as
> many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle,
> for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be
> an abomination ... End of debate.
> I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of
> God's Laws and how to follow them.
> 1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and
> female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of
> mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you
> clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
>
> 2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
> Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for
> her?
>
> 3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in
> her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do
> I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
>
> 4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates
> a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They
> claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
>
> 5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
> 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill
> him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
>
> 6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
> abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I
> don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
>
> 7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I
> have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does
> my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
>
> 8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
> around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27.
> How should they die?
>
> 9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
> me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
>
> 10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two
> different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made
> of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to
> curse and blaspheme a lot.
> Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the
> whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them
> to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with
> their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
>
> I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy
> considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.
>
> Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
> unchanging.
>
> Your adoring fan.
>
> James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum,
> Instruction, and Special Education
> University of Virginia
>

The vast majority of Christians are taught that being a homosexual is a sin. Do you think that Christians being taught this, has a real impact on whether or not Christians think homosexuality is or is not moral?

Regrettably, the answer to this can only be yes. Social education has served to allay this, but we are by no means finished.

I don't know that it's "out of the historical context" either. The Bible's meant to be a lesson for all time etc. Mind you, I've never actually heard any priest lay into Leviticus, or even breath funny on it.

Back