Flag burning

Do you think flag burning is a serious offense?

• Yes, it warrants a life sentence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, it warrants prison time

• Yes, it warrants exile

• Total voters
I share your feelings on this issue. When I see someone burning an American flag, it seriously pisses me off. If I saw someone doing that in person, I'd probably try to stop them, perhaps gather a brigade of supersoakers to put out the fire, I could even see myself getting into a fight over the issue.

But, much as I hate flag burning, I do consider it to be a form of free speech and so wouldn't outlaw it.

I was reading through this thread, intending to post some pithy and wise statement, but came across the above post, and couldn't think of anything to add. Salute. Even if you were on the opposing side, which you're not, salute.

Just remember, the reason that the rest of you can burn the flag is because people like madanthonywayne defend your right to do so...

Why, does people like madanthonywayne feel they need to "defend my right" to burn something, however, although, and how come?

Why does people like madanthonywayne feel they need to "defend my right" to burn something, however, although, and how come?

Because that's what we do, dude. If you don't already understand, it is beyond my capability to explain it to you. Just say "thanks" randomly, in the name of whatever it is that you think allows you to walk down the street freely...

What if I see a flag that happens to have caught fire, but I don't do anything, just ignore it.

Can I be charged with "ignoring the desecration of a holy symbol"? Is it like walking past a burning (let's see, Catholic) church, and laughing with delight, say, clapping and cheering, because all that useless symbology is turning to ashes?

What if I see a flag that happens to have caught fire, but I don't do anything, just ignore it.
Can I be charged with "ignoring the desecration of a holy symbol"? Is it like walking past a burning (let's see, Catholic) church, and laughing with delight, say, clapping and cheering?

No one is (at least I am not) going to get into some theoretical, esoteric debate on the actual burning of a flag. I have burned many flags, literally. Especially if you count the little five and dime ones on a stick. I think, though, correct me if I'm wrong, the intent of the thread is to discuss the symbolism behind "burning the flag", and why you have the right to do it. If you believe you have that right, of course...

I would if I were turkish and someone did that

Also burning the flag can be terrorism

If this is really the prevailing sentiment in Turkey I think it was a mistake to let them join the EU.

a flag represents an entire nation: the people within, its government, its culture, its language, its religion, etc.
In my country, the flag represents the citizen's right to burn any and all government flags, for any reason whatsoever.

The day when a United States citizen has to treat the government's flag like it's sacred will be a bad day. And if some kind of law like that ever passes, I'm going to print a bunch of flags on cheap newsprint with serial numbers on them and deliver hundreds of them to whatever dipshit Congressman voted for that unAmerican piece of petty tyranny, and fill his fucking office with the things and remind him on camera that they all have to be treated with respect forever and we're going to keep track.

That said, if someone hauls out the flag of the country on Memorial Day at Arlington Cemetery, and lights fire to it with their cigarette lighter, and gets their nose broken and their ass bounced on the parking lot tar, they had it coming.

There's free speech, and there's fighting words - the punch in the nose is just as American as the freedom to earn it without government interference.

The day when a United States citizen has to treat the government's flag like it's sacred will be a bad day.

Dude, the day has come and gone:

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/freespeech/p/flagburning.htm viewed at 3:52 AM, EST
Federal Flag Desecration Law (1968):
In 1968, Congress passed the Federal Flag Desecration Law in response to a Central Park event in which peace activists burned American flags in protest against the Vietnam War. The law banned any display of "contempt" directed against the flag, but did not address the other issues dealt with by state flag desecration laws.
Supreme Court Rules That Verbal Disparagement of Flag is Protected Speech (1969):
Civil rights activist Sydney Street, who had burned a flag at a New York intersection in protest against the shooting of civil rights activist James Meredith, was prosecuted under New York's desecration law for "defy(ing)" the flag. The Court overturned Street's conviction by ruling that verbal disparagement of the flag (one of the reasons for Street's arrest) is protected by the First Amendment--but did not directly address the issue of flag burning.
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/freespeech/p/flagburning.htm viewed at 3:52 AM, EST

There is more at the link, if you're interested. But this is the whole point, people fought for your f**king right to burn the American flag! Are you with me now?

What actually started me hunting links is the memory of being suspended from high school for wearing a T-Shirt that replicated the flag. Don't get me wrong, I have as much respect as anyone for the Stars & Stripes, but I also appreciate that we can burn it if we so want. People died for this, and other, American rights. Now granted, these same people that killed in wartime for your "right" are liable to turn around and kick your ass for thinking about burning our flag, but, oh well. This is what makes America unique.....

Patriotism is not madness, and that pic doesn' tmake sense to me:shrug:

No, patriotism is not madness. What you are suggesting patriotism is, however, IS madness.

The image is supposed to be funny (look at thread title) ;)
You live in Syria right ?

No, patriotism is not madness. What you are suggesting patriotism is, however, IS madness.

The image is supposed to be funny (look at thread title) ;)
You live in Syria right ?
No

hahaha now time for me to be devious in MS paint*watch out enmos*:p

No, it's not. It's ignoring what our Founding Fathers fought for.

They didn't fight and die for them to be spat on

They didn't fight and die for them to be spat on

They fought for our right to spit on the flag. Are you seriously suggesting if I was outside your window burning a Syrian flag, you'd come out and put a bullet in my head?

Back