Fertilization-Assigned Personhood [FAP]

Say a pregnant woman is shot in the stomach by her psycho husband because he figures the baby is not his. The baby dies, the woman lives. Will the husband be convicted for murder?

I would say yes... not to mention attempted homicide, assault with a deadly weapon, battery, etc.

Because you like using sexist labels?
I have let you know enough times now that it isn't acceptable. I am not your love, little miss, little princess, bitch, and all the other ridiculous platitudes one uses to demean women. So cut it out.
As I said, if you will grant me the same respect and quit trying to apply demeaning and insulting labels to me, I shall give you the same respect.

No, I am saying that you keep reiterating the same myth, even though you were provided with more than enough evidence to educate you that it is just a myth and you need to stop referring to it as though you are correct.
Intriguing... you keep using the word myth...
f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44de4eb56039994a47f00d296b.jpg

Going to mansplain your sexism now?
And again with the colorful insults...

Oh so now you are implying things that aren't even there..
Last I checked, the women who are pro-life aren't men.
So yeah, please stop misrepresenting what is actually said.
Start saying what you actually mean then. If you would quit with the irrational tirade long enough to look at the facts, you would realize that I am actually in favor of women having safe and affordable access to all health care options.

Well since you deem her solely responsible if she falls pregnant, whatever happens afterwards should be entirely her decision and her responsibility as she sees fit, no?
I never said she was solely responsible. However, she does have to accept some responsibility for it... after all, as I've said, except in cases of rape or coercion, it takes two to tango. Doing the nasty on your own would be like having mac and cheese without the mac...

I don't know? Why do you feel the need to be here at all? This thread is about discussing politicians and pro-lifer's who wish to impose on women's rights. You have yet to provide any articles or raise any discussions about the actual thread topic. All you are doing here is complaining against something or other that actually has nothing to do with you at all.

Do you have an answer to the questions posed in the OP?

What happens to the mother's freedoms and her rights once personhood is legally given to her foetus?
Ideally? Nothing. Personhood should only be granted once the fetus has reached a stage at which it would be capable of life outside the womb. As you are so quick to point out, abortion at that stage is exceedingly rare already. If things were done correctly, it would never need to happen at that late stage; a woman who does not wish to have a child would be able to have an abortion much, much sooner, saving her time, money, and complications in the long run.

Unfortunately, we do not live in an ideal world - instead of trying to tackle this problem as a whole, we (as a species) insist on focusing in on tiny little points of it... we can't see the forest for the mitochondria of the cell of the leaf of the tree we are micro-examining.

Wait.. what?

So the reasons scientists are unable to prove foetal pain is because pro-abortionists re-define pain as not being a physical response but an emotional one? (woo woo conspiracy theory alert!) .. I mean heaven forbid it's not because they do not have the evidence. Because well, this being a science forum and all, of course lack of evidence means that it's a grand type of conspiracy by "pro-abortionists" to shout really loudly and it is they, damn them! who are redefining "pain".. Science be damned!.. That's a whole level of woo right there Kitta.
You keep saying it is woo... and yet every time you have been asked to "prove it", you have failed to do so. I won't deny that there is a level of uncertainty there... of course we can't be completely sure it 'feels pain' the way we think of pain. However, it shows a direct response to harmful stimuli... I'd rather not risk that we are, in fact, torturing it. In fact, further supporting evidence of this (since one of the arguments against fetal pain is that they are not conscious) is right here: People who are in a coma can react to pain.
Patterns of brain activity were the same MCS patients and the healthy controls, who rated the pain they received as "highly unpleasant to painful". Blood flow increased to parts of the brain that form the so-called "pain matrix", incorporating the thalamus and various parts of the cortex activated when we feel pain.

"I think it definitely means they feel pain because they activate the whole pain matrix," Laureys told New Scientist. "But what they feel is still an open question, whether they feel it the same way we do," he says.
So... at this point, claiming a fetus with a developed nervous system, pain receptors, and a brain activity cannot feel pain merely because it is not 'conscious' as we are is a blithe lie.

And because you can't ask the foetus if it hurts?

Ummm..
Well, that WOULD be a definitive answer, would it not?

Well it beats conspiracy theory sites that go on about gays, gay marriage and abortion being part of this global war on Christian family values.
Polish a turd, it's still a turd. Just because one piece of shit smells better than another, it doesn't mean it isn't still a piece of shit.

Umm actually no.

See they tend to provide links to scientific studies to back up their opinions.

Your LifeSiteNews links provide running commentary on gay conspiracies and how Obama is letting gays subvert society into the Godlessness or some shit.
Actually, both sites have provided links to, and quoted, scientific studies to back up their opinions... that's the great thing about taking things out of context - even mathematical statistics can be made to lie.

I see you have a firm grip on those straws.
Hey, you are the one that said it is the womans choice... if that is true, then you shouldn't blame the man for what the woman does... unless you wish to hold this to a double standard?

Well if you have already made up your mind to abort, why are you going to be interested in foetal development?
You might not be... but considering how some abortion methods work, knowing the orientation of the fetus (or fetuses) could be useful... not to mention an ultrasound could show other potential problems that may be laying in wait... I would reckon a properly understood ultrasound or x-ray could have saved you a lot of pain and suffering with your delivery, would it not?

And this is one of the many reasons I do not agree with, nor identify with, the pro-life nutters. Admittedly, a woman on the poverty line should probably consider her situation BEFORE getting pregnant... but if she does, and she wants to keep the baby, should she not be given access to every possible resource to ensure the health and well being of herself and her child to be? Likewise, if she decides she cannot afford to have a child, shouldn't she have access to every possible resource to help her out, ranging from financial assistance to adoption and even abortion?

And women do.

However when because of the dark ages mentality that views women as being breeding cows, and thus, all their choices must be removed, from sex education to birth control, to access to early abortions, then what happens? I mean shite, they are even complaining about providing maternal care for poor uninsured women who want to have babies.
Admittedly, I think there comes a point in financial planning where you should be able to look at your situation and realize having a child isn't appropriate right now... trust me, I should know; my wife and I are there, right now. We had expected to be able to have a family by now... but doing so is impractical. We REFUSE to have a child knowing we could not properly support and care for one... ironically enough, if we were to have a child, we could, quite possibly, qualify for government assistance... yet because we are responsible adults and have NOT had a child we could not readily support, we are considered to be "making too much" for support. A delicious, if bitter, irony.

Umm scientists disagree with each other all the time. It does not mean the site is invalid. She was dismissive of the risk of men over 35 having children, he felt the risks were valid - which given his children's issues, he has a vested interest.
So how do you decide which scientists to believe? When it is convenient for your case? When they support your cause? How do you decide which is "truth"?

You are referring to sites that are complaining about gay conspiracies to destroy families and how there is apparently an international battle of some sort going on because of gays, gay marriage, abortion, cloning (*chortle*) as points of authority.

Well I guess given that you believe the reason scientists cannot prove pain as you believe it is in the apparently conscious and feeling "child" in the womb is because of pro-choicers, I should not be too surprised.
Indeed... you should not be surprised. After all, the pursuit of the truth is the only thing I have ever been after.

Germs are made to be spread!
Indeed... much the same as STD's... I still don't want one.

I actually refer to a range of sources, especially scientific sites when discussing science. You know, sites that do not believe that "that abortion, euthanasia, cloning, homosexuality and all other moral, life and family issues are all interconnected in an international conflict affecting all nations,"...
Interesting... do you carefully screen your sources to make sure they only support your point? Or do you occasionally post sources that contradict your views as well, as a show that you recognize science is eternally ongoing?

Well if the alternative is LifeSiteNews, you cannot be any worse off with yahoo answers.
Again, why should it matter the source so long as they have provided sources and citations?

Naw..

Too many human sacrifices, not enough time. Plus we'd have to kill too many birds for the feathered headdresses.
There are always synthetic feathers (it is amazing what one can do with plastic fibers nowadays, especially with plant-based plastics)

Little jerks and the FAPping issue

I quite liked the pro-life cartoon by the way. Very cute.

I knew you'd love it.

So, still can't answer the question?

What about the mother?

Who's trying to kill her, and how? Can you answer that question?

But the numbers are exceptionally low. Would be lower if women were able to access abortions more easily. So why do you wish to impose restrictions?

So, why do you think that low incidence is reason not to have a law regarding it? There are fewer murders in Australia every year than babies aborted in the 3rd trimester. So perhaps Australia doesn't need laws against murder. After all, people are rational people, aren't they? I'm sure the urge to commit murder isn't undertaken lightly; so why regulate it? It's just silly.

But lets talk about the "concept of personhood". So it's a whiff? Not a gale force fart? Okay.. Soooo once again, what about the mother and her personhood? It must be separate from the foetus, correct? Since you know, the foetus is apparently now its own little person. But it is existing inside another person. So who has the dominant rights? Whose body is it again? Ah yes, the mother's. It's her body, her uterus, her life that is in limbo, her possible job that she cannot work in and her possible children that she cannot feed and keep sheltered if she cannot work due to being in the 3rd trimester and then having to endure births. Now, whose body is it again? Whose rights are paramount if it's her body and existing inside her body?

Ah! So it should be killed, even if it could be removed safely. Of course. I think most states in which SYG laws are used do require some kind of warning first, you know.

Do you have rights over your house? Do you have the right to say 'please leave, I don't want you here'? Do you think you have the right to pack up their things and leave them outside the front gate and change the locks? It's your house, yes? The answer to those questions is yes.

Wait - I should kill them, right? I mean, who the hell would trade off a little discomfort against a human life? Or maybe I could just kick his ass a little, you know, for being an asshole. But, in line with your parallel, how can I tell if a fetus is being an asshole? You seem more experienced than me in these social interactions: what are the warning signs that my unborn baby is a dick? What should I look for? Maybe he keeps the wife up at night with his relentless physiological activity, as if he had some kind of a fucking right to it. Tchuh!

So how do I end up in all your little stories, Bells? Every time I turn around, there's a new Geoff Tale leaning on its kilter. Why me, specifically? I think someone has a cruuu-uush! :D Please, Bells, I'm married with an asshole baby on the way.

Your father in law starts telling the kids that you beat their mother and they start looking at you as if you are a monster. He also tells them that they can start calling him Daddy.. Since he's a better father figure for them than you are..

This is the point I started to laugh. So the unborn - and apparently feral - fetus is now apparently trying to break my marriage up, I see.

batboy_vp.jpg

And what's worse, he's a fucking Republican!

You are talking about laws that apply to people. You know, they are born, not connected by an umbilical cord to any other person.

And a fetus capable of independent life requires no such connection either. Are you implying that the mother should physically attack it? I mean, surgery takes longer, but the little womb thief is attached now! This is truly the ultimate example of the changing pace of modern society.

A foetus is a potential person. So is your sperm for that matter.

Err: I don't know how biology proceeds in your family, but it's not really biologically so up here. What a strange place Australia is!

Sentience in an unborn? No. Actually, I do not.

I don't believe in spirits either, nor do I believe in souls or that babies come from heaven and that if they die, they go to heaven as little angels.

Well how odd - because earlier, you said you had this unflinching respect for those that did. For shame, Bells, to see you marching in lockstep with Dawkins just because it's trendy.

Actually no I won't.

There are abortion providers who provide abortion services in the 3rd trimester and do so legally.

As I read, I do find that there are some providers of 3rd-term abortions who extend the notion of medical need to include mothers with mental health issues. So, you could be right.

With remarks about gun rights and what not?

I can see you're sundowning, so I'll let you off here.

As I said, I can get one whenever I choose to get one.

With appropriate medical supervision for LTA, yes.

You would only feel offended by my saying "men like Senator Pete Kelly from Alaska" if you are a man like Senator Pete Kelly from Alaska.

Are you like him?

Honestly, you'd pitch a mini fit if I had said 'like someone who likes the colour blue'..

A bit dishonest there: why do you feel the need to comment on his gender?

You're good on two for four there. You are not it's "life force". It's animus is its own. But assertion is not the solution to the argument.

Well I was only going for some light humor. Animus, if I understand how its being used, is not the same as "life force" since it cannot function on any resource not provided by the host mother. It cannot breathe the air, it cannot provide any life function outside of what is provided by the mother's body.

Out of curiosity Geoff how does a woman having an abortion affect you personally? Outside of it bothering your personal principles how does it actually affect you. We can argue about "personhood" all we want but its really just an imposition of opinion since a lot of how we look at a fetus is based on culture. An Orthodox Jew won't even masturbate because it means "spilling" their seed. A muslim believes god blows the soul into a fetus in its third month. Many christians believe life begins at conception and so a fetus is a person and yet others say a fetus is only a person once its born. Science doesn't answer the question of personhood so its not a scientific debate. You believe what you believe and I'm not trying to change that. I just want to know how it infringes on you if a woman has an abortion. Is it fair to say that since you can never build social consensus (this is not a monolithic culture) around the notion of "personhood" you will always inflict an arbitrary belief on someone else who doesn't share that belief. Choice doesn't force any belief on anyone but those who oppose abortion does.

Last edited:
You think the State should involve itself in what woman can have children? Forced contraception injections until the State deems them worthy of being allowed to have a child?

Are you from North Korea or something?
Many countries outside of North Korea have created child welfare agencies that are authorized to deny parental custody to woman and men whose actions are deemed a threat to their children. Why wouldn’t it be appropriate to apply a similar standard to a fetus of a qualified gestational condition?

And you think more States should be like Alabama? What? Arrest them and keep them in jail until they feel pressured to get an abortion?
I would hope that women who are in a position to conceive would have sense enough to either prevent it or appropriately arrest it when their life circumstances aren’t amenable to ensuring a reasonably safe prenatal and postnatal environment. But unfortunately people can’t always be trusted to behave responsibly, that’s when the state ideally, and hopefully reasonably steps in to take up the slack. In the case of the state of Alabama, I think that their fetal rights standards are too stringent for my tastes, and unless they can prove that your negligent behavior caused harm to a viable fetus, they have no grounds to levy harsh punishment.

Like I said earlier, it’s a shame that the prevailing ideology in Alabama didn’t offer Amanda Kimbrough a way out of her predicament.
State Rep. Patricia Todd, D-Birmingham, wrote a brief on behalf of the petitioner in the Supreme Court case.

“(The chemical endangerment law) did not define the world ‘child’ to include fetuses in utero and were not intended to apply to pregnant women in relation to their fetuses,” according to the brief. “The Alabama Legislature has expressly chosen in other circumstances to use such a definition, and could have done so here if that definition was intended.

“Nor was the law intended to target mere use of controlled substances by any individuals, including pregnant women. The expressed intention of the Legislature was to address situations in which individuals who produce and distribute methamphetamine in home laboratories expose children living in the home to such drugs.”

http://www.timesdaily.com/news/local/article_6b5e633a-cb34-11e2-bdde-10604b9f6eda.html?mode=jqm
The irony in this case is that under the Dry Foot policy, her questionably viable 25 week old fetus was a person, thereby qualifying as a victim under the law.

Court opinion

From the January state Supreme Court opinion:
Though Amanda Kimbrough’s attorneys argued the Legislature didn’t want fetuses included in the definition of a “child” under the state’s chemical endangerment law, the court didn’t see it that way.

“[T]he fact that the Legislature ultimately failed to take any action on these proposed amendments may easily be read as proof that it believed the statute clearly included an unborn child within its protection and that it did not need clarification,” the court said in its opinion.

There were two dissenters on the ruling: Then-Chief Justice Charles Malone and Justice Glenn Murdock.

“The majority’s rationale for its expansive interpretation of the chemical-endangerment statute in spite of the plain language of that statute is that the Legislature’s use of the term ‘unborn child’ in other statutes such as the homicide statute shows a concern for the protection of unborn children in all instances, even when the Legislature specifically used the word ‘child,’ and not ‘unborn child,’ in the chemical-endangerment statute,” Malone wrote.

He goes on to say he’s concerned about the law encouraging women to seek abortions to avoid jail.

“… the chemical-endangerment statue will now supply women who have, either intentionally or not, run afoul of the proscriptions of the statute a strong incentive to terminate their pregnancy.”

Republican Justice Tom Parker not only authored the court’s decision, but also a concurring statement. Parker is the founder of the Alabama Policy Institute, which has advocated against abortion rights.

“The decision of this Court today is in keeping with the widespread legal recognition that unborn children are persons with rights that should be protected by law,” he wrote in January. “Today, the only major area in which unborn children are denied legal protection is abortion, and that denial is only because of the dictates of Roe (vs. Wade, the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court case that said unduly restrictive regulations on abortions are unconstitutional).”

Parker declined to be interviewed about the case because a petition for re-hearing in the case is pending, a court spokesperson said.

http://www.timesdaily.com/news/local/article_6b5e633a-cb34-11e2-bdde-10604b9f6eda.html?mode=jqm
Hopefully she’ll have better luck with the review of her appeal.
Justia.com Opinion Summary: Petitioners Hope Ankrom and Amanda Kimbrough each petitioned the Supreme Court for review of the Court of Criminal Appeals' decisions in their respective cases. The Court granted their petitions and consolidated the cases because both presented the same issue of first impression for the Court's consideration: whether the term "child" as used in section 26-15-3.2, Ala. Code 1975 (the chemical endangerment statute), included an unborn child. The appellate court concluded that it did, and the Supreme Court agreed. The Court of Criminal Appeals judgments was affirmed in both cases.

http://law.justia.com/cases/alabama/supreme-court/2013/1110176.html

Well I was only going for some light humor.

Sorry if I sounded dire. I have a flu coming on. It waits to pounce.

Animus, if I understand how its being used, is not the same as "life force" since it cannot function on any resource not provided by the host mother. It cannot breathe the air, it cannot provide any life function outside of what is provided by the mother's body.

At 27 weeks, it can. If we took dependence as a strict reason to deny personhood, we could as easily kill of masses of people on ventilators, or anyone who relies on another.

Out of curiosity Geoff how does a woman having an abortion affect you personally? Outside of it bothering your personal principles how does it actually affect you.

Well, how does a woman being raped two counties over affect me? Answer: it doesn't, outside my own principles.

We can argue about "personhood" all we want but its really just an imposition of opinion since a lot of how we look at a fetus is based on culture. An Orthodox Jew won't even masturbate because it means "spilling" their seed. A muslim believes god blows the soul into a fetus in its third month. Many christians believe life begins at conception and so a fetus is a person and yet others say a fetus is only a person once its born. Science doesn't answer the question of personhood so its not a scientific debate. You believe what you believe and I'm not trying to change that. I just want to know how it infringes on you if a woman has an abortion. Is it fair to say that since you can never build social consensus (this is not a monolithic culture) around the notion of "personhood" you will always inflict an arbitrary belief on someone else who doesn't share that belief. Choice doesn't force any belief on anyone but those who oppose abortion does.

Well, the seed argument is stupid for a start. But as to culture: a rationally-derived limit is our cultural prerogative in this matter, no worse than any other selection and probably miles better. Do we know the answer to personhood? I don't know that. I don't know that we can formulate it: how do I, humble scribe, know what anyone else experiences? How do I really know anyone else is a person at all, sentient and cognisant? I can't, probably. The best I can do is infer from the available evidence whether or not someone is a person. Evidence of that spark in the embryo suggests the onset of this state later in the third trimester, and that seems likely to me. I think there is as strong a social consensus around this point as one can expect in the Western world and that, for me, suggests they may be on to something.

I know you see limitations on abortion rights as force; maybe it is. But how is it different from any of the force that the rest of law applies? One does not do entirely as one wishes, for reasons that are often in greater evidence. It is the same here: one does not do entirely as one wishes, for reasons that are more obscure but no less compelling.

Thank you for your excellent post.

As I said, if you will grant me the same respect and quit trying to apply demeaning and insulting labels to me, I shall give you the same respect.
Then stop acting like the label.

Intriguing... you keep using the word myth...
Sorry. I should have used conspiracy instead. Since you apparently believe that it is the "pro-abortionists" who are defining pre-natal studies on foetal pain for their nefarious means.

And again with the colorful insults...
If you do not like the term, then stop acting like it.

Start saying what you actually mean then. If you would quit with the irrational tirade long enough to look at the facts, you would realize that I am actually in favor of women having safe and affordable access to all health care options.
I did say exactly what I meant.

You decided to infer that I meant "men" and become offended.

You are in favour of women having safe and affordable access to all health care options up to a point. Beyond that point, then you do not believe those options should be fully available to her.

As a result, you are still unable to answer or deal with the question in the OP:

How does one manage the conflict of two equally protected people when one must assert authority over another's very person?

So after the 27 weeks, the point where the foetus attains personhood in your opinion, what happens to the mother's personhood? How do you manage the conflict between the mother and the foetus at that point? The very fact that you wish to impose restrictions of any sort means that you have deemed that the mother's rights become secondary based on your personal beliefs that she may have simply waited that long to make her decision because she is somewhat irresponsible, even though you were provided with more than enough information now to realise why women are being made to wait that long.

Your next comments prove my point:

I never said she was solely responsible. However, she does have to accept some responsibility for it... after all, as I've said, except in cases of rape or coercion, it takes two to tango. Doing the nasty on your own would be like having mac and cheese without the mac...

If she accepts her responsibility for it and decides to abort, even after 27 weeks after not being able to access one earlier due to how difficult it is to obtain one earlier on in many parts of the US, what is it to you and your personhood beliefs?

You keep skirting this issue. Each time we bring it up to you, retreat behind the emotive language of 'it's a feeling baby' and using terminology like 'killing a baby' or even alluding to murder to avoid answering the main question.

What happens to the mother's rights and her control over her body once she has reached that 27 weeks?

Ideally? Nothing. Personhood should only be granted once the fetus has reached a stage at which it would be capable of life outside the womb. As you are so quick to point out, abortion at that stage is exceedingly rare already. If things were done correctly, it would never need to happen at that late stage; a woman who does not wish to have a child would be able to have an abortion much, much sooner, saving her time, money, and complications in the long run.
Which is actually at full term. At 27 weeks, the foetus cannot survive without extraordinary measures to keep it alive.

Viability is a very vague term. A child born at 27 weeks is open to so many risks, blindness, infection, and developmental issues, because it is not developed enough to be able to survive outside the womb without such extraordinary measures.

If you are going to argue personhood at the point of viability, then viability starts at 24 weeks. The risks to the foetus survival if born then is even greater.

Unfortunately, we do not live in an ideal world - instead of trying to tackle this problem as a whole, we (as a species) insist on focusing in on tiny little points of it... we can't see the forest for the mitochondria of the cell of the leaf of the tree we are micro-examining.
Well the problem cannot be tackled if people keep insisting on avoiding the questions that go to the very heart of the problem.

We've been at this "problem" here for nearly 2 years and in that time, no one has been able to explain what happens to the mother's rights if her very personhood is in direct competition to a "person" existing inside her body. If you curtail her rights to her body, if you prevent her from asserting her authority over her body once personhood is given to the foetus, then her rights and her personhood become secondary to the 'person' living inside her. So how " do you manage this the conflict of two equally protected people when one must assert it's authority over another's very person?"..

And as the OP clearly states, assigning personhood to a foetus is creating a new class of "person" which by the very definition of "person" carries with it its own legally binding rights - in other words, if you assign personhood to a foetus, then its rights become equal to that of the mother. It is then entitled to all the legal protections and rights you enjoy as a "person". As such, you are now creating a new class of "person". However this "person" resides inside another legally recognised person. By that very definition, one's rights cannot be equal. How can the foetus maintain and assert its inalienable if these rights are in direct competition against the person in which it is residing?

You keep saying it is woo... and yet every time you have been asked to "prove it", you have failed to do so. I won't deny that there is a level of uncertainty there... of course we can't be completely sure it 'feels pain' the way we think of pain. However, it shows a direct response to harmful stimuli... I'd rather not risk that we are, in fact, torturing it. In fact, further supporting evidence of this (since one of the arguments against fetal pain is that they are not conscious) is right here: People who are in a coma can react to pain.
So... at this point, claiming a fetus with a developed nervous system, pain receptors, and a brain activity cannot feel pain merely because it is not 'conscious' as we are is a blithe lie.
There is no scientifically certain proof that a foetus at 27 weeks is able to consciously feel pain or be aware of it. There is proof that its withdrawal from stimuli is more instinctive and not because it is in there going "ouchies that hurts" - in other words, there is no proof that it has an emotional response to the pain. Why is emotional response important to pain? You can try to claim that this lack of proof that it is conscious of pain is because you believe the supposed pro-abortion lobby has apparently corrupted scientists by shouting loudly to demand that they claim that pain response is emotional as well, but that does not make your brand of woo woo valid. Here is a what actual scientists and doctors say about pain and how and why it interacts with the emotional response so that we feel the pain:

It has been shown in cancer patients[1] that the affective component of pain can be completely blocked by frontal lobectomy. Lobectomized patients still register severe pain, but it doesn’t ‘‘bother’’ them. Pain can thus be viewed as merely
a ‘‘signal’’ that something is wrong somewhere in the body, until it reaches the emotional brain, where this signal becomes what we feel as pain.

There is no evidence that this occurs in newborns.

As for your coma study that you linked:

Researchers who did the scans in Belgium say it justifies giving pain relief to all patients in this "minimally conscious state" (MCS).

"These findings might be objective evidence of a potential pain perception capacity in patients with MCS, which supports the idea that these patients need painkilling treatment," write Steven Laureys and his colleagues at the Coma Science Group of the Cyclotron Research Centre at the University of Liege in The Lancet Neurology.

But they found much less evidence that "brain-dead" coma patients in a so called persistent vegetative state (PVS) react to pain.

Does not mean that a foetus is capable of the same thing. Still no proof that a foetus has developed the emotional ability to respond to pain as a born and fully developed person in a minimally conscious state responds to pain.

If it was conscious and able to perceive pain as you seem to argue it can, then the pain it would experience in natural childbirth would be so great that the trauma would cause undue permanent damage and possibly induce a heart attack or stroke in the foetus.

Well, that WOULD be a definitive answer, would it not?
:bugeye:

Polish a turd, it's still a turd. Just because one piece of shit smells better than another, it doesn't mean it isn't still a piece of shit.
You need to keep your woo woo conspiracy theories out of the non-woo woo sub-forums.

There is no scientific evidence to support your beliefs. It's not because of a conspiracy from "pro-abortionists" controlling the language of the debate. But because there is no actual proof.

Actually, both sites have provided links to, and quoted, scientific studies to back up their opinions... that's the great thing about taking things out of context - even mathematical statistics can be made to lie.
Umm... The scientific articles you provided clearly state there is no evidence or proof that a foetus is able to emotionally recognise and thus, feel "pain". The only article you linked that claims they can is from a pro-life anti-abortion, anti-gay and into the full blown gays, gay marriage, abortion, cloning (again, *chortle*) is an international conflict against Christian family values..

Hey, you are the one that said it is the womans choice... if that is true, then you shouldn't blame the man for what the woman does... unless you wish to hold this to a double standard?
I don't. But I do blame the men and women wholly unconnected to her who try to enforce their personal beliefs on her uterus.

You might not be... but considering how some abortion methods work, knowing the orientation of the fetus (or fetuses) could be useful... not to mention an ultrasound could show other potential problems that may be laying in wait... I would reckon a properly understood ultrasound or x-ray could have saved you a lot of pain and suffering with your delivery, would it not?
Here is what research says about forcing women who choose to abort their foetuses to have an ultra-sound beforehand in a bid to change their mind:

The author of a proposed law in Texas that would require doctors to perform sonograms on women seeking abortions has called the bill "empowering" to women, saying it could help some change their minds about going through with the procedure. But reproductive rights researchers and abortion providers say there's little scientific evidence that the law will change women's minds.

http://www.livescience.com/12886-abortion-sonogram-research.html

A 2009 study by two British Columbia researchers included surveys of 350 patients of two urban abortion clinics. All underwent ultrasounds and all were asked whether they wanted to view the images, according to the study by Lisa Adams and Dr. Ellen R. Wiebe.

Most women — 72.6 percent — chose to view the ultrasound, and 86.3 percent of them rated it as a positive experience.

However, “None of the women changed her mind about having the abortion after having seen the (ultrasound),” the authors said.

Rochelle Tafolla, spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast in Houston, said that study tracks her state’s experience, which has had an ultrasound requirement similar to Wisconsin’s since January 2012. The Texas Policy Evaluation Project surveyed all registered abortion providers in the state and women in abortion clinic waiting rooms in six cities.

In all, 318 women were surveyed, with 72 percent choosing to look at the ultrasound, according to the study completed in December.

“Before the consultation visit, 89 percent of women reported being extremely confident or confident in their decision to have an abortion,” the study found. “Following the consultation visit and ultrasound, the proportion reporting being extremely confident or confident in their decision was unchanged (89 percent).”

http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/legislation-requiring-ultrasounds-before-abortion-multiply-but-their-impact-is/article_7f93646b-dd79-5db5-9baa-02e2b550ad3e.html

So no, to a woman who has already decided to abort, it isn't going to change her mind.

I'm not talking about women getting an ultrasound to check for foetal abnormalities. I am talking about women who are being forced to have an ultrasound in the bid that it will make them change their minds about aborting. Women who look at those images are not changing their minds.

I'm not even going to touch on the fact that such forced ultrasound requirements is a direct violation and intrusion of Government into a private and confidential matter between a woman and her doctor, forces a delay in obtaining an abortion and in some cases, such as rape, can cause untold trauma to the woman.

And this is one of the many reasons I do not agree with, nor identify with, the pro-life nutters. Admittedly, a woman on the poverty line should probably consider her situation BEFORE getting pregnant... but if she does, and she wants to keep the baby, should she not be given access to every possible resource to ensure the health and well being of herself and her child to be? Likewise, if she decides she cannot afford to have a child, shouldn't she have access to every possible resource to help her out, ranging from financial assistance to adoption and even abortion?
*Sigh*

Admittedly, I think there comes a point in financial planning where you should be able to look at your situation and realize having a child isn't appropriate right now... trust me, I should know; my wife and I are there, right now. We had expected to be able to have a family by now... but doing so is impractical. We REFUSE to have a child knowing we could not properly support and care for one... ironically enough, if we were to have a child, we could, quite possibly, qualify for government assistance... yet because we are responsible adults and have NOT had a child we could not readily support, we are considered to be "making too much" for support. A delicious, if bitter, irony.
So you are exercising your choice on when to have a child....

How lovely for you.

Other women deserve the exact same options when it comes to choice, even after she falls pregnant.

So how do you decide which scientists to believe? When it is convenient for your case? When they support your cause? How do you decide which is "truth"?

Indeed... you should not be surprised. After all, the pursuit of the truth is the only thing I have ever been after.
I will give you a really big hint..

If the so called scientists are being hosted on a news site that claims gays, gay marriage, abortion, cloning (still.. *chortle*) is some part of global conspiracy conflict against Christian values and that the site operates to combat and work to stem the tide of this 'conflict', it's pretty much a good indication that it's time to turn around and leave as fast as your proverbial feet can carry you.

Interesting... do you carefully screen your sources to make sure they only support your point? Or do you occasionally post sources that contradict your views as well, as a show that you recognize science is eternally ongoing?
If I am unable to find a scientific source that supports my view, then I stop claiming that it does and I certainly do not resort to Christian global conspiracy sites claiming gay marriage and gays are going to destroy the world.

Again, why should it matter the source so long as they have provided sources and citations?
Umm their sources tend to be other religious pro-life anti-abortion sites, authors, etc..

I'll put it this way. It would be akin to my claiming that there is a black hole in the center of the Earth and linking Victor's thread and his claims as proof and evidence of this..

There are always synthetic feathers (it is amazing what one can do with plastic fibers nowadays, especially with plant-based plastics)
It scares me that you know this about synthetic feathers.

Then stop acting like the label.
Thing is, I never have. I have never done anything out of hatred towards women:

Merriam Webster said:
Definition of MISOGYNIST

: a person who hates women—compare misandrist
—misogynist adjective
—mi·sog·y·ny noun, plural mi·sog·y·nies
Yeah... I do not hate women. As my wife could tell you that I'm actually rather violently inclined towards those that harm women, especially out of violence. It is my personal belief that one should never raise his hand to a woman in anger, and that the bare minimum of force should be used should the need to defend yourself from one arise.

Sorry. I should have used conspiracy instead. Since you apparently believe that it is the "pro-abortionists" who are defining pre-natal studies on foetal pain for their nefarious means.
Except that is exactly what the conflict is - they have proven the pain receptors are there, proven that the brain is developed enough to recognize pain, they have even proven that the pain centers of the brain activate when a fetus is subjected to a noxious input... their big question is, in essence, two fold: Is pain a physical (reflexive) response, or is it an emotional response, and is the fetus "conscious" enough to form an emotional response. To the first, I would say pain is a physical response to damaging stimuli, not an emotional response. To the second, I can't answer that - I would think the sense of "self" isn't developed enough for an emotional response... but they have shown in coma patients that the pain centers light up just the same.

If you do not like the term, then stop acting like it.
See above.

I did say exactly what I meant.

You decided to infer that I meant "men" and become offended.
The only thing I'm offended about is the twisting and spindoctoring of facts that keeps happening.

You are in favour of women having safe and affordable access to all health care options up to a point. Beyond that point, then you do not believe those options should be fully available to her.
I simply believe that if she has waited that long, and allowed the fetus to develop and grow for that length of time... perhaps she should have a reason for the sudden desire to terminate it, especially knowing how much more dangerous and complicated it is.

As a result, you are still unable to answer or deal with the question in the OP:

How does one manage the conflict of two equally protected people when one must assert authority over another's very person?
Simply - with logic and reason. Up until the point of personhood, the mother has every right to abort without needing to provide justification. After that point (which, IMHO, isn't until the 7th or 8th month) a simple reason should be given, and the alternatives at least explained. If it is a medical reason (danger to the mother, fetus unlikely to survive, etc) then yeah, do the abortion without any further questions. If it's a matter of being able to afford to raise a child, provide information on the various assistance programs that exist as well as the option of adoption. At that point, if she is still insistent upon having an abortion, make sure she is fully aware of the potential risks, but if she wishes do it. If it's a simple matter of "I don't want it"... as much as I would claim, at that point, that there is an air of irresponsibility (both for waiting that long and for getting pregnant when you didn't want a child in the first place), do the same as if it is a financial concern - provide the alternatives, explain the risks. If she still insists... fine, do it.

It isn't so much that I want to ban it altogether... I just feel it is unnecessary in a lot of cases where better alternatives exist.

So after the 27 weeks, the point where the foetus attains personhood in your opinion, what happens to the mother's personhood? How do you manage the conflict between the mother and the foetus at that point? The very fact that you wish to impose restrictions of any sort means that you have deemed that the mother's rights become secondary based on your personal beliefs that she may have simply waited that long to make her decision because she is somewhat irresponsible, even though you were provided with more than enough information now to realise why women are being made to wait that long.
The mothers personhood must still be given consideration, but so should the baby. As above, I don't feel that, after that point, abortion is necessarily the best "go to" option, especially given the alternatives. I will concede though that, so long as she is making an educated decision and has considered the alternatives, then it is, ultimately, her choice. However, I don't like that so many people seem intent to "pressure" people, especially young teens, into abortion.

Your next comments prove my point:

If she accepts her responsibility for it and decides to abort, even after 27 weeks after not being able to access one earlier due to how difficult it is to obtain one earlier on in many parts of the US, what is it to you and your personhood beliefs?

You keep skirting this issue. Each time we bring it up to you, retreat behind the emotive language of 'it's a feeling baby' and using terminology like 'killing a baby' or even alluding to murder to avoid answering the main question.

What happens to the mother's rights and her control over her body once she has reached that 27 weeks?
See above.

Which is actually at full term. At 27 weeks, the foetus cannot survive without extraordinary measures to keep it alive.

Viability is a very vague term. A child born at 27 weeks is open to so many risks, blindness, infection, and developmental issues, because it is not developed enough to be able to survive outside the womb without such extraordinary measures.

If you are going to argue personhood at the point of viability, then viability starts at 24 weeks. The risks to the foetus survival if born then is even greater.
To me it isn't just a matter of viability (as you say, this is possible at 24 weeks, possibly sooner given medical technology such as artificial incubators and such). I still believe, based on what I have seen, that the fetus can, in fact feel pain. Not only that, but this late in the game the chance of the abortion failing, especially if an extraction technique is not used (it did rather surprise me to learn there were abortion techniques that, basically, simply caused a stillbirth to occur) and causing severe deformation and other complications upon birth. Comparing those risks with, say, simply putting the child up for adoption... it seems to me like it would make more sense to carry to term, give birth, and give the child up, assuming there are no medical issues at play.

Well the problem cannot be tackled if people keep insisting on avoiding the questions that go to the very heart of the problem.

We've been at this "problem" here for nearly 2 years and in that time, no one has been able to explain what happens to the mother's rights if her very personhood is in direct competition to a "person" existing inside her body. If you curtail her rights to her body, if you prevent her from asserting her authority over her body once personhood is given to the foetus, then her rights and her personhood become secondary to the 'person' living inside her. So how " do you manage this the conflict of two equally protected people when one must assert it's authority over another's very person?"..

And as the OP clearly states, assigning personhood to a foetus is creating a new class of "person" which by the very definition of "person" carries with it its own legally binding rights - in other words, if you assign personhood to a foetus, then its rights become equal to that of the mother. It is then entitled to all the legal protections and rights you enjoy as a "person". As such, you are now creating a new class of "person". However this "person" resides inside another legally recognised person. By that very definition, one's rights cannot be equal. How can the foetus maintain and assert its inalienable if these rights are in direct competition against the person in which it is residing?

I have to ask, though, why would it be so? As far as I can tell, the primary reasons for a late term abortion seem to be among those less financially stable coming to realize they cannot afford a child... in which case, wouldn't adoption be a better option?

There is no scientifically certain proof that a foetus at 27 weeks is able to consciously feel pain or be aware of it. There is proof that its withdrawal from stimuli is more instinctive and not because it is in there going "ouchies that hurts" - in other words, there is no proof that it has an emotional response to the pain. Why is emotional response important to pain? You can try to claim that this lack of proof that it is conscious of pain is because you believe the supposed pro-abortion lobby has apparently corrupted scientists by shouting loudly to demand that they claim that pain response is emotional as well, but that does not make your brand of woo woo valid. Here is a what actual scientists and doctors say about pain and how and why it interacts with the emotional response so that we feel the pain:

It has been shown in cancer patients[1] that the affective component of pain can be completely blocked by frontal lobectomy. Lobectomized patients still register severe pain, but it doesn’t ‘‘bother’’ them. Pain can thus be viewed as merely
a ‘‘signal’’ that something is wrong somewhere in the body, until it reaches the emotional brain, where this signal becomes what we feel as pain.

There is no evidence that this occurs in newborns.

As for your coma study that you linked:

Researchers who did the scans in Belgium say it justifies giving pain relief to all patients in this "minimally conscious state" (MCS).

"These findings might be objective evidence of a potential pain perception capacity in patients with MCS, which supports the idea that these patients need painkilling treatment," write Steven Laureys and his colleagues at the Coma Science Group of the Cyclotron Research Centre at the University of Liege in The Lancet Neurology.

But they found much less evidence that "brain-dead" coma patients in a so called persistent vegetative state (PVS) react to pain.

Does not mean that a foetus is capable of the same thing. Still no proof that a foetus has developed the emotional ability to respond to pain as a born and fully developed person in a minimally conscious state responds to pain.

And this is what I meant above - we are trying to define pain. To me, pain is the physical aspect of it... the emotional response is just that, an emotional response. The immediate desire to remove ones self from the source of the pain is an instinctive and autonomous action. The emotive response is what you learn from it, the thing that keeps you (or tries to keep you) from repeating the action that caused you pain.

If it was conscious and able to perceive pain as you seem to argue it can, then the pain it would experience in natural childbirth would be so great that the trauma would cause undue permanent damage and possibly induce a heart attack or stroke in the foetus.
How do you figure? Is it because of the action of being forced through the birth canal? While I have no links readily available (I will see if I can find some), I recall reading before that during childbirth, fetal heartrate and other vital statistics taken during and immediately after birth indicate the possibility that the child does feel pain as it travels through the birth canal. The interesting thing is, though, that these same changes in vital signs have been noted in fetus's still within the womb.

You need to keep your woo woo conspiracy theories out of the non-woo woo sub-forums.

There is no scientific evidence to support your beliefs. It's not because of a conspiracy from "pro-abortionists" controlling the language of the debate. But because there is no actual proof.
There will likely never be any actual "proof" on it either way, simply because, as stated, something like this can only be measured through non-definitive means. We KNOW the pain centers of the brain react... but because of how little we understand consciousness, we don't know if the baby can "feel" it, if it is a purely reflexive action, or if it is something else entirely. My stance; since we know the pain receptors function, the nerves transmit, and the brain receives, I would prefer to err on the side of caution and say yes, the fetus DOES feel it.

Additional studies I have found on the matter:
Dr. Marc Van de Velde said:
1. Van de Velde, 2006, p.234, col.1, para.3, “It is becoming increasingly clear that experiences of pain will be ‘remembered’ by the developing nervous system, perhaps for the entire life of the individual.22,33 These findings should focus the attention of clinicians on the long-term impact of early painful experiences, and highlight the urgent need for developing therapeutic strategies for the management of neonatal and fetal pain.”

Van de Velde M, Jani J, De Buck F, Deprest J. Fetal pain perception and pain management. Seminars in Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. (2006) 232-236.
22 Vanhalto S, van Nieuwenhuizen O. Fetal Pain? Brain & Development. 22 (2000) 145-150.
33 Anand KJS. Pain, plasticity, and premature birth: a prescription for permanent suffering? Nature Medicine. 6 (2000) 971-973.

http://www.nrlc.org/uploads/fetalpain/AnandPainReport.pdf
Dr. Kanwaljeet S. Anand said:
It is myy opinion that the human fetus possesses the ability to experience pain from 20 weeks of gestation, if not earlier, and the pain perceived by a fetus is possibly more intense than that perceived by term newborns or older children.
Note - Dr. Kanwaljeet S. Anand holds the following titles:
MBBS – Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College, University of Indore, Indore, India
DPhil – Jesus College, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
FAAP – American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, IL
FRCPCH – Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, London, United Kingdom
FCCM – American College of Critical Care Medicine, Anaheim, California
Rather impressive all said and done.

Dr. Mark A. Rosen said:
Rosen, 2009, p131-132, “Although we do not know exactly when the fetus can experience pain, noxious stimulation during fetal life causes a stress response, which could have both short- and long-term adverse effects on the developing central nervous system.”

Mark A. Rosen, “Anesthesia for Fetal Surgery and Other Intrauterine Procedures,” in Chesnut’s Obstetric Anesthesia: Principles and Practice, ed. David H. Chestnut et al (Philadelphia: Mosby, 2009), 131-132.

Van de Velde, 2012, “This nociceptive stimulation of the fetus also has the potential for longer-term effects, so there is a need for fetal analgesic treatment.”

Marc Van de Velde & Frederik De Buck, Fetal and Maternal Analgesia/Anesthesia for Fetal Procedures. Fetal Diagn Ther 31(4) (2012) 201-9.

I hope those are... official and unbiased enough representations for you, Bells?

Umm... The scientific articles you provided clearly state there is no evidence or proof that a foetus is able to emotionally recognise and thus, feel "pain". The only article you linked that claims they can is from a pro-life anti-abortion, anti-gay and into the full blown gays, gay marriage, abortion, cloning (again, *chortle*) is an international conflict against Christian family values..
Fine... if you wish to dismiss those, then see the above referenced scholarly articles.

I don't. But I do blame the men and women wholly unconnected to her who try to enforce their personal beliefs on her uterus.
Fair 'nuff

Here is what research says about forcing women who choose to abort their foetuses to have an ultra-sound beforehand in a bid to change their mind.
So no, to a woman who has already decided to abort, it isn't going to change her mind.
Uhm... okay?

I'm not talking about women getting an ultrasound to check for foetal abnormalities. I am talking about women who are being forced to have an ultrasound in the bid that it will make them change their minds about aborting. Women who look at those images are not changing their minds.
Well, again, i don't think that doctors should be pressuring them either way... that isn't their place or what their job is there for.

How long does an ultrasound take? I don't understand how it forces a delay in anything to be honest... I mean, when I went with my mother when they had the ultrasound of my little brother done, the whole process took... I dunno, maybe an hour or two tops? Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

So you are exercising your choice on when to have a child....

How lovely for you.

Other women deserve the exact same options when it comes to choice, even after she falls pregnant.
Again, though, wouldn't an ounce of prevention be worth more than the pound of "cure"?

I will give you a really big hint..

If the so called scientists are being hosted on a news site that claims gays, gay marriage, abortion, cloning (still.. *chortle*) is some part of global conspiracy conflict against Christian values and that the site operates to combat and work to stem the tide of this 'conflict', it's pretty much a good indication that it's time to turn around and leave as fast as your proverbial feet can carry you.
Fair enough, but I expect you to do the same. On that vein, what is your response to the studies and citations above?

If I am unable to find a scientific source that supports my view, then I stop claiming that it does and I certainly do not resort to Christian global conspiracy sites claiming gay marriage and gays are going to destroy the world.

Umm their sources tend to be other religious pro-life anti-abortion sites, authors, etc..

I'll put it this way. It would be akin to my claiming that there is a black hole in the center of the Earth and linking Victor's thread and his claims as proof and evidence of this.
Fair enough - accepted and noted.

It scares me that you know this about synthetic feathers.

*smirks* Actually, it was inferred from my time practicing archery. Real feathers for fletching are... stupid expensive. Given that one of my favorite local dives (Neato Burrito) utilizes only plastic cups made entirely from plant-based plastics, and that I have seen carpets and other fibrous materials made using plastic, I figure making plastic-based feathers from plant matter is probably feasible.

Truth be told, I'm not sensitive enough for feathers to have much of an impact on me... much to Alerya's dismay :p

Bells -

You cannot decry Kitta's use of insults against you when you start these things and justify it as "if you don't like it, stop acting like it". You are not the judge of his personality or behaviour on this forum. Nor can you pretend that you and Tiassa have been diligently at this problem of personhood and just can't put your finger on what the evidence for it is. This is a dodge. You can debate the evidence that's been presented; you cannot hide your head in the sand and pretend you haven't seen it. Ellen Wiebe, who you cite, is an abortion provider and so cannot really be said to be impartial either. This is to be expected, given your nearly constant misrepresentation of his stance; a series of deliberate falsifications of his points that exceeds any absurd notions on the viability of "political twists of the knife". You are making the discussion untenable - not because you have anything to say, but because you want nothing to be said. This is especially ironic given that the other members of this discussion are actually arguing for more liberal thresholds on the abortion deadline than presently exist almost anywhere. I would pity you, but not in context of the harm you are doing. Call that an analogy if you like; I couldn't care what staged response you might choose to play at now.

Oh yeah; forgot to mention...

In my haste, I completely forgot to dismantle the OP statement:

Bells said:

... must?

huge.104.520124.JPG

To summarize the above evidence for fetal pain:

1. Van de Velde, 2006, p.234, col.1, para.3, “It is becoming increasingly clear that experiences of pain will be ‘remembered’ by the developing nervous system, perhaps for the entire life of the individual.22,33 These findings should focus the attention of clinicians on the long-term impact of early painful experiences, and highlight the urgent need for developing therapeutic strategies for the management of neonatal and fetal pain.”

Van de Velde M, Jani J, De Buck F, Deprest J. Fetal pain perception and pain management. Seminars in Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. (2006) 232-236.
22 Vanhalto S, van Nieuwenhuizen O. Fetal Pain? Brain & Development. 22 (2000) 145-150.
33 Anand KJS. Pain, plasticity, and premature birth: a prescription for permanent suffering? Nature Medicine. 6 (2000) 971-973.

Dr. Kanwaljeet S. Anand said:
It is myy opinion that the human fetus possesses the ability to experience pain from 20 weeks of gestation, if not earlier, and the pain perceived by a fetus is possibly more intense than that perceived by term newborns or older children.
MBBS – Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College, University of Indore, Indore, India

Dr. Mark A. Rosen said:
Rosen, 2009, p131-132, “Although we do not know exactly when the fetus can experience pain, noxious stimulation during fetal life causes a stress response, which could have both short- and long-term adverse effects on the developing central nervous system.”

Mark A. Rosen, “Anesthesia for Fetal Surgery and Other Intrauterine Procedures,” in Chesnut’s Obstetric Anesthesia: Principles and Practice, ed. David H. Chestnut et al (Philadelphia: Mosby, 2009), 131-132.

Van de Velde, 2012, “This nociceptive stimulation of the fetus also has the potential for longer-term effects, so there is a need for fetal analgesic treatment.”

Marc Van de Velde & Frederik De Buck, Fetal and Maternal Analgesia/Anesthesia for Fetal Procedures. Fetal Diagn Ther 31(4) (2012) 201-9.

Further articles:

Lee, 2005, p.951, col.1, para.3, “When long-term fetal well-being is a central consideration, evidence of fetal pain is unnecessary to justify fetal anaesthesia and analgesia because they serve other purposes unrelated to pain reduction, including … (3) preventing hormonal stress responses associated with poor surgical outcomes in neonates71,72; and (4) preventing possible adverse effects on long-term neurodevelopment and behavioral responses to pain.73-75”

Note: Lee et al. believe that pain requires conscious cortical processing, which they deem unlikely until 29 or 30 weeks; nonetheless, they acknowledges this finding.

Lee SJ, Ralston HJP, Drey EA, Partridge, JC, Rosen, MA. A Systematic Multidisciplinary Review of the Evidence. Journal of the American Medical Association. 294:8 (2005) 947-954.

71Anand KJ, Hickey PR.Halothane-morphine compared with high-dose sufentanil for anesthesia and postoperative analgesia in neonatal cardiac surgery. New England Journal of Medicine. 326 (1992) 1-9.
72Anand KJ, Sippell WG, Aynsley-Green A. Randomised trial of fentanyl anaesthesia in preterm babies undergoing surgery: effects on the stress response. Lancet. 329 (1987) 62-66.
73Johnston CC, Stevens BJ. Experience in a neonatal intensive care unit affects pain response. Pediatrics. 98 (1996) 925-930.
74Taddio A, Katz J, Ilersich AL, Koren G. Effect of neonatal circumcision on pain response during subsequent routine vaccination. Lancet. 349 (1997) 599-603.
75Taylor A, Fisk NM, Glover V. Mode of delivery and subsequent stress response. Lancet. 355 (2000) 120.

This one isn't so much related to prenatal as it is simply an astounding bit of information (well, astonishing to me)
David B. Chamberlain Ph. D. said:
Prenatal Crying

Oddly enough, audible crying begins long before birth at 40 weeks, the earliest recorded cries from aborted fetuses dating from 21, 22, and 23 weeks (Humphrey, 1978). This means that a baby is capable of crying about half the time it is in the womb. Cries have been heard coming from inside the womb. This condition, vagitus uterinus (literally, "squalling in the womb"), is rare but well-authenticated. Stories about such squalling have been passed down from ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome.

In 1923, an American physician, George Ryder, heard the sound of a baby crying after he had applied traction with forceps. Listening via stethoscope his assistant and nurses said the sounds were "high and squealing, much like the mew of a kitten." This moving event led to a world literature search and discovery of reports in many languages: 131 cases between 1546 and 1941, reported by 114 authors. Analysis of these records showed that crying was almost always associated with obstetrical procedures. About 20% of the crying prenates had died-indicating the urgent nature of the cries (Ryder, 1943).

Eight additional reports, published since 1941, leave no doubt about the pain being expressed and who or what was causing it: a hand entering the uterus to bring down a leg, applications of forceps, injections of analgesia, inserting a catheter, or rupturing the amniotic sac. In one account, a mother, two doctors, and three midwives heard a baby cry five different times over a twelve hour period before labor began (Blair, 1965); they described it as "a startling and awesome event."

In three cases reported by a Belgian group (Thiery et al., 1973), one baby started crying after membranes were ruptured and the head was being displaced to drain fluid. Crying recurred six times at intervals of up to 20 seconds. She was delivered after a difficult vacuum extraction. The other two babies, presenting in breech position, began crying after rupture of membranes and when electrodes were being clipped to their bottoms. They continued to cry about six times during labor. Two of the three had initial Apgar scores of 3 and 6. (Strangely, these obstetricians concluded that crying is not a sign of fetal distress and has no adverse effect on the fetus.)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1999.tb08424.x/full
Vivette Glover Reader andNicholas M. Fisk Professor said:
It is not possible to measure pain directly in the fetus. Studies of stress responses can be used to give an index of the degree of trauma induced by different interventions, and also the response to analgesia or anaesthesia, but they do not indicate what the fetus actually experiences. The assessment of whether or when the fetus is likely to feel pain has to be based on an evaluation of the available anatomical and physiological evidence. The physical system for nociception is present and functional by 26 weeks and it seems likely that the fetus is capable of feeling pain from this stage. The first neurones to link the cortex with the rest of the brain are monoamine pathways, and reach the cortex from about 16 weeks of gestation. Their activation could be associated with unpleasant conscious experience, even if not pain. Thalamic fibres first penetrate the subplate zone at about 17 weeks of gestation, and the cortex at 20 weeks. These anatomical and physiological considerations are important, not only because of immediate suffering, but also because of possible long term adverse effects of this early experience. Research in these areas is urgently required.

This last one is pretty telling... here are the references used in the full report, which came to the conclusion above:
References
Crick F. The Astonishing Hypothesis. London : Simon and Schuster Ltd, 1994.
Greenfield SA. Journeys to the Centres of the Mind. Towards a Science of Consciousness. New York : WH Freeman, 1995.
Marin-Padilla M. Ontogenesis of the pyramidal cell of the mammalian neocortex and developmental cytoarchitectonics: a unifying theory. J Comp Neurol 1992; 321: 223–240.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(2399K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 110
Fitzgerald M. Development of pain pathways and mechanisms. In: AnandKIS & McGrathPJ, editors. Pain Research and Clinical Management. Vol5. Pain in Neonates. Amsterdam : Elsevier. 1993: 19–19.
Marin-Padilla M. Structural organisation of the human cerebral cortex prior to the appearance of the cortical plate. Anat Embryo1 1983; 168: 21–40.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 58
Kostovic I, Rakic P. Developmental history of the transient subplate zone in the visual and somatosensory cortex of the macaque monkey and human brain. J Comp Neurol 1990; 297: 441–470.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(4346K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 358
Mrzljak L, Uylings HBM, Kostovic I, van Eden CG. Prenatal development of neurones in the human prefrontal cortex. J Comp Neurol 1988; 271: 355–386.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(3688K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 124
Molliver M, Kostovic I, van der Loos H. The development of synapses in cerebral cortex of human fetus. Brain Res 1973; 50: 403–407.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 217
KostovicI, KnezevicS, WisniewskiHM, SpilichGJ, editors. Neurodevelopment, Aging and Cognition. Boston : Birkhauser, 1992.
Berger B, Verney C, Golman-Rakic PS. Prenatal monoamine innervation of the cerebral cortex: differences between rodents and primates. In: KostovicI, KnezevicS, WisniewskiHM, SpilichGJ, editors. Neurodevelopment, Ageing and Cognition. Berlin : Birkhauser: 1992: 18–18.
CrossRef
Zecevic N, Verney C. Development of the catecholamine neurons in human embryos and fetuses, with special emphasis on the innervation of the cerebral cortex. J Comp Neurol 1995; 351: 509–535.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(4088K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 65
Flower MJ. Neuromaturation of the human fetus. J Med Philos 1985;.
PubMed,Web of Science® Times Cited: 15
Klimach VJ, Cook RWI. Maturation of the neonatal somatosensory evoked response in preterm infants. Dev Med Child Neurol 1988; 30: 208–214.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(523K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 54
Hrbek A, Karlberg P, Olsson T. Development of visual and somatosensory evoked responses in pre-term newborn infants. Electmenceph Clin Neurophysiol 1973; 34: 225–232.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 109
Prechtl HF. Ultrasound studies of human fetal behaviour. Early Hum Dev 1985; 12: 91–98.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 42
De Vries J, Vissier G, Prechtl H. The emergence of fetal behaviour. Early Hum Dev 1982; 12: 301–322.
CrossRef
Hepper PG, Shahidullah BS. The development of fetal hearing. Fetal Mat Med Rev 1994; 6: 167–179.
CrossRef
Grunau RVE, Craig KD. Pain expression in neonates: facial action and cry. Pain 1987; 28: 395–410.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 339
Derbyshire SWG. Fetal stress responses. Lancet 1994; 344: 615.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 7
Derbyshire SWG, Furedi A. ‘Fetal pain’ is a misnomer. BMJ 1996; 313: 795.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS
Szawarski Z. Probably no pain in the absence of self. BMJ 1996; 313: 796–797.
Anand KJS, Brown MJ, Causon RC, Christofides ND, Bloom SR, Aynsley-Green A. Can the human neonate. mount an endocrine and metabolic response to surgery J Paediatr Surg 1985; 20: 41–48.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 115
Anand KJS, Hickey PR. Pain and its effects in the human neonate and fetus. N Engl J Med 1987; 317: 1321–1329.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 577
Glover V, Giannakoulopoulos X. Stress and pain in the fetus. In: Aynsley-GreenA, PlattW, Lloyd-ThomasAR. editors. Balliere's Clin Paediat. 1995: 495–495.
Giannakoulopoulos X, Sepulveda W, Kourtis P, Glover V, Fisk N. Fetal plasma cortisol and b-endorphin response to intrauterine needling. Lancer 1994; 344: 77–81.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 97
Giannakoulopoulos X, Teixeira J, Fisk N, Glover V. Human fetal and maternal noradrenaline responses to invasive procedures. Ped Res 1999; 45: 494–499.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 42
Teixeira J, Fogliani R, Giannakoulopoulos X, Glover V, Fisk N. Fetal haemodynamic stress response to invasive procedures. Lancet 1996; 347: 624.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 24
Teixeira J, Glover V, Fisk NM. Acute cerebral redistribution in response to invasive precedures in the human fetus. Am J Obster Gynecol 1999. In press.
CrossRef,Web of Science® Times Cited: 25
Nathanielsz PW. The role of basic science in preventing low birth weight. Future Child 1995; 5: 57–70.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 9
Sapolsky RM. Why stress is bad for your brain. Science 1996; 273: 749–750.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 528,ADS
Taddio A, Katz J, Ilersich AL, Koren G. Effect of neonatal circumcision on pain response during subsequent routine examination. Lancer 1997; 349: 599–603.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 349
Fitzgerald M, Millard C, Mchtosh N. Cutaneous hypersenstivity following peripheral tissue damage in newborn infants and its reversal with topical anaesthesia. Pain 1989; 39: 31–36.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 184
Reynolds ML, Fitzgerald M. Long-term sensory hyperinnervation following neonatal skin wounds. J Comp Neurol 1995; 358: 487–498.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(8666K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 88
Meaney M, Aitken DH. The effects of early postnatal handling on hippocampal glucocorticoid receptor concentrations: temporal parameters. Dev Brain Res 1985; 22: 301–304.
CrossRef,Web of Science® Times Cited: 85
Meaney M, Bhatnagar S, Diorio J et al. Molecular basis for the development of individual differences in the hypothalamic-pituitaryadrenal stress response. Cell Mol Neumbiol 1993; 13: 321–347.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 68
Fuji T, Horinaka M, Hata M. Functional effects of glucocorticoid exposure during fetal life. Prog Neumpsychopharmacol Biol Psychiat 1993; 17: 279–293.
CrossRef
Uno H, Lohmiller L, Thieme C et al. Brain damage induced by prenatal exposure to dexamethasone in fetal rhesus macaques. 1. Hip pocampus. Dev Brain Res 1990, 53: 157–167.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 245
Clarke AS, Wittwer DJ, Abbott DH, Schneider ML. Long term effects of prenatal stress on HPA reactivity in juvenile rhesus monkeys. Dev Psychobiol 1994; 27: 257–269.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(1028K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 118
Schneider ML, Coe CL, Lubach GR. Endocrine activation mimics the adverse effects of prenatal stress on the neufomotor development of the infant primate Dev Psychobiol 1992; 25: 427–439.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(923K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 78
Gitau R, Cameron A, Fisk NM, Glover V. Fetal exposure to mated cortisol. Lancet. 1998; 352: 707–708.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 104
Anand KW, Sippell WG, Schofield NM, Aynsley-Green A. Does halothane anaesthesia decrease the metabolic and endocrine stress responses of newborn infants undergoing operation BMJ 1988; 296: 668–672.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 70
Anand KJS, Hickey PR. Halothanemorphine compared with high dose sufenntanil for aneastheisa and postoperative analgesia in neonatal cardiac surgery. N Engl J Med 1992; 326: 1–9.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 340
de Lima J, Lloyd-Thomas AR, Howard RF, Sumner E, Quinn TM. Infant and neonatal pain: anaesthetists' perceptions and prescribing patterns. BMJ 1996; 313: 787.
CrossRef,PubMed,Web of Science® Times Cited: 45
Glover V, Fisk N. Do fetuses feel pain? We don't know; better to err on the safe side from mid-gestation. BMJ 1996; 313: 796.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 18
Bennett P. Fetal stress responses. Lancet 1994; 344: 615.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 2
Gulmezoglu AM, Mahomed K, Hofmeyr GJ, Nikodem VC, Kramer T. Fetal and maternal catecholamine levels at delivery. J Perinat Med 1996; 24: 687–691.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 4
Procianoy RS, Cecin SKG. The influence of labor and delivery on preterm fetal adrenal function. Acta Paediat Scand 1985; 74: 400–404.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(330K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 7
Tropper PJ, Warren WB, Jozak SM, Conwell IM, Stark RI, Goland RS. Corticotropin releasing hormone concentrations in umbilical cord blood of preterm fetuses. J Dev Physiol 1992; 18: 81–85.
PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 17
Hawdon JM, Ward Platt MP, Aynsley-Green A. Patterns of metabolic adaptation for preterm and term infants in the fist postnatal week Arch Dis Child 1992; 67: 357–365.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 99
Walters DV, Walters RE. The role of catecholamines in lung liquid absorption at birth. Ped Res 1978; 12: 239.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 292
Rothenberg SJ, Chicz-DeMet A, Schnaas L, Karchmer S, Salinas V, Guzman LA. Umbilical cord b-endorphin and early childhood motor development. Ear Hum Dev 1996; 46: 83–95.
Walco GA, Cassidy RC, Schechter NL. Pain, hurt and harm. N Eng J Med 1994; 331: 541–544.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 78
Furness M. Diagnostic potential of fetal renal biopsy. Prenar Diagn 1994; 14: 415.
Direct Link:
AbstractPDF(84K)ReferencesWeb of Science® Times Cited: 2
Commission of Enquiry into Fetal Sentience. Human sentience before birth. London : Care Trust, 1996.
Adzick NS, Harrison MR. Fetal surgical therapy. Lancer 1994; 343: 897–902.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 97
Sxto HH, Mann LI, Bhakthavathsalan A, Liu M, Inturrisi CE. Meperidine pharmacokinetics in the maternal-fetal unit. J Phannacol Exp Ther 1978; 206: 448–459.
Eisele J, We A. Newborn and maternal fentanyl levels at caesarean section. Anesth Analg 1982; 61: 179–180.
Web of Science® Times Cited: 10
Bakke O, Haam K. Time course of transplacental passage of diazepam: influence of injection-delivery interval on neonatal drug concentrations. Clin Pharmacokinet 1982; 7: 353–362.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 12
Guerre-Millo M, Rey E, Challier J, Turquais J, D'Athis PGO. Transfer in vitro of three benzodiazepines across the human placenta. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1979; 15: 171–173.
CrossRef,PubMed,CAS,Web of Science® Times Cited: 19
Wise, J. Fetuses cannot feel pain before 26 weeks. BMJ 1997; 315: 1111–0000.
CrossRef
Derbyshire S. Locating the beginnings of pain. Bioethics 1999; 13: 13: 897–902.

That is a rather impressive list... I would say this is pretty well researched.

Sorry if I sounded dire. I have a flu coming on. It waits to pounce.

At 27 weeks, it can. If we took dependence as a strict reason to deny personhood, we could as easily kill of masses of people on ventilators, or anyone who relies on another.

Well, how does a woman being raped two counties over affect me? Answer: it doesn't, outside my own principles.

Well, the seed argument is stupid for a start. But as to culture: a rationally-derived limit is our cultural prerogative in this matter, no worse than any other selection and probably miles better. Do we know the answer to personhood? I don't know that. I don't know that we can formulate it: how do I, humble scribe, know what anyone else experiences? How do I really know anyone else is a person at all, sentient and cognisant? I can't, probably. The best I can do is infer from the available evidence whether or not someone is a person. Evidence of that spark in the embryo suggests the onset of this state later in the third trimester, and that seems likely to me. I think there is as strong a social consensus around this point as one can expect in the Western world and that, for me, suggests they may be on to something.

I know you see limitations on abortion rights as force; maybe it is. But how is it different from any of the force that the rest of law applies? One does not do entirely as one wishes, for reasons that are often in greater evidence. It is the same here: one does not do entirely as one wishes, for reasons that are more obscure but no less compelling.

Thank you for your excellent post.

What abortion limitations would you like to see?

As for the rape analogy we can safely say there is a social and cultural consensus that rape is a crime whereas there that isn't the case with abortion. Interestingly enough I just learned of study that claims abortion rates are higher in countries where abortion is banned. I agree with you that fetal viability brings up a whole slew of arguments in LTA but that doesn't automatically grant a fetus in the third trimester "personhood". The US is on of four countries that allows for LTA and they have done so because the law doesn't recognize fetal viability to equate with personhood because if it did I imagine LTA would be considered murder. Instead what they decided during Roe vs. Wade is that the personhood of the mother outweighs the viability of the fetus. Roe vs Wade does protect the rights of a fetus after the point of viability, which occurs sometime after the 24th week of gestation. So LTA ARE restricted.

'In 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the constitutional right to privacy extends to the decision of a woman, in consultation with her physician, to terminate a pregnancy. The Court also determined, however, that this right is not absolute and it must be balanced against the state’s legitimate interest in protecting both the health of the pregnant woman and the developing human life. Therefore, according to Roe, the state’s interest in protecting potential life becomes compelling at the point of fetal viability (when the fetus has the capacity for sustained survival outside the uterus). States are allowed to, and indeed have, severely restricted access to abortion in the third-trimester, except, as the Supreme Court has ruled, when necessary to preserve the woman’s life or health. In subsequent cases, the Court made clear that viability is a medical determination, which varies with each pregnancy, and that it is the responsibility of the attending physician to make that determination. The Supreme Court has held that even after fetal viability, states may not prohibit abortions “necessary to preserve the life or health of the mother;” “health” in this context includes both physical and mental health; only the physician, in the course of evaluating the specific circumstances of an individual case, can define what constitutes“health” and when a fetus is viable; and states cannot require additional physicians to confirm the physician’s judgment that the woman’s life or health is at risk.' http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2009/06/02/lateterm-abortions-facts-stories-and-ways-help/

Viability of the fetus is a medical term not a legal one. This is how the law is defined in terms of LTA. What is it about the way the law is written that you find unsatisfactory? Its completely designed around the health of the mother.

geoff said:
... must?
Of course. That's inherent in the physical situation. Must it is.

So the failure to deal with the issue has direct bearing. The people who are trying to define a fertilized egg as a separate person due complete personal protection by the State are not dealing with the issue - they are pretending it does not exist, and thereby agreeing to abrogate the basic rights of the woman involved.

Well, again, i don't think that doctors should be pressuring them either way
But you are not opposing the State pressuring them?

geoff said:
Its mother. Its carrier. Its life force. The person who decides.
You're good on two for four there.
I'm counting at least three for four. An interesting, say revealing?, miscount on your part - the basis for the problem with this discussion, perhaps.

To summarize the above evidence for fetal pain:

Further articles:

This one isn't so much related to prenatal as it is simply an astounding bit of information (well, astonishing to me)

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1999.tb08424.x/full

This last one is pretty telling... here are the references used in the full report, which came to the conclusion above:

That is a rather impressive list... I would say this is pretty well researched.

Except its most outdated research.

Two Working Party reports have been released by the RCOG (Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists), UK: 1. Fetal Awareness, and 2. Termination of Pregnancy of Fetal Abnormality. The first one updates the previous report published in 1997, while the second replaces the 1996 report.

Fetus Cannot Feel Pain Before 24 Weeks, Says Royal College Of Obstetricians And Gynaecologists, UK, 2010

To reflect both clinical practice breakthroughs and new research finding, both original documents were completely re-written. These two new reports contain data for clinicians (doctors), researchers and healthcare professionals and the report on Fetal Awareness includes a new chapter with practical information and advice to women and parents.

The main findings for Fetal Awareness include:

The fetus cannot feel pain before 24 weeks because the connections in the fetal brain are not mature enough.

While the fetus is in the chemical environment of the uterus (womb), it is in a state of induced sleep and is unconscious - according to evidence examined by the Working Party.

The Working Party concluded that because the 24 week-old fetus has no awareness nor can it feel pain, using analgesia is of no benefit.

As far as the short and long-term effects of the use of fetal analgesia post-24 weeks, more research is needed.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/193116.php

Except its most outdated research.

Two Working Party reports have been released by the RCOG (Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists), UK: 1. Fetal Awareness, and 2. Termination of Pregnancy of Fetal Abnormality. The first one updates the previous report published in 1997, while the second replaces the 1996 report.

Fetus Cannot Feel Pain Before 24 Weeks, Says Royal College Of Obstetricians And Gynaecologists, UK, 2010

To reflect both clinical practice breakthroughs and new research finding, both original documents were completely re-written. These two new reports contain data for clinicians (doctors), researchers and healthcare professionals and the report on Fetal Awareness includes a new chapter with practical information and advice to women and parents.

The main findings for Fetal Awareness include:

The fetus cannot feel pain before 24 weeks because the connections in the fetal brain are not mature enough.

While the fetus is in the chemical environment of the uterus (womb), it is in a state of induced sleep and is unconscious - according to evidence examined by the Working Party.

The Working Party concluded that because the 24 week-old fetus has no awareness nor can it feel pain, using analgesia is of no benefit.

As far as the short and long-term effects of the use of fetal analgesia post-24 weeks, more research is needed.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/193116.php

Good to know... but it seems like, once again, this almost seems to fall more to a redefinition of "pain" than it does the physical capacity for the fetus to feel and react to noxious stimuli... I dunno, I agree - more research is needed, but how do you "prove" something this subjective one way or another when the subject is incapable of providing answers themselves?

Thing is, I never have. I have never done anything out of hatred towards women:

Yeah... I do not hate women. As my wife could tell you that I'm actually rather violently inclined towards those that harm women, especially out of violence. It is my personal belief that one should never raise his hand to a woman in anger, and that the bare minimum of force should be used should the need to defend yourself from one arise.
Bitch, Queen Bitch, Hyena, Little Miss, Little Princess, Miss Lollipop..

These terms are demeaning and as I kept explaining to you, were not welcomed but you kept doing it repeatedly.

When I argue with a sexist, there's an inevitable point at which he will call me "sweetheart". (I like to think of it as shorthand for "you're winning".) If I'm really making him feel foolish, he may resort to "bitch". "Ugly" is the last refuge of the hopelessly destroyed.

I've been writing about feminism on the internet long enough that these names don't really bother me. But nothing is more grating than when a man I don't know - in comments, Twitter or real life - calls me "Jessie".

It may seem odd that I'd prefer a curse to a cutesy nickname. Like most things men call women when they want to diminish them, "Jessie" is meant to remind me that no matter what I accomplish – the number of books written, articles published, speeches given – I'm still "just a girl". But it's the overly-familiar infantilization that really makes my skin crawl. Very creepy Uncle Chester.

As it turns out, it's not just me. Behind every female with an opinion is a man with a sneering nickname for her.

The good news is that no matter what they call women – bitch, slut or "Jessie" – name-calling is all sexists have in a debate. Calling us something other than what we are does not make us less right, and it won't make them more just. When misogynists resort to name-calling, they're labeling themselves more than they ever could disprove us.

To reiterate, so that you understand.. When you refer to me by these labels, such as Princess, Little Missy, Bitch, Love, and all the other ones you used, they were not welcomed and I let you know each time they were not. Instead of respecting my wishes, you kept doing it. I am not your love, your bitch, your little princess, your little Miss, your little miss lollipop and all the other ridiculous names you decided to call me because I dared to challenge you. You used those terms specifically to remind me of my place, or the place you seem to feel women belong in. And you made sure I knew it, because each time you did it, I told you how it was being perceived and you kept calling me even more misogynistic and sexist demeaning names. Why? Because you went for the terms and names that reduced me to the role of a little girl, which I should not need to remind you is sexist and demeaning. When you reduce a woman to the role of a little girl with such condescending terms, it is sexist and misogynistic.

I'll put it this way.

If you did this in the workplace, if a woman challenged something you did in the work place and you started to call her that, you could very well find yourself on your arse out on the street.

It isn't acceptable. It certainly is not acceptable to keep doing it when you are told by the recipient of those names that it is unwelcome, not acceptable and especially after I told you how they were being received and perceived.

Your defense of your behaviour is tantamount to racists who claim they have black friends too when they are accused of racism.

Do you understand now?

Except that is exactly what the conflict is - they have proven the pain receptors are there, proven that the brain is developed enough to recognize pain, they have even proven that the pain centers of the brain activate when a fetus is subjected to a noxious input... their big question is, in essence, two fold: Is pain a physical (reflexive) response, or is it an emotional response, and is the fetus "conscious" enough to form an emotional response. To the first, I would say pain is a physical response to damaging stimuli, not an emotional response. To the second, I can't answer that - I would think the sense of "self" isn't developed enough for an emotional response... but they have shown in coma patients that the pain centers light up just the same.
The scientific research clearly states that there is no proof that a foetus is able to respond to pain as you would respond to pain.

They showed that a foetus reacts to stimuli but they also clearly state that they have no proof if this reaction is reflexive or if it is capable of having the emotional response and recognition that it is "pain".

So why are you still asserting that a foetus can feel and be conscious of pain?

The only thing I'm offended about is the twisting and spindoctoring of facts that keeps happening.
Excuse me, but you are taking scientific research and inferring things from it that is clearly not there based on your own emotional needs and desires. The researches even openly state that there is no evidence to support what you are attempting to assert as fact.

So please stop doing it.

I simply believe that if she has waited that long, and allowed the fetus to develop and grow for that length of time... perhaps she should have a reason for the sudden desire to terminate it, especially knowing how much more dangerous and complicated it is.
What the hell are you on about now?

You were provided with ample evidence that women don't just get to that point and simply change their minds.

So why are you still continuing with this fallacious misrepresentation?

Simply - with logic and reason. Up until the point of personhood, the mother has every right to abort without needing to provide justification. After that point (which, IMHO, isn't until the 7th or 8th month) a simple reason should be given, and the alternatives at least explained. If it is a medical reason (danger to the mother, fetus unlikely to survive, etc) then yeah, do the abortion without any further questions. If it's a matter of being able to afford to raise a child, provide information on the various assistance programs that exist as well as the option of adoption. At that point, if she is still insistent upon having an abortion, make sure she is fully aware of the potential risks, but if she wishes do it. If it's a simple matter of "I don't want it"... as much as I would claim, at that point, that there is an air of irresponsibility (both for waiting that long and for getting pregnant when you didn't want a child in the first place), do the same as if it is a financial concern - provide the alternatives, explain the risks. If she still insists... fine, do it.

It isn't so much that I want to ban it altogether... I just feel it is unnecessary in a lot of cases where better alternatives exist.
You are still skirting the issue and still incapable of answering the question.

If you deem someone a person, then by that very definition, they gain full protection and rights. In other words, the very moment personhood is granted to the foetus, then it gains full protection and all the inalienable rights that a person has, this is protected under your Constitution and its human rights must be protected. It is then deemed a person.. Completely separate from the mother.

How do you do this when it is still existing inside of another person who also has the exact same Constitutional and inalienable rights? Once you assign personhood to a foetus, then the mother has absolutely no rights, even if she is sick, even if she was raped, even if she was coerced. The very moment you arbitrarily apply personhood rights to a foetus, then the mother is immediately denied any rights over her body that may infringe on the rights of the "person" residing in her uterus. Therefore, when you happily claim that 'of course there would be exemptions'.. Once you apply personhood, once that foetus reaches 27 weeks and is classified legally as a "person", then by its "personhood", the exemptions would be an infringement on its rights. So even, for example, if the mother is diagnosed with cancer at 27 weeks, or she develops a form of pregnancy cancer that women can develop during pregnancy, you cannot even do anything that could even harm the foetus. Since a c-section or inducing labour at 27 weeks increases the risk of mortality or risks injury or permanent injury to a premature baby, then you are instantly breaking the law because you are infringing on the rights of the "that person" who is the foetus.

I'll put it this way. You are a person. By that very definition, you have rights to be free from being harmed, endangered, killed. So this means that if someone falls ill, they have no right to kill you for your organs, for example. You have constitutionally protected rights and a Bill of Rights that protects and enshrines your "personhood". Once you declare a foetus a "person", it obtains the exact same rights you have and all the legal protections that come with it.

Understand now?

The mothers personhood must still be given consideration, but so should the baby. As above, I don't feel that, after that point, abortion is necessarily the best "go to" option, especially given the alternatives. I will concede though that, so long as she is making an educated decision and has considered the alternatives, then it is, ultimately, her choice. However, I don't like that so many people seem intent to "pressure" people, especially young teens, into abortion.
Refer to above.

To me it isn't just a matter of viability (as you say, this is possible at 24 weeks, possibly sooner given medical technology such as artificial incubators and such). I still believe, based on what I have seen, that the fetus can, in fact feel pain. Not only that, but this late in the game the chance of the abortion failing, especially if an extraction technique is not used (it did rather surprise me to learn there were abortion techniques that, basically, simply caused a stillbirth to occur) and causing severe deformation and other complications upon birth. Comparing those risks with, say, simply putting the child up for adoption... it seems to me like it would make more sense to carry to term, give birth, and give the child up, assuming there are no medical issues at play.
And the very moment you assign personhood, even medical issues will prevent the mother from aborting.

And really, this whole pain thing.. Once more, there is no scientific evidence for it. So please, for the love of God, stop carrying on as if it is fact. There is no proof.

And also, you're so hung up on the pain thing, do you think all births should now be via c-sections? Because natural childbirth = the cervix and vagina squeezing the baby's skull and body in ways you don't even want to imgaine - think of squeezing your head in a vice until the plates of your skull moved.. If the "baby" is conscious of pain and feels pain as you seem to believe, despite scientific evidence that clearly prove there is no proof of your beliefs, few babies would come out of the woman's vagina without suffering in some severe way, if not stroke or heart attack, from the pain of their passage through the woman's vagina.

I have to ask, though, why would it be so? As far as I can tell, the primary reasons for a late term abortion seem to be among those less financially stable coming to realize they cannot afford a child... in which case, wouldn't adoption be a better option?
/Facepalm desk..

Just refer to above.

I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse or you really are incapable of understanding this discussion and what personhood actually means.

And this is what I meant above - we are trying to define pain. To me, pain is the physical aspect of it... the emotional response is just that, an emotional response. The immediate desire to remove ones self from the source of the pain is an instinctive and autonomous action. The emotive response is what you learn from it, the thing that keeps you (or tries to keep you) from repeating the action that caused you pain.
And some people, they really believe there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and if they make a wish while blowing out candles on their birthday cake, that it will come true. But there is no evidence to support it.

How do you figure? Is it because of the action of being forced through the birth canal? While I have no links readily available (I will see if I can find some), I recall reading before that during childbirth, fetal heartrate and other vital statistics taken during and immediately after birth indicate the possibility that the child does feel pain as it travels through the birth canal. The interesting thing is, though, that these same changes in vital signs have been noted in fetus's still within the womb.
Okay..

Put your head in a vice.

And then get someone to turn the lever. Let me know how well you cope with the pain once your skull plates start moving.

A vaginal birth squeezes the baby and reshapes their heads. If they were capable of conscious pain as you seem to believe, then that level of pain (no, really think about passing a smallish watermelon through something the size of the hole in a bagel and tell me that squeezing that watermelon shaped head to fit would not be excruciating for the one sporting the watermelon sized head?), the really.. It would suffer a stroke or heart attack, because the rush of hormones through its body as it tried to cope with that pain would kill it (think of the guy who suffered the botched execution and died of a heart attack later after suffering excrutiating pain for so long).. It can take a very long time for the baby to pass down through the cervix and down through the vagina. Imagine that squeeze and what it would be like if they could feel pain as you believe they can?

There will likely never be any actual "proof" on it either way, simply because, as stated, something like this can only be measured through non-definitive means. We KNOW the pain centers of the brain react... but because of how little we understand consciousness, we don't know if the baby can "feel" it, if it is a purely reflexive action, or if it is something else entirely. My stance; since we know the pain receptors function, the nerves transmit, and the brain receives, I would prefer to err on the side of caution and say yes, the fetus DOES feel it.
Science?

What's science?

:rolleyes:

Additional studies I have found on the matter:

Okay..

You REALLY need to check your sources. Because this is becoming an unacceptable joke.

NRLC stands for National Right to Life Committee.

I hope those are... official and unbiased enough representations for you, Bells?

Fine... if you wish to dismiss those, then see the above referenced scholarly articles.
See, I know what site you got them from. Because I just searched and saw that you copied and pasted it from. Why don't you link the site?

Secondly, it still does not prove that a foetus can feel and have the emotional reaction to pain or be conscious enough to recognise it as being "pain".

Well, again, i don't think that doctors should be pressuring them either way... that isn't their place or what their job is there for.
I swear, your continued misrepresentation of scientific research on this site is embarrassing..

For example, you quoted this from the Doctors on Fetal Pain website (I will get to your sourcing form this site in a second), a website that has all these little quotes, taken out of context, posted as though it's saying that a foetus can feel "pain" inutero:

Here is a study completed by Mark A. Rosen which once again confirms about foetal pain, this time, from an actual scientific website:

Pain is an emotional and psychological experience that requires conscious recognition of a noxious stimulus. Consequently, the capacity for conscious perception of pain can arise only after thalamocortical pathways begin to function, which may occur in the third trimester around 29 to 30 weeks’ gestational age, based on the limited data available. Small-scale histological studies of human fetuses have found that thalamocortical fibers begin to form between 23 and 30 weeks’ gestational age, but these studies did not specifically examine thalamocortical pathways active in pain perception.

While the presence of thalamocortical fibers is necessary for pain perception, their mere presence is insufficient—this pathway must also be functional. It has been proposed that transient, functional thalamocortical circuits may form via subplate neurons around midgestation, but no human study has demonstrated this early functionality. Instead, constant SEPs appear at 29 weeks’ PCA, and EEG patterns denoting wakefulness appear around 30 weeks’ PCA. Both of these tests of cortical function suggest that conscious perception of pain does not begin before the third trimester. Cutaneous withdrawal reflexes and hormonal stress responses present earlier in development are not explicit or sufficient evidence of pain perception because they are not specific to noxious stimuli and are not cortically mediated.

Now.. The website where you pulled these quotes from..

"Doctors on Fetal Pain"..

Is a pro-life site..

On their "The Basics" page, they state this, even in direct contradiction to scientists they even quote on the page you linked from their site:

A wealth of anatomical, behavioral and physiological evidence shows that the developing human fetus is capable of experiencing tremendous pain by 20 weeks post-fertilization.

So, 20 weeks now.

And then after detailing how a 16 week old foetus is apparently able to feel pain and be aware of it, and a slew of other misrepresentation and misinformation, we have this gem:

Abortion at 20 weeks

Despite the fetus’s advanced development at 20 weeks, the following abortion procedures are the most commonly used:

Dilation and Evacuation (D&E): Sharp-edged instruments are used to grasp, twist, and tear the baby’s body into pieces. This continues until the child’s entire body is removed from the womb. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Kennedy describes the procedure saying, “The fetus, in many cases, dies just as a human adult or child would: It bleeds to death as it is torn limb from limb.”

Digoxin abortion: A drug called digoxin is injected directly into the baby’s heart, giving the fetus a fatal heart attack. The dead baby is then removed from his or her mother by dismemberment.

So I am going to say it again.

You are a moderator of a science site.

Please, for the love of all that is fucking holy. LEARN TO CHECK YOUR SOURCES.

How long does an ultrasound take? I don't understand how it forces a delay in anything to be honest... I mean, when I went with my mother when they had the ultrasound of my little brother done, the whole process took... I dunno, maybe an hour or two tops? Maybe I'm misunderstanding?
The laws require a waiting period after they have the ultra-sound done to when they can book and find a place to take them to do the procedure.

Again, though, wouldn't an ounce of prevention be worth more than the pound of "cure"?

Fair enough, but I expect you to do the same. On that vein, what is your response to the studies and citations above?

Fair enough - accepted and noted.
As I said.

The studies you presented would be akin to my claiming there was a black hole in the center of the Earth and linking to Victor as proof.

*smirks* Actually, it was inferred from my time practicing archery. Real feathers for fletching are... stupid expensive. Given that one of my favorite local dives (Neato Burrito) utilizes only plastic cups made entirely from plant-based plastics, and that I have seen carpets and other fibrous materials made using plastic, I figure making plastic-based feathers from plant matter is probably feasible.

Truth be told, I'm not sensitive enough for feathers to have much of an impact on me... much to Alerya's dismay :p
Last time I tried archery, I nearly impaled my own foot.

Don't have time to respond to everything right now (it's five after midnight), but...

Bitch, Queen Bitch, Hyena, Little Miss, Little Princess, Miss Lollipop..

These terms are demeaning and as I kept explaining to you, were not welcomed but you kept doing it repeatedly.

When I argue with a sexist, there's an inevitable point at which he will call me "sweetheart". (I like to think of it as shorthand for "you're winning".) If I'm really making him feel foolish, he may resort to "bitch". "Ugly" is the last refuge of the hopelessly destroyed.

I've been writing about feminism on the internet long enough that these names don't really bother me. But nothing is more grating than when a man I don't know - in comments, Twitter or real life - calls me "Jessie".

It may seem odd that I'd prefer a curse to a cutesy nickname. Like most things men call women when they want to diminish them, "Jessie" is meant to remind me that no matter what I accomplish – the number of books written, articles published, speeches given – I'm still "just a girl". But it's the overly-familiar infantilization that really makes my skin crawl. Very creepy Uncle Chester.

As it turns out, it's not just me. Behind every female with an opinion is a man with a sneering nickname for her.

The good news is that no matter what they call women – bitch, slut or "Jessie" – name-calling is all sexists have in a debate. Calling us something other than what we are does not make us less right, and it won't make them more just. When misogynists resort to name-calling, they're labeling themselves more than they ever could disprove us.

To reiterate, so that you understand.. When you refer to me by these labels, such as Princess, Little Missy, Bitch, Love, and all the other ones you used, they were not welcomed and I let you know each time they were not. Instead of respecting my wishes, you kept doing it. I am not your love, your bitch, your little princess, your little Miss, your little miss lollipop and all the other ridiculous names you decided to call me because I dared to challenge you. You used those terms specifically to remind me of my place, or the place you seem to feel women belong in. And you made sure I knew it, because each time you did it, I told you how it was being perceived and you kept calling me even more misogynistic and sexist demeaning names. Why? Because you went for the terms and names that reduced me to the role of a little girl, which I should not need to remind you is sexist and demeaning. When you reduce a woman to the role of a little girl with such condescending terms, it is sexist and misogynistic.

I'll put it this way.

If you did this in the workplace, if a woman challenged something you did in the work place and you started to call her that, you could very well find yourself on your arse out on the street.

It isn't acceptable. It certainly is not acceptable to keep doing it when you are told by the recipient of those names that it is unwelcome, not acceptable and especially after I told you how they were being received and perceived.

Your defense of your behaviour is tantamount to racists who claim they have black friends too when they are accused of racism.

Do you understand now?

Of course I understand that - and as I said, if you will give me the courtesy of not slinging labels and demeaning terms my way, I shall give you the same.
You REALLY need to check your sources. Because this is becoming an unacceptable joke.

NRLC stands for National Right to Life Committee.[/quote]

The source of the article is utterly irrelevant so long as the facts behind it are solid.

See, I know what site you got them from. Because I just searched and saw that you copied and pasted it from. Why don't you link the site?
I sure hope you mean sites:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1999.tb08424.x/abstract
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=201429
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0387760400000899
http://www.doctorsonfetalpain.com/fetal-pain-the-evidence/4-documentation/#.U3LsfoZBnp5
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=10814894
http://www.sfnmjournal.com/article/S1744-165X(06)00023-0/fulltext
http://www.emcap.eu/programme/speakers/dr-marc-van-de-velde.html
http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2e2723a74c71b210VgnVCM1000001e0215acRCRD

And a few others I can't spot in my history right now. So, yeah, one of the websites was the NRLC... and the man who wrote the report is a rather highly respected man in the field of medical science...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/magazine/10Fetal-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Twenty-five years ago, when Kanwaljeet Anand was a medical resident in a neonatal intensive care unit, his tiny patients, many of them preterm infants, were often wheeled out of the ward and into an operating room. He soon learned what to expect on their return. The babies came back in terrible shape: their skin was gray, their breathing shallow, their pulses weak. Anand spent hours stabilizing their vital signs, increasing their oxygen supply and administering insulin to balance their blood sugar.

“What’s going on in there to make these babies so stressed?” Anand wondered. Breaking with hospital practice, he wrangled permission to follow his patients into the O.R. “That’s when I discovered that the babies were not getting anesthesia,” he recalled recently. Infants undergoing major surgery were receiving only a paralytic to keep them still. Anand’s encounter with this practice occurred at John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, England, but it was common almost everywhere. Doctors were convinced that newborns’ nervous systems were too immature to sense pain, and that the dangers of anesthesia exceeded any potential benefits.

Anand resolved to find out if this was true. In a series of clinical trials, he demonstrated that operations performed under minimal or no anesthesia produced a “massive stress response” in newborn babies, releasing a flood of fight-or-flight hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. Potent anesthesia, he found, could significantly reduce this reaction. Babies who were put under during an operation had lower stress-hormone levels, more stable breathing and blood-sugar readings and fewer postoperative complications. Anesthesia even made them more likely to survive. Anand showed that when pain relief was provided during and after heart operations on newborns, the mortality rate dropped from around 25 percent to less than 10 percent. These were extraordinary results, and they helped change the way medicine is practiced. Today, adequate pain relief for even the youngest infants is the standard of care, and the treatment that so concerned Anand two decades ago would now be considered a violation of medical ethics.

But Anand was not through with making observations. As NICU technology improved, the preterm infants he cared for grew younger and younger — with gestational ages of 24 weeks, 23, 22 — and he noticed that even the most premature babies grimaced when pricked by a needle. “So I said to myself, Could it be that this pain system is developed and functional before the baby is born?” he told me in the fall. It was not an abstract question: fetuses as well as newborns may now go under the knife. Once highly experimental, fetal surgery — to remove lung tumors, clear blocked urinary tracts, repair malformed diaphragms — is a frequent occurrence at a half-dozen fetal treatment centers around the country, and could soon become standard care for some conditions diagnosed prenatally like spina bifida. Whether the fetus feels pain is a question that matters to the doctor wielding the scalpel.

And it matters, of course, for the practice of abortion. Over the past four years, anti-abortion groups have turned fetal pain into a new front in their battle to restrict or ban abortion. Anti-abortion politicians have drafted laws requiring doctors to tell patients seeking abortions that a fetus can feel pain and to offer the fetus anesthesia; such legislation has already passed in five states. Anand says he does not oppose abortion in all circumstances but says decisions should be made on a case-by-case basis. Nonetheless, much of the activists’ and lawmakers’ most powerful rhetoric on fetal pain is borrowed from Anand himself.

Known to all as Sunny, Anand is a soft-spoken man who wears the turban and beard of his Sikh faith. Now a professor at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and a pediatrician at the Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock, he emphasizes that he approaches the question of fetal pain as a scientist: “I eat my best hypotheses for breakfast,” he says, referring to the promising leads he has discarded when research failed to bear them out. New evidence, however, has persuaded him that fetuses can feel pain by 20 weeks gestation (that is, halfway through a full-term pregnancy) and possibly earlier. As Anand raised awareness about pain in infants, he is now bringing attention to what he calls “signals from the beginnings of pain.”

But these signals are more ambiguous than those he spotted in newborn babies and far more controversial in their implications. Even as some research suggests that fetuses can feel pain as preterm babies do, other evidence indicates that they are anatomically, biochemically and psychologically distinct from babies in ways that make the experience of pain unlikely. The truth about fetal pain can seem as murky as an image on an ultrasound screen, a glimpse of a creature at once recognizably human and uncomfortably strange.

IF THE NOTION that newborns are incapable of feeling pain was once widespread among doctors, a comparable assumption about fetuses was even more entrenched. Nicholas Fisk is a fetal-medicine specialist and director of the University of Queensland Center for Clinical Research in Australia. For years, he says, “I would be doing a procedure to a fetus, and the mother would ask me, ‘Does my baby feel pain?’ The traditional, knee-jerk reaction was, ‘No, of course not.’ ” But research in Fisk’s laboratory (then at Imperial College in London) was making him uneasy about that answer. It showed that fetuses as young as 18 weeks react to an invasive procedure with a spike in stress hormones and a shunting of blood flow toward the brain — a strategy, also seen in infants and adults, to protect a vital organ from threat. Then Fisk carried out a study that closely resembled Anand’s pioneering research, using fetuses rather than newborns as his subjects. He selected 45 fetuses that required a potentially painful blood transfusion, giving one-third of them an injection of the potent painkiller fentanyl. As with Anand’s experiments, the results were striking: in fetuses that received the analgesic, the production of stress hormones was halved, and the pattern of blood flow remained normal.

Fisk says he believes that his findings provide suggestive evidence of fetal pain — perhaps the best evidence we’ll get. Pain, he notes, is a subjective phenomenon; in adults and older children, doctors measure it by asking patients to describe what they feel. (“On a scale of 0 to 10, how would you rate your current level of pain?”) To be certain that his fetal patients feel pain, Fisk says, “I would need one of them to come up to me at the age of 6 or 7 and say, ‘Excuse me, Doctor, that bloody hurt, what you did to me!’ ” In the absence of such first-person testimony, he concludes, it’s “better to err on the safe side” and assume that the fetus can feel pain starting around 20 to 24 weeks.

The wealth of evidence is rather large, even if you aren't exactly happy with the sites hosting it.

Last time I tried archery, I nearly impaled my own foot.
Dare I ask? I would presume a dropped arrow?

If you wished to try it again, I would recommend a compound bow (the wheel and lever system makes it much easier to hold the bow at full-draw without diminishing power) with a good nock point and arrow shelf. Depending on your personal arm strength, a good starting point would be a draw strength between 30 pounds and 45 pounds - this allows you to get the action of drawing the bow back to full-draw correct without risking damage to yourself or the bow.

After that, it's all about practice... my grandfather had a target set up in his back yard and he used to teach me... after his third bout with cancer, though, he just didn't have the strength to do it anymore. I still have his compound bow, and hope some day to learn how to shoot an English Longbow... but ultimately I would love to learn Kyudo, the Japanese art of archery utilizing a Yumi of the Rokusun-nobi style.

kitt said:
I simply believe that if she has waited that long, and allowed the fetus to develop and grow for that length of time.
If you think anyone is justified in assuming a random late term abortion is being sought simply because a woman has "waited that long", you are living in a fantasy world.

A misogynistic one.

And since your entire body of posting in this thread, almost entirely off topic and oblivious as it is (compare all that verbiage about women's irresponsible promiscuity with the OP), seems to be founded in that fantasy world, how far do you expect to get with claims that those posts are legitimate opinions being disparaged only because they are the opinions of men?

kitt said:
Of course I understand that - and as I said, if you will give me the courtesy of not slinging labels and demeaning terms my way, I shall give you the same.
No, you won't. You can't. You have had more than enough opportunity to restrain your natural tendencies, or even come to some kind of self awareness in this matter, and the evidence indicates you simply cannot.

kitt said:
The source of the article is utterly irrelevant so long as the facts behind it are solid.
Then find one that doesn't automatically cast doubt on those "facts", that a reasonable person can take as serious. The NRLC is a pack of liars with an ugly agenda. Almost nothing they present is factually solid.

Or better, omit the entire tangency and confront the OP issue. It's still sitting there, largely unaddressed. Which tends to grant the OP its point, no?

FAP threads; making a sticky mess of simple issues?

What abortion limitations would you like to see?

A meaningful biological limitation based on neural activity and pain sensation.

I agree with you that fetal viability brings up a whole slew of arguments in LTA but that doesn't automatically grant a fetus in the third trimester "personhood". The US is on of four countries that allows for LTA and they have done so because the law doesn't recognize fetal viability to equate with personhood because if it did I imagine LTA would be considered murder. Instead what they decided during Roe vs. Wade is that the personhood of the mother outweighs the viability of the fetus. Roe vs Wade does protect the rights of a fetus after the point of viability, which occurs sometime after the 24th week of gestation. So LTA ARE restricted.

Exactly. This argument came up because of the proposition by some of our SF 'neighbours', as the phrase is, that the only moral or logical position is to have no limitations on abortion, making it a free-for-all. The natural response is to distrust such a scenario - laissez-faire is usually a bad idea, as history demonstrates.

Viability of the fetus is a medical term not a legal one. This is how the law is defined in terms of LTA. What is it about the way the law is written that you find unsatisfactory? Its completely designed around the health of the mother.

That it is not.

'In 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the constitutional right to privacy extends to the decision of a woman, in consultation with her physician, to terminate a pregnancy. The Court also determined, however, that this right is not absolute and it must be balanced against the state’s legitimate interest in protecting both the health of the pregnant woman and the developing human life. Therefore, according to Roe, the state’s interest in protecting potential life becomes compelling at the point of fetal viability (when the fetus has the capacity for sustained survival outside the uterus). States are allowed to, and indeed have, severely restricted access to abortion in the third-trimester, except, as the Supreme Court has ruled, when necessary to preserve the woman’s life or health. In subsequent cases, the Court made clear that viability is a medical determination, which varies with each pregnancy, and that it is the responsibility of the attending physician to make that determination. The Supreme Court has held that even after fetal viability, states may not prohibit abortions “necessary to preserve the life or health of the mother;” “health” in this context includes both physical and mental health; only the physician, in the course of evaluating the specific circumstances of an individual case, can define what constitutes“health” and when a fetus is viable; and states cannot require additional physicians to confirm the physician’s judgment that the woman’s life or health is at risk.'​

You know, I'd never actually read RvW before, or succeeding opinions, and amazingly I've arrived at nearly its exact definition. It's as though some kind of intelligent process guided my position. Crazy, right? :D Contrast that position to that of our DF-pusher neighbours, in which no limitation at all is demanded, or else one be called the oppressor and slayer of women; only when we can see and touch a baby with our own eyes - no sneaky ultrasounds, now - shall we declare a baby exists, as if they were some kind of huddle of primitive man, feral and slavering, staring and prodding with supernatural hysteria at a pregnant woman's swollen belly. It's not for nothing that one sees it as regressive - it's the child of anti-technological terror. Our neighbour, back on the original thread before he decided to cut-and-paste-and-uncomprehend my comments to this thread, opined that a biologically-informed opinion would "leave nothing for law"; there would be no overturning of RvW for DF; science might close doors that could not be opened again. And that was a thing that Could Not Be. I could comment here about the correlation of this new neo-Luddism with an affinity for the trappings of quiet theism, but naturally I will make no such comment. How rotten it is, through and through, for such a little life that it has had, this 'dry foot' dance, raging against the machinists on ghost feet.

Of course. That's inherent in the physical situation. Must it is.

Balance is better. More socialistic.

So the failure to deal with the issue has direct bearing. The people who are trying to define a fertilized egg as a separate person due complete personal protection by the State are not dealing with the issue - they are pretending it does not exist, and thereby agreeing to abrogate the basic rights of the woman involved.

How fortunate it is that I am not they then. I agree with that premise, you see.

But you are not opposing the State pressuring them?

I'm lost as to why you would conclude such a thing, unless you conceive the entire situation as binary. Is this your stance? The above suggests this.

I'm counting at least three for four. An interesting, say revealing?, miscount on your part - the basis for the problem with this discussion, perhaps.

And where did you learn to count? :)

News interview with a woman who had a LTA at 29 weeks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4k427vn8xg

Geoff you may find it particularly interesting.

I might. But the essential fact remains - if performed for reasons of medical requirement or other mitigating circumstance, then it is moral. If not, not.

I await my impending crucifixion by iceaura. Do you need any lumber or metal hardware? There's a sale on today.

If you think anyone is justified in assuming a random late term abortion is being sought simply because a woman has "waited that long", you are living in a fantasy world.

A misogynistic one.
Well, if that is the case, then what is the problem with my proposed solution? Obviously, in your mind, everyone who is getting an LTA has a substantiated reason, so in effect, my proposal would not stop anyone from getting an abortion. Drinks all around!

And since your entire body of posting in this thread, almost entirely off topic and oblivious as it is (compare all that verbiage about women's irresponsible promiscuity with the OP), seems to be founded in that fantasy world, how far do you expect to get with claims that those posts are legitimate opinions being disparaged only because they are the opinions of men?
Uh huh... not sure where you pulled that little nugget from, but it is suspiciously brown and mephitic...

No, you won't. You can't. You have had more than enough opportunity to restrain your natural tendencies, or even come to some kind of self awareness in this matter, and the evidence indicates you simply cannot.
Interesting... I wasn't aware you were in ANY sort of position to tell me what I "can and cannot do"... how do you come to the conclusion that you can do this?

Then find one that doesn't automatically cast doubt on those "facts", that a reasonable person can take as serious. The NRLC is a pack of liars with an ugly agenda. Almost nothing they present is factually solid.
So the fact that the NRLC is using the report immediately invalidates it as factual? Interesting... does this mean that the Nazis in WWII would have never developed the Atomic Bomb given time, since, you know, they were "evil" and had an "ugly agenda"... so obviously their research is inherently and intrinsically flawed. At least... that's the logic you are using.

Or better, omit the entire tangency and confront the OP issue. It's still sitting there, largely unaddressed. Which tends to grant the OP its point, no?
I have already addressed it... if my count is correct, thrice so far in this thread. You just choose to ignore it so you can take pot shots at me instead of facing the argument... classic ad hominem and red herring tactics.

Back