Faith, and taking a chance

Is it truly impossible to understand the universe?

Why, I know the truth.

How can you say you know the truth, when to me I though you where admiting to be a fool. (Don't get me wrong I'm a fool as well but from one fool to another)

I have no way of knowing. I can conjecture until the end of time and I still won't be any closer to knowing, so why bother?"

Why bother...Why not?

There's a fine line between knowing the limits of what's knowable and being a fool.

Can you deny the truth of my statement?

You may conjecture if you wish, that's your business; I'm just as happy devoting my thoughts to other things, though I often find myself in awe of the sheer magnitude of the universe and wondering how it came about. However, I don't feel the need to foist my ideas about Creation and our Purpose here on others. If people want to ASK me then go ahead, but I won't waste their time otherwise.

There's a fine line between knowing the limits of what's knowable and being a fool
But aren't we all fools in the end so how can one walk the line if we are essentially walking blind. My question is if there is such i line how could one recignize it.
Can you deny the truth of my statement?
True I cannot deny the possibilty of truth in your statment.

Are all things in life nothing but inconclusive evidence. What can one say fore sure acctually exists?

I did not ask for your opinion on creation (which would be interesting on its own so feel free to post it, I'm all ears). What I ment to ask you was do you had any reson to believe that the universe is comprenedable?
I'm just as happy devoting my thoughts to other things, though I often find myself in awe of the sheer magnitude of the universe and wondering how it came about.
Hey each to his own, for me I ask the question since I find it helps me along in life. My theory is that if truth where to be realize one could start walking their true path.

Originally posted by notme2000
To those theists who argue that since there may be a God, why take the chance of rejecting him...

Well, to some of us taking the chance that there isn't a God and living life to it's fullest is more important.

Just thought I'd clear up that issue.

notme2000,

Living life to the fullest? do you not consider a being that is infinite in nature, offering inmortality. Life could not get no more fuller. Inmortality is powerfull & delicious, and it beats burning in brimstorne, anyday. (he-he)

ThatJerk:
Problem is, the church has done such a good job of propoganda that the term 'atheist' has come to mean someone who is evil, deluded, or a Satanist.

Or all three. Indeed, buying into stereotypes can be fun.

Empty Dragon:
Ridiculing the way of another, what does that accomplish?

It amuses me. I was bored.

Xev it sounds like you have some pent up hostility,

I have manifested boredom and Fight Club was closed.

your (sic) an atheist go jerk off (Put that left hand to good use)

Unlike you, I do not need my hand as my sole source of sexual stimulation. Sorry that you do.

Do any of you here know the truth? I sure as hell don't. Every individual on this planet most likley (sic) has one or two lessons to teach you. You may not learn the lesson that they intend to teach you but hey you learn something. Isn't that what the search is all about?

Since when was anybody searching for anything?

Remove your head from your ass, embrace your nature as an insulting git and come up with some better insults.

If your an atheist why does the church concern you?

Because I live in a country where my rights as an American are being attacked by the musclemen of the world. Because I love my country. Higher ideals may be foriegn to you, but not to me.

Re: The only honest answer.

Originally posted by ThatJerk
Why, I know the truth.

The world is as we can percieve it with our five senses (and now with more efficient instruments as science progresses). When science answers the 'how' and 'why' of one thing 100 more questions arise.

ThatJerk,
Well is it a page from my post or did we think alike?

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=175843#post175843

(SrinivasAG is now UltiTruth)
Originally posted by SrinivasAG
We humans have five senses (including hopefully, tony1)- see, hear, feel, taste and smell. Did you know that Bats that we see clinging around have a unique sensory mechanism that allows them to produce and perceive ultrasonic waves- they navigate with this sense, night or day. Some viper snakes can actually 'see' heat! All this just to say that what we perceive about the world is just miniscule. Imagine for a moment that no human had eyes- would we ever have imagined that there does exist something called light at all?

One fact that we should probably keep in mind is that God must be amazingly larger and powerful than ANY of us CAN ever imagine. Science says the Universe has no bounds- but how can anything have no bounds? from what we have learned to believe- no bounds, but's beyond that?
Did you ever watch a single cell form a young baby by its own on Discovery channel? Yes, it is the enzymes and proteins, the DNA and blah blah blah that does it, but how? Who measures the exact ppm of testosterone that is needed to make the foetus male- Jesus, Allah, the Buddha or Siva?

And if one among us selects one of them (even if tony1 does it!) and thinks one is right, it shows one is small and doesn't EVEN think big- good luck. Nevertheless, as a belief, yes, we may choose one over another because we are more comfortable with that philosphy. If the eastern philosophy has God saying "I am everything- all you need to do is do your duty", and all the supreme is 'Maya', the universal power, yes, this may be closer to what I think.

Doesn't the concept of every human being a small part of a bigger power, fusing with the larger power ultimately sound more reasonable than dying and going to heaven to the mansion you choose?

The Bible or any other holy books or epics are mere interpretations of what people felt and may be right and supreme at the point of time that they were written. If we try to shoot at them, hardly any religious book would come unscathed. Does the Bible even stand the scientific truths that have now been established beyond doubt? No book would.

We need to take what best we can make out of the books, match with the big picture and move on. Just remember, what we believe is mere speculations of what God can be like, not what He is. Just choose what is close. God doesn't care! It is just like what one of your body cells thinks- you never care.

And if are filled with a peculiar stunned confusion when you read this, sort of like being hit in the head real hard, may be the head is not made to take the pressure. Leave it those with better clarity of thought! All the millions who follow other faiths have heads too, may be better ones.
And in this smallness, if we have somone knocking at the door to 'save' us, all we can do is smile!

I just want to say, I wasn't knocking Xev for her sence of humour, I was making a point that teasing someone for there beliefs is immature. I'm not trying to change Muscleman's beliefs, just want him to be tolerant of other people's choices... But it seems this is a lesson both Muscleman and Xev have to learn. I am an athiest, I make those kinds of jokes all the time, but not to a christian's face, that's just mean and pointless. I'm not preaching, I'm just defending muscle man's right to believe in a God, just like I'd defend Xev's right not to.

Last edited:
Nescience

We-e-elll... history... ish... we're not really sure if the Israelites ever WERE in Egypt. It's possible, but there's precious little evidence of that fact, and there's some that they never were. History in the bible is distorted, at best... I'll take my high school text-book, thanks.

So are you denying the Israelites ever existed? What about the Canaanites? If you live by such an ignorant standard, what meaning does "history" have for you?

How is it great literature?

Read the Synopic Gospels, read John, read the Luke Acts, Johannine, Pauline Letters etc. I ask you to analyze and challenge the authors of these writings, what are they trying to convey?

Doubling in Mark
Schematism in Matthew
Symbollism and Schematism in John
Romanticism, Universalism, and Repentence-Forgiveness in Luke

It is beautiful Literature, and if you think it is a bunch of crap, then I greatly pity you and your prejudice.

The New Testament is certainly an improvement, but it still has some glaring problems; Jesus approves of slavery and racism, for example, not to mention promising that cities who turn out his rabble-rousers will be destroyed.

Of course the Bible has problems, it is not a perfect book as some theists like to believe.

If these are parables then they are advocating that Christians either kill non-believers (O.T. style) or try and convert them and then wait for God to destroy them if they resist (N.T. style).

Depends on your point of view on what the Bible is trying to convey.

Jesus told Peter that Jesus would go to jerusalem and suffer, be spat upon, whipped, criticized, and crucified. Peter said to Jesus, "No, you don't understand." He was trying to "set" Christ straight. If you read about Peter and understand the doubling in Mark, Peter was blind the first time, he thought Jesus would come down with chariots, trumpets, and angels in all gloriousness and God would zap the bad guys and vindicate the good guys. Only during Peter's concession did he understand. He interpreted the Old Testament as a prophesy for God to come down and zap all the bad guys. But that wasn't the point at all.

Is the story valid? Who knows, but it is good literature.

If not literally, then how SHOULD I read, say Deuteronomy, to get the 'higher meaning'?

Read, Job, the author(s) of Job speak out against Deuteronomy (orthodoxy).

Oh, and please explain why you believe the bible's authors were intelligent.

It depends on your opinion and understaind of literature.

Look at the structure and emphases in the stories, especially the Gospels, Job, etc.

Matthew's structure is beautiful, he writes schematically with A, narrative, and B, discourse. There are five periods in his schematic structure and are clearly divided from each other and fall into narrative and discourse sections, being the discourse that dominants over the narrative. The organization of Matthew, what Matthew emphasizes on, higher-righteousness, radical obedience, and the fruits.

Mark is personably my favorite, it is the shortest gospel, and probably the earliest. But the Synoptics and John are just beautiful to read and understand, the viewpoints on eschatology, their redaction criticism, and theological emphases.

Do you think any average author(s) could have written like them? I highly doubt it for that time and they are intelligent if you look at the structure and organization of such writings.

They should have, at the very least, got a competant continuity editor; whoever hacked that job sure messed it up royally. Want examples? There are many to choose from.

Those that are denouncing that the Bible is full of shit is more than enough, further carping about how it is not great literature is to be ignorant of literature.

One who says Jesus, Israelites, etc. did not exist is ignorant of history. If you do think this way, I suggest you study literature and history and just shut up with your worthless opinions and religious prejudice; it's repugnant and pathetic.

Originally posted by notme2000
I just want to say, I wasn't knocking Xev for her sence of humour, I was making a point that teasing someone for there beliefs is imature. I'm not trying to change Muscleman's beliefs, just want him to be tolerant of other people's choices... But it seems this is a lesson both Muscleman and Xev have to learn. I am an athiest, I make those kinds of jokes all the time, but not to a christian's face, that's just mean and pointless. I'm not preaching, I'm just defending muscle man's right to believe in a God, just like I'd defend Xev's right not to.

Very immature, she will always fall back upon, "Oh, it was only a joke."

Well, how many jokes are you gonna make woman? And will they be implicitly or explicitly done?

Some take religious seriously and some don't have the same sense of humour.

Essential is the keyword, it's really pointless if you aren't trying to convey a meaning with it.

Missed you Chosen, you're much more fun to taunt than anyone else.

Say, how is your attempt at "getting girls through hypnosis" going? Still resentful of the opposite sex 'cause mommy was mean during childhood?

Meh, fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

*Edit*
I just want to say, I wasn't knocking Xev for her sence of humour, I was making a point that teasing someone for there beliefs is immature. I'm not trying to change Muscleman's beliefs, just want him to be tolerant of other people's choices... But it seems this is a lesson both Muscleman and Xev have to learn. I am an athiest, I make those kinds of jokes all the time, but not to a christian's face, that's just mean and pointless. I'm not preaching, I'm just defending muscle man's right to believe in a God, just like I'd defend Xev's right not to.

I wasn't joking. I really think y'all should get busy raping the holy virgin.

Last edited:
The Chosen.

So are you denying the Israelites ever existed? What about the Canaanites? If you live by such an ignorant standard, what meaning does "history" have for you?

Are you a flid, or just dropped? When the hell did I deny the Israelites EVERY EXISTED? When did I deny the Canaanites existed? Where, pray tell, do you draw these conclusions from? I merely said there was little evidence that they had ever been in Egypt. There's a difference, friend.

Read the Synopic Gospels, read John, read the Luke Acts, Johannine, Pauline Letters etc. I ask you to analyze and challenge the authors of these writings, what are they trying to convey?

Doubling in Mark
Schematism in Matthew
Symbollism and Schematism in John
Romanticism, Universalism, and Repentence-Forgiveness in Luke

Evidently we have different literary standards. I'm not overcome with awe by the message they convey; ergo, this isn't terribly moving literature.
Save your pity for those who need it; I arrive at my conclusions through careful thought rather than pre-suppositions and knee-jerk responses.

Of course the Bible has problems, it is not a perfect book as some theists like to believe.

You have a prototypical brain. This puts you far ahead of many other Christians, congratulations.

Jesus told Peter that Jesus would go to jerusalem and suffer, be spat upon, whipped, criticized, and crucified. Peter said to Jesus, "No, you don't understand." He was trying to "set" Christ straight. If you read about Peter and understand the doubling in Mark, Peter was blind the first time, he thought Jesus would come down with chariots, trumpets, and angels in all gloriousness and God would zap the bad guys and vindicate the good guys. Only during Peter's concession did he understand. He interpreted the Old Testament as a prophesy for God to come down and zap all the bad guys. But that wasn't the point at all.

Is the story valid? Who knows, but it is good literature.

So Peter had delusions of grandeur about what Christ was supposed to be, what with God and the Divine Cavalry saving the day? Whoop-dee-shit. Ooh look, he saw the error of his ways. Sounds like any number of movies I've seen where somebody gets a reality check and changes their ways. It doesn't take a genius to write a story like that.

Read, Job, the author(s) of Job speak out against Deuteronomy (orthodoxy).

Um, ok. So how does that change the content of Deuteronomy?

It depends on your opinion and understaind of literature.

Look at the structure and emphases in the stories, especially the Gospels, Job, etc.

Matthew's structure is beautiful, he writes schematically with A, narrative, and B, discourse. There are five periods in his schematic structure and are clearly divided from each other and fall into narrative and discourse sections, being the discourse that dominants over the narrative. The organization of Matthew, what Matthew emphasizes on, higher-righteousness, radical obedience, and the fruits.

Mark is personably my favorite, it is the shortest gospel, and probably the earliest. But the Synoptics and John are just beautiful to read and understand, the viewpoints on eschatology, their redaction criticism, and theological emphases.

Do you think any average author(s) could have written like them? I highly doubt it for that time and they are intelligent if you look at the structure and organization of such writings.

How many years of college did it take you to learn terms like 'structure' and 'emphasis'? The point of this post is to emphasise how silly the bible is; that doesn't make it a pretty bit of verse by any stretch. Granted there IS some nice poetry found in the bible, that often being a common feature in religious text, but it hardly has the monopoly on nice prose; neither is it the best nor the first. Run a google search for 'ancient greek authors' for an example of great literature from before the bible's time.

Chosen, the ability to use tried and true literary techniques does NOT make an author a genius. Many authors these days write passably well using these same rules, even if they have no especial gift for writing, and many more really follow no such rules at all and create far better stuff. Don't mistake techincal prowess for genius; you're merely caught up in the whirl-wind of 'divine revelation'. You believe these texts to contain holy and beautiful truths so you instantly ascribe genius to the authors of said texts. Again with the assumptions.

Those that are denouncing that the Bible is full of shit is more than enough, further carping about how it is not great literature is to be ignorant of literature.

One who says Jesus, Israelites, etc. did not exist is ignorant of history. If you do think this way, I suggest you study literature and history and just shut up with your worthless opinions and religious prejudice; it's repugnant and pathetic.

Want contradictions? I got contradictions.

Hebrews 11:17 "By faith Abraham when he was tried, offered up Isaac, ... his only begotten son."

Did he have one son or two?

Galatians 4:22 "Abraham had two sons; the one by a bond-woman, and the other by a free woman."

Micah 7:18 "He retaineth not his anger forever, because he delighteth in mercy."

God forgives and loves to show mercy. Or maybe not.

Matthew 25:46 "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment."

Want more? They're ALL there. All 314 direct contradictions. So don't try and blow off 'carping' against the bible, unless you're prepared to try and explain away these contradictions, great and small.

:mad:
And why don't you read what I bloody write, rather than put words in my mouth for me? Deny that the Israelites existed, did I? You ignorant fool. You dare to lecture me about literature, and you can't even read a f*cking FORUM POST without missing a critical piece of f*cking information like that?

Head%20up%20Ass.jpg

Get your goddamned head out of your f*cking ass next time you try responding to me, at least long enough to wipe the shit off your lashes so you can bloody see what I've f*cking WRITTEN. Repugnant and pathetic; talk about desperation, having to outright LIE about what I've f*cking said to make a point. I only have one thing to say:

DANCE FUNDIE, DANCE!

P.S. to Xev: make fun of him more. He royally pissed me off.

Quote:

[Well, to some of us taking the chance that there isn't a God and living life to it's fullest is more important.]

be carefull with the heart attacks

UltiTruth:

I've never read a singular post by you; hell I didn't even know that there WAS an 'UltiTruth' on this board until now. Everything I wrote there was nothing more than what I've puzzled out in my mind.

Shit, I thought I had a near monopoly on having a real macroscopic perspective. Guess I was wrong. :)

The Chosen.

Are you a flid, or just dropped? When the hell did I deny the Israelites EVERY EXISTED? When did I deny the Canaanites existed? Where, pray tell, do you draw these conclusions from? I merely said there was little evidence that they had ever been in Egypt. There's a difference, friend.

Well since you are asking proof of this, again I question the whole entire history of planet earth then, HEY THAT JERK, PROVE TO ME THAT MONGOLIANS WERE REALLY THE REASON WHY CHINA BUILT THE GREAT WALL, AND PROVE TO ME KING HENRY RIDES A HORSE SOMETIMES AND PROVE TO ME KING JAMES SITS HIS BUTT DOWN ALL DAY.

Want contradictions? I got contradictions.

Hebrews 11:17 "By faith Abraham when he was tried, offered up Isaac, ... his only begotten son."

Did he have one son or two?

Galatians 4:22 "Abraham had two sons; the one by a bond-woman, and the other by a free woman."

Micah 7:18 "He retaineth not his anger forever, because he delighteth in mercy."

God forgives and loves to show mercy. Or maybe not.

Matthew 25:46 "And these shall go away into everlasting punishment."

Want more? They're ALL there. All 314 direct contradictions. So don't try and blow off 'carping' against the bible, unless you're prepared to try and explain away these contradictions, great and small.

JERK, DOES JESUS HAVE BROTHERS OR NOT? Didnt people in the bible say "Jesus your brothers, mother, and sisters are here", then Jesus said "Who is my brothers, mother, and who is my sisters? Whoever does the will of God is my brothers and sisters". Ohhh, Jesus contradict himself there or are the listeners like you FLAT OUT IGNORANT?

JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD, BUT HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE IF HE HAVE BROTHERS AND SISTERS? HE DONT IN A PHYSICAL SENSE. GOD SAID "THIS IS MY BELOVED SON WHO I AM WELL PLEASED" HOW COME GOD DIDNT SAY "THIS IS ONE OF MY BELOVED SONS" AFTER ALL WE ARE CHILDREN OF GOD?

ABRAHAM HAS ONLY ONE BELOVED SON, BELOVED MEANING "FAVORED" AS THATS HOW FAMILIES ARE THEN SPEAKING HISTORICALLY. BACK THEN WHEN THERE WERE 12 KIDS, USUALLY THERE IS ONE THAT IS ALWAYS FAVORED ABOVE ALL "BELOVED" AND USUALLY THAT FAVORED ONE IS THE YOUNGEST. EVEN JESUS SAID TO ST. JOHN WHO WAS THE YOUNGEST OF THE APOSTLES AND CALLED HIM "JOHN THE BELOVED", NOT THAT HE IS THE ONLY APOSTLE, BUT THE ONLY BELOVED APOSTLE.

WE ARE CREATED IN THE IMAGE OF GOD, HE SHOWS MERCY AND JUSTICE, PERIOD, HE DOESNT DO WHAT YOU WANT HIM TO DO.

NOTE: EDUCATE YOURSELF, AND IF U WANT POST MORE OF WHAT U THINK R BIBLE CONTRADICTIONS AND ILL PROVE YOU WRONG AS I DID HERE, YOU THATJERK YOU...

Head%20up%20Ass.jpg

DANCE JERK, DANCE!

Xev

I was not emplying in anyway that athiests are sick.Xev

I was not emplying in anyway that athiests are sick, and for the record do not assume I am christian. Sheesh Xev it was a joke jessh some athiests have no sense of humour and haven't had a bowel movement since the Triassic period.:D

And my sex life is probably better then yours :cool:

Ahh its fun being childish sometimes.:p

Xev do you search for the truth or do you accept living in an incolusive world?

Why are we debating the bible, when the name of the thread was faith and taking a chance? Its getting old, every thread ends this way.

Tonight's forecast: hot and windy, with occasional showers. Oh wait, that's just muscleman speaking. Clear the area, I'm a professional.

*smack smack smack* Bad fundie. No treat. Your arguements aren't worthy of a proper debate, so here's a blanket response:

I shudder to think that a person like you is a role-model for today's youth. I hope you're sterilised in a hilarious accident involving nose-hair scissors and duct tape so that my kids don't have to listen to musclemen jrs. yammer about how ignorant people are for not believing in fairy-tales.

Thanks thatjerk for backing down and admitting there are no bible contradictions, as a christian I know that very well. IF YOU THINK ther is bible contradiction THEN PROVE IT AND POST IT, then Ill embarass your ignorant self. You aint a coward are you? Lets have bible debate if u want.

And by the way, you dont like it when I act like you? Now you learned a lesson TO DO UNTO OTHERS WHAT YOU WANT DONE UNTO YOU, ok kid? You have many more years to come...educate yourself, listen, and learn. I AM NOT CALLING U IGNORANT FOR NOT BELIEVING IN FAIRY TALES, WHO ASKED U TO DO THAT? IM NOT, IM CVALLING YOU STUPID AND IGNORANT FOR CLAIMING GOD IS A FAIRY TAILE AND A MYTH WHEN THE FACT IS NO EVIDENCE SUPPORT YOUR CLAIM, YOUR STUPID BECAUSE YOU PRIDE YOURSELF OF BELIEVING ONLY IN WHAT HAS EVIDENCE, BUT YOU YOURSELF CANNOT PRODUCE SINGLE EVIDENCE..Period....The bible debate is still open, BUT ONLY FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT COWARDS, you aint a coward are you?

Your insults mean nothing. I have no respect for you; ergo, nothing you say affects me.

There's a difference between backing down and conceding a point in the face of superior evidence, and ceasing to beat your head on a brick wall. I grow tired of you responding to everything I say with the same idiocies; rather than waste brain-power on contradicting you I'll just insult you. It's far less time-consuming and more fun.

Give it up; no-one here takes you seriously. Most of your fellow fundies think you're a fucktard, too.

Thanks thatjerk for backing down and admitting there are no bible contradictions, as a christian I know that very well. IF YOU THINK ther is bible contradiction THEN PROVE IT AND POST IT, then Ill embarass your ignorant self. You aint a coward are you? Lets have bible debate if u want.

I just read the whole thread. Now I want you to know that this thread was originally about faith and God. Not proving that God excists.

Notice the name of the thread Faith, and taking a chance.

This is not a atheist and christian battle ground. If you want to discuss the excistance of God then go to another thread. This is about whether or not you have faith in something that might not excists.

So cut it out and go to some other place to debate this.

Back