Does God implicitly consent to everything that happens?

Nasor

Valued Senior Member
If we believe that God is all-powerful, wouldn't that mean that he implicitly consents to everything that happens, since he chooses not to intervene? If so, does that mean that God 'wants' people to suffer from natural disasters etc?

If I saw you walking into a street with a speeding car but I did nothing to stop you, that implicitly means I wanted you to suffer injuries or even death.

:rolleyes:

If we believe that God is all-powerful, wouldn't that mean that he implicitly consents to everything that happens
Yes.

If so, does that mean that God 'wants' people to suffer from natural disasters etc?
No, God allows evil for a greater good. But it's importan to realize that God does not do evil for a greater good. The two are different. Accepting that position would mean that men also could do evil for a greater good.

§outh§tar said:
If I saw you walking into a street with a speeding car but I did nothing to stop you, that implicitly means I wanted you to suffer injuries or even death.

:rolleyes:

Yes, actually, it does. Why are you rolling your eyes?

Nasor said:
If we believe that God is all-powerful, ....?

If you believe that God is really all-powerful, this means that he is no more somebody else's god as there would be no "less-powerful" aside from his "all-powerful" being. If all-powerful, then, all-powerful alone exists, all-powerful alone does everything...

Nasor said:
...wouldn't that mean that he implicitly consents to everything that happens...?

See, it is an "imagination of god" that we have been conditioned to believe or consider, who thinks and acts like a human being and gives consent(!) to whatever...

Nasor said:
... does that mean that God 'wants' people to suffer from natural disasters etc?

Avoid identifying the causes of your feelings --emotions-- as outside of yourself!

This and similar questions are all based on the imagination of a god(!) and a separate people(!) beside, to execute his power over them???

We can see here how the god preconceptions blind our mind from seeing the facts as they are!!

Our lives in this world is our only chances to know what is referred to as "Allah" as our true reality... I believe, after we can destroy all the preconceptions of god in our minds, we will have really enlightening discussions. :)

Time to read 'Religious Misunderstandings' at www.ahmedbaki.com :)

How can god allow evil for a greater goodness? Evil is evil. And god hates evil. That means evil is necessary for goodness to exist. Actually the real evil is free choice...because from free choice evil arises. And remember this is only how god "sees" it must be like. There are other options. Other possibilities. Another god can create things in a different way and still be right. If I was god I would make it impossible for evil period. People can still have free choice but it would be between being "neutral" (not good or evil...just a bored state like I am in now) and goodness. That's all that's necessary for free choice. It would save a lot of heartache and pain. And nobody wants evil either. The "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" commandment is just common sense. So why is evil even there? I would personally get rid of it. Does that make me ungodly to get rid of something that nobody wants anyway? Especially if it was done to them?

Also if freedom is so precious and god wants us to be free in mind and choice then why was it ok for believers to have slaves (in the old testament)? Didn't god know that slavery goes against freedom? Physical freedom is just as important as mental freedom. Actually the two are quite connected. If a slave didn't want to obey his master but was forced to then his free choice is being affected.

Last edited:
Sufi, I still have a hard time trying to separate everything that is man from the oneness that you speak of. Where did all our unique qualities come from if it didn't come from the creator?

How can god allow evil for a greater goodness? Evil is evil.
Imagine a world where when you had mind to do evil, God would stop you with force. Would you call such behavior on the part of God good? Would this lead you into God's love or to hate God?

And god hates evil. That means evil is necessary for goodness to exist.
No, but some virtues such as mercy do not seem to be applicable or revealed unless if sin occurs.

Actually the real evil is free choice...because from free choice evil arises.
Creating the potential for evil is not in itself creating evil.

If I was god I would make it impossible for evil period. People can still have free choice but it would be between being "neutral" (not good or evil...just a bored state like I am in now) and goodness. That's all that's necessary for free choice. It would save a lot of heartache and pain. And nobody wants evil either. The "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" commandment is just common sense. So why is evil even there? I would personally get rid of it.
You would not be able to do that because it would limit the amount of goodness that someone could receive. There really is no middle state when all is done.

Does that make me ungodly to get rid of something that nobody wants anyway? Especially if it was done to them?
It's not possible for you to remove sin alone. You might be able to swap anger for lust, lust for pride, but it's not possible for you alone to remove sin.

Nasor,

If we believe that God is all-powerful, wouldn't that mean that he implicitly consents to everything that happens, since he chooses not to intervene? If so, does that mean that God 'wants' people to suffer from natural disasters etc?
Apparently so. The reasoning seems to be that the physical world is simply a testing ground and that any pain and suffering we experience is a test of our true character, of how we deal with it personally and how we help others. In the grand scheme of things where we each have the potential of eternal lives then our apprenticeship on Earth is an insignificant drop in the ocean. But the real test is in how we deal with confrontations with others and how much we have faith in God. His promise to us is eternal life through Jesus Christ and Jesus said love your neighbors, and most importantly love your enemies and turn the other cheek if struck. It is not our task to seek revenge, to harm others in any way, but to love only. If evil is done to us and we die then we will be rewarded in heaven and it will be God who takes revenge on the wrong doers in his own time. Our duty is to be faithful to the teachings and direction of Jesus, God will do the rest. We should not be sidetracked by the trivia of Earthly life but focus only on loving others.

That I believe is the real sentiment behind the Christian mythology and why I became a Christian many many years ago. Of course very few Christians have found it possible to turn the other cheek when faced with real confrontation. Even fundamentalist Christians like Bush prefer to bomb and kill innocent Iraqis rather than let God deal with the issue. And it is very difficult to turn the other cheek when your child is about to be raped and murdered before your very eyes. How does one stay focused on Jesus and trust him in times like that, and do nothing? If the teaching of always turning the other cheek is what is needed then self-defense can never be justified. And if the world is overrun with corruption and evil then it does not matter providing we stay true to God and do no harm and love others with all our energy. Our reward is eternal bliss in heaven.

The greater the conflict on Earth then the better the test for us.

Of course there is one big fundamental problem with all of that – there is absolutely no shred of evidence that any of that is true. Shame.

Kat

§outh§tar said:
Yes, if you had the power to snap your fingers and save me from the danger but chose not to, then that would mean you implicitly consented to me being hit by the car. Choosing to not intervene when you have the ability to easily do so is obviously tacit approval of whatever is happening.

@ TheErk and Nasor

Next time such an accident happens, I expect anyone in a position to help will be held on intent to murder, eh?

If I walked into a police station full of armed cops and started randomly shooting people, and the cops made no effort to stop me, then we would have to assume that the cops didn't have a problem with what I was doing. Similarly, if I do anything and God doesn't stop me, it must mean that God doesn't have a problem with what I'm doing – otherwise he would prevent me from doing it, right?

If a tornado destroys a house, then God must have approved of that, since he could have stopped it from happening with a trivially small effort and chose not to.

§outh§tar said:
@ TheErk and Nasor

Next time such an accident happens, I expect anyone in a position to help will be held on intent to murder, eh?
Not murder, but in the United States there is a crime called 'depraved indifference to human life' that pretty accurately covers the situation of someone allowing someone else to die when they could easily have prevented it.

For example if you're standing in a boat with a large pile of life jackets and there's a man drowning in the water in front of you, yelling for help, and you don't make any effort to help him into the boat or throw him a life jacket, you would probably be charged with depraved indifference.

Also, of course, there is a difference between what someone can be charged with in court and what someone is morally culpable for. I could behave like an insensitive jerk and that wouldn't be against the law, but that doesn't mean that it's the morally correct thing for me to do.

Nasor said:
Not murder, but in the United States there is a crime called 'depraved indifference to human life' that pretty accurately covers the situation of someone allowing someone else to die when they could easily have prevented it.

For example if you're standing in a boat with a large pile of life jackets and there's a man drowning in the water in front of you, yelling for help, and you don't make any effort to help him into the boat or throw him a life jacket, you would probably be charged with depraved indifference.

What if you don't want to get the life jackets wet because they're brand new? ;)

§outh§tar said:
What if you don't want to get the life jackets wet because they're brand new? ;)
True, sometimes there's a down side to helping people – and you have to consider that when deciding whether or not to take action. No one would argue that you're obligated to rush in and rescue a person in a burning building that's about to collapse, for example. Or perhaps you just don't want to get your new life jackets wet.

But for an omnipotent being that can literally do anything, it's hard to imagine how there would ever be a down side to helping people.

Or perhaps you just don't want to get your new life jackets wet.

Things can be replaced. Life cannot.

But for an omnipotent being that can literally do anything, it's hard to imagine how there would ever be a down side to helping people.

Some people learn best from experiance. Unfortunatly I am one of those people.

Nasor said:
True, sometimes there's a down side to helping people – and you have to consider that when deciding whether or not to take action. No one would argue that you're obligated to rush in and rescue a person in a burning building that's about to collapse, for example. Or perhaps you just don't want to get your new life jackets wet.

Yes, but you are implying that God has a responsibility. I don't see how the relationships between human beings, as you have even pointed out in your example about the law, should be applied to God.

Are you saying because it feels like the right thing to do at the moment of peril, that makes it the right thing to do for someone who sees things from a grander perspective?

§outh§tar said:
Yes, but you are implying that God has a responsibility. I don't see how the relationships between human beings, as you have even pointed out in your example about the law, should be applied to God.

Are you saying because it feels like the right thing to do at the moment of peril, that makes it the right thing to do for someone who sees things from a grander perspective?
No, I'm not saying that God would necessarily be morally obligated to intervene on our behalf simply because he is able to. I'm saying that since he doesn't intervene, he's implicitly consenting to whatever happens.

Nasor said:
No, I'm not saying that God would necessarily be morally obligated to intervene on our behalf simply because he is able to. I'm saying that since he doesn't intervene, he's implicitly consenting to whatever happens.

Well, when you put it that way, yes. Absolutely, and the Bible reveals that He does actually allow obstacles to mankind. But then you must never forget that the same God removes these obstacles. :)

Back