Freaky shiznit..

No it doesn't.
And sure, if you like.

Or you could just read this:

http://www.jamiat.org.za/kids/suras/surah_al_kafiroon.html

And show me where it says any way is wrong or right.

"Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them): thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are ye commanded): but if it had been God's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of God,- He will never let their deeds be lost. (47:4)"

"Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them): thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens. Thus (are ye commanded): but if it had been God's Will, He could certainly have exacted retribution from them (Himself); but (He lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the Way of God,- He will never let their deeds be lost. (47:4)"

You're picking out one line from a sura, which has nothing to do with the nature of belief. Plus, what is the context of disbelief in 47? Are we talking about ALL or a specific group? Is it a general or specific verse? What kind of unbelief?

I gave you an entire sura which is exclusively devoted only to that topic.

It depends on how you define truth.

BINGO!

e.g. a scientist and a theologian could both search for the meaning of the universe in different ways. What it ultimately means to either (or in some cases, both or neither) depends entirely on what they choose to seek.

The scientist seeks to know how nature works, the theologian seeks immortality.

BINGO!

The scientist seeks to know how nature works, the theologian seeks immortality.

Not necessarily. The scientist may just be interested in personal acclaim while the theologian seeks the nature of creation.

Yes, you did provide me with the appropriate propaganda, as predicted.

Like I said, the nature of truth is ultimately defined by what you choose to seek, regardless of whether it is science or religion.

Kenny,
Let me make an analogy: If I gave a group of people with 5th grade educations "The Origin of Species" and then had those people explain evolution, it would be totally incomprehensible nonsense that had very little to do with the the actual theory of evolution, these people would probably argue alot with each other about what the theory of evolution is. On the other hand if you give have people highly educated explain the theory of evolution it will make alot of sense and they will disagree with each other very little, and they will disagree with each other not at all on the big points. Its exactly the same with religion, people who dont understand as evidenced by their inability to follow even the most basic principles (such as don't kill, be humble) will argue with other people alot and have all kinds of misconceptions. So, why is it that fundamentalist atheists are constantly holding up the people with the least understanding as proof that all religion is wrong?

Like I said, the nature of truth is ultimately defined by what you choose to seek, regardless of whether it is science or religion.

The 'truth' sought by theists is subjective and springs from the imaginative. The delusion.

grover: Nice try, but your analogy fails on one small point

Evolution is true... Religion is false.. so ner ner.

As Q just said, you don't get truth from delusion.

Snake,

I would so totally dig a church that served beer. We (my little family) go to church a few times a year, mostly on the holidays. It's ok for an hour or so. The preacher that married us doesn't preach every week, and so sometimes we get the other guy, and he's just awful. When that happens we usually don't go back for a while.

But anyway, when Nathan (the one that married us) is preaching, you can really get with what he's saying, because he has such a commanding presence. I don't totally believe in a lot of what he talks about, but it doesn't really matter, as long as you take something positive out of the message, right? Well, at least that's what I tell myself.

I look at it more like a pep-talk from a coach, rather than being told what to believe. That's probably why I don't really fit in with religious people. The moment you say anything that remotely deviates from the company line, they look at you like you just dropped a deuce in the wastebasket or something.

I love where I live, but sadly, we're right smack dab in the buckle of the bible-belt of the U.S., so I just can't see them offering beer anytime soon, and that makes me sad. I love beer almost as much as I love my child, and I spend most of my day on Sunday loving my beer. If I could go to church that evening half in the bag, and nobody would care because they were also six sheets to the wind, I think it would help me not be so bummed about having to get back to work on Monday. Shit, I might even drink less that way. Either way, I could get some religion and food and beer in one stop, and I would totally be into that.

There are things I miss about going to church. I had a few friends then, and it was cool to catch up for a few minutes each week. It sort of took me out of the whole shut-in mentality that I've come to adopt.

Anywho, I think it's great that you go, and you're not afraid to expose yourself to people who believe, and even put it out there that you don't. That sort of thing probably wouldn't be tolerated around here. Despite that show by the guy who did the McDonald's thing, (yes, I know, he did show an atheist living with some evangelicals for a bit), I just really don't think most churches in the South would put up with it, and that's unfortunate.

What demonination is this church you attend anyway?

This indicates your lack of philosophical training.

No, it doesn't. Your statement indicates you have no refutation and are tossing it back to me. You know nothing of my philosophical training.

No, it doesn't. Your statement indicates you have no refutation and are tossing it back to me. You know nothing of my philosophical training.

I have plenty of refutations, but from past experience I know they are wasted on you.

Philosophy, definitely. You have no idea about the nature of reality, let alone the nature of theism or spirituality.

You cannot even tell the difference between observation and inference.

I have plenty of refutations, but from past experience I know they are wasted on you.

Propaganda doesn't count.

Philosophy, definitely. You have no idea about the nature of reality, let alone the nature of theism or spirituality.

From a theist's point of view, who believes their god split the moon in half, you're one to talk about reality.

You cannot even tell the difference between observation and inference.

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

Propaganda doesn't count.

From a theist's point of view, who believes their god split the moon in half, you're one to talk about reality.

Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

You can't even differentiate between philosophy and propaganda apparently.:D

Sure I can, I've called you on it many times, as have other members.

You're the Q of P. :p

I consider it a compliment, since the ones who shout the loudest usually have the least to say.;)

M*W: Serving beer in a church? Is that a religious thingy? I could become religious real quick!

Back