Embellishments of memory: the unreliable nature of eyewitness testimony

Shaman, my query for data that runs counter to what I've found so far in regards to the tenable nature of eyewitness testimony was genuine. It's interesting that the proponents of it's viability chose to "attack" as you say rather than discuss the issue reasonably.

Ordinarily I would attribute this to a believer defending a faith, but in VRob's case, he/she hasn't appeared to be an overly-zealous believer in the past. With regard to some of the others, it could very well be true. The religious characteristics of the ETI-UFO movement have been noted by myself and others in the past.

My latest literature review has included that of "UFOlogy" itself. The following information can be found in the International UFO Reporter (IUR), July 1977, pp 5-7, in an article by Allan Hendry titled "UFO or IFO?How IUR draws the distinction" as well as the June 1978 issue of the same magazine and author titled, "A Case For IFO Study: A Recent Example" (pp. 6-7).

It's interesting to note that the idea that the UFO phenomenon cannot be readily discounted due to the volume of eyewitness reports appears to have originated from J. Allen Hynek -the government skeptic turned believer- in the 1970's. Allen Hendry was an early investigator for Hynek's CUFOS and apparently a regular contributor to IUR.

Hendry argues in the above article that it is valuable to identify those reports that can be considered "IFOs" from the UFOs. He points out that witnesses nearly always describe the same type of UFO -a "domed disk"- even when investigation reveals an identified source of the "ufo," such as an advertising plane or celestial body. Hendry's evaluation of this tendency to embellish or exaggerate notes that it isn't a tendency limited to the hard-core believers, but one that cropped up in all demographics.

Hendry also cites in the 1978 article a case in which rash of UFO reports in the Aurora, IL area in April 1978 were directly attributed to an ad agency in Chicago which confirmed that their plane was in the exact time and place of the sitings. In these sightings, witnesses described silent, slow moving craft that "twirled like a carnival ride" and was as "large as a football field." One witness even claimed that his television went out for two hours and several witnesses "theorized" that the UFO was a "mothership."

A couple things to keep in mind: the debunking in this case comes from a "ufologist" (Allen Hendry) and the event occurred just after movies like Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind cleaned house at the theaters.

Hendry pointed out also that in 300 UFOs that he was able to attribute to advertising planes, 91% of the witnesses reported that the "UFO made no sound." Here's an excerpt from Hendry in IUR.
...distorted observations regarding "domed discs," "treetop heights," gigantic size estimates, claims of being deliberately followed in cars, false assumptions that the ad plane's sign turning-off equated to the "UFO" rushing away faster than the eye could follow, the causality attempted between the UFO and the TV interference, and most of all, the wholly unwarranted emotional reactions exhibited by the witnesses and the immediately, nearly universal reactions exhibited by the witnesses and the immediately, nearly universal conclusion that the ad plane was from outer space… The key issue here is not that the sighting was "only an ad plane," because such a "solution" cannot in itself account for the independent witnesses' behavior and inaccuracies. I do not see this IFO as the "garbage" to be weeded out while the "real" UFOs are retained as "data," when there is a wealth of data present here about UFOlogy's old bugaboo: the reliability of human testimony [emphasis mine].

Hendry was in no way trying to discredit the value of eyewitness testimony, but rather pointing out that it's reliability cannot be taken as an a priori assumption. He has been quoted (though I cannot readily verify it) as saying, "Insulting ad hominem attacks on the witness' basic reliability are one way to gauge the strength of a case." I believe he was saying that if a debunker has to resort to attacking the witness as the only means of explaining the case, then it is more likely that the sighting is genuine.

Unfortunately, Hendry's own data shows that witness reliability itself must be suspect. Also many sightings simply haven't the data to draw from in order to investigate properly and, in such cases, it wouldn't be logical to assign more points of probability -the witnesses are just as likely to be wrong as with those cases where there is enough data to investigate and subsequently identify the source of the observation.

SkinWalker said:
Shaman, my query for data that runs counter to what I've found so far in regards to the tenable nature of eyewitness testimony was genuine. It's interesting that the proponents of it's viability chose to "attack" as you say rather than discuss the issue reasonably.

Ordinarily I would attribute this to a believer defending a faith, but in VRob's case, he/she hasn't appeared to be an overly-zealous believer in the past. With regard to some of the others, it could very well be true. The religious characteristics of the ETI-UFO movement have been noted by myself and others in the past.

i cant speak for the others here, but from were i am standing, YOUR position seems to reflect a religious fanaticism also

put it this way, no doubt therer ARe fundamentalist UFOologists. for example i remember reading a while ago that certain UFologists who are convinced that ALL UFOS, ETS are ...'extraterrestrial' werer hostile to alternative views like Vale's (shit have forgort his name for the minute...think its Jacques Valle) ideas of the connection between many modern reports of UFOs and ancient ones which relfected that Age. thus he argues many are 'interdimensional rather than 'EXTRA'terestrial'

So THAt is see as a holding to a belief-system rather than being openminded. well SkinWalker i sometimes feel that about yourself. That you tend to adhere to a mechanistic view of reality.

(((((((also SkinWalker, i've found you two adresses,
The first one is about the Brazillian UFO thang i was going on about. Not as in depth as i'd choose, but i know YOU will like it cause the person also asks the opinion of a sceptic who goes into detail to try and explain the phenemenon.....see what you think: http://ufos.about.com/library/bldata/bltimed.htm
scroll down to "1991...Mexico City"

The next one, i cannot access the videos, as my system is extremely limited.....and i am not sure if the Mexico City footage is part of that particular event, but check it out and let us know what you think as i'm sho yo will:
The Best UFO Videos Ever Taken
www.ufocasebook.com/bestufovideos1.html

scroll down to "1991 Mexico City"

Duendy,

I'm very familiar with both incidents. However, trying to influence Skinwalker's opinion on this subject is an exersize in futility. He has an agenda to debunk ALL possible relevent incidents. Myself and many others here will continue to take interest in these, and other issues related to this subject. However, if you continue to converse with Skinwalker on this subject, you'll find yourself wasting an awful lot of your time.

VRob (and everyone else),
If it's not Skinwalker it will be someone else, possibly someone thats ruder and will have complete disregard for anyones feelings.

Quite simply the subject will always have people form their own opinions, some will follow like sheep with the interpretation depicted by the masses while others will attempt to find alternatives or reasoning with the "Normal" state of the world.

For instance, the UFO syndicate as it is (those that believe and profess in UFO's and to my knowledge) have always ignored that there ever was a Cold War. The Cold War however did exist and constantly the Military mights of multiple powers weren't just flexing their muscles but their cunning too.

Preportion of that cunning involved tricking other countries into potential beliefs not just at the military level but at the level of the general populous too. (Afterall the people make legislation, so to trick the people invokes changes in legislation based on that trick which could be detremental to the funding allowed for military projects etc.)

I suggest the majority of people believe there are "Aliens" elsewhere in the universe, however it's been said time and time again "UFO's" or "Unidenified Flying Objects" (Which being Unidentified doesn't necessarily mean they are an object or are flying) doesn't automatically prove that aliens are among us or visiting us.

No amount of debate is going to undermine that fact, in fact if an alien in a vessel does get classed a UFO that still wouldn't undermine the statement in regard to the rest of the UFO's. (Purely because it would be "Identified" and no longer "Unidentified".)

Although I don't know for sure, I base my reasoning on what a study of what we have to offer gives. For instance the current space exploration that our planet has undertaken has proven that to reach for the stars costs a great deal of money which equals time, resources and commitment.

If every UFO a person saw was an alien spacecraft it would suggest that UFO's are as readibly available as a Four Door saloon car with the population of one world or worlds "Day tripping" to earth and back. In relationship to the time, resources and commitment that it takes us to get to space it would suggest either a vastly enormous number of enhabited planets working together for the common good in created the next four door model saucer with the go faster stripes or that the witnesses either lied or couldn't general a better mental depiction of what they saw since the cost of what they depict would be to great.

The reason I say it's too great is that we on one small inhabited planet within the known universe of uninhabited planets still can't get over our petty differences or work out the flaws in our governing bodies to stop them using a tried and tested method of keeping the people stupid (or at war?) to keep them controllable. (Just like religion has done in the past.) If we can't sort that out then the likelihood is we can't explore the vastness of space personally or potentially expand our habitation to other planets or space itself or lastly get the chance to rent a day tripping rental Saucer to Alpha Centauri.

Stryder said:
VRob (and everyone else),
If it's not Skinwalker it will be someone else, possibly someone thats ruder and will have complete disregard for anyones feelings.

Quite simply the subject will always have people form their own opinions, some will follow like sheep with the interpretation depicted by the masses while others will attempt to find alternatives or reasoning with the "Normal" state of the world.

I understand perfectly well about the sheep. They've been fooled over and over again by an agenda to discredit this subject for the past 40 years. The smirks, the giggles have all been taught as the proper way to respond to this subject. The ridicule factor has been planned, documented, and carried out with precision. And the sheep have followed.

Those who are unafraid of public scorn, and who are willing to view the available evidence with a truely open mind continue to face attack from the sheep.

For instance, the UFO syndicate as it is (those that believe and profess in UFO's and to my knowledge) have always ignored that there ever was a Cold War. The Cold War however did exist and constantly the Military mights of multiple powers weren't just flexing their muscles but their cunning too.

This is what really crawls under my skin. You, Skinwalker, Q, ect.... continue to label all those who have studied the available evidence, and concluded that there is something too some of the reports. Dr. Hynek, Capt. Ruppelt, many, many other credible individuals have also came to the same conclusion. You ignorantly assume that because we've come to this conclusion, that we also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and Elvis's return. Well, you're as bad as those who see Bridges on every rock formation.

I'm well aware of the Cold War, and its implications on our intelligence and military organizations.

I suggest the majority of people believe there are "Aliens" elsewhere in the universe, however it's been said time and time again "UFO's" or "Unidenified Flying Objects" (Which being Unidentified doesn't necessarily mean they are an object or are flying) doesn't automatically prove that aliens are among us or visiting us.

Wow, I now see the light. Here's a thought Stryder..... If we had PROOF, there'd be no debate!

No amount of debate is going to undermine that fact, in fact if an alien in a vessel does get classed a UFO that still wouldn't undermine the statement in regard to the rest of the UFO's. (Purely because it would be "Identified" and no longer "Unidentified".)

This is the debunkers mantra.... stick to the blurry lights in the sky. Ignore Mexico City daylight video, Washington DC(1952), Iran fighter pilot(1976), Belgium Air Force report.....

I'm well aware that a UFO, is simply something in the sky/space that cannot be identified. You show me where I've hyped a simple UFO.

See, this is what you're doing again. You're attempting to label all reports as simply unidentified. Could be a bird, could be temp. inversion, could be venus..... I ignore almost all reports unless it's collaborated by radar, pilot/ground eyewitness sightings, and it must be more than a light off in the distance.

Although I don't know for sure, I base my reasoning on what a study of what we have to offer gives. For instance the current space exploration that our planet has undertaken has proven that to reach for the stars costs a great deal of money which equals time, resources and commitment.

Was waiting for the old..... If we can't get there from here, they can't get possibly get here from there. I suggest you crawl out from under that rock you live in Stryder.

If every UFO a person saw was an alien spacecraft it would suggest that UFO's are as readibly available as a Four Door saloon car with the population of one world or worlds "Day tripping" to earth and back. In relationship to the time, resources and commitment that it takes us to get to space it would suggest either a vastly enormous number of enhabited planets working together for the common good in created the next four door model saucer with the go faster stripes or that the witnesses either lied or couldn't general a better mental depiction of what they saw since the cost of what they depict would be to great.

We do you assume that every UFO report is depicting an alien spacecraft?

Again, there you go with distance, time, money arguement. :rolleyes:

The reason I say it's too great is that we on one small inhabited planet within the known universe of uninhabited planets still can't get over our petty differences or work out the flaws in our governing bodies to stop them using a tried and tested method of keeping the people stupid (or at war?) to keep them controllable. (Just like religion has done in the past.) If we can't sort that out then the likelihood is we can't explore the vastness of space personally or potentially expand our habitation to other planets or space itself or lastly get the chance to rent a day tripping rental Saucer to Alpha Centauri.

Again, If we can't overcome our differences........

You really think that if the Universe was inhabited by other intelligent life, that we'd be at the pinnacle of that intelligence? Boy Stryder, I've seen arrogance(see Skinwalker), but this is a little over the top don't you think?

VRob,
Look very carefully towards how you reacted towards my post. I didn't say anything untrue (although perhaps fantasiful towards the end with the Alpha Centauri saucer trip) however you react with distain and an unruley zest to dismiss and perhaps even shout down.

Now I'm not pointing this out to you to criticise, I'm mearly pointing this out because thats the exact problem we have as a society. The problem is generally considered good proof that "We as a society could never really work towards an overall common goal" because our views, opinions and agenda's often don't go in the same direction.

You can boo cahoots the Time, Money and Effort factors to an arguement but why don't you think the world is covered in High-Bandwidth ultra-fast networks or why are there still people searching for cures to diseases or why do we still have a bureaucratic society when we need something that implies both fully democratic freedoms while having the speed of being automatic to keep up with an otherwise evolving world?

Memory its fallible but lets not exagerate!

I know that on internet we can find lots of articles saying amazing things about our memory weak, but exagerate.

If memory was so wak like that we could not believe in anything.

Remember the first night of sex you had? It was good and it correct that some details were are exagerated when you think of it. Maybe it was not so magic as you think, but you know that you had sex and that it was good, you were nervous, etc. Some exgarations, some details cutted, but the idea its there: you had sex.

The same for ufos...

About scientific study on ufos, at least portugueses ufologists are great. I read some old book (70s) from portuguses ufologists and the work was very good, examinated in high detail with scientific methodology.

Do you remember the Third Secret of Fatima, the 3 little shepards, etc, etc and their vision about Maria (Jesus mother) in the sky (that told the secrets)? Well, the some of that ufologists examinated in very way that phenomenon and when you read it you will be convinced that it was ufos.

I mean, there are still great workers out there, great ufologists, the problem its the stupid propaganda and stupid liars. Now days its typical to find bastards on net saying the most stupid lies about ufos. They invent storys that are so incredible and stupid that normalpeople and scientists will think that ufology its bullshits.

Someone proposed the idea that Phill Klass was real the other day. He said he "thought he saw him at a conference" He even had a picture of him. Poor fool. Along with big hairy fairy sasquatches, frog falls, the lochness monster, the Klass myth is one of the least supportable.

"The memory as trace evidence metaphor has rich implications. LIke physical evidence, meory trace evidence can be contaminated, lost, destroyed, or otherwise made to porduce results tha can lead to an incorrect reconstruction of the event in question (Wells, 2003).

The casual believer in the extraterrestrial explanation for UFOs could easily read my posts in this thread and surmise that what I've been saying is, "memory is fallible, so why use it for investigation." And, indeed, several have.

But the real message I'm trying to point out is that there are problems with using memory as evidence due to the methods of collection, as Wells points out. A poster above notes that I we can find many sources on the "internet" that speak about how "weak" memory is, but if we believe that then how can we believe anything we remember.

The answer to that is simple and two-fold: I think we remember many things incorrectly... but we get the important things, particularly those things which repeat themselves and are reinforced regularly, right. It's the rare and unusual events that we must be cautious about, particularly when using them as evidence.

Wells goes on in the PDF file that I've linked to in the reference section of this post to discuss how to go about collecting eyewitness memory in a scientific manner. The thing that both ufology and criminalistics share as problematic with collecting memory evidence is that often the investigator is working with a pre-determined result to which he/she is attempting to validate. Questions posed to the witness frequently involve only that result and avoid matters that counter it. Even the witness will often have a preconceived bias to the event. Not that bias and preconceived ideas are the only problems with using memory as evidence, but they're among the most significant.

I'm advocating the scientific collection of memory evidence, as Wells argues. When collecting trace evidence such as blood or fingerprints, investigators go to great lengths to avoid contamination and to demonstrate methods that discount contamination as probable (i.e. documenting handling procedures, photographing/sketching evidence in situ, etc.). Similar cautions "tend not to be exercised in avoiding the contamination of human memory in eyewitnesses."

Reference:

Wells, G. L. & Loftus, E. F. (2003). [PDF]Eyewitness memory for people and events[/PDF]. In A. Goldstein, Ed. Comprehensive handbook of psychology, Volume 11, Forensic psychology. New York: John Wiley and Sons.

SkinWalker said:
"The memory as trace evidence metaphor has rich implications. LIke physical evidence, meory trace evidence can be contaminated, lost, destroyed, or otherwise made to porduce results tha can lead to an incorrect reconstruction of the event in question (Wells, 2003).

The casual believer in the extraterrestrial explanation for UFOs could easily read my posts in this thread and surmise that what I've been saying is, "memory is fallible, so why use it for investigation." And, indeed, several have.

But the real message I'm trying to point out is that there are problems with using memory as evidence due to the methods of collection, as Wells points out. A poster above notes that I we can find many sources on the "internet" that speak about how "weak" memory is, but if we believe that then how can we believe anything we remember.

The answer to that is simple and two-fold: I think we remember many things incorrectly... but we get the important things, particularly those things which repeat themselves and are reinforced regularly, right. It's the rare and unusual events that we must be cautious about, particularly when using them as evidence.

Wells goes on in the PDF file that I've linked to in the reference section of this post to discuss how to go about collecting eyewitness memory in a scientific manner. The thing that both ufology and criminalistics share as problematic with collecting memory evidence is that often the investigator is working with a pre-determined result to which he/she is attempting to validate. Questions posed to the witness frequently involve only that result and avoid matters that counter it. Even the witness will often have a preconceived bias to the event. Not that bias and preconceived ideas are the only problems with using memory as evidence, but they're among the most significant.

I'm advocating the scientific collection of memory evidence, as Wells argues. When collecting trace evidence such as blood or fingerprints, investigators go to great lengths to avoid contamination and to demonstrate methods that discount contamination as probable (i.e. documenting handling procedures, photographing/sketching evidence in situ, etc.). Similar cautions "tend not to be exercised in avoiding the contamination of human memory in eyewitnesses."

Reference:

Wells, G. L. & Loftus, E. F. (2003). [PDF]Eyewitness memory for people and events[/PDF]. In A. Goldstein, Ed. Comprehensive handbook of psychology, Volume 11, Forensic psychology. New York: John Wiley and Sons.

Wow, what a debate/argument this was. It really illustrated the differences between crackpots like me ( :D ) and annoying debunkers like SkinWalker.

What I don't think he understands is that he uses "unreliable" eyewitness testimony to debunk other eyewitnesses who report anything pseudoscience-like.

Yes, eyewitness testimony can be faulty. I tend to take JUST eyewitness testimony as a 50/50 game. 50% chance their right, or 50% chance their wrong. You need more information to move beyond the 50%, such as physical evidence.

I think to some degree everyone agrees with the premise, just not the biased, slanted way you appear to use it. :m:

SkinWalker said:
When? Where?

I believe it was during a thread on the Rendelsham Forrest incident involving a guy who said he did it as a hoax. You believed his SINGLE TESTIMONY.

Some skeptics and debunkers will use eyewitness testimony to debunk eyewitnesses who report anything "exceptional".

In the Rendelsham Forrest case, I thought the explanation was pathetic. The event took place over several nights, and was seen by multiple eye witnesses. Then this one guy says he turned his sirens on (in a fog) and drove in circles as a joke. He never says anything again untill, what? 30 years later? What a good joke. It never seems to enter a debunker/skeptics mind that perhaps he was simply disinforming as apart of his job. Yet, of course the ones who support a more amazing story are automatically put through the gauntlet.

Just because witnesses support something amazing happening, that inofitself does not make them unreliable or false.

SkinWalker, the belief that ETI does in fact exist is based on a faith for me and others. Faith, not religion. There are many things we have a faith in, and just because we do, it does not mean it's a religion. Now, all of my "faith" is born from observations and study. I have a lower threshold for evidence probably so I am about 97% sure that ETI do in fact exist. I see no reason for them not to and with the large amount of historical data regarding their vehicles and body types the evidence is there, it just has other problems attached to it.

If evidence of ETI has in fact been hidden, then it would make sense of everything. As I've said before, we need to prove that the evidence of ETI has been hidden in order to prove they ever existed.

I will continue to have faith, that we will eventually find some physical evidence that has not had the chance to be hidden. Or perhaps when the classification changes.

Calling it faith-like, or even like a religion does not really matter. Because often times debunkers have an even stronger faith that ETI cannot get to our Earth. They actually "know for certain" that ETI cannot get here. If that's not faith, then what is?

In the end both groups use unreliable eyewitnesses and have a faith in the fact that they are right.

btimsah said:
SkinWalker said:
When? Where?
I believe it was during a thread on the Rendelsham Forrest incident involving a guy who said he did it as a hoax. You believed his SINGLE TESTIMONY.
But you have to consider that this isn't simply a witness, it's the perpetrator!. And I readily concede that there is a clear possibility that he is simply stating that for attention. But my critical thinking engages and I wonder, "to what end?" Is what he states as the actual occurance plausible? Are the details he offers consistent with both what he is asserting as well as what witnesses observed (or believed they observed)?

And, finally, which is more plausible given what is actually known about ETI and humanity? The hoax.

btimsah said:
Some skeptics and debunkers will use eyewitness testimony to debunk eyewitnesses who report anything "exceptional".

That is very true, and they would be wrong to do so without strict. objective, scientific methodology in the process. Which is what I'm getting at with this thread.

btimsah said:
Just because witnesses support something amazing happening, that inofitself does not make them unreliable or false.

Nor does it automatically make it reliable or true, particularly with the problems noted with eyewitness testimony both in this thread and in related research.

btimsah said:
SkinWalker, the belief that ETI does in fact exist is based on a faith for me and others. Faith, not religion. There are many things we have a faith in, and just because we do, it does not mean it's a religion. [...] Calling it faith-like, or even like a religion does not really matter.
You must have read this on my website :cool:

btimsah said:
often times debunkers have an even stronger faith that ETI cannot get to our Earth. They actually "know for certain" that ETI cannot get here.
Any "debunker" that says that is a victim of the very pseudoscience he purports to oppose.

btimsah said:
I am about 97% sure that ETI do in fact exist.
I'm about 99.9% sure ETI exist. I just don't see any convincing evidence that demonstrates clearly that they've visited our little world. And I believe that many things called upon as evidence by UFO-ETI proponents are inherantly fallacious, particularly with regard to anecdotal evidence, which is why I started this thread: to discuss it logically and perhaps have a reasoned debate.

I believe that eyewitness testimony can be obtained that is useful, but the methodology of obtaining needs to be scrutinized and reformed in order to get the highest quality testimony.

Almost everything we do is guided by faith. Faith that the actions we are taking are built on assumptions that are real or provable. When I buy or sell a home I'm asked to sign numerous forms, which I do, with only the most cursory explanation of the contents. I have faith in the realtor and the legal system. Is it deserved? Not really. Should I always be more rigorous? Probably. But I know that I'm like 9 out of 10 people and have a certain trust in authority figures. This kind of unblinking faith is a form of religion--a deference to authority and the general consensus. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

To assume that some people are rational and others are not is the biggest load of bullsh** out there. We are ALL utterly faith based when it comes to the mundane realm.

Agitprop - faith has dual meanings and you are confusing them.

SkinWalker said:
But you have to consider that this isn't simply a witness, it's the perpetrator!. And I readily concede that there is a clear possibility that he is simply stating that for attention. But my critical thinking engages and I wonder, "to what end?" Is what he states as the actual occurance plausible? Are the details he offers consistent with both what he is asserting as well as what witnesses observed (or believed they observed)?

And, finally, which is more plausible given what is actually known about ETI and humanity? The hoax.

That is very true, and they would be wrong to do so without strict. objective, scientific methodology in the process. Which is what I'm getting at with this thread.

Nor does it automatically make it reliable or true, particularly with the problems noted with eyewitness testimony both in this thread and in related research.

You must have read this on my website :cool:

Any "debunker" that says that is a victim of the very pseudoscience he purports to oppose.

I'm about 99.9% sure ETI exist. I just don't see any convincing evidence that demonstrates clearly that they've visited our little world. And I believe that many things called upon as evidence by UFO-ETI proponents are inherantly fallacious, particularly with regard to anecdotal evidence, which is why I started this thread: to discuss it logically and perhaps have a reasoned debate.

I believe that eyewitness testimony can be obtained that is useful, but the methodology of obtaining needs to be scrutinized and reformed in order to get the highest quality testimony.

Well, then we agree! :)

I have not read your site; "Religious Characteristics Of The Unidentified Flying Object / Extraterrestrial Intelligence Movement". I think heavens-gate is the exception to the rule. A lot of people who believe that ETI exist and visit us, go to church and have a religion.

I do think it's a great study, one that I could be a subject in, because I do tend to think in terms of God, religion and ETI as connected. Not that ETI is GOD, but that a God created us, as well as ETI. Almost like our world is incomplete without the knowlege of ETI and a different kind of intelligent life beyond our own. The question of ETI can be a very religious issue, because it seriously questions who or what ordains (or creates) life. We can't even agree on what created us, so how can we handle something like what created ETI? :eek: I guess it all depends on how deep we want to go.

I was reading over the report you did and I kind of started seeing how you look at this. You don't see any evidence that a God exists, as well as any evidence that ETI exists. So you ask the question; Does the UFO/ETI Craze have the characteristics of a religion?

It has some of the characteristics of religion, due to lack of physical evidence and what some may percieve as blind faith, but the major purpose of a religion is to answer the meaning of life. UFO/ETI do none of that, in fact in some ways they only further confuse the meaning.

Back