Finally a honest guy on death row

Government has a vested interest in bringing peace to those harmed. Family, friends, society, and the victim all have the right to exact "revenge". It's become a dirty word, but all punishments encompass the revenge factor. People cede the right to exact their revenge to the government who, in theory, exerts it in a level fashion. It doesn't always work right, but it works righter than tribal justice, which modern government replaced.

People expect their government to do more than act on rosie ideals in the hopes of a utopian society. People want satisfaction that comes from knowing that the bad guy got "what was coming to him."

Don't fool yourself into believing that "prison" isn't torture. All punishment involves pain. Physical. Mental. Social. Being locked up in a cage for the rest of one's life isn't any less "humane' than being put to death in a painless manner. Some people -- the worst of us -- earn an exit from this world. I'm happy that it still happens here. I'm annoyed that it doesn't happen more.

~String

no norse they arnt, they are VERY different

You call homosexuality evil because "god says so" but for it to be imoral you would have to refer back to the principles of autonomy, non-malficence, beneficence and justice and try to make an argument based on EVIDENCE that homosexuality causes more DIRECT harm than percicuting it does.
Morality isn't just based on whether or not it harms others. That's legality. That's why homosexuality is legal, but not moral (in the traditional sense). As for me, I don't necessarily think it's wrong, but I don't support it either.

Government has a vested interest in bringing peace to those harmed. Family, friends, society, and the victim all have the right to exact "revenge". It's become a dirty word, but all punishments encompass the revenge factor. People cede the right to exact their revenge to the government who, in theory, exerts it in a level fashion. It doesn't always work right, but it works righter than tribal justice, which modern government replaced.

People expect their government to do more than act on rosie ideals in the hopes of a utopian society. People want satisfaction that comes from knowing that the bad guy got "what was coming to him."

Don't fool yourself into believing that "prison" isn't torture. All punishment involves pain. Physical. Mental. Social. Being locked up in a cage for the rest of one's life isn't any less "humane' than being put to death in a painless manner. Some people -- the worst of us -- earn an exit from this world. I'm happy that it still happens here. I'm annoyed that it doesn't happen more.

~String

Very well put, I agree.

Morality isn't just based on whether or not it harms others. That's legality. That's why homosexuality is legal, but not moral (in the traditional sense). .
Actually, I think that's utility. That's why MJ is illegal, though it doesn't hurt anyone.

Back