Golden Rule

it's sort of like this: for every person brutally murdered there are at least 2,000,000 living happilly and with out fear of direct assault.
We have a population of over 6 billion people and frankly it is surprising we get along as well as we do....
I guess all I am attempting to do is put things in a little perspective.

Mind you a person who is being abused or has been abused this isn't easy to do but I assure you it is worth the effort.

Light,

No, I would use the highly techincal term "fool" instead. You are clearly not someone I would want to know or be associated with.

I'm actually a nice person. It's just that I realized, along with billions of other people, that my happiness (or unhappiness) doesn't depend on other people.
Indeed, but my consistency and logicality may seem repulsive to many people.

Quantum Quack,

You are right and as usual you have succeeded in denting my ideal view on the world.
You mention the strife in Croatia and fail to realise that even though the individuals concerned may be upset about homosexuality the governement has evolved enough to know this as being a negative quatlity and showed no support for their outrage at homosexuality. If thed government acted in support of the homophobia your point would be more valid. IMO

What makes you think I failed to realize that?

I find it sad that you have such pessimism towards humanity.

But I'm not pessimistic towards humanity!

I just don't subscribe to the usual co/depent view on what it takes for a person to be happy.

But whilst ...

I bet this is the Prince James effect!

Quantum Quack said:
it's sort of like this: for every person brutally murdered there are 2,000,000 living happilly and with out fear of direct assault.

Do you think there is a causal relationship between 1 brutally murdered person and 2 million living happily?

So often, we are mistakingly taking our safety and affluence for the absence of a threat and of proof of our own value.

We think, deep inside, "The universe should care about our happiness. We have the right that others respect our rights and make us happy."

Mind you a person who is being abused or has been abused this isn't easy to do but I assure you it is worth the effort.

It all depends on why one attempts optimism, on what grounds, with what justification.

water said:
Quantum Quack,

What makes you think I failed to realize that?

But I'm not pessimistic towards humanity!

I just don't subscribe to the usual co/depent view on what it takes for a person to be happy.

I bet this is the Prince James effect!

ha ha...it probably is.....

Seriously though Water you may not realise it but sometimes your posts are incredibly ......hmmmmmm.....graphic.......and certainly challenge the reader.... [ which I happen to think is not such a bad thing]

Of course you are quite right in saying that dependancy on others for your own happiness can only lead to a lesser happiness. The dependancy being the mitigating factor.
"The more you rely on others for your happiness the more unhappy you become" is a motto I have held to for ages. So I quite agree with your comments.
However I think there may be a bit of "cross-context-ing" going on......but whilst this may be the case I'll leave you to fight your own battles...... ;)

water said:
Do you think there is a causal relationship between 1 brutally murdered person and 2 million living happily?

So often, we are mistakingly taking our safety and affluence for the absence of a threat and of proof of our own value.

We think, deep inside, "The universe should care about our happiness. We have the right that others respect our rights and make us happy."

It all depends on why one attempts optimism, on what grounds, with what justification.

these questions are very valid and deserve a thread on their own.

Quantum Quack said:
ok...ok..peoples...hmmmmm...from my own readings both of you are quite astute. Light, possibly it would be wise to ask Water more detail as to why her words seem so biased. I think you will be surprised by the outcome.

Water,
You are right and as usual you have succeeded in denting my ideal view on the world.
You mention the strife in Croatia and fail to realise that even though the individuals concerned may be upset about homosexuality the governement has evolved enough to know this as being a negative quatlity and showed no support for their outrage at homosexuality. If thed government acted in support of the homophobia your point would be more valid. IMO
I find it sad that you have such pessimism towards humanity. Sure my view sometimes seems idealistic, well Ok I admit it I am an idealist. But whilst I see great strife in mankind I also see great potential that affords optimism.

Hello Quantum Quack,

I appreciate your effort to smooth things over. Honestly, I do - but there is something else going on here.

She has had ample opportunity to explain why she has this warped view but has chosen not to. Rather, most of what she's posted are simple one-liners that seem to be clear attemps at baiting.

If she wishes to explain what's behind her attititude I'll be more than happy to read it. If she's been the victim of extreme abuse, I can understand the effect that has. If not, well, I'll save that for after the facts have been presented (of she so chooses).

Quantum Quack said:
I recall a film where thousands of buffalo were slaughtered just for their skins, their meat value lost to the fields on which they stood.

Just an example of how absurd mankind was back then. Of course today we are more conscious of our environment and would never waste thousands of buffalo in such a manner.

You'd be hard pressed today to find thousands of buffalo.
The Golden Rule should be "Go and piss in your own back yard".

sniffy said:
You'd be hard pressed today to find thousands of buffalo.
The Golden Rule should be "Go and piss in your own back yard".
Ha...Actually I think the golden rule suggest this too...."If you are going to piss on any one piss on yourself....." or "If you a pissing on someone else be aware you are only pissing on yourself"..

Light,

I have made myself clear, go back and read my posts again.
What is warped are your generalizations and inferences you make to my statements.

And you suggesting that I have my particular stance due to being abused -- that is a low blow.

water said:
Light,

I have made myself clear, go back and read my posts again.
What is warped are your generalizations and inferences you make to my statements.

And you suggesting that I have my particular stance due to being abused -- that is a low blow.

No, Water, you may think you've made yourself clear but you certainly have not. I've read each and every one of your posts carefully. You've made several hints but you haven't provided your own clear reasons WHY your views are what they are. And I would be interested.

The reference to abuse was not in the least intended to be offensive. I said that only because I've known a number of people who've been mistreated and it often times results in the sort of bitterness you seem to be expressing. There was no harm intended in that statement, rather it was supposed to show a willingness to try to understand someone's stance.

Light said:
No, Water, you may think you've made yourself clear but you certainly have not. I've read each and every one of your posts carefully. You've made several hints but you haven't provided your own clear reasons WHY your views are what they are. And I would be interested.

Well, I can't account for your preconceptions ...

I said clearly that the issues I questioned were whether
1. humans need other humans in order to be happy and safe,
and
2. whether we are per default responsible for eachother's wellbeing.

Neither of this is true; at least the crime rates are proof enough that many people do not act as if they are responsible for the other person's well-being. If they would be responsible, they wouldn't act the way they do.

And you don't seem to distinguish between

how things are

and

how you think things should be.

You've never asked me before why I think the way I do. I could write a book on that.

The reference to abuse was not in the least intended to be offensive. I said that only because I've known a number of people who've been mistreated and it often times results in the sort of bitterness you seem to be expressing. There was no harm intended in that statement, rather it was supposed to show a willingness to try to understand someone's stance.

Seem is the word, yes. I'm not bitter.

Light said:
You've made several hints but you haven't provided your own clear reasons WHY your views are what they are. And I would be interested.
/.../
There was no harm intended in that statement, rather it was supposed to show a willingness to try to understand someone's stance.

And you are saying this now, while a little back, you said:

No, I would use the highly techincal term "fool" instead. You are clearly not someone I would want to know or be associated with.

Make up your mind. You are interested in the thoughts of someone whom you clearly would not want to know?

how things are

and

Oh look, its the pot calling the kettle black again.

water said:
Well, I can't account for your preconceptions ...

What preconceptions? I haven't brought any to the table.

I said clearly that the issues I questioned were whether
1. humans need other humans in order to be happy and safe,
and
2. whether we are per default responsible for eachother's wellbeing.

Neither of this is true; at least the crime rates are proof enough that many people do not act as if they are responsible for the other person's well-being. If they would be responsible, they wouldn't act the way they do.

how things are

and

Ah, but I do distinguish between the two! :) The vast majority of people do indeed act as if those two things are true (which they are). It's always been a tiny majority of rotten apples that makes the whole basket seem bad. So now who is it that cannot distinguish the difference, eh? ;)

You've never asked me before why I think the way I do. I could write a book on that.

I'm asking now - so start writing. I promise to read every word.

Seem is the word, yes. I'm not bitter.

I see. However, perception is all that matters in other's opinion of your attitude. Even if you only seem bitter they are left with the firm impression that you are bitter. People in general are not very good at seeing through a solid wall that someone has built around themselves.

water said:
Make up your mind. You are interested in the thoughts of someone whom you clearly would not want to know?

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts. Well, except for a handfull of nuts here like MattMarr and others like him.

Q!

Oh Q, I have missed you!

Light,

What preconceptions? I haven't brought any to the table.

Your preconceptions about what is "normal" and what constitutes a "fool".

Ah, but I do distinguish between the two!

When?

The vast majority of people do indeed act as if those two things are true (which they are). It's always been a tiny majority of rotten apples that makes the whole basket seem bad. So now who is it that cannot distinguish the difference, eh?

You are arguing from the argument of appealing to the majority or presumed majority, but not that there is any reliable statistics on it. And even if there were, all empirical evidence is inherently relativistic and not useful to base any absolute statements on it.

You are arguing from empirical observation. Deriving ethical arguments from observations leads to the the pattern:

"what is (the majority), is normal, what is normal is desirable".

The popular form of this is "Everybody else is doing it, so I must do it too". I hope you see that this is not a sufficient ethical basis, as it includes both behaviours that we consider bad, as well as behaviours we consider good -- and so the basic consideration of ethics (good vs. bad) is completely relativized if we base ethical arguments on observation.

If you think those two premises ("we need other people in order to be happy and safe" and "we are per default responsible for eachother's well-being") are true, then you are saying that we have no choice but to act on them -- and so in fact, we have no choice but be unhappy if others cause us harm, and that those who are not unhappy in such a situation, are in denial.

So, according to your logic, if someone speaks insults to me, I am obligated to be unhappy and hurt; the person says hurtful things, and because my happiness or unhappiness depends on other people (according to your logic), I am hurt and unhappy, or in denial.

I'm asking now - so start writing. I promise to read every word.

Simply put: In my experience, it turned out that there is no necessary relationship between what others do to me, and how I feel.

If I am unhappy, no matter what people do can make me happy. If I am happy, no matter what people do can make unhappy.

Surely, this realization goes totally against the grain of what we are socially trained to believe -- that you have to get angry or cry if someone speaks badly to you, for example.
But as much as I'd like to slip back into those old comfortable ways of making others responsible for how I feel -- this is not it. How I feel doesn't depend on others, nor on circumstances. How I feel depends on *my response* to what others do to me, or what circumstances I am in. And this response is mine, it is not conditioned by others.

It's frightening, really, and it would be so much more cozy to simply say to someone who spoke hurtfully to me, "You make me so unhappy! It's your fault that I'm so miserable!" But it is not true.

I have come to find that some major religions, each in their particular way, agree with me. Ask any consequent Christian, Buddhist or Krishna follower, and they'll tell you what I told you.

I see. However, perception is all that matters in other's opinion of your attitude. Even if you only seem bitter they are left with the firm impression that you are bitter.

Well, this is your doing. Your perceptions, based on your preconceptions.

People in general are not very good at seeing through a solid wall that someone has built around themselves.

I have no walls. I'm just not your "average nice proper middle-class girl". I'm not at your mercy. You can't fuck with me. How inconvenient, isn't it?

water said:
I have no walls. I'm just not your "average nice proper middle-class girl". I'm not at your mercy. You can't fuck with me. How inconvenient, isn't it?

<Very heavy sigh> Well, water, I'll pass on the rest of your post and simply say this: I was making a sincere and honest attempt to understand you and your position a little better. I had no intentions of messing with you in any way - convenient or not. But to borrow a famous quote that I'm sure you remember was penned by a very famous playwright, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Your walls are MORE than obvious to everyone other than yourself.

Light said:
<Very heavy sigh> Well, water, I'll pass on the rest of your post and simply say this: I was making a sincere and honest attempt to understand you and your position a little better. I had no intentions of messing with you in any way - convenient or not. But to borrow a famous quote that I'm sure you remember was penned by a very famous playwright, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Your walls are MORE than obvious to everyone other than yourself.

What are my walls, according to you?

water said:
What are my walls, according to you?

The same place other people place them, Water; a protective barrier designed to keep others from getting to know the real you.

Actually, I know you much better than you would ever imagine. And I was making a freindly attempt to try to get to the source of your pain in an effort to see if I might be able to help.

Back