Dutch PM on trial for hate speech

I'm following a discussion, one which I did not initiate. I'm sure its more comfortable to keep parroting falsehoods for your own edification, but as Fraggle is fond of pointing out, this is supposedly a place of science, where one is supposed to challenge blatant falsehoods.

Yeah. Yeah. Whatever:rolleyes:

SAM said:
Highest ranking cleric? By whose measure? Iran's? India's? Saudi Arabia's?
The Shia of Iran, and their fellow sectarians worldwide.

SAM said:
There are a gazillion fatwas a day, many of whom contradict each other, they are like opinion columns in a western newspaper. The clergy has no authority in Islam.
Cool. Then we can ignore al-Sadr in Iraq, pay no attention to anything Khamanei says in Iran, and so forth.

Because since as clerics they have no authority, and their fatwas etc are not a matter of religion that would motivate believers, what they say just isn't very important.

The Shia of Iran, and their fellow sectarians worldwide.

Cool. Then we can ignore al-Sadr in Iraq, pay no attention to anything Khamanei says in Iran, and so forth.

Because since as clerics they have no authority, and their fatwas etc are not a matter of religion that would motivate believers, what they say just isn't very important.

Now you're getting it. Thats usually how it goes. I mean, can you think of a single fatwa which every one [or even any one] has followed?

No, I'm asking what Cat Stevens misguided or otherwise opinion has to do, with the reasons for Khomeini's fatwa.

Er...this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/14/newsid_2541000/2541149.stm

Kinda called on people to kill him there, apparently. Khomeni claimed that it was an important book nine days after the fatwa. It's possible to want two things related to the same topic simultaneously, you know.

Iran did not ban the book, did they?

Nope: just the author. BWI.

I mean we are still talking about the fatwa itself or is some other issue now under discussion?

The fatwa, I would have said.

SAM said:
Now you're getting it. Thats usually how it goes. I mean, can you think of a single fatwa which every one [or even any one] has followed?
I don't think the situation has ever been a mystery, SAM.

And if the highest ranking cleric in a large and widespread Muslim sect called on his followers and all true Muslims to kill you, my guess is you would consider hiding for a while.

It would not be an empty threat. I can't recall how many people were killed by some of those clerics followers, in the days and weeks after the fatwa, but apparently some people took that one seriously.

I don't think the situation has ever been a mystery, SAM.

And if the highest ranking cleric in a large and widespread Muslim sect called on his followers and all true Muslims to kill you, my guess is you would consider hiding for a while.

It would not be an empty threat. I can't recall how many people were killed by some of those clerics followers, in the days and weeks after the fatwa, but apparently some people took that one seriously.

Were they Shias? Did they indicate that the fatwa was a reason for their actions? The problem with assigning cause to consequences arbitrarily is that, on closer examination, it falls apart.

You know, India banned the book well before the Iranian mullahs even opened it and found the mad imam. And yet no one, but NO ONE, even questioned that decision. Even though Iran never banned the book.

Of course, we could still buy it off the street hawkers for 5 rupees. But no one even wanted to know why the Indians banned it.

Just as no one ever questioned why Pakistan banned the Da Vinci Code in their country.

Last edited:
Were they Shias? Did they indicate that the fatwa was a reason for their actions?

They were Starbucks employees. They just couldn't get over the excellent latté and had to do something serious so people would notice.

Lucysnow said:
Now come back and tell me that honor killings mirrors domestic violence!
You directed this at Bells who has not yet had the opportunity to reply.

The two forms of violence are comparable in that they both reflect a belief that men have 'ownership' of 'their' women. It is only in the last two or three decades in the UK that domestic violence has been properly acknowledged (many would argue we are not there yet). In the 1950s and 1960s neighbours and relatives would turn a blind eye to what was going on.

Are honour killings a more severe form of this phenomenon? Of course they are, but they lie on the same spectrum and have the same source. It is not religion, but an expression of innate human qualities.

The underlying attitude has changed for 'native' Britons. It can be changed for the immigrant population also. That will take the combined efforts of sincere people in bot communities. Such efforts are not encouraged by the posturing of the likes of Wilders.

(By the way, would you stop referring to him as a PM (Prime Minister) when he is an MP (Member of Parliament). I don't call you JanetSlush.)

iceaura said:

And if said cleric were the head of state in a country of tens of millions, and so had at his disposal not only a military but an international intelligence apparatus with a track record of assassinations, then doubly so.

Were they Shias? Did they indicate that the fatwa was a reason for their actions? The problem with assigning cause to consequences arbitrarily is that, on closer examination, it falls apart.

Oh? Then perhaps you should present such an examination, and illustrate the problems.

You know, India banned the book well before the Iranian mullahs even opened it and found the mad imam. And yet no one, but NO ONE, even questioned that decision.

Untrue.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/190588.stm

India took plenty of criticism for banning The Satanic Verses, although it was overshadowed by the controversy in other places, and anyway more-or-less expected after the reception Midnight's Children received there.

Just as no one ever questioned why Pakistan banned the Da Vinci Code in their country.

The issue was not banning of books, but demanding the deaths of their authors. It should come as little surprise that censorship results in fewer, and less publicized, criticisms than the public issuance of death threats.

SAM said:
Of course, we could still buy it off the street hawkers for 5 rupees. But no one even wanted to know why the Indians banned it.

India did not attempt to ban the book from the US.

That top Shia cleric put out a contract on Rushdie in other countries, and fellow Iranian officials targeted with violence everyone "knowingly" associated with the book world wide - so that in the subsequent years, for example, dozens of people were killed by Muslims in attacks on translators, something not associated with other controversial and banned books whose authors did not receive that special attention.

India did not attempt to ban the book from the US.

That top Shia cleric put out a contract on Rushdie in other countries, and fellow Iranian officials targeted with violence everyone "knowingly" associated with the book world wide - so that in the subsequent years, for example, dozens of people were killed by Muslims in attacks on translators, something not associated with other controversial and banned books whose authors did not receive that special attention.

The protests and demonstrations against the book started way before the fatwa. Can you show me any evidence that what happened after the fatwa was connected to it? The vast majority of the Muslim world is not Shia. Were any of the attackers Iranians or Iraqis or even Indian?

The protests and demonstrations against the book started way before the fatwa.

But not the murders of and threats towards translators, publishers, bookstores, etc.

Can you show me any evidence that what happened after the fatwa was connected to it?

As you say, it happened after - and not before - the fatwa, and corresponded directly with specific details of the fatwa: the targetting of translators, publishers, distributors, etc. The bookstore bombing campaigns in the US and UK began a few weeks after the fatwa was issued.

And let's also recall that the Iranian government literally put a price on Rushdie's head: if that's not an explicit inducement for followers to kill him, I don't know what is.

Moreover: what difference does it really make whether the violence is directly instigated by Khomeini, or is a larger phenomenon that he sought to position himself at the forefront of? Either way you have religion being used for violent, political purposes, willfully and in public. And effectively. Absent the ideological dimension, there's no reason for anyone to want to kill Rushdie over a work of fiction, let alone masses of people on opposite ends of the world who've never read the book in question.

But not the murders of and threats towards translators, publishers, bookstores, etc.

Hard to do that when the book is banned, but otherwise, its not only common, its also ignored when it happens in your own vicinity

On May 16, according to AP, she installed a piece of artwork by Guy Colwell entitled "Abuse." The painting (which you can see at www.nobeliefs.com/abuse.htm) is an elaboration of the torture that went on at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. In the foreground of Colwell's painting are two grinning U.S. soldiers, one man and one woman, with American flags on their sleeves. The man is holding a cattle prod, and the woman, a cigarette dangling from her mouth, is holding electrical wires. Those wires are attached to the fingers of three naked male Iraqi detainees, who are standing on cylinder blocks. The prisoners are hooded. In the background, two other American soldiers in sunglasses are leading a shackled and blindfolded woman into the room.

Haigh placed the painting in the front window of her gallery. Two days later, "someone threw eggs and dumped trash on the doorstep," AP reported, and "people started leaving nasty messages and threats on her business answering machine." She told AP that she received "about 200 angry voicemails, e-mails, and death threats."

So she decided to remove the painting, but still things got worse.

One day, someone walked into the gallery and spit in her face.

And then on May 27, someone "knocked on the door of the gallery, then punched Haigh in the face, knocking her out, breaking her nose, and causing a concussion," AP said. Two days later, she still had a bad black right eye, with purple on the cheek next to the eye, one bandage over the nose, and another over her right eyebrow.

The abuse was too much for her--she has two young kids--so she has closed her gallery down. If you go to capogallerysf.com, you will see a picture of the gallery's front door, with yellow caution tape across the front. "The Capobianco Gallery is closed," the site says.

"This isn't art-politics central here at all," Haigh told AP. "I'm not here to make a stand. I never set out to be a crusader or a political activist."

On Saturday, May 29, artists, poets, and other defenders of the First Amendment rallied in support of Haigh, her gallery, Colwell, and free expression.

"In effect, the attackers, instead of writing 'Jew' on the window, wrote 'Artist' on the window," poet Jack Hirschman, who spoke at the rally, tells me. "The attack was really something out of the Brown Shirts."

Hirschman says more than 100 people attended.

"This is all too scary for me," Haigh, who was at the rally, told the San Francisco Chronicle. But the paper said she was "visibly moved by the show of support" and is "weighing her options."

(I could reach neither Haigh nor Colwell for comment. I called the phone number of the gallery and got only this message: "Thank you for calling the Capobianco Gallery. Please leave a message after the tone.")

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0603-08.htm

Do you think we'll see newspapers publishing the paintings to show solidarity?

XMAIN-739360.jpg

The vast majority of the Muslim world is not Shia. Were any of the attackers Iranians or Iraqis or even Indian?

Most of the perpetrators were never caught, so we can't say.

All of the ones who were identified have been Muslims.

Given the long-standing contest between Iran and various Sunni movements for the mantle of revolutionary Islam, it is likely that Khomeini's fatwa directly induced Sunnis to target him, since it made him a valuable political football in that contest.

No kidding

So you agree that your point about it being difficult to target such in countries where the book is banned is irrelevant?

Closer than Netherlands, at any rate.

I meant that it isn't ignored, not that SF isn't in my vicinity. As your excerpt describes, a hundred of the exact same types that displayed solidarity with Rushdie showed up to support the gallery.

So you agree that your point about it being difficult to target such in countries where the book is banned is irrelevant?

I meant that it isn't ignored, not that SF isn't in my vicinity.

Yeah I see how it isn't ignored. In fact, I see how its a major issue as well.

Censorship happens everywhere, because there are always ideas about what is "right" and "wrong" but only when its Muslims does it become a global issue that is all one big conspiracy against freedom. We're supposed to simultaneously believe that Sunnis are killing Shias and following their leader.

Censirship happens everywhere, because there are always ideas about what is "right" and "wrong" but only when its Muslims does it become a global issue that is all one big conspiracy against freedom.

The specific religion is incidental: it's only when a group wages a violent global campaign against speech they object to that it is a big conspiracy against freedom.

If Netanyahu teamed up with a senior Rabbi to put a price on the head of, say, Norman Finkelstein, or the Pope on that of Christopher Hitchens, you can expect a similar response.

Back