End of Ice Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it hasn't. We're still in an ice-age. Just in an inter-glacial period.
20 thousand years or so til the glaciers return?
Of course, who knows what anthropogenic effects will do to the 'schedule'.

Then only way we'll have another Ice Age is if the oceans heat up from geothermal activity to cause much more evaporation for the dense cloud-cover necessary for an Ice Age.

Then only way we'll have another Ice Age is if the oceans heat up from geothermal activity to cause much more evaporation for the dense cloud-cover necessary for an Ice Age.

first well have global warming, than we will have lots of clouds from all the evaporation, and than well have the ice age. voila the future!

No, if the atmosphere heated to warm the ocean surface, the increased cloud-cover from that would just cool the atmosphere back down, it must be heat sourced from below to cause an Ice Age.

This thread is about the End of the Ice Age, so why don't you start a new thread about magmatic emplacements?

I was just responding to your general claims about 'the deluge' and 'runaway plate tectonics'. I agree that they are not directly relevant to the end of the ice age, so I will start a dedicated thread in the Earth science forum, where I will eagerly await your reply.

Some things that are still relevant here:

Where is the evidence for your claimed massive volcanism 3500 years ago that has perturbed C14 dating? Your claim that C14 dates are inaccurate appears to be the only thing refuting 5000-year-old human presence in northern Europe and deciduous pollen in 10,000-year-old lake sediments in northern North America. Also, why did O18 levels in polar ice rise suddenly around 10,000 years ago if the ice age ended 3500 years ago? You claim that the ice age was a result of increased ocean temperatures (and hence increased cloud cover), but the evidence does not support this.

Last edited:
Of course, who knows what anthropogenic effects will do to the 'schedule'.
One model referred to in an article I read said that these effects will blow us out of the cycle completely by raising the temperature beyond the maximum that will allow the oscillation to continue. I would not have understood the geophysics well enough to judge the legitimacity of the model so I didn't bother submerging myself in the details.

IceAgeCivilizations, I'm still interested in hearing your response to the folloing:

Where is the evidence for your claimed massive volcanism 3500 years ago that has perturbed C14 dating? Your claim that C14 dates are inaccurate appears to be the only thing refuting 5000-year-old human presence in northern Europe and deciduous pollen in 10,000-year-old lake sediments in northern North America. Also, why did O18 levels in polar ice rise suddenly around 10,000 years ago if the ice age ended 3500 years ago? You claim that the ice age was a result of increased ocean temperatures (and hence increased cloud cover), but the evidence does not support this.

Ice layers get squashed under all that weight, and carbon 14 is notoriously unreliable the farther you go back, and Santorini and Etna were exploding circa 1500 B.C., and Sargon reigned in an area of Turkey (Hittite) circa 2200 B.C. when the Caucasus were active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back