Free Will?

everneo said:
This "effectively 3 different persons but same God" logic is going to haunt christians for ever.

Not really. God the Father, Outside of all time, living in the eternal. God the Son - The incarnation of God into our world and time, taking on physical form. And the Holy Spirit - The power of God working through people.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

It probably haunts non-Christians more.
"If Christianity was something we were making up, of course, we could make it easier. But it isn't. We can't compete, in simplicity, with people who are inventing religions. How could we? We're dealing with fact! Of course, anyone can be simple if he has no facts to bother about” (Beyond Personality: The Christian Idea of God, London: Geoffrey Bles, 1944, p.19).​

Silvertusk said:
Not really. God the Father, Outside of all time, living in the eternal. God the Son - The incarnation of God into our world and time, taking on physical form. And the Holy Spirit - The power of God working through people.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

What you are saying seems straight forward to me too. You are effectively saying that the same God manifests himself in 2 other different forms. right? But hardcore trinitarians won't even accept to bind Jesus to world and time. Most of them won't accept that the Holy Sprit is the power of the God either. For them it is "Three eternal and distinct persons & they form one Godhead".

everneo said:
What you are saying seems straight forward to me too. You are effectively saying is that the same God manifests himself in 2 other different forms. right? But hardcore trinitarians won't even accept to bind Jesus to world and time. Most of them won't accept that the Holy Sprit is the power of the God either. For them it is "Three eteranl and distinct persons & they form one Godhead".

That is what I am saying and Yes you are right.

I could well be wrong in my interpretation, but I don't think so. I think it even ties in with what John was saying at the beginning of the Gospel and the imaginery in the Relevations, at least my interpretation of it.

I do accept that when Jesus was alive on earth there were two seperate instances of "God" in existance - one in time and one outside of time. God the Father from his eternal point of view was seeing himself as a human in the timeline.

When Jesus was baptised by John, God the Father sent down his Holy Spirit (his power) into Jesus (as God here had limited himself to human form, he obviously needed a little help from when he wasn't limited)

Again this is just my interpretation of it , and obviously open to debate.

everneo said:
What you are say seems straight forward to me too. You are effectively saying is that the same God manifests himself in 2 other different forms. right? But hardcore trinitarians won't even accept to bind Jesus to world and time. Most of them won't accept that the Holy Sprit is the power of the God either. For them it is "Three eteranl and distinct persons & they form one Godhead".
Then I don't see how it is possible to be a "hardcore trinitarian" while reading the Bible. How could Jesus interact with his world, be nailed to a cross and be resurrected after three days, if he was not bound to "world and time"?
Col. 2:9-10
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

Phil. 2:6-8
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death –
even death on a cross!​
And though the Holy Spirit is not just the power of God, he does share and embody it. And it is the same power of God that raised Christ from the dead.
Isaiah 11:2
The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him - the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD ...

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.​

Jenyar said:
Then I don't see how it is possible to be a "hardcore trinitarian" while reading the Bible. How could Jesus interact with his world, be nailed to a cross and be resurrected after three days, if he was not bound to "world and time"?

Jesus was born and 'died' and resurrected after 3 days, so in between for 3 days (or 2?!) he was not eternal ?! eternal in the sense no beginning and no end as the third person of the eternal trinity.

Col. 2:9-10
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.

If all the "fullness of the Deity" lives in bodily form that is Christ then how distinct is Christ from God other than a mere 'form'. ?? All i could see is the manifestation of a single God in a different form, not 2 distinct persons that are said to be having no beginning and no end.

Phil. 2:6-8
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death –
even death on a cross!

Its an elaborate way of hiding a lesser manifestation.

And though the Holy Spirit is not just the power of God, he does share and embody it. And it is the same power of God that raised Christ from the dead.

If the Holy Spirit is the embodiment of power then :

1. either the Holy Spirit is just the power of God or
2. the Holy Spirit lends the embodied power to God

only one of the above makes sense. If it is (1) then the distinct personality apart from God is out. If it is (2) then just think about the plight and status of God..

Isaiah 11:2
The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him - the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD ...
I see a lot of "of God" that only support that The Holy Spirit is an aspect of God not a distinct personality other than God.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

That sounds good. Again i see the divine power of God in the form of the Holy spirit. Not a distinct personality. Looks like Jesus necessarily needed the Spirit of God to be back to eternity again.

[braggartry]

Just you wait till *I* get my own Bible and study it properly!
Just you wait. And then you'll see.

[/braggartry]

I am not as well versed with bible as Jenyar or You. But i could see thro the game of the Church.

everneo said:
Jesus was born and 'died' and resurrected after 3 days, so in between for 3 days (or 2?!) he was not eternal ?! eternal in the sense no beginning and no end as the third person of the eternal trinity.

Yes

God is eternal. But the human incarnation of God (Jesus) is not. Otherwise there was no way he could experience death and suffering. The death would be meaningless if he had divine power as a human. The incarnation was God limiting himself and Jesus's power was through the Holy Spirit given to him to by God the Father.

everneo said:
If the Holy Spirit is the embodiment of power then :

1. either the Holy Spirit is just the power of God or
2. the Holy Spirit lends the embodied power to God

only one of the above makes sense. If it is (1) then the distinct personality apart from God is out. If it is (2) then just think about the plight and status of God..

I would pick 1 myself. I would think that the Holy Spirit certainly has "presence" and may be seen as a seperate entity as being on the receiving end of such a great power might feel that way but IMO it is still just the power of God.

everneo said:
That sounds good. Again i see the divine power of God in the form of the Holy spirit. Not a distinct personality. Looks like Jesus necessarily needed the Spirit of God to be back to eternity again.

Yes. As he was human at the time. Luckily The Father God being Eternal was able to do this to himself.

Jenyar said:
It probably haunts non-Christians more.
"If Christianity was something we were making up, of course, we could make it easier. But it isn't. We can't compete, in simplicity, with people who are inventing religions. How could we? We're dealing with fact! Of course, anyone can be simple if he has no facts to bother about” (Beyond Personality: The Christian Idea of God, London: Geoffrey Bles, 1944, p.19).​

Geoffrey Bles speaking truth when he said "We can't compete". It should be "We can't afford to compete".

The main problem for the Church in accepting that Jesus is a manifested grace of God in human form is :

you could find many such forms all around the world : Krishna, Budhha, some Noble Gods of Greek, Norse & other pantheon. It is necessary to maintain Jesus as a distinct person with eternity as the Son God. To rule out 'competition' from other religions.

The Holy Spirit of God (being mentioned in OT, cannot be avoided altogether ) and the God were seperated as distinct personalities to lend support that Jesus too is a distinct one and the only one apart from God & Holy Spirit.

How to reconcile with 'Monotheism' with 3 such Gods ? Treat them as one. Living with such contradiction is 'lesser evil' than compromising with other religions and loosing the 'edge' for the Church as the sole representative institution of the God.

Everneo, you aren't talking about a Trinity - an identity who interrelates and interacts dynamically - anymore, but of three gods. By insisting that they must be independent ("separate and distinct") to the point of complete mutual exclusivity, you have left the realm of Christianity. That's not the idea we get from Jesus or the Bible. With the doctrine of the Trinity, we are simply trying to interpret the different ways we see God act and express himself, without imposing any new doctrine. We still affirm, with Jesus:
Mark 12:29-31 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: (1) ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. (2) Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ (3) The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”​
(Notice how two seemingly separate and distinct commandments - that even look like three statements - are to be interpreted as one "important" commandment: a whole.)

Last edited:
ellion said:
THE SELF IS THE TOTALITY OF THE EXPERIENCE. THAT WHICH IS WHAT IT IS AND THAT WHICH THINKS WHAT IT WANTS TO BE ARE THE SAME SELF IN DIFFERENT STATES.

Then the self is "influenced" by the (same!) self ...

IN THE FIRST SENTENCE HERE YOU SAY THAT EMOTIONS DO NOT HAVE IMPACT(INFLUENCE) ON OUR FREE WILL
BU THEY HAVE IMPACT ON OUR RATIONAL THINKING.

How do emotions impact our rational thinking?

HOW DO YOU SEE THEM IMPACTING ONE AND NOT THE OTHER. THIS SUGGESTS THAT ONE OF THESE THINGS IS A NOT AN INTEGRATED PART, THE EMOTIONS HAVE NO CONNECTION TO FREE WILL BUT DO HAVE CONNECTION TO COGNITION.

The connection fo emotions to cognition is that there are secondary emotions that emerge as reactions to certain cognitive states. These emotions don't impact our rational thinking; they are merely an indicator that our rational thinking was inconsistent and incoherent.

Do oyu think that free will has its seat in the rational thinking?

YOU THEN SAY THAT THIS IS NOT TRUE BUT REAFFIRM 1EMOTIONS DO NOT INFLUENCE OUR FREE WILL
2SECONDARY EMOTIONS ARE BORN OF INCONGRUENCE. THIS SUGGEST AGAIN THAT EMOTIONS (SECONDARY) ARE SOMEHOW DETACHED FROM ASPECTS OF THE SELF AND ARE A FUNTION OF COGNITIVE PROCESS.

I CAN SEE HOW (SECONDARY)EMOTION CAN BE BORN OF COGNITIVE PROCESS BUT TO SAY THAT THEY HAVE NO IMPACT ON FREE WILL IS TO DETACH THEM FROM THE WHOLE (A BLACK AND WHITE PAINTING).

No, this does not follow. I would agree with you if I would believe that the seat of free will is rational thinking. But I don't believe so.

A QUESTION DOES FEAR EFFECT FREE WILL?

You mean Affect?
No.

TO THE SAME EXTENT ANXIETY IS AN INTERNAL FEAR (A SECONDARY EMOTION IN YOUR TERMINOLOGY) BEING BORN OF COGNITIVE PROCESS, WOULD ANXIETY EFFECT FREE WILL?

No.

It seems to me that you think that your emotions are *not* an integrative part of your self. That your self exists somehow apart from your emotions. If you indeed think so, then explain what basis do you have for assuming that emotions are not just as part of your self as your rational thinking is.

I DONT, BUT I THINK YOU DO, AND YOU THINK I DO, SO THIS MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH HOW WE PROCESS INFORMATION DIFFERENTLY.

Indeed.

THIS IS QUITE CONFUSING FOR ME, HOW DOES BEING EFFECTED BY THESE EMOTIONS MAKE THEM NOT PART OF MYSELF. BEING EFFECTED BY EMOTION (HAPPINESS / SADNESS) MEANS THEY ARE SO MUCH A PART OF ME THAT THEY CAN AND DO HAVE A VERY REAL EFFECT ON THE WHOLE OF MYSELF, EMOTIONS ARE FELT THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE OF MY BEING EVEN IN FLESH AND BLOOD.

A part of the confusion probably stems from the classical understanding (that we are all conditioned into) that "we have emotions". That "having emotions" is somehow something one can either have or not, almost as if they were accessoires to our self.
It would probably be more true to reality to say "I anger" or "I love" or "I fear" instead of saying "I have anger", "I have love", "I have fear".

It is interesting (and probably indicative of certain psycho-sociological and ethical processess) that modern languages develop into expressing emotions as if they were objects, something that the self has or feels. Emotions are being expressed in nominal phrases -- the emotion given as a noun.

More archaic languages, on the other hand, express emotions with verbal phrases, the emotion is given as a verb or deadjectival verbal phrase.

In the idom of my native language, my English would sound thus: I anger (=I have anger, I am angry), I fear (=I have fear), I cheer (= I am cheerful), I joy (=I am joyous) ...

IN THE QUOTE ABOVE YOU AGAIN MOVED INTO A BLACK AND WHITE PAINTING, THE INCONGRUENCE CAN BE OVERCOME IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS AND IF THE WILL OF THE INDIVIDAUL IS FREE ENOUGH BUT NOT EVERYBODY HAS THE STRENGTH OF FREE WILL TO OVERCOME SSITUATIONS. TAKE FOR EXAMPLE SOMONE WHO SMOKES BUT HATES SMOKING, ALL FORMS OF ADDICTION, EATING DISODERS. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THESE INDIVIDUALS HAVE NO FREE WILL BUT THERE WILL IS NOT FREE ENOUGH(THATS SUCH AN AWKWARD EXPRESSION, SORRY) IN THAT PARTICULAR SITUATION

No.
I know how you think me thinking only in black and white. But hopefully we'll come so far as to see how my sharp cuts are useful.

The smoker who hates smoking has free will, but he certainly also has very messed up beliefs.
My mother is a smoker and she hates smoking. And as far as I can tell, she holds a bunch of very contradictory beliefs. The main problem with her is that she refuses to admit that she values immediate gratification over health.

NOT EVERYBODY HAS THE STRENGTH OF FREE WILL TO OVERCOME SSITUATIONS

This is yet another belief.

YOU HAVE RESPONDED IN A WAY WHICH IS UNIQUELY YOURS NOT ALL PEOPLE WILL HAVE THESE SAME VALUES / BELIEFS AS YOUR SELF. WITH THE EXAMPLE I WAS TRYING TO ILLUSTRATE HOW THE WILL CAN BE COME INFLUENCED IN GIVEN SITUATIONS BY EMOTIONAL STATES.

Am I special? Have I fallen form the moon? How come I hold such beliefs, and so consistently?

Surely, not everyone has the same beliefs like me -- and this only goes to show how it is the beliefs that guide our acting, and if our acting is inconsistent with our beliefs, this doesn't mean our free will is limited.

Examine a smoker who hates smoking. Detect his beliefs. You'll see that they are contradictory.

If we argue that free will is limited, we get ourselves into an infinite analysis of *how* this free will is limited, *when* it is limited and when not, *why* it is limited ...

NOT NECESSARILY(BLACK AND WHITE PAINTING)
IT IS LIMITED WHEN IT IS LIMITED, IT IS NOT LIMITED WHEN IT IS NOT LIMITED, THE REASON WHY IS DEPENDENT UPON THE SITUATION, ANALYSING IT IS AS INFINITE AS THE AMMOUNT OF SITUATIONS IN WHICH THE LIMITS ARE INPLACE

No no no. Do what you're suggesting, and you get lost in details.

What we are after is a definition, an explanation, a principle that is generally true, applicable, and resolves the posited problem.

Example: Martin has dyslexia. We could say that Martin has troubles reading and writing due to his freewill being limited by dyslexia. But Martin is also a top soccer player. If his free will is limited -- then how can he be a top soccer player? In order to be a top soccer player, it takes a lot of talent, effort, and especially discipline. But how is Martin to maintain that discipline if he supposedly has only limited free will? To keep up with the idea that Martin has limited free will, we would have to denigrate his soccer success!

NON SEQUITIR, THE ARGUMENT DOESNT FOLLOW.
A LIMITATION DOES NOT EQUAL COMPLETE NEGATION

I never said that a limitation equates a complete negation.

THE ARGUMENT FREE WILL IS LIMITED IS NOT LIKE THIS FOR ME. FOR ME IT IS ABOUT SEEING INDIVIDUALS AS PART OF AN INTERCONNECTED FIELD OF PHENOMENAL EXPERIENCES, THAT FIELD TOGETHER WITH THAT INDIVIDUAL GIVE RISE TO REACTIONS AND BEHAVIOURS THAT CAN NOT BE SEPERATED ONE FROM THE OTHER. IT MAY SEEM TO YOU THAT YOUR ARGUMENT OF FREE WILL IS MORE COMPREHENSIVE AND MORE FULLY UNDERSTANDING OF THE DESCISION MAKING FACULTY AND HAS A MORE POSITIVE ETHICAL ATTITUDE TOWARDS HUMANS, BUT TO ME IT IS JUST A DIFFERENT WAY OF BEING THAN MY OWN. IT IS ONLY RIGHT OR WRONG IN ITS EFFECTS ON THE SELF AND OTHER PEOPLE (WHICH IS MY ETHICAL STANCE FROM WITHIN MY PHENOMENAL FIELD)

It is only right or wrong in the effects it has on the self and other people -- exactly.

Now apply our different views on the same case:

Case: I studied for an exam, but I haven't made it through all the matter, as I was tired, and I also didn't have as much time as I wanted, as I had to take the cat to the vet. I ploughed the exam.

Your interpretation: I had limited free will, thus I ploughed the exam.
My interepretation: I had limited abilities and limited circumstances, thus I ploughed the exam.

My problem with your outlook is that if I ascribe my failing to my free will being limited, this will be extremely demotivational for me. How am I ever to overcome my failings, if I see the source of my failings in my free will being limited?
If the lesson for me here is that my free will is limited -- then how will this motivate me to overcome my failings? How am I to overcome my failings if I see my will to overcome them to be essentially limited?
Seeing my free will as being limited is paralyzing me!

cole grey said:
I believe water is asking for a definition of free-will that is consistent with the idea that humans (all of them) are endowed with it.

Yes!

This idea is consistent with a discussion of the christian God, not necessarily so when discussing hypothetical Gods (such as a God which contains all the universe as a thought in it's "mind", for example, but then again, even that God would be described by eastern religions as giving free-reign to the thoughts so they can amuse "God").

When discussing free-will with this type of definition, free-will can not be something one person has a lot of, while another person is mostly lacking it.

EXACTLY. I argue for free will as being something so native to all humans as the fact that they are humans -- "a universal quality of humanity".

I am trying to think of a definition that will fit southstar's idea that we don't have it (because we kind of don't), and water's idea that we have a lot of it (because we do). I am still trying...

Trying to reconcile biology and philosophy and ethics is ... hard, to say the least.

Jenyar said:
I've come across this in some Christians as well, who often come across as trying to intimidate you. But that supposes that all people are the same, and there is no room for being yourself.

No no no.
Sometimes, "being yourself" means "being ungodly, being away from God". And it is on this distinction that some people build ther concept of what it means to have an identity -- that the definition of identity is "I am what others aren't". While this is true per se, some of the possible inferences to it aren't: "I am myself as long as I am different from others" -- but different in what?! The hidden implication of this kind of concept of identity is "I can't exist if there are no others -- for I exist in opposition to them, I am what they aren't".

Now, when this comes to inter-human terms, it's clear what we're talking about: having your identity defined by others and depending on others -- be it by what they told you that you are, or be it by considering yourself (or making yourself) to be what they are not. But take away other people -- and what is left of such a person? Nothing.

Be it that the Other by whom you define yourself is God -- then we are in a completely different realm!

If we are true fans, we will at least whistle the tune!

Oh how we like to sing along! But the words are wrong.

ellion said:
Water,
Definitely Not. You Are One Of The Blessed,
I Am Guided In The Way Of Treating You As Such.

Me blessed? How come?

yuri_sakazaki said:
I wasn't asking about influence by beliefs limiting it or not. I was more asking where free will resides in a person (though it is still hard to verbalize). For example, is our free will a series of mental calculations deciding what is best or our soul trying to move toward our essence, or whatever other things it may be in. And if it is mental, would it not work just like a formula? If it is in our soul, what makes our essence what it is? And what could we do that we could be accountable for to change the formula or manipulate our essence? I'm sorry if that makes little sense.

Free will is postulated, axiomatized, ascribed. This is probably the greatest problem in the free will debate. How can we axiomatize it? But ethical principles are also axiomatized.

Free will isn't the same kind of ability as, for example, the talent for languages or the ability to see.
Free will can't be proven, neither can it be proven that free will is limited.

You can't prove that it is wrong to kill, just as you can't prove that all humans must be treated with respect. Like the principles "it is wrong to kill" and "all humans must be treated with respect", also free will is a concept of ethics and socio-psychology; free will isn't something that could be meaningfully conceptualized biologically.
We can come up with a biological explanation -- but it will explain only some biological aspects of free will, but not the whole of free will.

Free will is a concept that is in the realm of how we conceptualize our identity, our successes and failings, and our responsibility.

(As I am going on about it all along ... :) )

everneo said:
In fact, i am judging the will by the actions that cannot be performed upon the will.

I think you are arguing from the position of an egocentric child.

Please don't be offended, I have nothing against you. But sometimes, even in "high culture" and "high science" people argue that *humanity* is at the level of a 3-year old child. Such a child sees no connection between him dropping a glass, and the glass breaking.

In such case we don't call it a will, but dream/fantasy. But you can try and fail thats also your freewill.

I can imagine how you get to this ...

"If a human is to have free will, then the world would have to be as the human imagines is to be.
If the world isn't so, then
a) the human has no free will (and maybe only a limited free will)
or
b) the humans fantasizing to have free will."

Jenyar said:
Isn't "will" just the ability to express ourselves - thoughts, desires, impulses - in some way? In that sense, what is the difference between will and "free" will to a determinist?

As far as I can understand determinists, free will would exist if under necessary conditions C phenomenon P could either happen or not.

Now you go fight this dragon, I'm a bit tired.

Silvertusk said:
Agreed. I don't see any problem with that. This is also why I do not have a problem with Jesus effectively praying to himself in the Garden of Gethsename. God, Outside the timeline was seeing himself inside the timeline praying to effectively a different person, but the same.

GOD IS OMNIMAX.

His identity isn't limited in time and space as (we think) ours is.

For some reason, I never had any problems with the Trinity concept.

everneo said:
This "effectively 3 different persons but same God" logic is going to haunt christians for ever.

Only if they think God is not omnimax.

everneo said:
I am not as well versed with bible as Jenyar or You. But i could see thro the game of the Church.

If you accept that God is omnimax, then I don't see why there should be any problems with the Trinity.

the self is infleunced and influences with infinite possibilities. so, yes!

water said:
ellion said:
IN THE FIRST SENTENCE HERE YOU SAY THAT EMOTIONS DO NOT HAVE IMPACT(INFLUENCE) ON OUR FREE WILL
BU THEY HAVE IMPACT ON OUR RATIONAL THINKING.

good question?
water said:
We don't exist apart from our emotions, neither do they "have an impact on our free will". What they have "impact" on is rational thinking -- but this "impact" is possible only when a person's rational thinking is inconsistent and incoherent
but then you go on to say!
The connection fo emotions to cognition is that there are secondary emotions that emerge as reactions to certain cognitive states. These emotions don't impact our rational thinking; they are merely an indicator that our rational thinking was inconsistent and incoherent
can i offer an explanation as to why your thinking is inconsistent. this is what i have been saying all along you cant work with absolutes saying there is one rule that is applicable in all situations. i would have to say view the situation and the individual in the situation as a dynamic interaction of energetic principles. but there are times when you dont have to view it this way either and that will depend on the principles in question also? so the only rule is there is no rule. thats extremely thelemic but it is consistent.

Do you think that free will has its seat in the rational thinking?
no!

water said:
ellion said:
YOU THEN SAY THAT THIS IS NOT TRUE BUT REAFFIRM 1EMOTIONS DO NOT INFLUENCE OUR FREE WILL
2SECONDARY EMOTIONS ARE BORN OF INCONGRUENCE. THIS SUGGEST AGAIN THAT EMOTIONS (SECONDARY) ARE SOMEHOW DETACHED FROM ASPECTS OF THE SELF AND ARE A FUNTION OF COGNITIVE PROCESS.

I CAN SEE HOW (SECONDARY)EMOTION CAN BE BORN OF COGNITIVE PROCESS BUT TO SAY THAT THEY HAVE NO IMPACT ON FREE WILL IS TO DETACH THEM FROM THE WHOLE (A BLACK AND WHITE PAINTING).

No, this does not follow. I would agree with you if I would believe that the seat of free will is rational thinking. But I don't believe so.

i'm not sure what you say 'no' to, or what does not follow. can you tell me more about
what you understand of my statement here and how you replied to it? please!

i did mean affect yes.

THIS IS QUITE CONFUSING FOR ME, HOW DOES BEING EFFECTED BY THESE EMOTIONS MAKE THEM NOT PART OF MYSELF. BEING EFFECTED BY EMOTION (HAPPINESS / SADNESS) MEANS THEY ARE SO MUCH A PART OF ME THAT THEY CAN AND DO HAVE A VERY REAL EFFECT ON THE WHOLE OF MYSELF, EMOTIONS ARE FELT THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE OF MY BEING EVEN IN FLESH AND BLOOD.

A part of the confusion probably stems from the classical understanding (that we are all conditioned into) that "we have emotions". That "having emotions" is somehow something one can either have or not, almost as if they were accessoires to our self.
nope thats not what was confusing.
what was confusing was how you could say that me being effected by my emotions meant they where not part of myself.
Do you really believe that your emotions are not part of your self?

but that is what you are saying, you are saying we cant have free will (negation) if we have limited free will(limitation).

water said:
Now apply our different views on the same case:

Case: I studied for an exam, but I haven't made it through all the matter, as I was tired, and I also didn't have as much time as I wanted, as I had to take the cat to the vet. I ploughed the exam.

Your interpretation: I had limited free will, thus I ploughed the exam.
My interepretation: I had limited abilities and limited circumstances, thus I ploughed the exam.
sorry but thats not my interpretation thats your interpretation of my interpretation.
and i too would see the latter as being the more correct in this instance.

i dont think you understand my outlook to be honest, though i would like you too and i am trying to help you understand how i see it.
this question may help you see things how i see them.
exactly where is your will limited and where is it unlimited?

i think i am kind of where cole is with this when he says
water said:
cole grey said:
southstar's idea that we don't have it (because we kind of don't), and water's idea that we have a lot of it (because we do). I am still trying...

free will is something that we do have in some situations but we dont have in others.

water said:
Me blessed? How come?
all i can say is your highly thought of.

First of all, I defy all relativism, I defy it on principle.

This doesn't mean I am ignoring circumstances, the context -- I am working out such an understanding of the circumstances that a person's identity is not affected by those circumstances. Unless this circumstance is God.

I say a person should not let himself be defined by circumstances; a person should have an identity that exists regardless of the circumstances; except when this circumstance is God.

I make my theories such that I postulate that there is something in each person that remains, no matter what happens to this person. Meaning I posit a "force", an "energy" (for the lack of a better word so far), an ability that is there no matter what (except when meeting God).

Why do I do this? Because if we speak about "a person" doing something, we must postulate that this person exists, and what is essential to this person.
Otherwise, without this postulate, we get to the notion that "there is no us, no you". And the whole discussion becomes meaningless.

ellion said:

the self is infleunced and influences with infinite possibilities. so, yes!

But can this self exist without these possibilities? Are there some possibilities that are necessary?

good question?

Well, how do emotions impact our rational thinking, I ask?

Is it the classical "When you're upset, you can't think"? or "When you're in love, you can't think"?

I disagree. When you're in love, your priorities are different, and you act and think in accordance with these priorities. This doesn't mean you can't think rationally. 2 + 2 is still 4.

If by "you can't think" is actually meant 'you don't behave the way you normally do' -- then we aren't talking about emotions influencing our rational thinking anyway. Then we're talking about the agenda one has for oneself -- and such agendas are just that: agendas, not reality.

We don't exist apart from our emotions, neither do they "have an impact on our free will". What they have "impact" on is rational thinking -- but this "impact" is possible only when a person's rational thinking is inconsistent and incoherent

but then you go on to say!

The connection fo emotions to cognition is that there are secondary emotions that emerge as reactions to certain cognitive states. These emotions don't impact our rational thinking; they are merely an indicator that our rational thinking was inconsistent and incoherent

With secondary emotions, the situation looks thus:

1. A cognitive dissonance (inconcistency, incoherence, incongruence) is discovered.

2. This triggers an emotional response.
Depending on other beliefs that this person holds, the repsonse is either A: defensive (anger, frustration; belief: "It is bad to find that you are wrong. It is wrong to be wrong. You must never show you're wrong."), or B: positive/affirmative (mild frustration; belief: "There's nothing wrong with being wrong. One should work out inconsistencies."). (Technically, it should also be posible to be completely indifferent upon finding an inconsistency, but I think only the mentally ill are so.)

3. The emotional response then sets the tone of thinking: whether the thinking will go A: in the direction of defense (anger continues), or B: in the direction of resolving the inconsistency.

In case A, the thinking indeed seems to be influenced by the negative emotions -- but I think it is in fact the belief that is negative, the negative emotions just accompany it.

But.
Often, popularily, we get to see this scheme of how emotions influence our thinking:

1. You talk. You hear something you don't want to hear.
2. You get angry.
3. You can't think rationally anymore.

While this may be true for many people, it is way to inexact to give a reliable picture of what happens when we are "influenced by emotions" (note the quotation marks!).

can i offer an explanation as to why your thinking is inconsistent.

this is what i have been saying all along you cant work with absolutes saying there is one rule that is applicable in all situations.

But this is exactly what I am after! A rule that is applicable to all situations.

i would have to say view the situation and the individual in the situation as a dynamic interaction of energetic principles. but there are times when you dont have to view it this way either and that will depend on the principles in question also?

My insisting on that one always applicable rule does not mean I ignore the circumstances.
I want to conceptualize a person's identity and their will in a manner that they remain intact regardless of circumstances. (Aside from God, as stated above.)

so the only rule is there is no rule.

No. If the only rule is that there is no rule, then this is still a rule -- and a dreadfully relativistic one at that. A self-negating rule.

Do you think that free will has its seat in the rational thinking?

no!

Good then. This answers a lot of my questions.

i'm not sure what you say 'no' to, or what does not follow. can you tell me more about
what you understand of my statement here and how you replied to it? please!

Of course!

It first seemed to me that you deem rational thinking to be the seat of free will.
And if emotions can impact rational thinking, then they can also impact free will.

Now that we cleared up that rational thinking is not the seat of free will, and that emotions are an integrative part of the self, the picture is different.

Free will per se can do nothing; free will per se is nothing unless it has some content to be applied on.

This content can be rational, ethical, emotional.

It is not that emotions would impact free will.
Emotions are a content on which free will is applied. (Granted, in Western culture, we are not used to know ourselves this way, this is why emotions seem so foreign to us, something that "takes away our raitonality.)
Just as rational thoughts are a content on which free will is applied.

This application happens in accordance with the beliefs a person holds.

So, technically, we could say that the concept of free will is redundant -- for it is the beliefs themselves that arrange and re-arrange themselves, and that this is all there is to it.
But.
Each of us does feel like a someone, being an I -- and this is the instance in which those arrangings and re-arrangings of beliefs take place.
We are observing ourselves, and at the same time we are the agents of and in ourselves. We can call this observation-of-self and being-an-agent-of-and-in-oneself "free will". It is will because it does something, and it is free as it is not bound by any other instance of the same kind (within the same system).

i did mean affect yes.

nope thats not what was confusing.

what was confusing was how you could say that me being effected by my emotions meant they where not part of myself.

I apologize. That misunderstanding came from the unclarity about where the seat of free will is.

I still find it odd to consider myself affected by my emotions. I could think myself affected by my emotions if they were something part from me.

But I don't think that way. I *am* my emotions. I am *being* my emotions. They don't "happen to me".

It's probably a methodological problem of explanation in general. I don't consider my emotions to be "part" of me -- but there seems to be no other way to say it (for now).

That emotions are a "part" of me is an analytical statement that can be misleading. Define yourself as being made up of parts, and a hierarchy emerges. Rational thinking is good, sexual drives are not so good etc. It is this hierarchy that is dangerous; as it is not absolute.

Popularily, it goes: "Emotions negatively affect our rational abilities". Let's look into this a bit: In deep sadness or in great cheer, one most likely indeed does worse on an IQ test. And as we in the West are used to think, anythnig that diminishes our intellectual abilities is bad, thus emotions are bad. (Just enforcing the hierarchy!) Along with it comes the idea that rational is what one wants to be, and that rational thinking is the seat of our free will. And emotions, those monsters, work against our free will, hindering it.

When you say that emotions impact our free will I now see you meant something else than what I've said above right now.

However, as I have observed, that negativistic outlook on emotions ("Emotions hinder our free will" -- note: *hinder*, not *impact*), is quite common.

I apologize it took quite a while to work this out.

but that is what you are saying, you are saying we cant have free will (negation) if we have limited free will(limitation).

I don't understand my words this way, but now that you've brought it up:
A limitation does not equate a complete negation. This, however, does not go for all concepts. Some concepts are all-or-nothing. One either has a name, or one hasn't got a name. One either has free will, or one doesn't have free will.

sorry but thats not my interpretation thats your interpretation of my interpretation.

I'm glad that we disagree on this one then. It just cleared up my understanding of your outlook some more.

and i too would see the latter as being the more correct in this instance.

Present an example where such an interpretation as I suggested doesn't apply.

i dont think you understand my outlook to be honest, though i would like you too and i am trying to help you understand how i see it.

Things take time and effort. :)

this question may help you see things how i see them.
exactly where is your will limited and where is it unlimited?

It's limited nowhere. It is free as long as I am myself.

free will is something that we do have in some situations but we dont have in others.

Please give examples of both!

all i can say is your highly thought of.

Thank you!

water said:
everneo said:
In fact, i am judging the will by the actions that cannot be performed upon the will.

I think you are arguing from the position of an egocentric child.

Please don't be offended, I have nothing against you. But sometimes, even in "high culture" and "high science" people argue that *humanity* is at the level of a 3-year old child. Such a child sees no connection between him dropping a glass, and the glass breaking.

You cannot recognize the level of intellectual maturity until you figure out the difference between freewill and fantasy.

I can imagine how you get to this ...

"If a human is to have free will, then the world would have to be as the human imagines is to be.
If the world isn't so, then
a) the human has no free will (and maybe only a limited free will)
or
b) the humans fantasizing to have free will."

You are yet to figure out the difference between 'fantasy', 'freewill'.

It is not about fantasizing to have free will. It is about mistaking fantasy for freewill.

If you accept that God is omnimax, then I don't see why there should be any problems with the Trinity.
Which one is the Omnimax God out of 3 different eternal persons?
Before that, don't forget to tell me what exactly is 'Trinity' & 'Omnimax God' as per your understanding.

Everneo,

You still think that to have free will would mean you can move mountains if you so wish. If you can't move mountains, then you don't have free will. So per you.

You completely disregard the distinction worked out so far that what is inded limited are our abilities and our knowledge, but this doesn't automatically mean that our free will is limited.

According to you, a person who has had both legs broken, could never learn to walk again (as their ability to walk has, at least temporarily, been lost; and no ability is no will, per you) -- and if they do learn to walk again, it is due to fantasy, not due to free will.

Since will and action performed upon this will are one and the same to you -- I won't argue with you.

As for the Trinity and which one is the "Omnimax God out of 3 different eternal persons": God is OMNIPOTENT. Thus, He can both die on the cross, and be the Father in Heaven. What is so hard to understand about an omnimax (omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient) entity? The concept of omnimax defies our logic, sure. But if we talk about Christianity, we have to keep to its discourse, and make our inferences such that they are in accordance with its axioms. So, yes, God can both die on the cross, and be the Father in Heaven. Unless you first accept this, any further discussion is impossible.

water said:
You still think that to have free will would mean you can move mountains if you so wish. If you can't move mountains, then you don't have free will. So per you.
So per you. If i can't move mountains but wish that, then it is not called 'free will' ; it is called 'fantasy'.

You completely disregard the distinction worked out so far that what is inded limited are our abilities and our knowledge, but this doesn't automatically mean that our free will is limited.

You better try to distinguish between 'freewill' and 'fantasy'. what you call 'freewill' (that is disconnected from our abilities) has another appropriate name - 'fantasy'.

According to you, a person who has had both legs broken, could never learn to walk again (as their ability to walk has, at least temporarily, been lost; and no ability is no will, per you) -- and if they do learn to walk again, it is due to fantasy, not due to free will.

He 'can' aquire the ability to walk; it is very much possible, so where is the question of 'fantasy' that goes beyond one's ability ?

As for the Trinity and which one is the "Omnimax God out of 3 different eternal persons": God is OMNIPOTENT. Thus, He can both die on the cross, and be the Father in Heaven. What is so hard to understand about an omnimax (omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient) entity?

'3 different persons that are eternal (but one can die but still eternal only after resurrection, ahh !) forming 1 Godhead' is nowhere near the description of a God, omnimax. If you don't mind, add one more person (fourth) with entirely human nature - yourself, and declare that it is possible for omnimax God to be you too. Let us see the response from christians.

The concept of omnimax defies our logic, sure. But if we talk about Christianity, we have to keep to its discourse, and make our inferences such that they are in accordance with its axioms.

Trinity was introduced at the cost of the very axiom of 'a single & only God' (that is omnipotent & omniscient - i think omnipresence is not acceptable to Christians - 'God is in Paradise'). "Making inferences such that they are in accordance with its axioms" is for you or the theologists who have the sub-axiom that trinity means 3 different eternal persons forming one Godhead.

I have no problem with trinity if it indicates all the three are different 'forms' of one God. Not 3 different eternal persons forming 1 Godhead.

So, yes, God can both die on the cross, and be the Father in Heaven. Unless you first accept this, any further discussion is impossible.

That is what you hear in seminaries. No way in this forum.

Last edited:
So, yes, God can both die on the cross, and be the Father in Heaven. Unless you first accept this, any further discussion is impossible.

Remove the temporarily dead God from the scene, 2 out of 3 persons (eternal, ofcourse) forming 1 godhead goes out of the socalled 'Christian realm of trinity'. What you are supporting by your statement ?

everneo said:
So per you. If i can't move mountains but wish that, then it is not called 'free will' ; it is called 'fantasy'.

In that case, you seem to be equating "free will" with "reasonability" or "common sense".

"What is possible, this is what you can will. If you will something that is not possible, then you are fatasizing."

This is how you think?

Back