Golden Rule

nameless said:
I don't know if this has been pointed out, but the correct translation is, "Do NOT do unto others what you would NOT have done to you."

Is this true, that this is indeed the correct translation? The so called "golden rule" is truly the so called "silver rule" all along? Damn shame about the translation being botched... there's certainly been a lot time wasted over an incorrect translation then.

BTW - the rule you quote, which is often called the silver rule. I've taken to promoting this rule as The Monolaw.

Knight, Yes it is, and yes it is!
I dont know if you are being sarcastic or what, but just because a mistranslation has been accepted for so long doesn't make it correct. Like the difference between the 'Red Sea' and the 'Reed Sea' of biblical referrence. One makes sense, the other doesn't. I took it from the source. The correct translation doesn't have the inherent problems as the mistrans. In other words, not as much time would have been 'wasted' discussing the original translation.
'Gold' and 'silver'.. how burgeois! How about the 'Titanium Rule'?

nameless said:
Knight, Yes it is, and yes it is!
I dont know if you are being sarcastic or what, but just because a mistranslation has been accepted for so long doesn't make it correct. Like the difference between the 'Red Sea' and the 'Reed Sea' of biblical referrence. One makes sense, the other doesn't. I took it from the source. The correct translation doesn't have the inherent problems as the mistrans. In other words, not as much time would have been 'wasted' discussing the original translation.
'Gold' and 'silver'.. how burgeois! How about the 'Titanium Rule'?

nameless,

No I wasn't being sarcastic. And I'm not the one that labeled the Golden Rule nor the Silver Rule nor the Titanium Rule, so please don't blame me for being bourgeois.

I was amazed and delighted by the information that the way the Monolaw is stated in (most?) bibles is actually a mistranslation. You are absolutely correct the mistranslation has inherent problems that the correct translation does not have. By chance, can you supply me with an authoritative reference to this mistranslation; I would be most grateful.

You might be interested in the Monolaw blog that I am trying establish.

The Monolaw Blog

Steve

Hi Steve.
I am not accusing you of bourgeoisism(?), and the 'Titaniun Rule' thing was my attempt at humor.. *__-
Sorry that I cannot give you a site or specific referrence. When young, I studied the Torah where the 'Law' is found, in the original Hebrew. That is where I learned the 'correct' translation. Since then, I have, through non-use, forgotten 99.99% of the Hebrew language, but I do remember the lessons.
Actually, today, it would serve me better to learn Spanish! *__-
I guess that the 'revised' translation has become a social 'meme'.

Going to look at your blog now. Thanx...

Back