gawd bless those miners

Gawd bless that stick!

During trying times people cling to whatever makes them feel comforted.
A fair assessment of the psychological rewards of having religion.
I think the President name-dropping God is mostly harmless "feel-good-ism". This is S.O.P. for Presidents.
Bush on God, in general terms:

•_God was with the miners
• The legal authority of the United States is derived from God
• God is on our side in a holy war against Islam

The name-dropping by the President also invokes certain constitutional issues; Bush can say, as a person, whatever he wants about God. But as the president, he has sworn (on a Bible, no less) to protect and defend the Constitution which maintains that the government shall not endorse religion.

By and large, though, I find the issue of God in this case to have two specific positions:

• That I will grant the miners whatever comfort they seek during that period; it is not within the scope of my human authority to reject that comfort-seeking.

• That the efforts of human beings in rescue circumstances amount to nothing.

On that second, which is obviously the harder to swallow--One of my cousins once married a nice but ineffectual man and both of them went on a born-again bender. He burned all of his rock and roll cassettes (Styx was of the devil) except for Lynrd Skynrd (Sweet Home Alabama was apparently a godly song). Predictably, Queensrÿche was idolatrous, as was Iron Maiden and Ozzy. DC Talk and Michael W Smith and Julie "Something-or-another" became the utmost testament to quality music he understood (this was predictable at the time). God help me if I ever have to listen to Carman again while blazing along the highway in a VW Rabbit.

On the one hand, for reference, he came to God as a teenager when he nearly drowned. He grabbed out for a dock-raft floating in the lake and caught hold of a stick that some kid had wedged between the boards and used this to pull himself up. It was God that put the stick there for him, and it was God through the saving miracle of Jesus Christ who kept the stick from breaking or coming loose from its mount as he pulled himself to safety. Counterpoint: he nearly drowned less than ten feet away from a dock. Counterpoint: all of his friends who were there agreed that it was a miracle from Jesus, thus fostering his conversion. None of them can be said, even in his telling of the story, to have helped him while he was in distress.

So the guy gets on a health bender after the premature birth of his first child into critical condition. Fair enough, I suppose. He starts running, eating better, and eventually takes up fun-runs and longer races. I remember one summer when he finished a marathon. "I'm exhausted," he said.

You should be, I told him. You've just run a marathon.

"No I haven't," he said. "Jesus just ran that marathon ...."

Forgive me if I spare you the thirty minutes of conversation which followed.

The sum effect is disgusting to me: a guy busts his balls, runs a marathon, and I'm not sure what gets more offensive to me there, that he would refuse credit for his efforts according to his brainwashed, born-again zeal, or that he would demean Jesus by pretending that the Lord and Savior had time to be running a marathon while ethnic cleansing, starvation, and rape scourged the face of the earth.

In a like manner, determination, ingenuity, and compassion drove the trapped miners' colleagues to work feverishly and unceasingly to save them. I won't necessarily take issue with an assertion that the rescuers' faith compelled them to such determination and compassion, but I find it ridiculous to demean the accomplishments of men in order to pay tribute to God.
This is a dangerous world we live in. Sometimes our actions cause us to get hurt, or even die. God is not a genie that pops up when we demand it. He doesn't appear and whisk us out of danger at OUR whim. If it is not our time to die, we survive
The ultimate surrender to fatalism.

If it's your time to die, you die. Well and fine. If not, you don't. Well and fine.

Help me out with an issue of God's will: Was it my dearest friend's time to be raped by her father for eight years before I knew her?

Or another friend of mine: Was it really her time to die and decompose in the woods so that the most famous serial-killer task force in the world had to be called in to remove her remains?

Two last notes:

This is an evil "fallen" world: The presumption of sin is a standard in the Christian perspective. I have often been critical of such a perspective because of the division it leads to between people. The presumption of sin mandates a fundamental distrust of all people anywhere. I have to say that I find such distrust ludicrous, lunatic, and beyond excuse.

Barring tragedy, our choices determine whether we navigate through it safely or not: Barring tragedy? That's like the old environmental report that said, "Barring volcanic eruptions and the years immediately following, the climate can be seen to be warming at X rate." Well, guess what? Volcanoes are real, and they're not going away. The planet's warming, you say? Why, then, adjust out the drop of as much as 4°C for a period as long as 10 years after an eruption? Because it lowers the rate of warming? Why, then, bar tragedies? The choices we make put us in the way of those tragedies. If there's an earthquake in Seattle and people die when the 99 Viaduct collapses (as it will, since it's made of wood and sustained damage in the last quake we had up here), we can say that their choices determined their safety. Around here, it is popular to live 30-50 miles from where you work, and to commute by car. If I'm coming, say, from Federal Way, and 509 drops me onto 99 to get to work, and I am driving along the viaduct when the earthquake hits, it can be reasonably argued that my choices put me in harm's way. These guys took jobs as miners; their choice, luckily, didn't kill them.

Why pretend on any level that tragedy doesn't exist? It only works to reduce preparedness.

Go ask anyone who lives near an active volcano. They know. They know.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

This thread is getting up on my titties.

I think Tiassa summed it up pretty well. But I would add that praising God for rescues and such makes no sense to me because:

If you praise God when things go good, why not curse him when things go bad?

On 911, why didn't we hear Christians condemn God for letting such an awful thing happen? I admit it sounds stupid but still not as stupid as Bush's comments on the miners.

On 911, why didn't we hear Christians condemn God for letting such an awful thing happen? I admit it sounds stupid but still not as stupid as Bush's comments on the miners.
We did however have Christians who said that sin caused god to send a fireball into the building as retribution.... We also had Christians say god was looking out for them that day (that horrible fucking day when thousands of people died) - looking out for them as if they were more important than those other thousands of people.

Not to mention religion was the reason it happened anyways (sure theres politics behind it, but would anyone commit a suicide attack like that if they didnt believe it would lead to good afterlife)

Good post tiassa, although I find your analogies weird and lengthy...still a good post.

Last edited:
Re: Gawd bless that stick!

==============================================
Tiassa wrote:
The name-dropping by the President also invokes certain constitutional issues; Bush can say, as a person, whatever he wants about God. But as the president, he has sworn (on a Bible, no less) to protect and defend the Constitution which maintains that the government shall not endorse religion.

In the Constitution it states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

The old "separation of Church and state" issue is a falacy. Thanks to irreligious people, the 1st amendment which protects us from having a state sponsored, state-run, state-mandated religion has been misinterpreted to bar any overt religious beliefs or comment by anyone affiliated with the government.

Bush is NOT Congress... and saying "God bless America" does not create a law establishing a state-operated religion.

Tiassa wrote:
By and large, though, I find the issue of God in this case to have two specific positions:

• That I will grant the miners whatever comfort they seek during that period; it is not within the scope of my human authority to reject that comfort-seeking.

Okay. Then we agree.

Tiassa wrote:
• That the efforts of human beings in rescue circumstances amount to nothing.

That is not what it means. What do you care what motivates or comforts people?

Tiassa wrote:
This is an evil "fallen" world: The presumption of sin is a standard in the Christian perspective. I have often been critical of such a perspective because of the division it leads to between people. The presumption of sin mandates a fundamental distrust of all people anywhere. I have to say that I find such distrust ludicrous, lunatic, and beyond excuse.

You are spinning my point of view to meet your own ends. There is evil in the world. Agree? Assuming that you would agree that there is an unpleasant side to life (often termed "evil), I'll proceed. Since evil exists, we can question the purpose and/or origin of it. From the atheist standpoint the purpose of unpleasantness is "natural selection". To the theist the purpose of unpleasantness (evil) is to draw a clear distinction between sin and righteousness. As to the question of origin, the atheist believes the unpleasantness of life began in prehistory when one specie competed with the other to survive. Each death was a refining process known as "survival of the fittest". To the theist, evil's origin began with man's rejection of God. It has NOTHING to do with distrusting other people.

Tiassa wrote:
Why pretend on any level that tragedy doesn't exist? It only works to reduce preparedness.

Did I say that tragedy doesn't exist? <looks around confused, scratching head vigorously>

I fully claim, no PROCLAIM... tragedy happens. Even to Christians <gasp>. That's right. This is a dangerous world.

By the way, how do YOU cope with despair?

-Mike

Generally I avoid despair whenever possible. When, however, I am victim to one of my "black moods." I generally release my overall frustration at the world through physical action. Usually that of hitting trees or brick walls. I am trying to find other ways of coping with my emotions, as I wish to be a programmer, making my hands my livelyhood, and hitting brick walls can be detrimental to my hands. Currently I am pursuing meditation and other forms of stress management. I generally do not find myself in any form of despair due to the way the world functions. I've accepted that bad things happen, i seek no comfort in the arms of an illusionary mythic 'creator'.

Angelus wrote:
...i seek no comfort in the arms of an illusionary mythic 'creator'.

I guarantee you, before you pass away, you will seek comfort in the "arms" of someone, or something. Otherwise...

Those who have no comfort, have only despair. Those who have only despair lose hope. Those who lose hope give up. Those who give up... perish.

Sounds pretty grim to me.

-Mike

Thor wrote:
Mike, stop being so Petit (if thats how you spell it)

Petit? No clue.

-Mike

My vote is Petty was meant.

Of small importance; trivial: a petty grievance.
Marked by narrowness of mind, ideas, or views.
Marked by meanness or lack of generosity, especially in trifling matters.
Secondary in importance or rank; subordinate. See Synonyms at trivial.
Law. Variant of petit.

Ekimklaw ...

"By the way, how do YOU cope with despair?"

Used to be I'd go out and kill something.

Now, I just jerk-off.

Take care ;)

I seek comfort in friends. Not dreams. Some call me a "realist."

Ekimklaw

Bush is NOT Congress... and saying "God bless America" does not create a law establishing a state-operated religion.
Looking at the world and declaring that "God is on our side" in a war is a bit of an exploitation of the office. That may be the president's opinion, but were I not a standard pacifist I would still reject the Afghani Bush War and the War on Terror on the grounds that "God is not on anybody's side" in a war. So the president feels so strongly compelled to identify his faith by saying "God bless America" over and over again? Not a problem; it's not nearly as annoying as hearing the song of that title over and over again during the seventh inning stretch. But no, God is not on our side in any war, and no, our judges do not derive their authority from God.

Although, hmmmm ... appointing federal judges who believe that they derive their authority from God ... that's a bit of an intrusion; if that is a prerequisite to Bush's judicial appointments, then we can fairly say that his religion is being exercised through the government.

A reminder to President Bush: It's the people, stupid. You derive your authority from the people.
That is not what it means. What do you care what motivates or comforts people?
I think any time you attribute the efforts and actions of people to "God" the end result is that the people become unimportant, mere tools. Such as my cousin's husband: he can call Jesus Christ whatever degree of inspiration he wishes to, but I'm quite sure that it was Mr. Husband who ran the marathon.

For some of the mine rescuers, faith may have commanded them to continue in their labors; for some, faith may have compelled them to a deep compassion for their trapped comrades; for some, their faith may not have had time to come into conscious play and can only be accounted for in the instinctive setting of priorities. Whatever contribution the rescuers' ideas of God may have offered, it was still the work of humans, and not the work of God that got the trapped miners out of there, just as it was the work of humans, and not, as fadingCaptain pointed out (indirectly), the work of God.

As to what I care? It matters depending on what it is. If it's the right thing to do, then it's nice to know that doing the right thing wasn't an accidental coincidence. If it's the wrong thing, the reasons why are a good thing to pay attention to.
You are spinning my point of view to meet your own ends.
Dude, you're the one who wrote, This is an evil and "fallen" world.

Fallen?

We'll get to it, I see.
To the theist the purpose of unpleasantness (evil) is to draw a clear distinction between sin and righteousness
Only to such petty theists as those who bother to worry about "sin" and "righteousness". But I think I see the problem:
To the theist, evil's origin began with man's rejection of God
Maybe to the Christian. To many theists, evil is merely a natural aspect of existence, thus a natural aspect of God.
It has NOTHING to do with distrusting other people.
Actually, the Christian presumption of sin does have something to do with people distrusting other people.

Think about it, Mike.

What's one thing, if I'm a Christian, that I know is true about everyone in the world?

We are, all of us, sinners.

By that theology, we are fallen, corrupted, damaged, tend toward sin and decay.

In other words, by such a theology, adherents bear an underlying distrust toward everyone.

Think about it for a second.

Look around on the street.

Does being Christian make one suddenly sin-free? Of course not.

Look around, Mike.

There--that person. She's a sinner. And that one, him too. And that little baby ... oh, how cute. Especially for a little sinner.

Fallen, Mike. By the simple fact of your birth you are unsuitable to stand in the presence of that which created you.

And look around; having served a prison term has never meant that you have paid your debt to society; knowledge of that fact makes a person suspect in the eyes of others. While it is statistically predictable that prisons do not do any real good for a person, it seems a self-fulfilling prophecy: if you expect nothing of a person, you will get nothing. If you show now respect, you will get no respect. Or politicians: how often does it occur to the average Joe in the US that the opposing party isn't trying to swindle you; that the "establishment" isn't really trying to swindle you; that the theory isn't that bad? Look at the fundamental distrust: it's not just a disorganized mess, they're trying to screw us. It takes a while to shake such ideas.

But try watching the world for a period--even a week will do--and constantly reminding yourself that people are generally presuming each other to be sinners. The silliness suddenly makes a lot of sense. I promise.
Did I say that tragedy doesn't exist?
Well, you did write:

•_Barring tragedy, our choices determine whether we navigate through it safely or not:

So, yes, for the purposes of the discussion, you did say tragedy doesn't exist, as I have sought to explain to you how our choices are affected by tragedy, even catastrophic tragedy.
By the way, how do YOU cope with despair?
Well, usually I try to identify the factors causing despair and then see what I can do about fixing them.

Seems rational.

Short of that, see Chagur's note. And I've never been one for killing, so you can draw what conclusion you need from that.

thanx,

Re: Ekimklaw

Tiassa wrote:
Looking at the world and declaring that "God is on our side" in a war is a bit of an exploitation of the office.

You cited separation of Church and state. I pointed out that this is not the case. Bush has freedom of speech rights to say "God is on our side" if he wants to. This is protected under the constitution.

Tiassa wrote:
appointing federal judges who believe that they derive their authority from God ... that's a bit of an intrusion; if that is a prerequisite to Bush's judicial appointments, then we can fairly say that his religion is being exercised through the government.

IF... that's a big IF. You don't know of any religious prerequisite. Furthermore, making a prerequisite that they may NOT be religious is discrimination on the grounds of religion. That is agaist the constitution. Point is, it's how they interpret the constitution in light of the LAW that matters. If they are Christians, great. If they are atheists, great. As long as they know what the Constitution is, and what the Laws of this land are, they have every right to be supreme court justices if so appointed and approved.

Tiassa wrote:
I think any time you attribute the efforts and actions of people to "God" the end result is that the people become unimportant, mere tools.

And that's your opinion which you are entitled to. But of course your opinion does not supercede President Bush's, nor mine.

I happen to strongly disagree with you on the above point. If a person finds inner strength during trying times by a belief in God, so be it. If after trying times one mentions it was a belief in God that got them through, so be it. My opinion is that you are making a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak. So, simply put, we disagree here.

Tiassa wrote:
For some of the mine rescuers, faith may have commanded them to continue in their labors; for some, faith may have compelled them to a deep compassion for their trapped comrades; for some, their faith may not have had time to come into conscious play and can only be accounted for in the instinctive setting of priorities. Whatever contribution the rescuers' ideas of God may have offered, it was still the work of humans, and not the work of God that got the trapped miners out of there, just as it was the work of humans, and not, as fadingCaptain pointed out (indirectly), the work of God.

If you don't believe in God, then what difference does it make (they could be praying to a cloud for all you care)? If you do believe in God, then you know God acts through human agency.

Tiassa wrote:
As to what I care? It matters depending on what it is.

It matters to who? You? So what?

Tiassa wrote:
If it's the right thing to do, then it's nice to know that doing the right thing wasn't an accidental coincidence. If it's the wrong thing, the reasons why are a good thing to pay attention to.

"Accidental coincidence" is what all atheists call any act attributed to God. Especially miraculous ones.

Right is right. You shouldn't care who it is attributed to. I seriously doubt anyone would say:

"God rescued the miners. The resuers on scene had nothing whatsoever to do with it. It was all God's doing."

This would be inane. Religious people usually say things like:

"Thank God all the miners made it out safely." or "God was with those miners." or "God was with the rescuers."

This in no way discredits the bravery of the rescuers, the trapped miners or anyone else. One simply has projected their own belief in God onto an emotionally trying situation.

It's like an actor getting an Oscar, and he says "I want to thank my family, without whom this wouldn't be possible." Did the family act in the movie? Did the family go to countless auditions, finally land a part, memorize the lines, sit in make-up for 3 hours? No. But the actor felt their support while he strived to succeed. Is he then wrong when he says "Thanks to my family..."? So what's the difference is someone says "I wanna thank God...". The only difference is it chaps your hide when someone mentions God. Well, no offense, but just get over it.

Tiassa wrote:
To many theists, evil is merely a natural aspect of existence, thus a natural aspect of God.

Maybe if you are a PANtheist. To Christians there is a sharp separation between God and Evil. In fact they stand at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Tiassa wrote:
Actually, the Christian presumption of sin does have something to do with people distrusting other people.

Once again this is your opinion. I don't look around and think "sinner, sinner". The Bible tells me that I should not judge others.

Tiassa wrote:
Fallen, Mike. By the simple fact of your birth you are unsuitable to stand in the presence of that which created you.

A true statement. However, being saved through GRACE, I believe that I have been given a way to God through Jesus.

Tiassa wrote:
...try watching the world for a period--even a week will do--and constantly reminding yourself that people are generally presuming each other to be sinners. The silliness suddenly makes a lot of sense. I promise.

Good idea. I'll kick open the door to my isolation chamber, climb down, and see what's going on outside in "the real world".

Tiassa wrote:
So, yes, for the purposes of the discussion, you did say tragedy doesn't exist... ==============================================

No I didn't. My mistake here was writing a sentence that was totally misunderstood. I wrote:

"Barring tragedy, our choices determine whether we navigate through [our life] safely or not."

Let me rephrase it.

"It is by our CHOICES that we live in safety, or not. Except for those unfortunate times when tragedy happens."

Maybe nNow you can see how your claim that " did say tragedy doesn't exist" is patently untrue. The crux of my sentence was to point out that one lives by ones own choices. I further wanted to iterate that tragedy is seldom (if ever) a choice, but rather, an unfortunate circumstance. I hope that clears the whole thing up.

Anyway... Hope this makes sense this time.

-Mike

Mike

Bush has freedom of speech rights to say "God is on our side" if he wants to. This is protected under the constitution
Is it, then, your claim that the federal government office of the President of the United States has the right to declare such religious conditions?

As a person, sure, he can say that.

In his capacity as President, though, he has just dishonored the office.
IF... that's a big IF. You don't know of any religious prerequisite.
I don't know. Bush himself said it. He said that what we need are judges who understand that their authority comes from God.
Furthermore, making a prerequisite that they may NOT be religious is discrimination on the grounds of religion. That is agaist the constitution.
Given that the nearest thing to that on the books is a South Carolina law that prevents an atheist from holding public office, I'd say you're grabbing at straws. If Mr Bush makes the religion of the appointee in any way, shape, or form, a factor in his decision, he has violated the law. As Mr Bush has sat in front of the nation and the world declaring that he intends to appoint judges who believe their authority comes from God, I'd say that's a pretty clear sign, how about you?
Point is, it's how they interpret the constitution in light of the LAW that matters. If they are Christians, great. If they are atheists, great. As long as they know what the Constitution is, and what the Laws of this land are, they have every right to be supreme court justices if so appointed and approved.
I agree in principle, but find that a very unrealistic and naïve perspective. It's already problematic in Florida, where religious mores compel judges to award custody of children to accused child molesters and convicted murderers because it is a preferable alternative to leaving them in custody of a law-abiding lesbian.

Go figure.

Go fish.
And that's your opinion which you are entitled to. But of course your opinion does not supercede President Bush's, nor mine.
Mike, I am wondering what your problem is?

Here, try it this way:

Who is responsible for the rescue of nine trapped miners in Somerset, Pennsylvania? Is it God or is it a bunch of people who worked their asses off and refused to stop until their comrades were breathing clean air and blinking in the light?

Easy enough?
If a person finds inner strength during trying times by a belief in God, so be it. If after trying times one mentions it was a belief in God that got them through, so be it. My opinion is that you are making a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak. So, simply put, we disagree here.
Hey, Mike ... what's the f@cking problem?

We are not talking about one's belief in God for comfort or strength. In case you hadn't noticed, that point has been discussed and largely agreed upon.

What we are left discussing is whether God itself is responsible for the miners' rescue or the efforts of people. Here, a reminder for you:
• For some of the mine rescuers, faith may have commanded them to continue in their labors; for some, faith may have compelled them to a deep compassion for their trapped comrades; for some, their faith may not have had time to come into conscious play and can only be accounted for in the instinctive setting of priorities. Whatever contribution the rescuers' ideas of God may have offered, it was still the work of humans, and not the work of God that got the trapped miners out of there, just as it was the work of humans, and not, as fadingCaptain pointed out (indirectly), the work of God. (Tiassa, 8.12.02)

• In a like manner, determination, ingenuity, and compassion drove the trapped miners' colleagues to work feverishly and unceasingly to save them. I won't necessarily take issue with an assertion that the rescuers' faith compelled them to such determination and compassion, but I find it ridiculous to demean the accomplishments of men in order to pay tribute to God. (Tiassa, 8.08.02)
Why rehash what we already agree on just to take issue with it?
If you don't believe in God, then what difference does it make (they could be praying to a cloud for all you care)? If you do believe in God, then you know God acts through human agency.
Fair enough. Does that mean that God is responsible for saving the trapped miners?

People saved the trapped miners. Just like people and not God or the Devil got the miners into that mess.
It matters to who? You? So what?
Gosh, Mike, don't get so priggy just because I answered your damn question.

Specifically, it matters to me, yes, depending on the issue. Some of it doesn't matter what I think. But shit, man, you're the one who asked, so lighten the f@ck up.
"Accidental coincidence" is what all atheists call any act attributed to God.
Yeah, well I know someone who had a real bad night once. She was raped at a party. Her friends, however, thinking she wanted to be hanging with that guy, ditched her and took off and got plastered to the road by someone even more intoxicated than they were.

So let's look at that.

Should the rapist be thanked for saving the girl from death? Or was it an accidental coincidence? Still an act of God, Mike?

Didn't think so.
This would be inane. Religious people usually say things like:
Fair enough, they rather do.
"I want to thank my family, without whom this wouldn't be possible." Did the family act in the movie? Did the family go to countless auditions, finally land a part, memorize the lines, sit in make-up for 3 hours? No. But the actor felt their support while he strived to succeed. Is he then wrong when he says "Thanks to my family..."? So what's the difference is someone says "I wanna thank God...". The only difference is it chaps your hide when someone mentions God. Well, no offense, but just get over it.
Well, without the family, the actor wouldn't be alive to begin with.

I'd say the big difference is that the family does exist and can be shown to exist. If I say your family doesn't exist and you fly here with them and introduce me to them at the airport ... well, can you do the same with God, Mike?
Maybe if you are a PANtheist. To Christians there is a sharp separation between God and Evil. In fact they stand at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Fair enough. Speak, then, of Christians and not theists in general. Or did you miss that part? You know, the phrase, "Maybe to the Christian ..."? You know, the sentence fragment that comes before the sentence you cited? Yeah, that one right there, that says, Maybe to the Christian. Did you miss that part?
Once again this is your opinion. I don't look around and think "sinner, sinner".
Um, Mike, a simple question for you:

• Are people born free of sin, or are they born into sin?

Tell me, though, if you're a Quaker. At that point things change a great deal. The presumption that people are born into sin as a result of man's fall at Eden undergoes much change when you get to George Fox.
The Bible tells me that I should not judge others.
Yes, well, we understand how hard that is, so we'll forgive that failure of execution.
I'll kick open the door to my isolation chamber, climb down, and see what's going on outside in "the real world"
It's recommended that you do so before yo try to discuss what's actually going on in that real world.
No I didn't. My mistake here was writing a sentence that was totally misunderstood. I wrote:

"Barring tragedy, our choices determine whether we navigate through [our life] safely or not."
Why barring tragedy? I don't think that makes any difference.
Maybe nNow you can see how your claim that " did say tragedy doesn't exist" is patently untrue. The crux of my sentence was to point out that one lives by ones own choices. I further wanted to iterate that tragedy is seldom (if ever) a choice, but rather, an unfortunate circumstance. I hope that clears the whole thing up.
And I would hope that it doesn't matter whether or not you choose tragedy. It is possible to live safely, even in times of random tragedy.

For instance, I choose to live in the city. Where I live, if someone nuked downtown Seattle, the blast would evaporate the lake and dust the very house in which I sit. On the other hand, if I lived south of town, was protected from the blast by hills and so-forth, and had to come into the city on 99 to get to work, the freeway might collapse in the next earthquake. The choices I make affect the outcome of the tragedy. The choice to not clean your basement might fuel the fire that kills you and your children. The choice to get rid of those paint cans may well save your life when the random spark sets something afire downstairs. Think about when the basement fusebox goes in the big earthquake ....

One thing you also need to keep in mind, Mike, is that when people such as our topic poster see God in such a light, it is because God wishes to do so, and just as God bears some responsibility for the miners' rescue (although not, apparently, for getting them into the mess in the first place--thank you God for fixing what wrong you so needlessly caused), God also bears responsibility for how people perceive Him/It. Seriously, Mike ... why don't you go dig up Bush's speech in Pennsylvania and contradict the topic post? Had it not occurred to you to do so?

Hallelujah! The Lord lends a hand to save the people He just tried to kill? Or was it planned from the get-go that they would be okay, and everyone just wasted a load of energy?

thanx,

Re: Mike

I always know I must have hit a nerve when the atheist begins lacing his or her replies with foul language. Congrats Tiassa, you've joined the ranks.

Bush has freedom of speech rights. You know it. Stop trying to argue against it. No law was passed by Bush or anyone else, demanding that YOU or anyone else must attend and join a protestant church. You either need to brush up on the Constitution or have a tumbler of cognac, and relax.

And by the way, your pretty computer savvy, why don't you find some quotes for me of Bush saying that he will appoint Christian supreme justices. I don't fundementally deny that he may have said it, but I think it would lend creedence to your "argument" if you located some quotes for us.

Tiassa wrote:
Hey, Mike ... what's the f@cking problem?

Maybe camomille tea would calm you down.

Tiassa wrote:
We are not talking about one's belief in God for comfort or strength. In case you hadn't noticed, that point has been discussed and largely agreed upon.

What we are left discussing is whether God itself is responsible for the miners' rescue or the efforts of people. Here, a reminder for you:Why rehash what we already agree on just to take issue with it?Fair enough. Does that mean that God is responsible for saving the trapped miners?

People saved the trapped miners. Just like people and not God or the Devil got the miners into that mess.

I'm finished debating this point. I addressed your "argument" about this in my last post. Maybe you could refer to it as a refresher?

Tiassa wrote:
Gosh, Mike, don't get so priggy just because I answered your damn question.

Maybe some ginger root tea would soothe you.

Tiassa wrote:
Specifically, it matters to me, yes, depending on the issue. Some of it doesn't matter what I think. But shit, man, you're the one who asked, so lighten the f@ck up.

Hmmm... Tiassa?

Tiassa wrote:
Yeah, well I know someone who had a real bad night once. She was raped at a party. Her friends, however, thinking she wanted to be hanging with that guy, ditched her and took off and got plastered to the road by someone even more intoxicated than they were.

I've noticed a lot of people you know have bad things happen to them. Are you making this stuff up? Seems aweful convenient that you always know someone who experienced an anecdotal incident germain to whatever argument you happen to be discussing. Wierd.

Tiassa wrote:
Should the rapist be thanked for saving the girl from death? Or was it an accidental coincidence? Still an act of God, Mike?

Didn't think so.

This has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Very dramatic though. This is a fairly transparent attempt at melodrama mixed with flawed analogy. Frankly, I liked my analogy better. You know, the one about the actor thanking his family?

Here comes more about it...

Tiassa wrote:
Well, without the family, the actor wouldn't be alive to begin with.

I'd say the big difference is that the family does exist and can be shown to exist. If I say your family doesn't exist and you fly here with them and introduce me to them at the airport ... well, can you do the same with God, Mike?

You missed the point. Actually I don't for a second think you missed the point, you just want to be argumentative. However, your argument is not relevant to the analogy. So...

Tiassa wrote:
Fair enough. Speak, then, of Christians and not theists in general. Or did you miss that part? You know, the phrase, "Maybe to the Christian ..."? You know, the sentence fragment that comes before the sentence you cited? Yeah, that one right there, that says, Maybe to the Christian. Did you miss that part?

Wow.

Tiassa wrote:
• Are people born free of sin, or are they born into sin?

This is a simple theological question you are oblivious to. I will attempt (uselessly I'm sure) to explain it.

All people are "born into sin". That is born into a world tainted by sin. Humanity has a natural "sin nature".

Children are not "sinners" (people who reject right, in favor of wrong) until they reach the "age of accountability". Once a child knows the abstract concept of right vs. wrong, it is encumbent on him to choose right over wrong. If he does not, he is then (according to Christian belief) a sinner.

I won't go into the whole tragedy thing again, because I feel you are simply being purposely obtuse.

Tiassa wrote:
Seriously, Mike ... why don't you go dig up Bush's speech in Pennsylvania and contradict the topic post? Had it not occurred to you to do so?

Hey your the one who is all bent out of shape over it. If it bolsters your argument, you should quote it here, or provide a link.

Tiassa wrote:
Hallelujah! The Lord lends a hand to save the people He just tried to kill? Or was it planned from the get-go that they would be okay, and everyone just wasted a load of energy?

You spend an awful lot of time mocking a God you do not think even exists.

Have a wonderful day ;)

-Mike

Whiff! (Keep your eye on the ball, Mike)

I always know I must have hit a nerve when the atheist begins lacing his or her replies with foul language. Congrats Tiassa, you've joined the ranks.
I'm an atheist? Wow, is that all it takes to become one?

Or should I simply counter by pointing out that I know a Christian is desperate when he starts calling ideas he doesn't understand "atheist"?

In the meantime, why seek division in what we've already agreed on? I would much rather you focus on the points we haven't agreed on instead of avoid them. I mean, if you don't feel like reading the posts, that's your problem.

I mean, really, Mike: why invent disagreements where we are already in agreement? Why pretend that you have an issue to argue about instead of considering the issues that are not yet resolved?

Why pretend to have a disagreement?

It's annoying when you behave that way, Mike. Of course you struck a nerve. I would expect something more than childishness out of you. If you would like to avoid the question of what your problem is, I would suggest that you try debating the issues at hand instead of ignoring paragraphs of posts in order to invent a disagreement.

It's quite disgraceful.

Ask yourself this, Mike: Would you be proud of your conduct as an advocate of the Good News of Jesus Christ?

Would you stand with pride before the Lord and tell how you ignored agreement in order to create division so that you might have a goal to pursue?

What would Jesus do, Mike? Lie?
Bush has freedom of speech rights. You know it. Stop trying to argue against it
Bush, as a person, has the right to free speech. However Bush, as the president, may not use that office to endorse his religious views.
No law was passed by Bush or anyone else, demanding that YOU or anyone else must attend and join a protestant church. You either need to brush up on the Constitution or have a tumbler of cognac, and relax.
Well, actually, I'm quite up on the Constitution. The Pledge of Allegiance has gotten its due, and it may well be that we'll start taking the state endorsement of Christianity off our money soon. (You do realize that both the "In God we Trust" slogan and the phrase "under God" in the Pledge were both later additions designed to reinforce America's Christian values against the godless communists, do you not?)

Furthermore, I was, in fact, required by law to attend church as a kid. And this in the United States. So I'm not waiting around for Bush to go that far as to try to force me back into the Christian establishment.
And by the way, your pretty computer savvy, why don't you find some quotes for me of Bush saying that he will appoint Christian supreme justices. I don't fundementally deny that he may have said it, but I think it would lend creedence to your "argument" if you located some quotes for us.
I'm happy to provide it. But among Americans, you would have to have been hiding under a rock or nailed to a cross in order to miss it.

Washington Post: "There is a universal God, in my opinion," Bush said. "The Almighty is, obviously, an important part of my life, but a very important part of the life of our country. And that's why the ruling of the court was out of step with the traditions and history of America."

Washington Post: "America is a nation that values our relationship with an Almighty," Bush said. "Declaration of God in the Pledge of Allegiance doesn't violate rights. As a matter of fact, it's a confirmation of the fact that we received our rights from God, as proclaimed in our Declaration of Independence." That document, in which American colonists declared their independence from Britain in 1776, said the colonists had been "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights."

Washington Post: Bush said the ruling "points up the fact that we need common-sense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God. And those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench."

Wow. Three seconds on Google. How many more would you like? Maybe I can get the same quote for you from multiple news agencies?
Maybe camomille tea would calm you down.
Actually, when you cease inventing disagreements I'll calm down. When you cease inventing phantoms to chase, I'll calm down. When you stop dodging the issue, I'll calm down.

In fact, I'm generally calm. But faux-intellectualism gets on my nerves really quick. It's a lot easier, Mike, if you work to be intelligent than if you work to pretend you're more intelligent than you are. You may be quite intelligent, but when you post so stupidly as to invent disagreements to have, it gets on my nerves.
I'm finished debating this point. I addressed your "argument" about this in my last post. Maybe you could refer to it as a refresher?
Or perhaps you could point to that so it doesn't look like you're running away from your own issues?
Maybe some ginger root tea would soothe you.
Naw. What would be best would be if you stopped getting so upset whenever I answer one of your questions.
Hmmm... Tiassa?
Hmm ... Klaw?
I've noticed a lot of people you know have bad things happen to them. Are you making this stuff up? Seems aweful convenient that you always know someone who experienced an anecdotal incident germain to whatever argument you happen to be discussing. Wierd.
I would wonder just how sheltered you are. I mean, I know it's easier for you to disbelieve the bad stuff that happens in the world than to deal with it, but come on ... that's pretty damn low.

The only real difference, Mike, is that I pay attention to my friends and what they tell me about life. I knew the girl raped at that party, but wasn't acquainted with the friends who ditched her and died in the car wreck. I found that out later.

But perhaps that's a valuable insight. Maybe people are Christians because they don't actually know how crazy the world is. Think of it for a moment in terms of the statistics. For instance, 1 in 4 women in America will be sexually violated during their lifetime. How many women do I actually know? I've never stopped to count it. And over the years, that number becomes huge. I have various tales of rape, for instance, related to me by enough girls that I went to high school with that I need both hands to count them. Maybe it hasn't occurred to you, Mike, that when you finally do kick open the door of your isolation chamber, you'll find that there are people out there. And all of them suffer. If you pay even the slightest attention to what's going on with those people, if you listen to even only a few words of what those people tell you, you'll find that a lot of bad stuff happens, and it happens closer to you than you think.

In the meantime, try addressing the actual issue.

Because:
This has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Very dramatic though. This is a fairly transparent attempt at melodrama mixed with flawed analogy. Frankly, I liked my analogy better. You know, the one about the actor thanking his family?
The actor thanking his family is a really dumb analogy. Specifically because,
Did you miss this part, Mike, or is it just too confusing for you?

One thing that I did forget to mention, though, is that it doesn't chap my hide if someone wants to pretend that they did not do something, that God did it instead of them. But it does chap my hide when people extend that idea to the actions of others, I find it merely a cowardly attempt to reinforce one's own presumption of faith. It's cheap, it's spiteful, it's wrong.
You missed the point. Actually I don't for a second think you missed the point, you just want to be argumentative. However, your argument is not relevant to the analogy. So...
Why don't you fill us in on the point? Since you know so clearly what it is, why not pass it on?
Well, that's one thing you share in common with many atheists.
All people are "born into sin". That is born into a world tainted by sin. Humanity has a natural "sin nature".
Thank you. This is a stupid principle that the world could have done well enough by without fixing it as a religious idea.
Children are not "sinners" (people who reject right, in favor of wrong) until they reach the "age of accountability".
Doctrinal and sectarian. Even the newborn infant must necessarily be redeemed by Christ as I understand it.
Once a child knows the abstract concept of right vs. wrong, it is encumbent on him to choose right over wrong. If he does not, he is then (according to Christian belief) a sinner.
Which branch of Christianity is that? Does that innocent infant dead in the hospital require salvation through Jesus?
I won't go into the whole tragedy thing again, because I feel you are simply being purposely obtuse.
Don't blame your inadequate preparation on me. That you're not prepared to debate the points you raise is your own problem.
Hey your the one who is all bent out of shape over it. If it bolsters your argument, you should quote it here, or provide a link.
Because, Mike, you had this topic dead to rights on a technicality and blew it. In case you hadn't noticed, we're arguing a compression of a concept, a restatement that is not fully evident in the situation referred to by the topic.

Some people, though, knew exactly what the topic means and what it implies. You called it out on a level that, if you actually went out and did some research on the net (about three minutes' worth), you can easily support.

I love that line: If it bolsters your argument, you should quote it here, or provide a link.

Mike, to do so would reinforce your argument.

But until you establish the real situation, you're going to flounder through this topic because it refers to a potential concept that many atheists and infidels already recognize in Christianity.
You spend an awful lot of time mocking a God you do not think even exists.
Well, Christians have made that God into such a dangerous, childish social force that it demands much attention. Of course, if you weren't so bent on characterizing me, you might realize that I do acknowledge that the Christian God exists. And since I'm one who believes that people create such tiny gods as IHVH, I have no problem acknowledging that existence. However, the God deserves a lot of mocking. It's such a stupid idea of God and yet it affects people's conduct. It is immediately relevant to me because Christians make my world dangerous. I mean, on a daily, practical level, Christians are more dangerous to me than Muslims.

Perhaps if you spent a little more time thinking about the people you debate with, you might realize that part of the reason some of us don't take you as seriously as you might like is the simple (observable) fact that you're more interested in characterizing your opponent than discussing the issue.

• You have mischaracterized me as an atheist
• You have wrongly declared that I mock a God that I do not believe exists

Add that to the running away from your own issues, and I'm really not sure what to offer up next.

I mean, you had a chance to turn this topic and focus it on reality instead of leaving it in regard to a potential sentiment that many of us have experienced before but which has not yet been documented according to the potential.

And you chose instead to focus on the shadows and cut away at thin air.

At least we know what's important to you.

And no, I'm not going to write your next post for you so no you don't get any more hints.

thanx,

Back