God...who believes?

Do you believe a God/Gods/Higher Being exists?

• Total voters
But that's all we've ever talked about.
I think that you believe that you experienced God, but I'm not convinced that it was really God that you experienced. I'm not calling you a liar.
You can't ask if you are convincing in general, it needs a context.
For what it's worth, I think you are a decent and honest person and probably very pleasant to be around (as long as you aren't talking to God while ignoring me :p).

ok, i can live with that. :)

Then why call it God? Why the personification ?

well i don't necessarily think god is a personification. maybe an embodiment.

and nature is really just a bunch of matter. it's the law that governs the matter right? without law it would just be a big lifeless glob of chaotic mush.

Glaucon, do you have any thoughts on post 34?

Not that I'm sure how it's relevant but....

You're entirely correct. Outside of the scope of 'nature', there is no natural law.
What we call natural law is nothing but the inductive generalizations of behavioural patterns that have been observed in nature.

Interestingly, note that without an observer, there is neither natural law, nor nature.....

:)

well i don't necessarily think god is a personification. maybe an embodiment.

and nature is really just a bunch of matter. it's the law that governs the matter right? without law it would just be a big lifeless glob of chaotic mush.

Nature includes both matter/energy and the laws, it's all in one.
The laws may govern the matter/energy, but the matter/energy likewise governs the laws.
I have to admit that I don't have a detailed understanding of this though.

You're entirely correct. Outside of the scope of 'nature', there is no natural law.
What we call natural law is nothing but the inductive generalizations of behavioural patterns that have been observed in nature.

Interestingly, note that without an observer, there is neither natural law, nor nature.....

I happily reject that last line though, if you don't mind :p

I don't understand. Explain ?

well, that there's no law without nature, and no nature without an observer.

it kind of rings the same to me.

i mean, i can draft a house, but i don't have to actually build the thing.

well, that there's no law without nature, and no nature without an observer.

it kind of rings the same to me.

i mean, i can draft a house, but i don't have to actually build the thing.
The observer is part of nature..
Anyhow, I don't think Glaucon is saying that the moon isn't there if you close your eyes. An observer can apparently be anything, but I'm not big on Quantum Physics.

The observer is part of nature..
Anyhow, I don't think Glaucon is saying that the moon isn't there if you close your eyes. An observer can apparently be anything, but I'm not big on Quantum Physics.

and you said that nature was part of the law.

Anyhow.. perhaps we should continue this elsewhere (or not at all). We're kind of off-topic :p

Yuck. Are we really going into Schrodinger? :eek:

Meh, but this discussion as a whole positively reeks of potential semantic dispute.

Back