• No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • We will have no choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you out of your mind, NO WAY!!!

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i always carry identification on me and 99% of the people i know do also. But there will be people who complain and claim\think they are doing it for freedom. Of course they want all the benefits of living as part of a civilization.

The freedom is choosing to carry ID or not. Freedom is the Police having no right to interfere with me if I am going about my legal business. That is civilisation. Being stopped and asked for ID for no cause is just wrong.

Is there a reason to believe that people will be stopped for no legitimate reason and asked for ID?
I'm not from the UK, so I may be missing something.

Freedom is the Police having no right to interfere with me if I am going about my legal business.

How would that change? You already need to be able to identify yourself if there is reasonable suspicion to stop you otherwise they will hold you there.

How would that change? You already need to be able to identify yourself if there is reasonable suspicion to stop you otherwise they will hold you there.

you do not have to carry ID, i know i dont, i dont drive, i ahve no credit cards, i have no passport, i ahve no birth certificate, so why should i carry ID

oh i forgot to add here that since the new goverment came into power the changes to the medicare card to turn it into a national ID card by stealth have been abandoned.

I wouldn't mind a national medical card, at least that would have a tangible benefit to the population. But no, we are offered national ID cards to fight the phantom menace of terrorism. Which of course, is bullshit.

I do worry what will come after national ID cards too, ... 'function creep' is something govts are prone to do, they introduce a new system with some safeguards or promises, only to quietly change their mind later, and undo some of these things.

Take DNA and fingerprint samples. The UK databases that hold these were supposed to delete the data from people arrested, but not found guilty, it was supposed to be an offenders register only. Samples are taken when people are arrested, and now, years after, they no longer delete the samples taken from those found not guilty. IE, a person found innocent in a court of law is treated differently to other citizens by sheer virtue of having been arrested. This poses questions, and is almost a criminal record, it's kind of an insinuation that the citizen concerned is really an offender, but got off, and the Police are biding their time awaiting them to re-offend, so they can be caught using this data.

So, once national ID cards are in place, what 'creep' will take place? Police powers to random stop and search? Swoops by immigration to check status? Sale of the data to whoever bids enough?

LA,

In the U.S the police cannot just stop people and ask for ID and i assume it is the same in Europe. They need reasonable suspicion to stop you and having a universal ID card is just an easy way to ID yourself because if there is reasonable suspicion to stop they will just hold you there until they can ID you.

LA,

In the U.S the police cannot just stop people and ask for ID and i assume it is the same in Europe. They need reasonable suspicion to stop you and having a universal ID card is just an easy way to ID yourself because if there is reasonable suspicion to stop they will just hold you there until they can ID you.

then they can hold me, i wont carry ID, i dont see why i should. ]

like i said, no credit cards, no drivers licence, no birth certificate, so apart from the ID card what other way can i ID myself?

I know why dont i just tattoo me birthdate, name, address, phone number, on me? will that help them. and anyway i am anti police so why should i make they're jobs easier

Do you or did you show ID to get into a pub? I know that i did and sometimes still do and that doesnt seem to bother anyone.

phlogistician i think i left out some info there

We currently have a medicare card which a)proves we are alowed to use the free public health care b) alows the GP's to bill the gov for there services and c) keeps track on the medicare safty net (where everything becomes apsolutly free)

We have had that for YEARS

the problem was that the former federal goverment wanted to "amalgomate it" all the other concession cards and more importantly put biometrict data on it to be used as a "id card"

WOW. They do that all the time in U.S. Sometimes they even stand at the door and ask for ID.

I think that's just a throwback to Prohibition, and shows how uptight the US is over alcohol, and how much sway the temperance fundies have.

It's a peculiarly American thing. I've travelled a fair bit, and never been 'carded', whereas friends in their 40's have been carded in the US.

Identify myself to whom, under what circumstances? For an ID card to be of any use, the govt have to compel people to carry one. Criminals don't obey the law, so law abiding citizens will carry them, not need them, and felons will get arrested until their identity is verified.

So nothing changes, except I'm out of pocket by £200 and have yet another law to abide by, which I'll be breaking when I go out running 'cos I don't take my wallet with me.

Or they won't compel us to carry the card, so folks won't, so they can't lose it, and have to spend another £200 plus fill out all the pain the arse paperwork to get another, so it achieves nothing.

It shows how far the labour government has become out of touch.

I am a lifelong labour supporter, and will probably still vote for them at the next general election, but even I can see that they are a spent force and need kicking out.

I am a lifelong labour supporter, and will probably still vote for them at the next general election, but even I can see that they are a spent force and need kicking out.

they were fist decided upon by the conservative party!

and has far as they need kicking out, no they dont, some popela re much better if under labour than they ever will be under conservative, the conservative party wnt to stop "tax credits" and that is so wrong on many levels

I have only had to show ID to get in certain clubs and bars, and to buy alcohol in supermarkets.

because its my civil right not to carry ID, i ahve never carried ID and i wont start now!

Good for you LA, but citizenship is no longer a right, you gotta earn it, 'cause it means a whole lot. If all you haave to do is carry sometning a bit moresophicated than you license then so be it. Its a brave new world after all

the conservative party wnt to stop "tax credits" and that is so wrong on many levels

They have said that they want to "reform" tax credits, but their tax policy has not been set out yet.

The labour government has been in power for three terms of government now, and they are very tired. The tax credits and the minimum wage have been a successful product of their government, but it's not much progress in 12 years is it?

Back