Does Jesus (pbuh) ever claim to be God in the Bible? (No Atheists Please)

Absolutely,

He said before Abraham was "I am" literally Jehovah, literally Jesus equates himself with Jehovah. For whcih the Jews sought to stone him.

Phillipians 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

In Genesis 1 God in the plural says the earth was created.

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are co-equal and the same. There is no jealousy in the God-head.

Q.E.D.

I wonder if God-head is better than regular head?

absolutely, "two heads are better than one" . how about three heads?

With the name "Woody," I'd have thought that innuendo wouldn't have gone over your head (no pun intended).

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

I guess they didn't know about sciforums where there is always controversy. :D

Nobody expected you to understand it ithopal.

Nobody expected you to understand it either SkinWalker.

That's why this thread was supposed to be for nonathiests.

" this thread was supposed to be for nonathiests."

I don't bend a knee to a god, why should I to the original poster? :cool:

Woody said:
Absolutely,

He said before Abraham was "I am" literally Jehovah, literally Jesus equates himself with Jehovah. For whcih the Jews sought to stone him.

This is just playing word games. This is similar to.

When Jews were doubtful about the identity of a particular blind
beggar who had been healed by Jesus, the blind beggar - who was no
more blind, kept saying; "I am (he)" (John 9:9, K.J.V.). Does that
make the blind beggar, God!

Really now tell me God said "I AM" the beggar said "I am" both God right?

As for the stoning part.

You must remember that the Jews stoned many prophets, did they claim to be God Almighty?

Even Jesus (pbuh) says that the Jews "stonest" the prophets.

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! (From the KJV Bible, Matthew 23:37)"

The question is were the prophets claiming to be God? If not then why were they stoned?

The simple answer is that the prophets never claimed to be God, they were stoned by the Jews because the Jews never accepted their message. Jesus (pbuh) is no different.

Phillipians 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Like the rest of us, Christ was fully human and had the outward form (morphe), of a human. However, because he always did the Father’s will and demonstrated godly behavior and obedience, he therefore had the outward “appearance” (morphe) of God also. Also, like the rest of us, his appearance (schema) regularly changed. Thus, in Philippians, 2:8 schema can be synonymous with morphe, or it can place an emphasis on the fact that the appearance Christ had as a human being was transitory in nature. The wording of Philippians 2:6-8 does not present us with a God-man, with whom none of us can identify. Rather, it presents us with a man just like we are, who grew and aged, yet who was so focused on God in every thought and deed that he perfectly represented the Father.

After saying that Christ was in the form of God, Philippians 2:6 goes on to say that Christ “did not consider equality with God something to be grasped” (NIV). This phrase is a powerful argument against the Trinity. If Jesus were God, then it would make no sense at all to say that he did not “grasp” at equality with God because no one grasps at equality with himself. It only makes sense to compliment someone for not seeking equality when he is not equal. Some Trinitarians say, “Well, he was not grasping for equality with the Father.” That is not what the verse says. It says Christ did not grasp at equality with God, which makes the verse nonsense if he were God.

In Genesis 1 God in the plural says the earth was created.

Then why in the whole world none of the Bible's translate the verse by using the word "Gods". The Hebrew language has the plural of respect.

The Hebrew word is "Elohim" the "im" is a plural of respect.

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are co-equal and the same. There is no jealousy in the God-head.

Q.E.D.

You fail to prove that Jesus (pbuh) is God let alone the doctrine of Trinity.

Peace be unto you :)

Obviously the plural form of El refers to the rest of the Canaanite pantheon from which Judeo-Christian gods are derived.

El was the head of the gods and father of all the gods (except Baal) as well as consort to Athirat.

Much of the two main texts that exist in Genesis have their origins in the Canaanite pantheon. The early Jewish priests probably faced a dilemma in separating their people from the others in the region and creating a new, true religion. That was how to offer something that was new without being too different. The people were familiar with the Canaanite gods and worshipped them, so by saying "Elohim," the Jewish priests were able to offer authority and credibility.

Jesus said, "O Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." - (Matt. 26:39-42)

Peace be with you, Paul

Jesus was not received very kindly by the religious and powerful of his day. The chief priests and officers answered to Pilate, "We have a law, and by our law He ought to die, because He made himself the SON OF GOD" - (John 19:7).

Peace be with you, Paul

I know exactly what Jesus meant when he said that he and God are one. There's nothing weird about that.

If the theists have had their say, may I point out that Jesus didn't write the bible, or anything else that we know of.

So, he may be God, but that doesn't mean that you aren't too. One should recognize the need of the early Christian church to solidify it's authority by declaring Jesus a freak, and them as his only representative.

Did Jesus ever claim to be God?

The argument that Jesus never claimed to be God is bogus. If Jesus never claimed to be God, then why was he tried on charges of blasphemy?

The best known verse in the Bible is John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This passage tells us that God gave His only Son. This indicates that God only had one Son and that he had been given. What makes this statement so important is that God didn’t say He would give His Son, but that the Son had already been given. The second issue with this passage is Jesus was speaking. If he wasn’t the Son of God, why didn’t he tell the disciples who the Son of God was?

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:16-18

Jesus continues in the next two verses to tell the people that if they did not believe in the name of the Son of God they would perish. If Jesus was not referencing himself in these passages, and eternity was riding on this name, surely someone would have demanded that name be revealed. In Acts 4:12, Luke says that there is only one name that a person is saved by, and that is Jesus. During the life of Jesus he had to have claimed He was God, or these passages are without meaning if you assumed that they didn’t know that his name was in fact Jesus Christ.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. Acts 4:12-13

Jesus wanted his disciples to be clear on who he was. He point blank asked His disciples this question, “Who do men say that I am?” The answer was not revealed by worldly wisdom, but from heavenly intervention.

When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. Mat. 16:13-17

With this much evidence one has to ask how did this “Jesus never claimed to be God” get started?

When Jesus refers to himself in the scripture he does it by his human title Son of Man. So those who try to attack the deity of Christ claim these references as declarations of his humanity and a denial of his deity. Jesus never denied His deity by recognizing his humanity.

Just for the sake of argument let us suppose that Jesus Himself never claimed to be the Son of God. There are others in the Bible who did.

1. The prophets knew He would be God

Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Mat. 1:22-23

2. The disciples acknowledged it

And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. Mat. 14:32-33

If Jesus was not God why didn’t he rebuke them for worshipping Him?

3. God revealed it to Peter.

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. Mat. 16:16-17

4. The guards knew He was the Son of God.

Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God. Mat. 27:54

5. The devils knew He was the Son of God.

….there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.

And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? Mat. 8:28-29

Only God can torment devils.

6. God proclaimed that Jesus was the Son of God.

And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Mat. 3:16-17

Jesus proved he was God when He forgave sin. If only God could forgive sin, Jesus must be God.

And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee. And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth. Mat. 9:2-3

It is important to note that it was the religious leaders of Jesus’ day that claimed he blasphemed. The religious leaders understood that only God could forgive sin. Let me illustrate this in a way you can understand. If I hit you, I cannot ask forgiveness from your friend. Only you can forgive me because I transgressed against you. When Jesus said He forgave this man’s sins he claimed that the sick man had transgressed against him personally.

It has always been Satan’s desire to discredit Jesus as the Son of God. Satan’s purpose is clear; if there is only one name given among men whereby someone could be saved he has to corrupt mankind’s view of the name of Jesus.

Woody said:
Did Jesus ever claim to be God?

The argument that Jesus never claimed to be God is bogus. If Jesus never claimed to be God, then why was he tried on charges of blasphemy?

The best known verse in the Bible is John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This passage tells us that God gave His only Son. This indicates that God only had one Son and that he had been given. What makes this statement so important is that God didn’t say He would give His Son, but that the Son had already been given. The second issue with this passage is Jesus was speaking. If he wasn’t the Son of God, why didn’t he tell the disciples who the Son of God was?

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:16-18

Jesus continues in the next two verses to tell the people that if they did not believe in the name of the Son of God they would perish. If Jesus was not referencing himself in these passages, and eternity was riding on this name, surely someone would have demanded that name be revealed. In Acts 4:12, Luke says that there is only one name that a person is saved by, and that is Jesus. During the life of Jesus he had to have claimed He was God, or these passages are without meaning if you assumed that they didn’t know that his name was in fact Jesus Christ.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus. Acts 4:12-13

Jesus wanted his disciples to be clear on who he was. He point blank asked His disciples this question, “Who do men say that I am?” The answer was not revealed by worldly wisdom, but from heavenly intervention.

When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. Mat. 16:13-17

With this much evidence one has to ask how did this “Jesus never claimed to be God” get started?

When Jesus refers to himself in the scripture he does it by his human title Son of Man. So those who try to attack the deity of Christ claim these references as declarations of his humanity and a denial of his deity. Jesus never denied His deity by recognizing his humanity.

Just for the sake of argument let us suppose that Jesus Himself never claimed to be the Son of God. There are others in the Bible who did.

1. The prophets knew He would be God

Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Mat. 1:22-23

2. The disciples acknowledged it

And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. Mat. 14:32-33

If Jesus was not God why didn’t he rebuke them for worshipping Him?

3. God revealed it to Peter.

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. Mat. 16:16-17

4. The guards knew He was the Son of God.

Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God. Mat. 27:54

5. The devils knew He was the Son of God.

….there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.

And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? Mat. 8:28-29

Only God can torment devils.

6. God proclaimed that Jesus was the Son of God.

And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Mat. 3:16-17

Jesus proved he was God when He forgave sin. If only God could forgive sin, Jesus must be God.

And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee. And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth. Mat. 9:2-3

It is important to note that it was the religious leaders of Jesus’ day that claimed he blasphemed. The religious leaders understood that only God could forgive sin. Let me illustrate this in a way you can understand. If I hit you, I cannot ask forgiveness from your friend. Only you can forgive me because I transgressed against you. When Jesus said He forgave this man’s sins he claimed that the sick man had transgressed against him personally.

It has always been Satan’s desire to discredit Jesus as the Son of God. Satan’s purpose is clear; if there is only one name given among men whereby someone could be saved he has to corrupt mankind’s view of the name of Jesus.

Do you ever read the answers I have given? Must I ALWAYS repeat my answer to everyone who asks about the SAME VERSE again and again.

It has always been Satan's desire to mislead humans. Satan's purpose is clear: if there is only God who can save us, he corrupt's makind's view of a man to elevate him to the status which he was not.

Hi,

Okay I want to continue. Are there any verses unanswered? (Please please don't repeat the verses especially John 10:30 :D )

786 said:
(Please please don't repeat the verses especially John 10:30 :D )

Why not? that's the one where he says that he is one with god. god speaks through his body. the self speaks through his body. he just meant that he had found himself (the real self... is the same as what religions call god)

Are you muslim.. cool. there are not many here.

Jesus had the consciousness of God (hence, I and my father are one)

However, Jesus was in a material body, which is why he is called the son of God. Remember, according to Jesus, Satan is the ruler of this world (material world), and the Kingdom of God isn't visible, it is within you (the observer).

Woody said:
If Jesus never claimed to be God, then why was he tried on charges of blasphemy?
Because he said e was the king of the Jews, the fulfillment of the prophesy that the savior of man (not God) would come to earth.

Jesus did not ever claim that he was God.
It was interpreted that way in various ways by various apologists, but Jesus never did claim to be God.
He DID claim to be the son of God (just as he said that all mankind were the children of God), but never that he WAS God.
In fact, it is quite clear that he didn't believe that he WAS God or he wouldn't have spoken to himself on multiple occasions.

yes, Jesus quite clearly is a God (regardless of whether this is Jesus the person or Jesus the fictional character). and i can prove it

Humans give birth to baby humans
Dogs give birth to baby dogs
Gods give brith to baby Gods...

Back