Would you go to Hell for your children?

• Yes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I am unable/unwilling to answer the question

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
We can all criticize this woman and people like her - but fact is that she had just given birth, was probably more exhausted than ever before in her life, she had lost blood.

It's a tough call to discuss whether she refused the blood transfusion because of her beliefs, or whether the exhaustion messed with her mind.

Her motivation for doing this was only to ensure her salvation according to her beliefs. What else could it be?

To play the devil's advocate - Her refusal to accept the blood transfusion could have been an intent of suicide.

It is not impossible that the experience of pregnancy and childbirth had lead her to some serious introspection, and she found that she doesn't actually believe all those things she professed to believe as a Jehowah's Witness.

She became deeply ashamed of the way she had lived her life so far, and now with the children being born, she didn't think she could go on with that life, nor did she think she'd have the strength to start a new life on her own.

Not being able to resolve the internal conflict, she chose for an option that could bring her death - refusing the transfusion -, while at the same time not being branded as a suicide and her family not being burdened by the suicide.

To play the devil's advocate - Her refusal to accept the blood transfusion could have been an intent of suicide.

It is not impossible that the experience of pregnancy and childbirth had lead her to some serious introspection, and she found that she doesn't actually believe all those things she professed to believe as a Jehowah's Witness.

She became deeply ashamed of the way she had lived her life so far, and now with the children being born, she didn't think she could go on with that life, nor did she think she'd have the strength to start a new life on her own.

Not being able to resolve the internal conflict, she chose for an option that could bring her death - refusing the transfusion -, while at the same time not being branded as a suicide and her family not being burdened by the suicide.

I stand corrected and should not have said "what else could it be" as what you say is a possible scenario

We can all criticize this woman and people like her - but fact is that she had just given birth, was probably more exhausted than ever before in her life, she had lost blood.

It's a tough call to discuss whether she refused the blood transfusion because of her beliefs, or whether the exhaustion messed with her mind.

I would have to assume that she signed the appropriate papers PRIOR to the hospital admittance. I can't believe that a doctor would refuse to save her life based on what she was saying in such a condition, do you?

I haven't done any checking, but my guess is that this is not the first time something like this has happened. I can remember reading articles in the paper about people refusing such treatments that go against their beliefs ...and the hospitals and doctors must abide by those signed agreements.

Baron Max

Her husband and parents also refused to allow the doctors to give a transfusion once she was unresponsive. That makes them guilty, at least ethically, of something equivalent to manslaughter. They basically killed the woman because of their beliefs. A bit like tossing an unconscious person off of a tall burning building because you don't believe in fire escapes.

I would have to assume that she signed the appropriate papers PRIOR to the hospital admittance.

The article linked to in the OP doesn't say anything specific.

I can't believe that a doctor would refuse to save her life based on what she was saying in such a condition, do you?

DNR's and alike are tricky things. The general trend seems to be that hospitals are afraid of being sued, doctors are afraid of losing their licence - and they'll do a lot to avoid that.

A matter of what's valuable

DeepThought said:

Her refusal of a blood transfusion wasn't a calculated strategy to avoid the hassle and responsibility of raising her children - if it was you are quite right she was selfish and incredibly stupid.

It's not a matter of calculated strategy. It is the notion that her love was anywhere but her children.

At the heart of redemptive monotheism is the drive for salvation. The eternal soul is the most valuable currency these people have. And while some might chuckle if one of these believers refuses a really high-paying job on principle because s/he did not like what it required, at least we can understand the idea of not selling out.

But our children?

Neither is there enough evidence, I think, for believing she did it solely to 'please God and get into Heaven'.

This is redemptive monotheism. I would invite you to propose another reason for making such a decision on faith. One that, while coincidental with redemption, trumps it.

I'm trying to think of an analogy, perhaps something like this: someone tries to make you do something you consider wrong, for example, committing a homophobic attack on a gay person. You object and refuse to take part no matter how much they insist. The consequences for you are relatively slight... you walk away with your integrity intact and a gay person out there has been saved a beating.

Um ... what?

Okay, it's enough to say the analogy fails.

The consequence for Emma Gough refusing to do something she believed was wrong was death.

Right. But why was it wrong? Because she believes God said so.

Would you pay that price to prevent a wrong being committed?

That seems rather an absurd proposition. The "wrong" Ms. Gough sought to prevent was her own condemnation. She died for herself. It's the reason your analogy fails. She didn't take a chance for anyone else. She did it for herself.

Does that make her a selfish, religious fanatic or a martyr?

It makes her selfish. And it might make her a victim. If she's any sort of martyr, she is a testament to the evil of redemptive monotheism and what it does to people.

• • •​

A side note on the value of redemption. Now, obviously, not all Christians are this whacked, but things like this don't exactly help the infidels feel secure around their religious neighbors:

So at the 2003 conference, when the abstinence educator Pam Stenzel spoke, she knew she didn't have to justify her objection to sex education with prosaic arguments about health and public policy. She could be frank about the real reasons society must not condone premarital sex. "Because it is," as she shouted during one particularly impassioned moment, "Stinking filthy dirty rotten sin!" A pretty, zaftig brunette from Minnesota with a degree in psychology from Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, Stenzel makes a living telling kids not to have sex. Rather, she makes a living trying to scare kids out of having sex. As she says in her video, No Screwing Around, "If you have sex outside of marriage, to a partner who has only been with you, then you will pay." A big part of her mission is puncturing students' beliefs that condoms can protect them. She says she addresses half a million kids each year, and millions more have received her message via video. Thanks to George W. Bush, abstinence education has become a thriving industry, and Stenzel has been at its forefront. Bush appointed her to a twelve-person task force at the Department of Health and Human Services to help implement abstinence education guidelines. She's been a guest at the White House and a speaker at the United Nations. Her non-profit company, Enlightenment Communications, which puts on abstinence talks and seminars in public schools, typically grossed several hundred thousand dollars a year during the first Bush term.

At Reclaiming America for Christ, Stenzel told her audience about a conversation she'd had with a skeptical businessman on an airplane. The man had asked about abstinence education's success rate, a question she regarded as risible.

"What he's asking," she said, "is 'does it work?' You know what? Doesn't matter. 'Cause guess what? My job is not to keep teenagers from having sex. The public school's job should not be to keep teens from having sex."

Then her voice rose and turned angry as she shouted, "Our job should be to tell kids the truth!" And I should say that up 'til then, I agreed with her. But here's what she means by the truth:

"People of God," she cried, "can I beg you to commit yourself to truth? Not what works, to truth! I don't care if it works, because at the end of the day, I'm not answering to you. I'm answering to God.

"Let me tell you something, People of God, that is radical, and I can only say it here," she said. "AIDS is not the enemy. HPV and a hysterectomy at twenty is not the enemy. An unplanned pregnancy is not the enemy. My child believing that they can shake their fist in the face of a holy God and sin without consequence, and my child spending eternity separated from God, is the enemy! I will not teach my child that they can sin safely!"

(Michelle Goldberg)

This is how valuable redemption is to some Christians. There is no greater currency than the eternal soul.

(For a larger excerpt of Ms. Goldberg's discussion, see post #1586886. The citation link will lead to an audio recording.)

• • •​

I should have made the poll public. (I'm accustomed to private ballots.) It would be interesting to know who won't go to hell for their children, whether they have children, and the rationale behind their decision.

It's not a matter of calculated strategy. It is the notion that her love was anywhere but her children. ...
I would invite you to propose another reason for making such a decision on faith. ...
That seems rather an absurd proposition. The "wrong" Ms. Gough sought to prevent was her own condemnation. She died for herself. ...

You have a right to your opinion, Tiassa, but have you no compassion for the freedom of choices that others make for which you might not agree?

Yes, you think she was wrong in her decision. But it's her right of choice. Would you take that choice from us all ...just because you don't agree with those choices?

Baron Max

Her husband and parents also refused to allow the doctors to give a transfusion once she was unresponsive. That makes them guilty, at least ethically, of something equivalent to manslaughter.

That, of course, is absurd. It was the patient and her family's beliefs not to use transfusions. Are you suggesting that doctors should go against the patients' beliefs and requests?

If, for example, a patient has cancer and he opts to live out the remainder of his life as is. Are you suggesting that doctors and hospitals should force that patient to have cancer treatments? Because I don't see any difference between the two conditions. A free person has some rights, don't he?

Baron Max

Jehova's witnesses have to be the most fanatical religous people out there. When you are a JW, you are either extremely religious, or you are not a JW. There is no in between!

Jehova's witnesses have to be the most fanatical religous people out there.

Does that include the Muslims who blow up other Muslims in the Middle East?

I don't know any Jehovahs Witnesses who've even done anything remotely like that, have you?

And don't you agree with the rights of people to believe as they choose?

Baron Max

Baron Max said:

Would you take that choice from us all ...just because you don't agree with those choices?

Where the hell does that come from?

Where the hell does that come from?

Well, Tiassa, you wanted to take the choice away from that woman, didn't you? And if you take it from her, why not take other choices for others that you don't agree with? What's the difference?

It's about choice, Tiassa, unless you missed that part of your own OP.

Baron Max

Shame it's not open, I'd like to see who voted what.

Now I clicked 'yes' without even reading the opening post because, if such a place and god existed, I would happily go to hell if it somehow helped my children, (indeed I brought this up in one of my threads).

However, I hadn't read the post. Now that I have let's be frank and honest and state that when it comes to the religious [real] - kids, mothers, fathers and any other human always takes a back seat to sky daddy. I personally think it's disgusting, indeed I asked jan or jenyar, (I forget), the question a few years back: "do you love god more than your own children".. When I got a yes I almost puked.

However, I hadn't read the post. Now that I have let's be frank and honest and state that when it comes to the religious [real] - kids, mothers, fathers and any other human always takes a back seat to sky daddy. I personally think it's disgusting, indeed I asked jan or jenyar, (I forget), the question a few years back: "do you love god more than your own children".. When I got a yes I almost puked.

Okay, you don't like the woman's choice, but would you deny her that choice? I think that's the important question here .....no whether you agree with her choice or not, but do you wish to deny her or others that choice to make?

It's all about choices ......not yours, but theirs.

Baron Max

On what do you base that?

So this whole rant of yours is just to say that you don't agree with the choice that the family made? That's it? ...just that you don't agree? And you posted this rant because of it? ...LOL!!!

Baron Max

Okay, you don't like the woman's choice, but would you deny her that choice? I think that's the important question here .....no whether you agree with her choice or not, but do you wish to deny her or others that choice to make?

Ok, I appreciate and understand the question, but let me pose it to you from my perspective.

I personally know a lady that hears a voice that tells her to kill herself. She has tried to do so many times.

Should we not deny her that 'choice'?

Now, you might argue that there is a difference, that one does not really have a choice whereas the other is making a personal decision - but no, they are both succumbing to an invisible authority - and that is where the problem lies.

I could say that there is an invisible entity that tells me to go out and kill black folk. No, I will never, (or would have never), have my sanity questioned - and yet I am harming others because of an invisible authority. This woman is doing the exact same thing. She is harming others because of an invisible authority. The only reason it's forgiven is sheer numbers.

Should it be allowed?

No.

Unfortunately sometimes 'choices' must be refused and disallowed. Sure, life would be grand if we could all do what we wanted to, but it simply does not work that way. So we allow certain things under the basis that it does no harm to others. But then every action that results in death ultimately does cause harm to others.

Now I will say ok, you want to jump off a bridge that is your own choice, but before allowing you to do so surely we must investigate why you would want to, what harm you will cause others in doing so, and if we can possibly change your attitude. I have never seen a decent argument against survival. The only arguments I have ever seen come from those barely in a position to offer an argument.

If the best argument for death is an invisible authority, I'm sorry, but it's just not sufficient to let those people die.

Baron Max said:

So this whole rant of yours is just to say that you don't agree with the choice that the family made? That's it? ...just that you don't agree? And you posted this rant because of it?

I asked you a question.

On what do you base your statements about taking away the woman's choice?

In the meantime, to answer yet more misguided, presumptuous questions, the actual purpose of this topic is fairly simple, and stated in as simple a manner as possible:

• Is this what Jesus meant?

• What would you risk for your children? Is eternal damnation on the list?​

I'm sorry that was too complicated for you, Max.

Back