For the atheists

Jan, it would be impossible for me to understand your answer because you actually haven't supplied one. You have just stated that you believe scripture is believable because you believe it contains truth. It's a circular non-answer. If you were a dog you'd be chasing your tail right now. If you catch it don't bite too hard.

Exactly Jan...well said Grover.

Jan, it would be impossible for me to understand your answer because you actually haven't supplied one. You have just stated that you believe scripture is believable because you believe it contains truth. It's a circular non-answer.

Just think about it for a second.
You ask what is "believable about the scripture, I answer "it contains truth".
Now please explain to me what is wrong with the answer to that question?
You asked for a reason and you got one.

Q.. what is so nice about orange juice?
A.. taste.

Jan.

Jan,
undoubtedly lots of things in the bible are true. But its the fantastic things, the things that really matter to the religion, that are unprovable.
In the end the theist is left with only the belief and with no evidence apart from his/her own religious experiences.

What religion are you talking about?
What is it that actually matters to the religion?
What would you regard as evidence of a supreme being?
And finally, are we to abandon our personal experiences because we cannot share them with others? If yes, why?

Jan.

jan said:
You ask what is "believable about the scripture, I answer "it contains truth".
Now please explain to me what is wrong with the answer to that question?
No one was suggesting that you believed in what to you contained no truth.

They were asking where, or how, you found truth in the Bible to believe.

I have found understanding in the Bible - remakable collection of stories, and it is through stories that we become human and wise and understand in our turn. Is that what you meant?

Enterprise-D,

Jan, you said his belief is only based on his inability to see god. Dawkins' conclusion is based also on the fact that not a single person has been able to provide evidence, effects of, or methods to perceive god. Not one. Therefore...the logical position cannot be one of belief.

The logical position IS one of belief, because we cannot see God directly.
His position is logical too, albeit simple, but it is not rational as that is not the way to percieve God directly (physical evidence which will satisfy him), according to any scripture, yet he sticks to his request knowing that it will never happen, and yet postulates God does not exist, because he cannot see him.

If Harry Potter exists as stated in the J.K. Rowling Tomes of Supreme Magics, why would he need to prove his existence?

Who is asking for proof?

Your problem here is that you assume the bible to be an absolute truth, when it could have just been a collection of ancient urban legends.

Your problem is, you have preset ideas and regardless of whether or not I press the buttons, your going to invoke them. .
Now please point out where I assume that the bible is the absolute truth, then when you realise I haven't, come back a deal with a point at a time, if that is possible.

Political oppression? I thought that was what the UN was for...

Please answer the question.

Where did I claim that? I said that religion is a motivating factor for violence. And I never said it was for pleasure.

You stated, or maybe implied, that people murder innocents, for the pleasure of virgins awaiting them in heaven.

Simple. Moderates apply to their respective Governments for tax breaks, anti-discrimination laws etc. All well and good (well except for the tax breaks). Then they push into freedom of speech, where it becomes almost criminal to discuss religion unless it begins with the phrase "Our Father, who art in Heaven".

I don't know what you're talking about.
Maybe if you just answer the question directly, you may make more sense.

When fundies begin questionable actions, and witnesses point it out...the fundies get to go "how dare you question my religion!"...and said witnesses have little choice but to back off.

An example?

The blue quotes? That's what Harris and Dawkins are talking about...we should be able to dare question any religion with no fear of jihads.

You, Dawkins, Harris, you don't question religion, you only demean it.
Where have you questioned actual religion since we started this discussion?

Oppression begets violence Jan? Give me a break.

Of course it can.

Like you said, a violent person will justify his actions any way he can. Up to and including religious means.

I was refering to a "violent person" regardless of his lifestyle.
What do you mean by "Up to and including religious means"?
You yet to show violence based purely on religion, you seem happy to cherry pick small, incontextual samples, to ring your triangle, but that is not satisfactory.

Sheer numbers...there are 5 billion odd theists in the world. With Christianity and Islam fighting for the number one spot.

Is this the best you have to offer in the way of an answer?

That in bold gave me the idea that you don't expect to be challenged...

As I said, you have preset ideas which are incapable of detecting subtlety.

Why can't I?

Because you don't know how to.

The only people that will challenge your beliefs are those who do not perceive it as you do. That's why LG and Sandy don't argue with you...

You do not percieve as I do, why don't you challenge my ideas?

Jan.

No one was suggesting that you believed in what to you contained no truth.

They were asking where, or how, you found truth in the Bible to believe.

I have found understanding in the Bible - remakable collection of stories, and it is through stories that we become human and wise and understand in our turn. Is that what you meant?

I said what I mean, what is so hard to understand?
The question has been answered, so let's move on to the next point, if indeed there is one.

Jan.

jan said:
I said what I mean, what is so hard to understand?
What you said appears to be without meaning, at least as far as the question of belief in the Bible is concerned.

Was that the point - that the truth in the Bible is identical to the belief and neither exists without the other?

grover,

That wasn't the nature of my answer at all.

Jan.

Sure it is Jan. You said:

"Q.. what is so nice about orange juice?
A.. taste"

In this analogy that you made orange juice is to scripture as taste is to truth.

So basically when someone asks you, how do we know scripture is true? Your answer is - we know scripture is true because scripture contains truth. It's not an answer at all.

A.. taste"

In this analogy that you made orange juice is to scripture as taste is to truth.

So basically when someone asks you, how do we know scripture is true? Your answer is - we know scripture is true because scripture contains truth. It's not an answer at all.
Right!

All of the entire (artificial) complexity and structure of religion is founded on this simple circular delusion.

"How do you know god exists?"

"The bible clearly says so."

"And the bible is true because...?"

"It's gods word, silly!"

(or substitute any religious text/myth of your choice)

Arrrggghhhhhhh!!!

What you said appears to be without meaning, at least as far as the question of belief in the Bible is concerned.

Was that the point - that the truth in the Bible is identical to the belief and neither exists without the other?

You answer the question then.
And bear in mind, the term "scripture" isn't exclusive to the bible.

Jan.

grover,

A.. taste"

In this analogy that you made orange juice is to scripture as taste is to truth

The answer to the question "what is so nice about orange juice?", is "taste", I suggest you get over it and move on.

So basically when someone asks you, how do we know scripture is true? Your answer is - we know scripture is true because scripture contains truth. It's not an answer at all

You asked what is "believable" about the scriptures, the answer you recieved was "it contains truth". The way to verify this is to ask people who believe scriptures, it is as simple as that.
The question you pose above, is a different one.

Jan.

superluminal,

Right!

All of the entire (artificial) complexity and structure of religion is founded on this simple circular delusion.

Are you aware of the original question?

Q.....Why are scriptures believable?
A.....Because they contain truth.

Please explain how this answer is circular, and/or delusional?

"How do you know god exists?"

"The bible clearly says so."

That wasn't the question.
You prematuraly ejaculated your response.

Jan.

Q.....Why are scriptures believable?
A.....Because they contain truth.

Please explain how this answer is circular, and/or delusional?

Ummm...
That's actaully a perfect textbook example of circular reasoning.
There is really no explaining to do.
The conclusion is included in the premise.
If you do not recognize that, then you simply don't understand what circular reasoning IS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

You asked what is "believable" about the scriptures, the answer you recieved was "it contains truth". The way to verify this is to ask people who believe scriptures

So... scriptures contain truth because those that believe scripture contains truth say so? :bugeye:

Grover seems to be on the mark.

Ummm...
That's actaully a perfect textbook example of circular reasoning.
There is really no explaining to do.
The conclusion is included in the premise.
If you do not recognize that, then you simply don't understand what circular reasoning IS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

It appears you are jumping the gun.
My answer would have to favour, 'the bible is believable, because people believe in it", to be classed as circular reasoning.

In logic, begging the question describes a type of logical fallacy, petitio principii, in which the conclusion of an argument is implicitly or explicitly assumed in one of the premises

Jan.

Jan.

Back