For the atheists

A near death experience can cause the pineal gland to produce DMT, a potent hallucinogen. The visions it stimulates do not appear to be illusory.

Yes, that, along with hearing it preached...
Oh my mistake, I didn't know in addition to actually reading it you actually heard it too. That means it must be true.

If people were good, Christ would not have had to perfectly live out God's Law (and then die for all of humanity's infractions of it) in the first place.
So God killed his son because people were misbehaving. Is that something like when a drunk abusive father gets druink and kills the kids new kitten because they are misbehaving?

The fact is, no one is "good" as God's standard/requirement is perfection not a relative aproximation of what you think passes for "good"..again, Christ is the only One who has satisfied all God's demands perfectly. Having done this, God now offers humanity a pardon and way of escaping an otherwise unavoidable condemnation. He certainly did not have to do anything as he could have left us with no escape, but, because of His love for us He did what He did.
And you know this how?

Why is that so hard to accept?
Because you don't give any reasons.

Simply be honest with yourself, that's what it boils down to
I am being honest with myself. And I honestly think what you're saying makes zero sense.
...then, as a result of your honesty with God, the way is opened for you to receive salvation.
What are you basing this assertion on?
Of course, denial is humanity's stock in trade.
You got that right. Although, I doubt you see the irony in your comment.

It appears that Dawkins is not speaking of any movement or power in particular, and is basing his entire premise on that fact that he personally cannot see God, therefore he must be the product of pure imagination (as there can be no other premise).
This is nothing more than a belief that God does not exist, which is beamed on primetime TV, completely unchallenged.
No, even if Dawkins were to percieve a God, it is still not necessarily true, and he might not believe it. The human mind is volnerable to hallucinations, dreams, mass delusion, optical and auditory illusions, and other forms of incomplete and inaccurate perception.

Dawkins also readily admits that a god like being is a possibility...but until such time as an answer either way is achieved, the logical position is one of neutrality.

That's not his position. One can come to some conclusions about the probability of certain myths. There is the psychological phenomenon of superstition caused by selective attention. There is the creative and explanatory power of myth, however false. There's the entertainment value of stories, and the power of stories to continue cultural values into the next generation. All these contribute to the well-supported notion that religious mythology is artificial.

One of the things that I find so interesting about NDEs is that no one has had one and said that they thought it was all just a hallucination. This includes sceptics that have had them. I've read numerous case by hardened cynical sceptics that find the experience convincing, and no such cases where afterward they said "it's all bullshit." In other words, if you as a sceptic had one you would find it convincing as well.

Well as someone that has had a NDE (as defined by Greyson's NDE scale)I can say that I am skeptical in regards to NDE being defined as a religious experience or confirmation of an after life. I am a better person because I appreciate the fact that so many people worked so hard to save my life and that I am happy not to be dead, pretty simple to understand. I did not find it convincing enough to make me believe in an after life or make me more religious actually it was a defining moment that allowed me to remove thoughts of an after life firmly from my life, which I might add makes living much easier and better in my opinion.

Here is an interesting study published in Neurology, April 11, 2006; 66:1003-1009.

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/66/7/1003

"Suppression of an activated locus ceruleus could be central to an arousal system predisposed to REM intrusion and NDE."

grover,

Sure I would. I would like to see what evidence people have for these beliefs besides saying "I know its true because my magic book says its true."

There are sites with evidences for existence of God, abound on the internet, which gives reasons outside of scripture (i assume by magic book you mean scripture), why don't you give it a whirl?

And you know this happened because you have a magic book that says its true. And all I have to do is read this magic book and believe it and then I will know the truth too?

What I know doesn't enter in to it, it is a matter of belief.
You believe God does not exist based on the one and only fact that you cannot see God.

No the point is that even little children can recognize these stories for what they are: fantastical stories that could never literally happen.

No they can't, they have to be told that they are.

Jan, I'm sorry to break it to to you but people can't live in whale stomachs.

I know that from my perspective, but I don't believe my perspective is all there is.

20% of Americans including the president don't think the big one should be stopped. They think it is anecessary prerequsite for the second coming when Jesus will fly down from the sky and save the day. You people are dangerous.

Can you quit with the accusations, there's a good fellow. :rolleyes:
So what if people think it is a necessary prerequisite, how is that thought dangerous, especially as such a war seems to be looming, with or without religion?

What are you talking about? I'm just repeating what people openly say they think.

No you're not. You're saying that people base their belief in God because it says so in the scripture, not for any other reason. I would like you to simply back up your statement.

You must believe that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God and the only way to get into Heave. Ask any Christian. If you are a good person and don't believe this - sorry, you burn for all Eternity.

Scriptoral injunctions please.

I'm saying I can provide rational arguments for what I believe, my line of thinking is subject to criticism precisley because it is not an appeal to faith(i.e., maing the claim "What I say is true because I have a magic book wih all truth.") The differnece is how one comes to their conclusions.

The only rational argument you can provide for your belief that God does not exist, is I cannot see him with my own eyes therefore he does not exist.
But you are irrational in that you use this as a reason to believe that God does not exist.

"Forced over-rationalisation." Oh, is that the phrase they use in your cult instead of just calling it "thought."

Because it isn't just "thought", it is a delusion.

No, I'm just saying you are defending the "thought" process that allowed them to commit it

Then based on your simple logic, you are defending the same act without the thought process.

No you didn't.

Jan.

There are sites with evidences for existence of God, abound on the internet, which gives reasons outside of scripture
is there really, amazing. Funny how nobody has ever seen any evidence, though.

if you have evidences for proof of god/gods we would all be interested in seeing them and I mean we as in the whole darn planet.

I and randi would give you a millions dollars each if you can prove god. http://www.randi.org/research/index.htm so put your money where your mouth is, thank you kindly.

There are sites with evidences for existence of God, abound on the internet, which gives reasons outside of scripture (i assume by magic book you mean scripture), why don't you give it a whirl?
No.
What I know doesn't enter in to it, it is a matter of belief.
You believe God does not exist based on the one and only fact that you cannot see God.
Matter of belief. So this means that by believing in it it's true? Thats called magical thinking.

No they can't, they have to be told that they are.
No, actually children have to be taught they are "true." A child that has not been forcibly indoctrinated will recognise them for what they are: make-believe.

I know that from my perspective, but I don't believe my perspective is all there is.
So from youe perspective living in a whale's stomach is impossible but there might be some other perspective where this is literally possible?

Can you quit with the accusations, there's a good fellow. :rolleyes:
No, I can't. I think people that hold literal beliefs pertaining to scripture are dangerously out of touch with reality and I'm done keeping my mouth shut about it. If you believe something crazy, you should be called on it. You anly have a right to deny reality as long as your delusion doens't impinge on me.

So what if people think it is a necessary prerequisite,
How can you be that dense? They think World War III is a good thing. They're fucking nuts.
how is that thought dangerous,
Do you really not get it? If so you are being deliberately dense.
especially as such a war seems to be looming, with or without religion?
The point is that peoples "religous beliefs" are making a rational avoidance much less likely. I can imagine reasoning with an enemy, I can't imagine reasoning with someone that thinks World War III is a good thing, a thing that needs to happen so that their superhero can come and save the day. It's disgusting.

The only rational argument you can provide for your belief that God does not exist,
You are really desne. I have argued in numerous threads that God is believable. What I am arguing is that fundamentalists actually have very bad reasons for believing the things they do. This total abandonment of rationality has led them to believe totally unbelievable things with absolute certainty. They have a form of socially sanctioned insanity and its time for the light of reason to shine on this insanity. Don't worry though, any God that actually exists can also be rationally defined. By no means do I think we will be living in a meaningless void once these insane notions are done away with anymore than you find living without Zeus makes the univrse meaningless.

But you are irrational in that you use this as a reason to believe that God does not exist.
I do believe in God. I just don't think it is a person. I don't think hes a person thats going to fly down form the sky to save the day once the precondition of Apocalypse has been met.

Then based on your simple logic, you are defending the same act without the thought process.
No Jan, their "thought" process allowed them to commit an atrocity. You are defending their "thought" process not me. I am saying if a crazy person moves in next door to me and has a Superior Being that they take orders from and that Superior Being is ordering them to kill I'm not going to act all surprised when that person does kill - because they've been telling me all along. I'm also not going to make excuses for that person and say "well, he did have a magic book." No, I'm going to call a spade a spade - he's crazy and dangerous. And people that defend him are crazy and dangerous.

That's not his position. One can come to some conclusions about the probability of certain myths. There is the psychological phenomenon of superstition caused by selective attention. There is the creative and explanatory power of myth, however false. There's the entertainment value of stories, and the power of stories to continue cultural values into the next generation. All these contribute to the well-supported notion that religious mythology is artificial.

Correct. He didn't say he believes Christianity's god or Islam's god could exist - matter of fact he does bring up mythological connections in christianity. He says that the possibility (remote as it might be) exists that some sort of god-like being might be around, and he's not in possession of all the knowledge in the universe to say definitively whether any such being exists...

Last edited:
Yes, that, along with hearing it preached...

This is classic. I'm sure I'd be more inclined to belief if I hear the same words (that I can read myself) regurgitated...

If people were good, Christ would not have had to perfectly live out God's Law (and then die for all of humanity's infractions of it) in the first place.

The problem here is that you blindly accept this as history rather than a story.

The fact is, no one is "good" as God's standard/requirement is perfection not a relative aproximation of what you think passes for "good"

How generous!

..again, Christ is the only One who has satisfied all God's demands perfectly.

Convenient. So if your god had the ability to create one human perfectly (as defined by himself), why not 6.6 billion of us?

Having done this, God now offers humanity...

As created by him (according to christianity)...

a pardon and way of escaping an otherwise unavoidable condemnation.

...that he created himself, to put a fallen angel to rule. A condemnation (for sins) that he decreed himself.

He certainly did not have to do anything as he could have left us with no escape, but, because of His love for us He did what He did.

Worship or burn. Lovely.

Why is that so hard to accept? Simply be honest with yourself, that's what it boils down to...then, as a result of your honesty with God, the way is opened for you to receive salvation.

Of course, denial is humanity's stock in trade.

Sigh...Jan do you see what we mean yet?

Last edited:
A near death experience can cause the pineal gland to produce DMT, a potent hallucinogen. The visions it stimulates do not appear to be illusory.

There you go then. A plausible explanation. Not necessarily evidence for a soul :cool:

Enterprise-D,

Nope, he's basing the premise that not only can he not perceive any god (personally), no one else can...and no claimants, not ONE, can provide any evidence or any method of repeating the sighting.

And how does he know this?
Is it possible that God is beyond the scope of scientifiic analysis, and can ony be percieved via developed human consciousness?
If it is possible, why demand ONLY scientific evidence as proof?

Therefore it is LIKELY, Dawkins says, that god is a product of imagination.

So what? That is his opinion, for which he has nothing but the simple logic that if he cannot see God, then God does not exist. Do you think that is sufficient to stop all belief in God?

Dawkins also readily admits that a god like being is a possibility...but until such time as an answer either way is achieved, the logical position is one of neutrality.

set up a strawman God

prove that he cannot exist because he cannot seen with the eyes

then say lets sit and wait until we can see him

Hmmm....tricky.

That is your opinion. The interviews always have the newscaster/interviewer challenging Dawkins with the favourite theist tactics and questions. I call that a challenge. And Dawkins readily bats 1000, or rather hits sixes (cricket :) ) on all the questions.

Yeah if the questions are known in advance, but straight of the bat, with someone with an incling of intelligence, he's all over the place. The reason being, he doesn't know what he is
talking about, outside of i cannot see God with my own eyes therefore God doesn't exist.
He gets caned everytime. :D

Not at all Jan. All human abilities are the right of every human. My PROBLEM Jan is allowing religion to have the power and awe that it currently contains.

It has no power and awe anymore. Who controls, the banks, the media, education, food, medicines, these are the people who have power.
The day of religious institutional rule is over.

The Pope's power for example is all Christianity. The Vatican would simply be an Italian city were it not for Christianity.

I cannot comment on the Pope, as he/they never actually talk about God in any depth.

Because you air them in public.

So what?

And you're insulted and confused when other people don't immediately laud you and join you in your beliefs.

On the contrary I understand why people don't laud and join me, its really quite simple. Is that the length and breadth of your reason? Its quite puny, really, isn't it?
Why do you think Dawkins uses the term "sky fairy" instead of the term "God".

I do not. Religion is just the most insufficient.

The most insufficient what?

He believes that God is unproven, and he also believes that worshipping an unproven and likely non-existent entity...is ridiculous.

He believes that God doesn't exist because he cannot see him with his eyes, and if one is going to worship, then worship that which you can see with your own eyes. That can be his only premise.

Since when is science a bandwagon?

Since people start using its name to justify their fanatical ideas, namely telling people what they should and should not think.

Science Jan has put your PC where it is. Your house and belongings. Get off our bandwagon or stop complaining.

There's nothing wrong with science, it is a great tool to gain understanding of the material world.

But those terrorists are driven by religion.

That doesn't mean "religion" is the reason.
The reason is obvious, there seems to be an attack of muslim countries and peoples, ie. iraq, palastine, afganistan, and people are cheesed of.
If it was as you say, then the muslims in my town would be murdering left right and center, but they're not.

They may have perceived wrongdoings about territory and what not...but their religion spur them to cast out the "infidels" and strike at the unbelievers.

So there behaviour isn't acceptable because it is, as you put it, spured
on by religion?
Why don't the muslims who live on the next street to me, murder the infidels in my area, God knows there are plenty of us. I have never heard of one incident where a muslim has even had a mild argument with an infidel, based on religion. So what is the logical basis of your claim?

Political and diplomatic solutions exist to resolve issues.

*bombs dropping overhead*

"hang on honey I'm just going to call the police and have them put a stop to this infidel bombing"

Jan I suggest you simply move to a new neighbourhood. The kids in your neighbourhood sound very unsociable.

I would do, but as a result of idiotic youth behaviour, houses in neighbourhoods where people are civilised, have shot up in price, for that reason,
and houses in my neighbourhood, cannot be sold for love nor money.

Usually, when I read about a crime, it is adults that wield deadly weapons. I have only read 2 local reports where youth were handling weapons. I can't speak for England

This is a joke...isn't it.

Nonsense, they simply do not want religion to have the crushing hold that it currently enjoys.

What does religion currently enjoy?

...just don't expect other people to automatically join you, and don't expect to be unchallenged and proclaim that you're protected under the law from peer review!

Why are you accusing me of wanting people to join me?
Where have I stated this, or where has any theist in this thread stated this?
You cannot challenge me, as you don't care to understand what it is I believe, outside of what you think it is. If you care to understand then still, you do not need to challenge me as the basis of my belief can be found in any scripture.

Speaking of spreading beliefs...let's let go for a moment that atheism is technically an absence of belief.

Why pussyfoot, lets go the whole hop, and accept it for what it is, a belief that God does not exist.

If Sam and Richard wish to spread their beliefs, who are YOU Jan, to try to stop them? Maybe we should try to stop YOU from spreading yours?

This cannot be stopped, have you not read your scripture? :D
I merely enjoy debating and discussing these issues, in between recording and mastering my songs.;

Oh I beg to differ Jan. I for one am very fearful of religion. I fear that Islam might actually win the war and spread further than Christianity is able to contain it.

I fear the war, regardless of religion, or not.

I fear that my country's current leadership is completely mired in its own deep rooted evangelism - leading to banning of gambling because it is against god...and application of a "sin tax" on alcohol...yes people that actually occured...

I fear violent youths who know they cannot be touched, inflicting their violence on innocent people, spiraling because the government doesn't do anything to curb it.

(perhaps Jan, you might want to trade places with me?).

I wouldn't inflict that on my worst enemy, what to speak of you.

that the poison of organized religion has a long ways to go before humanity collectively applies the anti-toxin.

I fear that the organised religion will eventually be taken over by a regime which will openly discriminate against people who believe in the one God by
accusing them of murder, and being a party to murder because of what they
belief, by placing people in mental institutions, because they believe they are deluded based on nothing but a personal preference which would have, by now, become the norm.

Jan.

grover,

So from youe perspective living in a whale's stomach is impossible but there might be some other perspective where this is literally possible?

I don't believe my perspective is all there is, that is what I said.

No, I can't. I think people that hold literal beliefs pertaining to scripture are dangerously out of touch with reality and I'm done keeping my mouth shut about it. If you believe something crazy, you should be called on it. You anly have a right to deny reality as long as your delusion doens't impinge on me.

Okay if you wish to keep up with the accusations and personal insults, i see no point in conversing any further. The ball is in your court.

How can you be that dense? They think World War III is a good thing. They're fucking nuts.

How do you conclude that every christian believes the war is a good thing based on their belief?
And can you provide some kind of evidence which backs up this claim?

Do you really not get it? If so you are being deliberately dense.

Derrrrr.....

The point is that peoples "religous beliefs" are making a rational avoidance much less likely.

How naive.

I can imagine reasoning with an enemy, I can't imagine reasoning with someone that thinks World War III is a good thing, a thing that needs to happen so that their superhero can come and save the day. It's disgusting.

I'm sure you haven't been this stupid in other posts you have made.
You're taking the piss, aren't you? :D
I hope you are, it would be a shame to lose you this madness.

Jan.

spidergoat,

No, even if Dawkins were to percieve a God, it is still not necessarily true, and he might not believe it.

So you're saying Dawkins does not give a monkeys whether God exists or not?

The human mind is volnerable to hallucinations, dreams, mass delusion, optical and auditory illusions, and other forms of incomplete and inaccurate perception.

So God can never be believed by the so-called rational, even if he exists?

Listening to atheists, that makes a whole lot of sense.

Thanks
Jan.

I don't believe my perspective is all there is, that is what I said.
But what we were specifically talking about whether a man can live in a whales stomach. You seem to think there is some perspective from which this is a literal possibility. What perspective is that?

Okay if you wish to keep up with the accusations and personal insults, i see no point in conversing any further. The ball is in your court.
I'm not insulting in you. I'm letting you know my opinion that I thik you hold indefensible, irrational, dangerous, crazy beliefs. I see no point in conversing any further with someone who holds totally irrational beliefs. There is no point in trying to reason with someone that is irrational.

How do you conclude that every christian believes the war is a good thing based on their belief?
And can you provide some kind of evidence which backs up this claim?
I'm not in the mood to do intenet research. But I have seen the claim many times that Armageddon is a necessary prerequisite. I have heard evangelicals make this claim.

How naive.
Irony. Do you really think the fact that what's going on in the middle east is made easier to solve by all the relgious dogma involved? The religous dogma is making a bad political situation into a completely untenable situation in which everyone is imagining that they are doing God's will. Each religion has incompatible claims. You either believe or you don't. I fou don't you are going to hell. There are even minor differences within the religion (Sunnia against Shia).

I'm sure you haven't been this stupid in other posts you have made.
Let me get this straight, you say I'm insulting you because I say your beliefs are crazy (which they are) and then in the same post you proceed to call me naive and stupid. You are a typical theist - hypocritical to the core.

Just a couple of things..

Quite right. We have no religious programmes on British TV, yet here we have a man who believes religion should end, and he’s allowed to impose his beliefs over the TV, unchallenged.

Incorrect, there are religious programmes on British TV. One example: Songs of Praise (http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programmes/songsofpraise/).

Thing is, programmes that could be deemed anti religious are far from being 'unchallenged'. They'll whine and piss about it all week long. How many atheists have ever made formal complaints about songs of praise?

The actual proof and verification is from the nurses who confirmed that she correctly reported commetns they made evn though she had earplugs in her ears and no blood in her brain! And the doctor that said she correctly identified the tool even though she had tape over her eyes and no blood in her brain!

A) Things can be heard through those plugs.

B) She was still alive, no blood had been drained from her at that time!

Try again.

But what we were specifically talking about whether a man can live in a whales stomach. You seem to think there is some perspective from which this is a literal possibility. What perspective is that?

I'm not insulting in you. I'm letting you know my opinion that I thik you hold indefensible, irrational, dangerous, crazy beliefs. I see no point in conversing any further with someone who holds totally irrational beliefs. There is no point in trying to reason with someone that is irrational.

I'm not in the mood to do intenet research. But I have seen the claim many times that Armageddon is a necessary prerequisite. I have heard evangelicals make this claim.

Irony. Do you really think the fact that what's going on in the middle east is made easier to solve by all the relgious dogma involved? The religous dogma is making a bad political situation into a completely untenable situation in which everyone is imagining that they are doing God's will. Each religion has incompatible claims. You either believe or you don't. I fou don't you are going to hell. There are even minor differences within the religion (Sunnia against Shia).

Let me get this straight, you say I'm insulting you because I say your beliefs are crazy (which they are) and then in the same post you proceed to call me naive and stupid. You are a typical theist - hypocritical to the core.

Wow! You are serious.
I'm sorry about that.

Jan.

Back