Would you go to Hell for your children?

• Yes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I am unable/unwilling to answer the question

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
Consider what would happen if the doctors would give the woman the transfusion anyway and she had survived -
Would she and the family sue the hospital for robbing her of salvation?

She'd have every right to. Its no different than a DNR order and ignoring it. yeah, you can save the person, but that's not what they want.

She'd have every right to.

It would be odd, to say the least. Because all that they could get in a lawsuit would be worldly compensations - which (by the Christian definition) can't outweigh or at least even out the divine.

She wouldn't have to prove anything. They were her medical wishes and they didn't follow them.

Ah yes, it was a waste. But I don't think it was selfish.
My brothers were over there because they were told to go. That's it. They didn't have to believe in the reason they were over there.
She believed in the reason she died for.
I understand that.

if your brothers signed up for the army then they had a chance of going to war, it was down to them, they fought for what they thought was right, the woman we are talking about was selfish because she left newborns without a mum.

But she insured there would be others to look after her children before she died.

Isn't that beautifully unselfish?

no, they dont anyone else to look after them, they're mum is suppose to that. imagine when they are older, "daddy where is my mummy? oh i'm sorry littel timmy your mum died because she didnt want to have blood! how is that child going to feal? pretty shitty i dare say

no, they dont anyone else to look after them, they're mum is suppose to that. imagine when they are older, "daddy where is my mummy? oh i'm sorry littel timmy your mum died because she didnt want to have blood! how is that child going to feal? pretty shitty i dare say

Try this:

Father: There's something I have to tell you son. Your mother died when you were born because she refused to give up her faith in God.
Son: Where is she now Dad?
Father: God passed her into Paradise.
Son: My mum was very brave.
Father: Yes she was son. An example to us all.

M*W: The question is misleading. Would I go to hell for my children? Don't most parents go through hell, because of their children?

M*W's Friendly Atheist Quote of the Day:

"I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to hell? ~ Homer Simpson

Last edited:
God forbid ....

DeepThought said:

Father: There's something I have to tell you son. Your mother died when you were born because she refused to give up her faith in God.
Son: Where is she now Dad?
Father: God passed her into Paradise.
Son: My mum was very brave.
Father: Yes she was son. An example to us all.

You characterize exactly what is distressing about Orleander's note that, "That kid is gonna be raised with the same ideas as Mom was."

Consider another possible conversation:

Daughter: Why did Mom have to die?
Father: She was very brave. She refused to give up her faith in God.
Daughter: You mean like when Daniel refused to give up his faith, and the King tried to murder him?
Father: Not exactly. A doctor tried to convince her to commit a sin in order to save her life, and she wouldn't.
Daughter: What was that sin?
Father: She would not have a blood transfusion.
Daughter: Where does God say she should not have a blood transfusion?
Father: Right here, in the Bible. See?
Daughter: It says "consume", like "eat". That's different than a transfusion.
Father: No, it's not.
Daughter: I can consume pig's blood. I c--
Father: No, you can't.
Daughter: Just listen, please.
Father: It would be a sin.
Daughter: I get that. Just listen, please.
Father: And it would be wrong to sin.
Daughter: Daddy!
Father: Don't use that tone with me, young lady!
Daughter: But you're not listening. You don't ever listen.
Father: I don't ever listen? Fine. I'm listening now.
Daughter: Look. I can consume pig's blood, but I can't put get a transfusion of it, right?
Father: No. I told you already, it would be a sin to--
Daughter: Daddy, you're not listening to me.
Father: Do not interrupt your father!
Daughter: I'm sorry, Daddy.
Father: Why do you hate your mother like this?
Daughter: Why--?
Father: How can you let the Devil tempt you like that? You need to go to your room and pray.
Daughter: But--
Father: Now!
Daughter: Fine. I just don't see why God made us so we could share blood in the first place if it's so bad.
Father: Well, maybe you should just ask Him.
Daughter: I have. Every day and every night for years. And He won't answer.
Father: That's because we don't ask those questions. You need to learn the meaning of faith.

Last edited:
and that's exactly how its gonna be.

or it could go the other way, and the kids could hate her, it doesnt matter who brings the kids up, and raise them, they will always be without they're mother and she with they're dad is/was the most important person in they're lives!

You characterize exactly what is distressing about Orleander's note that, "That kid is gonna be raised with the same ideas as Mom was."

Consider another possible conversation:

Tiassa,

A rather cynical but not impossible version of what might happen.

It raised an uncomfortable question however: should we bring up our children with the complete freedom to question authority?

(And perhaps you are imputing to the child a level of critical free thought that most children do not possess)

Last edited:
Deep Thought said:

(And perhaps you are imputing to the child a level of critical free thought that most children do not possess)

I suppose that depends on the age we assign the child.

• • •​

Interestingly, yesterday I encounted a suggestion I had not thought of before. I was hanging out with a retired police psychologist, and we generally tend to spend some portion of our time talking about politics and society. He made an assertion that I haven't entirely pinned down, that this was, at its root, about the mother's sense of purity, which reframes her desire to please God as something even more fundamental than I had been considering.

The assertion recasts the players and brings us back to, at least in my opinion, mental health. I can accept that this was not a greedy decision, but around here political correctness demands that we not consider Christianity in the context of a mental health disorder.

Last edited:
He made an assertion that I haven't entirely pinned down, that this was, at its root, about the mother's sense of purity, which reframes her desire to please God as something even more fundamental than I had been considering.

Do you think that accepting someone else's blood into your body might cause you feelings of violation?

Deep Thought said:

Do you think that accepting someone else's blood into your body might cause you feelings of violation?

If one is taught that it is yucky and dangerous, yes. And, frankly, that's an even worse reason to leave your children behind.

This woman made an oath to follow her God and his commandments. No matter how fictional they may be, she is still bound by her word.

Back