Fertilization-Assigned Personhood [FAP]

(Insert Title Here)

GeoffP said:

Thanks for linking to my post again: it is a cogent and interesting one, I agree. But you can't tell me this is the entirety of your act! For one thing, I would be hugely amused to see you try to dance your way through how that's all "magical". I realise that technical and intellectual progress are sadly uneven across the US, but do you burn obstetricians out your way, too? And what's the Church penalty for ultrasound technicians?

You have yet to explain what happens at viabilty that changes the fact that a fetus exists inside another person.

Ah, back on slagging atheism again. Never get tired of this one. "You think you have a moral duty of some kind but accept no God as it's source." I can't decide if it's childish, or myopic, or both. Could you define the 'functional' parameters that make up your farce? I mean, what you're saying is that without God there isn't any morality. I thought we'd come past that - hell, I've even listed a number of factors relevant to the question - but why would you pick the honest choice when you have license to behave like any other troll? It's not something I'd do, mind; oh, damned atheist.

There is nothing rational about your egocentric misrepresentations.

Let us try a proposition:

If one intends to undertake a course that is harmful to another person, then one ought to have a rational reason for doing so.​

Do you disagree?

Or would you propose that aesthetics is a sufficient reason to harm all women in a society?

You have yet to explain what happens at viabilty that changes the fact that a fetus exists inside another person.
The fetus is no longer DEPENDENT on another person, and that changes the equation quite a bit. Pretending that nothing has changed at that point is foolish.

And ...?

Billvon said:

The fetus is no longer DEPENDENT on another person, and that changes the equation quite a bit. Pretending that nothing has changed at that point is foolish.

Well, sure, the aesthetic equation changes to a degree variable from beholder to beholder. But what actually changes about the fetus existing inside another person? You know, the objective question people keep trying to answer subjectively with appeals to aesthetics?

I do understand that the question seems complicated to you, but no, we cannot in the United States follow your prior suggestion that the rational thing to do is ignore the Constitution. As such, the objective question remains unanswered, and there is no way to sleaze out of the question with mere aesthetics.

Out of curiosity, under what circumstances would you allow the law to declare that another person has precedent and authority over your body? And would you concede that surrender of your rights as a necessary result of your equal protection under the law?

Well, sure, the aesthetic equation changes to a degree variable from beholder to beholder. But what actually changes about the fetus existing inside another person? You know, the objective question people keep trying to answer subjectively with appeals to aesthetics?
It's not an aesthetic equation. It is viability. And that is not just "looks" - that means the fetus can live outside the mother.
I do understand that the question seems complicated to you, but no, we cannot in the United States follow your prior suggestion that the rational thing to do is ignore the Constitution.
We don't. Indeed the Supreme Court itself, a much better arbiter of Constitutional issues than you, has ruled that viability IS the line to use in this issue.
As such, the objective question remains unanswered, and there is no way to sleaze out of the question with mere aesthetics.
Aesthetics. You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Out of curiosity, under what circumstances would you allow the law to declare that another person has precedent and authority over your body?
When I was a young child - and in fact I did so. There were several operations performed on my body without my consent (including removal of some rather small body parts) because another person had precedent and authority over my body.

Well, thanks for stepping off the podium for a discussion.

That's a condition of location, not dependence, at that stage. But you're a legally-minded person: do you then think it's a case of possession being 9/10ths of the law? Trespassing? Mortal trespassing? "Stand your womb"? What separates termination at effective biological independence from those things? Can I not argue "tort" on behalf of the soon-to-be-freed prisoner of the mother's conscience?

There is nothing rational about your egocentric misrepresentations.

If only anything in that statement of yours was real. Can you answer Hitchens' challenge, BTW?

Let us try a proposition:

If one intends to undertake a course that is harmful to another person, then one ought to have a rational reason for doing so.​

Do you disagree?

Of course not. Do you?

Or would you propose that aesthetics is a sufficient reason to harm all women in a society?

And what exactly do you understand as 'aesthetics'? :bugeye:

Now, let us try a definition: what do you conceive of as 'DF'?

Well, sure, the aesthetic equation changes to a degree variable from beholder to beholder.

So your interpretation of 'aesthetic' is unreliable. Well, I agree.

But what actually changes about the fetus existing inside another person? You know, the objective question people keep trying to answer subjectively with appeals to aesthetics?

I mention this above: what exactly do you conceive of as aesthetics? For example: are animal welfare laws mere aesthetics? After all, the animal belongs to me. Only I am its holder and provider. What business is it of the state what I do with it and when?

I do understand that the question seems complicated to you, but no, we cannot in the United States follow your prior suggestion that the rational thing to do is ignore the Constitution.

Oh! I suppose all the other ontogenetic limitations on abortion must also be unConstitutional in that "real society" that you live in and we apparently do not. They're just sleazing out of the question with mere aesthetics.

(On a side-note, I really have to commend Tiassa's perspicacity in delivering unwarranted and unsupportable insults and aspersions: "sleaze", in this case. So far from my character, this, that I can barely conceive of the thing. Perhaps this is the great new phase in human evolution, not unlike when the first ape threw shit at another and then pretended it had only been picking its own fleas. How do you manage it?)

Out of curiosity, under what circumstances would you allow the law to declare that another person has precedent and authority over your body? And would you concede that surrender of your rights as a necessary result of your equal protection under the law?

What circumstances already exist? I think examples have been gone over already, if you recall. Then again, do you appreciate the singularity of the condition of human pregnancy? I appreciate that may seem tautological.

So after giving a good, long, hard look into all of this and rethinking my position... I can only come to the conclusion that, in the end, so long as we know no physical pain or harm comes to the child, the abortion should be allowable at any time. The ONLY stipulation I would make on this is that the woman must be given access to ALL of the facts and ALL of the options first, so that she, and she alone, can make a fully educated decision. She must be alerted to the fact that there is a chance, no matter how small, that such a procedure could have side effects (including the slim possibility of infection or damage to the cervix, etc).
I don't disagree with you. Women and frankly, any patient, has to be given information on all the options available. And I believe that whatever choice they make, they need to be able to do so safely and with support. I have seen first hand how awful that situation is. Some of these women are abused, threatened, spat on. Merely going to any of these clinics, they face abuse and threats and harassment, they also face threat of death from one of the placard waving crazies outside. And that isn't acceptable at all.

But, yeah... far as I can tell, having taken a more objective look into this, there is nothing to suggest that the fetus would feel pain in the sense that we think of pain. Further study on this might one day shed light on this, but... *shrug* Fuck it, I was wrong. Nothing more to say about it really.

Bells - for my hard headedness and inability to see the simple points you were trying to make, you have my apologies. I let myself fall into a tunnel vision of sorts... I as so assured that my position was correct that, even while looking for supporting evidence, I didn't take the time to research the other side of the issue. This left me with a not only incomplete picture, but a wholly inaccurate and irresponsible one. I cannot apologize to you enough for that, and all I can do is say that I will strive to make sure I do not commit such mistakes in the future.
Thank you Kitta. That means a lot to me. And I apologise for my anger and frustration about it. I had thought that your position was deliberate, in that you understood both sides and understood the studies, but you were choosing to ignore them. And that is what made me see red, to be honest. The moment I realised what was going on, was when I stopped seeing red and started to explain the ermm research methods being employed.

I still don't believe abortion should necessarily be the first or only option considered... but that is a personal belief, nothing more, and it has no business interfering with a persons right to choose their own actions. I also feel that we, as a species, need to get better at planning ahead with our actions... but that is something that can, unfortunately, only come with time... and as they say, hindsight is 20/20.
I don't know anyone who believes that abortion should be the first or only option. It is one option amongst many. I do think there needs to be counseling sessions for women (and their partners) to provide women with all of their options and to look at possibilities of adoption if there is any indication that they are unsure and it needs to be done in such a way as that these women know and understand that regardless of what they choose, then they will be fully supported and safe in that choice. If people want to make sure abortion numbers fall, then it starts from when they are children.. Comprehensive sex education which includes comprehensive education on contraceptives.. And make contraceptives more widely available and much cheaper/free.. Make the morning after-pill more widely available/free and allow women to be able to access the abortion pill more easily instead of restricting its access so much. Run education programs for adults as well.

I see Kitta's bought into the examples entirely in the wrong way. You do make one cogent and ethical argument - better access to contraception and adoption. The rest, hash.

balerion said:
"Every" right? How does restricting abortion--which already occurs, by the way--abrograte every right she has as a person?

Before you answer that--and trust me, I already know you don't have one
We aren't talking about restricting abortion per se. We are talking about the consequences of granting the status of "person" to the fetus inside the woman. Why do you guys keep muddling that?

As far as the answer - let's combine:

geoff said:
And that assertion is where some ethical problems you are avoiding begin - the conditions under which you propose that other people be given the power of deciding what is to take place inside a woman's body, thereby abrogating every right she has as a person.

That is a farcical view. Does the developing fetus stop her from voting? Does it remove her protections against crime?
Those aren't necessarily rights enjoyed by even the non-pregnant, btw (there is no explicit "right to vote", for example),

but stipulating to them for the sake of expediency: Granting personhood to the developing fetus easily puts all those rights in the hands of the State,

which can deny the pregnant woman access to a polling place or other means on election day, for example, if for some reason the journey or circumstances jeopardized the fetus;

which can deny the pregnant woman police protection in her home and of her home (mandating her residence in a hospital and neglect of her possessions etc) if such restrictions are deemed necessary for the protection of the person she harbors;

and so forth. We know such things are among the consequences made possible or likely, not merely because they are possibilities anyone can see the danger of by simple inspection and a moment's thought, not merely because they are flagrantly obvious to any literate Western adult,

but because we have seen them happen in local examples of even partial legal fetal personhood. They, and this issue, are not matters of imagination only.

This reality is the simple and central issue of the OP, btw - the thread topic, the big deal, the recurring matter of long discussion. And yet you are asking these questions, as if they were rhetorical, as if they were unanswered, on page 11.

geoff said:
And which ethical problems have I avoided? I seem to recall giving direct answers to all of them.
See above: you apparently haven't begun, as of page 11, recognizing - let alone dealing with - the ethical problems introduced in the OP.

billvon said:
So?

Are the consequences of responding to that change by assigning legal "personhood" to that fetus thereby of no interest, of no relevance to the decision to do that?

Well,you know—

"About that fuzzy line: actually the question disappears at the point of viability."

magickal science.

And that's the funny thing; among those who believe in magick, there is an idea of magickal sciences. To the other, I will take the time to learn how to perform a Norbrook Threepass Test to detect sorcerous fields shortly after sorcerous fields can be demonstrated to exist.

But remember—

—that's an unfair question, because Geoff has repeatedly demanded we change the subject.
I don't think they ever really understood what the question was. They were quick to argue for personhood, to demand it be declared from the 3rd trimester, while disregarding reality and applying their standard based on a twisted misrepresentation of the "DF" policy. Because, you know, it's 'KILLING THE BABY', and when they are confronted with reality about arbitrary lines being drawn in the sand when it comes to personhood and women's rights, they attempt to deny it was ever really about that.

After all, as near as we can tell

"If you're unacquainted with mathematics, biology and reality."

—the assertion is that if one is a mathematician and biologist not suffering from any delusion, then the conflict of equal protection magickally disappears.
We could probably reach the same conclusion if we strummed guitars singing kumbaya.

I admit I do wonder why you bother responding to Balerion at all; there really is no chance for him to be constructive in this discussion until he at least postulates an objective derivation for the "moral duty" he has cited. Until then, he might as well be just another religious wingnut bawling about aesthetics.
I am considering self flagellation.

And, of course, Geoff is perfectly willing

"So you don't feel any obligations to a subjective moral authority? Many other people do, Tiassa, theists and atheists both. If you want to call it a kind of irrationalism, go right ahead."

—to support that idiotic twist.

I mean, they are essentially, functionally, back to invoking God as a justification for their outlooks. Unless, of course, there is an objective derivation of that moral duty and the abstract authority that charges it.
Well Balerion has declared it his moral duty to allow women to die or not care if they die, if they are trying to abort. One has to wonder where those morals come from.

The general regard in the American punditry—from the news organizations on down to the armchair wonks—is that Gardner is engaging a cynical ploy. He can win office without the wingnuts, but he can't win office without a healthy crossover vote regardless of whether he has the wingnuts or not.

And I would point to the morbid joke about 2010, and the Republican agenda of jobs, jobs, jobs ... jabortion. Congressman Gardner is a Republican, so there remains a valid, even pressing, question whether his newfound sense of the obvious remains after election.

Meanwhile, here's a fun one: Yesterday (Pacific Time) saw our version of a midterm Super Tuesday, with the biggest primary day of the season taking place. The Georgia ballot was of particular interest, largely because so many Republicans were competing for the seat held by retiring Sen. Saxby Chambliss.

Three congressmen put their names in the hat. And here's the thing: If they don't win the primary, their Congressional career goes on hold.

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA10), shepherd of the Congressional personhood bill, did not make the cut. As of January, he gets to sit down somewhere other than in the House of Representatives for two years at least. To the other, Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA1) did survive the primary, and in 2011 he co-sponsored (along with Rep. Broun) HR 212, an earlier version of the same bill.

Then again, even if it is merely cynical political calculation, at least Rep. Gardner is capable of reading the writing on the wall. And that ... I don't know, probably ... counts for something.
Of course it's a ploy. But it's still interesting to watch. The voters he is trying to gain know it is a ploy and those he had thought were fully on his side have now deserted him in droves. The personhood and attempts to ban abortions have failed time and time again. There is no way out of this one. They surely must recognise by now that it is a dead political horse to promote laws that would be wholly unconstitutional and which would contravene international human rights treaties that the US is party to.

Political ploys often backfire and the victims are usually women. Louisiana is a prime example. Democrats are voting for Bills that will restrict access to abortions in the first and second trimester, while at the same time they are also now facing great opposition in passing Bills that would allow for greater sex education in schools (apparently sex ed is optional).. They are dancing down a dangerous line and trying to appease both sides and failing as a result. Louisiana has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country. You would think access to earlier abortion measures and sex education would be beneficial, but no.

Well Balerion has declared it his moral duty to allow women to die or not care if they die, if they are trying to abort. One has to wonder where those morals come from.

Close, but not quite. Well, not close at all, actually. But what else should I expect from a lying racist troll? LOL.

I said we have a moral duty to protect unborn children when they become viable. I said I'm not concerned with women who would kill their children beyond that point. I see no reason to protect a murderer.

Tiassa, Bells,

I am all for zero restrictions for therapeutic abortions, but do you want zero restrictions for elective abortions, as well, allowing for abortions at any time and any stage?

Broken record.. zzzzzzzzz

Close, but not quite. Well, not close at all, actually. But what else should I expect from a lying racist troll? LOL.

I said we have a moral duty to protect unborn children when they become viable. I said I'm not concerned with women who would kill their children beyond that point. I see no reason to protect a murderer.
:zzz:Still resorting to insults instead of discussing the question in the OP..:zzz:

:zzz:Still incapable of answering the question in the OP and support your argument with scientific evidence...:zzz:

And your comments about how you feel about women kind of made my point for me. So thank ye muchly.

Tiassa, Bells,

I am all for zero restrictions for therapeutic abortions, but do you want zero restrictions for elective abortions, as well, allowing for abortions at any time and any stage?
I think abortions should be available for women who need them. You cannot abort a foetus close to full term unless there is something catastrophically wrong with the foetus. Very few doctors are trained to do it and very few offer the services for fear of their lives and because of the laws that pretty much restrict access and their abilities to perform first trimester abortions, let alone 3rd trimester ones. The doctors who do perform them impose safety restrictions up to around 33-34 weeks. Anything after that is dicey. And frankly, I am yet to hear of a woman requesting an abortion at full term or while she is in labor. I find people who make such arguments grossly misrepresent reality to muddy the waters and to create the impression that women do this regularly. The reality is that they do not.

I do believe that abortion is a private matter and that the State should not involve itself in it and I do firmly believe that it is a decision that should be made by the mother in accordance with her health care provider. I am a firm believer in women having access to safe reproductive care at all times.

I believe that imposing personhood will endanger the lives of women and their pregnancies (we have seen too much evidence of this already when others impose personhood on the foetus), not to mention denying them their rights (again, too many cases to count where this has happened and continues to happen).

I see Kitta's bought into the examples entirely in the wrong way. You do make one cogent and ethical argument - better access to contraception and adoption. The rest, hash.

Actually, the arguments being presented here since our little outburst had nothing to do with it GeoffP. My change of opinion is based entirely on research I have done myself.

So whether the fetus is viable or not matters to the discussion. Pretending that nothing has changed is foolish.
Are the consequences of responding to that change by assigning legal "personhood" to that fetus thereby of no interest, of no relevance to the decision to do that?
See above. They are of interest and they are relevant.

Coming 'Round to the Obvious Question

GeoffP said:

I mention this above: what exactly do you conceive of as aesthetics? For example: are animal welfare laws mere aesthetics? After all, the animal belongs to me. Only I am its holder and provider. What business is it of the state what I do with it and when?

Such political aesthetics are the things people prefer not because they are logically or rationally appropriate, but because it feels nice.

For instance, try to follow the anti-abortion logic in the bizarre tale of fetus dolls and candy. (Sciforums / blog) Note, to the one, the appeal to sentiment:

A customer service representative told Jezebel that the models are most often given to pregnant women at "pregnancy centers" and kids at school presentations. The customer reviews on the site (it's like Yelp for fetus-lovers instead of foodies) further imply that the doll-like figures are great for kids. "Children especially like to hold them," one satisfied customer wrote. "No other item that we hand out has the amazing effect that these fetal models have—instant attachment to the unborn!" said another. "So many times, we hear, 'Awwwww! That's adorable!' Or we just see a girl's tears begin to form and fall."

And then contrast it with the attempted rational argument:

Devyn Nelson, Executive Director of North Dakota Right to Life, said he hadn't been contacted by organizers and claimed that the booth ran out of "Precious Ones" because there was such a high demand for the mini fetuses. "Kids like them, but adults like them too," he said. "They have nothing to do with abortion. You don't have to bring abortion up at all."

As to laws being about aesthetics? What does a law do, how does it do it, and why does it do it?

Aesthetics are not wholly the reason it is okay to step on an ant or eat a cow, but not okay to shoot your dog. There are practical reasons to not tolerate ants in immediate proximity, such as within our homes. And there are practical reasons to not abuse our dogs. I mean, it really is a weird thing to be in a major metropolitan area and have someone tell you, over a beer, "Yeah, crime ain't too bad, but you gotta watch out for the wild dogs." Packs of neglected, abused, and eventually abandoned dogs running feral in a major city? Or even a small town? I mean, we can get all mopy with Sarah MacLachlan about animal abuse, and, having had multiple admirable relationships with canine family and friends over the years, yeah, I do object to abusing these creatures. It is possible to establish consistent, communicative, and emotional relationships with dogs that can be observed and validated. This isn't just an aesthetic tug people are experiencing. There's a reason we call dogs "man's best friend", even though we don't deserve that fidelity.

Additionally, certain forms of animal cruelty engaged in certain contexts that can generally only be determined after the fact are also significant of antisocial behavior that is dangerous to other human beings. The only really puzzling thing about it isn't really puzzling if considered a dialectic of neurosis, but your dog, your horse, even your cat, rat, or pet bat, has the right to not suffer gravely. Humans are still working to secure that right for themselves. Aesthetics do play a big role on both sides, but there are also practical and rational considerations.

In the abortion question, aesthetics are tremendously influential. And you need to remember that there is not a state in the union that did not use its prerogative under Roe to limit abortion rights. Dry-foot as a practical reality isn't happening. For the last forty-one years, abortion access advocates have been fighting to preserve what they can against further encroachment. Some states have pushed for a six-week cutoff based on fetal heartbeat, which would nearly end abortion and send the stocks for morning-after pharma through the roof. That is to say, Rush Limbaugh's fantasy of women popping more pills the more sex they have would finally come true as more and more women start doubling up with Plan B on top of their other birth control methods. And you can certainly bet there will be an arms race among big pharma to provide regular "emergency" contraception.

Which, of course, still horrifies those who are looking to terminate as much abortion access as Roe will allow. Hence, personhood.

The idea that "life begins at conception" (defined as fertilization) is the core of the modern anti-abortion ideology. For decades, the tacit meaning has been that personhood begins at conception. Now those propositions are explicit. There's a midterm this year. Watch early next, after the new session is convened. Although Rep. Broun of Georgia won't be in the House of Representatives to introduce the bill as he does in each session, we will see a resubmission of the Sanctity of Human Life Act.

Meanwhile, there's South Carolina and Colorado to watch. And Oklahoma, after losing a ballot initiative in court before the 2012 election, is attempting to pass a similar bill through the legislature.

This is a real issue.

Once that personhood is declared, the zygote is entitled to equal protection under the law. I have tried discussing the implications, and even proposed the basic outline of a compromise to begin negotiating personhood. This is what that other thread I refer to—the one you've inserted yourself into post hoc—was about. And reviewing that thread isn't nearly the task it seems; by the time you get to Billvon's argument (#32) that the only conflicts of rights would come from people who are so irrational as to observe the U.S. Constitution, well, yeah. That one pretty much makes the point. Equal rights for zygotes, but not really. Just enough to stop women from having abortions. Very, very rational. Maybe they should have tried that with blacks; you know, just enough equality to stop them from being slaves. Oh, right, we did. And the one guy on the Supreme Court who saw through that ruse happened to be a former slave owner.

And that's the problem with fertilization-assigned personhood.

Dry-foot is implicit in the assertion of a woman's body, a woman's choice. But it's not a principle of any real effect.

By assigning legal personhood in utero, one invokes the actual question of the conflict of rights. In this context, dry-foot is a bright line because the question ceases effect. That is to say, if the baby exists outside the woman, then there can be no question of the conflict of two people asserting rights over one body. This is not a mystical or philosophical outcome, it is observable fact. Whatever line one chooses to assert earlier, at the point the baby exists outside the mother's body, there is simply no question of its personhood. That is why dry-foot stands out as a bright line.

At some point, with this viability argument of yours, and especially according to Billvon's reminder, it does occur to me to ask, since it will take some digging on my part, if you or anyone else happens to have, you know, just lying around, a copy of the current protocols regarding nonmedically indicated premature Caesarian section?

It doesn't matter, in a certain context, when we assert personhood in utero. The conflict presents itself. Go review the proposition in the old thread.

If society deems it appropriate to declare PIU or FAP, then just how does that work? That's what the advocates won't explain. And in the conflict that results, of one person asserting equal protection rights requiring the use of another person's body, dry-foot marks the end of any assertion of the conflict.

Those who fantasize about how fucked up that can be because she wants an abortion while in labor to get revenge on the father, or reattaching the umbilical cord and stuffing it back in, or whatever the hell lets one suggest a foot might still be a little too wet? They're missing the fucking point.

And after nineteen or so months of people wanting to talk about anything but just how this is supposed to work, and what it means for women, we might wonder why people are so dedicated, even accidentally, to forestalling this discussion. One or another of these bills is going to pass, and when the case lands in federal court, how many people are going to pretend to be surprised by the complexity of the issue? How many will insist it shouldn't be so complex?

Remember, PIU is not required for what's already going on:

At least 38 of the 50 states across America have introduced foetal homicide laws that were intended to protect pregnant women and their unborn children from violent attacks by third parties – usually abusive male partners – but are increasingly being turned by renegade prosecutors against the women themselves.

South Carolina was one of the first states to introduce such a foetal homicide law. National Advocates for Pregnant Women has found only one case of a South Carolina man who assaulted a pregnant woman having been charged under its terms, and his conviction was eventually overturned. Yet the group estimates there have been up to 300 women arrested for their actions during pregnancy.

(Pilkington)

So what do you really think is about to happen if one of these laws gets enacted? Look ahead to the inevitable court battles. What do you think they're going to argue about?

Notes:

Pilkington, Ed. "Outcry in America as pregnant women who lose babies face murder charges". The Guardian. June 24, 2011. TheGuardian.com. May 21, 2014. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jun/24/america-pregnant-women-murder-charges

We aren't talking about restricting abortion per se. We are talking about the consequences of granting the status of "person" to the fetus inside the woman. Why do you guys keep muddling that?

Why do you guys keep insisting on it? Which statutes currently employ personhood in current limitations to abortion?

Those aren't necessarily rights enjoyed by even the non-pregnant, btw (there is no explicit "right to vote", for example),

Excuse me: those are rights enjoyed by the pregnant, in most situations. You cannot assert that all her rights have been taken away. It doesn't wash; it's hyperbole.

See above: you apparently haven't begun, as of page 11, recognizing - let alone dealing with - the ethical problems introduced in the OP.

That's because it poses a false dilemma. What is one supposed to do with a false dilemma?

I hope billvon gets what kind of English that is, because I don't.

I don't think they ever really understood what the question was. They were quick to argue for personhood, to demand it be declared from the 3rd trimester

Mmmm, no, that's not really a requirement at all and it's a lie that we "demand it be declared from the 3rd trimester"; in fact, that's a lie in several ways. I don't know how many times I've had to ask you to do this: stop lying, Bells. You're not doing the argument, myself, or anyone else any justice. It's, as our neighbour says, sleazy.

Now, going after a separate part of this discussion: you seem to be an expert on abortion rights, Bells, so I'll ask you this since none of the rest of you can answer it: what current abortion law employs personhood as a guideline for the limitation of abortion rights? I presume none, since Tiassa makes the proposal of such laws the central part of his argument. So why would my biological concept invoke personhood?

, while disregarding reality and applying their standard based on a twisted misrepresentation of the "DF" policy. Because, you know, it's 'KILLING THE BABY', and when they are confronted with reality about arbitrary lines being drawn in the sand when it comes to personhood and women's rights, they attempt to deny it was ever really about that.

It wasn't, troll. Look, you can't have it both ways: either I'm not invested in Tiassa's OP points about personhood because I'm "avoiding" it, or my concept was really about that from the start. Both are wrong, but you have to choose one or the other to be wrong about, or cement your reputation on SF. Honestly, your utter terror of this personhood thing is unseemly. If you can identify why it matters to my argument, then you can start freaking out, okay?

Beg pardon? Where's this crap supposed to be from?

Back