Fertilization-Assigned Personhood [FAP]

Oh I see. You can't argue against my points, so you argue about me, out loud, to your only friend. I should have guessed you'd pull something like this, but people without integrity always manage to surprise me with the lengths they'll go to to avoid conceding a point.

You've been reduced to a caricature of yourself, paranoid delusional and everything. Your inability to even address me directly amounts to a concession that you can't support your claims about me or my arguments. I think we're done here.

Did you address the points? No. Did you provide examples to back up your assertion that women would have rights? No. Did you address real life situations without whining that they were irrelevant? No.

In short, you did nothing but do what you always do. Which is to complain. By the time I got to the 3rd line of your post, I was :zzz: ... No evidence, nothing at all. Just this long incessant whine with no substance and nothing new except for the talking points of others that you have decided to adopt.

You were insulting and offensive. So please, explain to me why I should bother with anything at all about you anymore? I simply chose to disregard and ignore the character you have now become on this site. Don't like it? Tough luck. Grow up. Stop running away like a big wuss bag when you are confronted with what actually happens to women's rights when personhood is declared. Stop insulting and offending people when you are incapable of providing any argument to support your 'side' with any evidence. Declaring 'because I say so' means squat. It is not evidence. I mean shit, dude, you can't even bring yourself to understand the issue being discussed, let alone recognise the woman as a person. To you, it's only about "the child". It's not a child. It's a foetus. You can't even understand or apply the correct the scientific terminology..

And you want to talk about integrity? You? That's hysterical. You have yet to provide a single study to support your assertion that women will not lose rights when personhood is declared. Not a shred. And you want to talk about integrity?

It's not that I can't argue against your points Balerion. It's that you have yet to provide a point with any evidence or even science behind it. In short, you don't have any points. You are like a little copycat, copying the arguments of others. You have yet to provide any original argument or support for your argument. That is what people with a point do. You have none. So explain to me, why should I give you the time of day again? Who are you again?

Billvon said:
Here are two examples of what can happen with late term abortions. Both involve the deaths of women. I expect you to declare them irrelevant. Perhaps you could claim they don't matter.
Of course they matter. They can also happen during childbirth. Amniotic fluid embolism is the fifth most common cause of maternal death in the world. It is exceptionally rare.

However what exactly does this have to do with this thread?

Or are you now going to argue for banning it entirely, without exception? Since, you know, she was accessing a late term abortion after discovering fetal abnormalities... And perhaps you could explain to me why pro-lifer's are now using her death as an excuse to remove even fetal abnormality as an exemption? She had elected to abort her much wanted 'child' after she discovered late in the pregnancy that the foetus had developed abnormalities. She was well within her rights and the exemptions you have been touting to access it, when she decided to terminate.

Logical Sloth

Bells said:

Or are you now going to argue for banning it entirely, without exception?

Actually, I think the logic works this way:

Evidence affirming a trend can be entirely refuted by the presentation of statistical outliers. That is to say, a single counterexample must be taken to mean the asserted evident trend is wholly refuted, regardless of whether or not that example actually addresses anything.

In other words, intellectual sloth.

I know you recall the occasion—though most would not and cannot because they weren't there—when an anti-abortion advocate finally threw down and demanded to know who the hell believed in LACP, and when presented with the already established record of these laws being proposed, changed the subject.

But think about it. In the face of all these examples of FAP propositions, as people scramble to find anything else to talk about, the fact that a statistical deviation occurs at all is the salvation they think they're hoping for.

If it's patient health our neighbor is worried about, perhaps he might want to change his focus to something a bit more dangerous, like liposuction.

We've known the whole time that the mortality rate for women undergoing terminations of pregnancy is greater than zero. Tragic though such outcomes are, we ought not be surprised that they happen.

There is something they want, and the obstacle is a glaring question with no good answer. We ought not wonder why they would rather change the subject.

Notes:

Vlessides, Michael. "As Liposuction Deaths Mount, Study Exposes Cracks in Safety". Clinical Anesthesiology. October, 2012; v.38:10. AnesthesiologyNews.com. May 20, 2014. http://www.anesthesiologynews.com/V...ogy&d_id=1&i=October+2012&i_id=890&a_id=21743

Did you address the points? No.

A lie.

Did you provide examples to back up your assertion that women would have rights? No.

Examples of what?

Did you address real life situations without whining that they were irrelevant? No.

Saying something is irrelevant is addressing it. But you knew that already. You simply don't like that I've deconstructed your position, hence this world-class hissy you're throwing.

In short, you did nothing but do what you always do. Which is to complain. By the time I got to the 3rd line of your post, I was :zzz: ... No evidence, nothing at all. Just this long incessant whine with no substance and nothing new except for the talking points of others that you have decided to adopt.

And she's in full retreat. Show's over, fellas.

You were insulting and offensive.

AWW! Big Bad Bells is just a big ol' softie, ya'll!

Seriosuly, I almost spat water at my moniter. Don't joke like that.

So please, explain to me why I should bother with anything at all about you anymore?

Oh, I don't expect you to. I've soundly defeated your arguments, so I'm not at all surprised you've resorted to ad hominem and concoted an excuse to bow out. I didn't see Staw Man Theater coming, but the public meltdown you're in the process of is a bit stunning. Usually you feign injury at some comment and flee Into the shadows when your arguments are exposed as empty rhetoric and petty insults, but you've really come undone this time.

I simply chose to disregard and ignore the character you have now become on this site

Oh,, is this you continuing the narrative that we only participated in the discussion because we don't like you? Right, right...what's my line again?

But seriosuly, you can believe me when I tell you that I genuinely find you position here to be reprehensible. It isn't an act, it isn't for show (unlike 99% of the moral outrage you display here), I genuinely think your position is abysmally immoral. More than that, I don't think you understand what you advocate. Your instincts are correct in wanting to protect women from harm, and given the ignorance and often religiously-inspired misogyny in the pro-life movememt, you're right to be skeptical of opposing viewpoints. However, I don't think you quite understand this. For example, you said a woman should be able to choose because "she's the only one going through it." This is an incredibly unsophisticated rationale. You need to do better that. But instead if trying to learn, you lean on buzzphrases and even refuse to acknowledge that a fetus is an unborn child, as if you really believe a person is not a person until they slide out of the birth canal--which would be not only unsophisticated, but ignorant. But imdon't think you really believe that; I think it's your defense against ideas you aren't comfortable with. It's easier to demonize someone than to change your mind, after all.

Don't like it? Tough luck. Grow up. Stop running away like a big wuss bag when you are confronted with what actually happens to women's rights when personhood is declared. Stop insulting and offending people when you are incapable of providing any argument to support your 'side' with any evidence. Declaring 'because I say so' means squat. It is not evidence. I mean shit, dude, you can't even bring yourself to understand the issue being discussed, let alone recognise the woman as a person. To you, it's only about "the child". It's not a child. It's a foetus. You can't even understand or apply the correct the scientific terminology..

Case in point. No one with a functioning brain stem could say any of those thigns about me or my position.

And you want to talk about integrity? You? That's hysterical. You have yet to provide a single study to support your assertion that women will not lose rights when personhood is declared. Not a shred. And you want to talk about integrity?

It's common sense, Bells; what we propose is more liberal than what is already in place. Women would gain rights, not lose them. Again, this isn't difficult to understand, so I'm left with the assumption that it's simply difficult for you to reconcile with your angry intolerance of any position that is not your own.

It's not that I can't argue against your points Balerion. It's that you have yet to provide a point with any evidence or even science behind it. In short, you don't have any points. You are like a little copycat, copying the arguments of others. You have yet to provide any original argument or support for your argument. That is what people with a point do. You have none. So explain to me, why should I give you the time of day again? Who are you again?

The thing about it, Bells, is that you know I know you're full of shit. That you're just bailing on another debate that you can't handle. You know I know that, so why thr posturing? You also know that virtually no one here takes you seriously, so who is this show for? Tiassa? he's already on your side, lady. No danger of losing a fringe lefty on this issue. He's entrenched.

Just go away. No need for the pomp and circumstance. Definitely no need for the breakdown. Just go. I'll let you off the hook.

A lie... [Snip] Queue incessant whining, dodging the subject and general :zzz::zzz::zzz:]

No, really.

You are still incapable of providing anything at all to support your claim that women would not lose rights and do not lose rights, bodily integrity and due process... You are still denying what is happening to women... You are still to address the OP and support your talking points that you adopted from others.. You are still incapable of providing any evidence to back up your argument and instead, resort to abuse and insults.

Let me know when you are able to support your claims and stop trying to change the subject.

¿Why Can't You Change the Subject?

Bells said:

You are still incapable of providing anything at all to support your claim that women would not lose rights and do not lose rights, bodily integrity and due process ...

Remember, this is the guy who falls back to an undefined, subjective "moral duty" to support his position.

It's one of those things about rational argument; amorphous, unsupported moral authority isn't on the list of functional elements.

And since it all starts with that and an unhealthy overdose of egocentrism, he's not going to provide an argument. Look at them. They're down to, Why can't you change the subject? Right up there with Wynn and Seagypsy and ElectricFetus and everyone else who spent fifteen months trying to change the subject. And I still laugh about the idea that the one anti-abortion advocate we know would be so apparently sincere in his convictions while not having a goddamn clue what he was protesting.

But they're down to, Why can't you change the subject?

It's an unfortunate position they've put themselves into, but that's what happens when one plunges blindly forward in pursuit of vendetta.

I still think once in a while of the people who try to call this a science site. Our neighbors are evidence of why I laugh at that claim. Then again, I'm probably an outlier. The scientists I know are generally the crazy sort who think academic rigor is not only useful and appropriate, but also necessary in more subjective discussions such as politics, ethics, history, and even art. It would seem that our "science" site needs constant intravenous excrement, as we're supposed to suddenly consider abstract moral authority and even apparent magick among the functional components of rational discourse.

And it's true; the Administration and many of our colleagues over the years have resisted the idea of demanding objective and rational discourse in several subfora. In the end, our neighbors might be onto something, that EM&J is one of the subfora intended for people to enjoy without the obligations of having to be accurate, honest, or even generally decent. In which case, quite honestly, I'm happy to let them embarrass themselves as much as they want.

Then again, it's not my human rights on the line in the politics of fappery.

And, you know, if this is one of the places where we are to celebrate wingnuttery, a memo would be nice.

Tiassa

It's the atheist version of 'God did it'.

Meanwhile, sanity begins to prevail.. Of sorts.

I speak of Colorado Senate GOP candidate Rep. Cory Gardner, who has been a very vocal supporter of personhood measures, this week changed his position on personhood:

He said that after learning more about the measures, which would have had the impact of outlawing abortion, he realized the proposals also could ban certain forms of contraception, a prohibition he does not support.

"This was a bad idea driven by good intentions," he told The Denver Post. "I was not right. I can't support personhood now. I can't support personhood going forward. To do it again would be a mistake."

Gardner, a Yuma Republican who has represented the conservative 4th Congressional District since 2011, late last month jumped in the U.S. Senate race to try to unseat Democrat Mark Udall.

He did not say when he changed his mind on personhood, but said he began examining it more closely after voters rejected it by a 3-to-1 margin in 2010.

Well duh..

Personhood USA is decidedly peeved. While ignoring that voters struck down two personhood measures in the past, it released this statement about Gardner's change of stance and his beliefs that personhood should not be applied in situations of rape:

The Personhood movement has seen overwhelming growth in Colorado over the past six years. As a movement, nearly half a million signatures have been collected for personhood amendments in Colorado alone. Indeed, ColoradoPols notes that Cory Gardner would likely not have been elected had he not announced support for Personhood in 2010.

“Don’t forget that Gardner’s public support for Personhood came in 2010, when Gardner was wooing Republican voters in order to become the GOP nominee in CD-4. Gardner might have had trouble winning that nomination in 2010 had he not been such a firm supporter of Personhood. If Gardner really doesn’t support Personhood now, then he was being disingenuous at best by claiming such fervent belief in 2010.”

“Personhood isn’t one of those squishy issues that people don’t have a strong feeling about one way or the other. Gardner didn’t just flip-flop on giving subsidies to Ukraine; where you stand on Personhood is much more of a core belief that speaks to who you are as a human being.” http://coloradopols.com/diary/55833/why-would-cory-gardner-flip-flop-on-personhood

Cory Gardner’s new stance, opposing the Republican party platform and decrying protection for babies conceived in rape, is an affront to his constituents. We can only hope that Congressman Gardner will research and recant the false information he parroted to the Denver Post and return to the values that got him into office.

And Gardner is not alone in the about face on personhood measures. I guess there is some hope. It's only taken them 3 years. Perhaps it might take our neighbours less time to recognise what the actual subject is...

Personhood USA is not happy. This coupled with failing to garner the signatures required to put a personhood measure on the next ballot in Mississippi in their third attempt to push personhood into law in Mississippi, this hasn't been a great month for them. While these States have rejected these measures repeatedly, they are still trying. However most people are aware of what happens when personhood is declared and the inherent dangers and risks to women and their pregnancies.

It didn't end there for the pro-life movement..

Missouri Governor has advised he may veto a Bill that would restrict abortions even more, because it lacked any exemptions for rape and incest victims. The Bill was designed to force women to wait 3 days before they could access an abortion. I guess he realised that forcing rape and incest victims to wait was not acceptable.

Pretentious Rigor

I still think once in a while of the people who try to call this a science site. Our neighbors are evidence of why I laugh at that claim. Then again, I'm probably an outlier. The scientists I know are generally the crazy sort who think academic rigor is not only useful and appropriate, but also necessary in more subjective discussions such as politics, ethics, history, and even art. It would seem that our "science" site needs constant intravenous excrement, as we're supposed to suddenly consider abstract moral authority and even apparent magick among the functional components of rational discourse.
From the academic rigor of two Australian bioethicists:
After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?

Alberto Giubilini, Francesca Minerva

Abstract

Abortion is largely accepted even for reasons that do not have anything to do with the fetus' health. By showing that (1) both fetuses and newborns do not have the same moral status as actual persons, (2) the fact that both are potential persons is morally irrelevant and (3) adoption is not always in the best interest of actual people, the authors argue that what we call ‘after-birth abortion’ (killing a newborn) should be permissible in all the cases where abortion is, including cases where the newborn is not disabled.

The alleged right of individuals (such as fetuses and newborns) to develop their potentiality, which someone defends,8 is over-ridden by the interests of actual people (parents, family, society) to pursue their own well-being because, as we have just argued, merely potential people cannot be harmed by not being brought into existence. Actual people's well-being could be threatened by the new (even if healthy) child requiring energy, money and care which the family might happen to be in short supply of. Sometimes this situation can be prevented through an abortion, but in some other cases this is not possible. In these cases, since non-persons have no moral rights to life, there are no reasons for banning after-birth abortions.

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/03/01/medethics-2011-100411.full
How could they simply ignore the significances of childbirth? It’s as if they’d never researched the countless academic references to the Dry Foot Policy of Personhood.

You're half right: I no longer care

I only have so much time to devote to my social responsibilities so I'll keep this short.

Or they are just certain types of individuals who have their own agenda and have no plan to actually address reality.

Oh, like we do again and again? The obsession the two of you have have with refusing a simple rhetorical device astounds me. First in your view it's a real plan so that Capracus is trying to kill women, then when we shout down that ridiculous gambit it's just a bad rhetorical device, which it isn't. Maybe I should just do what anyone else would have done about now: DF isn't the law and never will be, because it's a sick concept.

So they dance around it, correct grammar, because you know, that's always helpful to point out to someone who has NOT FUCKING SLEPT IN A WEEK THAT SHE SHOULD HAVE SAID "ARE" INSTEAD OF "IS" and a really great way to avoid the actual issue.

So your not sleeping means something to the discussion. Mkay. Bells, I don't care if you don't sleep in a month, or a year. You've done this before, where you drag your supposed personal condition into these things and demand we validate your sketchy viewpoints because you're apparently having a rough go. Well, I can't prove any of that and based on your conduct up to this point I'm beginning to doubt that any of it is so. No one 'danced around' anything and you know it. We've outlined a pretty clear argument and your response is to raise issues that have already been dealt with. When I ask for specific information above - like why CC is relevant, what 2003 study this is that you mention - you just blow it off and get back on asserting that we avoid the case: "certain types of individuals". And you do it in the colourful third-person you learned from Tiassa, which fools no one. To wit:

It's not that they are overlooking it.

They simply do not care. Look at Balerion's comments in the other thread. The mother is a non-person.

That is a lie, AFAIK. Cite, or silence.

The only thing that matters is the "child". Notice how the language changes to tug at the heart strings, the "child". It's despicable.

It's despicable to call a viable fetus a child?

When I provide real life situations, and I could have kept going as there are thousands of such examples in the US alone, they deem it irrelevant.

So your solution to misapplied law is to pre-empt all law by giving the mother absolute rights. If I may speak for the 'working group': please excuse us all if we find that an absurd proposition and liable to abuse. In what other system is a person of one group or another given such absolute latitude? Preposterous and disingenuous. The examples, which occur under the present law, have nothing to do with my proposition.

Their participation in this thread was never about discussing the issue. They cannot address it within the confines of reality, so they ignore it.

This is the "rubber-glue" defense again.

It was because they want to whine about you and I being moderators. Pure and simple.

Well, I can't say that your behaviour on the thread hasn't been an example of why you shouldn't have any responsibilities on SF. Every time you detract from the issue, misrepresent what's we've been saying, offer red herrings, false dilemmas, you reinforce this point. In particular, you have a wild obsession with personhood which one or both of you try to force as an all-or-nothing choice: this is false dilemma, since a) present abortion limits carries on without such an address, and b) biologically-derived elements (from my thesis) would be no less capable of calling a deadline for the application of the label anyway. It's a red herring designed to force those who agree with a more reasonable deadline ont

Did you address the points?

Yup.

Did you provide examples to back up your assertion that women would have rights?

Of a philosophy that isn't actually being implemented yet? That would be quite a trick. Let's ask a reverse question here: did you give cherry-picked examples of failures in the proper legal protection of women unrelated to the selection of a properly determined biological breakpoint? Yes. In short, you offered up herrings again. Did you misrepresent your opponents as people trying to kill women and children? Yes. I don't think there's anything that can be said now to bolster up your DF view; it's nascent immorality and complete lack of logic speak almost as poorly of it as your defense has been. DF, Bells, is dead. Since you like to talk a little triumphalist, how about this: DF is not now the law of the land, and will never be, given its obvious shortcomings. It is a terrible idea that is tossed up by its defenders - half of which appear not to know what it means - as a false alternative to personhood-at-fertilisation (PAF). It is equally ridiculous and reprehensible.

It's clear to me that each person in this thread has come to their own but inevitable conclusion on this DF idea you're pushing. It's so clearly a terrible idea that it astounds me further that you can be surprised by the result.

And the outpouring of this idea is offense, frustrated rage, character attacks, insults and avoidance, among other things. Your newest irrelevant complaint is that Balerion dared say the word "child". Don't like that word? Does it hurt? Well, maybe you should consider the implications of DF policy right up to your newly purported 33-week deadline, which frankly I don't believe you think is a real limit anyway.

Translation and revelation

Well look at Balerion's arguments. He completely dismisses reality.

Translation: he completely dismisses the cherry-picked examples, because they're examples of violation of the spirit of the present laws, not of a biological determination.

Balerion wants to mansplain to me how women have rights..

Translation: Balerion is a man, and therefore should have no opinion.

Balerion's reaction is not because he gives a shit about "the child". His participation in this thread, as well as GeoffP's and Billvon's is to protest against the moderation.

Translation: I'm upset that these dirty men got upset about my insulting them and using offensive straw men to characterise them as woman-haters and/or child-haters. I'm a moderator and that gives me license to act as I like rather than following the debating rules we all agreed to.

We are meant to believe that their proposal for abortions will grant women rights when reality dictates that women miscarrying or even giving birth are being denied every single one of their rights while the foetus is given personhood rights to the detriment and sometimes the life of the mother? Are we meant to be that naive?

Translation: while DF policy is not law now and, likely, never will be, their ideas seem a little too final for me and are guaranteed to ensure that DF policy could never be implemented. Thus, I shall raise unrelated violations of present law and insist they advance specific new measures of protection rather than just referring to the standards of the proposal. I feel sure that this tactic will work to shame them out of the argument.

It's a joke. It always has been.

Yes, I can tell. Sorry, where again did you get the "dry foot" policy from, exactly?

Which definition would you like with that, sir?

Meanwhile, here's the thing; and I'm repeating myself here:

[font=monospace[B]]Dry-foot describes a point at which the question of one "person" asserting rights inside and over another person's body objectively ceases to exist, [/B]as the one "person" is now unquestionably a person, and, furthermore, no longer exists inside another person.

To the one, dry-foot has long been an implication of "her body, her business". But that implication has pretty much remained abstract, as the abortion access movement has been working to preserve the curtailment of a woman's authority over her body allowed by Roe v. Wade against those who would extend that curtailment to the moment of fertilization.

And the anti-abortion movement has been putting up specific FAP bills with equal protection language in them. The question I am asking must eventually find resolution.[/font]​

This is fascinating, because it sounds like you're pushing birth as the "bright line" for ending DF rights again. But I know that can't be it because earlier Bells told us it was 33 weeks. Tell you what: why don't you two confer and decide what it is that your policy really means? I know you like to talk a lot about "reality", so this would be a good opportunity to address it.

But they're down to, Why can't you change the subject?

Of course. By addressing the subject again and again, what we really mean is why can't you change the subject?

I still think once in a while of the people who try to call this a science site.

You've certainly done your part there.

Our neighbors are evidence of why I laugh at that claim. Then again, I'm probably an outlier. The scientists I know are generally the crazy sort who think academic rigor is not only useful and appropriate, but also necessary in more subjective discussions such as politics, ethics, history, and even art. It would seem that our "science" site needs constant intravenous excrement, as we're supposed to suddenly consider abstract moral authority and even apparent magick among the functional components of rational discourse.

Speaking as an actual scientist, one de riguer element of intellectual rigour is clear definition; another is the address of facts to theory rather than false dilemma, red herring and base mathematical ignorance. This may seem a little dissant to you.

And, you know, if this is one of the places where we are to celebrate wingnuttery, a memo would be nice.

Oh so now it's the administration's fault that you're being debated. On a debate site.

Right.

Oh, is this what you've been doing?

Actually, I think the logic works this way:

Evidence affirming a trend can be entirely refuted by the presentation of statistical outliers. That is to say, a single counterexample must be taken to mean the asserted evident trend is wholly refuted, regardless of whether or not that example actually addresses anything.

In other words, intellectual sloth.

So this was the objective of your - and Bells' - repeated citations of cases that had nothing to do with the proposition? Because this is your perspective with respect to the biological suggestion.

You know, most people in don't go so far as to admit their methodologies when they engage in intellectually dishonest practice. But you're actually giving us your MO here.

From the academic rigor of two Australian bioethicists:

How could they simply ignore the significances of childbirth? It’s as if they’d never researched the countless academic references to the Dry Foot Policy of Personhood.
Why are you still misrepresenting the 'dry foot' argument?

And what you linked would be classified as murder in just about all legal jurisdictions - plus it doesn't deal with reality (I know, reality is a hard concept to grasp these days). And you are still not addressing the issue in the OP.

It also kind of pays to do some research into what you are posting or misrepresenting things:

When we decided to write this article about after-birth abortion we had no idea that our paper would raise such a heated debate.

“Why not? You should have known!” people keep on repeating everywhere on the web. The answer is very simple: the article was supposed to be read by other fellow bioethicists who were already familiar with this topic and our arguments. Indeed, as Professor Savulescu explains in his editorial, this debate has been going on for 40 years.

We started from the definition of person introduced by Michael Tooley in 1975 and we tried to draw the logical conclusions deriving from this premise. It was meant to be a pure exercise of logic: if X, then Y. We expected that other bioethicists would challenge either the premise or the logical pattern we followed, because this is what happens in academic debates. And we believed we were going to read interesting responses to the argument, as we already read a few on this topic in religious websites.

However, we never meant to suggest that after-birth abortion should become legal. This was not made clear enough in the paper. Laws are not just about rational ethical arguments, because there are many practical, emotional, social aspects that are relevant in policy making (such as respecting the plurality of ethical views, people’s emotional reactions etc). But we are not policy makers, we are philosophers, and we deal with concepts, not with legal policy.

Moreover, we did not suggest that after birth abortion should be permissible for months or years as the media erroneously reported.

If we wanted to suggest something about policy, we would have written, for example, a comment related the Groningen Protocol (in the Netherlands), which is a guideline that permits killing newborns under certain circumstances (e.g. when the newborn is affected by serious diseases). But we do not discuss guidelines in the paper. Rather we acknowledged the fact that such a protocol exists and this is a good reason to discuss the topic (and probably also for publishing papers on this topic).

And wow GeoffP. Six posts in a row and still not able to support your contention (or provide any studies or evidence) that women will not lose their rights with your definition of personhood, or are you able to answer the questions in the OP...

Your clear arguments that you supposedly outlined have nothing to do with reality. Women today are being denied their Constitutional rights and bodily integrity while pregnant. This is not made up or fantastic scenarios. But real life. And this is for women who actually want to have their 'babies'. And you are arguing that the State declaring the fetus to be a "person" will ensure the protection of women? I'll give you a hint, when even right wing pro-life from moment of conception supporters are recognising that declaring personhood will result in untold issues regarding the woman's rights, to the point where they are withdrawing support for such measures, then you kind of don't have a real leg to stand on..

You have provided nothing to support your argument except to demand that we accept it on your say so. Ermm okay.. Who are you again? King of the world? Nup. Important in any way to influence policy? Nope. Involved in women's rights organisations? No proof so far that you are.

Things don't happen just because you believe they will, GeoffP. This may happen in your mythical East Korea, but this is the real world, where real and actual people live and where real and actual women are losing their rights. So your assertion that there will be exemptions.. Even ultra right wing politicians are being forced to admit that there cannot be exemptions when personhood is declared, GeoffP, because of what personhood legally entails. So I have to ask, which choir are you preaching to here?

So I'll ask you again and hopefully this time you can answer and support your assertion and arguments with something other than your say so.. What happens to the woman's rights when personhood is declared for her foetus? Studies? Anything from reputable sites? Go on, try.

Fetal rights advocates believe that certain restrictions on specific fundamental rights of pregnant women, as a group, are constitutional on two grounds. First, the right of the fetus to be born healthy overrides a woman’s rights to privacy. Second, the applicability of the Fourteenth Amendment’s equal protection guarantee should not be strictly applied because pregnant women’s actions may simultaneously adversely affect the health and well-being of another person—-the fetus. Therefore, pregnant women comprise a class separate from non-pregnant persons, and constraints on their fundamental rights to engage in particular behavior should not be subjected to the same “strict scrutiny.

Oh look.. She cannot maintain or have equal rights to the fetus once personhood is declared. What a surprise.

Subordinating a pregnant woman’s rights to the unborn fetus is unique in our system. There are no comparable situations where a male’s bodily integrity is forcibly violated to provide for another “person.” In this regard, the fetus has greater rights than a born person. A born child does not have the right to force his/her parents to undergo any form of bodily invasion, even a blood test, without the person’s consent. Both common law and statutory law have long upheld the right of a person to refuse to allow others to invade his or her bodilyintegrity

In addition to procedural due process and privacy, state intervention of behalf of the fetus has denied (particularly poor and minority) women’s Fourteenth Amendment right to equal protection. Pregnant poor women and non white women are disproportionately subject to forced cesarean sections,as well as punishment for substance abuse. Partly because poor women are more often treated at public hospitals, they are more likely to be tested by physicians for drug use. Both addicted and non-addicted African-American women also are less likely to receive adequate prenatal care, thereby increasing the risk of an injured baby. Negative racial and class stereotypes make poor non-white pregnant women easy targets, facilitating prosecution instead of assistance.

More generally, sex discrimination is a major reason for the subordination of women’s rights to those of the fetus. Women are reduced to “vessels” or “potential vessels” that carry the unborn. Pregnant women, and by extension all women are thereby rendered invisible, reduced to nothing more than moveable uteruses.

So yeah, what happens to the mother's rights when personhood is declared again? Please provide some studies to support your assertions. Your say so doesn't really cut it.

Ssdd

Why are you still misrepresenting the 'dry foot' argument?

I don't think you know what DF is. Let's have a concrete definition that you and Tiassa can agree on.

And wow GeoffP. Six posts in a row and still not able to support your contention (or provide any studies or evidence) that women will not lose their rights with your definition of personhood, or are you able to answer the questions in the OP...

False. These questions have been dealt with above. Stop lying, please.

Your clear arguments that you supposedly outlined have nothing to do with reality. Women today are being denied their Constitutional rights and bodily integrity while pregnant.

Those are in-spirit violations of existing law, not of my proposition. The only fantastic scenario here is DF. Moving on.

You have provided nothing to support your argument except to demand that we accept it on your say so. Ermm okay.. Who are you again? King of the world? Nup. Important in any way to influence policy? Nope. Involved in women's rights organisations? No proof so far that you are.

And, since DF is not policy now, nor ever will be, you are less even than that.

Things don't happen just because you believe they will, GeoffP. This may happen in your mythical East Korea, but this is the real world, where real and actual people live and where real and actual women are losing their rights. So your assertion that there will be exemptions.. Even ultra right wing politicians are being forced to admit that there cannot be exemptions when personhood is declared, GeoffP, because of what personhood legally entails. So I have to ask, which choir are you preaching to here?

Ultra-right wing politicians are fools to buy into the false dilemma, as are those that demand unlimited abortion rights. Out of curiosity, which existing laws assert personhood? Thanks.

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

Still misrepresenting what you believe is the DF policy?

And worse yet, still not answering the questions in the OP with supporting evidence, studies, case studies to support your assertion that applying personhood to a fetus will not endanger the woman's Constitutional rights, due process and bodily integrity?

Twelve pages now. You're on a roll..

Aren't you meant to be some sort of scientists? And you are blindly asserting that women would not lose their rights when personhood is declared for the fetus without being able to support this assertion with some factual evidence?

Let's see.. I have provided real life cases where women lost all of their rights. I provided studies which detail the legality of personhood and how it affects the mother - all of which clearly specify how and why women lose their rights and endanger their lives the moment personhood is declared.

How about we have a look at the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and what they think of the personhood measures? Hmm?

The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) is unequivocally opposed to the so-called "personhood" laws or amendments being considered in several states. These measures erode women's basic rights to privacy and bodily integrity; deny women access to the full spectrum of preventive health care including contraception; and undermine the doctor-patient relationship. ACOG firmly believes that science must be at the core of public health policies and medical decision-making that affect the health and life of women.

Like Mississippi's failed "Personhood Amendment" Proposition 26, these misleading and ambiguously worded "personhood" measures substitute ideology for science and represent a grave threat to women's health and reproductive rights that, if passed, would have long-term negative outcomes for our patients, their families, and society. Although the individual wording in these proposed measures varies from state to state, they all attempt to give full legal rights to a fertilized egg by defining "personhood" from the moment of fertilization, before conception (ie, pregnancy/ implantation) has occurred. This would have wide-reaching harmful implications for the practice of medicine and on women's access to contraception, fertility treatments, pregnancy termination, and other essential medical procedures.

These "personhood" proposals, as acknowledged by proponents, would make condoms, natural family planning, and spermicides the only legally allowed forms of birth control. Thus, some of the most effective and reliable forms of contraception, such as oral contraceptives, intrauterine devices (IUDs), and other forms of FDA-approved hormonal contraceptives could be banned in states that adopt "personhood" measures. Women's very lives would be jeopardized if physicians were prohibited from terminating life-threatening ectopic and molar pregnancies. Women who experience pregnancy loss or other negative pregnancy outcomes could be prosecuted in some cases.

So-called "personhood" measures would have a negative impact on fertility treatments, including in vitro fertilization (IVF), that allow otherwise infertile couples to achieve pregnancy and create their families. Such proposals would also invariably ban embryonic stem cell research, depriving all of society potential lifesaving therapies.

ACOG supports guaranteed access to the full array of clinical and reproductive services appropriate to each individual woman's needs throughout her life. These "personhood" measures must be defeated in the best interest of women's health.

Sooooo GeoffP, what evidence do you have that they are all wrong, and that women will not be at risk of losing their Constitutional and bodily rights?

So after giving a good, long, hard look into all of this and rethinking my position... I can only come to the conclusion that, in the end, so long as we know no physical pain or harm comes to the child, the abortion should be allowable at any time. The ONLY stipulation I would make on this is that the woman must be given access to ALL of the facts and ALL of the options first, so that she, and she alone, can make a fully educated decision. She must be alerted to the fact that there is a chance, no matter how small, that such a procedure could have side effects (including the slim possibility of infection or damage to the cervix, etc).

Then again, I feel like this should be done for any and all medical/surgical procedures; I was injured as a result of a hospital using incorrect equipment for the task, and the dangers of the procedure had not been explained to my wife or I at all... in the end, I had to be transferred to another hospital to have the damage fixed and the original procedure carried out.

But, yeah... far as I can tell, having taken a more objective look into this, there is nothing to suggest that the fetus would feel pain in the sense that we think of pain. Further study on this might one day shed light on this, but... *shrug* Fuck it, I was wrong. Nothing more to say about it really.

Bells - for my hard headedness and inability to see the simple points you were trying to make, you have my apologies. I let myself fall into a tunnel vision of sorts... I as so assured that my position was correct that, even while looking for supporting evidence, I didn't take the time to research the other side of the issue. This left me with a not only incomplete picture, but a wholly inaccurate and irresponsible one. I cannot apologize to you enough for that, and all I can do is say that I will strive to make sure I do not commit such mistakes in the future.

I still don't believe abortion should necessarily be the first or only option considered... but that is a personal belief, nothing more, and it has no business interfering with a persons right to choose their own actions. I also feel that we, as a species, need to get better at planning ahead with our actions... but that is something that can, unfortunately, only come with time... and as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Half Full, Half Empty, or Just Polluted?

Bells said:

Aren't you meant to be some sort of scientists?

Well,you know—

"About that fuzzy line: actually the question disappears at the point of viability."

magickal science.

And that's the funny thing; among those who believe in magick, there is an idea of magickal sciences. To the other, I will take the time to learn how to perform a Norbrook Threepass Test to detect sorcerous fields shortly after sorcerous fields can be demonstrated to exist.

But remember—

Sooooo GeoffP, what evidence do you have that they are all wrong, and that women will not be at risk of losing their Constitutional and bodily rights?

—that's an unfair question, because Geoff has repeatedly demanded we change the subject.

After all, as near as we can tell

"If you're unacquainted with mathematics, biology and reality."

—the assertion is that if one is a mathematician and biologist not suffering from any delusion, then the conflict of equal protection magickally disappears.

It's the atheist version of 'God did it'.

I admit I do wonder why you bother responding to Balerion at all; there really is no chance for him to be constructive in this discussion until he at least postulates an objective derivation for the "moral duty" he has cited. Until then, he might as well be just another religious wingnut bawling about aesthetics.

And, of course, Geoff is perfectly willing

"So you don't feel any obligations to a subjective moral authority? Many other people do, Tiassa, theists and atheists both. If you want to call it a kind of irrationalism, go right ahead."

—to support that idiotic twist.

I mean, they are essentially, functionally, back to invoking God as a justification for their outlooks. Unless, of course, there is an objective derivation of that moral duty and the abstract authority that charges it.

And Gardner is not alone in the about face on personhood measures. I guess there is some hope. It's only taken them 3 years.

The general regard in the American punditry—from the news organizations on down to the armchair wonks—is that Gardner is engaging a cynical ploy. He can win office without the wingnuts, but he can't win office without a healthy crossover vote regardless of whether he has the wingnuts or not.

And I would point to the morbid joke about 2010, and the Republican agenda of jobs, jobs, jobs ... jabortion. Congressman Gardner is a Republican, so there remains a valid, even pressing, question whether his newfound sense of the obvious remains after election.

Meanwhile, here's a fun one: Yesterday (Pacific Time) saw our version of a midterm Super Tuesday, with the biggest primary day of the season taking place. The Georgia ballot was of particular interest, largely because so many Republicans were competing for the seat held by retiring Sen. Saxby Chambliss.

Three congressmen put their names in the hat. And here's the thing: If they don't win the primary, their Congressional career goes on hold.

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA10), shepherd of the Congressional personhood bill, did not make the cut. As of January, he gets to sit down somewhere other than in the House of Representatives for two years at least. To the other, Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA1) did survive the primary, and in 2011 he co-sponsored (along with Rep. Broun) HR 212, an earlier version of the same bill.

Then again, even if it is merely cynical political calculation, at least Rep. Gardner is capable of reading the writing on the wall. And that ... I don't know, probably ... counts for something.

'Best defense no be there'

Still misrepresenting what you believe is the DF policy?

Still avoiding stating exactly what it is? That's one way to protect it, I guess. No need to cry about it: just explain exactly what you want by it, and then confer with Tiassa. There's no need to both misrepresent and hide your stance, Bells.

And worse yet, still not answering the questions in the OP with supporting evidence, studies, case studies to support your assertion that applying personhood to a fetus will not endanger the woman's Constitutional rights, due process and bodily integrity?

Oh, I've discussed the false dilemma of personhood for some time now. Do you mean to say you've been dodging it for 12 pages? Without even a definition of what it is you're pretending to support now?

Aren't you meant to be some sort of scientists?

I'm now more than one scientist? I guess I can understand your confusion.

And you are blindly asserting that women would not lose their rights when personhood is declared for the fetus without being able to support this assertion with some factual evidence?

Are you back on personhood again? Is this the only way that you can promote whatever it is you're pretending is the issue? It's not exactly relevant to my concept. I guess I could try to reach you again: so how does personhood fit into present abortion limitations? Neither you nor Tiassa have so much as dared to approach this with a ten-foot pole. What's scaring you about answering the question?

Let's see.. I have provided real life cases where women lost all of their rights. I provided studies which detail the legality of personhood and how it affects the mother - all of which clearly specify how and why women lose their rights and endanger their lives the moment personhood is declared.

Yup, under existing laws. Is this relevant in some way? Or is it that you consider the present laws equally offensive, so that any limitations on abortion are wrongful in your eyes? Actually, I think I just answered my own question there.

I'm tired: is it a red herring or a strawman when you hold up violations of the spirit of existing law in order to tarnish a superior conception of realistic limits on abortion?

I guess it doesn't matter when the only goalpost is no limits.

What's right is right, but you ain't been right yet...

Well,you know—

"About that fuzzy line: actually the question disappears at the point of viability."

magickal science.

Thanks for linking to my post again: it is a cogent and interesting one, I agree. But you can't tell me this is the entirety of your act! For one thing, I would be hugely amused to see you try to dance your way through how that's all "magical". :D I realise that technical and intellectual progress are sadly uneven across the US, but do you burn obstetricians out your way, too? And what's the Church penalty for ultrasound technicians?

—that's an unfair question, because Geoff has repeatedly demanded we change the subject.

Sayeth the High Priest of the Raging Ego.

After all, as near as we can tell

"If you're unacquainted with mathematics, biology and reality."

—the assertion is that if one is a mathematician and biologist not suffering from any delusion, then the conflict of equal protection magickally disappears.

I laughed when I read this new delusion. The sad thing is that anyone at all could understand it, regardless of their background. I'm not sure which of the above is your failing, but I've already explained in detail. Hell, just the fact of the false dilemma - and I doubt not you're ignorant of that also - is sufficient to end the discussion on the subject.

So, since you're so devoted to the concept, it's fitting to ask "what's that dilemma holding up, exactly?" What's it propping up? DF isn't law, and it isn't on the scope of American politics - its nearly complete absence from the intertubes, for example, is surely just a Republican plot - but it might be, someday. Or, probably not. Anyway, your hysterical dilemma is tied to it as though my idea somehow wipes away all the abortion protections already due women but which are not employed due to violations of the spirit of such protection by people not vastly unlike yourself.

I mean, they are essentially, functionally, back to invoking God as a justification for their outlooks.

Ah, back on slagging atheism again. Never get tired of this one. "You think you have a moral duty of some kind but accept no God as it's source." I can't decide if it's childish, or myopic, or both. Could you define the 'functional' parameters that make up your farce? I mean, what you're saying is that without God there isn't any morality. I thought we'd come past that - hell, I've even listed a number of factors relevant to the question - but why would you pick the honest choice when you have license to behave like any other troll? It's not something I'd do, mind; oh, damned atheist.

Back